DM Carbide's Rise of the Runelords

Game Master John Woodford

COMBAT MAP

SANDPOINT MAP

SANDPOINT AND ENVIRONS


1 to 50 of 766 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Human (Varisian) Harrow Sorceress / 1

.


Party Inventory

Along the Lost Coast, in Western Varisia, lies the town of Sandpoint. The settlement is isolated on land by mountains, crags, and forests. A natural cove provides travel, trade, and prosperity to an otherwise sleepy settlement.

Autumn has come to Sandpoint, and with it, the Swallowtail Festival. The town has had many hardships in the past few years, but the residents make ready to move on. The new cathedral is a grand structure for such a small settlement. Its completion is a cause for celebration, after the Late Unpleasantness.

An hundred or so townspeople pack into the town square near the cathedral. A Chellish woman with short, red hair takes the stage in front of the new church. Her strong brow and prominent cheekbones lend trustworthy, leader-like features to her. She commands the attention of the crowd with naught but her voice. "Welcome to the Swallowtail Festival! As most of you know, my name is Kendra Deverin. I am honored to serve as mayor of Sandpoint. I'd like to extend my welcome to the strangers I see in the crowd. I hope your visit to our wonderful town is proving to be a memorable experience. Thank you for joining in on our festivities. To the familiar faces I see today, I extend a heartfelt thanks. Thank you for everything that you have done to make this town strong in recent years."

She points to a man in the crowd. "Even old Larz Rovanky has torn himself away from the tannery to join us today. Imagine that!" The crowd shares a heartfelt laugh. Kendra goes on. "Eat, drink, play! Enjoy all that our town has to offer. We have a few more speakers, and then we'll leave you be. Sheriff Hemlock, if you please." Kendra exits the platform as a tall Shoanti man in plan chain mail armor takes takes the stage.


Party Inventory

Along the Lost Coast, in Western Varisia, lies the town of Sandpoint. The settlement is isolated on land by mountains, crags, and forests. A natural cove provides travel, trade, and prosperity to an otherwise sleepy settlement.

Autumn has come to Sandpoint, and with it, the Swallowtail Festival. The town has had many hardships in the past few years, but the residents make ready to move on. The new cathedral is a grand structure for such a small settlement. Its completion is a cause for celebration, after the Late Unpleasantness.

An hundred or so townspeople pack into the town square near the cathedral. A Chellish woman with short, red hair takes the stage in front of the new church. Her strong brow and prominent cheekbones lend trustworthy, leader-like features to her. She commands the attention of the crowd with naught but her voice. "Welcome to the Swallowtail Festival! As most of you know, my name is Kendra Deverin. I am honored to serve as mayor of Sandpoint. I'd like to extend my welcome to the strangers I see in the crowd. I hope your visit to our wonderful town is proving to be a memorable experience. Thank you for joining in on our festivities. To the familiar faces I see today, I extend a heartfelt thanks. Thank you for everything that each of you has done to keep this town strong in recent years."

She points to a man in the crowd. "Even old Larz Rovanky has torn himself away from the tannery to join us today. Imagine that!" The crowd shares a heartfelt laugh. Kendra goes on. "Eat, drink, play! Enjoy all that our town has to offer. We have a few more speakers, and then we'll leave you be. Sheriff Hemlock, if you please." Kendra exits the platform as a tall Shoanti man in plan chain mail armor takes takes the stage.


Party Inventory

Alright, the Paizo peeps got the main thread back up! This post is just a buffer between the bugged out posts and where we're picking up from the alternate thread. Sorry for the late post today! Lost track of time.


Party Inventory

This post is a continuation of the gameplay started in this thread.

[color=blue]Garrick,[/color] you follow signs for the strength contest to the shipyard. A tall human man stands below a banner that reads "Man-o-War Tug-o-War" in red. The man is handsome in a chiseled sort of way, with short black hair and a clean-shaven face. He is joined by four swarthy workmen. "Any land-lovers think they're stronger than the shipwrights?" he shouts to the crowd.

The rules seem simple enough. Fifty feet of rope. First team to pull the others' feet across the middle line wins. A few townsfolk prepare to face off against the workmen, but they could use a strong hand.

[color=blue]Falkin,[/color] you are initially at a loss when searching for items on the list. However, after asking for help, a human fellow priest of Desna obliges. He's a middle-aged Chellish man, and somewhat plain-looking with chestnut hair and a small goatee. "There's no bank like the one in Magnimar, but you can get a slip from the vault at the town hall. As for driftwood and a cockle shell, you'd best head down to the beach."

[color=blue]Denalian,[/color] your arrow flies above the target and into the sea. The bald man bellows a hearty laugh at your expense. "My mother could shoot a bow better, and she's almost as old as yous!" You've got another shot, if you care to take it.

[color=blue]Zella,[/color] the young man gives you another wide grin and says, "Careful with blessings, my friend. The hand that feeds you also holds the knife when you are fattened. But, thank you anyway." With that, he nods at you and starts to move out of the crowd.

