CotCT Gameplay Thread! (Inactive)

Game Master leinathan

A group of PCs brought together by a shared hatred are met with far more than just a decrepit criminal. Can they band together and save the day?

Map of Korvosa


401 to 450 of 1,824 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

"It will be done, sir!" Thaven smiles, his face flushed with pride at being given orders for the first time in a very long time indeed.


Global Buffs:

"I'm not sure of his justifications, but I do know he and the men that he's won over are holed up in an abandoned butchery called 'all the world's meat' on 3 Stirge street. I was planning to bring him back here to ask him exactly why he's chosen to abandon his post."


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

"We can do that," says Fredo. It doesn't sound like Vancaskerkin's making any sort of political statement that he would agree with, and would thus oppose suppressing, though his choice of a butcher's as headquarters is suggestive. Of what, Fredo isn't quite sure, but he supposes he'll see when they get there.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki scowls a bit, but just nods. Sounds like a vulture, preying on the chaos and trouble in the city. She nods, hiking up her armor and weapons, ready to go.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

"I keep forgetting things today," says Fredo, closing his eyes and running the fingertips of one hand across his eyebrow to his temple. "That offer of hospitality," he says, "does it apply only to us? We picked up some...dependents, orphans mostly, since the riots started. At the moment, one of our friends is looking after them, but he's just one man and thus a little overwhelmed. Do you know any place that might be willing to take them in on a more permanent basis? And can we bring them here in the meantime?"

GM:
There's a specific NPC I have in mind to take the kids in on a permanent basis. He shows up in Part Seven of this module.


Global Buffs:

Cressida looks at you with a bit of alarm before responding, "Orphans? You have...orphans under your care."

She sighs deeply before her shoulders slump and she lays a hand on her table. "I...I suppose I could find a place for them. Most of the city's orphanages won't be safe now and...and this is a good opportunity to help people.. It's going to be difficult to find someone willing to take them, though. Don't worry about it, I'll see what I can do. Bring them here in a few days and I'll have somewhere for them to go."

Goffred:
What, are you going for Thousand Bones or something? Some Shoanti adoption?


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

GM:
I don't know about adoption. I just don't think Korvosa's the best place to keep them. The NPC that appears in Part Six can also get them out of the city, but the one that appears in Part Seven can do it more easily, not to mention he'll have somewhere to take them.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Bard 1/ Cleric 1 (hp 17/21)

"Ok then. Let's go after this deserter." Nostrum said firmly, turning and again attempting to march away.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki nods, "Wastin' daylight."


Global Buffs:

The quintet starts straight off from Kroft's office, back through the castle, across its Yard, and back into the city streets, eyes fixed firmly towards 3 Stirge Street.

Thaven:
Kroft grabs your forearm as you make to leave. "Thaven Jack?" Shifting into a more comfortable conversational pose, she continues, "I should tell you that Commandant Endrin was informed of your deed for the Queen, and your commission to work here, and has given me express permission to judge whether or not you are fit for duty again. Remember that when you work for me." she lets you go after that, to follow your new compatriots.

It takes about an hour to negotiate the eerily quiet streets of Korvosa, but eventually you come to 3 Stirge street. The raucous noise issuing from somewhere on this street is the most chatter you've heard all day, and the crowd in front of one of the shopfronts is the most people you've seen together since the riots. The crowd is a line, stretching from a shopfront all the way across the street. The shopfront bears signage depicting a fat, smiling cow and the words "ALL THE WORLD'S MEAT"

An armed and armored man stands at the front of the shop, crying "Get'cher free meat here! Meat for first comer first serve! Are yeh hungry? Get'cher free meat!" and other such phrases.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki skulks along in what shadows she can find, ranging ahead of the group now and then to see what she can see in advance. She comes back once the meat line is in sight, scowling again and sure there's some catch to 'free meat'. Even in the best of times she'd never seen 'free' anything.


