Broken Towers - The Hunting of the Great White Kobold (Inactive)

Game Master JonGarrett

A brief side adventure of the Broken Towers game.



GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

It was a week after the return from Elysium that the Kobolds Belkik Kobolds came to Khalharum with a request. An attack on one of their secondary colonies, by of all creatures a White Kobold. The creature, ravenous, assaulted the food stores and killed a number of the guards. Even the colonies leader and his draconic companion were wounded in the fighting.

Having given aid to Khalharum during the assault by the Shattered Glass, the Kobolds had asked your assistance in hunting down and slaying the threat to their people. Recognizing the description, Nigrum Ensis Halfblood went forth to hunt the creature down.

Five days later, and Nigrum had tracked his prey to and old mine a day's ride from the city walls. The entrance, long sealed, had been town in a callous rage and left shattered at the entrance. From the entrance, Nigrum's eyes could see no end to the tunnel. But he knew that the Kobold would also have night vision and an equal advantage in the dark.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum felt the tracks that had lead him here. He takes a deep breath of the air coming from the cave. Trying to detect anything of note. The good thing was that he was no stranger to the dark. Nether were the Belkik kobolds that had come with him. Their enemy was his enemy and the enemy of Khalharum.

"I will lead my friends. We will bring down this dishonorable enemy. I will count on your support but do not risk yourself. You and yours have lost enough."

He draws Tsui and moves carefully into the cave. Keeping alert and moving with grace. It was odd for a single kobold to be such a terror. The Belkik were exceptional and paragons of their kind as far as he knew, yet they were threatened. Something did not seem right at all.

Nigrum takes 10/20 on perception (+11) and stealth (+11).


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

It was not hard to follow where the rampage had gone. Unfrotunately, that didn't especially help narrow down the location, as he seems to have gone rampaging from room to room. What exactly he was looking for, however, if he was looking for anything, was hard to determine.

There were three rooms before the tunnel continued. One was some kind of ore processing room, the second a room where the workers could rest and eat, the third and office. The path continued deeper into the mines, however.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum whispers to the kobolds accompanying him.

"Any idea's about this?"

He continues slowly and cautiously none the less. He wondered if this was some sort of frenzy or berserk inducing sickness of some sort.

Keep taking 10/20 on perception and stealth. Throw in survival (+13).


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Seeza, running a Light spell over the rooms, points something out. "No food, no remains of himself. Nothing broken on purpose, just rough with what he cares nothing for. Uncaring. Not angry. He hunts for something that will not hear him coming."


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum whispers as he keeps moving forward.

"Even if it can't hear him, anyone could feel all this destruction coming towards them. Unless he seeks out something that is trapped or uncaring of what goes on around them. It is quite strange for a hunter in my eyes."

As before on my way forward. ;)


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The tunnel runs to a large gallery. Trace elements of the ore once mined here linger in the walls, but most of the heavy veins have been long since removed. A dozen tunnels run off from this chamber, but only three remain open. The Kobolds trail goes up and down all three. You can head to the west, the north or the south.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum carefully studies the tracks and follows the freshest pair. Barring that he goes straight. Still taking care to watch and move carefully, he would rather catch his prey unaware. More out of concern for those he was here for rather then himself.

Taking 10/20 on survival (tracking) along with perception and stealth. One trail has to be newer then the others.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

One almost certainly is fresher...but if it is, you can't tell. The dust sits thickly, and without a breeze to disturb it, you aren't able to tell which is which. You do manage to rule out the Southern tunnel, as a foot mark crosses another and shows him heading to the others, but beyond that...


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Westward then.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The tunnel leads down a passage that was not mined out. Silver veins run through the walls, suggesting this was once in fact a Mithral mine, and perhaps worth revisiting at some point.

Towards the end you find a large chamber, apparently natural, has been breached. An odd looking machine of some kind sits in the middle of the room, coated in dust and grime. The Kobold prints lead in circle around the room, apparently looking for some thing, but he doesn't appear to be here himself.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum takes note of the machine and mine-able resources for a few moments before returning to the intersection and going northwards this time. He may as well be systematic about the search now. He had a few thoughts on what to do with the mine now that they knew of it and it's bounty but he shoves those thoughts aside for the moment. Best not to get distracted and deal with the current problem. He keeps alert and moves carefully.

