DM Khel's Core Confirmation (Inactive)

Game Master Khelreddin


1 to 50 of 248 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

| DM | Absalom Initiation

The invitation delivered last night was remarkably simple, especially given the importance of the occasion: “Start where it all began. Meet us at the Pig’s Paunch one hour before dawn.”

The Pig’s Paunch is a run-down building with a faded sign of a large pig standing on its hind legs, arms folded above a corpulent belly. Inside, the air is thick with the scents of human sweat, stale tobacco, and leftover food. In the center of the room, surrounded by inebriates sleeping off their revelries, a familiar elven man stands high on top of a large round table. “Welcome! Welcome, my students! Please, have a seat!”

With that, Kreighton Shaine, the Pathfinder Society’s Master of Scrolls, nimbly drops down to sit cross-legged on the table before looking about the tavern with a sense of reverent wonder. “Can you believe it? It all started here years ago—well, over four hundred of them at least. Under this very roof the Pathfinder Society was born.”

“But today! Today you will begin your Confirmation! Master Farabellus, Master Zey, and I all agree you each have shown your worth and dedication to the Society, so there’s no better time to see if you can handle becoming full field operatives. Allow me to introduce you to Janira Gavix,” he says as he motions for an excitable halfling woman to approach. She wears a large backpack and carries all manner of tools, pouches, and scroll cases around her waist. Shaine continues, saying, “Janira here will be going with you on your Confirmation. She was one of my brightest pupils and will no doubt be an invaluable resource on your journey, for she discovered the caves you are about to explore during her own Confirmation.”

Janira speaks up in an enthusiastic and cheerful voice, “Greetings, aspiring Pathfinders! Hey, I recognize some of you from that other bar! Great to see you again! It’s so exciting that you found that trove of documents about the Society’s history, good work! Where’s your funny gnome friend? Too bad he isn’t here, we’re finally going to get you guys out of Absalom.”

”Speaking of which, let’s get to the business at hand! Six months ago, while I was mapping cave entrances in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts, I witnessed a lone gillman entering a concealed cave. I thought little of it at the time, but I saw another one enter the cave again a month later as my Confirmation stretched on. A few days later, after I completed my assigned task, I entered the cave system, but was unable to find the gillmen.”

Master Shaine hops to his feet. “Initiates, for your Confirmation, you will travel to these caves to explore and document their many passages. Additionally, and most importantly, you are to learn what the gillmen are up to in there. Oh, and you need to come back alive as well.” With these parting words, the Master of Scrolls jumps off the table and strolls out of the building while humming to himself.

As I’m sure some of you are aware, there are two scenarios that describe bars where the Society was supposedly founded. I kind of like the idea of there being confusion and conflicting claims about this, so I’ve left it that way. Who’s right, Dreng or Shane? Who knows?

Knowledge (geography), DC 10:

At the center of the Isle of Kortos stand the Kortos Mounts, the points on the island.

Knowledge (geography), DC 15:

Entire tribes of centaurs, harpies, and minotaurs constantly vie for territory up and around the Mounts, with harpies being the most common at higher altitudes and centaurs controlling the lower slopes and foothills.

Knowledge (history), DC 15:

Also known as the Low Azlanti, the gillmen are an amphibious humanoid race believed to be the last descendants of the ancient Azlanti people.

Knowledge (history), DC 20:

During Earthfall, the Starstone struck Golarion and destroyed the human empires of Thassilon and Azlant. It is said that gillmen’s ancestors survived the cataclysmic event because they received the blessing of an aquatic entity that allowed them to breathe underwater.

Knowledge (history), DC 25:

Most scholars believe the terrifying aboleths were responsible for the gillmen’s transformation. Any alliance between them appears to have fallen apart over the millennia, however, and the gillmen are now an independent people.

Janira pulls out a large leather-bound journal and opens it on the table. “Before we set out, we should all get to know each other and review our plan. After all, the most important factors that determine whether an expedition will be a success are cooperation and preparation! I’ll go first!”

