PFS 1 Adventures

Game Master R D

Current Map

Initiative:
[dice=Berosius Init]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Glen Init]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Harrow Init]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Kelson Init]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Mareq+Husarq Init]1d20+2[/dice]


1 to 50 of 1,910 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Berosius, Dimble, Harrow, Mareq, and Qwerty: Please dot here! :-)


M Efreeti Lord of All He Surveys 10 (HP 76/76; AC 33 / T 11 / FF 31 ; F +11, R +6, W +8; Init +2, Perception +11, Darkvision 60') [dice=Power Attack]1d20+19[/dice] [dice=Slashing dmg]3d6+26[/dice] [dice=Fire dmg]1d6[/dice]

"I am dotting for my master, Mareq the Magnificent, the Unhumbled, the Powerful, Righteous, and Breaker of Chains.

Sovereign Court

Male
Skills:
Acrobatics:+15;Local:+5;Disable Device:+18;Intimidate:+11;Stealth:+12;Bluff:+14
Human (Ulfen) Aldori Swashbuckler CL8 (HP:76/76)(AC:26 FF:20 T:17)(F:+6/ R:+12/ W:+4)(Init:+8)(Perception:+10)

"This better be worth it. I had a paying gig lined up and was ordered to come to this briefing instead. Where are we going?" a rough looking sellsword says walking into the room. He stops over by the bar, opens and sniffs all the bottles before settling on one that pleases him. He pours the drink into a cup and sits down looking over the others.

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Oracle of Life (Spirit Guide) 10 - HP 77/77, AC 21/T: 14/FF:18 - Perception +2 - F: +7*/ R: +8* / W: +10* - CMB: +5 - CMD: 18, Speed: 30, Init. +3

"I remember you, Fenrik!" chirps Berosius. "Don't worry! It will be someplace awful that we will make less awful! What could be better payment than that?"

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Summoner 10 (HP63/63; AC 20 / T 12 / FF 18; DR5 (fire); F +4, R +5, W +7; Init +2, Perception +0, Diplomacy +18, Kn(a, pl) +13, Darkvision 60')

Mareq, resplendent in new robes, sweeps into the room. When he sees the Ulfen man sitting with a drink in his hand, a man he's never met before, he looks quickly to Husarq with a reprimand in his eyes.

"Ahem, allow me to present my Master," Husarq quickly says before Mareq can explode at him. "Mareq ibn al-Shamir, Ambassador Percipient to Golarion; the Rejected, the Scorned, the Avenger, the greatest scion of Bayt al-Shamir of the City of Brass!"

Mareq grimaces at the terrible delivery of his honorifics, his raised hand poised to strike his insufferably pathetic thrall. But something, perhaps the presence of a new face, stays his hand.

"Sir, whatever you drink, allow me to buy you another. Tell me your name and tale, that it may live forever in the annals of the City of Brass," offers Mareq to the Ulfen man.

Silver Crusade

We're just about finished with the other scenario. Probably start this one soon!

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Bard 9 HP 58 | AC 21; Touch 13; FF 19 | F +8; R +9; W +8 | CMB+7; CMD 20 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Perc +12 | Stealth: +6 Bard 9

"Greetings all..I am Kelson a bard from Andoran"

Liberty's Edge

A tiny dragon appears next to Kelson and you hear inside your heads.

"Hello there! I'm Zaxxle!"

Silver Crusade

The party has been summoned to meet Venture-Captain Alvar Hadrias at Birchwood Hall in Restov, a city on Brevoy’s southern border. If you need to make any purchases, you should do so now. Those of you who just finished Refugees of the Weary Sky earned 4,521 GP for that scenario.

Silver Crusade

Assuming purchases are made or will be made soon.

Briefing:

Sturdy wood paneling runs the length of Birchwood Hall’s main corridor. Framed sketches of garment designs hang along the walls beside glass-encased pieces of ne raiment. Thick shelves carry an assortment of headwear and shoes, each carefully labeled with small, engraved plaques specifying their origins and cultural significance.

