GM Euan's Mummy's Mask (Inactive)

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Osirion Map - Wati City Map - Tephu City Map


2,101 to 2,150 of 8,813 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
GM Euan wrote:

The group takes their leave of the freshly grieving widow, and (presumably) heads to the Necropolis for a quick trip.

Agents of the church escort you to the dig site, where other agents are still removing the Scorched Hand. You collect Akar, and return his corpse to the church who takes him in and prepares him for a formal burial.

While at the dig site you grab a few more texts as well (though you still need nearly a full day's work to collect them all). The sun sets on another busy day, and you find yourself again in the Tooth and Hookah.

You have two days before the auction, and need one of them to hunt for books in the Nethys library.

Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:

When he reaches the Tooth and Hookah, Ben seems very worn, both emotionally and physically. As soon as he spots his friends, though, his smile widens and he hurries to their table. “Well met, my friends! Had a good day?” He listens to whatever they answer, then gives them some updates on his personal occupations. “I’ve been writing my book. I’m quite satisfied at the moment, but I’m far from the conclusion.”

After a few more mundane questions have been discussed, Benedictus gets straight to the point. “We’re two days away from the auction. Would you like to head to the dig site tomorrow, in the morning? I will make some arrangements for a few carts and porters, if needed, although I’ve just learned a spell that could save us some money.”

Nidhi places a couple of the books from the Church of Nethys on the table. "Here Ben." Nidhi sits down and lets out a long sigh. She fiddles with her braid, weaving the thick braid in between her fingers. "I'm happy to say our day was productive if not a little sad." Nidhi glances at Cahal before continuing: "We were able to locate Panhet, lover of Akar. She wished for us to retrieve his body and bring it to the church for a proper burial - so we did, of course." Nidhi releases her braid to tap on the books she placed on the table. "We also stopped by the Church of Nethys to check in on things. We saw agents retrieving the bodies of the Scorched Hand and I picked up a couple of books during our brief stop."

"If you're up for it Ben, I suggest we all return to the Church of Nethys tomorrow - like you suggested - to collect the rest of the library worth any gold. The books aren't doing any good rotting in the Necropolis. I'm sure the dead won't mind. We have no need for material things once we die." Nidhi still doesn't agree with removing corpses from the Necropolis in order to sell them.

Nidhi stares at Benedictus, "Err, what spell have you learned that will save us money?"

I forgot to pick spells for Nidhi when she leveled. Oops.


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal too perks up at the mention of money. She had completely phased out of all that had been said prior, wondering whether she would try to buy a house in Panhet's neighbourhood.


HP: 75/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 4/6, L3: 0/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Death Ward, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47
Cahal wrote:

Cahal's eyes let go of the tears they'd harboured, and she pushes the coins back in Panhet's hands: "Please, I will do this gladly for naught but knowing that you have found peace in this world, and your husband in the next. I will see you at the church."

When she returns to her waiting companions, she pleads for their help, which they seem all to happy to lend. She smiles warmly, wiping the tears away, thinking of hope in this life.

The rather gruff, no-nonsense woman's sudden display of emotion catches Florence by surprise .Of all her new companions she had thought Cahal the easiest to read, but maybe she'd been wrong about that.

I guess maybe I'm not the only one feeling out of sorts today.

"Wh-yes, of course we'll help," she responds when Cahal begs the rest of them for their help in securing Akar's body for removal. "What sort of people would we be if we didn't?"
______

"Yeah, tell us about what you've learned today," Florence responds, looking curious. "The more money saved, the...better, right?" she adds, doing her best to stifle a yawn. The spirit was willing (and genuinely interested in Ben's accomplishments) but the flesh was weak and growing rather weary in a hurry.
______

Sorry, it's been a long day/evening...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Zilchus slumps into a chair near Ben, putting his drink down on the table. He is thinking of the single woman and what he will do next week with his new found wealth.

I might be courting.

He listens to Ben drone and the banter between Florence and Nidhi as he sips and thinks. He doesn't feel like he has much to add right now, but does note that he's willing to help go get the books...mostly because he thinks that's what Abdur would want and expect him to do.

"Yeah, I'm in for tomorrow. Get the books. Glorious work for a noted grave robber like myself. Let's go when you're ready."

Zilchus finishes his drink and goes to get another.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Benedictus is happy to answer to Nidhi’s question concerning his new spell. “It is usually called floating disk among spellcasters. Essentially, it allows to create a slightly concave, circular plane of force that follows you about and carries loads for you. I’ve tried to cast it, and mine lasts for 4 hours. Not bad, all in all, especially considering that each disk allows to carry about 400 pounds, at least at my current ability. I can maintain in existence up to four disks simultaneously, which equates to 1,600 pounds for 4 hours. Do you think it will be enough?

Then Benedictus turns to Florence. “Well, in all honesty I’ve not learned anything new, apart from a few deductions that I still need to prove concretely. It was more about writing the results of our explorations and interpreting them in the light of the most recent studies in the history of Ancient Osirion. Boring stuff, I know…

With that, Ben drinks and eats with his friends. He’s happy to chat about whatever topic they will propose. Before leaving for the night, Benedictus addresses to all of his companions. “So, I’ll see you tomorrow. We’ll go to the dig site and do as planned. Have a good night, my friends!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 4

The group stays up late eating and drinking and chatting about all that lies behind them. In the morning, you gather again and stop by Milki.

You obtain some crates from Abdur, who also offers to send a pair of porters to help carry and pack. ”Magic is fine for some things, but another pair of hand can be invaluable.” he advises. With or without the porters, (but do let me know if they’re along), you head to the entrance of the Necropolis. There are many more guards there now, and a pair of them peel off from the group along with a lesser priest, haltingly in charge of the troops.

The party returns to the dig site and your escort returns to the gate leaving you in peace. You wonder, briefly, how they’re going to know when you’re ready to go, when you realize you’re on your own for the return journey.

You’ve most of the day ahead of you and spend the bulk of it in the inner portion of the structure where it’s cooler - the library.

Time has trashed most of the documents here, and the time it takes is not so much deciding what to keep, it’s find ways to preserve what is there and packing it carefully for transportation. If you use Mending, you’ll save even more (let me know if so).

