Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread

Game Master nightflier

Set in the grim world of Aryth, Nightflier's Midnight is a game that speaks of almost futile hope that shines against the darkness.


251 to 300 of 4,009 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Ragnar, when will you be able to join the game actively?


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
nightflier wrote:
Hi, Ragnar, you're back from your trip? I hope you like the game so far.

I was at my sister's house for my last posts, so I figured I'd drop a little thematic stuff as filler for the group to react to.

I'm back now, so game on!


Male Dorn Channeler - 1 (Spiritual)
Doomed Hero wrote:
gabboge wrote:
I would like to join if there is still room.

Gabboge! Sweet! Whatcha playin'?

You know what would be awesome? More Dorns! That would be awesome.

Dorn does sounds cool but I think I would much rather play a Sarcosan if I could. For heroic paths, I like Dreamer and Speaker. I was thinking spell caster to build up to Haunted One.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
gabboge wrote:
Doomed Hero wrote:
gabboge wrote:
I would like to join if there is still room.

Gabboge! Sweet! Whatcha playin'?

You know what would be awesome? More Dorns! That would be awesome.

Dorn does sounds cool but I think I would much rather play a Sarcosan if I could. For heroic paths, I like Dreamer and Speaker. I was thinking spell caster to build up to Haunted One.

You should totally be a Dorn. With that concept you pretty much tie *directly* into Eyvendr and Ragnar's back story. (seriously, if you can tie your character into the ruins of Nalford or House Fallon, we could do some really cool scenes.)


Male Dorn Channeler - 1 (Spiritual)
Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
gabboge wrote:
Doomed Hero wrote:
gabboge wrote:
I would like to join if there is still room.

Gabboge! Sweet! Whatcha playin'?

You know what would be awesome? More Dorns! That would be awesome.

Dorn does sounds cool but I think I would much rather play a Sarcosan if I could. For heroic paths, I like Dreamer and Speaker. I was thinking spell caster to build up to Haunted One.
You should totally be a Dorn. With that concept you pretty much tie *directly* into Eyvendr and Ragnar's back story. (seriously, if you can tie your character into the ruins of Nalford or House Fallon, we could do some really cool scenes.)

And I cave into peer pressure. Sounds good. Now I just gotta read up on Dorns a bit. Out of all the human races they are the ones I have read the least of.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Ok got it, starting char creation, Erenlander chanceborn fighter, taking levels in charismatic channeler to prestige into warrior arcanist.

Reading up on creation guidelines now


Male Dorn Channeler - 1 (Spiritual)
Mark Thomas wrote:

Ok got it, starting char creation, Erenlander chanceborn fighter, taking levels in charismatic channeler to prestige into warrior arcanist.

Reading up on creation guidelines now

Use Erenlander Paragon (if your allowed) to pad that up.

Dark Archive

Mark Thomas wrote:

Ok got it, starting char creation, Erenlander chanceborn fighter, taking levels in charismatic channeler to prestige into warrior arcanist.

Reading up on creation guidelines now

The game is 28 point buy.

Erenlanders do not suffer -2 penalty to ability score.

All the feat and skill bonuses apply, but we use Pathfinder skills.

You can choose two traits subjected to my approval from following sources: Pathfinder products, Iron Heroes and, of course, Destiny and Shadow. If you use Destiny and Shadow, you do not have to sacrifice a feat or anything else in order to gain traits as long as you choose only two.

I tend to award detailed and well thought out backgrounds with bonus feat.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
Mark Thomas wrote:

Ok got it, starting char creation, Erenlander chanceborn fighter, taking levels in charismatic channeler to prestige into warrior arcanist.

Reading up on creation guidelines now

For you!

My Chanceborn Rework for Pathfinder.

Also...be a Dorn! (nudge nudge) ;)


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

I don't normally do this, but I'm wondering if I missed something...

Izkrael, who just posted in the IC thread, doesn't ring any bells from the people we've met so far in the game.

So I clicked on his page to see if it would jog my memory. I'm thinking that either I missed something pretty big, or he did.

He's listed as a 3rd level paladin, 1st level ranger, neither of which are classes which exist in midnight.

He also seems to worship the aztec god of knowledge...

What's going on?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Probably wrong avatar. And I think thres enough Dorns


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5
Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:

I don't normally do this, but I'm wondering if I missed something...

Izkrael, who just posted in the IC thread, doesn't ring any bells from the people we've met so far in the game.

So I clicked on his page to see if it would jog my memory. I'm thinking that either I missed something pretty big, or he did.

He's listed as a 3rd level paladin, 1st level ranger, neither of which are classes which exist in midnight.