To the far south, the gallery opens into a circular lounge where a middle-aged Taldan man sits mending the hem of an ornate blue silk robe.

The man is Venture-Captain Alvar Hadrias, and he sets down his work and rises as you approach.

“Pathfinders, thank you for coming. Pardon me; I was just finishing up restoring a new arrival. The Six Springs Empress herself wore this garment. It’s a very exciting addition to the collection. But enough of all that—I’m afraid I must be brief. Time is of the essence.

“Tensions are rising in the local town of Zmeyka regarding the rightful ownership of the region. The main source of contention comes from the noble houses of Orlovsky and Surtova. While I would appreciate if you could gather information on the current political climate and help soothe the strain, your primary task lies elsewhere.

“The unfortunate truth is that Brevoy is likely headed toward civil war, with Zmeyka as its starting point. Such violence is sure to lead to the destruction of many valuable relics, including an ancient local site known as Hartsfall Keep. It is now little more than ruins, but most of its history has gone undocumented. I need you to explore the keep and learn as much about its history as possible for our records before it’s destroyed.

“Avoiding war would be ideal if you can discover a solution to end the current divide between Surtova and Orlovsky, but that may not be an option at this point. If you can present yourselves as neutral arbiters, you may have a chance. Your main focus should be on logging your ndings and retrieving any artifacts for safekeeping. In the meantime, I am bound for the capital to see if I can convince King Noleski Surtova not to send more troops that way.”

Silver Crusade

During the briefing, an attendant comes in and sets down a magical basket. You've seen these before. Its arrival is announced by the smells of fresh, warm apple biscuits, pies, and other culinary delights from Absalom, Kassen's Rest, Tamran, and elsewhere.

Attached is a note: "To keep up your strength. -Sir D."

There's an addendum to the note: "P.S.: Don't worry. We're keeping a close eye on the douche nozzle."

Somehow, the clever halfling managed to fit even more food in the magical basket than ever before.

The attendant begins plating the food and sets it out before you.

Silver Crusade

Questions you might ask of the V-C.

Who are House Surtova and House Orlovsky, and why is there a con ict between them?:
“They are noble houses of Brevoy. A er the reigning royal House of Rogarvia vanished, House Surtova assumed the throne, much to the chagrin of some of the other houses. House Orlovsky and House Surtova both have ancestral claims to Zmeyka, and with House Rogarvia gone, the land’s ownership has fallen into question.”

Should we expect to encounter any danger at the keep?:
“There are tales of it being haunted, but I can’t con rm the veracity of such rumors. It is possible that unsavory creatures now call it home. Orlovsky’s and Surtova’s soldiers may also be nearby and might react aggressively to any intruders. You should certainly be on guard.”

What history is known about Hartsfall Keep?:
“Old survey notes indicate it holds promising points of historical interest signi cant to Brevoy and Taldor, likely related to Taldor’s Fi h Army of Exploration. The notes, however, are incomplete. Most of what we know comes from regional stories told from one generation to the next. These tales are vague and unreliable, but they imply the keep passed many hands throughout its history. I hope you will unlock more concrete details.”

How strict is our timeline?:
“The tension grows every day. I’m unsure how long until war erupts. Try to delay these hostilities to buy time for your exploration. I recommend spending a day at Zmeyka, and then another day at Hartsfall; two at the most. Be warned—even if you manage to assuage the nobles, I wouldn’t dally too long. The dragon has two heads, so any truce between nobles is o en tenuous.”

“The dragon has two heads”?:
“That is a local expression for the tendency of nobles to ght and catch the common folk in the middle of their squabbles. It’s also a reference to the two-headed red dragon on Brevoy’s flag.”

Is there any specific information you want collected, and how do you want it recorded?:
“The more information you discover, the more of the keep’s history we will learn. Examine the structure for signs of renovation. Map the layout. Be on the lookout for any art or relics. I leave the methods of recording to your best judgment, but I would appreciate if you could retrieve any artifacts that can safely be removed without damaging the structural integrity. Be as thorough as you can in the time you have, but if it gets too dangerous, don’t overstay your welcome.”

