The Shackled City Adventure Path by GM Rutseg

Game Master Balacertar

Chapter 8 - LORDS OF OBLIVION

Cauldron map
Redgorge map
Current map

Campaign Index / Campaign diary
Loot sheet
Old loot sheet (Maxim)

Group Stealth (passive): -5 (Kikinnin)
Group Stealth (active): 5 (Kikinnin)
Group Perception: 27 (Marigold)
Group Sense motives: 30 (Marigold)
Group Spellcraft: 24 (Maxim)
Group Appraise: 23 (Maxim)


7,651 to 7,700 of 10,425 << first < prev | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | next > last >>

Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

JJ:
When you shake Alex he seems not to react, but you can overhear his whisper "When the final cage is shackled the burning doom shall rise" after he finishes the sentence, he pauses for a second or two and then repeats the same sentence, over and over.

After your thumbs up, Maxim emerges from the mirror.

Starry Mirror:

The coins seems just normal recent coined Cauldron copper coins.

After looking intently into the mirror you see the waving image until Alek appears in the strange vault, but this time you see JJ is there shaking him.

JJ suddenly turns and makes a gesture of thumbs up with a forced smile in his face. A second later, Maxim appears in the scene again, as if he had emerged from the same mirror you are looking through.

Marigold and Kikinnin:

JJ suddenly turns and makes a gesture of thumbs up with a forced smile in his face. A second later, Maxim appears in the scene again, as if he had emerged from the same mirror you are looking through.

Maxim:

When you move over the mirror, you feel somehow like passing through a sheet of water. Differently to the others that seemed easy, this one somehow offers some kind of resistance. You loose the notion of time and space during a second and suddenly you find yourself in a totally different environment.

You step out of a pentagonal, five-foot-wide mirror set into a wall of this square room. Twelve seven-foot-tall clay urns stand against the walls to either side, and an iron door, its face covered with countless scratches and chips, blocks an eight-foot-tall archway in the wall opposite the mirror.

Alek lays against the scratched iron door, sit down and broken. His red eyes show that he has been weeping for a while, and the bleeding blisters on his hands testify to his frantic attempts to escape the chamber. He remains there as if he had not noticed your arrival. The paladin of Abadar seems to be muttering something over and over.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

GM:
JJ turns to the mirror and says slowly and carefully.. hoping someone can read his lips
"Alex says : "When the final cage is shackled the burning doom shall rise""

Then he takes out some food and water, offering it to his uncle before moving to inspect the door.


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Kikinnin, Maxim:

"I'll g-go too, JJ's as good as a b-brother to me," Marigold calls out resolutely. Seeing Maxim appear in the same space as JJ and Alek only strengthens the halfling's resolve and she too attempts to push through the strange portal.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

GM Rutseg:

Kikinnin goes back to his mutterings, expecting that what he sees might be seen by Ryan and Juraan, and may pull them into the colored chambers in the near future.

This time, he selects a tavern song, which gives him something to look forward to, should they eventually be able to return to Cauldron, and cold brews.

"If you seek to drown your sorrow, take a deep seat,"

"Drink until the morrow, and let the sad thoughts retreat."

"Close your eyes, bow your head,"

"Enjoy the sunrise, forget the dread..."

There is a reason the dwarf catches rats for a living, as his voice rarely remains in the same key for more than one stanza...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

GMR, JJ:

Maxim eyes the paladin with a hard stare, then affixes the same onto JJ as the young man slowly drones fell portents...

The wizard draws his pistol slowly and deliberately eying both swordsman and holy warrior;

"Surabar... Tell me you're with me... that you ain't addled nor bewitched. The words yer speakin' ain't those o' a sane man..."

He holds position trying to take measure of the situation;

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

GM (curious souls may want to peek after the whole mirror thing has finished):

JJ Bluff or Performance (to convey a message): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Kikinnin, Marigold, Ryan and Juraan:

You observe JJ in the mirror looking at you and speaking strangely slowly, with ample lip moves he seems to say something about final shackle is born.

Maxim then points JJ with his gun and looks inquisitive and tense at him.

Seconds later, Marigold appears through the mirror, just exactly as Maxim did a second ago.

JJ and Maxim:

Marigold steps out of the mirror to accompany you in the room with Alek.

Marigold:

When you move over the mirror, you feel somehow like passing through a sheet of water. Differently to the others that seemed easy, this one somehow offers some kind of resistance. You loose the notion of time and space during a second and suddenly you find yourself in a totally different environment.

You step out of a pentagonal, five-foot-wide mirror set into a wall of this square room. Twelve seven-foot-tall clay urns stand against the walls to either side, and an iron door, its face covered with countless scratches and chips, blocks an eight-foot-tall archway in the wall opposite the mirror.

Alek lays against the scratched iron door, sit down and broken. His red eyes show that he has been weeping for a while, and the bleeding blisters on his hands testify to his frantic attempts to escape the chamber. He remains there as if he had not noticed your arrival. The paladin of Abadar seems to be muttering something over and over.

Maxim and JJ are there and Maxim is pointing JJ with his gun and looking tense.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Maxim,Marigold:

"Relax Maxim, I'm just repeating Uncle Alex's... rambling... for the help of those looking through the mirror. "

He turns to examine the steel door that blocks the exit.

"Don't worry uncle Alek, we'll get you out of here.."

JJ tenses his muscles to try and open the door (assuming there is no handle on this side)
STR: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

"Anyone got a crowbar?"


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

JJ, Maxim:

"We d-don't even know where it g-goes!" Marigold snaps as JJ rather nonchalantly tries to open the door leading out of the room. She then turns her attention to the rambling Alek, eyeing him warily.