You see a feast fit for royalty on display in the square. Fine ales and mead from the local Two-Knight Brewery are on tap, and every tavern in town is out with their specialties. No one will be going hungry today.

[color=blue]Vidar,[/color] Ameiko smiles at your acceptance. "I knew you'd be interested! Come, then. Sit over here and taste all we've prepared."

The Food:

Ameiko Kaijitsu of The Rusty Dragon presents you a smoked salmon steak seasoned with curry, lemon, garlic, and a salty, savory seasoning you cannot name. This is paired with a fragrant mead with hints of lemon and apple.

Garridan Viskalai of The White Deer presents a spit-cooked peppercorn steak topped with mushrooms, wild herbs, and a brandy sauce. It is paired with a red wine of good vintage. You suspect the glass of wine to be twice the value of the meat.

Jargie Quinn of The Hagfish presents a simple, but tasty lobster chowder with potatoes, onions, and carrots. He pairs it with a decent pale ale that compliments the buttery dish quite well.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick says, "Aye, I'm game. Spent a few years swinging a forge hammer, so I've built up a strong back and shoulders.... Besides, it's all in good fun."

He heads over to the rope and takes up an anchoring position, digging his feet into the ground. Let's see if the low centre of gravity helps... or if I'll need to draw on the strength of my blood...

He says, "Ok, you lot, just make sure we're working together. We need to heave in unison to make the most of all our strength... Would help if we do it on a count and call it out."


Male Elf Bard (Archaeologist) 1 (HP: 9/9) (AC:16 FF:13 T:13) (Fort: +0 Ref: +5 Will: +2) (Init: +3) (Perc: +6) (Luck: 6/7)

He must be underestimating my age, Denialan thinks. Humans, even female humans, never live that much.

Denialan is happy to accept a second chance at slaying the Sandpoint Devil. This time, he aims lower, and calls upon an inner reserve of luck bestowed upon him in birth by Desna's Pale Star.

Shortbow + Archaeologist's Luck: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Now this was truly something that Vidar could enjoy. A table before him, and food being brought to him.
He wished he could break out a book and read as he enjoyed the meal, but that would most likely be seen as rude, and hardly give of a good impression as a judge.

Instead the did is very best to sample and savour the dishes and truly consider their strengths and flaws.

Turning to Ameiko, he raised a questioning eyebrow.
"To clarify, my role is to objectively state which dish I consider the most tasty? There are no greater insights required of me?"


Female Human (Varisian) Harrow Sorceress / 1

Eyeing all the table holding the food, Zella heads to the one with all the steak first. A much heartier meal in her mind (and stomach) than the light fair fished out of the sea.

"This all looks so tasty, it's hard to decide where to even begin." She smiles as she takes a plate of food and looks about for a place to sit and eat it.

I wonder if I'll have enough room to try all the dishes?


Being quite familiar with the Hagfish's practices Ronah heads for Ameiko's salmon. She generally preferred seafood, one of the few parts of her heritage she truly did not mind.

With a plate laden with salmon in hand she joined the other woman who was standing there, looking for a place to sit. "It's crowded isn't it? Hmm, the steak does look good. Maybe I need to make a second trip after all."


Party Inventory

[color=blue]Garrick,[/color] the townspeople follow your lead as you set up for the match. A muscular, blond-haired human woman on your team says to you, "A fellow smith, yeah? I spent a year learning the forge in Janderhoff. Let's show these carpenters the strength of the hammer." The game begins, and the shipwrights start to pull. This may be a challenge worthy of your strength.

If you can make an Athletics check for me with a +2 circumstance bonus for leading the townsfolk.

[color=blue]Denalian,[/color] your shot does hit the target this time, but barely. Your arrow lands in the outermost ring. The bald man gives a more reserved chuckle this time and tosses a copper pin to you. "There's your prize, stranger. Might wanna get some practice shots in after the festival. Wouldn't want to be unprepared when the devil sneaks up on ya." The pin is a simple thing, shaped like a bow and arrow, but the craftwork is respectable.

[color=blue]Vidar,[/color] Ameiko responds to your query. "That's right! Though if you have some constructive criticism, we'll of course be happy to hear it."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Nodding a little, Vidar went back to the meals.
Taste only, so no need to over think this. I could of course try to think of anything constructive to say, if I CAN find something to comment on.

Taking his time, Vidar made sure to savour every bite of the food. It was not often he got a chance to enjoy food of this quality unless he cooked it himself.
Having been on the road for a long time now, he had been deprived of things much tastier than travelling rations for what felt like months.

Profession Chef: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Male Halfling Cleric 1 (Desna) HP: 8/8 | AC: 17 | T: 14 | FF: 14 | CMD: 11 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +4| Will: +6;+2 vs. fear | Init: +3 | Perception: +5 | Sense Motive: +3

I appreciate the help, brother. Follow the butterflies.
Falkin bows deeply and sets off in the direction of the beach first then will loop back toward town hall.