Who is the Six Springs Empress?:
“She was an empress of Minkai renowned for her diplomatic skill. The ourishes in this garment symbolically re ect her lineage and achievements. I wish I had more time to discuss the details of Minkaian imperial fashion with you, but, alas, that will have to be a conversation for another day.”

After you reach Zmeyka and see what's there, you'll be able to make some knowledge checks.

Please keep in mind that this scenario is somewhat influenced by Ultimate Intrigue. Traditional social skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate might not always be your best option!

Sovereign Court

Male
Skills:
Acrobatics:+15;Local:+5;Disable Device:+18;Intimidate:+11;Stealth:+12;Bluff:+14
Human (Ulfen) Aldori Swashbuckler CL8 (HP:76/76)(AC:26 FF:20 T:17)(F:+6/ R:+12/ W:+4)(Init:+8)(Perception:+10)

"Juuuuust great.... going back to my homelands. I didnt leave there last time in the best of regards... not after leaving some toffy minor noble with a dueling scar. I've heard of the Surtova and Orlovsky noble houses. My family never had any dealings with them. Heard one of the Orlovsky's was an athlete, pretty good one too. For you new folks to the area- lots of Gorum folks, and Pharasmans. Political intrigue is everywhere, one of the reasons why I left. Some folks will be quick to anger and if they have a slender blade like this one shows you his dueling sword at their hip then leave them to me. While not quite like Ustalav- some parts of the area can get fairly creepy and scary." Fenrik tells the others as they journey to the border region.

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Oracle of Life (Spirit Guide) 10 - HP 77/77, AC 21/T: 14/FF:18 - Perception +2 - F: +7*/ R: +8* / W: +10* - CMB: +5 - CMD: 18, Speed: 30, Init. +3

Berosius happily helps himself to the pies and pastries and is far too occupied with that diversion to take part in the discussion for some time.

Finally, hands spread across his now-tight waistcoat, he sighs contentedly and tries to focus on the discussion. "Does either noble house lay claim to Hartsfell Keep?"

Silver Crusade

"Since the Keep is near the town of Zmeyka, both houses feel that they have legitimate claims to the area."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Bard 9 HP 58 | AC 21; Touch 13; FF 19 | F +8; R +9; W +8 | CMB+7; CMD 20 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Perc +12 | Stealth: +6 Bard 9

[b]"Do you know which house has the STRONGER claim to the lands?"[b]

Liberty's Edge

Zaxxle flies over to the apple biscuits.

Hmmmm...these smell yummy"

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Oracle of Life (Spirit Guide) 10 - HP 77/77, AC 21/T: 14/FF:18 - Perception +2 - F: +7*/ R: +8* / W: +10* - CMB: +5 - CMD: 18, Speed: 30, Init. +3

"It sounds as though we need to tread carefully around the politics here," says Berosius, grinning to himself about that prospect.

Silver Crusade

Kelson Bard character wrote:
"Do you know which house has the STRONGER claim to the lands?"

"It's a matter of opinion. They each believe that they have a strong claim. After so much time, the issues have been... muddied."

Liberty's Edge

Zaxxle grabs one of the biscuits and flies back to Kelson's shoulder, lands and starts eating the biscuit.

Yummy

Dark Archive

Half-orc Inquisitor 6 / Cavalier 2 / Rogue 1 | HP 69/69 | AC 23; Tch 12; FF 22 | F +11; R +6; W +9 | CMB+12; CMD 23 | Speed 20 ft | Init +4 | +1 Cruel Keen Nodachi (adamantine): +14 (1d10+10/15-20) | Perc +16

A tall, strong, and absolutely hideous half-orc rushes into the room, out of breathe.

He wears full plate armor and a red cloak, so battered it is hardly wearable. Fastening his cloak at the neck is a shiny silver brooch of Ragathiel. He carries a finely crafted nodachi with a blade of solid adamantine.