He also seems to worship the aztec god of knowledge...

What's going on?

This character is played by Nathan Nasif, who is also the one playing Zafina (our sarcosan ranger). This is just an avatar error.

Dark Archive

Mark Thomas wrote:
Probably wrong avatar. And I think thres enough Dorns

I agree. :)


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
nightflier wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Probably wrong avatar. And I think thres enough Dorns
I agree. :)

Now why the hell didn't I think of that. Thanks guys.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
Mark Thomas wrote:
Probably wrong avatar. And I think thres enough Dorns

I guess my dream of actually seeing five dorns in the same game is still unfulfilled. Sigh.


Mark Thomas wrote:
Probably wrong avatar. And I think thres enough Dorns

C'mon, who hasn't done that before lol!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Will be ready to go by tomorrow

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

So let me get this straight, with the right feat selection I can be a fighter and still cast spells right?

Inspiration for the character is coming from the Artesia graphic novel.

Dark Archive

Mark Thomas wrote:

So let me get this straight, with the right feat selection I can be a fighter and still cast spells right?

Inspiration for the character is coming from the Artesia graphic novel.

Yes, you can. What kind of spell caster and fighter depends on your concept. For instance, you can choose to be wildlander human with high intelligence and hermetic tradition, or you can go with elf charismatic fighter, or something else entirely. That allows you to play a kind of arcane paladin or whatever. Just remember to choose one item made of white bone - not a weapon - that will be your covenant item.

Dark Archive

To all players - please add to your character sheets white bone items in separate field.


A little advance warning -- I'll be on vacation (in the Dominican Republic) from Feb 27-Mar 6.

Dark Archive

hogarth wrote:
A little advance warning -- I'll be on vacation (in the Dominican Republic) from Feb 27-Mar 6.

Have a great time.


Character basics, fleshing out details and yes her background will include reasoning for her use of a verdatch


Nightflyer

Spoiler:

Just seeing if this is a viable background, slave turned bed slave for orc leader with a penchant for human flesh. Also had a habit of sending bedslaves into pit fights for his amusement. she was his favorite because of her firceness and the thrill of dominating a killer. Stayed his favorite up until the night she murdered him. gifted with eerie magical ability she is just beginning to understand. Natural leader, especially focused on the plight of women under this dark regime.

If this doesn't work for you I have other ideas.


Male Human (Dorn) Wildlander / 1

Nightflier:

Spoiler:

Would Pete's acute sense of smell reveal that something about Eyvindr is "not quite right"? Would he sense that Eyvindr smells "dead"?

Dark Archive

Rhiannon wrote:

Nightflyer

** spoiler omitted **

Mark:
Background idea is interesting, although I think that Chanceborn path doesn't work with it. There are some alternatives that you might consider: perhaps your character was one of the Sisters of Tender Mercies with run afoul of some high legate and then cast down to be orcish bed slave? She then renounced dark god and killed orc commander before running away? To be honest, I fondly remember Ilona Ebonblade from our short game together, and I would very much like to see her reincarnated. Perhaps you can adapt her to Midnight?
Dark Archive

Eyvindr the Proud wrote:

Nightflier:

** spoiler omitted **

Eyvindr:
Not at this moment. There are to many animals and persons around.
RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

nightflier wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Nightflyer

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

You think a personality like hers would work in that dark a setting? It would definitely be a testament to a resilient character. And she is one of my all time favorites.

Dark Archive

Yes, I think that she should fit really well - with well thought out background. I don't know if you have all of the Midnight sourcebooks or just campaign setting, so I can't recommend what to read upon, but I would suggest high Charisma for her and Doomed Hero's revorked Charismatic path.

Doomed, I'm gonna copy your rework here:

Doomed Hero's Charismatic path:

1 Stunning
2 Distracting x1, -2 maximum
3 Muse x1 per day
4 +1 Charisma
5 Charming
6 Heartbreaker
7 Distracting x2, -4 maximum
8 +1 Charisma
9 Muse x2 per day
10 Eternally Charming
11 Ladykiller (Maneater)
12 +1 Charisma
13 Distracting x3, -6 maximum
14 School of Charm
15 Muse x3 per day
16 +1 Charisma
17 The Eye of the Beholder
18 Distracting x4, -8 maximum
19 Charm Anything
20 Perfection Made Flesh

Stunning: (ex) You are incredibly beautiful. People tend to forget what they are doing or what they are saying around you, and you've figured out how to encourage it. As a standard action you may cause a humanoid creature that you can communicate with to make a Will save against a DC equal to 10+1/2 your character level+your charisma modifier. Failing this save means the creature is effectively Dazed for one round. This can cause performers to stumble in their acts, riders to fall of their horses, people to walk into walls or other people, or other such embarrassing situations. It can be used at will, but using it against the same target more than once per day gives them a cumulative +2 bonus against the effect. If a target is the subject of hostile action while they are Stunned they may make a Sense Motive check against the abilitiy's normal DC. If the hostile creatures are obvious allies of the Charismatic, the subject gains a +10 bonus to their Sense Motive check. If they succeed they become immune to the effects of this ability forever.