"He s-seems mad, j-just like..." but she doesn't finish the thought. Instead, she attempts to cast a bit of magic and scan Alek and the room they stand in for magical auras.

Please don't let this turn out like the last time...don't let him be beyond saving!


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Alek's Vault:

Diplomacy JJ+built relationship: 1d20 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 1 + 5 = 26
Diplomacy Marigold: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24

Marigold detects a lingering abjuration aura in the door. She also finds magic in Alek's longsword, full plate, shield, cloak and ring. She finds out the longsword is holy and the ring is a ring of sustenance, which explains why he might be able to survive for so long here trapped and why he did not react much to JJ's food offer.

JJ pushes the door with incredible strength and it seems to shake a bit but it does not concede to his single effort. Alek though seems to notice it and looks up. The paladin opens wide his red eyes "JJ... JJ? JJ what... what are you doing here? Did you came to save Cauldron?"


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

JJ, Maxim:

"Oh...he's g-got a Ring of Sustenance, no w-wonder he's been able to s-survive in here..." Marigold muses as she notes the various items that Alek wears. All of that is forgotten however when Alek suddenly stirs at JJ's door-thumping.

I didn't sense any enchantments on *him*...

She waits, not wanting to butt in on a touching family reunion, but also to see if Alek is as sincere as he appears to be...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

Alek's Vault:

JJ starts as Alek talks. "Uncle Alek... You're back. You were rambling... "

He smiles at his uncle.

"We are here to save you actually. And through you, Cauldron. There is a whole army heading to Redgorge because of a challenge you are supposed to have made... We need you to step up and tell them to stop."

He pauses.

"But how did you come to be here? We found the plate in our old home in Redgorge, and followed the clues to the spellweavers abode which was overrun with giants. What were you looking for here?"

The anxious young man offers Marigold a smile as her finally ontices her arrival. "You made it! I hope Ryan and Jurran can join us. Maxim, do you have magics that could open the door?"

Then he looks around the room for anything else that may be of interest. "What is in the jars..." he suddenly asks, realising they were big enough to hold a person...


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Starry Mirror:

Ryan looks at Juraan, a bit worried as Maxim raised his pistol but relaxing a bit as things seem to settle back down. "Juraan, did JJ repeat the same thing that I heard Alek say?"

watching a bit longer, but getting impatient.... "The plan was to remain here but should we join them?"


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

JJ, Marigold:

Maxim nods at JJ's acknowledgement of sanity, then scans the room, focussing on the steel door as the impetuous swordsman attempts to muscle it open;

"Hold off with that Surabar... We ain't got a clue where that goes or what in tarnation is on the other side. Be canny fer once lad!"

The gun-mage scowls as he examines the door;

"Do indeed have magicks that'll hopefully open this door... ain't about to cast 'em though - not till we know what yer Uncle is about with all that babblin..."

GMR: Nothing from Maxim's Sense Motive above?

The dwur beckons to those hopefully watching, waving them to come to them. He then turns toward the large urns;

"LIl' Miss - you get anything from them urns? Like Surabar says I'm conscious they could be holdin' something or someone... Or be ready to be filled..."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Maxim and Marigold:

Alek is in a troubled mind state, full of despair to such degree that it costs to think he is the same strong and reliable person you met back in Cauldron. But at the same time his movements and way to talk does not seem the ones of a person dominated by magic, and his speech still holds freedom to make you think it's not the product of a charmed mind.

Alek's Vault:

You check the clay urns and they are completely empty. The urns itself are ancient, but plain and probably are not worthed more than a few silver coins.

"An... army... to Redgorge?" the man seems to make an effort to understand after so many days without talking with anyone, an effort to come out of his mind and reset himself into the reality "A challenge, yes I challenged the corrupted ones, but why they would attack Redgorge?"

"The plate, you followed the plate too..." Alek seems to have trouble recomposing his memories and finding words to answer before JJ, anxious as he is for having finally found his uncle, rushes through the conversation.
I am both RPing Alek's state and also trying to make some time so hopefully the others can join and listen Alek's story from his own voice


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

JJ, Maxim:

"H-he seems like he's in charge of his s-senses," Marigold whispers to her two companions. "That's g-good, very good!"

As Maxim begins waving towards the mirror she too nods and waves, hoping that Ryan and Juraan are still watching.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Starry Mirror (Ryan and Juraan):

You see JJ and Alek talking while Maxim and Marigold listen.

Marigold then waves looking at you through the mirror and makes signals for you to come in.

Kikinnin:

You tirelessly sing your song of best tavern days, after a while you start to lose breath but nevertheless continue trying despite no one seems to answer your song.

At some point you see JJ and Alek talking while Maxim and Marigold listen.

Marigold then waves looking through the mirror and makes signals inviting to approach.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

GM Rutseg:

Kikinnin watches the slightly tense moment come and go, not overly surprised that his bror felt the need to prepare hostility. He almost pushes his way through, Axe primed, but he remembers his task, and the Taskerhill still lingering beyond the mirror...

He keeps up his vocalizations, this time choosing a dwarven throat drone, the kind used to track a scout tapping a new vein of deep ore, when she gets out of sight, but still needs to be heard. He paces the colorless room, and waits to hear new, but familiar, voices.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Starry Mirror:

As Ryan watches both JJ and Marigold seem to indicate he and Juraan should enter. JJ alone wouldn't have enticed him to enter as the young man had been known to be reckless in the past, but Marigold's indication changed his mind .....

Turning to Juraan "This is probably against my better judgement but it took them a while to reach Alek, I'm going to enter as well, are you coming?"

Stepping through the looking glass Ryan isn't sure what he should expect.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Ryan:

1d6 ⇒ 5
You appear in a pentagonal room. The room is empty and you cannot see anyone here. The ambient light is blue color.