"Harrow late! Harrow not know giving orders, but Harrow here now!"

The half-orc hardly seems to care about the mission briefing, but instead tears into the apple biscuits.

"Rarrow really...riss Rir Rydimus...recond-rest riend," he says between mouth-fulls of biscuit.

Liberty's Edge

Zaxxle peaks at Harrow.

Hmph...I'm glad I got a biscuit while they lasted!


M Efreeti Lord of All He Surveys 10 (HP 76/76; AC 33 / T 11 / FF 31 ; F +11, R +6, W +8; Init +2, Perception +11, Darkvision 60') [dice=Power Attack]1d20+19[/dice] [dice=Slashing dmg]3d6+26[/dice] [dice=Fire dmg]1d6[/dice]

Husarq looks at the grain-based mortal confections.

"Is there mortal blood baked into them?" he asks, wondering why anybody would eat such things.

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Summoner 10 (HP63/63; AC 20 / T 12 / FF 18; DR5 (fire); F +4, R +5, W +7; Init +2, Perception +0, Diplomacy +18, Kn(a, pl) +13, Darkvision 60')

"SILENCE, thrall!" commands Mareq. "Your efreet sensibilities are not appropriate here."

Sovereign Court

Male
Skills:
Acrobatics:+15;Local:+5;Disable Device:+18;Intimidate:+11;Stealth:+12;Bluff:+14
Human (Ulfen) Aldori Swashbuckler CL8 (HP:76/76)(AC:26 FF:20 T:17)(F:+6/ R:+12/ W:+4)(Init:+8)(Perception:+10)

After seeing the half orc burst onto the scene acting like an uncouth scallywag Fenrik asks Harrow and then the others "Are you going to be a problem on this mission? Is he going to be a problem? This could be a delicate situation we face... we have no time for ... whatever he is."

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Oracle of Life (Spirit Guide) 10 - HP 77/77, AC 21/T: 14/FF:18 - Perception +2 - F: +7*/ R: +8* / W: +10* - CMB: +5 - CMD: 18, Speed: 30, Init. +3

"Oh, he's a problem alright," says Berosius, scooting more muffins Harrow's way. "I tell him and tell him what the salad fork is for, but he never listens."

Berosius smiles up at Fenrik. "I'd rather face any problem in the world with Harrow at my back than without him... except for maybe addressing wedding invitations. That would be awkward. Anyway, he's blessed by the gods, he hits like a Chelaxian battle dromond, and he's got a heart of gold. So he's going with us. You'll be glad we have him as soon as anything goes pear-shaped. Even if he's the reason it goes pear-shaped."

Dark Archive

Half-orc Inquisitor 6 / Cavalier 2 / Rogue 1 | HP 69/69 | AC 23; Tch 12; FF 22 | F +11; R +6; W +9 | CMB+12; CMD 23 | Speed 20 ft | Init +4 | +1 Cruel Keen Nodachi (adamantine): +14 (1d10+10/15-20) | Perc +16

Harrow squints at the new Pathfinder questioning whether he will be problematic.

"Rarrow rot roblem," he says as he finishes another apple biscuit. He finishes off the rest of his meal and looks at the human with a steady gaze.

"Harrow not problem. Harrow very good at situations. You a problem?"

Silver Crusade

Husarq wrote:

Husarq looks at the grain-based mortal confections.

"Is there mortal blood baked into them?" he asks, wondering why anybody would eat such things.

A passing-by Pathfinder, who also happens to be a Kuthite, obliges Husarq's unusual request.

_____

Any other questions or preparations before we head on? Once we're past this point, you're on a "timer" for the mission.

Dark Archive

Half-orc Inquisitor 6 / Cavalier 2 / Rogue 1 | HP 69/69 | AC 23; Tch 12; FF 22 | F +11; R +6; W +9 | CMB+12; CMD 23 | Speed 20 ft | Init +4 | +1 Cruel Keen Nodachi (adamantine): +14 (1d10+10/15-20) | Perc +16

Let's roll!

