DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP

Game Master Franz Lunzer


2,451 to 2,500 of 2,500 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

Gamemaster

Nero: What do you plan?
Agerron: You find nothing out of the usual: trees, bushes, a bit of undergrowth...

Seeing all of you stop approaching, the illusion of the trapper thumbs her nose at you. Now that you know it's an illusion, the laughter you hear sounds hollow.


Tyr moves over and hobbles his horse.

"So, we know we're chasing an illusion. We also know that who ever is causing it knows of our visitation y the trapper. Thoughts?" He sets the leads around his mounts ankles and, satisfied for now, turns and surveys the surrounding forest.

"Y'KNOW, ANTICS LIKE THIS LEAD ME TO UNDERSTAND WHY LOGGERS AREN'T A BAD THING." He calls melodramatically and watches for any reaction. Still in two minds as to whether that's a bluff or a threat, atm.


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

1 I am trying to distance myself from the party and get a different vantage point in hopes of locating the true source. Failing that I intend on 'falling' off of my horse, then casting silent image getting back on and my illusion self riding away, again hoping to draw out the caster while I sneak around and stop them


Gamemaster

Nero: With the spells limited range of 60ft. that's not going to be easy, but ok. Make a Stealth-check please.
Everybody please roll Perception

In a voice that resembles Karinnas, but isn't hers, you hear a reply to Tyrs shout:
"We never did harm you, did we? Those bandits hurt and killed people!
You were mean to Karinna for no reason, she did nothing to deserve being treated that way. You are not much better than those bandits."


F Gnome Alchamist 2

Majet stops and puts the bomb away upon hearing that

"Should have none it was something we did biting us in the rear again." she mumbles to herself.

Perception

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Tyr stops and sighs,

"Aye...and what if one of our mounts had stumbled and broken a leg?" He calls back.

"I do agree that all sides need to work on people skills..." He acknowledges.


Warpriest 14 | AC 37 T 14 F 37 | HP 108| F +15* R +8* W +18* | Init +0 | Perc +15*

" 'Ere now, she got herself invited int' camp, an' th' protection o' th' camp while she were there. If'n one fool's words make th' lot sour, then ye got yer own problems t' attend t'. Thin skin makes fer thin friends, as me mum would say."


"We weren't mean to her, it was a funny joke! Almost twice as funny as that time that pixies made me fall off my horse, for instance. Ha ha ha, get it?" Big Ern retorts.

"B&~+#es be crazy," he mumbles to himself.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Just a post to make sure I get to see new pots showing up.


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

"The majority of us were very nice to her, actually. If she let's one bad egg spoil her day, well I have to agree with Jack that she's a bit thin-skinned. We shared our fire, and I tried to be hospitable.

"But I don't entirely blame Ern, here either. She should know that this wilderness has few friends; we were almost wiped out by a frikkin' plant creature, for hell's sake. She can't blame Ern for being a bit wary.

"So why don't you come out so we can talk?"

perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Gamemaster

Nero:
You manage to cast the silent image just after 'falling' from you horse when riding close to a taller hedge. Moving unseen around in the woods, it takes a few minutes before you finally sense some magic up in a tree, about 100ft. away from the place that entangled your horses. (This would be around the time Agerron speaks.)

Majet:
Looking around for the source of the voice, you notice a tangle of branches up in a tree a bit away.
Taking a longer look at that, it seems like a sort of nest, but it is too large to be the home of a mere bird.
In another tree close by you make out a second such huge nest.

Tyr Thordinsjon wrote:

Tyr stops and sighs,

"Aye...and what if one of our mounts had stumbled and broken a leg?" He calls back.

"I do agree that all sides need to work on people skills..." He acknowledges.

"And what if the sky turns orange and falls on your head?" the false Karinna voice calls black, before another voice, closer to your location cuts in: "Well duh, we would have helped and apologized.

