Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master stormcrow27

Go kill the evil queen of Korvosa and get fat lootz or get dead. test


1,751 to 1,800 of 2,056 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>

Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

Merlin's in the same boat as Io. He's more likely to start interrogating than negotiating. He's waiting for more... friendly attempts to fail before he steps in


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

I'm going to go with Io and Merlin here. Heads is more the kind to step in when things get ugly. I'll let our socialite alchemist speak first.


Female Elf Magus (hexcrafter) 3 / Wizard (Primalist, transmuter) 1| AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 28/28 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Init +8| Perc +3

Hi, folks! Sorry for the delay: this past weekend was inexplicably rough for me, but I’m trying to get back to at least something like my reduced summer schedule now. Anywho, given everyone else's reservations so far, even though Machaera’s not got a Pam Isley (?) or other millionaire playgirl persona (just real aesthetic dissipation :) ) to fall back on to navigate pleasantries, she’ll do her best.

With a shake of her head to show that the door’s clear of any magic, Machaera steps through, her elven eyes taking only a moment to adjust to the dimness within and survey the scene. It’s unusual, to say the least, by a reclusive mage’s standards, and even Machaera’s reluctant travels didn’t send her far enough south to see if there’s any truth to the rumours northern Garundi indulge about Nurvatchta, for comparison. In any case, she has no real experience dealing with gangsters, spider-loving or otherwise.

It takes another moment for a bit of inspiration, but finally she draws on childhood memories of seeing tense meetings between rivals in the great hall and common rooms of the Tower of Stars, and which she’s since seen in other schools of magic everywhere.

“Ah. The man of the hour,” Machaera says with glibly insincere politeness.“I hate to intrude, but we must speak with you about our mutual Chelaxian acquaintance, Darvayne Amprei. It’s business of some import.”

She lets the stress fall on ‘business’ in a way she hopes will get Barvasi’s attention.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"Good day Gentlemen, I have come as an individual asking for some answers. Your place of business has quite a reputation around, as a Medical Professional I implore you to please allow me to study your "Pleasures" so that I may come up with a solution to the issues that are currently plaguing this city." Yanis takes a bit of a breath. "I have treated and lost a few patients to some of the "Pleasures" that you offer, I purpose with my studying that I can come up with a solution that will prevent the deaths associated with your "Pleasures". It won't take me to long I suppose and with a cure it will have people coming back for more of your "Pleasures""

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

I want to study the "Pleasures" ie. drugs so I can come up with a cure haha. Also I posted this last night but the site was funny for me so I am just getting the chance to now


Female Elf Magus (hexcrafter) 3 / Wizard (Primalist, transmuter) 1| AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 28/28 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Init +8| Perc +3

"That too," Machaera says, speaking quickly to make sure they're presenting a united front. "Call it a token of good will. After all, there's no reason not to combine business with pleasure."

She hopes the smile she pastes over her features doesn't look as false as she fears, as her stomach lurches with queasiness. That wasn't quite the direction she wanted to steer her side of the conversation, but if it does the trick...


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

Headsman stands strong and silent, eyeing Barvasi carefully.

Looks like a strong guy. That's not the expression of an overconfident thug.


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The Merlin eyes the table full of thugs, trying to pick the toughest out of the crowd in case he needs to loose an opening salvo.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Know: local: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

The thought being 'bloody the nose of the biggest baddest thug to discourage the rest from joining the fight'... if it comes to that.


@The Black Merlin, these thugs look fairly low in the underworld. They're definitely not what a boss like Barvasi would keep around to keep order. They all carry longswords some alchemical gear, leather armor and longbow with quivers of arrows at reach nearby. They're all humans of various ethnic descent..

Devargo looks at Yanis and Machaera, his eyes swiveling towards them, slowly blinking. His voice, a strong baritone, rings out "Well, well. Someone comes asking about pleasures and a Cheliaxian ambassador in the same conversation. And what, pray tell, pleasure can you offer me in return for enhancing your situation with the city?"