Along the way he'll continue singing off-key and offering guidance to random people as he goes.
While at the beach he'll see if he can find some other interesting shells, small pieces of driftwood, shells or other things that might catch his eye.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


Male Elf Bard (Archaeologist) 1 (HP: 9/9) (AC:16 FF:13 T:13) (Fort: +0 Ref: +5 Will: +2) (Init: +3) (Perc: +6) (Luck: 6/7)

Denialan happily inspects the pin and pins it to the sleeve of his long Kyoni robes. As he returns the bow to the man operating the game, the elf's eyebrows rise, intrigued.

"So this Devil of Sandpoint; is it real? Has it been seen? Please, do tell me the story of it."


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick says, "Aye, a barely passable one, but a smith. Spent more of my efforts learning to use weapons than make 'em, even if I do sometimes miss the heat and rythm of the forge. But let's show these sailors what a couple of forge-trained folk can do.."

With that, Garrick readies himself for the start signal.. then starts calling out, "...two...three...pull!"[/b]

Strength: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 3 + 2 = 17 You asked for Athletics, which was str-based -- but isn't a skill anymore.


Party Inventory

[color=blue]Vidar,[/color] your training in the culinary arts gives you a fine appreciation for the food presented to you. The lobster chowder is fair enough for tavern food, but it's nothing remarkable. Just a simple affair with way too much butter. Still, an acceptable comfort food. The steak is well-seasoned and has a very primal feel to the whole plating, but it pairs poorly with the wine. It's a good vintage, and expensive, but it is obvious that Garridan is just trying to make his guests feel fancy without knowing much about wine pairing. Still, he knows how to cook venison. Ameiko's dish is a perfect blend on Eastern and Western spices and cooking methods. The flavor profile is complex without being complicated, and the salmon is cooked to perfect flaky perfection. The winterdrop ale offers a fragrant, cooling relief to the spice of the dish.

[color=blue]Falkin,[/color] you find ample scrap on the beach for your hunt, and find a polished azurite stone in the sand. A simple thing, but probably worth a few coins to the right buyer.

[color=blue]Denalian,[/color] the man gets a very serious look on his face and looks you straight in the eye. "My friend, the beast is very real. A maw filled with dagger-long teeth as sharp as a goblin's, huge leathery wings, and the hooves of a mountain beast. I've seen it twice in the woods, and I thank the stars to be standin' here before yous. A devil child of Lamashtu, for sure." He spits at the name of the demoness lord.

[color=blue]Garrick[/color] The woman nods and says to you, "If it's arms and armor you need, come to my smithy sometime after we trounce these boys. Mayhaps you'll get the itch to temper steel, and if that's the case, I've got plenty of work for ya. The name's Savah Bevaniky, by the way."

Your team is a bit late on the pull, but your strength holds fast until they catch on. Once everyone's onboard, you drag the shipwrights over the line and win the match. The crowd behind you is in an uproar and begins laughing and cheering as your team wins the prize. You receive a model ship of fine craftwork.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick says, "Name's Garrick, and I appreciate the offer. Not quite sure how long I'll be staying in town, but nice to know that I won't have to resort to begging to feed myself if my coin runs low."

After the victory, Garrick calls to the team, "Well played. I'll buy you each a tankard of ale or stout for that tonight... though I'll need to figure out which tavern first."

He turns to Savah, "Any recommendations? You said you spent time in Janderhoff, so I'm thinking you'd know a good brew when you taste it."


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Vidar slowly tapped his finger against the table as he ate, idly wondering how to phrase his comments.
He didn't normally care too much about possibly upsetting people, but at the same time, only a fool upsets the people cooking their meals.

Eventually he decided to be honest, but TRY to be polite. If they couldn't handle that, it was their own fault for asking a stranger to judge.

"The dishes are all fine fare, so the devil is in the details really."

"The chowder makes excellent comfort food, it's rich and creamy, and goes very well with the drink.
I would imagine selling this dish, especially on a cold night would be no problem at all.
However, outside the area of comfort food, it is a bit TOO rich, if you intend to refine it at any point, consider cutting the fat by about a quarter, and cut the stock with a few spoonfuls of white wine vinegar."

"The steak is perfectly roasted, with a nice texture on the inside, but without having lost all it's juices, thus remaining moist on the inside.
The sides are well prepared and complements it well.
Unfortunately, the wine is not quite as suitable. This vintage has a hint of cinnamon and mint, which doesn't pair well with the much more robust seasoning of the meat."

"The salmon is a fine mix of various spices, remains nicely flaky without losing it's integrity and becoming crumbly.
The first few bites were a little heavy on the curry, but it is virtually impossible to get a perfectly even spread of spices on a surface.
It also pairs very well with the assigned drink."

"Though it was a narrow victory, I would have to give it to the salmon."

Vidar makes sure to try and use a polite tone of voice, and look each of the chefs in the eye as he speaks, hoping to avoid causing offence as much as possible.


Female Human (Varisian) Harrow Sorceress / 1

Zella replies to the woman speaking to her. "Yes, it is rather crowded. Though no wonder it is with all of this good food up for grabs. I fear after all this I may go into a coma for the remainder of the festival."