Not one of you apologized for the way you treated Karinna, accusing her of being a bandit. You just bullied her."
Whiskeyjack Dunaldthal wrote:
" 'Ere now, she got herself invited int' camp, an' th' protection o' th' camp while she were there. If'n one fool's words make th' lot sour, then ye got yer own problems t' attend t'. Thin skin makes fer thin friends, as me mum would say."

"Yeah, we heard how she was invited, right into the round one's bedroll... I don't know if I'd be more afraid to be squished to death, or to be deaf after such a night." the second voice returns.

Big Ern wrote:
"We weren't mean to her, it was a funny joke! Almost twice as funny as that time that pixies made me fall off my horse, for instance. Ha ha ha, get it?" Big Ern retorts.

"Like that fall hurt you." the false Karinna voice answers.

Agerron wrote:

"The majority of us were very nice to her, actually. If she let's one bad egg spoil her day, well I have to agree with Jack that she's a bit thin-skinned. We shared our fire, and I tried to be hospitable.

"But I don't entirely blame Ern, here either. She should know that this wilderness has few friends; we were almost wiped out by a frikkin' plant creature, for hell's sake. She can't blame Ern for being a bit wary.

"So why don't you come out so we can talk?"

wow, another really low roll on diplomacy...

The other voice again speaks up, in reply to Agerron's words:
[b]"We won't show ourselfs to people treating our friends much like bandits. 'The majority of you' was nothing. You quabbled about Karinna being there, and when she showed her profession, only Nero was nice enough to offer a look at it. (She took that as being condescending, by the way.)
We don't blame Ern for being wary. We blame him for the way he demanded to get information.
We blame you for not caring how your companions way reflects on you as a group.
Maybe when next we meet, you have thought about that."

With that, the image of Karinna, that stood motionless since the discussion started, vanishes and you hear the flapping of wings, flying off into the woods.


F Gnome Alchamist 2

"I'm sorry." Majet yells after the flapping noise


Tyr just sighs and sets about calming, cleaning and setting his horse to rights...


Big Ern snorts. "Look -- I don't care who has been a meanie to who. You don't like bandits. We don't like bandits, and we're trying to get rid of them. So why don't you just leave us alone and we'll get back to killing bandits and everyone will be happy?"


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
DM Sothal wrote:

The other voice again speaks up, in reply to Agerron's words:

[b]"We won't show ourselfs to people treating our friends much like bandits. 'The majority of you' was nothing. You quabbled about Karinna being there, and when she showed her profession, only Nero was nice enough to offer a look at it. (She took that as being condescending, by the way.)
We don't blame Ern for being wary. We blame him for the way he demanded to get information.
We blame you for not caring how your companions way reflects on you as a group.
Maybe when next we meet, you have thought about that."

With that, the image of Karinna, that stood motionless since the discussion started, vanishes and you hear the flapping of wings, flying off into the woods.

Agerron stares in the direction of the flapping, and sticks his sword into the ground. His face is beet-red, and he's obviously enraged.

"THAT"S IT! Just who in the hells do you think you are?!! We did NOT treat her like a bandit!! In case you haven't noticed, we hang bandits, run them through, burn them, and just generally KILL them! One person in our group was a little rude, and her feelings were hurt? Cry me a frackin' river! In case you hadn't noticed, we had almost everyone in our group turned into fertilizer by a blasted fern! We've got the damned Stag whats-his-name after us, and you're gonna give us crap about hurting someone's widdle feelings?!! Gorum's rusty ass-chaps, I think I'm traveling through an open-sky sanitarium! And if she's got an issue, tell her to grow a pair and say something, rather than go off crying like an infant! ARRRGGHHHH!!!"

Agerron plops down on the ground, and says, "Who the hell's got booze? I need a drink."


Tyr settles his horse after Arerron's and Ern's loud outbursts at the dark forest.