”I’m from here in Absalom, Eastgate to be precise. Grew up there with a raft of little brothers and sisters. My da still works there as a porter, driving his dog cart all over town with goods to deliver. I joined the Pathfinders planning to see the world and try all the yummy food I could along the way, but I found I enjoyed the Scrolls work the most, and now I strive to preserve knowledge in all its forms.”

With a modest little drop of her head, she adds, ”Though I don’t spend all my time studying. I’ve picked up a couple of tricks with my whip, thanks to the Master of Swords, and I can use a blade and a crossbow too. I’ve even learned to cast some spells from Aram Zey! The Society has taught me so much already. I do hope you all have a good experience with your Confirmation. But enough about me! Tell me about yourselves, would you? Where did you grow up? Where have you traveled before coming to the Grand Lodge? Did you have a favorite class, training exercise, or teacher in your initiation to the Society? How do you handle yourself in a fight? Oh, I'm sorry, that's a lot of questions, isn't it?”

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Dot.

Grand Lodge

Halfling Friar 2 | HP 9/17 | AC 21 T 17 FF 18 | CMD 15 (17 grapple) | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +7 (+2 against fear) | Init +3 | Perc +10 | stunning fist: 2/2 DC 14

Monk dot.

Sovereign Court

AC15/T12/FF13/CMD12||HP10[10]F:+3;R:+4;W:+4|Init:+2|Perc:+10 Half-elf Bard 1

dot

Grand Lodge

Halfling Friar 2 | HP 9/17 | AC 21 T 17 FF 18 | CMD 15 (17 grapple) | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +7 (+2 against fear) | Init +3 | Perc +10 | stunning fist: 2/2 DC 14

A young handling walks into the establishment. He wears a simple brown robe with a rope tied about the waist and his head is shaved on top think traditional medieval European monk, not eastern monk. He bows his head to Master Shane and the other Pathfinders in the room. After Kreighton's introduction he says, "It is good to meet you all. My name is Friar Huck and, so you may have guessed from my stature, I am of that half king clan that has landed so many of its kin to the Society, the Flaxseeds. I follow a monastic order of Shelyites."

Friar Huck nods to Janira. "I believe I am prepared. I prefer to disable or pin my opponents rather than cause true pain. I have a healing potion and some alchemist's fire."

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Sovereign Court

AC15/T12/FF13/CMD12||HP10[10]F:+3;R:+4;W:+4|Init:+2|Perc:+10 Half-elf Bard 1

A lanky man with straw blond hair, and slightly pointed ears strolls into the tavern. After listening to Shaine, he nearly falls over at Janira's introfucrion. He waves and smiles. "Janira! Fancy seeing you here! Wait..your our mission leader? Shelyn's sweet mercy. How lucky!"

Peering around at the assembled group, he starts to look crestfallen. "Oh dear. Wicket is coming along? I do hope is well....."

Looking around he holds out a large hand to Huck. "Well met Fire Luck! What an interesting name. I am Sobestian Opparason III, hailing from Taldor. Your a follower of the Eternal Rose?! I am as well! Sheyln must have big plans for us, don't you think?"

As Janira begins delving into her questions, Sobestian's eyes start get an unfocused look. "Uh....Mu name is Sobestian Opparason III and I hail from Oppara, Taldor. I much preferred the history and art lectures, than the more brutish training....."

KN: geography: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
KN: local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Sobe ponders his lessons on the area, but becomes distracted, staring at another tavern goer that has a remarkable mole resembling Drendle Drang's face. Mole....mole....holy moley....

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

Still-building-the-character dot.

Grand Lodge

Halfling Friar 2 | HP 9/17 | AC 21 T 17 FF 18 | CMD 15 (17 grapple) | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +7 (+2 against fear) | Init +3 | Perc +10 | stunning fist: 2/2 DC 14

"Friar Huck," the halfling corrects politely as he shakes the hand of the gregarious half-elf. "Pleasure to meet you."

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Knowledge (Geography, Untrained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

A short, muscular dwarf with a long, dark brown ponytail nods companionably to Janira and Sobestian, then gives the others a curt nod as well. Her stone-grey eyes are deeply sunken, her ears set close to the side of her head, and she wears a jeweled pendant on her forehead. "Rokdor Goblinbreaker, former Hammerer of Fortress Bronzemurdered."