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

Do we still have the group telepathy from the good doctor?


Yup, same configuration as before unless Yanis changes it. He'll be able to get all of you in a couple of more levels.


Female Elf Magus (hexcrafter) 3 / Wizard (Primalist, transmuter) 1| AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 28/28 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Init +8| Perc +3

“The enhancement would be mutual,” Machaera says, trying not to let the joy of idly sparring with words go to her head. “Suffice it to say that the ambassador is not as nimble a dancer as he would like to think, and we both have an interest in making sure he doesn’t embarrass himself by stepping on the wrong toes: yours here, and those we represent in, oh, Citadel, Tower, Castle.”

She lets the idea lie there for a moment before raising a deprecating hand and offering an explanation that sweetens the deal. “Patriotism is sweet, and, of course, we all stand to lose if Amprei ensconces himself too comfortably in our midst, but there’s nothing wrong with hoping for other rewards too. As I’m sure you know, anything that could help us save him from himself is worth its weight in gold.”

“Shall we discuss measures? Of coin, or other, to ensure … satisfaction on both sides?”

I’m terrible at doublespeak. Basically, Machaera’s trying to insinuate that 1) Devargo giving us what he knows will please the powers that be, 2) get Amprei out of his hair (whatever the deal between the two is), and 3) we’ll pay. (In coin, or alchemy, or scrolls, if Machaera can provide anything of interest in the latter two categories.) She's also angling for a hint as to the price, so that the haggling can begin in earnest. Or does he just expect us to start counting out gold?

Also, just in case it's suitable under the circumstances, here’s an aid another check to try to give Yanis a bit more of an edge: Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Also, not to worry, everyone: Machaera's playing nice for now, but she won't object if we get what we came for and then decide to come back later to shut Devargo down out of a general distaste for his business. *Puts fingers delicately together and schemes, schemes, schemes.* :)


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The Merlin focuses his thoughts outwards. Bunch of no-name hired muscle. And not much of that. If it comes to violence, the Spider's the real threat. The Merlin keeps an eye on their host for any signs of an eminent attack, listening to his words in case they betray his actions.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"I Will watch your back, Thugs first then spider?" Yanis thinks.

"I could see if I can help with the hangover effects, make it so people aren't down and out so long and they are here buying more often." Yanis says


Devargo looks at the group, and says "So you help my profits, secure Korvosa's position with Cheliax, and raise your own worth in the eyes of the authorities, whichever one sent you. I'd be a fool to not take advantage of those pleasures."

"I do indeed have some information on the ambassador that's given me a fair amount of income, but all information becomes useless after a while. Let's say we set a price of fifteen hundred gold pieces for the information, and then I can make arrangements to retrieve it."


@The Black Merlin. The thugs seem to desperately seeking Devargo's goodwill, so it's doubtful they would do anything stupid to betray him and become spider bait.


Female Elf Magus (hexcrafter) 3 / Wizard (Primalist, transmuter) 1| AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 28/28 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Init +8| Perc +3

“You drive a hard bargain, sir,” Machaera says, her eyes flickering ever so briefly to the others. As I recall, she’s the only one not covered by the telepathic link. Anyway, it’s steep, but we’ve been given 2 000 gp for this, so it’s not too terrible. I’m fine with taking the deal. And if we get and deliver the information we need, well, not to put too fine a point on it, if we decide afterwards that we don’t like Devargo’s face after all, will he really have spent it all if we come back in a couple of days, possibly under cover of darkness, to make his life miserable / put him out of business?

“But haggling is so tedious. That sounds like something we both can live with,” she concludes. Even as she tactfully suggests that she expects that to be a final price, she makes a show of relaxing. “I hope it won’t inconvenience you if we avail ourselves of your hospitality while you make your arrangements. While the two of us (she indicates herself and Yanis) see where we can start to ...” What was the name of that silly barge? “… help the dragon breathe easier, as it were, I’m sure the breadth of your services might persuade us all to part with another coin or two while we wait.”