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

Watching Agerron's tirade, and then standing up from his hiding place near the tree, "At least i'm not the only one who thinks this whole situation is kinda ridiculous."
Did i get a chance to see what it was when it flew off


Warpriest 14 | AC 37 T 14 F 37 | HP 108| F +15* R +8* W +18* | Init +0 | Perc +15*

Whiskeyjack, uncharacteristically silent to this point, just hands Agerron his flask of whiskey. "There ye go lad, take a dram. A little more. There ye go. Fey an' th' like don't think like us right folk. They be chasin' their own fey-thoughts o' right an' wrong. If'n that weren't so, there wouldnae be so many stories o' will o' wisps leadin' travelers to their deaths, and Ern's backside wouldnae be sore from 'is fall offa 'is 'orse."

"We jest need t' do our jobs, fill our role in life, an' not let th' thoughts o' others - and especially not th' thoughts o' th' fey - get us down. We all got our place in life, an' the fey, it seems, got their place t' annoy others. Me, I got Moradin tellin' me this is where I need t' be, and no fey-folk be changin' tha'. Mebbe you got a reason too."


Gamemaster

Before you get up to ride on to explore any more of the lands, Reyl, the hawk familiar of Nero finds you in the forest, having a piece of parchment in his talons.

Nero:
Nero,
My old heart is filled with joy by the words I read.
Oleg has agreed to let me borrow his last horse, and I will make preparations to be able to come with you the minute you get back.
May Erastil protect you,
Jhod


Gamemaster

Getting up on your horses again after this episode, you move on to map some more of the land the rest of this hex.

It is close to noon when you are satisfied with the map as it is.
You are, at this time, about 16miles from, and make your way to Olegs, first riding along the woods edge, then a short while straight over open plains to the former watch-post.

Just when the sun touches the western horizon, you ride through the posts big gate, being warmly greeted by the guards and Svetlana.
The guards were about to close the gate, when they noticed you coming 'home'.
Svetlana asks: "Shall I bring some slices of meat out for you? Though you sent Father Kavken a note in the last night, I did not expect you to come back today..."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Agerron smiles broadly, glad to be back and out of the looney-bin that passes for a wilderness out here in the Stolen Lands. "Yes, Svetlana. That would be fantastic! And some ale or lager would be much appreciated as well; I'm sorely in need of another drink. Whiskeyjack! You'll join me, I hope?"


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

"Yeah , we were close by and decided we all could use a break from the 'wilderness' before heading back out. I think I'll join everyone for a drink after I talk to Father Kavken."
Nero will head off looking for the father and will tell him about the shrine in detail and show him the books and writings they recovered


"Kill the fatted calf, the conquering heroes have returned!" Big Ern bellows.

"Now if we could just find those bloody bandits..."


Tyr quietly goes about settling in his mount and seeing to it's needs. Thence cleaning and caring for his equipment before walking around and talking quietly to any folks in the Steading who're interested in passing on information and gossip.

He joins in and helps out with the preparation for the coming evening's dinner.


Warpriest 14 | AC 37 T 14 F 37 | HP 108| F +15* R +8* W +18* | Init +0 | Perc +15*

"Aye, meat would be good, an' a little whiskey t' top off this thing. The young'n over there done drank half o' it."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
Whiskeyjack Dunaldthal wrote:
"Aye, meat would be good, an' a little whiskey t' top off this thing. The young'n over there done drank half o' it."

"And I aim to cover the other half tonight. With yours and Nero's help, and maybe Ern's also, I figure we can drain the trading post dry!"

Sothal, a little over a year ago (real time), Agerron ordered a mwk greatsword (post here). Any idea on the status of that getting back to Oleg's?


Gamemaster

Agerron: I was about to get to that

Svetlana brings out a full plate of sliced boar, roasted and seasoned and two loafs of bread, setting it on the table near the fireplace. She then goes back into the main building, coming out shortly after with a pitcher of ale and an opened bottle of whiskey.