Dark Archive

HP 27/27 | AC 20 T11 FF 19 CMD 18 | F+6 R+5 W+4; Init +2 | Perception -1 Darkvision | Aura of Courage (10 ft)

Tog is big tall greenskin, with heavish armor, a large forehead and a prominent holy symbol of Abadar.

"Tog say hi now. Hi. Tog Protector of Great Vault. Tog recognize Rokdor and Soba... Sobe.. S'Bestian! Tog wonder where Gnome go, Tog wanted to learn about Gnomish poking school."

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

Oldmar was early, of course. He's been waiting for this day for a long time. He thought his revisionist research into the history of the Quest for Sky might have earned him a Field Commission, but alas he needed to endure almost three years thus far as an initiate to gain full access to the Pathfinders' libraries. Nevertheless, that day is almost within his grasp.

As his companions enter one by one, and of course Janira and Master Shane, Oldmar greets them one by one. "Good morning, pleased to meet you," he bows, without the slightest hint of an accent. His salutation to Tog is a little warmer and to Rokdor a little colder, but polite nonetheless.

Now, he finds the table's attention has turned to him. He stands to the full height of his short stature and introduces himself more thoroughly. "I am Oldmar of the Lucridious clan, from the distant Five Kings Mountains. I am a historian of some repute (read: no repute) and have traveled several times to Lastwall and the Hold of Belkzen for research purposes, but as we all know some information is best found in a library rather than the field, hence my coming to Absalom. I am particularly eager," he adds with relish, "to join the upcoming expedition to Jormurdun, so I am grateful for the opportunity to complete my Confirmation several months early." With that, he sits.

Kn History: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Oldmar ponders for a moment. "A query, halfling friend. Gillmen are known as the amphibious Low Azlanti, are they not? Do you have any suspicion why they would enter this cave complex?"


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Janira titters quietly as Sobestian butchers the good friar’s name, listening eagerly to everyone’s stories. Turning to Oldmar, she almost squeaks with excitement, ”Oh, I’m so glad you’re coming along! I’ve done a little reading about Belkzen, but I’ve never been there! And I’m sure I can provide you some good references to texts about Jormurdun, maybe introduce you around. Lots of people are talking about it these days!”

Looking around at the assembled company, she collects herself and says, “Right, on to the details of the mission at hand. After reviewing my mission reports personally, Master Shaine believes it is no coincidence that each time the gillmen entered the caves it was during a full moon, so it is also no coincidence that you have been called here now, just a day before the moon is full again. We both believe that tomorrow night is our best chance to find out why these caves are important and what exactly the gillmen are doing in there.”

“The caves we’ll be travelling to lie under the base of the Kortos Mounts. We’ll need to spend every minute of daylight possible to reach the caves by foot, crossing over the Cairnlands, taking the paths to Diobel, and finally making our way through the wilderness. With any luck we won’t run into any of the local inhabitants. Once in the caves, we’ll need to work together to explore and determine whether any gillman are present or have been recently. Keep an eye out for any other clues that might hint at the caves’ significance, too.”

Janira casts a more thoughtful look at each of the initiates in her charge, studying their weapons and equipment and saying, ”Are there any questions? And before we head out, we should take a moment to go through your gear and make sure nothing important gets left out. There are all kinds of things that are helpful to bring along – rope, alchemist’s fire, healing magic if you can afford it, something to eat. But I find the thing that people forget a lot is some paper and ink! We’re supposed to uphold the Three Duties – but how do you ‘report’ if you don’t write anything down?”

”Anyway, any questions for me, about our mission or things you should bring? We should get going soon!”

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Introductions

Rokdor nods solicitously at Oldmar's introduction, but her expression darkens slightly when he reveals his origins. "You're from the Mountainhome?" she asks, studying his face with sudden interest.

Dorf's ready to go.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 27/27 | AC 20 T11 FF 19 CMD 18 | F+6 R+5 W+4; Init +2 | Perception -1 Darkvision | Aura of Courage (10 ft)

Tog dumps out his stuff onto the table.