Silver Crusade

The venture-captain provides you with transportation for the journey, riding with you on horseback as far as the capital New Stetven before hiring a riverboat to take you the rest of the way to Zmeyka. (He's heading to the capital I to ask King Noleski Surtova not to send more troops to Zmeyka out of concern that doing so will exacerbate the already-tense situation.)

As your boat arrives, you can see that Weathered granite encircles the sloping hillside town of Zmeyka with an iron gate built into the west wall. A dirt road leads from this entrance to a market square surrounded by several wooden buildings. At the town’s northernmost point stands a white-stone building with a single tower at its center. A large, ornate gold key protrudes from atop its onion-shaped dome. To the south, a collection of modest cottages rests on an expanse of verdant grass and wild flowers.

You also know that Zmeyka is a small town built near a local copper mine, which is the town’s main industry and export.

Day 1 08:00 AM.

Around town, wary-faced residents shuffle about their business, averting their eyes from the numerous armored figures keeping watch. Half of these imposing soldiers wear yellow tabards bearing the symbol of a black eagle, while the other half wear dark tabards bearing the symbol of a gray ship sailing under a night sky.

Knowledge Nobility:
15+: The soldiers with yellow tabards wear the crest of House Orlovsky, while the soldiers in the dark tabards wear that of House Surtova.
_____

20+: The disappearance of former ruling Brevic family, House Rogarvia, caused a massive divide between the remaining noble houses. Despite House Surtova’s previous favored status, Rogarvia loyalists now consider them usurpers. These loyalists include House Orlovsky, which is known for its staunch fealty, even a er the Vanishing.
_____

25+: Lord Poul Orlovsky’s niece, Sylvanna Orlovsky, o en acts as her uncle’s emissary. She was betrothed to a scion of House Rogarvia from birth, but the Vanishing soon ended the arrangement. She is known for her keen equestrianism and is considered an accomplished jouster despite her age. Berislav Surtova is a distant cousin of King Noleski Surtova and frequently serves as his envoy. He is an eligible bachelor who is rumored to favor the company of men over women. His skill with a sword is said to be second only to his expertise with gambling and strategic games.

Silver Crusade

At this point, you've just arrived in town and have no idea what's up--besides the fact that tensions are high. You'll have to gather some information by speaking with a potential bevy of NPCs.

This is a very social scenario. Though it doesn't follow the social encounter rules from Ultimate Intrigue to the letter, it clearly takes a lot of inspiration from the book. Your typical social checks (bluff, diplomacy, intimidate) are not always the best choices. You'll have to engage in some degree of "discovery" or "investigation" to determine what skill(s) work well (or less-well) with each NPC.

To that end, I've created a shared document to help you track the clues you discover.

You're literally "fresh off the boat"! So, to get you started you'll meet an arbitrary NPC named "Plot Hook." :-)

Silver Crusade

As the party looks around, it's clear that the average person/resident of Zmeyka is wary and prone to eye-aversion. They keep to their own business because feelings are very volatile--especially under the shadow of so many armed soldiers from rival houses.

A tipsy-looking gentleman stumbles across your path. Looks like he's been drowning his troubles at a local watering hole all now and is making his way home at the moment. Perhaps, in this unguarded moment, you could glean some information from him.

He accidentally stumbles into Harrow. "Huh? I don't remember a wall being here."

The happy drunk looks up at the half-orc through unfocused eyes and raises a mostly-empty bottle in a sort of drunken salute. "G'day, constable! Lovely morning, eh?"

"Say... Do you smell apple pie?"

Silver Crusade

The drunken human male's unfocused eyes drift in the direction of Zaxxle. He says to the pseudodragon: "Saaaaaaaay. You're not from around here, are you, sir? What brings you to Zmeyka?"

Dark Archive

Half-orc Inquisitor 6 / Cavalier 2 / Rogue 1 | HP 69/69 | AC 23; Tch 12; FF 22 | F +11; R +6; W +9 | CMB+12; CMD 23 | Speed 20 ft | Init +4 | +1 Cruel Keen Nodachi (adamantine): +14 (1d10+10/15-20) | Perc +16

Harrow looks like he is about to be annoyed after being run into, but the thought of apple pie shakes him out of it.

