DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP

Game Master Franz Lunzer


51 to 100 of 2,500 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Michael gives a parting smile to Svetlana and moves over to the table, he bows his head before the food and begins a prayer, "Creator God, for daily bread and all who work to bring your harvest home we bring our thanks today."

He ensures that Hobson is seated and then rather than eat moves over to below Oleg, "Master Oleg, it is a cold day to be fixing shingles alone on a roof, when good food and company awaits you below, may I beseech you to put your work aside for a while and break your fast, once our stomachs are full, I can lend my back to this toil and together we can get the work done in double the time?" He grins up at Oleg, a little confused as to why the man seems so put out by our arrival that he will hide on a roof.


Gamemaster

Just to get a bit more visual, here are portraits of how Svetlana and Oleg might look: Svetlana and Oleg.
Also I found this amazing 3D look of Oleg’s Trading Post!

Seeing the gnome woman among the male explorers, Svetlana is a bit surprised, then goes over to give her a quick hug.

While Oleg grumbles some more at Agerrons and Queslins greetings, Svetlana speaks: “We are just so glad to have you here, that you are helping us with our bandit-problems. And you came just to the right time. ... But sit down and eat, I’m ... We are going to tell you more of that once you had time to rest a bit from the long way you had.”

Michaels approach to help Oleg is met by a short look with a surprised face. Oleg then fixes the shingle he just placed on the roof with a few more hammer-strokes. He looks at his work, then nods, climbing down his ladder.
”Thanks, but I just got finished. I had to fix the roof as last nights hail broke it. And I expect some weeks of snow still.” he replies, still a bit grumpy.
After he is down to the ground, you all can get a better look at the man. He is sweaty from his work, and looks close to fourty years old.


First thoughts, Sevtlana is hot and that 3d drawing is awsome!

Michael smiles at Oleg, "It is a pleasure to meet you Master Oleg, I am glad you can join us" he nods his head in deference to the older man before heading to help Kay finish. Only returning to eat, if there is any left at that point.


After a meal of truly heroic proportions, Big Ern belches and loosens his belt, wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his leather jerkin.

Big Ern relaxes for a few moments, then addresses Svetlana. "That was some fine chow, sweetie. Now where's the s*~!-house? I've gotta take a dump something fierce."


After a good meal provided by Svetlana and Oleg, Devlin asks, "So people, what do we know about the area before we explore? Svetlana, Oleg, is there anything you can tell us about the area? Any specific areas we should be extra careful in?" Devlin sits quietly, watching and listening.

How often should I roll Perceptions for Delfey while it's walking the walls keeping an eye out? Also, do you require Eidolon's to sleep?


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

When Queslin returns from taking care of the animals he says, "Thank you for your hospitality. I'd like to hear about these bandits please. If we're to fulfill our charter, we must make this area safe for people. Especially good hearted, hard working folk like yourselves." He checks his bow as he speak.


Male Human Rogue 1st

After finishing his meal he raises his brow at his etiquette impaired companion, shaking his head ever so slightly as he turns his attention to Oleg and more so, Svetlana. His curiousity begs the question as to why this charming lady was with such a grumpy old broken man. His eyes search for any actual sign of their relationship."Do tell us Svetlana, how it is that one such as yourself and your... Father Oleg? He stops for a moment here, but resumes before they have a chance to respond" Came to be the last bastion of hope amongst these wild lands?"

Perception looking for a ring. 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Sense motive trying to gauge their reaction to guessing Oleg was the father. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


F Gnome Alchamist 2
DM Sothal wrote:


Seeing the gnome woman among the male explorers, Svetlana is a bit surprised, then goes over to give her a quick hug.

"Oh uh your Welcome." Majet responds mildly suprised at the friendly welcome. Once she is sure her riding dog is secure she heads into the hall to join the others for dinner.

Big Ern wrote:

After a meal of truly heroic proportions, Big Ern belches and loosens his belt, wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his leather jerkin.

Big Ern relaxes for a few moments, then addresses Svetlana. "That was some fine chow, sweetie. Now where's the s*&#-house? I've gotta take a dump something fierce."