On each of the five walls there is a mirror exactly like the one you trespassed in the Starry Mirror. Each mirror reflects a room exactly like yours but the ambient light is orange, yellow, red, violet, or green instead of blue.

There is no trace of Kikinnin or the others, but you hear the voice of the dwarf coming from nowhere in particular singing a tune "If you seek to drown your sorrow, take a deep seat,"

"Drink until the morrow, and let the sad thoughts retreat."

"Close your eyes, bow your head,"

"Enjoy the sunrise, forget the dread..."

Juraan:

I assume you enter just same after Ryan
1d6 ⇒ 2
You appear in a pentagonal room. The room is empty and you cannot see anyone here. The ambient light is orange color.

On each of the five walls there is a mirror exactly like the one you trespassed in the Starry Mirror. Each mirror reflects a room exactly like yours but the ambient light is blue, yellow, red, violet, or green instead of orange.

There is no trace of Ryan or the others, but you hear the voice of Kikinnin coming from nowhere in particular singing a tune "If you seek to drown your sorrow, take a deep seat,"

"Drink until the morrow, and let the sad thoughts retreat."

"Close your eyes, bow your head,"

"Enjoy the sunrise, forget the dread..."


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Kikinnin:

Arriving within the blue room, Ryan turns seeking the others but sees nothing beyond his own reflected room in different hues. Yet a well known voice reaches his ears.

"Master Kikinnin Rouradont, I believe that tune was better received after a drinking contest, where are you?"


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Ryan, and likely Juraan:

"You're not wrong. My mind's sitting in the Tipped Tankard. My body's standing in my own, personal Colorless Room, waiting to help the last of us cross over. Name your color, and I think we'll move ahead, and join the others. I think there's really only one way out of this Maze, once you enter."

When Kikinnin hears the color of Ryan's room, he talks the priest through the linking of colors to the numbered pattern '3-4-5-1-2-3'.

"I'm getting better at it, for the time sitting here. If you're starting in Blue, then you're gonna move through the following Mirror colors: Orange--->Purple--->Blue--->Purple--->Orange--->Blue."

"Juraan, what's your color?"

Kikinnin has it ready in his mind, when the drakblood announces it.

"If Red, move through the following colors: Green--->Orange--->Red--->Orange--->Green--->Red."

"If Orange, move through the following colors: Blue--->Yellow--->Orange--->Yellow--->Blue--->Orange."

If Yellow, move through the following colors: Purple--->Green--->Yellow--->Green--->Purple--->Yellow."

If Green, move through the following colors: Red--->Blue--->Green--->Blue--->Red--->Green."

"If Blue, move through the following colors: Orange--->Purple--->Blue--->Purple--->Orange--->Blue."

"If Purple, move through the following colors: Yellow--->Red--->Purple--->Red--->Yellow--->Purple."

When the black beard has ushered both remaining Watchers through their Colorless Room Mirrors, and sees them arrive alongside the rest of his companions, including Alek, Kikinnin steps through his own Mirror to join them.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Starry Mirror:

"Well, at least something good is happening now."
Juraan walks into the mirror after Ryan, hoping for the best

Kikinnin & GM Rusteg:

"Thank the gods, Kikinnin!
"I thought I just became a figment of a hangover.
"But then again, you never get hangovers.
"Joking aside, I think I've got this...
"Blue, yellow, orange twice, yellow, blue, and orange thrice.
"Here goes..."

Without further ado, Juraan steps into the blue mirror, and them proceeds
to go through the succession of mirrors per Kikinnin's instructions.


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Guided by Kikinnin's voice Ryan and Juraan find their own ways to the colorless room. There, they trespass the mirror and join the others in Alek's vault. Moments later Kikinnin steps in, the party finally gathered together once more.
Vault's map

Alek is explaining about his adventure to JJ when the others arrive "...I found the plate while exploring the jungles looking into a hint of what might be the corruption affecting Cauldron" Alek waits to take air, still affected by his despair and desperation "It was in a cave of an ogre, I defeated in combat... I... followed the way there scribbled until I found the ruins of Varprak's Voice. The heralds of the gods came to me JJ!"

"They explained me the danger we were on in Cauldron, and told me how I had been chosen to defeat that evil danger and save the land. They let me taste the drink of gods and I did became stronger than I had ever dreamed off" he offers you to look at his cloak "and the celestial archons also gave me this cloak. I am sorry I had not explained this to you when I came back to Cauldron, but they wanted me to keep secret the meeting from everyone until the right moment, so the forces of evil could not strike against me"

Alek makes a break to gain forces to continue with his story. It is then when you can see his hands with wounds of trying to break through the stone door in the vault.


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ looks sadly at Alek, but smiles as his friends arrive in the room.

"Uncle Alek... we met those arcons too. I also drank! I think I'll be able to handle that door pretty easily now. But I have bad news. The arcons... they were hags in disguise. Horrible creatures that pretended to be you, and then attacked us." he shudders at the memory.

He pauses, offering a happier memory.

"Earlier... we also met my grandmother. My real grandmother."


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim raises a bushy brow at Alek's tale of woe;

"Don't bode well for the fate of those in the story when a holy warrior like Tercival here is duped so easy... Must run in the family..."

The gun-mage allows his wry comment to tail off his words as he continues to observe the exhausted paladin;

Sense Motive on Alek: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

The dwur then moves toward the door that JJ was attempting to muscle open. He runs his hands and eyes o'er its surface and the surrounding wall;

"Right.. Les'see what we got here..."