Distracting: You can make it hard for others to concentrate. You may designate a number of creatures up to the number listed. As long as you are within sight, those creatures receive a penalty to Armor Class, Reflex saves and skill checks equal to your Charisma modifier, up to a maximum penalty as listed.

Muse: A number of times per day as indicated, you may grant a competence bonus to one skill check equal to 1/2 your character level. This requires no actual action on your part, only that you be present during the ammount of time that it takes to complete the action the check is made for. For Craft checks this may take hours, for a Perform check, only minutes, for a Tumble or Jump check it may only take seconds.

Charming: (su) You make a great first impression. Any person that speaks with you for more than a minute must make a Will save or fall under the effects of a Charm Person spell. This only effects creatures normally able to be targeted by that spell. This is not necessarily a conscious action on your part, and may occur whether you want it to or not. Spellcraft does not identify this effect as it happens, nor does Detect magic detect it being cast, though once it is cast it's Aura can be seen. A sense motive check made against a DC equal to 10+1/2 the charismatic's character level+ their charisma modifier, or their Bluff check (whichever is higher) can be used to determine the nature of the effect.

Heartbreaker: You are always considered to be taking 10 on Diplomacy checks against any creature with a capacity for attraction towards you

Eternally Charming: By paying careful attention to a creature effected by your Charming ability, you may treat it's duration as permeant. To use this ability you must maintain contact with the creature in some way (even letters or Sending can be used) at least once a month. This ability can only be used against one creature at a time.

Ladykiller (or Maneater): (ex) Creatures who are affected by your charm and beauty have a hard time convincing themselves to hurt you. Any creature with the capacity to be attracter to you who tries to cause you harm must make a Will save against a DC 10+1/2 your character level+your charisma modifier or be unable to do so. Aside from the DC, this ability functions in all ways as a Sanctuary spell.

School of Charm: You may instruct others on social grace. By taking at least an hour you may instruct an individual on how to behave in a social encounter to obtain a stated desired effect. For 24 hours they may substitute your ranks in Charisma based skills for their own during any encounter in which they are pursuing the previously agreed on desired effect.

The Eye of the Beholder: (su) Your beauty has become supernaturally powerful. Creatures begin seeing you more and more as their physical ideal, even if that physical ideal is different than your actual appearance. The differences will never drastically change your appearance, but things like hight, weight, shade of skin or hair, eye color, or even basic racial characteristics may shift slightly in the minds of others. Dwarves may see you as shorter and thicker. Orcs may see you as taller and more muscular. This ability allows you to avoid any and all penalties to Charisma related roles for being of a different species or culture than another creature. This ability can cause some confusion if different creatures ever compare notes about your appearance.

Charm Anything: Your Charming ability may be used on any creature you can communicate with.

Perfection Made Flesh: (su) Your beauty has become the stuff of legends. Creatures who see you must make Will saves every round (DC 10+1/2 your character level+your charisma modifier) to do anything except stare at you in awe. This is a Mind Effecting ability.

I would recommend for her to take 1st level of fighter and then to go with charismatic channeler and to take Warrior Arcanist prestige class, combined with weapon bond Charisma-long sword or something like that.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Nice, I'll get started on the rework after work today.

Dark Archive

Mark Thomas wrote:
Nice, I'll get started on the rework after work today.

What race have you considered, Dorn or Sarcossan?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

nightflier wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Nice, I'll get started on the rework after work today.
What race have you considered, Dorn or Sarcossan?

Erenlander is first choice but Sarcosan may work better. I know they want to pull of the whole 5 Dorns walk into a bar..., but I can't see her being Dorn.

Dark Archive

I think that Sarcosan is perhaps better choice. She obviously needs to be city raised and to have some contact with nobility of the land, such as there is. And Sarcosan ability modifiers work well with her, I think.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
Mark Thomas wrote:


Erenlander is first choice but Sarcosan may work better. I know they want to pull of the whole 5 Dorns walk into a bar..., but I can't see her being Dorn.