By the end of the day, you have an unknown value of texts, but you have preserved much from the ancient past for the present. One or two things are in remarkably good shape, but most are partial transcriptions of the originals.

Some excerpts from a historical text, largely intact, feel somewhat topical though you’re not sure why.

To construct a proper tomb to house a pharaoh eternally, a mountain of stones needed to be cut from the earth.

Working day and night, slaves carved massive blocks from quarries in the hills and mountains. These quarries were often miles away from the pyramid site, so they had to be carefully ferried down the Sphinx River on sturdy barges. Some of the stonecutters employed magic that effortlessly cleaved stone from earth, but most of them labored in dangerous conditions, working only with copper tools.

One team of stonecutters split the blocks from the walls of the quarry, and a second team shaped the blocks with copper saws. The shafts into the mountains were large enough only for the human slaves, and they worked in large teams to drag the blocks outside to be given to giants, who would then drag the stones downhill to be loaded onto barges.

And in another section,

In the vast desert stand ruins of Osirion’s First Age.

Statues of pharaohs tower proudly in the desert in places where ancient cities once thrived. Many of these statues are nameless today, victims of the long march of time. Osirionologists venture into the desert to study these monuments, believing they can unlock the great power the empire once held.

These scholars claim that statues of the pharaohs were once enchanted with great power and would bestow boons upon those who showed the proper respect. If the proper offering was presented at the feet of these statues and the correct phrases were spoken aloud honoring the pharaoh, the supplicant would be granted luck, health, and prosperity. Osirionologists have identified some of the statues, but a vast number of them remain a mystery.

Thus does the day pass uneventfully.

Don’t get too worked up by the text. It won’t mean anything to you for a while.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Are you going to sell your Scorched Hand goods through Abdur? Remember Ptemenib suggested not selling those goods at the auction for fear of reprisal. Also it would make Abdur very happy as you're cutting him off from the best of the grave goods.

Make sure there aren't items you want to keep and let me know what you decide. I've noted the Scorched Hand loot on the treasure sheet in the right hand column temporarily.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

After a night of laughing and merriment, Nidhi returns to Jharna's shop to see crisply painted shutters framing each window. Jharna had closed the downstairs s~~*ters but kept the upstairs one open to help ventilate the small building. Nidhi appreciates the harsh whiteness the paint, knowing that in a few weeks sand will overtake the purity of the color.

A basket of sweet rolls is laid out on the table with a cloth covering the top. Food was one of the ways Jharna let her granddaughter know she was loved. Nidhi grabs one of the soft, yeasty rolls and heads upstairs to bed.

~*~*~*~*~

"That's a generous offer Abdur, but I think we'll be fine on our own without porters. We have Benedictus' magic and Florence's ass." (Lol.) Nidhi dislikes the idea of other people getting a glimpse of the historical treasures before the party decides what they plan on doing with the loot. "Of course, I can't speak for everyone here. What do you all think?" Nidhi turns to her companions, curious as to if they want extra help from the porters.

Are the Scorched Hand's items like the Scrolls, Wands and Flasks identifiable as having belonged to them? Or are you mainly talking about their weapons and armor?


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

As for the Scorched Hand I'm talking about all their gear. It's quite a list. Lots of scrolls and potions, many of which have been claimed, but there are a few odds and ends yet in the storeroom.


HP: 75/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 4/6, L3: 0/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Death Ward, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"It doesn't matter to me either way," Florence shrugs. "Ben's magical floating disk should be able to hold a lot on its' own, but if Ben or Zilchus think we might still find the extra hands handy then I won't say no to the help."
______

During the long day spent sorting and packing and transcribing, Florence edges her way over to where Cahal is working. She coughs, not entirely sure of how to really address the warrior, but then decides that maybe the best option is to jump right in.

"So...what do you think you'll do once we're done with everything and the auction is over?" she asks quietly as they work. "You were wanting to make a better life for you and your daughter, right?"


I've looked at the loot list and the only things that Zilchus wants are the Pearl of Power. He's happy to carry some of the healing supplies, but doesn't have much use for the rest.

As far as the Scorched Hand stuff goes, he's happy to not cause waves and will sell/not-sell the loot to Abdur or whatevers.

Zilchus helps with Florence's ass or the porters or guiding the disk as needed. He is mostly sober, mostly awake, but anxious to get this 'boring' book run done, keeping watch as best he can because if he was in charge of the books, he'd be shoving them in sacks just to get it done.

Zilchus will keep an active, if bored, watch while others collect the books.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

With just Benedictus' spell and the aid of the donkey, Nidhi helps sort through the library inside the Church of Nethys. Nidhi makes a few observations here and there about the different texts; noting an interesting cover or one with a particularly worn spine. Nidhi is the most cheerful as the party exits the Necropolis with their spoils. "Wait until Abdur sees these. I wonder if he'll be able to help identify any of them," Nidhi offers conversationally.

Nidhi waves to the guards at the gate and smiles. "How goes it? Have you had many visitors through the gates today?" Nidhi nods in farewell and waves again, "may Pharasma's blessing be with you!"

At Abdur's Storeroom:

Nidhi helps careful unpack the various texts into the crowded space. "Abdur," Nidhi addresses their sponsor, "Perhaps you should take a look at these. Maybe you recognize a few titles?"

Nidhi causally looks over a few of the books, assuming more time will be spent examining them tomorrow.

Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

~*~*~*~*~

Nidhi waves goodbye to her companions, promising to meet them for breakfast tomorrow to discuss their last minute plans for the day before the auction.

Jharna's Shop:

Nidhi enjoys the warm evening air as she returns to Jharna's shop. Jharna has a pot of veal stew cooking over the fireplace and leftover sweet rolls from the night before. The two woman sit down to enjoy a meal together as Nidhi finally opens up to her grandmother about the wealth she thinks she's about to accrue from the auction. "Grandmother, you should come to the auction!" Nidhi's eyes light up with the idea and she excitedly sits up in her chair. "You know, to see what we found. Who knows if you'll ever see anything like it again."

Jharna sits back in her seat to look at her granddaughter, "I'll see if I can spare the time." The corners of Jharna's eye crinkle as she smiles back at Nidhi.

Nidhi throws her hands into the air. "Don't you see grandmother? If the items get as much as Abdur helped us appraise them for, you could retire from this shop! Spend you time taking walks through the city or gardening in the backyard! We could sell the shop - move to the Outer Farms."