"Apple pie Harrow's favorite!" he says. "Maybe Harrow talk about apple pie if you tell Harrow what happening here. Why nobody smiling? What happening with all these guys on different teams?"

diplo: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Silver Crusade

At Harrow's bellowing voice, the man spins around to address him (and ends up facing Berosius, instead).

"What?!? You don't know what's going on in town? Didn't you hear what happened? The strength of House Rogarvia was sufficient to hold the country together despite internal tensions between the various houses. That is, until every member of House Rogarvia mysteriously disappeared 17 years ago in an event known as the Vanishing."

The man wiggles his fingers in a way that's clearly meant to indicate mystery and powerful forces.

"A member of House Surtova holds the throne now. But his position is far from stable. Brevoy teeters on the brink of civil war, with its noble families locked in a struggle for power."

The man's mind randomly zips from thought to thought.

"You know, Zmeyka flourished as a copper mining town under House Orlovsky. But, after Choral the Conqueror (House Rogarvia) ascended to the throne, he gave control of this land to House Surtova. In the aftermath of the Vanishing, the Surtovas offered to make Zmeyka a neutral territory in an effort to win the Orlovsky's support, but the land's status is still in contention."

The man spins again, this time facing Mareq.

"Although both Orlovsky and Surtova loyalists now live in town, our popular baron managed to keep the peace up until the last month--when he passed away from natural causes. Zmeyka's citizens have become increasingly bold in sniping at each other, and both the Orlovskys and the Surtovas have mobilized sizeable armed forces as 'peacekeepers' in the power vacuum. It is only a matter of time before the two houses clash."

He shakes his head with disappointment.

"It's a shame that Zmeyka's movers and shakers can't see eye to eye."

Liberty's Edge

In the mans head he hears.

no I'm NOT...I'm looking for common ground between the families in town.

She flies over to the apple pie.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Bard 9 HP 58 | AC 21; Touch 13; FF 19 | F +8; R +9; W +8 | CMB+7; CMD 20 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Perc +12 | Stealth: +6 Bard 9

Kelson chimes in.

"Has anyone looked for House Rogarvia? It seems they were key."

Silver Crusade

Kelson Bard character wrote:

Kelson chimes in.

"Has anyone looked for House Rogarvia? It seems they were key."

"The Vanishing" (the disappearance of House Rogarvia, 17 years ago) was a mysterious, in-canon event. Like the death of Aroden, it has never been fully explained by the folks at Paizo.

"Yep! Loyalists, mercenaries, and scholars have all looked int their disappearance." The drunken man then falls over on his backside.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Bard 9 HP 58 | AC 21; Touch 13; FF 19 | F +8; R +9; W +8 | CMB+7; CMD 20 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Perc +12 | Stealth: +6 Bard 9

Kelson continues with the man. "And NO one found anything? Who seems mostly likely to lead now a days?" He rubs his chin. "Did the baron have any heirs?"

Dark Archive

Half-orc Inquisitor 6 / Cavalier 2 / Rogue 1 | HP 69/69 | AC 23; Tch 12; FF 22 | F +11; R +6; W +9 | CMB+12; CMD 23 | Speed 20 ft | Init +4 | +1 Cruel Keen Nodachi (adamantine): +14 (1d10+10/15-20) | Perc +16

Harrow helps the drunk man up.

"Who are 'movers and shakers?' Harrow make them see each other eyes!"

Silver Crusade

Kelson Bard character wrote:
Kelson continues with the man. "And NO one found anything? Who seems mostly likely to lead now a days?" He rubs his chin. "Did the baron have any heirs?"