Perception (Traps/Secret Doors/Mechanism to open etc): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Ryan follows Kikinnin's directions and then steps through the final mirror to joins Alek and the others. With Alek still sitting on the floor, looking worse for the wear, Ryan offers him a hand up. Ever wary that this is another imposter.

sense Motive: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29

if happy that this is the genuine article, Ryan seeks Abadar's healing mercies on his paladin.

Channel Energy: 5d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 2, 5, 6) = 18

"Time to go home and we need you in a better state"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Alek negates with the head to JJ affirmations "No, no. They were the heralds of heaven. They showed me a great catastrophe would fall over Cauldron unless I act. And I acted. After looking for the help of the Chisel, we found that at least we could end with one of the pawns in this conspiration. Terseon Skellerang. It was a tough decision, but ultimately the safety of Cauldron is paramount over current laws, which are being used against the city itself. That is why I challenged him, so we could at least control the guard of the city"

"When I was to move over Cauldron once more, the strength the archons gave me suddenly disappeared. I grow scared I could have lost the gift of the Heaven, and without I won't be able to defeat Skelerang, so I came back to look for more" Alek looks at you confused not understanding who Nidrama is. When prompted to, he continues with his story "The archons gave me more of the gift. Then explained me it was too late to safe the government of Cauldron and I had to act immediately. They told me the ultimate weapon to safe Cauldron before it falls to the looming catastrophe was to go into the Starry Mirror and open up this Vault"

The paladin receives Ryan's channel with relieve, his hands healing quickly, although his mind is still troubled and his eyes red of weeping "I spent weeks trying to find my way through the color labyrinth... only my ring saved me from starving to death..." the paladin shows his ring of sustenance "But now, when I arrived here, I found I cannot move back into the mirror, and the strength of the heavens has abandoned me once more and I am not strong enough to force open the Vault"

"And now you have followed my steps and I have condemned you too." Alek looks at you with wide gone eyes "We are doomed. And Cauldron will fall due to my weakness"

Ryan, Maxim and Marigold:

Alek's words are troubled, but you do not sense on him any attempt to lie or hide anything to you.

Maxim examines the doors structure and finds no mechanism, but he detects and arcane lock, which will do breaking the door by sheer strength something difficult, although magic able to break the lock will ease that. An analysis of the walls also detect some other abjuration magics.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin takes in the new surrounds, giving Alek a quick Look, as he has little else to go on at the moment. At Will- Detect Evil on the Pally

"Listen to your blood, Alek. Your eyes were deceived. We slayed three hags, pretending to be angels, who offered me the same drink that you and the boy were eager to accept. We know what you went through, because we just went through it. Giants, hags, mirror shard monsters... and here we are, hoping you'll help us return to make things right."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Kikinnin:

You see no evil aura on Alek.

Alek says no with the head "I do not want to wrong you Kikinnin. Perhaps you fought some hags, but I am sure the archons came to me, they choose me as a savior. If the hags have killed them, now, I am alone to complete their quest before Cauldron is doomed. But this door is closed. We will die here" the other times proud and strong Alek Tercival you met back in Cauldron is now taken by doubt and trouble, he collapses in despair once more as he finishes his sentence realizing of the group current situation.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin hears all he needs to hear from the maudlin paladin. He retreads his initial words, and finds no stronger way to convince the man that he was deceived, as he still speaks on divine inspiration, and the task he still has laid before him. When Alek declares himself to be alone, Kikinnin simply looks at JJ, and waits to hear what a blood relative can say to lift Tercival from his mental morass...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Maxim focusses on the task at hand, keeping half an ear on the discussion with between the broken holy warrior and his bror, who he doubts could ever be.

He pauses to frown at the collapsed paladin;

Hell's teeth I though he'd be made o' sterner stuff. Mettle o' our company's faithful has taken poundings worse an' yet here they are..."

The dwur rises from his crouch before the door;

"Alright then... Bad news is this here portal's got an arcane lock. Smashin' it down will likely be folly - even with Surabar flexin' his divine muscles..."

Maxim then smiles wryly...

"Good news is, I've got a pick for the lock... My knock enchantment should open the way..."

... before his frown returns;

"There's also trace magicks in the walls - ain't sure what they signify. Best inclination is school o' abjuration that deals with wards an' such. Could mean we tread careful goin' through that door. Could be that door is enchanted an' not meant to be opened, but seein' as we ain't exactly got much choices I'm reckonin' I unlock the door and we let Tercival there spring any traps..."

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Sense Motive DC15:

You realise Maxim is joking about the last part of the plan. Mostly.


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Kikinnin nods slowly, hoping to see Alek perk up with Maxim's sunnier forecast. "Yeah, let's get the door open, and take our leave. This place is too cramped for the lot of us. It's sure to dim one's hope, being stuck in here for too long."


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"I still have the strength of heavens. Let me try once again before using your magic Maxim.." urges JJ.

He again approaches the door, takes a big breath and tries to heave them open.

And happy to accept guidance type buffs if offered.
STR: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

"ugh..."

"If the Spellmason made this place, then maybe it will take magic to open it... go ahead Maxim." he offers, stepping back and putting a reassuring hand on his uncles shoulder.

"We'll save cauldron, but Uncle... I think we need to talk about your challenge when you are feeling more recovered. I think it is only leading to more chaos and hurt for Cauldron."


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Dimly light only by Alek's holy sword JJ attempts to open the door pushing it with his inhuman strength. The effort is fruitless though. Moving to the side to let Maxim try, the gunslinger focuses his arcane magics on the door.
Knock Caster Level check: 1d20 + 6 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 6 + 10 = 31

As he concentrates in the spell the door shakes, then dust start to fall from the ceiling and walls of the Vault as the strong magics fight each other. Maxim pushes harder with his magic against the door and slowly it starts to raise, and as the door raises, the magics in the Vault seem to start failing, the abjuration auras going down after centuries.