Tog points at his stuff "Tog have axe. Axe good for many things, Tog even good with both ends or one end or whatever end. Tog have sling and bullets in case enemy flies, Tog have magic burning fire vial in case of swarms. Tog also have enough money to buy himself own ale."

Tog pauses for a moment, scratching his head before deciding against buying an ale at this juncture.

"Tog memory for details not da best, maybe writing things down help. Tog promise to try as best he can."

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8
Rokdor Goblinbreaker wrote:
"You're from the Mountainhome?" she asks, studying his face with sudden interest.

"Not the Mountainhome, per se, but Rolgrimmdur is where I was born," Oldmar intones. "Why do you ask?"

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

The female dwarf grunts. "Good. Most of the immigrants we get from the Mountainhome these days aren't worth their brew. And don't get me started on the prices the liaison offers for our work..." She shakes her head. "Guess things are the same in Rolgrimmdur, huh?"

Grand Lodge

Halfling Friar 2 | HP 9/17 | AC 21 T 17 FF 18 | CMD 15 (17 grapple) | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +7 (+2 against fear) | Init +3 | Perc +10 | stunning fist: 2/2 DC 14

The monastic halfling nods at Oldmar. "It is good to have a historian in the group. And I'm sure everyone will prove their talent in unique ways along the journey. I am ready to go at a moment's notice."

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

"Couldn't say. Hardly been back, last 40 years, except when I need to. Too many people for me to avoid." Oldmar shrugs. "Immigrants to where? I am unfamiliar with your accent."
____

"Aye," the dwarf agrees. "It is always good to have historian. History is how we know why things are, so that we may... rectify our past mistakes. Sarenrae teaches that all should seek such redemption."

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

"To Bronzemurdered," replies the dwarf, as if it should've been obvious. "I've had to hammer more'n one of 'em, and they showed no signs of being any better before I left. Why'd you leave?"

Sovereign Court

AC15/T12/FF13/CMD12||HP10[10]F:+3;R:+4;W:+4|Init:+2|Perc:+10 Half-elf Bard 1

Sobestian bows to Oldmar. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Omar. I'm Sobestian Opparason III. Your research sounds fascinating. I just love stories."

His eyes widen at Rokdor. "Oh dear! Being hammered does not sound pleasant at all!"

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Rokdor laughs and pats her hammer fondly. "Ha! Was my job to ensure it wasn't, Sobestian."

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

"Ah." Oldmar studies the other dwarf with a long look. "A variety of reasons. You could say my research was the primary reason, but the truth is that I find it grating to be surrounded by the glossed narrative of dwarven destiny. My opinions on the matter--grounded in fact," he adds with some emphasis, "--have sometimes made family gatherings disagreeable. I try not to bother my cousins when I do not have to."

"A pleasure to meet you as well, Sobestian," Oldmar says with a slight bow. He points at Rokdor's hammer. "Hammered them with that one, I assume? What for? Surely, there's a good tale there, or two?"

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

"Don't see me carryin' any others, do you?" replies the female dwarf with another chuckle. "'Course with this one. Most of 'em were foolish things, topplin' tables or throwing punches." She scratches her chin thoughtfully for a moment. "Once we caught a vampire... that's probably the best hammering I've ever done," she adds proudly.

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

"I would bet!" Oldmar exclaims, hoping he never has occasion to encounter a vampire himself.

"Say! That reminds me," he says, with an eye at Tog's stuff sprawled over the table. "Are any of you good with healing magic? I've got a scroll here in my backpack that might come in handy." The dwarf hands a scroll of cure light wounds to (Sobestian, presumably?) whoever can use it. "Everything else I should be able to handle myself. Rope, acid, crowbar, and of course, my spellbook journal." He lays the the various items neatly on the table next to Tog's pile and opens the journal.

"So, Janira, just to be clear: our mission is to explore the cave system, figure out what the gillmen are doing there, and get out alive?" He jots these items down. "I think we can handle that."


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Wow, gang, such great RP whilst my back was turned!