While Nero goes looking for the father, Kesten Garess approaches, a bundle of things on his back. He greats you friendly, taking in a look of your condition. Seeing you all not the worse for wear, he smiles, while dropping the bundle on the table. It clunks heavily and you can hear the clinking of coin in it as well.
"I got a little something for you." the commander of the guards speaks.
Opening it, you find a greatsword, a wand and a sack of money.
1 mwk greatsword, 1 wand of cure light wounds, 1000gp in coins from pp to sp

Nero finds the elderly cleric already in his bed.


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
DM Sothal wrote:

Agerron: I was about to get to that

Svetlana brings out a full plate of sliced boar, roasted and seasoned and two loafs of bread, setting it on the table near the fireplace. She then goes back into the main building, coming out shortly after with a pitcher of ale and an opened bottle of whiskey.

While Nero goes looking for the father, Kesten Garess approaches, a bundle of things on his back. He greats you friendly, taking in a look of your condition. Seeing you all not the worse for wear, he smiles, while dropping the bundle on the table. It clunks heavily and you can hear the clinking of coin in it as well.
"I got a little something for you." the commander of the guards speaks.
Opening it, you find a greatsword, a wand and a sack of money.
1 mwk greatsword, 1 wand of cure light wounds, 1000gp in coins from pp to sp

Nero finds the elderly cleric already in his bed.

Agerron hefts the sword and takes a few swings. "Excellant!" he says, the first smile in a few days on his face. He hands the wand to Whiskeyjack, saying, "Either you or I can use this most easily; why don't you hang on to it for now." He'll also give each person in the group 166 gp in thevarious coins. The remainder (4 gp) he gives to Svetlana to cover the meal.

He'll also see if Oleg wants to buy his old greatsword, and he'll pick up a vial of antitoxin, alchemist's fire, and acid (1 each; cost 80gp).

After all that, he'll tell the rest, "OK, so what's the plan? I say we rest tonight, and set off first thing tomorrow back to the shrine with the priest. Might as well get that taken care of. Anyone know if he's goin' to stay there by himself? May not last long if so ..."


Warpriest 14 | AC 37 T 14 F 37 | HP 108| F +15* R +8* W +18* | Init +0 | Perc +15*

"Thankee laddie! This be a right fine bit t' have on hand."


Tyr nods and thanks Agerron for the shares.

About Agerron's suggestions of what to do for the moment he remains silent and pensive.

Not fussed about where we go next. What might give us more experience before we try dealing with the Stag Lord?


"Hopefully the bandits have some cash, too. There's lots of things I'd like to buy..." Big Ern scratches his balls while thinking of what he'd do with a small fortune.


Gamemaster

I'd have waited for Nero to post, what he'd do with the priest, but I'm going to update now, if only for a bit anyway.

Kesten speaks up while Agerron inspects the sword: "Heard you'd like that. The wand was ordered by Queslin I believe, but I guess it's yours anyway.
The money came with a note, some instructions of the Swordlords to our little band of guards, the pay for us and the instruction to give you those 1000gp for your 'deal with the kobolds'. They did go on a bit about how it was not the way they thought you would handle it, but are satisfied nonetheless."

When Agerron hands out the money and tries to pay Svetlana, she refuses strictly, speaking: "You folks owe us nothing. I don't know the tab exactly, but you still have a pretty coin in store with us. And I told you, as long as you are here, you don't have to pay for the food and shelter. We owe you our lives."

Oleg will take Agerron's greatsword back, and he has the things Agerron is looking for. He doesn't want to open up his store for the day again though, promising you to bring out the 3 things tomorrow morning.
He then looks over to Big Ern with a questioning look, inquiring what he is looking for.

Tyr: for one thing, exploring brings you experience. Not much, admittedly, but also the chance to find other challenges. Just saying.


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

Odd my post seems to have been eaten. Once i heard the priest was asleep i went to join everyone else.


There's nothing Big Ern wants that's in the ~100 gp range. Well, besides booze and hookers; he'll buy 10 gp worth of the former and keep his mouth shut about the latter.