While the room opens you start to see the base of the pillars, and among them, you spot a couple of huge feet. As this door opens, another door at the other side of the room slides open to the up too, and a pile of sand starts to flow in the new room. As the door progresses into its movement up, you can appreciate better the figure in the room, four arms grace the torso of this towering monstrosity. With the face of a wolf and the horns of a bull the monster's eyes shine with a mix of intelligence and cruelty.

Abyssal words reverberate in the room "છેલ્લી સદીઓથી મારી સદીઓ સુધી"

Abyssal:
"At last free from my centuries confinement!"

Initiative:

JJ (+2 underground): 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 = 10
Kikinnin: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Marigold: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Maxim: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Juraan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Ryan: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Alek: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Nabthatoron: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

All but Kikinnin:

This is Nabthatoron himself, Lord of the Demonskar.

Without waiting for others, Alek wields his sword that starts to shine light strongest than ever raising the light level of the room. With a sudden fury, the paladin of Abadar charges with a primal frenzy over the monstrous figure shouting at the top of his lungs capacity "WHEN THE FINAL CAGE IS SHACKLED THE BURNING DOOM SHALL RISE!"

Before he can reach the monster bashes at Alek with one of its pincers breaking the paladin's shoulder.
Pincers (thanks to Combat Reflex): 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (18) + 20 = 38
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (2, 6) + 10 = 18

Despite the pain Alek clashes with the figure cutting through with ease with his sword while some of his wounds heal by the divine grace of Abadar!
Holy longsword+charge+smite evil: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 + 3 = 30
Slashing/Magical/Good+holy: 1d8 + 2 + 8 + 2d6 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 8 + (5, 3) = 26
Lay on Hands: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 4) = 9

K. planes DC 23 (JJ auto succeeds due to his downtime study actions):

Nabthatoron is a Glabrezu, a chaotic evil demon. Immune to electricity and poison and resistant acid to acid, cold and fire. As other high ranked demons, he enjoys a high spell resistant and has damage reduction against non good aligned weapons.

No one can hide from a glabrezu as he has true seeing. Likely, they have spell abilities, like confusion or teleport, and it is said they can concede a wish to a humanoid mortal once a month.

All this make you think Nabthatoron was trapped here unable to teleport until you broke the magical seals in order to escape yourselves from the vault.
More specifics on a higher roll

Foe: 26 damage
Alek: 9 damage (-2 AC charge)
Round 1: Marigold, Maxim, Ryan, Alek, JJ, Kikinnin, Foe


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

"It is Nabthatoron himself!" cries out the young swordsman, who finds himself now a staffman.

"He is highly resistant to the elements, and immune to fire. But not to Arkast!"

He dashes forward to aid his uncle, launching a quick blow at the demon.
attack, outsider bane, FT(FE): 1d20 + 17 + 3 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 3 + 6 = 36
Okay, quick breakdown of that, +9 from level, +8 from STR for base of +17; +3 from the staff (+1 and outsider bane adding another +2); +6 vs demons due to his favored terrain bonus in the abyss translating into a FE bonus against natives of it, but doesn't stack with his FE of evil outsiders)
damage,STR, staff, FE, bane: 1d6 + 12 + 3 + 6 + 2d6 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 3 + 6 + (1, 6) = 30
Similar breakdown, STR is +8 (+12 two handed); staff is usually +1, +3 vs evil outsiders, FE bonus as above, and +2d6 from the outsider bane bonus damage

"My great grandfather fought you, and I'll finish the job"

unfortunately for JJ the demon gets a bonus vs him as well due to his trait. Extra +1 to hit and damage. This is going to hurt.


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

With Alek charging to the fore and JJ likely close behind, and the thing before him obviously evil. Ryan calls down Abadar's divine power, to strengthen Kikinnin's own broad shoulders, knowing his axe would be put to good use shortly.

Cast Bull's Strength, +4 strength for 9 minutes


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 1

Status:

AC = 28 v Big Baddie(Smite)
HP = 94/94
Weapon Equipped = +2 Dwarven Greataxe
Condition(s) = Bull's Strength, Smite, Divine Bond

Kikinnin watches as both Alek and JJ dash forward, while Ryan bestows Abadar's Strength on him. "Bror, that your alter ego? Didn't you buy something fancy to preen at that ball?" The black beard steadies himself, as he eyes the horrorshow to the north. Swift Action- Smite Evil

"Well, if we're trying to bring that bull down, we're gonna need all the help we can get..." Kikinnin pats his Axe, bringing it to a torchy glow. Standard Action- Divine Bond, Holy

Only when he's reasonably sure he's done enough does Kikinnin move forward, though he only reaches the top of the stairs at an armored run. Move Action- Run 3x


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Geeze, missed a bunch today.

Before Opening the Door

Marigold frowns, looking very worried as more of Alek's story comes to light. She glances at Maxim and the others, lowering her voice to whisper, "D-do you think this is all a s-setup? I feel like th-this quest to s-save Cauldron that he's been g-given is only m-meant to make things worse and f-further someone's agenda!"
____________

Marigold's Round 1

Kn. Planes (DC 23): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

When the door slides open to reveal the Lord of the Demonskar himself, Marigold knows that Alek as well as themselves have been had. Someone wanted Nabthatoron freed.

We can't fall - we can't!

"ના! તમે આ સ્થાન છોડશો નહીં!" Marigold cries as she steps up behind Kikinnin and offers up a prayer to Sarenrae to bolster herself and her friends.

Abyssal:

"No! You'll not leave this place!"