Majet Stops eating and face palms in embaresment at her 'Mentors' Social skills.


Gamemaster

Matius:

Spoiler:
You make out no ring on her fingers, but you notice a small band of skin fairer than the surrounding area. Looks like there was a ring on her finger and she (had to?) remove that recently.

Devlin: I'm going to roll for you if there is something out there Delfey might notice.
I'm going with the ruling that Eidolons are much like outsiders, so they don't need to sleep.

The big man Oleg nods approving to Michael, as the paladin turns to help his squire.
Hearing Big Ern's words, he silently and with a harsh face points to the middens with his hammer, his knuckles turning white. Svetlana goes over to Oleg, laying a hand softly on his shoulder, not replying to Big Ern.

To Devlin and Queslins questions, Oleg replies: "The farther you get south, the more likely you will meet bandits. They are a real plague here, stole me as much as three months worth goods. Right out of the Post here. And if they keep to their routine they are going to be here tomorow morning, coming for the furs and trades that lie over there. Bloody basterds." again Oleg spits to the ground.
Svetlana goes on, speaking: "They usually appear on the first day of a new month about an hour after sunrise, at least they did so the last three times. We would like to ask you to help us keep our goods and fight those bandits. We asked the swordlords to send us some soldiers, but as you can see, none have come yet."
"You look like a fine band of arms to handle that kind of trouble, though." Oleg adds.

At Matius inquiry Svetlana blushes again, while Oleg smirks, answering: "I'm not her father. She's my wife and a right fine one at that. Sometimes I have to wonder why she didn't left me and this nice place yet." "Oleg!" Svetlana shouts, going on really softvoiced: "Oh, I couldn't leave you. ... You'd need to get a sheep and that wouldn't survive a winter with you alone!" Clearly a joke they both start to laugh light-heartedly.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Branomonrik says a silent pray before he eats and listens to the others mostly. Upon hear of the bandits he nods"I can not speak for my companions on this But you have my help. Bandits are a blight upon civilization and a affront to all Adabar strives for. It would be my Honor to help defend your outpost and see these parasites hung.' He says with a grim nod.


"Don't wait up for me, folks!" Big Ern trots off to the appointed spot, his alchemy book in hand, and is not seen for quite some time.


"Delfey and I shall assist you in your troubles. We will not allow your goods to be taken tomorrow or any day after as long as we're here and breathing." Devlin bows and goes to check on Delfey and to see if he can find anything worth spotting from the walls.

Devlin Perception (if you want it):1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 ....okay, this can't be right....


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Agerron looks up from his meal, a huge grin on his face. "Of course, you have my blade! It has been too long since my last fight; without battle, a warrior grows soft!" On second glance, perhaps Agerron's grin could actually be seen as a bit ... menacing as well.

Despite his enthusiasm, Agerron is no fool. He gauges the two trading post owners, trying to see their sincerity. After all, two folks living on their own in the wilds ... the bandits could have overrun them long ago. And who's to say these two aren't a part of the crew?

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Male Human Rogue 1st

Matius smiles knowingly and nods. " Indeed Oleg, A right fine wife she is." He begins, his eyes falling to her ring finger where he noticed a small band of skin fairer than the surrounding area." Dirty are the brigands who remove what I'm sure was a right fine ring from such a right fair hand." He adds emphatically, his talent for orating beginning to show as the disdain rings through his voice. " My sword Arm is yours Oleg. The bandits shall collect no further payment as long as i draw breath."


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

Queslin follows Oleg's example and spits on the ground.
"They've been here three times already! No wonder you sent for aid. Tell us their routine. Everything. We have plans to make, bandits to kill, and a ring to return."
Did we just become the Fellowship of the Ring?


Big Ern wrote:
Big Ern relaxes for a few moments, then addresses Svetlana. "That was some fine chow, sweetie. Now where's the s#%#-house? I've gotta take a dump something fierce."

After Ern has gone, Michael looks at Hobson and the others with a mixture of awe and horror on his face, "Charming character that one,"

DM Sothal wrote:
To Devlin and Queslins questions, Oleg replies: "The farther you get south, the more likely you will meet bandits. They are a real plague here, stole me as much as three months worth goods. Right out of the Post here. And if they keep to their routine they are going to be here tomorow morning, coming for the furs and trades that lie over there. Bloody basterds." again Oleg spits to the ground.