Much like Earthfall, the Rain of Stars, or the death of Aroden the Vanishing is a fixed point in Golarion lore. It's a mystery that's far beyond the scope of this scenario. In the Vanishing, every single person who was part of House Rogarvia disappeared. If someone had even a drop of Rogarvian blood, they simply vanished from existence. House Rogarvia was replaced by House Surtova as the ruling dynasty in Brevoy

At Kelson's question, the drunken man shares a handful of conspiracy theories--each more outrageous than the last.
____________________________________________________________

Kelson Bard character wrote:
This might be meta gaming. But would reading parts of Ultimate Intrigue help with the scenario?

Feel free. This scenario doesn't use the rules from UI strictly. But it does pull some inspiration from the 'Influence System' (Ultimate Intrigue, starting on page 102). Essentially, for our purposes, you should find out what you can about the NPCs (perhaps by talking diectly with them) and then use an appropriate skill. For example, if you wanted to talk to a diabolist from Cheliax, you might use Knowledge (Planes) instead of diplomacy.

____________________________________________________________

Harrow Tatterhood wrote:

Harrow helps the drunk man up.

"Who are 'movers and shakers?' Harrow make them see each other eyes!"

"Oh, thank you, sire!"

Inspired by Harrow's simple act of kindness, the man relates what he can about the influential people in town.

Movers and Shakers:

BERISLAV SURTOVA:
Berislav Surtova (male human) is a cousin of King Noleski Surtova and acting representative for the house. He is a somber man in his early 30s with dark features and a small scar running through his upper lip. He can usually be found with a handful of his soldiers near the town blacksmith.

GRANDT THE MARRED:
Grandt the Marred (male human) is so named for the burns covering most of his body. Despite his fearsome appearance, this apothecary is a so spoken and mild individual.

IDHRENNIEL EVERGUARD:
Idhrenniel (female elf) is a local hunter who catches animals in the nearby hills. She can be found selling meat and fur from her catches in Zmeyka's market square. She is somewhat reserved.

LANDER LEBEDA:
Lander Lebeda (male human) is the heir of House Lebeda. He is a handsome young man in his late teens with shoulder length pale hair and a trimmed goatee. His clothing appears well tailored and made of ne material but practical and weatherworn. Lander carries himself with poised gallantry.

SYLVANNA ORLOVSKY:
Sylvanna Orlovsky (female human) is the niece of Lord Poul Orlovsky and the captain of the house's forces in town. She is an attractive young lady with delicate features and gold hair bound into two plaits. She carries herself with fierce pride.

That's pretty much all the useful info you'll get out of this man. I've updated the shared document with a couple of examples of info about the NPCs in town. I leave it to the party to fill in the rest. You can use this info to discuss possible ways to approach and influence these NPCs.

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Summoner 10 (HP63/63; AC 20 / T 12 / FF 18; DR5 (fire); F +4, R +5, W +7; Init +2, Perception +0, Diplomacy +18, Kn(a, pl) +13, Darkvision 60')

"Let us greet the townsfolk first, and the meet with the leaders of each House, to pay our respects before moving onward to the Keep," says Mareq.

Let's suss out the lower tier movers and shakers, then talk to the Orlovskys and Surtovas.

"Hmmm, perhaps the perspective of a long-lived race would be valuable. Idrhrenniel the elf may know something about the Keep, as well."

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Bard 9 HP 58 | AC 21; Touch 13; FF 19 | F +8; R +9; W +8 | CMB+7; CMD 20 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Perc +12 | Stealth: +6 Bard 9

"Hmmm...good idea Mareq. Idrhrenniel seems a good choice to talk to!"

Liberty's Edge

In the party's heads they hear.

I wonder if the elf has apple biscuits?

Silver Crusade

Do you have a strategy for chatting up the elf? The clues you've gotten so far are: (1) she's an elf, (2) she's a hunter, (3) she hunts in the nearby hills, (4) she sells meat and fur from her catches in the market square, (5) she is somewhat reserved.
__________

Here are a couple more hints. Strictly speaking, they're not in the scenario, but it might help to provide an example for future social encounters.

As the party approaches Idhrenniel's market stall, you can see that she's a woman of few words. It's not so much that her words are terse--when she has something to say, she communicates completely. She simply doesn't speak unless there's something today.