Jharna stares at Nidhi for a long while without saying anything. Then: "Do you think there's anything wrong with this life? Nidhi, I enjoy my work. I encourage you to find work you can find passion in too. Without my work, I'd be a boring noble with no purpose."

Nidhi feels a pang of guilt. This shop with her grandmother's livelihood. It was part of who her grandmother was as a person. Nidhi feels Jharna's warm hand cover her own, and she looks up to meet Jharna's gaze. "Nidhi dear, you should do whatever makes you happy." Jharna offers another smile, "...But after having a taste for adventure, I doubt you'll ready to give it up just yet."

Nidhi frowns, not understanding Jharna's words. "What do you mean? My place is here. With you. If you choose to continue working here, well, so will I!"

Jharna shakes her head. Nidhi took her joking too seriously sometimes. "Nidhi, my love, we all have our own paths to follow. We all have our own fate that Pharasma watches. We'd be fighting ourselves to resist it and presume otherwise." Jharna kisses Nidhi's forehead and heads upstairs to bed. "Clean up, will you dear? You smell like a moldy library."

~*~*~*~*~

The morning comes before Nidhi is ready for it. She pulls a clean shirt over her head and pulls up a pair of tan pants. Nidhi gives her armpit a tentative sniff and is pleased to see she still smells like herbs from her bath last night.

Nidhi leaves the shop without eating anything and meets her companions at the tavern. "Ahh, flatbread and honey please!" Nidhi flags down a server and orders her favorite snack. Turning to her companions: "So how did everyone sleep last night? Today is the last day before the big auction!" Nidhi grins, ripping apart the flatbread and dipping it generously into the honey. Nidhi leans forward, "Besides taking another look at the books, what have you all got planned?" Nidhi takes her time to look about the table, trying to read each facial expression. Nidhi resembles a chipmunk while chewing a hunk of flatbread.


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

After their rest, Cahal seems happy with the physical work of heaving heavy bags around in the heat. Her body seems to have recuperated quickly enough from their latest ordeals and the labour seems to make it more malleable, as if it needed not just rest, but a healthy dose of motion.

As they make their way back and pass the guards, she notices how they look at them differently now. They had proven themselves it seemed, or were now small time celebrities, at least as far as the Necropolis guards. They probably had conversations about them. Small idle talk to pass the day. It made her smile. When she fought in the arena, it felt the same, and she kind of liked it, when it was good comments at least.

That evening, she has a drink only with her friends before returning home. She gets her daughter to bed and plays in her hair until she falls asleep. Tomorrow, their lives would be forever changed.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Ben accepts the help of a few porters, and tries to convince Nidhi that mundane help is always needed, because magic can fail you even when you're sure it cannot. He also prepares mending among his cantrips in order to be able to restore some damaged books once inside the library.

Benedictus spends most of the days carrying books and maintaining floating disks into existence, but also takes a curious look at the contents of some of the books. He had heard something about the giant statues of the Pharaohs in the past, but the information he has gathered through the books are quite welcome in his mental library.

After the hard day of work, Benedictus tries to deal with the issue about the Schorched Hand's goods. "I think we should not sell them immediately, in order to avoid retailiation", Benedictus explains to his companions, "we will explain our motivations to Abdur and I'm sure that he will be reasonable enough to understand".

To Nidhi, Ben's answers: "I have more study and writing in program. What about you?"


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
Nidhi waves to the guards at the gate and smiles. "How goes it? Have you had many visitors through the gates today?" Nidhi nods in farewell and waves again, "may Pharasma's blessing be with you!"

"Yes ma'am, no visitors are permitted in the Necropolis, but other teams are still working their ground right up to the end I think." the guard makes the spiral gesture, "Blessings be upon you as well."

Nidhi Aashirya wrote:

Nidhi helps careful unpack the various texts into the crowded space. "Abdur," Nidhi addresses their sponsor, "Perhaps you should take a look at these. Maybe you recognize a few titles?"

Nidhi causally looks over a few of the books, assuming more time will be spent examining them tomorrow.

Abdur is indeed quite interested in the texts - scrolls, manuscripts, books wrapped in bamboo and the more typical papyrus. He pours over the material and suggests there may be excellent value here in some of the better preserved pieces.

Nidhi examines the texts as well, and it's clear to her that the library was, in its time, very well stocked indeed. It's hard to put a price on antiquities, but the books you found may very well be the largest value items of the entire dig!

- - -

The group spends another peaceful evening at the Tooth and Hookah, the heat of the day, and the effort of the day’s excursions melting away in the refreshments and company. Morning rises once again, but this day, is the day of the auction!

You eagerly await this evenings event. It’s being held at the Canny Jackal (area ‘A’ on the map), host to many of Wati’s richest collectors and historians, from local nobles to representatives from An, Tephu, and even Sothis. Auctions traditionally begin an hour after sunset, with a complimentary reception beforehand for the attendees to mingle with one another and enjoy refreshments.This evening, according to Abdur, the Jackal is offering cheese-stuffed figs, hard-boiled peacock eggs, onion bread, onion-stuffed squid, fresh and dried fruit, spiced wine, and a sampling of some 2,000 year old honey recovered from one of the tombs.

”I’ll be there at four o’clock when the doors open so I may examine the other items up for auction. It is said some of the magic shops have put up goods for sale as well to try and raise prices, but I suspect it’ll have the opposite effect for their goods. Still, they’re likely to find buyers there they won’t find anywhere else. There will be a lot of money changing hands tonight!” he thinks with some pleasure. He is looking forward to plying his craft tonight.

Auction buying and selling:
So there’s a complex formula that I’m supposed to apply to each and every item up for auction. It involves Diplomacy, Intimidate, Appraise, and other rolls. I’m not doing it the rolls for each item. We’ll role play the auction, and I have a sense of where you should be based on what you’ve done to preserve your wealth for the auction. You’ll end ahead of WBL a fair bit I suspect - I’ll be working on the treasure sheet today.

The reason I’m doing the selling off-camera and early, is so you can buy things at the auction and from the merchants who will be there doing side deals in the wings. This is your opportunity to buy the items you’ve been saving up for. Don’t squander it - prices and availability will not be this good for a while… so make your lists!
- - -

Let me know what you plan to do with your morning and when you plan to arrive at the auction.