Marigold vs. SR (Prayer): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
____________

Marigold moves to her current position and casts Prayer.


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 1

Maxim eyes the revealed demon in awe, then stifles a hard grin at his bror's comment;

Hell's Teeth, that costume was pretty darn accurate iffen I don't say so myself!

As the others pour forward, lead irrepressibly by JJ, the dwur mulls his options;

"I ain't fur getting tagged by that brute! Leastways not if I can avoid it!"

The gun-mage pulls forth a wand, engaging its magic upon himself Standard Action - use Wand of Displacement: 1 Charge) causing his position to shift a couple of feet from where he just stood.

He then drops the wand (free action) and moves forward, drawing his loaded double barrel as he goes (20ft Move + free Action)


Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

JJ:
The bonus to STR is an enhancment and does not stack with the belt of giant strength (I am unsure if you had this into account).
We are not currently in the Abyss but in a dungeon inside a desert. So the +6 does not apply, but you can apply your FE bonus vs evil outsiders.
That means the final roll is 33 or 34 if I got it right.

JJ has been preparing for this moment since his first encounter with Celeste, and he does not doubt a second. The young man pushes himself against the enemy, that does not doubt to bash at him with his pincers as he did with Alek.
Pincers+scion of Surabar (thanks to Combat Reflex): 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 20 + 1 = 25
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage+scion of Surabar: 2d8 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (3, 4) + 10 + 1 = 18

Recognizing JJ's blood, the demon pierces through the man's belly with his pincers opening a deep wound.

Helped with Alakast JJ's takes it back smashing the demon's snout with a burst of holy energy. The clash is with other worldly strength, JJ's muscles still stronger than normal.

Ryan casts a spell on Kikinnin, and his muscles also strengthen. The dwarf calls to his frar and the sword shines with holy energy.

Marigold's prayer seems to not affect Nabthatoron, but fills both rooms just enough to reach even JJ.

Cautious, Maxim uses his wand of displacement and readies his gun.

Nabthatoron brings all his attention to Alek "તમે મને સારી રીતે સેવા આપી છે, પણ હું તમને મારી યોજનાઓને થોડું મોંઘી રોકવા જોખમ નથી લેતો."

Abyssal:
"You have served me well, but I would not risk you stopping my plans little pawn"

With a smile of joy in his face, Nabthatoron cuts one of Alek's arms with his pincers, while the paladin manages to avoid the second one. The hands that protrude from the demon's belly claw on the paladin, while it finishes with a bite on the shoulder that makes Alek lose balance and fall.
Pincer 1: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (8, 7) + 10 = 25

Pincer 2: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (1) + 20 = 21
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (5, 4) + 10 = 19

Claw 1: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (9) + 20 = 29
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 1d6 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Claw 2: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 20 = 22
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 1d6 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Bite: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (16) + 20 = 36
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Overtaken by his wounds, Alek falls unconscious over the tiles of the vault.

Foe: 52 damage, slightly damaged
Buffs: prayer (+1 luck to almost all rolls)
Alek: 76 damage, unconscious, dying (-2 AC due to charge)
JJ: 55/73 damage
Kikinnin: Bull's strength 9 min
Maxim: Displacement 5 rounds
Round 2: Marigold, Maxim, Ryan, Alek, JJ, Kikinnin, Juraan (x2) Nabthatoron

Forgot to place Juraan in the initiative, but he won initiative to Nabthatoron last round


M HP 101/101 | AC 23, touch 11, flat-footed 22 | Fort +13, Ref +7, Will +15 | Init +1, Perception +7, Stealth -2 | speed 30' | Channel Positive Energy 7/7 (6d6 ) | Inspiring Word 8/8 (+2 / 6 round) | Agile Feet 8/8 |Cleric Spells (0 -4/4, 1st -7/7, 2nd-6/6, 3rd-6/6, 4th-5/5, 5th-5/5, 6th-3/3)

Round 2

Spotting Alek falling to the ground from the creatures attack plus JJ receiving as well as he gave, seeks Abadar help once again.

"Abadar, grant your healing, as we fight this devil's spawn."

Channel Positive Energy: 5d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 6, 6, 6) = 21


Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 2

Status:

AC = 32 (Smite, Total Defense)
HP = 94/94
Weapon Equipped = +2 Holy Dwarven Greataxe (Divine Bond)
Condition(s) = Bull's Strength, Prayer, Total Defense, Smite

Kikinnin watches in horror as a fellow follower of Abadar is cut down like crystal, slumping to the floor, bleeding.

The full-plated dwarf decides that caution is the better part of valor, and stalks forward, taking pains to cover himself with both shield, and outstretched Axe. Standard Action- Total Defense

"Damn my eyes but you're a monstrous thing."

Kikinnin looks across at JJ, and wonders which one of them gets cut down next.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ, impatient at the best of times, reckless with the gods elixir and now facing not just the type of creature he has been training for - but the age old foe of his grandfather, lets the holy staff Alakast do his talking for him.

Stepping forward he offers a flank for Kikinnin, but knows that against this foe, there is no tactics, just brute strength.