Michael listens to Oleg's tale and the others replies before interjecting? "How many of them usually come and can the gate be locked once they are inside to trap them, it would be a pity for any of them to leave before we give them a proper welcome." he asks of Oleg.

He turns to the others, "How would you all feel about an ambush?" he arches one eyebrow as he looks at who is interested in making a plan. "I suggest, we let them come in as they normally do, and then spring a trap, locking the gates, or blocking them with my cart and then BAM!" he slams his fist onto the table dramatically.

He looks around, "Plenty of places to hide, in the stable, in the guest quarters, hell even under the furs, if you want to risk being that close to the middens after Ern has finished," he grins, nodding to himself as he muses ideas.


F Gnome Alchamist 2
Michael the Bastard wrote:
Big Ern wrote:
Big Ern relaxes for a few moments, then addresses Svetlana. "That was some fine chow, sweetie. Now where's the s#%#-house? I've gotta take a dump something fierce."

After Ern has gone, Michael looks at Hobson and the others with a mixture of awe and horror on his face, "Charming character that one,"

"You think thats bad you should try training under him." Majet says


Majet Greenhill wrote:
"You think thats bad you should try training under him." Majet says

Michaels jaw almost drops open, "That oaf is your mentor?" he slaps his palm against his forehead, "I am sorry, I am so sorry for you."

He glances at Hobson and Kay, wondering if they are thinking the same.


Gamemaster

I didn't give you the family name of the two tradeing posts owners as of now, did I? It's Leventon.

Oleg shakes his head as he hears the dwarf mentioning Abadar again, but Svetlana goes over to Branomonrik to thank him.

Devlin: try that again...
Hearing Devlin's promise to help as well, Oleg's demeanour seems to improve, even more so with Agerron chiming in as well.

Agerron: The two seem honest enough. You think they don't lie.

At Matius words though, Oleg's face turns pale. He slumps a bit, and Svetlana places a hand on his cheek, gently stroking it, while she replies: "You are right, they took the ring of my finger. I've lost hope to ever see it again, but that ring is not what is important to me. Would they have taken Oleg from me..." she stops midsentence, laying her head on her husbands shoulder.
Oleg in turn hugs her, declaring: "I'm no wealthy man, but if you bring back that ring... you can get anything out of the post, worth one thousand goldpieces. I can't pay you that much money, but I can promise you the store-credit. And I stand by my word."

Following Queslin's request, the two tell the group as good as they can what they know of the bandit's routine. It amounts to the following information:
-The bandits’ first visit was 3 months ago—they threatened to burn down the trading post and abduct Svetlana for their own amusements back at their camp if the Levetons didn’t agree to hand over all of the furs and trade goods they’d accumulated over the past month from hunters and trappers.
-Since then, the bandits have returned twice more, each time within an hour of sunrise on the first day of the month. The Levetons have learned to have their “taxes” ready and hand them over quickly—the bandits usually seem eager to return to their camp somewhere in the Greenbelt, which makes Svetlana think their camp is about a day’s ride away.
-The first time the bandits visited, there were close to two dozen of them — 20 lower-ranking thugs led by a cloaked man armed with a bow, and a woman who carried two small hatchets. The woman did the majority of the talking on that first trip, and her black sense of humor and the way she smiled when she spoke of what fate would await Svetlana if the Levetons didn’t comply frightened Svetlana all the more. The woman also seemed to be particularly sharp and observant, whereas the man seemed to be a bit more crude and foolish. This, plus the fact that the woman quite nearly lopped off Oleg’s right hand with one of her hatchets in a cruel bit of mockery, convinced the Levetons that she was the most dangerous of the bandits. As it was, the woman took Svetlana’s wedding ring right off her hand and tossed it to one of her men as payment for “not shortening Oleg’s reach.”
-On the second and third visit, only the crude hooded man accompanied the bandits. The second visit, he came with only 14 other men, while on the third he only came with eight. The Levetons suspect that the bandits have let down their guard and think the owners of the trading post are completely cowed. Hopefully, when they visit tomorrow they’ll be even fewer in number, and hopefully the scary woman with the hatchets won’t be with them.