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal wakes up early on the day of the auction, unable to sleep once the sky starts to brighten. She's never been that exited ever in her life! She paces up and down until she settles to go through her morning exercises, which calms her down a fair bit, then eats some eggs, curd, and honey with her daughter.

Afterwards, she goes to Abdur and will hang around their finds, to make sure nothing happens to it. She accompanies Abdur almost the whole time, until he tires and sends her away shortly before the auction to get ready.

She doesn't. She hangs around the place regardless, at worse getting a drink at a nearby tavern with a table outside so that she can keep an eye on things. She doesn't change for the auction. When the time comes, she's so hungry that she wolves down most of the 2000-year old honey along with the onion bread.

I'm a bit uncertain on how best to proceed. Since Cahal's dream is to buy a place for her family in a nicer area, she would likely prefer gems or other useful liquidities, instead of adventuring equipment, no? How would you suggest we could maneuver her towards equipment?


Zilchus makes an extra effort to look good for the auction, polishing his armor, and even combing his hair so that he doesn't look too shabby when accompanying Abdur around the auction. He figures this is a good time to learn more about Abdur's business and invest in the auction as he does.

He intends to be at the auction at 4pm with Abdur.

* * *

Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
"So how did everyone sleep last night?"

"I'm surprisingly nervous about tonight," Zilchus admits to Nidhi over breakfast. "I don't know why. But I have more money riding on tonight than I've ever had before. What if no one buys our stuff? Or what if the auction is attacked? Or if there is a fire?" Zilchus seems worried because he's never had that much to care about before...and now he has something that might be taken away.

"Not only that I'm nervous, but I also get to think about things I'll want to buy for my future. I dunno, maybe a new falchion? Some armor that might protect me better? I figure that I'll be fighting while I'm young, I'll tell you that. I can't see that changing for a while." Zilchus seems less concerned about dying in a future fight against giant sand scorpions than he does about losing his auction investment to fire or locusts.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Abdur agrees to hold the Scorched Hand goods for a while out of respect for the dead, and when he does resell the items, he'll do so carefully, a little here, a little there, never as a group piece. "You can count on me, no one will know where they came from. It will be fine." he says with confidence.

Before the Auction begins, Abdur sets aside all the items and does a tally. "If things go your way, I predict you'll all be very wealthy by the end of tonight. I know what new wealth can do to a person, and I would caution you. Do not revel in your wealth. Spend it. Trade it. Do not leave it locked up in gold and precious jewels. That does not appreciate."

"Get what you need for your chosen path. Look to the future. Most importantly know that the people there tonight, the people selling, are going to be desperate for that cash you carry. Our economy has been rough this last while, and many people are hoping to make up for lost ground."

"For some it is their last chance before going under. So they will deal. You'll be able, with your fame and with your wealth, to obtain items you had thought would be beyond your reach. Well reach out now - and grab them!"

He speaks fervently, like a man who enjoys his craft - and his craft is deal making. You see that the possessions and money mean nothing to Abdur. Win or lose, he loves the fight. The challenge to find an agreement with the other person. To make that connection.

Party Divvy!! Everyone please pocket 4,390gp in wealth. You'll be able to buy things normally unavailable in town, and at face value rather than the unseemly markups that have been the norm. Let me know via chat or discussion thread if you have questions.


Zilchus follows Abdur around the auction, helping and aiding and learning. As the pouches of gold continue to grow, Zilchus begins to think that he might have an idea.

"Adbur? Might it be that you will help me find a new falchion? I need one that won't break when I bash it against statues and can cut through wooden warriors with ease," Zilchus asks Abdur while examining some of the finds from the other groups in the delve. "Will you help get me a falchion worthy of a supporter of the Ruby Prince? Something very nice?"

Seeking an adamantine falchion to start, about 3075 gp.


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal listens to the man and finds wisdom in his words. Plus, should she secure magic items, she might be able to sell them back for more in a few months, once Wati's economy fares better.

She approaches the merchant, bringing Nidhi with her, and gets them to help her find an appropriate seller to improve her armour.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:

Zilchus follows Abdur around the auction, helping and aiding and learning. As the pouches of gold continue to grow, Zilchus begins to think that he might have an idea.

"Adbur? Might it be that you will help me find a new falchion? I need one that won't break when I bash it against statues and can cut through wooden warriors with ease," Zilchus asks Abdur while examining some of the finds from the other groups in the delve. "Will you help get me a falchion worthy of a supporter of the Ruby Prince? Something very nice?"

Abdur gestures to a man selling all manner of weaponry at the gates to the auction house very nearly right on the steps. There is a small hoard of merchants just outside, feeding on the frenzy. In fact there's a vendor with hot small goat-meat pies, ready to eat, which attracts Cahal.

But Adbur suggests, 'Wouldn't you rather have a mithral blade? I know they're not necessarily as good, but oh how they sparkle in the sun! You must look good whilst fighting good man, never forget that. It can be as important as the fight itself!"

Cahal sees a suit of armor, very nearly exactly what she's looking for, hanging on the wall of the auction house. The base price is quite a bit below market, and there's an eager middle-aged man with tufts of hair sticking well out of his ears making him look somewhat rabbitish.

"M'lady, you look like the sort who would take great advantage of this piece. It's scheduled very nearly first, and if you let me have that suit you wear, I can have it fitted for you before the last gavel comes down!" he cries eagerly, hoping to up the bidding by the warrior.

In the end you get it for the price you expected, but the fitting is perfect - well worth the extra fitting fees which you luckily didn't have to pay.


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal makes the exchange and smiles, feeling like a million gold pieces. At last, her future was secure, more so because her wealth she was wearing. They would have to kill her to deny her family their future!


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
"I'm surprisingly nervous about tonight," Zilchus admits to Nidhi over breakfast. "I don't know why. But I have more money riding on tonight than I've ever had before. What if no one buys our stuff? Or what if the auction is attacked? Or if there is a fire?"

Nidhi is at first surprised at Zilchus’ honesty, but then surprised by his words. We’ve fought giant centipedes, undead creatures, been cursed, and THIS is what sets Zilchus on edge? The money aspect sounds reasonable, but they were in the heart of Wati – what could possibly go wrong? Nidhi had even invited her grandmother to attend the auction! Is it okay if Jharna attends the auction? Just to see all the fantastical, cool stuff that was pulled from the Necropolis.