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven freezes when the Marshall grabs his arm and nods tensely. Inside he freezes, feeling the cold feeling of his shame and loss at war with his hope for redemption.

On the way to the meat shop, Thaven broods. Could it be this easy? Could regaining his honor and his father's good name be so close? When they arrive, he takes up a spot near to the shop to stand and watch, without trying to appear as if he is watching...

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

Fredo scowls at the sight of so many people gathered in front of the shop. "This could be a problem," he says. "Those people will fight to protect the hope this place has given them. As well they should; I don't want to be the one to take hope and food from people who need both." Fredo isn't comfortable with this situation at all. He'd given his word to Kroft, but Vancaskerkin did seem to be doing real good here. There must be a way to keep the enterprise going and bring Vancaskerkin in.

"Whatever we're going to do," he says, hoping Akiki's and Thaven's observations will reveal some way out of the dilemma, "it will have to be after they leave. Fortunately," he says, propping himself against a wall and pulling out Lamm's files to read, "or perhaps unfortunately, Verik and his men can't feed all these people, and they'll leave eventually." Fredo begins flipping back through the files from the date of Lamm's deal with Aleko, looking for more references to "destructive services" and for more deals without a name attached. If these nameless patrons of Lamm's hired him for jobs other than murder, that might reveal something about their intentions.

Linguistics to look for secret messages as well: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Global Buffs:

Goffred:
There are many deals with anonymous persons, both before and after Aleko's death, but very few of them seem to be related. There is, however, one more message that you can make out as being for "destructive services" between Gaedren and an anonymous person, even through the ink that crosses it out. It's dated just a few weeks ago, although you can't make out the exact day.

After about an hour, the crowd thins out, especially after the armed man in front cries "Okay, wurr all out! Try tomorrow."

Even as the crowd thins, one man remains and tries to go up to speak to the armed man, but looking back and forth suspiciously, (Perception DC 11: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11) he spots Thaven lurking nearby and loses his nerve, slinking away.

After the last person has given up on trying to get meat, the man retreats back into the shop, closes the door, and flips around the "OPEN" sign in the doorway to "CLOSED"

It's still mid-afternoon, just starting to move into evening.


Raijinn has no interest in waiting in line again tomorrow. He nods to the others and starts to move around the sides of the building, searching for other potential entrances. Doors, windows, a balcony, any way that they might be able to sneak in, or at least get a better idea of what is happening inside.

Searchin': 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki slinks in the opposite direction of Raijinn around the place.

Stealth!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

She keeps her eyes peeled.

Perceptin': 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

Fredo slides the papers back into his pack and the pack back onto his shoulders. "Is that necessary?" he says, raising an eyebrow as Raijin and Akiki start to sneak around the building. "We are representing authority, and are meant to be a force for cohesion and harmony in the community." He crosses the street to the front door, Cat padding along beside him, but does not knock. Despite his words, he still doesn't feel comfortable shutting this place down - or being seen to be shutting it down. If by some chance Akiki and Raijin do discover another way in, such as an open gate to a livestock pen, he'll take it.

Just for kicks, let's make sure they can't see me through the windows. Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki just eyes Goff before she heads off; of course its necessary! She is first and foremost still a rogue - and the back entrance is always best, if nothing else so that she knows a quick way out. Then she slinks.


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven steps up beside Fredo and shrugs his shoulders at Akiki. "I will guard Goffred while you perform reconnaissance."


Global Buffs:

Akiki and Raijinn circle around the two-story butchery, noting that many of the windows are boarded-up and that the building is actually fairly large. On the opposite corner, they meet by some wooden walling inside which comes the braying of animals. On the far corner of the building is a double-doored service entrance, the mud in front of which is trampled with animal tracks.

Goffred, the windows in the door are certainly very clear, and not only can you see the inside of the butchery from here, but the two men that perch on a counter can see you just as well. Across from the display of meat in the window is a counter behind which the butcher would dispense meat, and on the other wall is a wooden bench. Across from the entrance is a closed door that leads further into the butchery.