Zella eventually settles onto a clear patch of grass and quite happily downs her steak and wine, after which she will go back for portions of the other two meals. Though not really her preferred choices, she doesn't wish to offend by not trying everything available.

"All of this food was absolutely wonderful, but I will have to say that I personally preferred the steak the most. After spending to so much of my life crossing across inland Varrissia, I fear I just don't have much a taste for seafood and am more accustomed to landfood. And if that isn't an actual word, I certainly think that it should be."


Party Inventory

It didn't even register in my mind that Athletics isn't a Pathfinder thing. Oops!

[color=blue]Garrick,[/color] Savah says to you, "Well, you can't go wrong as long as you steer clear of the Feedbag. My money'd be spent at The Rusty Dragon. Great food, great company, and plenty to drink."

[color=blue]Vidar,[/color] the tavern owners thank you for your insight. Ameiko seems especially proud of her dish. "Tell you what, stranger," she says. "Come have another meal on the house tonight, after the festival. Thanks for humoring a few humble cooks."

[color=blue]Zella,[/color] the owners thank you as well for your critique. Garridan says to you, "Thank you. I too prefer the beasts of the earth, or 'landfood' as you say. Be welcome in our city, my cousin."

Gonna wait til the next post to see if anyone has more they wanna do vis-à-vis food and festivities. If not, gonna drop another text block.


Male Halfling Cleric 1 (Desna) HP: 8/8 | AC: 17 | T: 14 | FF: 14 | CMD: 11 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +4| Will: +6;+2 vs. fear | Init: +3 | Perception: +5 | Sense Motive: +3

Falkin will continue collecting items from the list and passing out random blessings.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick smiles, "Rusted Dragon it is! You heard the lady, folks. Tankard on me at the Dragon just after sunset! See you all there -- though you'd think the sailors owe us all a round or two!"

Garrick starts walking back toward town, keeping pace with Savah, "If you don't mind me asking, who did you work with in Janderhoff? Were you learning armoury, weapons or general smithcraft? I was taught to make blades and axes by 'Aunt' Kotri, though I think she's more a sixth or seventh cousin. "


Party Inventory

Savah replies, "I learned the craft from Elfris Berzan, mostly armor. I know my way around making a blade, though. I've seen old Kotri's work in my time there. A fine smith, indeed. I'd like to go back someday, when I've mastered the craft, and use the holy forge of Torag. A gal can dream, eh?"

As lunch drags on, several townsfolk take the stage to speak. The first is Sheriff Belor, a stern-looking Shoanti man in chain mail armor. He speaks with a deep, monotone voice. "I understand there is plan for a bonfire this evening. Please remember to follow the fire ordinance laws and remain safe during the remainder of the festival. Our next speaker was supposed to be Lonjiku Kaijitsu, but he's not here. He sends his regrets, but he is feeling ill." His speech stops as abruptly as it starts.

A man with short-blond hair wearing flamboyant clothing takes the stage as Sheriff Belor returns to his table. He moves and gestures dramatically as he speaks. "Thank you, Sheriff, for that touching speech. You really bared your soul for us all to see." The crowd shares an awkward laugh. "Speaking of souls, how about this new cathedral? I'll tell you this folks, we scraped every coin together that we could find to get this thing built. Father Zantus must have some serious sway with the folks upstairs, for us to build such a grand house for him! After he's done with his performance, you should stop by the Theater for a wonderful production by yours truly. The role of the Harpy Queen will be played by none other than the famous and beautiful Allishanda!" He throws his arms up at the end of his speech, as if expecting a roaring applause. After a moment, he realizes the crowd is more interested in their meals, and he quickly gets off the stage.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Vidar frowned a little as he considered the situation.
His mentor had more or less tried to beat some manners into him during his period of learning, but it had not completely penetrated his innate grumpy nature.
It would have been polite to introduce himself to Ameiko, but she had refereed to him as "stranger" and not attempted to ask him for his name, and thus he did not feel compelled to give it at the moment.

The promise of a further meal however was enough to soften his features just a little.
At least I will not need to worry about going hungry tonight.

However, it was not the evening yet, and he had plenty of food left to consume right now.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick smiles, "Well, if I ever go back to set up shop, I know where to send an invitation."


Female Human (Varisian) Harrow Sorceress / 1

Not being familiar with the local theater, Zella asks a question out loud for any that care to answer: "Harpy Queen? I wonder what play is being preformed later, it doesn't sound like one I've gotten to watch before."

Not like there are too many theaters out on the open road after all....


Male Halfling Cleric 1 (Desna) HP: 8/8 | AC: 17 | T: 14 | FF: 14 | CMD: 11 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +4| Will: +6;+2 vs. fear | Init: +3 | Perception: +5 | Sense Motive: +3

Falkin makes his way around the food vendors and piles his plate high. This is a celebration after all and it would be rude not to partake of the offerings so carefully prepared by the people of Sandpoint. He makes his way to an open seat and introduces himself to the folks nearby.