Nidhi pockets 4,390gp. + 285gp = 4,675gp total to spend

Cahal ud'Din wrote:

Cahal listens to the man and finds wisdom in his words. Plus, should she secure magic items, she might be able to sell them back for more in a few months, once Wati's economy fares better.

She approaches the merchant, bringing Nidhi with her, and gets them to help her find an appropriate seller to improve her armour.

Nidhi eagerly goes with Cahal so that they may do their shopping together. It’s almost like we’re out together on a normal market day! Cahal acts so confident when speaking to sellers that Nidhi almost forgets to ask about bows.

"Adbur, I'm interested in bows. Do you know much about the weapon or who I should talk to? I'm wondering if it would be more cost-effective to upgrade the Masterwork Longbow we found or if I should buy a different bow altogether. You know, something with more damage or accuracy." Nidhi blinks. "Or perhaps I should just invest in some unique arrows for now? I plan on purchasing a quiver of regular arrows (20) to replace the ones I shot in the Necropolis."

Is there a guide for bows? Or are they pretty generic? I think you mostly do upgrades on the weapon, right? Or is the damage in getting special arrows?


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

Benedictus reaches the auctions with pretty clear ideas on what to buy, but also with the intention to wait and see the different offers before actually spending his hard-earned money.

So, here you are Ben. Trying to find a good way to spend your money on more adventuring gear. Because your career as an adventurer is not over yet. There's so much to learn, so much to unearth, so many puzzles to solve. Such a shame you won't be doing it with your friends...But perhaps you can build an adventuring party with them? You could propose the idea, who knows...

With these thoughts in mind, Benedictus wanders in search of what he needs.
__________________________
Benedictus wants to buy the following items with his gold: wrist sheates and a headband of vast intelligence, for a total of 4,001 gp. That leaves me with 389 gp from the party divvy. In terms of RP, I can see Ben spending a lot of time in choosing his headband, looking not only at its abilities, but also to its design. It is possible that Ben could buy more items with the remaining gold, but I've not decided about that yet.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nidhi Aashirya wrote:
Is there a guide for bows? Or are they pretty generic? I

Mostly sure you want a masterwork Darkwood Composite Longbow (+1 strength) for a cost of 530gp, provided you can use a longbow. As an additional expense and if you plan on doing a bunch of archery (and it wouldn't be bad to go that direction), you can enchant it to +1 for an additional 2000gp.

I think Zilchus is buying the new falchion and the mw armor. Selling the old stuff.

Zilchus finds himself enjoying the auction more and more...especially after he is able to buy himself a few new things.

"Ah, Ben, that headband will do. What's wrong with the one you just had on? Aren't they all the same?" Zilchus asks, wondering why Ben is so concerned with finding the exact one he wants.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

When Nidhi brings Jharma to the auction, she is, unfortunately, turned away at the door. The guard is apologetic, but no one without an invitation is permitted inside. The room is quite full by the time the auction process begins and the barker already has to shout to be heard at the back, so on some level anyway, you understand.

Abdur is very helpful talking you through the larger points while Zilchus points out the darker wood. He does not himself have any particular affinity for bows, but he does know the basics and is happy to share. You find a bowyer, who managed to bring in a variety of options, and a plethora of arrows, for you to chose from. One bow in particular, a glistening black-wood beauty, catches your eye, though it is different from the one being shown to you.

There is a merchant with just the headband Benedictus is seeking, miraculously enough, all the way down to the preferred skill. And it's a beautiful piece, well crafted, with care and attention to every detail - or so the merchant claims. It's actually gotten to the auction block, and the bidding is fierce, but folks start dropping away as the price climbed toward 4,000gp.

In the end, Benedictus wins it from a half-elf named Basif Iosep, who comes over to congratulate Benedictus on his success. "I knew I should have pushed to 4,500gp at least, but I'm saving my money for a large block of texts from a crypt later in the auction. The collection is most impressive, and I hope to gather it all as a piece if I can afford it.!"

Zilchus out-bids a Khammayid Okhenti for his falchion, and the young noble doesn't take it in stride, claiming his bids were not noticed by the barker and that the winner, Zilchus, did so unfairly. His bluster doesn't last long, and he's largely ignored, but he is seething a bit and keeps glancing in Zilchus' direction


HP: 75/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 4/6, L3: 0/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Death Ward, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

At the auction Florence turns this way and that, having never had or seen so much wealth in all her life - nor things to spend it on! She frowns, stealing a glance at her companions who each seem to know just what they're looking for.

Oh, there's so many things here that seem like they'd be handy to have! What should I angle for?

And so Florence looks at pretty rings, crafted wands and rods, fine weaponry and shining armor. Of course she didn't really have any need for any new weapons or armor but hey, nothing wrong with looking - right? Besides, it was actually sort of fun.

Finally, after making the rounds a few times, she settles on a handful of items - a crafted bag, an enchanted pearl similar to the one they'd found earlier, a set of odd-looking cloth sleeves, and a useful multi-tool...
______

Florence is looking for a Handy Haversack (2,000 gp), a Pearl of Power - 1st Level (1,000 gp), Sleeves of Many Garments (100 gp), and a Traveler's Any-Tool (250gp).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal, now quite pleased with herself and feeling safer, follows Florence around, being uninterested by bows. She tries to help: "Why are you trying to buy so many things? Just buy one big thing, like me! A sword maybe? Or a nice belt that makes you strong as an ox? Why do you look at clothes? You look fine enough, no?"

Hat of disguise with sleeves of many garments make a nice combo.


HP: 75/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 4/6, L3: 0/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Death Ward, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Well...there's nothing wrong with saving for one big thing if it's something you really need or want," Florence replies, a bit surprised to suddenly find Cahal peering over her shoulder. "I did that one time with a dress that I really wanted. When um, when you work with herbs and chemicals and things your clothes sometimes come out worse for it...but anyway. I had to miss out on a lot of little treats that my allowance would've let me buy but it was okay because the dress was worth saving for, at least to me," she continues, smiling at the memory.