Shouldn’t take too long, I expect, but that should reassure him we’re not trying to pull “A Scandal in Bohemia” shenanigans. :)


Devargo nods and says "Straight and to the point. I admire people who know what they want. I'll grab the letters and be back in a few minutes. I hope you don't mind if I call some of my men in to make sure the transaction goes smoothly?


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The Merlin chimes in over the telepathic link. Six isn't enough? I'm feeling a double-cross coming.


HP 40/48, Martial Flexibility 5/5, Init +7, Per +9, AC 21/14/17, Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +6, 3 Harrow Points Avalanche, Demon's Lantern harrow draws

”You need more than six? That seems excessive. Both of us want this to succeed, don’t we?” Io interjects, ”I’ll be fine with it if they’re unarmed.” she says, eyes narrowing.


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

I smell a rat...

Headsman remains silent, but his frown speaks volumes.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"As my companion said more seems odd but if you feel like we are a that much of a threat I guess that is ok. Will you have someone show me later to where I am to work?" Yanis says

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

to help smooth things over


Devargo says "This lot? These are just hopefuls trying to join my organization. No, my real men keep order in the three ships of pleasure outside. I'll send this lot out to stand guard while my four enforcers come in. That way, you have the numerical advantage and no one disturbs our transaction by stumbling upon it after too much celebration."

"Hopefuls, go report to Jaxon for patrol duty and have him send in four of the Spiders. And yes, doctor, I can arrange for a workplace later once our agreement is concluded. I assume this would work out for you?"


Female Elf Magus (hexcrafter) 3 / Wizard (Primalist, transmuter) 1| AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 28/28 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Init +8| Perc +3

“I wouldn’t dream of speaking for him, but that seems quite agreeable,” Machaera offers. “I gather shiver is quite popular right now, but depending on what else is available we might be able to whip up some other profitable formulae. But at the moment, our patrons are quite anxious about the ambassador’s dealings, so I’ll have to ask you to bear with our own eagerness.”

Following Yanis’ lead, she keeps talking and holds up her empty hands in an effort to keep the peace. She adds a slight smile. “I’m sorry for the fuss. There is a lot at stake, though, as your own caution shows.”

I don’t like it either, but I’m not sure jumping him quite yet is the best solution. Shall we just give him a chance, at least as far as getting the goods goes? Proceed with caution, and if things go horribly wrong, work on getting onto the dock at least, rather than boxed in by the door?


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The Black Merlin does his best to hide his derision, grateful that half his face is covered by a mask and cowl.

I'm going to sink this scow to the bottom of the harbor. Ideally with all hands aboard. He fumes across the psychic link.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"We will in time but we have to try this way first, maybe we can find out more and then take him down." Yanis answer.

"Will you be long with getting these documents?" Yanis asks


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

I'm keeping my guard up, but I figure he's just protecting his own stakes in this too. I'd want my men as backup too, if I was in his place.


Devargo says "No, it will only be about ten minutes while I dig up the documents. My men will be here merely for security, nothing more.


So is the group agreeing to Devargo's deal?


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The Merlin is fine with it... for now


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

Headsman has no objections.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"Yes We can wait here, we have no wehre else to wait really." Yanis says.

Sorry the boards were messed up yesterday


Finally I can post this for the eighth time after the boards are fixed.... Devargo's enforcers arrive as he leaves through a door in the back of the room. They're rough but well trained men and women, mostly of Varisian or Korvosan descent. After ten minutes, Devargo comes out and hands a set of letters to Yanis.

"I believe these are what you are looking for. They've provided enough income for me, but their usefulness is over. I hope they help you gain leverage on the Ambassador. Doctor, I'll send someone around to provide samples of shiver so you can work on hangover cures. More clients are always appreciated.". Devargo looks at the group, expecting his bribe.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

Yanis takes the letters and looks them over a bit not looking up.

"Things seem to be in order, you will have a person come to my shop then?" Yanis asks.

"I think he is expecting a bribe, do we just pay him?"


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

I suppose it'd be a mark against us if we went against our word at this point. What's fair?