The two men that sit on the counter are very different-one a large man with bushy hair and unibrow, and the other a tall and sallow man who doesn't quite fit into the chainmail he wears. They stare at you coldly for a moment before rising and walking to the door. Opening it, the larger man says "Can't you read? We're closed. Out of meat. Shove off."


Raijinn stares incredulously at Fredo. "Regardless of who we are representing, I don't know this place, and neither do you. I don't know if they can escape out the back. I don't know how big the place it. I don't know what the layout is. Going into a situation ignorant is asking for trouble. It will take two minutes for me to learn more."


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki goes to peek at the back door, the animal part.

Perception!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

"You got it all wrong," says Fredo, letting the hinterland accent he'd suppressed throughout his academic and legal career shine through. The door is open in front of him, and he has two of Vancaskerkin's men at his disposal. There must be a way to turn this into an opportunity. If he can keep these two occupied, that's four fewer eyes that might catch a glimpse of Akiki or Raijin. "Me an' my friend here," he says as Thaven arrives, "were wonderin' how much you boys'd pay fer two nice, fat cows if'n we brought 'em by tomorrow mornin'."

Suddenly, Cat runs through the man's legs and into the shop, leaping up onto the highest shelf she can reach. "Shoot," he says, letting his surprised appreciation flow across their link, "I'm sorry. Can I come in and get 'er?"

Cat Perception - does she smell anything strange?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Cat Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Fredo Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Fredo Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Fredo Bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Fredo Appraise - is their offer reasonable? Lowball? Highball?: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven stands by Fredo, looking uncomfortable and unable to hide it. A lifetime of training as law enforcement does not an undercover agent make...

Silver Crusade

Male Human Bard 1/ Cleric 1 (hp 17/21)

Nostrum quickly picks up on Goffred's ruse and decides to back him up. Although he was standing a little way behind, he rushes up to the other two.

"Jezet, d'you let that cat get away 'gain? You know your sister'll be cryin' fer days if'n you don't bring it home fer her." Turning to the two men, Nostrum continues on from where Fredo had left off. Having worked in markets for the Brethren, Nostrum uses a complaint he once heard as the basis for his lie. "We tried a few o'er butchers today, but they're all refusing to buy just cause we'ze from Abken. Treat us like we're not Korvosan or some'ent, just 'cause we're a new settlement...". All the while, Nostrum tries to read the two men's faces to see if they're buying it.

Dice:

Bluff continued: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Know Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


Global Buffs:

Cat doesn't smell anything strange, unless you count butchered meat and blood as strange.

The men look suspiciously at one another..Sense Motive DC 17: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7 but then smile tight-lipped smiles and look back at you. "Always happy to take animal off'r other people" sneers the big one . "Yeah, we -heh- always are happy about that, aren't we Baldrago?" replies the little one.

The big one steps outside and says "We done already got our livestock shipment today, but more can uh...always...feed more people I guess. How's..." he scratches his head, trying to think of a number. "Fifteen gold a cow sound?", he finishes.

While he talks, the little guy slinks back into the shop to try and catch the cat before he gets into anything. "Gimme a minute and I'll have yer cat for ya!" he yells.

Goffred and Nostrum, you're pretty sure he has no idea how much a cow really costs, and honestly, neither do you.

Akiki, inside the door is a wooden-walled and stone-floored reception hallway for animals. A cart sits in the center of the room. One door, directly across from you and on the only stone wall in the room, leads into the butchery. Another, set in one of the wooden walls to your left, is where animal braying is emanating from.


Raijinn follows Akiki towards the back door. If she goes inside, he'll follow her.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki creeps forward to see what she can see. Can she get in there?


Global Buffs:

Well, the door is unlocked and there isn't anyone in the antechamber Akiki has discovered, so yes she can.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Schoop! In she goes! Sneaky Elf is sneaky.