"But here...well, I thought a few smaller things might work out better in the long run than one big thing. Like the bag, see? There's so much more space inside than what you'd think - some sort of enchantment, apparently. Oh! And it also seems to know just what you're reaching for when you reach into it, so it's always right there on top of the pile," Florence explains. "And the pearl, well...I was happy to let Zilchus keep the one we found but the more I thought on it later, the more it sounded like it would be a good idea to have one for myself - being able to use just a little more of my magic each day can't be a bad thing, right?"

Looking over at the odd sleeves and the multi-tool, she shrugs. "As for those two...the sleeves are supposed to let me make my clothes into whatever I want them to be and the multi-tool...well, I figure a person can't just use magic for every little thing. At some point I might be better off having a sturdy hammer or something to try and pick a lock with."


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal shrugs: "Looks like you know what you want..."

It's not clear whether this is said positively or negatively. The ambiguity just hangs in the air.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi listens politely to the bowyer’s sales pitch before pointing to a dark wooded bow. ”Might I see that one? Is it for sale?” Nidhi seems keen on the idea of a Darkwood Composite Longbow.

Nidhi picks up two bundles (20?) of cold iron arrows.

d20pfsrd info:

Masterwork Weapons:
A masterwork weapon is a finely crafted version of a normal weapon. Wielding it provides a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls. You can’t add the masterwork quality to a weapon after it is created; it must be crafted as a masterwork weapon (see the Craft skill). The masterwork quality adds 300 gp to the cost of a normal weapon (or 6 gp to the cost of a single unit of ammunition).

Darkwood:
Any wooden or mostly wooden item (such as a bow or spear) made from darkwood is considered a masterwork item and weighs only half as much as a normal wooden item of that type. Items not normally made of wood or only partially of wood (such as a battleaxe or a mace) either cannot be made from darkwood or do not gain any special benefit from being made of darkwood.
HP/inch 10; Hardness 5; Cost To determine the price of a darkwood item, use the original weight but add 10 gp per pound to the price of a masterwork version of that item.

Longbow, Composite:
You need at least two hands to use a bow, regardless of its size. You can use a composite longbow while mounted. All composite bows are made with a particular Strength rating (that is, each requires a minimum Strength modifier to use with proficiency). If your Strength bonus is less than the strength rating of the composite bow, you can’t effectively use it, so you take a –2 penalty on attacks with it. The default composite longbow requires a Strength modifier of +0 or higher to use with proficiency. A composite longbow can be made with a high strength rating to take advantage of an above-average Strength score; this feature allows you to add your Strength bonus to damage, up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow. Each point of Strength bonus granted by the bow adds 100 gp to its cost.

Nidhi has a hard time hiding her disappointment when Jharna is turned away from the auction. The two women exchange quick hugs and Jharna heads home to the shop.

After Nidhi makes her purchases, she goes to join/sits with Cahal.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Florence spends some time shopping, both from vendors and at auction. As she wins the pearl at auction, she attracts the attention of Maru and Namaru Meshhoten, a grandmother/granddaughter team seeking out ancient jewelry for their collection. They chat amiably, but the older woman has a saucy streak as she keeps discussing the firmness of various men's backsides as they go by. Her daughter admits they are also looking for art and text that might be considered, in modern times, scandalous...

Nidhi sees the Darkwood bow and comments on it, and the old bowyer smiles. His weathered hands run up and down the smooth dark wood, "I see you know your bows. That's a fine example of the craft. I wish I could say I made it myself, but that's an import all the way from Kyonin itself, mark my words!" he exclaims.

- - -

And so the auction goes well into the night. There are more grave goods than expected, in large part due to the many things the party brought - especially the library. It does not go all to one person, there are just too many books, but is broken up into lots and the bidding is fierce. In the end, the library brings in as much as the rest it seems though it's hard to tell until the dust settles.

At one point, Zilchus overhears the Daughters of the Desert talking, "I haven’t seen any of those fellows in the fancy gold masks tonight. My brother says he’s seen them running around the necropolis at all hours, but I suppose they’re not selling. A pity - they sounded delightfully exotic!"

And Cahal watches some of the wealthy converse, "Rather nice to see the Pharasmins on board with this auction. At least we’ll know these relics are real. You can’t trust the veracity of just anything up for sale, no matter how old it looks. A group calling themselves the Silver Chain took me for a fortune on a ‘Second Age’ chest last year. It looked ancient enough, but it turned out the damned thing had only survived a house fire in An.”


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

"This is one is better, Zilchus. It will empower my rational abilities...You'll see!" With a blink, Benedictus reaches the auction for the headband after a long research and eventually wins the bid war. When half-elf approaches him, the scholar shows his colleague some friendly sympathy. "A huge collection of books, you say? Well my friend, you shouldn't have told me! Now you will have to win that from me!" Ben laughs, remarking that his words are not to be taken seriously. "Well, in truth I think I know those books pretty well, and my word, they're worth all the gold one can possibly spend on them. Benedictus West Dickens. Osirionologist", introduces himself Ben while extending his hand toward the half-elf. "It's a pleasure to meet someone else so interested in books and knowledge."


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal is enjoying herself tremendously, until she hears of the Silver Chain. The others had mentioned the group to her.

It reminded her of that the person who stole from their site is still around, perhaps even here!?

To the wealthy she is listening to, she asks: "I heard of those Silver Chain. How did you find them and hire them? Do you still know where?"


HP: 75/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 4/6, L3: 0/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Death Ward, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Heh...not nearly as much as it looked like you and the others did," Florence replies to Cahal with a small chuckle. "It took me ages just wandering around in here and asking about this and that to narrow things down!"
______

"Scandalous?" Florence responds to the younger Meshhoten, looking a little bemused as she tucks the simple pearl away for the time being. "Uh...any special reason why?"


"Golden Masks? Who said something about Golden Masks?" Zilchus' ear raises as he's already been on the look out for masks.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 Know (Local) - Golden Mask group

Zilchus scratches his ear, then his ass (now that he can reach it more easily in his new agile breastplate) as he thinks what he knows locally of the Golden Masks.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Prof. Benedictus Dickens wrote:
"A huge collection of books, you say? Well my friend, you shouldn't have told me! Now you will have to win that from me!" Ben laughs, remarking that his words are not to be taken seriously. "Well, in truth I think I know those books pretty well, and my word, they're worth all the gold one can possibly spend on them. Benedictus West Dickens. Osirionologist", introduces himself Ben while extending his hand toward the half-elf. "It's a pleasure to meet someone else so interested in books and knowledge."