Good day and happy feasting. I'm Falkin Meddlefoot, pleasure to meet you. Oh, don't let me interrupt you mid chew there will be plenty of time to connect once we've filled our bellies with this fine fare.

When Sheriff Baylor announces the planned bonfire, Falkin lets out a pleased Mmm! nodding to those around the table and smiling as wide as his full mouth will allow. He has always enjoyed fireside festivities.

At the mention of the new cathedral, Falkin claps his hands to show support and laughs a bit as the man flamboyantly finishes his announcement.


Ronah nods as the man decides Ameiko's meal is the best. Ameiko probably was the best cook in Sandpoint so it was no surprise.

The talk about the cathedral got her attention. It was something auntie had mentioned but Ronah never fully realised what it meant. A proper cathedral. Maybe they could offer her some help with her problem.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Having performed his "duty" as a judge as well as sated the worst of his hunger, Vidar helped himself to another large plate and found a comfortable place to sit.
His attention was now only half on the food, allowing the enjoyment to fade a little as he began to focus on slowly and meticulously began to document what was going on around him in his journal.

He didn't truly expect the information to make it into any published pathfinder material, but documenting a one time local event in the form of the opening of a cathedral might still be of some use to someone.


Female Human (Kellid) Oracle (Spirit Guide) 1 | Init +2 | Perc +0 | AC 18 T 12 FF 16 CMD 10 | HP 6/10 | F +1 R +2 W +2 | 1st level spells:1/5 | bolts:4 | Conditions: None

Irisa is walking around Sandpoint in wide-eyed wonder. They didn't have anyone like that back in her tribe, the festival sure is marvelous. She is walking around in sturdy scale armor. Her travels have taught her to be better safe than sorry, but it is clear that the heavy armor is causing her discomfort. At least she is only wearing simple clothing underneath the armor due to the warm weather, instead of the thick clothing she usually wore back home. Her face is free and her long blonde hear is streaming down to mid back, making her stand out in the crowd. The events of the day make it easy to push her discomfort aside though and just focusing on what is in front of her. She tries to experience as much as possible, playing the games, buying a few trinkets before finally coming over to sample the food.

Her eyes light up as she sees the dishes. "My, these look wonderful. I'm famished from all the traveling and festivities today. It'll be nice with something to eat."

As she makes her way over to the dishes, she overhears Zelladania's comment. "I have no idea what a Harpy is, but the play sounds interesting. Watching true artists preform is such a delight. I hope I get to see it."

Keeping true to her goal of experiencing as much as possible, she loads up her dish with a bit of everything. Then she makes her way over to the table and sit down between Vidar and Ronah. "Mind if I take this spot?" Her blue eyes sparkle with mirth as she smiles widely. "I'm Irisa. It's so nice to meet new people. So many people to meet here and so many things to see here, right?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

In keeping with his attempts at trying to be as "pleasant" as he can, Vidar's face forces itself into an "open" expression, or at least less closed.
He then turns to Irisa and nods a little.
"It is certainly...lively, I will give it that."

Momentarily turning back to the food, he then sighs inwardly, realizing that he might need to make more of an effort and turns back.
"Personally, I find the food the most interesting thing here at the moment."


Female Human (Kellid) Oracle (Spirit Guide) 1 | Init +2 | Perc +0 | AC 18 T 12 FF 16 CMD 10 | HP 6/10 | F +1 R +2 W +2 | 1st level spells:1/5 | bolts:4 | Conditions: None

Irisa smiles and nods empathetically. "Right? Nothing is anywhere near as interesting as food when you're hungry!" The young woman gets a thoughtful look as she carefully chews a bite of the salmon. " What is the taste of this salmon? I've never ever tasted anything like this before. It's like an explosion of taste in my mouth. So wonderful and interesting. I've never had anything like this before."

She continues eating and tasting the food, but can't keep her curiosity in check for long. "But the food is not the only thing interesting here. There are so many people! All with their own stories, plans, hopes and dreams! I wish I could get to know each and every one. Everyone got something to tell. Perhaps you could share something? I would love to hear about you, mister ...?

What is Vidar wearing?


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Again Vidar sighs inwardly, apparently he had unwittingly hooked himself a live on with this woman.
Slowly adjusting his seat to get more comfortable, he again turned to look at Irisa.

"What you are tasting is curry, it is not a spice common this far up north, so it is no surprise you do not recognize it."

Spearing another morsel of food, Vidar brings it to his mouth and savour it for a moment, relishing the momentary peace.

"My name is Vidar Ekstrand, Ulfen descent, late of Riddleport. Junior pathfinder and wizard."

Vidar favours a heavy dark green overcoat, probably fairly dusty by now from the road, and he sports a wide brimmed hat of similar colouration.


Overhearing Della and Irisa talking about the play a young red haired human woman across the table politely interjects I believe Cyrdak's new play is called "The Harpy's Curse." You really should make time to attend an event at the theater, Cyrdak's productions are absolutely stunning. You MUST go, you will love it.