Global Buffs:

Is there a particular door you'd like to check out? You're just in an empty antechamber, there are two doors here. And Raijinn is following you.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Animal sounds!


Global Buffs:

Opening the door, there are a pair of pigs and a sheep milling about within a wooden corral. The ground is muddy and wet, and the corral is actually somewhat large, being about 60 by 30 feet. There is, however, nothing of interest in this room (unless you find farm animals particularly interesting).

Dice:
cows: 1d6 - 3 ⇒ (1) - 3 = -2
pigs: 1d4 - 2 ⇒ (4) - 2 = 2
sheep: 1d4 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
sekrit: 1d3 ⇒ 1


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

Akiki peeks around at the animals, squinting a bit. Not seeing anything in particular that helps (or hinders), she creeps to check the other door.


Raijinn is somewhat uncomfortable around farm animals, especially when they roll dice, so he quickly backs out of that room to investigate the other door.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

"Aww, Sitka won't like it if'n I let someone else touch her cat," says Fredo, attempting to sidestep the big ex-guard in front of him, Baldrago. "Lemme in, I'll get 'er down." Fredo looks up at Cat and makes little "tsk"ing noises with his tongue, but his thoughts are all that she should stay where she is. So she sits down on the shelf where she's perched and begins licking her paw.

Despite his initial reservations, Baldrago's and his friend's every action makes Fredo a little more suspicious. Baldrago does not sound confident in his offer, and might not even balk at twenty gold sails per cow. To Fredo, this suggests that wherever the ex-Guards are getting their meat, they are not paying for it. Either someone is donating it to them, or they are stealing it. Their clear wariness at Fredo's attempts to get inside the shop is also suspicious, and their next action - either attempting to stop him or letting him inside, will tell him much about their purpose.


Global Buffs:

@ Front Door

The big guard puts a hand on your chest as you attempt to step past him, saying, "Hey now, big guy. Don't be actin' hasty. We'll get you your cat, don't you worry." His other hand goes to his sword pommel and he attempts to puff up his chest.
He's Scary!: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 Pretty sure you're demoralized now.

The other guard goes to grab a burlap sack and creeps ever so slowly towards Cat, his voice using not-so-comforting sounding platitudes.

@ Back Door

The door into the butchery opens to reveal a large killing floor. Implements of animal murder, bleeding racks, drying racks, tubs of hot and cold water, and another pair of guards fill this room. One is a reedy-looking, short man who is pushing a hooked up cow corpse down one of the hanging rails to the bleeding racks. The other is a large, muscular bald man with a cow hammer cleaning the floor, brushing some gore and blood and bones into a sewer grate in the room.

The balded man looks up as you enter. "Hey, you aren't supposed to be in here!" He drops his mop and pulls his cow hammer off of his back.


F Elf Rogue (Charlatan) 5

"Inspection!" Akiki says cheerfully, then slams the door shut and scoots backwards with a frantic waving at Raijinn to retreat.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Bard 1/ Cleric 1 (hp 17/21)

Nostrum steps forward and places a firm hand on the big guard's shoulder.

"We're all friends here ent we? Friends show a little hospitality. Let us in for the cat, and then we'll be on our way." Nostrum flexes his hand to pinch above the man's collar bone, an attempt to show that the guard isn't the only one with a substantial chest.

Bigger And Scarier: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


Raijinn walks backwards slowly after Akiki with one hand on his sword, waiting to see if they'll be allowed to leave or if someone is foolish enough to come after them.