Basif laughs, and engages you in a somewhat spirited conversation about books. He's quite the live wire - very energetic. Seems what he's really looking for, or at least what started his obsession, was research on his own families past, but it snowballed into collecting genealogy on all manner of families, through their texts. The documents you have on auction are extraordinarily valuable to him, and he ends up being the driving force sending up the price on the books.

He's the reason you have over 4kgp at all.

Cahal ud'Din wrote:
To the wealthy she is listening to, she asks: "I heard of those Silver Chain. How did you find them and hire them? Do you still know where?"

The rail-thin man thrusts out his hand to Cahal, and shakes it with a firmness not usually found. "I'm Menya, they call me the Whip." he introduces himself. He speaks of the Silver Chain, what little he knows, with pride and shame in equal measures. Shame because they took advantage of him, but pride in that it's his story... and he tells it well.

He was, admittedly, on the shadier side of town, seeking relics. He suspected they might be illicit grave goods, "...but after all, someone is going to buy them. Why not me?" Instead of getting legitimate grave goods however, he got strumps, useless pieces.

"Serves me right for trying to go behind the legal wall." he nods in the vague direction of the Necropolis.

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Scandalous?" Florence responds to the younger Meshhoten, looking a little bemused as she tucks the simple pearl away for the time being. "Uh...any special reason why?"

"Oh, don't listen to her." says the granddaughter, "She never lost her libido when she got old. If anything it's worse than ever!" she exclaims, clearly exasperated, but loving.

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:

"Golden Masks? Who said something about Golden Masks?" Zilchus' ear raises as he's already been on the look out for masks.

Zilchus scratches his ear, then his ass (now that he can reach it more easily in his new agile breastplate) as he thinks what he knows locally of the Golden Masks.

Word on the streets is that there's a new gang, possibly even operating out of the Necropolis. It's assumed they're dealing in illegal grave goods or 'mumia', a drug concocted from the remains of long preserved mummys... It is said mumia can protect you from mummy rot, but that's unconfirmed.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

So is the auction currently going on right now? Is it like a banquet where people are free to walk around, pick at the refreshment table, and chat?

Nidhi takes a walk around the room with her new purchases. She eyes anyone who looks like they are carrying muscle. Who's to stop a thief if one thinks to run off with the auction merchandise? Nidhi does her best to listen in to other peoples' conversations if they seem to pertain to the Silver Chain or her and her companions' auction items.

After a turn or two, Nidhi stops by the food buffet for a dinner of appetizers. Nidhi tries a little of everything but finds the stuffed figs especially delicious. The ancient honey is a curiosity, and Nidhi attempts to get seconds on that as well. "How much does 2,000 year old honey cost?" Nidhi asks near the table, genuinely curious.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Yes we're in the late stages of the auction.

The waiter, with a tray of honeyed treats suggests, "I'm told it has immense value, possibly incalculable. It was donated by one of the teams, the Dog Soldiers. Sadly, only one of their members survived, and so it is in their honor we offer these delectable treats."

He bends down and offers everyone 'a' piece. Out of respect.

Around about midnight, as the auction, now a party as much as anything, begins to show signs of winding down. Ptemenib left an hour or so ago, hot on the trail of something or other with his intense look, but there doesn’t seem to be any risk of thievery now. A few of the early losers left but the books were auctioned last so you’re still around along with a number of aristocrats but few other teams have stuck around, preferring to drink some of their winnings in comfort.

Suddenly there is a large banging on the doors to the Canny Jackal. The party is near the doors and just as a servant moves to open them, Benedictus’ sixth sense starts nagging him.

Before he can react, the doors burst asunder (link) and the servant is pinned under one of the doors - unconscious but not dead, bleeding out. However, the zombies pouring into the building may otherwise occupy you…

The screaming begins as the crowd panics. Every square is considered difficult terrain as you try to move past people both trying to rush out the doors and flee from them.

-Round Surprise-
Benedictus - 27
- Round 1-
Benedictus - 27
Cahal - 14
Nidhi - 12
Florence - 9+
Good Folks - 9-
Zilchus - 4

Initiative Rolls:

Benedictus 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27 (acts in surprise round)
Cahal 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Florence 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Nidhi 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Zilchus 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Good Folk 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9

Next up - Everyone except Zilchus. Further, Benedictus has a surprise round action as the doors are destroyed in addition to his first round action. Note the two side doors of the main entrance are shut. Only the main door has been destroyed.


HP: 75/117 l AC: 12 (16 w/Mage Armor), T 12, FF 10 (14 w/Mage Armor) l CMD 21 l F +14, R +11, W +14 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 3/6, L2: 4/6, L3: 0/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 3/3, L8: 2/2 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +25, Kn. Local/Nature/Planes +22, Kn. Religion +13, Spellcraft +25, Swim +7, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Death Ward, Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Round 1, Init 9

Florence's eyes open wide as the door splinters and she sees the horde of undead trying to pile inside. "Oh s***!" she exclaims as she scrambles to her feet and draws her longspear. "Where'd these guys come from!?"

With the others having leapt into action, she does the only thing she can think of to do and uses her magic to bless the party - and anyone else choosing to try and fight - for the battle to come.
______

Move action to stand and draw her weapon (if possible) and then a standard to cast Bless.


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

Cahal's eyes narrow. "Living dead!" she shouts, sliding forward on instinct and unslinging her longspear, ready to bring down anyone foolish enough to cross the threshold.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Zilchus seems frozen, unable to react quickly as the zombies rush in.

That's strange, I thought tomorrow night was Zombie Night.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi leans back in her chair and takes a savory bite from another stuffed fig. This is exactly how I want to end every evening. Food, friends, a room full of curiosities… Nidhi thinks of her grandmother and how excited she is to be leaving the Canny Jackal soon to return home. Maybe she’d sneak a couple stuffed figs into her cloak for the road. ”I know our adventure together is over, but perhaps we should meet up again for lunch. Exchange information. You know, to stay in touch.” Nidhi smiles, feeling relaxed and pleasantly full from all the appetizers (which she’d decided to lurk near for the majority of the auction.)