You catch a few people craning their neck in the direction of the stage where Sherif Baylor and Cyrdak were previously giving their opening speaches to the gathered crowd. You peek over and see a group of young acolytes from the new cathedral pulling a large covered wagon as an older human man guides them to park the wagon near the stage.

The older man takes the stage, clears his throat and begins talking and the crowd quiets down to hear him speak.

Friends, thank you all for joining us today. My name is Father Abstalar
Zantus and it fills me with great joy to see so many new faces of those who have traveled to Sandpoint to feast with us and take part in this celebration. Today, as some of you know, is the annual Swallowtail celebration.
He pauses and looks around the crowd, nodding to those who are wearing Desnan butterfly charms. Today is the day we recount the tale of the blind orphan who performed a great service to the Goddess of Dreams and how our beloved Desna repaid that service.
He pauses again and as if thinking of the story he's about to tell.
During an intense battle with the Nightmare Mother of Beasts, Lamashtu, Desna was badly wounded. Her body, in the form of a great butterfly, fell from the heavens to Golarion where it was discovered by a blind orphan. This orphan, a gentle young girl, carefully lifted what she thought was just a butterfly. Perhaps she felt a spark of life still present inside and because she had a kind heart she took this butterfly and cared for it. She lovingly nursed this glorius butterfly back to health until one day it was strong enough to fly away. I like to imagine the smile on this orphan's face as she felt the butterfly lift off of her finger and take to the breeze. He holds up one finger as if a butterfly were perched on it and looks skyward like he's watching a butterfly flit away.
And the surprise when she felt the butterfly land on her once more and whisper to her the truth of who the little girl had helped. To repay this girl, Desna transformed her into a beautiful swallowtail butterfly and granted her immortality to explore the world and the heavens with Desna as her guide. And so, my friends, today we celebrate the Swallowtail festival and release the children of Desna.
With that, he motions to his alcolytes who quickly draw back the cover of the wagon which erupts in a flurry of Swallowtail butterflies taking wing. Be kind and may the butterflies guide you! he shouts as the crowd cheers.

You see many young children running past you to chase butterflies around the town square and a band starts playing a cheerful tune.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick cranes his neck trying to look through the crowd, then realizes the ridiculousness of his attempt with a wry smile, Aye, in a large crowd of humans, a dwarf's quite likely to find a someone... I'm too tall to see between their legs, and too short to see over their heads... and the fact that I'm looking for a gnome that's probably barely more than waist-high to the lot of them isn't likely to help, even if I could get a better vantage point... He turns back toward his new friend, the smith, about to open his mouth to ask her about the festival, then closes it when the priest begins to speak.

He listens to the story, smiling as it's told, Either that man tells a tale with the skill of a skald, or there's something contagious about this swallowtail festival... Still, it feels good to have a day to just enjoy and not worry about the trail and the dangers out there... And, to be honest, nice to know that I can probably talk my way into swinging a hammer if things go poorly and I've need of the coin.... On its surface, I'd almost call the tale ridiculous, but I certainly know better than to question stories of little children with unseen friends.

He's surprised to find himself laughing as the butterflies are released, raising his tankard in cheer, before returning his attention to the smith, chuckling, "I was about to ask what this festival was all about, but I'm thinking that priest is some sort of psychic."


Female Human (Kellid) Oracle (Spirit Guide) 1 | Init +2 | Perc +0 | AC 18 T 12 FF 16 CMD 10 | HP 6/10 | F +1 R +2 W +2 | 1st level spells:1/5 | bolts:4 | Conditions: None

"I'll do my best to make sure I don't miss it. Thanks for the recommendation." Irisa says with a beaming smile towards the readhead.

sense motive Vidar to figure out how he feels about the discussion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

This festival and all that is happening here is so wonderful, but I wonder if others feel the same sense of wonder I do? She thinks to herself as she studies Vidar. It's hard for her to figure it out, but she gets the sense that he might just be slightly uninterested in the conversation with her. She doesn't want to bother people unecessarily so she figures out it's better to leave him alone. "A wizard and a pathfinder? That sounds awesome. But I won't trouble you with further questions, instead you can enjoy your food in peace. Thank you and Deana's blessing to you Vidar." She says as she casts guidance on the Wizard.

Next thing she knows, the speech starts and she follows the priest's words with rapt attention. Afterwards she comments to no one in particular. "What a wonderful tale! The wonders of the goddess truly are marvelous! I wish I could get to see the entire world, like the butterfly from the tale. "

She gets up from the tale to chase after the butterflies. "May Desna bless us all on this wonderful day." Despite her armour weighing her down, she tries to chase after the butterflies with the kids to study them more closely.


Female Human (Varisian) Harrow Sorceress / 1

Zella gives Father Zantus her full attention as he begins to speak. As a devout follower of Desna, she's heard the tale of Desna and the blind girl many times before, but it was one she never tired of hearing. Though this was the first time that she'd seen such a release of butterflies at the end. She smiles, watching all the children and the occasional adult chasing after the fluttering symbols of Desna.