Can't see it? Valkyrie? Shield Maiden? Buxom blond-braided warrior woman slinging spells and steel? ;)

Hell, the norse practically wrote the book on the achetype you're going for.

(I'm really not pushing as hard as it might seem. I just like arguing. It's your character, and sounds awesome no matter what you choose.)

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:


Erenlander is first choice but Sarcosan may work better. I know they want to pull of the whole 5 Dorns walk into a bar..., but I can't see her being Dorn.

Can't see it? Valkyrie? Shield Maiden? Buxom blond-braided warrior woman slinging spells and steel? ;)

Hell, the norse practically wrote the book on the achetype you're going for.

(I'm really not pushing as hard as it might seem. I just like arguing. It's your character, and sounds awesome no matter what you choose.)

Mark and me played in Ptolus game. I played Litorian paladin called Num-Rah and he played Ilona Ebonblade. I've noticed that many well thought out characters become dormant when pbps they are created for die. I thought of Ilona when Mark suggested arcane warrior type.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Yup and trust me with the Charismatic path she's going to be so much fun.

Dark Archive

Mark Thomas wrote:
Yup and trust me with the Charismatic path she's going to be so much fun.

I like your idea for her to be armed with vardatch more and more. Weapon Bond gives Exotic Weapon feat for free, so I think it can work if you manage to satisfy strength reqs.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

So is this thread going to continue to be the OOC thread for the game?

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
So is this thread going to continue to be the OOC thread for the game?

Yes. By the way, what is your white bone item?


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
nightflier wrote:


Yes. By the way, what is your white bone item?

Ragnar has a lot of them. Should the special one be something found, or something carved himself?


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Still a little finalizing and typing bacjground but here's how she looks so far.

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
nightflier wrote:


Yes. By the way, what is your white bone item?
Ragnar has a lot of them. Should the special one be something found, or something carved himself?

This is your covenant item that the white elf used to summon you all. You have found it somehow but you still do not know it's powers or that it is covenant item.

Dark Archive

Ilona Ebonblade wrote:
Still a little finalizing and typing bacjground but here's how she looks so far.

Looks nice so far.


Male Human (Dorn) Wildlander / 1

Nightflier:

Spoiler:

What would happen if Eyvindr consumed tea or regular food? Anything?


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
nightflier wrote:


This is your covenant item that the white elf used to summon you all. You have found it somehow but you still do not know it's powers or that it is covenant item.

Got it. In that case-

Spoiler:
Already on his character sheet is an elaborate hourglass made of bone and glass, with powdered bone inside it, carved with effigies of the Vigdir. How does that sound?

Dark Archive

He would gain no sustenance from it. Also, I think that dry foods and breads and stuff like that are not good for him, but meat should not cause problems.

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
nightflier wrote:


This is your covenant item that the white elf used to summon you all. You have found it somehow but you still do not know it's powers or that it is covenant item.

Got it. In that case-

** spoiler omitted **

Very nice. I had something different in mind for you, but this gives me some new ideas that will work very well with your character.

Dark Archive

Ilona Ebonblade wrote:
Still a little finalizing and typing bacjground but here's how she looks so far.

Very nice to meet you again, Ilona. I hope that you can join the game soon. By the way, which feet did you take as your bonus feat that you gain from background?


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3
nightflier wrote:
Ilona Ebonblade wrote:
Still a little finalizing and typing bacjground but here's how she looks so far.
Very nice to meet you again, Ilona. I hope that you can join the game soon. By the way, which feet did you take as your bonus feat that you gain from background?

How about this

Spoiler:

Resigned to Death [General]
You have faced the worst of the Shadow’s minions
and subtle deceptions, and come through it with a
greater understanding of your role in the war against
him. Death no longer frightens you, and you meet new
challenges with a grim determination.
Prerequisite: Wis 13.
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to saving throws
against fear effects. Further, any fear effect you suffer
from is lessened by one step. For instance, if you would
normally be panicked, you are instead frightened; if you
would normally be frightened, you are instead shaken;
and if you would normally be shaken, you suffer no ill
effects.

Crap! just realiszed I don't meet the wisdom requirement. I'll keep looking

so this instead

Spoiler:

Improvised Weapon (Fighter,
General)
As a veteran brawler and scrapper, you have learned to
attack enemies and defend yourself with whatever weapons
are at hand.
Benefit: You do not take the usual –4 penalty on attack
rolls when using an improvised weapon. Further, because of
your flexibility, you only take a –2 penalty to attack rolls
when using a weapon with which you are not proficient.

251 to 300 of 4,009 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Nightflier's Midnight All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.