DM Fflash's Shackled City Campaign

Game Master DM Fflash

Chapter 7/8: Lord of Oblivion
Cauldron & Vicinity

Roll 20 Link

Slayer Totals


7,551 to 7,600 of 8,111 << first < prev | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | next > last >>

Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik takes a 5' step and power attacks the demodand after healing himself as a swift action.

LoH: 5d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 1, 4, 6, 5) + 7 = 24

Power Attack: 1d20 + 17 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 17 - 3 = 17
damage: 2d6 + 7 + 9 ⇒ (6, 1) + 7 + 9 = 23
Reflex: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26

Power Attack: 1d20 + 12 - 3 ⇒ (11) + 12 - 3 = 20
damage: 2d6 + 7 + 9 ⇒ (6, 3) + 7 + 9 = 25;
Reflex: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30

Power Attack: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 7 - 3 = 7
damage: 2d6 + 7 + 9 ⇒ (1, 6) + 7 + 9 = 23;
Reflex: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

He loses his weapon on the third swing.


The demodand rages at seeing its fellows taken out easily, their bodies disappearing as they hit the ground ... swords clattering behind. It lunges past Magma to attack Sam with wild, forceful blows.

To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (13) + 21 = 34; HIT!; Damage: 1d6 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20
To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32; HIT!; Damage: 1d6 + 19 ⇒ (2) + 19 = 21
To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24; miss
To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23; miss
To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (20) + 21 = 41; HIT!; Crit?: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35; CRIT!; Damage: 2d6 + 18 ⇒ (3, 3) + 18 = 24
To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18
To hit sword vs Sam: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22
To bite vs Sam: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (11) + 21 = 32; Damage: 1d8 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Epik moves in to fight, but even with the demodand leaving himself open by focusing on getting around Magma, the paladin can't seem to get a strike in.

At Sam again ... I actually think that third strike against AC24 hits since you don't have shield or protection from evil up, but your AC block and active spells are stating something else, so I don't know what's what right now. In the event I'm right, take another 1d6 + 19 ⇒ (4) + 19 = 23 points of damage.


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 5/ Cleric 1/ Stalwart defender 1 (HP 156 AC 29) (Fort 19 Reflex 10 Will 11) alignment LN

move to attack the Demonand

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37 damage 2d6 + 17 ⇒ (3, 3) + 17 = 23

Reflex
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

strength

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


Male Teifling Bladebound Magus 11 (AC 29 / Hp 111/ Init +6 / Fort +12 / Ref +13 / Will +13)

Sam grunts and staggers under the onslaught and then straightens with true hatred in his eyes and in the creatures own language he curses at it and strikes back with equal rage

Cast Shocking Grasp Defensively

To Hit - 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39
Damage - 1d6 + 11 + 10 + 2d6 + 2d6 + 10d6 ⇒ (2) + 11 + 10 + (1, 4) + (6, 6) + (2, 6, 4, 6, 3, 1, 4, 6, 2, 5) = 79
Confirm Crit - 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38
Total Damage - 1d6 + 10 + 10d6 + 79 ⇒ (3) + 10 + (6, 3, 1, 3, 1, 4, 4, 3, 5, 3) + 79 = 125
Ref Save - 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23

To Hit - 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (16) + 19 = 35
Damage - 1d6 + 11 + 10 + 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (5) + 11 + 10 + (6, 2) + (1, 2) = 37
Confirm Crit - 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (4) + 19 = 23
Total Damage - 1d6 + 10 + 37 ⇒ (3) + 10 + 37 = 50
Ref Save - 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 28

To Hit - 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21
Damage - 1d6 + 11 + 10 + 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (4) + 11 + 10 + (1, 4) + (3, 6) = 39

Overcome - Spell Resistance 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

Cast Defensively DC 15 - 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Sam crushes the demon with an electrical charged stab, blowing pieces of it out its back side and then rips it again on the back swing. The otherworldy creature, still standing, ducks under a third blow, but Magma steps in an crushes its head into pulp as it straightens back up to attack Sam.

END COMBAT! You find six masterwork short swords with fiendish designs and jagged edges.