GM:
I dropped you a note with details of JJs str and favored enemy calculations. I think I have them right, but feel free to reduce as required.

flurry of rolls:

Base attack is +9
+8 from Str
+3 from weapon
+6 from FE
+1 from prayer
-2 from TWF
primary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (2) + 25 = 27
TWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (14) + 25 = 39
secondary attack, TWF: 1d20 + 25 - 5 ⇒ (1) + 25 - 5 = 21
ITWF attack, TWF: 1d20 + 25 - 5 ⇒ (19) + 25 - 5 = 39
Damage is
d6 - base
+3 - weapon enhancement
+6 FE
+1 prayer
+8/+4 str (but fighting two handed so only normal TWF strength bonus applies)
+2d6 bane.
Attacks are good aligned.
primary damage(blunt,magic,good): 3d6 + 18 ⇒ (6, 5, 4) + 18 = 33
TWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 3d6 + 14 ⇒ (5, 4, 1) + 14 = 24
secondary damage(blunt,magic,good): 3d6 + 18 ⇒ (1, 6, 4) + 18 = 29
ITWF damage(blunt,magic,good): 3d6 + 14 ⇒ (2, 3, 2) + 14 = 21

"Uncle Alex was never your servant!" he shouts back at the demon as the holy staff crashes into the source of the whole regions demon-infestation.


Male CN Human : Fighter 1 (Archer) / Eldritch Knight 2 / Dragon Disciple 1 / Sorcerer 9 (Crossblooded) - Level 13, CR 12 | HP: 52/76 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 23 | F: +9, R: +6, W: +9 | Init: +2 | Perc: +15, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | Acid Ray (1D6+4): 7/7 | Magic Claws 1d6+1+1d6 acid 7/7 | Spells: 1st 4/7, 2nd 2/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 5/6, 5th (3/3) | Active conditions: (blessing of fervour, greater invisibility), Hero Points: 1

Round 1
Taking JJ's warning to heart, Juraan takes out his bow and casts a spell: « ערלעכקייט בויגן » . . "gravity bow", in terran

Round 2
Standing behnd Marigold and Maxim, Juraan now tries his bow on Nabthatoron:
long thorn: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 3) + 3 = 7
(+1 comp longbow, using gravity bow, bless, precise shot)

That damage wasn't too inspiring!


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 2

Though she sees Alek fall, Marigold knows that she can't rush to his aid - not yet.

Strong offense, we need to be strong or we fall

She begins casting again, this time summoning a strange, ghostly-looking figure that appears in front of the horrible demon and attempts to strike at him with a ghostly whip...

Marigold vs. SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Marigold vs. SR (Hero Point Reroll): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Assuming that reroll beats Nab's SR...

Spiritual Ally vs. Nab (Whip): 1d20 + 6 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 5 = 17
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Spiritual Ally vs. Nab (Whip): 1d20 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 1 + 5 = 15
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
____________

Marigold casts Spiritual Ally, or at least tries to. Feel free to change its icon; I just picked something real quick so you'd know where it is on the map!


Male Dwarf Spellslinger Wizard 6/UC Rogue 4/Arcane Trickster 3 | HP 100/100 | AC 24/T18/FF19 | F+10, R+14, W+11| Perception +12; Darkvision 60ft. | Init +4 | Move: 20ft.| Hero Points: 1 | Grit: 1/1
DC5 Knowledge Local check:
Known as "Garthûn's Gun" in Cauldron.
Key Skills:
+22 Disable Device; +19 Know (Planes); +16 Know (Arcana) & Spellcraft; +15 Appraise; +14 Craft (Alchemy) & Stealth; +13 Escape Artist & Sense Motive

Round 2 Cond/Buffs: Displacement 1/5 Rounds

Maxim continues up the stair (10ft Move) then draws a bead on the huge demon before them as he scowls at the creatures words;

My servant? Tercival was either duped, like a cat's paw or we're through trustin' any o' this...

He charges the weapon with an essence of his magic (Arcane Strike - Swift Action) then lets loose with both barrels! (Standard Action);

Ranged Touch @ -4: +1 Double Barreled Pistol (+Prayer): 1d20 + 9 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 9 + 1 - 4 = 17

Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 1 = 6 Treated as Magic for overcoming DR

Ranged Touch @ -4: +1 Double Barreled Pistol (+Prayer): 1d20 + 9 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (18) + 9 + 1 - 4 = 24

Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 = 8 Treated as Magic for overcoming DR


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ire of the Storm: Ire of the Storm maps; Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Juraan casts a spell and his bow becomes stronger.

Ryan advances until he can see JJ and reach him with his call, then a wave of positive energy fills you, healing the group but excluding the demon.

Nabthatoron launches an attack while Kikinnin approaches, but the strong clasp of the dwarven shield allows him to bash to the side the attack!
Pincer AoO 1: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (4, 8) + 10 = 22

The demon's smile disappears when he spots Alakast and how JJ deathly wields it against him with a whirl of thundering and radiantly shinning attacks that crush through the strong natural defenses of Nabthatoron twice!

Juraan shots his bow but his arrow seems as effective as a toothspick against Nabthatoron. It is just deflected without him seeming to notice it.

Marigold calls for an ally, in a heroic fight of magical energies a crackle makes it obvious the halfling succeeds at piercing through. When Nabthatoron sees the ghostly figure he seems to rear back for a second, but then the force whip does not seem to hit the demon's armor. At least this time.

Nabthatoron punishes Maxim with his pincer for shooting at him at the reach of his hand.
Pincer AoO 2: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (18) + 20 = 38
Bludgeoning/Evil/Chaotic damage: 2d8 + 10 ⇒ (2, 5) + 10 = 17

The bash breaks a couple of the spellslinger's ribs as he seems to totally ignore the dwarf's displacement.
True seeing

Maxim's shots land true on the huge demon, but the bullets, without holiness, prove ineffective against him.

Alek seems to wake up, thanks to Ryan's healing. The paladin picks up his sword from the floor and speaks with an otherworldly tone "Magic and death soon play their hand from windows on high above the land" he then attacks from the floor, his sword shinning with sacred light.
Holy longsword+smite evil-prone: 1d20 + 10 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 10 + 3 - 4 = 23
Slashing/Magical/Good+holy: 1d8 + 2 + 8 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 8 + (2, 4) = 17
Lay on Hands: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7
But his swing is unable to cut through Nabthatoron's skin, but a heavenly energy heals more of the paladin's wounds.