As the band strikes up a lively tune, Zella looks about for companion to dance with....


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Having finished his meal, Vidar slowly leans back in the chair, patting his belly and savouring the feeling of being fully sated.
It had been a long road and the chance indulge in some fine food was a welcome distraction from his normal brooding.

so content was he in fact that he did not even mind the level of noise produced by the happy people around him.
And better yet, I am promised a meal this evening as well...


Ronah sighed as the good father told the tail of Desna once more. For whatever reason people loved the story but to her it had always seemed cruel. Who, in her right mind, would want to be stuck for eternity as a butterfly? It probably was one of the dullest lives you could imagine.

It were stories like this that made her doubt her faith.


Male Elf Bard (Archaeologist) 1 (HP: 9/9) (AC:16 FF:13 T:13) (Fort: +0 Ref: +5 Will: +2) (Init: +3) (Perc: +6) (Luck: 6/7)

Denialan listens with enthusiasm to Father Zantus' legend of Desna and the blind orphan, surprised and delighted to hear a story he's already hard many times in his homeland of Kyonin. He joins the children flocking to the butterflies for a few seconds before realizing that the activity is probably for the young ones only, so he goes to seek Abstalar Zantus.

"My greetings to you, Father Abstalar Zantus. Denialan Salarei is my name, and come I from the far land of Kyonin. Under the lucky star of Desna I was born, and many legends about her have I heard. Tell me, father of the cathedral, what other stories do Desnans of Varisia tell?"


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick throws his head back and laughs as he sees the Kellid girl rush after the butterflies herself. He stands on his chair and raises his tankard in cheer, "Aye, that's the spirit!"

To be honest, I'm more than a little jealous of having a free enough spirit to so something like that... Then again, it's not really very dwarven... I mean, there's a reason nobody tells tales of Torag, Angradd or Folgrit getting stuck in the form of a butterfly, or kitten or other adorable harmless animal... Of course, most Dwarven gods are a might bit more... militarily... minded than Desna..

He nods to the smith, "Thanks for the advice and company.. I'll be sure to visit your shop... if only to scare your apprentices, as you said... but, I was hoping I might find a friend who is supposed to be here with an acting troupe, and I clearly won't see her from here."

With that, Garrick jumps down and starts to mingle in with the taller folk now gathering to watch the children -- and the Kellid girl -- and was that an elf, for a moment, at least? -- play.

As people press in on him, he calls out as gently as he can, "Careful folks, still carrying gear from the road.. I've a full pack and a few pointy things that nobody should be backing in to by accident."


-- Zella --
You move toward the dance area as the growing crowd falls into a familiar dance where participants whirl about changing partners at regular intervals. Everyone is smiling and laughing, some from the joy of the dance, some from the joy of the drink. After some time, the music stops and a few of the players change instruments. The crowd claps and as the applause begins to die down the band leader steps to the front of the stage and says "How about those Swallowtails, yeah?" He claps his hands and continues speaking. "They seem to be in good spirits so we're going to switch things up a bit here with something a little more modern. You'll want to pair up for this next set and we'll ease you into it and see if you can keep up as we play on." With a wink he starts to turn and shouts "Miron get us started!" The drummer kicks off with a jazzy/swing beat (Think Benny Goodman Orchestra Sing Sing Sing).
A handsome Varisian nobleman approaches you, Zella, bows deeply and says "I would be honored if you would allow me the favor of this dance." He's quite charming and you see his foot begins tapping along to the beat.

-- Ronah --
Unimpressed with the display of the Swallowtail release you return to your lunch and your own thoughts. You feel a light tickle on the top front of your hair and the man across the table looks up, wide-eyed and points his finger. He nearly chokes on the bun he just stuffed in his mouth as he says "Luck to you!" sending some crumbs flying out onto the table in front of him. You look up and can see the edge of Swallowtail wings lightly pulsing before it pushes off and takes flight again.
An old woman rubs your shoulder and says Wonderful blessing, dear. The goddess smiles on you.

-- Garrick --
Savah says "Be sure you do visit, I think it would liven things up around the shop. You know, it would probably give the smiths a good reason to show off a bit, getting a compliment from a dwarf can carry some weight. Yeah, let's do that. Good luck finding your friend and I'll see you around."
As you hop down you see one of the ladies at your table has a large Swallowtail on her forehead and a few of the surrounding guests are pointing and calling attention to her good luck.

-- Vidar --
Some of the guests around your table depart for dancing and chasing Swallowtails. A large human Shoanti man sees you rub your belly and gives you a thumbs up as he continues to shovel the food into his mouth like he hasn't eaten in weeks.