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Thaven frowns at all this lying and dark looks between the party and these rogue guards. They had abandoned their posts in the middle of a disaster; they didn't deserve consideration, they deserved imprisonment. He fingered his bow and made ready to draw and load at a moment's notice.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5

Baldrago's push sends Fredo stumbling back, one step, then two. Fredo's left hand shoots out to steady himself, but the right one disappears into his robe. While it closes around its object it feels Fredo's heart, pounding hard and fast in anticipation. "I said no!" he says, a little higher and faster than he'd meant to, but still forceful and with no trace of the accent. Cat leaps from the shelf at the smaller guard, sailing over the burlap sack to claw at his thin, unprotected face. Out comes Fredo's right hand, pointing the baton of volcanic glass at the same guard. The tip flashes dark green and what looks like the light of a firefly, only brighter, spirals impossibly fast towards him, striking him between the third and fourth rib.

Someone had to let this degenerate into violence. Might as well be me.

actions:
Fredo Magic Missile damage @ smaller guard: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Cat Claw Attack @ smaller guard: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Cat Claw Damage @ smaller guard (minimum 1): 1d2 - 4 ⇒ (2) - 4 = -2
The attack roll includes a modifier for jumping from higher ground. I figured a full attack was out of the question. If you disagree, I'll roll some more dice.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
I wasn't sure if the shaken condition imposed a penalty to initiative, but I applied it anyway, just to be safe. If it doesn't, add another 2 to Fredo's roll.


Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

If Raijinn hears Fredo, he's going to go back to the door that Akiki and he had just looked through and kick it open with his sword drawn. Otherwise he'll continue following her back the way he came.


Global Buffs:

Roll for initiative. I'll give Goffred that first one for free XD

@ Front Door

The small guard staggers from the force of the quick bolt of energy that slams into him, and then flails as Cat reaches his face and leaves a quick scratch mark. The big guard quakes at Nostrum's display of prowess, but when the action begins he takes a step back and draws his sword. "Yer gonna die for that, you..you..guy." he finishes lamely.

@ Back Door

Akiki and Raijinn start to hightail it out of there, but don't make it 10 feet away from the door when the pair of guards burst out of it, hammer and crossbow in respective hands. "Come back here so's we can beat on you!", yells the balded man with the hammer.

GM Rolls:
Front Guards Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Back Guards Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24


HP 44/44; AC 17, T 14, FF 13; F+7, R+8, W+3; CMD 21; Perc +10, Init +4

Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Global Buffs:

And your first actions, please. I'll post the summary post after everyone's posted their first actions.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5
The Harrow GM wrote:
Roll for initiative. I'll give Goffred that first one for free XD

I'm going to take this to mean that my last actions took place in a surprise round and that I get to act again in round 1...

Quote:
he takes a step back and draws his sword.

...and I'm going to take this to mean that Baldrago and I are nowhere near adjacent.

Now on the floor behind the smaller guard, Cat reaches up to claw and jaw at the backs of his knees. Trusting his friends to keep Baldrago occupied, and seeing Cat still in danger, Fredo looses another dark green bolt at the smaller guard.

actions:
Fredo Magic Missile damage @ smaller guard: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Cat claw attack @ smaller guard: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Cat claw damage @ smaller guard (minimum 1): 1d2 - 4 ⇒ (1) - 4 = -3
Cat claw attack @ smaller guard: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Cat claw damage @ smaller guard (minimum 1): 1d2 - 4 ⇒ (1) - 4 = -3
Cat bite attack @ smaller guard: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Cat bite damage @ smaller guard (minimum 1): 1d3 - 4 ⇒ (1) - 4 = -3


Global Buffs:

Yes, you got the jump on 'em. You are adjacent to Baldrago, he would just take a 5-foot step away from the pair of Nostrum and you (into the building) (I assumed you were shoulder-to shoulder in the entryway) and draw his weapon.


Male Chelaxian Void Wizard 5
The Harrow GM wrote:
(I assumed you were shoulder-to shoulder in the entryway)

In my imagination, that was the case until 1) he pushed me away and 2) he stepped away from Nostrum.


Global Buffs:

Yes, seems like it. Perhaps to clarify, Nostrum and you were standing beside one another, you moved back to cast the spell, and he moved back to draw his sword.

401 to 450 of 1,824 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / CotCT Gameplay Thread! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.