Female Elf Magus (hexcrafter) 3 / Wizard (Primalist, transmuter) 1| AC 18 T 14 FF 14 | HP 28/28 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Init +8| Perc +3

Silently, Machaera takes her turn glancing over the letters once Yanis is done with them, even as she counts out Devargo’s coin with her other hand. On top of not handing over any gold until they’re reasonably sure the letters are authentic, it’s all to the better for the group to have an idea of what they’re acquiring on Korvosa’s behalf. After a minute, the mage hefts a clinking purse bulging with the King of Spiders’ price.

“Excellent,” she says, simply. “Fifteen hundred gold sails, as agreed.”

Unless stopped, she’ll hand over the cash, and we can skedaddle, deliver the goods, and decide what to do about Devargo when we’re not right under his nose. :)


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

Lazily leaning against the wall, Headsman turns to Yanis.

"So, 's that what we're looking for?"

Having never been much of a reader, he makes no motion to take a look at the letters himself.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"It is yes, we will be off Master Devargo, I will await your delivery and get to work on it right away." Yanis smiles and move towards Headsman and Io


Does the party head back to the Citadel immediately, or did anyone wish to do something else before we move on?


HP 40/48, Martial Flexibility 5/5, Init +7, Per +9, AC 21/14/17, Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +6, 3 Harrow Points Avalanche, Demon's Lantern harrow draws

I think Headsman wanted to make a couple of stops, but I'm good ;)


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The quicker the party is done with this whole affair, the better for the Merlin.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

Head back and do Headmans stops long the way


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

I'm good, Headsman wouldn't want to do these kinds of stops where the party can see him, hahaha.

"... that was easy." Headsman shrugs as the party steps out of the ship.


[ooc]The group begins the trek back to the Citadel. However, it's still night, so the Citadel may not be open for business...[ooc]


The group arrives at the Citadel. The main guardpost is manned and lit by several oil lamps and alchemical lights. Several guards stand outside, aware and active.


Harrow points 4 HP 26 l AC 16 (T 12, FF 14) l F +5 R +3 W +7 l Ini +2 Perc +14 PP 17/17 l HP 26/26 (15 NL) l Transfer Wound 7/7 l Steal Health (7 dmg/Healing)

"Good day Gentlemen, we are here to deliver some papers." Yanis says as friendly as possible


Male Human Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 4 | Init +8 | Perc +7 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 26/33 | F +3 R +9 W+4 | Mwk Pistol +9 (1d8 x4 20ft Misfire: 1) Ammo 16 pepperbox 6/6 | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

The Merlin took an opportune moment to slip away and become...


Vigilante(Wildsoul/Gunmaster) 3 | Init +5 | Perc +5 | AC 18 T 14 FF 14 CMB +2 CMD 16 | HP 16/23 | F +3 R +7 W+3 | Club +2 (1d6) | Harrow Points 4 | Harrow Card The Dance

Spelbar Chunt, ill-tempered veteran of many campaigns. He adds to Yanis' explanation for their presence so late at night 'Master Orsini sent us on an urgent errand'


HP 40/49, Rage 11/11, Init +4, Per +10, AC 19/15/15 (U-D, +1 dodge with 2 adj. allies, +1 danger sense), Fort +6, Ref +5 (+1 w/ 2 adj. allies), Will +5, 3 Harrow Points (Peacock/Rabbit Prince)

Headsman, carrying some of the letters 'for safety', stands by Yanis, and shows the aforementioned papers.


The lead guardsman looks at the speakers, old, young and masked (aka Yanis), and says "Master Orsini did say someone would be along with important documentation for a case the Marshal was working on. I'll see if she is available at this moment." With that, he motions to another guard who heads into the Citadel.


After 30 minutes, Marshal Kroft comes out, looking pleased. She carries a small box with her. "Thanks for your aid at the Eel's End. We would have never caught that ruffian without your help. Here is your reward. Could I have the evidence, please?

1,751 to 1,800 of 2,056 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / First post for gameplay thread. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.