The area to the north is another giant shaft, 20 feet wide and heading down beyond the range of your light and vision.


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Note to Self: Don't piss off Sam! 125 in one attack!!

Let's gather our things and head down....Do we need to do some healing before we go? Dalamus is at 44/108


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik pries his sword from the tarry demodand and then searches the room and the bodies for anything else of interest.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

He then heals Dalamus before going to the edge of the shaft and looking down. "Nowzai, can you float us down again?"

LoH: 5d6 + 7 ⇒ (3, 6, 4, 2, 2) + 7 = 24


Male Teifling Bladebound Magus 11 (AC 29 / Hp 111/ Init +6 / Fort +12 / Ref +13 / Will +13)

That wasn't even my best hit, I had 144 on the previous round

Sam is also hurting, how is everyone else? Jenya has several Channels she can use if multiple people need healing otherwise she can use some singles

Mord'ael:
That was exquisite, well done.


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Dalamus turns to Epik "Thank you my brother, I needed that.....That demon nearly killed me in one flurry of attacks."


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

Nowzai casts detect magic and helps search the bodies and the area.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Nowzai nods to Epik's query. "I can utilize my pearl of power to recall the spell once more today."

"Before we do that, while Jenya administers healing, let me magically scout ahead first." Nowzai pulls out a scroll and casts from it. He then concentrates as his invisible eye descends into the pit.

Arcane eye...


Nowzai:

You phase out of where you are and track the arcane eye into the pit as your eyes transition into darkvision, following the eye. The sensor continues down the 20-foot wide shaft until about 110 feet down. There stuck in the western wall is a large and intricate door. It measures nine feet across completely blocks the passageway. The portal has interlocking parts made of composite materials - primarily darkwood, bone, iron, and adamantine. The door’s face has been worked into the likeness of a stylized beholder with ten eyestalks. Set into each eyestalk is a different color gemstone, and set into the large central eye is a transparent crystal the size of a human fist. The thick stone doorframe is shaped like a ring and carved with eight strange glyphs.

The left most gemstone is lit up with a gray light. The stone is cut into an intricate carving of what appears to be a man standing in a statuesque pose. It looks vaguely familiar.

Continuing down the shaft another 110 feet, the shaft ends in a short east-west corridor. The western end ends in another circular door, this one with the 4th gemstone, a lit up onyx, carved into the shape of a skeletal finger. To the east the corridor opens into a relatively empty 30-foot diameter chamber strewn with old bones, dung, and tattered bits of leather. To the north is another circular door, the right most gemstone (10th in line) is lit up. The sapphire is carved into the shape of a pair of hands. A second sapphire is carved into a box floating between the hands.

Nowzai Undercommon:

The 8 glyphs are written in Undercommon and spell out the word, OBLIVION


Male Stonechild Stonechild 4 / Fighter 5/ Cleric 1/ Stalwart defender 1 (HP 156 AC 29) (Fort 19 Reflex 10 Will 11) alignment LN

hit points 108/156

Let go we have city to save


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

Nowzai concentrates on his magical eye for a few minutes, then returns to the present.

"The shaft goes down for over two hundred feet. Approximately half way, there is a massive circular door, intricate and comprised of interlocking parts of different materials -- primarily darkwood, bone, iron, and adamantine. The door’s face has been worked into the likeness of a stylized beholder with ten eyestalks. Set into each eyestalk is a different color gemstone, and set into the large central eye is a transparent crystal the size of a human fist. The thick stone doorframe is shaped like a ring and carved with eight strange glyphs... these spell out OBLIVION in Undercommon."

"One of the eyestalk gems is lit, light gray in color. Also, the stone is cut into an intricate carving of what appears to be a man standing in a statuesque pose. It seems familiar although I cannot say why."

"At the bottom of the shaft is a short east-west corridor. The western end ends in another circular door, this one with the 4th gemstone, a lit up onyx, carved into the shape of a skeletal finger. To the east the corridor opens into a relatively empty 30-foot diameter chamber strewn with old bones, dung, and tattered bits of leather."