Janira listens raptly as the two dwarves discuss historical research and hammerin’, though she comes to attention quickly enough when Oldmar addresses her. ”What’s that? Yes, Oldmar, that’s our mission, more or less. I’m also curious if the caves have some other history, they’ve probably been around longer than these gillmen visitors…but who knows, I’ve heard tales of the gillmen having some dealings with the aboleths, long years ago.”

Soon afterwards, Janira exhorts everyone to pack up their gear and get moving, suggesting that once they’re out in the wilds, Tog might do well to lead the way with his mighty axe. ”It is good for many things, as you say, whether it’s clearing brush out of the way or taking care of any unpleasant surprises waiting in the woods.”

Setting out, the journey through the City at the Center of the World is swift and without incident, and the long trek across the Cairnlands provides a great opportunity to discuss Master Shane’s class on the history of Absalom. Once across the Cairnlands, where Janira makes a point of indicating particularly noteworthy siege towers and an odd, multihued flower that is said to only grow where fey blood has been spilled, the Pathfinders come to a well-worn path that leads toward Diobel. This path crosses through a wide clearing with a fine stream, that makes a perfect spot to camp for the night before heading into the wilderness surrounding the Kortos Mounts.

After a pleasant rest and a quick breakfast of cold trail rations, Janira urges everyone to get moving quickly once again. Over the course of the morning’s march, the terrain begins to get wilder. Indeed, as the party progresses deeper into the forest after a lunch on the move, the trees towering overhead begin to shield most of what remains of the day’s sun and the vegetation beneath grows denser. Janira pauses a moment and pulls out an intricate silver compass emblazoned with the Pathfinder Society logo: the Glyph of the Open Road. “I received this wayfinder when I successfully completed my Confirmation. Should we be successful on our journey, you will get your own as well.” She flips open the device and holds it in front of her; the initials J. L. are engraved into the inside of the device’s lid. After studying the compass inside for a moment, she remarks, “We’re on the right path. We need to keep heading northwest past those large rocks up ahead.”

As she steps back onto the trail, an odd skittering noise can be heard, and Janira calls out, ”Look out!” Three strange, insect-like creatures appear out of the undergrowth all around! They skitter quickly across the ground toward the party, their movements a combination of flailing legs and occasional high leaps. One of them gets within striking distance of Huck, as the other two continue their erratic charge across the forest floor!

Knowledge (nature) rolls might be good here.

Janira, meanwhile, cries out, ”Do not lose heart! Selmius Foster’s race against a marid and efreeti on the isle of Jalmeray taught us that nothing is truly impossible and every situation can end in victory! Fight on, Pathfinders!”

Inspire Courage: +1 attack, damage and saves vs fear.

Dice rolls:

Flea sneak!: 3d20 ⇒ (5, 3, 17) = 25

Perception, Huck: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Perception, Oldmar: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Perception, Rokdor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Perception, Sobestian: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Perception, Tog: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Perception, Janira: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Initiative, Huck: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Initiative, Oldmar: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Initiative, Rokdor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Initiative, Sobestian: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Initiative, Tog: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Initiative, Janira: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Initiative, Fleas: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Initiative:
Fleas
Janira
Huck
Tog
Sobestian
Oldmar
Rokdor

Surprise round. Anyone in bold is up (Huck and Tog didn’t make the Perception check.) Map is linked in my stat line.

Sovereign Court

AC15/T12/FF13/CMD12||HP10[10]F:+3;R:+4;W:+4|Init:+2|Perc:+10 Half-elf Bard 1

"Oh dear! What ugly things, little things." Sobestian exclaims, ad he draws a whip, steps southeast, and lashes out at the nearest. "Er...pardon me, Janira."

Whip Trip: 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 1 = 11

Out of town and cannot edit map. Please move Sobe five feet to the southeast.

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

What's a Nature?

Sobe: Are you sure you mean SW? There's nothing in range if you move there, unless you're readying to trip the western one.

Rokdor steps to the side and punches at the insect, grabbing her hammer from her belt as she moves. TK 1/6

Ranged Touch (inspire): 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 1 = 11
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Sobe takes a quick step to one side and cracks his whip at the flea menacing Huck, but the nimble thing dodges aside.