Takes 20 perception/stealth the whole time.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The final passage leads deeper into the complex. It stops at interesting device - a plat form suspended above a shaft leading deeper into the earth, a series of heavy chains keeping in position. It takes only a moment to realise that the platform will allow faster travel down the shaft, but will be noisy. A second set of chains for another platform suggest where your prey has gone.

A quick examination reveals a ladder carved into the rock, also leading down. However, no light is visible from that deep in the mines, and your Darkvision doesn't allow you to be see the bottom. You have no idea if the platforms were simply to make hauling ore easier or because it was too deep to simply climb down.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Having picked up the trail and considering that their was in fact a bottom. A small plan forms in his mind. He whispers to the others.

"Triggering the platform will alert anyone or anything to our presence here. Yet taking the ladder will expose us to ambush if we are not careful. I can carry one or two of you easily and jump down into the shaft while the rest take the ladder. That should surprise anyone waiting for us and give the others a chance to come down safely while we engage them. If their is nothing then we simply wait at the bottom. Who will be coming with me as the vanguard?"

If their was anything at the bottom those that were with him could support him while he fought. Any advantage would help as he could end up being out numbered.

He has confidence in his "jumping" skills. Will he ever figure out he can fly. xP


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Well, given you're willingly jumping more than 60ft down...

Seeza and another caster of some kind step forwards. The remaining bodyguards amble towards the ladder while Seeza barks at them in draconic to remember to use ropes this time.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum makes sure they are holding on tightly and stable before he leaps down. Keeping alert for anything that may react to them.

If he makes it to the bottom without anything happening.

As the floor comes up to meet him he kicks out his legs before impact causing him to float for a moment before landing safely and quietly as he can. He takes in his surroundings carefully while waiting for the others to catch up.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The fall is significant, over a hundred feet into the earth, the second platform sitting at the bottom. Given how far you've descended in the mines, you would guess you're now nearly two hundred feet below the surface. The cold is noticeable, although your Kobold allies don't seem too bothered by it.

The bottom of the shaft has several passages, but each has only just been started and leads only a few dozen feet into the rocks. One, however, proves to be an exception. It breaks through into what appears to be a building of some kind. Worked stone blocks make up the walls, and a door sits open on the far side.

The trail you follow leads through the door.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Helping the pair that had come down with him dismount his body. He waits for the other kobolds to descend and catch up. Once they do he whispers.

"If any of you are skilled in traps and locks I would ask that you check the door. If it is safe I will open it and lead the way. Be prepared."

Should the door be deemed safe by an expert or lacking there of he enters it ready for a fight should enemies be on the other side of the door.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

One of the Kobolds approached the door and examined it. The fact the Kobolds tended to be trappers themselves seemed to help, and after a moment they opened the door.

Beyond was...well, it might have been a courtyard, once. What such was doing so deep down was anyone's guess, but flower beds full of fungus sat there now. What's left is covered in rubble, with only a thin strip and the remains of a building to the side. No obvious entrance remains, but a hole has been smashed in the thick stone work.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

He was starting to think this was a wild tengu chase. Were it not for the insistence of his kobold allies he would simply let the beastling go and get itself killed when it provoked the wrong monster of the deep. It seemed to just wonder about and given time would leave on it's own. Still he was honor bound to try until their was good reason not to. A waste of time was not reason enough, not yet at least.

"I'll lead on, as always stay alert."

He was not going to let his annoyance dull him. He moved carefully and kept alert as he moved onward through the hole. Tracking this pest.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The room beyond barely qualified as such, having long since caved in for the most part. There are signs that there were once rooms above this floor, and perhaps even more rooms that are accessible. But they aren't your concern.

Across the room is the Kobold you've been hunting, throwing aside rocks as he attempts to go deeper into the complex. Pausing as he hauled another rock as large as he, himself, was. "What? Alben is busy."


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Nigrum studies the kobold as his free hand slowly and slightly goes behind his back while he speaks. He moves it to hopefully let the kobolds know to spread out.

"You have recently attacked the Belkik Kobolds correct. Why did you do this and why are you here?"

He would rather get some information on this creatures motives. Anyways it never hurt to consider a deeper game, lately it seems almost nothing and no one isn't involved with the forces against their city.

Knowledge (Local) vs Alben: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Information is limited. There have been a number of attacks by Alden for one reason or another. He works for a group called the Baraden.