"Lastly, to the north is another circular door, the right most gemstone (10th in line) is lit up. The sapphire is carved into the shape of a pair of hands. A second sapphire is carved into a box floating between the hands."

After completing his description, Nowzai frowns in thought. "It seems to be a kind of puzzle, these beholder doors. Sama'el, did you encounter any similar doors or glowing gemstones during your reconnaissance upstairs?"


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik rubs his chin, "The eye gem shapes could be indicators of their effects. We should beware petrification when we approach the gem shaped as a statue."

He wipes the last of the tar from his sword. "Shall we descend and investigate further? Feather falling may not allow us to open the door. Perhaps we can lower Dalamus on a rope and he can see if he can open the door?"


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

"I thought perhaps the gems were door triggers. If indeed this is the lair of a beholder, as becomes more and more certain, the gems may require the spell energy from the beholder's eye ray to open. Or some thing along that line of thought..." He shakes his head, sighing.

"I can cast a spell of flight on Dalamus, and Sama'el can fly as well."


Male Teifling Bladebound Magus 11 (AC 29 / Hp 111/ Init +6 / Fort +12 / Ref +13 / Will +13)

"Other than the statues, and the gauth, which were on the top floor that didn't appear that anyone had been in quite some time, there was nothing in the house above that was obvious a beholder. I think it was meant that way to distract anyone who came to visit Vhalantru's house from what was going on down here"

"Should we just ignore the first door and work on the 2nd door as that will at least allow all of us to stand there and help with ideas, once we figure out the first door it might help us figure out the rest. "

"We should find a way to secure a rope here at the top and drop it down, in case something happens everyone will be able to leave"


Jenya will Channel once and see how everyone looks

Channel Heal - 4d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 5, 3) = 14


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik looks around the barren room and shakes his head. "I don't see anywhere to to secure the rope. I will anchor the rope."

He ties four 50' sections of rope together (assuming we have them) and then lashes the rope to his waist and drops it over the edge.

"I'm not opposed to bypassing the first door. It may be prudent to send Dalamus down first to ensure it is not a trap that will activate as we pass."


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

"I agree, I should head down there and check it out. The intricate door though could pose a magical trap. I may be able to identify that to be the case, but if it is, we will need help disarming it. The distance is too great to use feather fall, so flying or a rope are the only real options. I vote to fly, that way if there is something really bad down there, I can leave in a hurry"


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

Nowzai nods and casts fly on Dalamus. "Do not hesitate to retreat if you encounter something awful."


Remember that fly is a spell and a skill, now. Roll a fly skill check dalamus as well as a perception once you get down.


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

Dalamus gets +9 on his check from the spell and good maneuverability, plus his Dex modifier. He should be able to hover without needing a roll, unless DM throws out some negative modifiers.


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Fly check

1d20 + 9 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 5 = 34

I have a fly skill of 5 and a dex of 5. I only added one, because I was a little confused on the check requirements.

Perception
1d20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 17 = 32


Didn't realize Dalamus had fly skill ranks ... you have some other way of "practicing" in order to take ranks? UNless that fly skill is just the Dex bonus, which makes sense

Regardless the roll is plenty high enough. Should be fly skill (5) + half Nowzai's level which would be another 5 for a total of 10)

Dalamus floats down and successfully maintains a safe hover, without touching the door. He inspects it closely for the round, uncovering that it's an incredibly complex door mechanically and while he might be able to unlock it given some magical aid and enough time, he does discover that the door is protected with a magical trap that seems to activate on any attempts to mess with the door.

In order to disable the trap, you would need to be stable for the entire time it takes to disable it


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Before heading back up, Dalamus will inspect the floor and the walls for any traps

There are no ranks in fly, it is all Dex based

Perception
1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29

Disable Device
1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38

He will then fly to the top to report to the others what he has seen.

"I might be able to do this, but I will need some magical help, and we will have to be on the ground and steady for us to have any shot at it. We should give it a try"


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik scowls, "We can hardly be on the ground if the door is in the middle of the shaft. I suggest we do what Sam said and bypass the door. Perhaps we'll find something that will assist us behind one of the other doors. Nowzai, can you feather-fall us down?"