"તમે મને ભયંકર અસર કરી રહ્યા છો! તમે મારા પ્રાચીન દુશ્મન, સુરર છો !? ના, હવે તે મરણ પછી વૃદ્ધ હોવો જોઈએ, અને તે તમારા કરતાં વધુ શક્તિશાળી છે. પરંતુ તમે તેને જેવી ગંધ કરો છો, અને તમારી પાસે એલાકાસ્ટ છે શું તમે સુરરનો પુનર્જન્મ છો ?!" Nabthatoron seems to halt a second to talk while looking angrily at JJ and touching one of his worst wounds "કોઈપણ રીતે, હું જોખમ નહીં લઈશ. હું નિષ્કપટ એક સમાપ્ત જ્યારે ત્યાં બંધ કરો" as he says his last sentence JJ suddenly goes into a halt, stunned, while he lets Alakast fall to the floor.
Concentration (cast defensively) DC 31: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35

Secret duration:
2d4 ⇒ (2, 2) = 4

Abyssal:
"You are hurting me mortal! Are you my ancient enemy, Surabar!? No, he must be old to death now, and he was way more powerful than you are. But you smell like him, and you have Alakast. Are you Surabar's reincarnation?!"
"Either way, I will not take the risk. Stop there while I finish the brainless fool"

Spellcraft DC 23:

The demon then picks up the staff from the floor with one of the hands in his breast.
Holy longsword+smite evil-prone AoO: 1d20 + 10 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 10 + 3 - 4 = 12
Alek fruitessly attempts to cut at him with his sword.
Marigold spiritual ally has a chance on an AoO
Kikinnin is on total defense

Nabthatoron: 97 damage, considerably wounded
Buffs: prayer (+1 luck to almost all rolls)
Alek: 49 damage, badly wounded
JJ: 73/73 damage, stunned X time
Kikinnin: Bull's strength 9 min
Maxim: 43/60 Displacement r6
Round 3: Marigold, Maxim, Ryan, Alek, JJ, Kikinnin, Juraan, Nabthatoron


Male HP 104/112; LoH 2/3 (6d6); Potions: CMW(3) AC 27(29 SoF), Touch 15, Flat-footed 19, Fort 15(reroll 1/day), Ref 14, Will 13; resist fire&acid/10; Perception +19 (extra from FE/FT))

JJ reels on the floor, his senses overcome by the foul word of the demon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Ratcatcher 13 HP 160 l AC 31, T 13, FF 30 l CMD 29 l F +20, R +14, W +18; +2 vs poison, spells/spell-like abilities l Init +1 l Senses: Perception +1, Darkvision

Round 3

Status:

AC = 28, Smite
HP = 94/94
Weapon Equipped = +2 Holy Dwarven Greataxe (Divine Bond)
Condition(s) = Bull's Strength, Prayer, Smite

"JJ, what in the hells... pick it up!!" The black beard can't believe his eyes, when the savagery from the boy ends abruptly, and the monstrosity picks up the staff. It doesn't occur to him that he's also lost the flanking edge against the Nab.

For all his preparation, Kikinnin only hopes that Abadar hasn't abandoned him, as well as Alek...

"Abadar, I stand here, ready to bring this beast down, with the help of my friends, several who worship You, and follow Your path. If this thing bests us, Your number of followers will be dimmed like the squish of a candle flicker. Guide my Axe, and let this demon know it's unwelcome in these lands."

+2 Holy Dwarven Greataxe, Smite, Prayer, Bull's Strength, Power Attack: 1d20 + 15 + 3 + 1 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (19) + 15 + 3 + 1 + 2 - 3 = 37 for 1d10 + 5 + 18 + 1 + 2 + 6 + 2d6 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 18 + 1 + 2 + 6 + (4, 2) = 46 damage, Smite and Holy included

Second Swing: 1d20 + 10 + 3 + 1 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 3 + 1 + 2 - 3 = 24 for 1d10 + 5 + 9 + 1 + 2 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 9 + 1 + 2 + 6 = 31 damage

edit:

Confirm Critical?: 1d20 + 15 + 3 + 1 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 15 + 3 + 1 + 2 - 3 = 38 for 2d10 + 10 + 36 + 2 + 4 + 12 ⇒ (9, 7) + 10 + 36 + 2 + 4 + 12 = 80 damage, Smite included

Not sure if the Smite is included in the x3 Axe damage, but a dwarf can dream...


HP 127/127 l AC 22, T 13, FF 22 l CMD 18 l F +13, R +9, W +15; +2 bonus vs. illusions l Lucky Halfling (1/1), Spray of Shooting Stars (2/3), L1: 8/8, L2: 7/7, L3: 2/7, L4: 7/7, L5: 5/7, L6: 4/4 l Init +7 l Senses: Perception +18, Concentration +19 | Female Halfling Oracle (Heavens) 13 l Active Conditions: l Hero Points 1/3

Marigold's Round 3

Spellcraft (DC 23): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Marigold isn't sure what the demon just did to JJ but she knows it can't be good. As her ghostly ally continues to try and flail at Nabthatoron, she attempts to call on another powerful but of magic...

Marigold vs. SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

...but the magic fails to materialize against the powerful demon!

Spiritual Ally: 1d20 + 6 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 5 = 30
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Spiritual Ally: 1d20 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 1 + 5 = 26
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Crit!?: 1d20 + 1 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 5 = 9
Damage (Force): 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

7,651 to 7,700 of 10,425 << first < prev | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [AP] The Shackled City by GM Rutseg - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.