Moved Sobe SE on map, which made sense. Will work with Rokdor on the whole remedial reading thing. ;p

Rokdor's magical fist likewise misses.

Oldmar to round out the turn!

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

*grumble grumble mumble*

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

Surprise Round

"Pests." Oldmar (five foot) steps up next to a tree and draws his axe.

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Oh right, surprise round. We'll say I 5' stepped and did TK, not drawing the hammer yet.


| DM | Absalom Initiation

The dog-sized insects close in on the party, the jagged edges of their jaws clattering greedily. One of them even springs through the air to land at Sobestian's side, but his poor landing causes him to bite at the ground. The other two swarm around Oldmar, but are unable to bit him successfully.

Bite, Flank: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9
Bite damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Bite, Flank: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 = 6
Bite damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Bite damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Meanwhile, Janira steps out of the flea's reach and dips a hand into a pouch at her belt, ready to cast a spell if it should be needed.

She has readied gallant inspiration. First person to botch an attack roll can benefit from the spell and add 2d4 to their roll.

Initiative:
Fleas (green is at -2 AC)
Janira
Huck
Tog
Sobestian
Oldmar
Rokdor

Party up!

Grand Lodge

Halfling Friar 2 | HP 9/17 | AC 21 T 17 FF 18 | CMD 15 (17 grapple) | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +7 (+2 against fear) | Init +3 | Perc +10 | stunning fist: 2/2 DC 14

The good Friar tries to grab ahold of the bug! "Calm down, Buggy!"

grapple: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Rokdor steps over and draws her hammer to swing it powerfully at the nearest flea!

Boop: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 1 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

"Pests!" Oldmar says, a little louder this time. He steps out from between the two bugs and brings his axe down on the bug locked in Huck's embrace with both hands.

During overland travel, Oldmar is unlikely to have his shield on at all times. AC adjusted above.

Waraxe @ Huck'd Flea: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 3 + 1 = 13
Damage: 1d10 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 = 12

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

I forgot to include inspire courage in my damage; please adjust up by 1.


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Huck grabs hold of the giant flea and is able to pin two of its legs to the ground with one of his own feet and grab hold of two other flailing, insectoid limbs, rendering the disgusting thing unable to move. Oldmar gives his opinion of the creatures and underscores his point, smashing his axe into the one Huck is wrestling with. The strike is powerful, and effective, and the giant flea goes still. Huck and Oldmar’s teamwork pays off!

Nearby, Rokdor gets to hammerin’, delivering a crushing blow to the nearest flea. Unfortunately, the tough exoskeleton of the creature seems to deflect much of the force of her strike.

Initiative:
Fleas (green: -4 hp)
Janira
Huck
Tog
Sobestian

Oldmar
Rokdor

Dark Archive

HP 27/27 | AC 20 T11 FF 19 CMD 18 | F+6 R+5 W+4; Init +2 | Perception -1 Darkvision | Aura of Courage (10 ft)

Tog moves as he talks.

"Tog draw axe and get into flank." says Tog as he draws his axe and moves into flank, taking a wide berth around the potentially itchy beastie.

"Tog attack beast" says Tog as he attacks.

Overhand Slice: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 2 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Tog does as he says, and his commentary makes it clear to his companions that he's a force to be reckoned with - his axe strikes the flea hard, slicing easily through its chitinous armor and cleaving it nearly in half.

The last of the creatures is too dumb to know it is badly outnumbered, and it eyes Huck's exposed skin hungrily.

Initiative:
Flea
Janira
Huck
Tog
Sobestian
Oldmar
Rokdor

Sobestian is up to finish the round.

Sovereign Court

AC15/T12/FF13/CMD12||HP10[10]F:+3;R:+4;W:+4|Init:+2|Perc:+10 Half-elf Bard 1

Whip Trip: 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 2 + 1 = 16

Sobestian steps northwest, and lashes at the remaining flea, hoping to pull it to the ground.