Gamemaster

29 Pharast 4710A.R., Moonday

On the next morning you wake rested and relaxed, to the smell of fresh bread and hot tea. Svetlana already has a breakfast served on the tables near the fireplace.
A backpack full of supplies for Father Kavken is packed as well, leaning near the posts front gate.

During your breakfast, Oleg brings out the flasks and vials for Agerron.

The elderly Father Kavken is eating with you as well, very excited since he saw the group having returned.
Asked about his plans he explains: "I want to be at the temple for thome dayth. Old Deadeye thent me a vithion, detailing a ritual to bleth the temple, involving cathtingth of conthecrate, thanctuary and bleth.
If you would be tho kind to come back thome dayth later and ethcort me back here, I would be very grateful, but I will try riding back on my own if you can't.


Tyr rises early and goes about the Outpost doing what chores he can to help out. Come breakfast he sits and nods politely to those who join. At the Priests request he nods.

"Aye...a fair thing to do..." He says simply.


Warpriest 14 | AC 37 T 14 F 37 | HP 108| F +15* R +8* W +18* | Init +0 | Perc +15*

"Aye'n it be a worthy thing t' do fer ye. I fer one'd be happy t'. Seems ol Moradin's got me a job t' do with Deadeye's priest. Th' two ain't normally so buddy buddy, but who can ken th' minds o' th' gods?"


Big Ern snorts, "Well, I don't much feel like riding back through those g#+%+#n fairies again, but you did help me out when I was sick, so I figure I owe ya one."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

"Yes, I think we can do as you like. Are you sure you'll be OK there by yourself?"


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

After waking and taking care of his spells Nero will sit near Father Kavken and try to decifer his request through his breakfast. "I'm sure we can help out with that."

spells memorized:

level 1 1+1+Specialty]
Mage armour
Gravity Bow
Colour spray(specialty bonus)


Gamemaster

The old priest nods at Agerron's question, adding: "My god thet me up to thith tathk, he will work hith way that I am able to do it. Faith and believe, you know.
The ride to the Temple and back I trutht in your protecthion, at the Temple, Old Deadeye will look out for me."

Any last minute purchases or preperations?


Gamemaster

None it is then.

You soon after your breakfast leave the trading post again, the guards waving a goodbye from the former forts wooden walls as you look back.

The priest actually is a good enough rider, that he doesn't delay your progress, and you soon arrive at the Narlmarches edge, riding along it until you find the spot where you got out from between the trees the day before.
Along the way you met a hunter traveling to Olegs, but he hurried on to make his way, so you didn't talk much.

Riding through the wood on the afternoon you come across a young deer, that Nero with an arrow quickly brings down. You decide to take the killed game with you and roast it later at the temple.

You arrive at the temple an hour before dusk, finding it still unoccupied, just as you left.

Father Kavken got more and more excited the nearer you brought him to the temple, but as he didn't know the way he had to keep your pace. He might have raced the last mile if he knew the way, some might think.

After inspecting the Temple, he laments about the fact that night is upon you, and that he is too exhausted to start his ritual right away.


Tyr nods, even as he settles his horse and helps set up camp for the evening.

Happy to take what ever shift needs a body on look out.


Warpriest 14 | AC 37 T 14 F 37 | HP 108| F +15* R +8* W +18* | Init +0 | Perc +15*

Whiskeyjack will help with the cooking. Everything tastes better basted in whiskey.


Male Elf Ftr (Archer) 1 / Wiz (Illusion) 1

Nero will do what he can to help out while his hawk finds a good perch to watch from.


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

"Yeah, it's late. But look at the bright side, Father, you'll be able to kick off your ritual first thing in the morning, after a good night's sleep and a roast venison dinner. And I look forward to your version, Whiskeyjack!" Agerron actually seems in relatively good spirits.


Big Ern soaks his head in the sacred spring again.

"I like the way you think, Beardo!" Big Ern enthuses when he sees the dwarf's ingredient list.


Polite bump.


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

slight bump

2,451 to 2,500 of 2,500 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.