The creature grunted. "Supplies. Information. They owe it to me. All Kobold owe such to me." Alden tossed the rock aside. "And why would such as you work for them?"


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

He had seen his type before. It was pointless to keep talking to him. The only thing his type respected was those vastly more powerful.

"I do not work for the Belkik, we are allies. You will surrender and be judged for your transgressions. Or you may resist then surrender. Or die. Depending on you and those that judge you, it may not be in that order. Makes little difference to me."

He fully expected this one to attack or attempt to flee. As a bounty hunter only those that made a great effort to hide, ever even considered surrender. He studied him as he prepared for the expected reply.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Don't expect my intimidate to do much but hell why not. Demoralizing or getting a surrender via it would be advantageous. ;P


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The Kobold snorted a laugh. "No. Now go away."


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

He had admitted his crimes and refused to surrender. If the Belkik had been unable to deal with him then he was no common kobold. Their would be no mercy. Springing forward he charges through the air at Alben, bring Tsui across. He did not trust the kobold to lay some sort of trap but he trusted his ability to leap over them.

Charge vs Alben: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (18) + 21 = 391d10 + 16 + 2d6 ⇒ (10) + 16 + (4, 1) = 31


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Initiative (Alden): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Initiative (Nigrum): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Nigrum's blow dealt massive damage to the Kobold, who grunted under the assault. Sadly his response was, perhaps, predictable. He roared in ballistic rage and swung his own sword in response. Unholy power crackled down the blade in waves of fire and ice.

To Hit: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (14) + 19 = 33
Damage: 1d10 + 18 + 2d6 ⇒ (10) + 18 + (1, 1) = 30

After the swing, Alden roared again, but this time it was more like being on the recieving end of a true dragon than the the short Kobold should be able to make.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (2) + 19 = 21

Nigrum is Shaken for one round. And the 2d6 is because I added Unholy to the sword, on account of Nigrum being pretty much immune to fire or ice damage. Finally, you may have noticed Alden recieved a slight level up. I figured you'd prefer this fight last longer than 2 rounds, so...

Seeza muttered beneath his breath and made a gesutre with his staff. A blast of lightning roared out at the white Kobold.

Touch Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Damage: 5d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 2, 4, 2) = 18

Sadly the blast missed, destroying a rock behind them.

The other caster raised a hand and a bright light flared out, making Alden hiss.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Unless he has a ability. He can't attack and demoralize in the same turn. Seeing as I go before him I smack him again before he gets a chance to demoralize. Also noticed I had a crit I didn't confirm. That's what I get for typing before bed.

It had been a while sense he had be struck with such a powerful blow. Honestly he could not remember when it came from something so small at that. None the less he took all opponents seriously, more so when they stuck him like a giant. He called upon his magical crown as he focused for a deadly strike with Tsui. A longsword appears and lashing out as he brought down a slash.

Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (3) + 21 = 241d10 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25
Smite Full Tsui: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (10) + 20 = 301d10 + 28 ⇒ (10) + 28 = 38
Smite Full Tsui: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 191d10 + 28 ⇒ (10) + 28 = 38
Spiritual Weapon: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 251d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Longer then 2 rounds may kill me. xP


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Yes, the rage power Intimidating Glare. It seemed like an intimidating roar would be more in character. And that's why you have a pair of spellcasters behind you.

I'm also a touch confused how you're up to +28 damage? You get +8 for strength, another +4 for two handing, +1 for Weapon Specialisation, +1 for it being a magical weapon and +6 for Smite Evil, but that totals up to 20. The first blow should get +6 for Smiting an Evil Dragon, which I guess he counts as, but that's the best I can do.

Alben grunted under the attacks, obviously suffering heavy damage. He replied with a swing of his own, his eyes squinted against the Daylight spell.

To Hit: 1d20 + 19 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 19 - 1 = 36
Damage: 1d10 + 18 + 2d6 ⇒ (3) + 18 + (5, 3) = 29

The Kobold Oracle moved up behind Nigrum, and cast a healing spell.
Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (1, 4) + 5 = 10

Seeza called forth a small cloud, which zoomed over to Alden. Lightining crackled out with a noise like a ripsaw striking a nail.

Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Somehow the white Kobold avoided the spell, however.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

I did miss the part about it being the 1st attack to hit. So if both hit then only one would have +28 the other would be +22 as would every attack after. You forgot his study target bonus which is another +2 that should bring the total to +28. Does not help that Nigrum always "studies" someone for one reason or another. xP

Nigrum was hurt, badly. Blood was flowing over the silvery mithral armor that covered his form but he was far from done. What was the point of fighting an opponent you knew you could crush. If he was going to fall it would be with honor and no regrets, their was no shame in defeat or death. Still he was not going to make it easy, that was insulting. That was something he would never do.

"Is that all!"

He brings tsui down again then again as he makes a cross slash. Summoning another sword to lash out alongside the first.

Smite Full Tsui: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (12) + 20 = 321d10 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28
Smite Full Tsui: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 241d10 + 22 ⇒ (1) + 22 = 23
Sudden Strike: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (17) + 22 = 391d20 + 22 ⇒ (2) + 22 = 241d10 + 22 ⇒ (9) + 22 = 31
Spiritual Weapon 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 101d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Spiritual Weapon 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

HP 37/86, CoS 7/10
P.S. I may be shooting myself in the foot but fair is fair. I recall frostfire has the keen property. He just crit me with that last hit. xD


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 19 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 19 - 1 = 21
Damage: 1d10 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26

Although not all of the strikes hit home, Alben was still standing up. He swung again.

To Hit: 1d20 + 19 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 19 - 1 = 22
Damage: 1d10 + 18 ⇒ (6) + 18 = 24

The Oracle healed Nigrum once more.

Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (2, 5) + 5 = 12

Seeza continued to try and zap him.

Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 4) = 11

Electricty surged through the white Kobold.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Luck or skill he could not say. He avoided the kobold's strikes and with the healing his strength was gaining. Still he would not grow foolish at the sudden turn. Only defeat decided their fate, not a mere moment. Again he brings Tsui down followed by a cross slash.

Not only had he been amazed by the kobolds power but it's ability to take punishment was impressive as well. Had he been without allies he had no doubt the battle could have very well been over. Then again allies were a part of one's strength as well.

Smite Full Tsui: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (13) + 20 = 331d10 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25
Smite Full Tsui: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 161d10 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25
Sudden Strike: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (9) + 22 = 311d20 + 22 ⇒ (9) + 22 = 311d10 + 22 ⇒ (10) + 22 = 32
Spiritual Weapon 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Spiritual Weapon 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 111d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

HP 49/86, CoS 5/10


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

With a grunt the Kobold collapse, confusion in his eyes as he fell to the ground. The blade of his sword screamed out for a moment before the metal cracked and went silent.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

He breathes heavy as the kobold falls. It takes a moment for him to catch his breath.

"What do the Belkik wish to do with this one?"

He didn't know if they wished to bring back a body or something of the sort. While he had struck it down, those wronged were the Belkik.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

"The flesh is empty," Seeza responded with a dismissive wave, "Now he is dead he is nothing to us. Take what you wish from the corpse."


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

"I do hope no one is behind me."

With that odd choice of words Nigrum slowly and heavily falls backwards on to his back with a great thump. A bloodied and silver suit of armor laying on the floor. A moment or two passes in silence before something with in the shell stirs.

"Feels like bad sake."

He slowly rises shaking off the after effects of getting hit that hard. In the back of his mind he wondered if that's what others felt when he hit them, but quickly dismisses it. He always had a good reason. He goes about stripping the body of everything. Then pours acid over the remains to keep anything from being attracted to the corpse or growing from it's remains. He takes the skull as well, worthy enemies deserved some recognition not an unmarked grave.

"With our task done, we should leave. Quietly but on guard. Perhaps we may speak more on our alliance Seeza. We seem to keep helping each other."


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

There was no trouble leaving the mine, and the Kobolds quickly made a map of the sections of the mine that you explored. Exactly what the map was made of, and why it was white, might be better left to the imagination. With the map and the mine's location you return the city, victorious.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Show me the loot! xP

But really, going to katapesh now or something else? Is that still in the plans?


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

I wasn't sure if you wanted to roleplay that section out.


Male Cisor Slayer 6 / Champion 2 l HP 86 l AC: 29, T: 15, FF: 24 l F: +11, R: +11, W: +7 (+4 vs Poison) l Init +7 l Perception +12

Your the DM, if you think we have time. I am good with whatever you want to do. :)

Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Broken Towers - The Hunting of the Great White Kobold All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.