Round 1, Initiative 12:

Nidhi’s mouth gapes open and she drops the stuffed fig she’d been holding. ”I- I- what? The “what” comes out in a whisper, barely audible during the chaos. Nidhi’s brows knit together and she looks around the room in shock and concern.

Nidhi feels as if a bucket of ice water has been dumped over her head. She stares wordlessly at the doors as the undead come pouring inside. Why are they here? Nidhi stands up from where she’d been sitting, her legs shaky.

Once on her feet, her head begins to clear: Ugh, I shouldn’t have eaten so much. Nidhi prepares her new longbow.


NG male human (Garundi) diviner 10 | HP: 62/62 | AC: 14 [17] (13 Tch, 11 [14] FF) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +5, R: +7, W: +10 | Init: +16 | Perc: +14 (+16), SM: +1 (+3) | Speed 30 ft | Special abilities: prescience 10/10 | foretell 10/10 | Active Conditions:

⁞⁞⁞⁞ SURPRISE ROUND ⁞⁞⁞⁞

‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖ • Initiative: 27 • ‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖

As soon as he senses that something is about to happen, Benedictus casts a protective spell on himself, causing an arcane armor to appear around him. Then, he tries to warn the servant. “You! Get away from there! Qui…” Before the scholar can even end his phrase, the undead kicks in the door. For Nethys, this is crazy…Now everyone here is going to think I knew about the attack…

⁞⁞⁞⁞ ROUND 1 ⁞⁞⁞⁞

‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖ • Initiative: 27 • ‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖

I’ll worry about that later!

Ben has now get used to its gift. And has learned how to use it. Or at least, better than before. Now protected by a mage armor, the scholar focuses on the situation in front of his eyes. Trying to muster his courage, Ben decides to act block the threat first. He moves into a good position and casts a new spell, causing a many-layered mass of strong, sticky strands similar to spider’s webs to appear and block (hopefully) the undead.
_________________________
Ben casts mage armor and then web (DC 18).

Knowledge (religion) check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22 (DR, weaknesses, special abilities)

Status:
hp – 20/20
Conditionsmage armor (+4 AC, 4 hours)
Wizard spells prepared (CL 4th, concentration +10)
[smaller]2st (2+2+1/day)― glitterdust (DC 18), invisibility, locate object, scorching ray, web (DC 18)

1st (3+2+1/day)― burning hands (DC 17), color spray (DC 17), grease (DC 17), ear-piercing scream (DC 17), mage armor, true strike
Cantrips (at will)― dancing lights, detect magic, mage hand, prestidigitation


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

If I get AoOs:

Longspear: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 181d8 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Longspear: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 271d8 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Longspear: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 241d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

I should have been more clear - no need to stand from where you were as a move action. So Florence and Nidhi may both move closer to the doors if they wish. Remember everything is still difficult terrain.

The zombies did not expect webs (well, they didn’t expect to be moving either so much so there’s that). They struggle against their bonds and try to move into the chamber where there are rich pickings.

Yellow Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 vs DC 18
Red Reflex: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Green Reflex: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
Blue Reflex: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20
Pink Reflex: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
Purple Reflex: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Orange Reflex: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (20) + 0 = 20

Most of the undead suffer in the webbing, and try to claw their way out. A few succeed, and press on… More to come!


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 10

Benedictus prepares himself with armor, and then tries to anchor the living dead, though he must move into position first. Cahal draws her long spear and moves into position, readying some AoOs just in case (thanks!). Florence draws her weapon and Blesses the party. Nidhi reacts with disbelief, but manage to gather her wits, and her bow, and get ready for action.

Their apparent leader, a long nailed, sharp toothed specimen steps up to Cahal (5’ step) and attacks!
Yellow on Cahal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Yellow on Cahal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Meanwhile the others plod ahead, pushing their way into the room mechanically, but with a purpose. Hunger for the living…
Orange moves up to Cahal. (also hit for 8hp damage (DR reduced) by Cahal)

Blue moves through the web CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 vs DC 18 but gets stuck.

The remaining zombies try to claw their way out of their web prison…
Pink CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 vs DC 18
Purple CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 vs DC 18 (also 5' steps to the door)
Red CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 vs DC 18

-Round 1-
Zilchus - 4
Servant - 4 (bleeding -?hp)
- Round 2-
Benedictus - 27
Cahal - 14 (-10hp)
Nidhi - 12
Florence - 9+
Good Folks - 9-
Orange - 9- (-8hp)

Next up - everyone! Note that only the main door is open, the two side doors are, as of now, closed.


Round 1, Init 4

Zilchus doesn't act quickly, stuffing the last bit of bacon crouton into this mouth and wiping his hands on his new breastplate before drawing his sword and moving into melee. At orange.

"Cahal, try to save some for me."

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 to hit;
2d4 + 7 ⇒ (3, 3) + 7 = 13 slashing damage.

Stats of Zilch:

[ dice]1d20+8[/dice] to hit;
[ dice]2d4+7[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 34/34
AC: 19 (7 armor, 2 dex)

DF: 0/10
Weap: 0/4
Grunting: 0/5 used
Quick Prayer: 0/5 used
PoP1: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later


HP 59/66 | AC 18 Tch 13 FF 15 | CMD 24 | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | MF 2/6 used | KO 1/1 used | Buffs:

I goofed on my positioning. I guess I didn't see the leader zombie was five feet away.

Cahal grunts from the pain and retaliates with an elbow followed by her knee.

Flurry PA: 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 11 - 2 - 2 = 81d8 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 4 = 18

Flurry PA: 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 11 - 2 - 2 = 91d8 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 4 = 12

However, she misjudges the distance badly and hits nothing but thin air with her strikes.

She shuffles back to bring her spear to bear: "Ben, step back! You're exposed!" she warns.

AoOs if needed:

Longspear, PA: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 - 2 = 201d8 + 7 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 6 = 18
Longspear, PA: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 - 2 = 201d8 + 7 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 6 = 14
Longspear, PA: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 9 - 2 = 131d8 + 7 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 6 = 20


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Cahal, remember that you can't 5' step just now - everything is still difficult terrain for the time being as the crowd thins and flees - though with the webbing blocking the entrance, most are fleeing to the stage and the back rooms.

2,101 to 2,150 of 8,813 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Euan's Mummy's Mask All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.