Regarding Michaels other questions Oleg answers: "Sure, the gate can be closed and if someone dares to lock it behind them, be my guest."


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

"I think a simple plan would be best. Let them in like everything is going as they expect it to, then once they are all inside we jump from hiding and cut them down. Though it would probably be wise to keep at least one alive for questioning before we visit justice upon him. Oh, and Oleg, do those catapults work?"


Gamemaster

"Heh, no. Those are just relics from when this was used as a fort... They would need some serious repair and I'm not an engineer."


DM Sothal wrote:
Devlin: try that again...

Another try...1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Gamemaster

Rolling three fumbles in a row must mean something, don't it?
Anyway, Devlin:

Spoiler:
You notice the absence of running water nearby or a well inside the fort. During Winter this can be overcome pretty easily with melting snow, and spring and fall are going to be rainy enough probably, but during the short summer...?


Male Human Rogue 1st

Matius listens sympathetically as the Levontons tell the tale of the ring." If the ring is still with the bandits, I shall return it to you Svetlana, and Oleg. Furthermore, I agree that an ambush is the best course of action. We'll spring forth and pick them off one by one. If i know how these bandits think, there will likely be no more than five this time. Queslin is correct, one should be left alive for questioning. If the cloaked man with the bow is with them then we should capture him as he likely knows the most."


Big Ern saunters back to the group, stifling a yawn. "Ah...I feel much more relaxed now. So what's the plan, folks -- are we going to kick some bandit ass tomorrow?"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

I agree ambush would be the best. And some one to question is also a good ideal. Branomonrik says with a nod


Gamemaster

It's close to noon so you got the rest of the day (and all night long) to prepare the ambush.
Any special preperations you want to take? Where are you going to be?


Michael will be in the stable as his first choice. Kay can be on duty to close the gates once they are inside, hiding around the back of the Guest house until they are inside and we spring the ambush.

Hobson will be inside the guest house well out of sight.

We will also need to hide my cart, will it fit in the stable?

We should also keep the one horse saddled and ready to ride in case we have to chase any of them down.


F Gnome Alchamist 2

Majet has a look around the fort and the area immediatly outside trying to get an idea of the lay of the land.

Perception

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

Queslin intends to be in a tower. He'll try to stay hidden as well as he can while spotting the bandits so that he can warn the rest of the group in plenty of time for them to prepare the ambush.

"Oleg, how many arrows you have?"


Gamemaster

Kay is happy to be part of the plan but mentions that he won't be able to close the two parts of the gate alone.

The cart won't fit in the stable but Oleg thinks it can be hidden on the north side outside the post.

The terrain around the Post is rather open, low rolling hills are covered with snow. Nothing noteworthy falls under Majet's Eyes.

"I got a longbow and two dozen arrows in the store. If you can use that, it shall be yours."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

"I have a second suggestion. Instead of trapping the bandits inside, why don't we lie in wait a bit up the road, let them get close to the post, then have a few folks close the gate. We'll trap them in the open between us and the trading post. Queslin can pepper then with arrows while the rest of us attack. This denies them the ability to run and hide in the buildings, allows our new friends here to remain safe from their attacks, and gives them no place to retreat."


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

"Unless they're on horses or there's more of them than we expect. The horses will allow them to get out of range and the numbers will overwhelm us. Inside the walls, their horses won't matter, though the number is still a great factor. But bandits aren't known for being terribly disciplined, so the shock of our attack will probably allow us to kill most of them before they can begin to retaliate."


Male Human Rogue 1st

"I'll have to agree with Queslin here. If we ambush them on the open road it'll be harder to contain them, and almost impossible if they're mounted. The last thing we want is for them to run back and get reinforcements to burn the whole trading post down."


Gamemaster

"They come on horses, have two extra to carry the ... 'tax' as they call it." Oleg throws in. "Well, at least they did, the last times."