-- Denialan --
When you ask Abstelar about the Varisian stories of Desna you see excitement in his eyes. Oh yes, gosh, what a wonderful inquiry! Yes, wow! This region is rich with stories and practices in Desna's name. The nomadic Varisians embody the spirit of Desna who oversees the domains of travel, luck, dreams and stars. I've had many visitors to Sandpoint tell me of how the Goddess guided them past some obstacle or presented them with various blessings or favors. Sometimes mundane or sometimes as spectacular as a starry winged butterfly fending off beasts in the night. Desna seems to present herself in many ways to the good people of Varisia ... Before he continues on he is interrupted by an acolyte.
Sorry, sir the young woman says to you. Father Zantus, we just had a couple of questions about the consecration this evening, can we review once or twice before we begin?
With that, Abstelar turns to you and says: Ah, forgive me good sir. Can we continue our conversation again soon? I can go on for days but we do have a few remaining tasks to prepare for this evening. Come visit me at the chapel tomorrow and I will make time to share stories with you.

-- Irisa --
You join the fun dodging children and chasing swallowtails who almost seem to be enjoying the game as much as the children. You see a young boy reaching for a swallowtail perched on the edge of a table and as his fingers are nearly in reach it flies away. In an attempt to catch it he lurches forward hitting his head against the table and falling to the ground. He turns to you with teary eyes and a trembling lower lip. Out of instinct you reach out to help him stand up and as you extend your hand a swallowtail lands on your wrist. A giant smile appears on his face as he giggles and points at you.

This sort of merriment continues for several hours. Eating, dancing, singing, chasing swallowtails, playing carnival style games, etc. are in full swing until the sun begins to get lower in the evening sky and Father Zantus prepares for the consecration of the chapel. Feel free to show us what you're doing in a montage style update.


Male Human (Ulfen) Wizard (Enhancer) 2

Vidar considered the Shoanti for a few moments, idly wondering if he was a fellow gourmand or merely a large fellow with a big appetite and a not so discerning palate?
Even if it was the later, Vidar couldn't really fault him for that, after all as familliar as he himself was with various spices, the very best one certainly was hunger.

With a full belly making him feel unusually mellow, he even deigns to engage in some small talk with people around him.
He ALMOST feels bad for being as dismissive as he was with the chatty woman from before.
If she had waited until he was done eating than perhaps...
Ah well, no use in crying over spilled milk.

In the long run, Vidar simply contended himself with observing and jotting down notes about the festival in his notebook, waiting for the evening when he could claim another free meal.


Ronah is about to react slightly annoyed at the man wishing her luck while spraying crumbs when she feels the hand on her shoulder and hears a familiar voice. "Hello auntie. I hope you are right. I could use some of her luck right now." She sighs, though with a smile on her face.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

Garrick notes the butterfly and the man's strange reaction, then blinks, suddenly uncomfortable before saying sheepishly. "Aye, er, Desna's luck be with you."


Female Human (Varisian) Harrow Sorceress / 1

Zella smiles at the at the man asking her to dance, her own foot beginning to tap along to the beat of the song.

With a little curtsy of her own, she replies: "It would be my pleasure to enjoy this dance with you."

Hmm, polite and nice looking. As long as he doesn't step on my feet, he could be a good dance partner for the festival...


-Zella You find him to be an excellent dancer as he leads you around the dance grounds. The band plays a long session of partnered dance numbers before taking another break. During the break he introduces himself as Aldern Foxglove and he insists that you meet again for dinner (whether you agree or disagree is up to you). He disappears in the crowd when the band kicks up again.

The music, food and drinks continue until the sun begins to set. You see Father Zantus take the stage, assemble some papers on the podium in front of him, straighten his robes and take a drink of water. He then reaches in one of his pouches, pulls out a stone and throws it to the ground.

A sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun’s setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium. Father Zantus clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman’s scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises—high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

Goblins chew and goblins bite.
Goblins cut and goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!
Goblins race and goblins jump
Goblins slash and goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!
Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We be goblins! You be food!

Irisia - Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Ronah - Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Zella - Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Denialan - Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Vidar - Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Garrick - Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Goblins - Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Feel free to state your action and I'll try to resolve in initiative order.

Map: Encounter map

I placed you where I thought you might be during the start of the action. There are townsfolk around but as the action unfolds they're starting to run. If a goblin is threatening a commoner I'll add a pawn but didn't want to add a bunch of clutter on the map.


Male Elf Bard (Archaeologist) 1 (HP: 9/9) (AC:16 FF:13 T:13) (Fort: +0 Ref: +5 Will: +2) (Init: +3) (Perc: +6) (Luck: 6/7)

I don't seem to have permission to view the Encounter Map.


Skills:
(Acro -3/-5; Climb +4[+6]; Diplo: +1; Intim +6; Kn(Arcana) +4; SenMot +1; Surv: +6; Swim: +0[+2])
Male Dwarf Bloodrager (Primalist) 2
Vitals:
(HP: 23[29]/23[29] AC: 18[16]/11[9]/17[15] - Uncanny Dodge; Percep: +6; Init: +1; Fort +5[+8], Ref: +2, Will: +1[+3]; CMD: 16[18] (+4 v. trip/bullrush); CMB +5[+7]; Speed: 30)

In the same boat.

1 to 50 of 766 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Georgette's RotR Game All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.