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Sobestian's whip wraps around the front legs of the last flea standing, causing it to crash to the ground. It quickly leaps up, an easy feat for fleet flea feet, and steps toward Huck, biting at him. It is clearly rattled by its recent encounter with the dirt, however, and it misses Huck completely.

I guess standing will provoke from Sobestian, before it 5-foot steps.

"Hurrah! Huzzah!" Janira cries out, "You have bested two of them already! Fight on and end this menace!"

She continues to Inspire Courage (round 2 today)

Bite: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Bite: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Initiative:
Fleas
Janira
Huck
Tog
Sobestian
Oldmar
Rokdor

Dark Archive

HP 27/27 | AC 20 T11 FF 19 CMD 18 | F+6 R+5 W+4; Init +2 | Perception -1 Darkvision | Aura of Courage (10 ft)

Tog moves up to the side of the flea

"Tog move up and try to finish off flea" says Tog, as he moves up and swings at the flea."[/b]

Swing: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


1 person marked this as a favorite.
| DM | Absalom Initiation

Tog’s blade slices the last of the giant fleas neatly in half. Janira cries out, ”Well fought, well fought! I’ve never seen a group of initiates handle themselves so well! And how fortunate that no one was hurt, we’ve got a lot of ground to cover still if we’re going to make it to the caves by dusk.”

At Janira’s urging, everyone gets promptly back on the trail. The forest continues to grow denser and wilder, and the trail becomes fainter and harder to navigate, due to fallen trees, false trails that end in thick tangles of brush, unexpected low cliffs and so on.

Survival checks:

Survival, Huck: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Survival, Oldmar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Survival, Rokdor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Survival, Sobestian: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Survival, Tog: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Tog is poised on the edge of a tall cliff, conferring with Oldmar about the wisdom of jumping down it to make better time. The pair have nearly hatched the perfect plan, involving tying everyone together with rope and jumping off at the same time, when Huck and Rokdor point out a much better path. A barely visible animal track off to one side widens and descends in the direction Janira insists they need to go, and she is much relieved when the party begins to make good progress again.

After a few more hours of hiking, the dense forest opens to a wide clearing at the base of a sheer cliff. Thick vines cover the surface of the cliff stretching thirty feet overhead. “Here! The cave entrance is behind those vines,” Janira says with a broad smile as she walks to the cliff’s face. She pulls back several layers of vegetation to reveal a narrow crack in the cliff’s surface. “This is where I saw the gillmen enter.”

As she motions toward the opening, the surrounding woods come alive with the sound of small animals fleeing some unseen danger and a large creature crashing through the undergrowth.
The halfling worriedly remarks, “Quick, take cover before whatever it is spots us!” As if she’d summoned the creature with her words, a massive horned monstrosity emerges from the trees. Standing eight feet tall on a pair of cloven hooves and wielding a tremendous axe, the bull-headed creature roars with unbridled anger when it spots the group.

Wisely assessing that a minotaur is beyond her charges’ capabilities, Janira screams, “A minotaur! There’s little chance we can stand against it. Take this bag,” she continues, pulling off her backpack, “and head deeper into the caves. Finish your mission. I’ll lead it away from the caves, lose it in the forest, and join you as soon as I can. Now go! GO!” She heaves her backpack into the cave, casts a spell, and darts off toward the minotaur before turning to lure it away.

Dark Archive

HP 27/27 | AC 20 T11 FF 19 CMD 18 | F+6 R+5 W+4; Init +2 | Perception -1 Darkvision | Aura of Courage (10 ft)

Tog states plainly

"Tog not afraid of Minotaur, but little Janira is in charge so I guess we listen."

Tog will look to his allies, ready to follow them.

Grand Lodge

Halfling Friar 2 | HP 9/17 | AC 21 T 17 FF 18 | CMD 15 (17 grapple) | Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +7 (+2 against fear) | Init +3 | Perc +10 | stunning fist: 2/2 DC 14

The Friar nods his head to Janira. "Carry the good luck of Shelyn with you, my friend!" He runs off into the cave. I do hope she is capable on her own.