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Doh! I somehow missed that! Feather fall will not go far enough.
25' plus 5' per 2 levels

Tike scratch that, Dalamus will fly to the bottom of the shaft and do the search and disable rolls there.


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

Fly also grants 'good' maneuverability, which gives its own +4 bonmus to the check.

"If we have mundane means, I suggest we use them so I can preserve my bonded recall for a more daunting obstacle."


As above, good maneuverability bonus only applies to creatures with natural fly speeds, not the spell.

At the bottom of the shaft, the other doors are pretty much the same as the higher ones, with the only exceptions being the carvings and the lit gem.

Dalamus rejoins the others to report his findings.

Actions now?


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik points to the rope. "This is the only mundane means we have. And unless we can think of a better way to anchor the rope, someone needs to remain up here."

He braces himself and motions for the others to begin their descent down the rope.


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

If fly is still able to bring Dalamus to the bottom he will use that, if not he will be the first down the rope.


Male Teifling Bladebound Magus 11 (AC 29 / Hp 111/ Init +6 / Fort +12 / Ref +13 / Will +13)

Sam digs through his pack, "I have some spikes and a hammer in here, we should be able to secure this rope"

Is there a check needed for this?

Climb? - 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


Climbing a rope is DC5, you guys can all tap it with your Dex bonus these days


There is no light down there ... Epik and Jenya do not have darkvision and will either need light or be "in the dark"

You all have 220+ feet of rope? Who has what?

Assuming the party has enough rope, they descend down past the first door to the bottom floor. The rooms are still as Nowzai described earlier. (and exposed now on Roll 20 ... scroll straight down from the circular room to see where the shaft lines up on each level)


Male Teifling Bladebound Magus 11 (AC 29 / Hp 111/ Init +6 / Fort +12 / Ref +13 / Will +13)

Sam has 100' of silk rope


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Dalamus has a grappling hook and '50 of rope.

Yes, I believe we are descending all the way to the bottom and ignoring the door that we will pass


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

So, we may only have 150' of rope, depending on if Magma brought any. But, I see that Nowzai has slippers of spider climbing. Perhaps we can take turns wearing them and Dalamus can shuttle them back up using the fly spell.


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

Or we can shuttle folks down in the bag of holding.


Ok, not under any duress so either shuttle idea will work. You are leaving the end of your rope 70 feet overhead.

The party arrives safely on the ground, in the dark.

Actions?


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik draws his sword. "Somebody cast a light spell."


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2
Nowzai al'Nazari wrote:
Was it dark when I fell in the last time? If so, I'd have cast daylight ahead of time. If not, will cast it now.


And there 's light.

Still need actions.


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Now that there is light, can you illuminate the map?

Dalamus will approach one of the doors and look for traps and a means to disable any that may exist.

Disable Device
1d20 + 18 ⇒ (15) + 18 = 33


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

While Dalamus is checking the door, Nowzai will examine it closely with detect magic.


Map is illuminated, scroll down.


Male Human Wizard (Conjuror) 10 / Loremaster 2

I can see Level 1 and 2, and Epik's token. Everything else is blacked out.


Huh ... I'll check later. That doesn't make sense.


Fixed ... sorry about that.


Male Fetchling Slayer 7/ Red Mantis 5

Dalamus will examine the skeletal finger door to the west


Male Human Paladin (Oath Against Fiends) 12; AC 25, HP 126/141 (5 neg, 115), Fort +20, Ref +14, Will +17, Init +1, Greatsword +17/+12/+7(2d6+7/19-20x2)
Resources:
Spells 3/3 3/3 2/2; 3/4 smite evils (+7/+8/+7); 10/18 LH(5d6), 1/2 DB (+2)
spells:
1st: Divine Favor, Bless, Protection vs. Evil, Lessor Restoration 2nd: Resist Energy, Inheritor's Smite, Ironskin 3rd:

Epik moves to examine the other door with the hands and floating box.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

7,551 to 7,600 of 8,111 << first < prev | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Fflash's Shackled City Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.