You can also see that her customers admire the quality of her catches. She obviously takes care to dispatch her prey as humanely as possible. Furthermore, the killing blow is done expertly, preserving as much usable meat and fur as possible.

She also has the most impressive specimens of local fauna. One of her regular customers shakes his head, and let's out a long whistle of admiration. With a smile he exclaims: "I dunno how ye do it, Idhrenniel. I ain't never caught a rabbit even half this meaty! This'll make a great stew fer Lucky's birthday. Thank ye."

The elf merely nods once in reply.

Some possible avenues to chat up Idhrenniel: Knowledge (Nature) or Survival to competently discuss her hunting or skinning techniques. As always, if you have a creative way of applying a different skill, I'm totally down for you RP'ing that! :-)

Silver Crusade

Zaxxle dracos wrote:

In the party's heads they hear.

I wonder if the elf has apple biscuits?

As Zaxxle approaches, the pseudodragon immediately notices a freshly skinned squirrel roasting on a spit. It has been heavily basted with butter and other yummy spices.

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Oracle of Life (Spirit Guide) 10 - HP 77/77, AC 21/T: 14/FF:18 - Perception +2 - F: +7*/ R: +8* / W: +10* - CMB: +5 - CMD: 18, Speed: 30, Init. +3

"Hello!" says Berosius, pushing his way to the front of his much bigger group. "I'm Berosius and I do hope we aren't disturbing you. We're Pathfinders and we're trying to learn a little about the area. We were hoping you could tell us something about the region. And, in the meantime, perhaps you could show us your furs? I understand it gets very cold here in the winter."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29

Dark Archive

Half-orc Inquisitor 6 / Cavalier 2 / Rogue 1 | HP 69/69 | AC 23; Tch 12; FF 22 | F +11; R +6; W +9 | CMB+12; CMD 23 | Speed 20 ft | Init +4 | +1 Cruel Keen Nodachi (adamantine): +14 (1d10+10/15-20) | Perc +16

Harrow eyes the squirrel on the spit, with the butter and yummy spices.

The half-orc points at himself, and in his typical self-referential fashion, speaks about himself in the third person.

"Harrow expert at tasting food. Need help tasting that? It look like you good hunter to catch it...but good cooker, too."

diplo aid: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Silver Crusade

Berosius and Harrow make a very charming pair, when they want to. And though Idhrenniel is friendly towards you, she simply gestures to the wares laid out for display.

Perhaps if your line of questioning was more specific...

Liberty's Edge

Male Ifrit Summoner 10 (HP63/63; AC 20 / T 12 / FF 18; DR5 (fire); F +4, R +5, W +7; Init +2, Perception +0, Diplomacy +18, Kn(a, pl) +13, Darkvision 60')

"Good Hunter Idhrenniel, I have one general question and one specific question, if you would indulge a traveler from urban locales on and off this plane of existence..." asks Mareq politely. "Do you find squirrels are really the best return on investment, given how little protein mass they provide and how much effort you must spend on killing them? If you factor in business overhead and bio-energy consumption on your part, wouldn't a larger animal be a better investment? Say an elk or hart, perhaps?"

Mareq shifts gears slightly, "Now, with anybody else, I would use this conversational direction to segue into questions about Hartsfall Keep, asking you small inquiries linking deer hunting to HARTsfall Keep, you see. But you seem the direct type, concise and conserving of your rhetorical energies. So, instead, I shall ask directly, what can you tell us about Hartsfall Keep? We are historians and antiquities recorders and plan to venture into the keep to examine it."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30

"Oh, but please don't think I'm not genuinely interested in the hunter energy cost/benefit analysis one takes into account in your line of work. Really, so small. The commons in the City of Brass would rarely hunt lava rats, finding it more profitable to simply steal coins and pay for the local shaman to cast Create Food & Water spells."

1 to 50 of 1,910 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / PFS: #9-03: On the Border of War [5-9] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.