The Exchange

F Dwarf Wizard 2 [ HP 16/16 (0 NL) | AC 15 Tch 11 FF 14 | Fort +2 Ref +1 Will +4 | CMD 14 | Init +1 | Perc +2, darkvision | Effects: mage armor ]

Rokdor frowns and reaches for her hammer, but seeing the others acquiesce to the halfling's instructions she simply nods. "Run quickly."

Turning to the others, the dwarf gestures toward the cave.

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

Likewise, Oldmar reaches first for his shield and takes a moment to secure it to his arm while staring hard at the minotaur. Only then does he grumble after Huck and follow into the cave.

Sovereign Court

AC15/T12/FF13/CMD12||HP10[10]F:+3;R:+4;W:+4|Init:+2|Perc:+10 Half-elf Bard 1

"Oh dear! That monster is ugly! I do hope Janira can take of herself...." Sobestian says, then turns and sprints to the cave.


| DM | Absalom Initiation

Torn between fighting the taurine menace and following the instructions of their mentor, the initiates reluctantly enter the narrow cave mouth. With a quick glance back, they can make out the minotaur chasing after Janira through the trees, fighting its way through the dense undergrowth. Soon, the cacophony of the chase fades and the sounds of the forest slowly return to normal.

The cave opening is only five feet wide, but after twenty feet or so it widens slightly, making passage easier. In addition to Janira’s backpack lying on the cave floor, Tog points out a trail of footprints in the soil – web-footed footprints, in fact, and only a few hours old, by the look of them. Oldmar scrutinizes the ground carefully, but simply cannot make them out. An even worse roll than last time…

More Survival checks:

Survival, Huck: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Survival, Oldmar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Survival, Rokdor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Survival, Sobestian: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Survival, Tog: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Survival, Huck: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Survival, Oldmar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Survival, Rokdor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Survival, Sobestian: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Survival, Tog: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Janira’s backpack has fallen open, and inside is a trove of extremely useful supplies! So much so, it’s a wonder the little lass was able to tote it all from Absalom.

In Janira’s backpack:

potion of barkskin, potions of cure light wounds (2), potion of feather step, potion of vanish, scroll of entangle, scroll of gust of wind, scroll of identify, scroll of mage armor (CL 6), scroll of obscuring mist, wand of burning hands (CL 3rd, 4 charges), wand of cure light wounds (CL 3rd, 8 charges), acid, alchemist’s fire (2), holy water, smokestick, tanglefoot bag, thunderstone, antitoxin, sunrods (2)

Stepping further into the tunnel is like entering a different world: water dripping from stalactites and the distant rushing of underground streams creates an eerie backdrop of sound. The cave walls are patterned with blue-green luminescent fungi that provide dim light and create strange shadows. From time to time, the party passes a petroglyph carved into the wall – most seem to depict abstract marine animals or spiral shapes. Strangely, the glowing fungi seem to cluster more thickly on the rough surfaces of these carvings, causing the petroglyphs to glow slightly brighter than their surroundings.

The narrow tunnel twists and turns for several hundred feet before slowly opening to a wider passage. A large hole spans the cave’s width and stretches ten feet down the path. The pit is nearly full of crystal-clear water, allowing anyone to see that the bottom is approximately ten feet down. There appears to be a colorful object, perhaps a bundle of cloth, lying on the floor of the pit. As everyone else peers obliviously into the depths to try to figure out what’s on the bottom, Oldmar’s keen eye notes that the hole is not natural – it was dug by something or someone.

Grand Lodge

Dwarf Historian 1 | HP 12*/20 | AC 18* FF 16* Tch 10* | CMD 17* | F+8* R+2 W+3* | Perc +5 | Init +2
Per Diem:
0/8

"How helpful of her to label everything," Oldmar comments. He reaches into the bag and fishes out two vials (one of the CLW potions and an alchemist fire). "Sobestian, Rokdor, figure out which one of you wants which scrolls and wands. Useless to me. Huck, Rokdor, want any of this other stuff?" He'll toss anything unwanted into his own pack before pulling out some rope.

"Anyone a good climber? I can lower someone down."

1 to 50 of 248 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Khel's Core Confirmation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.