Oleg doesn't seem to be so gruff anymore. Looks like he didn't expect you to help him and Svetlana.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Branomorik nods 'unless we can trap the road, or block them on the horses will give them better movement and a chance to escape. Humm If we had some way to deal with the mounts however outside ambush would be doable, but more likely the bandits can scatter. I would rather crush them all with no chance to flee"


F Gnome Alchamist 2

"What if we were just to spook the horses instead?" Majet asks "I have someting that might be able to do that."


"I like the idea of trapping them in here with us. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, heh heh..."

Big Ern runs his thumb along the edge of his axe and grins wickedly.


"I couldn't agree more with the idea of getting them inside first as well as off their horses, assuming they have them this time."

Devlin looks around at his companions and asks, "I think now would be a good time to learn what each of us specializes in. I am a spellcaster, specifically I have an affinity for conjuring creatures. My friend Delfey is a special creature known generally as an Eidolon. Eidolon's are similar to familiars of other spellcasters, but an Eidolon is more capable than most familiars with regards to assisting their master. Delfey would be best used to occupy whoever is the leader of the group of bandits. Next?" Devlin looks around to see who'll speak next.


"I specialize in kicking ass and taking names, and making sweet love to the ladies afterwards. Ain't that right, Stubby?"

Ern turns to his gnomish apprentice for confirmation.

"By the way, I've taught Stubby everything I know about making bombs, so we two can probably blast those bandits to the moon before they could say 'boo' to a goose."


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

"I am trained in my people's way of combat in the forest. I am competent with a bow and blade. I am also a skilled tracker."


F Gnome Alchamist 2

"Uh what Ern said" Majet replies then making sure Ern wont hear her she adds "I'm actually better at the bomb stuff than he is as well"


Fighter Level 9

Michael listens as the plan starts to take shape, nodding when the agreement seems to come back to an ambush inside the trading post, "I am a Warrior of Erastil, I fight where he tells me and when he tells me, right now he tells me that my axe blade is needed here." He indicates his Major Domo, "Hobson here will have you believe I am a knight of Erastil, but all I know is my God guides my actions."

"If it is all the same, I would choose to face the leader of these bandits as well, although I would guess we will have to cut our way through some others before we get to him."

"Are we all agreed that we trap them inside here?" he looks around for a general agreement.

Assuming that we get an agreement.

"Who here will help Kay shut the gates?" he inquires, "and I think we should start our combat with all of us using some sort of missile, I have 3 spears, if some of you need something to throw."


Gamemaster

Oleg looks around the group of should-be-explorers and speaks up: "If you need some more weapons, we got Javelins and two Spears in stock too. And I would close the other side of the gate with your boy there, if noone else will."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

"I pay homage to all the gods of battle and spread their influence far and wide. In return, they have blessed me with abilities beyond that of a normal warrior."

Agerron has his own spear, which he hoists at the ready. "I also carry a bow, should it be needed."


"I think we should bar the doors of the different buildings, and maybe set up some piles of crates or barrels for us to hide behind. Then, when they're least expecting it, shut the gate and KABLOOEY!!"

Big Ern mimes a big explosion with his hands.

"Shopkeep, you got any crates or barrels?"


Gamemaster

"Hrmm... I have some small crates in the back, but they aren't really that helpful for what you have in mind I think. And there's one old barrel I used for storing some things in, it's in no good shape at all.
The doors to the stable and main house can be bolted easily, but the guest house... a makeshift will have to do there."
Oleg answers, a bit reluctantly.

Svetlana in the meantime offers another round of stew and bread, and takes unneeded plates.


Big Ern snorts in derision. "What kind of trading post is this without any goods? Well, maybe we can chop some firewood and stack it up high enough to hide behind."

There are trees around here, right?


Gamemaster

Nope, pretty much open land around, though some miles to the southwest there seems to be a bigger forest.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Branomonrik Nods "I am a cleric of Holy Abadar. I can call upon his might a little, I am also gifted with a small amount of healing magic and am a passable shot with my crossbow. I agree we should have them inside. Bombs work as well as snipers. I can work as such from cover."

51 to 100 of 2,500 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.