8574-12: Reign of Winter (Inactive)

Game Master Jason Lillis

Current Combat Map
PBP Ledger
Map of Heldren
Map of the Border Wood Region


151 to 182 of 182 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Female Human (Ulfen), NG Arctic Druid (2), HP 15/15, AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12/ CMB:+1/ CMD: 14/ Fort: +4/ Ref: +2/ Will: +7/ Ini +2 (+3 AN)/ Perception +9 (10 AN)/ Speed 30 feet/ Spells 1st 0/3/ Active conditions: none

"I would have prefered not taking anything from this poor man... But I think this debate is endless, Master Harsk, as we could discuss the subject for hours, and everyone would have a different opinion... Asta didn't take the sword out of greediness, but because she thought that it would help her to avenge the death of this man, and to save other lives, and unfortunately, what's done is done. Besides, we could return the sword to its proper owner once we saved Lady Argentea."

A small light appeared on Linge's palm.

"Let me see it, please."

Cast Detect Magic on the sword.

The druid didn't see anything, but cast her spell one more time, just in case.

Cast Detect Magic.


Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 8/8 | AC:15 | T:12 | FF:13 | CMB: +1 | CMD: 13 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30 feet

Pulling up besides Harsk, Torval takes a better look at the spot in the snow that the dwarf also seems to have noticed "It looks like a fairly large chest, I would assume that whoever is responsible for the attack on the nobles carriages brought it up here. But why would they not take it all the way back to wherever their basecamp is?"

Rolling his shoulders to loosen up, Torval tightens his hand around the reassuring heft of his spear and casts a suspicious gaze out at the surroundings before moving in closer to the chest to give it a proper inspection.

Take 20 Perception to look for traps if possible. If not, roll:
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Torval spends quite some time checking for traps around the chest, and after a few minutes, sees that there is indeed a rope underneath the snow. Following the line up into the trees, you find a spiked log camouflaged among the branches. It is rigged to sweep along the path if you step in the wrong place.

What do you do?


Fate Chips 1 Wounds 1 (Injury -1 Vigor die)

We should definitely go around this.... Kristophe offers, and he will lead the party through the woods around the trap.


Ignoring the chest, you step past and head deeper into the woods. For nearly an hour you trek along...

Save vs. Cold Weather:

Asta: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Horn: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Sven: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Torval: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

...and despite his obvious natural defenses against the cold, Sven appears to be feeling its effects more than the others.

Nonlethal Cold Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1 plus Sven is fatigued until this damage is undone by warming up.

-----

As you continue moving forward, the snow becomes increasingly deep in this part of the forest, where a windswept gully carves a path through a tree-covered ridge. A soft cascade of snow falls from an overhead branch, whump-ing softly as it strikes the ground.

GM Screen:

Perception
Asta: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Harsk: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Horn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Kristoph: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Linge: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Sven: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Torval: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Enemy: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36

You are all stunned and surprised when a white-scaled serpentine form bursts forth from a nearby pile of deep snow, launching itself at Torval with jaws wide to snap!

Bite Attack vs. Torval: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Bite Damage vs. Torval: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

It lands the bite hard, tearing deep into Torval's shoulder and causing him to pass out from the pain, tumbling into the snow.

Initiative! Animal Companions act with their Handlers:

Asta: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Harsk: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Kristoph: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Linge: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Torval: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Enemy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Enemy, Linge, Asta, Kristoph, Harsk, Torval

The draconic creature presses its advantage and speed, coiling around the limp Torval's limp form, and it dives back into a snow pile with its prey. Soft Cover

Linge responds by crying out for Horn to attack, after launching her own sling at the creature...

Sling Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Handle Animal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Horn Charge and Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

...but unfortunately their attacks just scrape off of its hide.

Just going for Theather-Of-The-Mind on this one. Describe what your PC does, and if I think it's way out of line for what's possible, we'll correct it. Right now, it's about 15 feet away from the party in deep snow (4x move cost), thus Horn's charge instead of walk. Initiative Order: Asta, Kristoph, Harsk, Torval, Enemy, Linge


Male Dwarven Cleric/1 | HP 11/11 | AC:18 | T:11 | FF:17 | CMB: +1 | CMD:+12| Fort: +6| Ref: +2| Will: +6 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20' Dwarf Cleric of Torag 1

Harsk pushes through the first five feet of snow, moving slightly closer to the thing, and he then focuses on the inner warmth, the shard that Torag left within the dwarven people.

"Vor Torag korda!" he shouts as he taps the backside of his warhammer against the anvil, the symbol of Torag he wears around his neck.

Then he drops the hammer to the snow beside his leg, and he channels his worship into his palm, filling the cup of his hand with a green brown acid, which he hurls against the serpent.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 191d3 ⇒ 3Acid Dart 1/6 per day

"Face me creature and feel the might of Torag!" the dwarvish warrior says with feeling


The acid strikes the creature in the back, biting away at its scales and causing it to hiss in pain.


Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 8/8 | AC:15 | T:12 | FF:13 | CMB: +1 | CMD: 13 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30 feet

Torval is...unconscious and dying from one attack. Damn you killer GM ;)

Stabilisation Check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11


Fate Chips 1 Wounds 1 (Injury -1 Vigor die)

Kristoph draws his longbow and fires it at the creature

Longbow vs Soft Cover AND no precise shot: 1d20 + 3 - 2 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 3 - 2 - 4 = 9
Animal Handle: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Sven Help Torval!
Sven struggles forward to engage the creature. Double Move to melee range


Female Ulfen Barbarian (breaker) 1 | HP 10/15 | AC: 15 | T: 12 | FF: 13 | CMB: +5 | CMD: 16| Fort: +5| Ref: +1 | Will: +1 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 | Speed 30'

Asta plunges into the snow, chasing after the serpent. She draws her greatsword, ready to attack the snake and save her companion.

Double move and draw greatsword.

Edit: I missed the "no charging through difficult terrain" rule, so I changed this post to reflect that.


Like I said - meatgrinder!

Torval's natural defenses come to his aid, and he manages to stop bleeding out.

Kristoph's shot goes wide into the snow, and Sven plows deep into the snow, managing to get right next to the creature.

Asta struggles against the snow, and manages to also get right next to it, though she is not able to strike at the end. Unfortunately, my suggested tactic was incorrect, you cannot charge through this level of snow.

The creature, still hissing from Harsk's painful acid attack, drops Torval and turns to the nearby Asta!

Bite Attack at Asta: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Bite Damage at Asta: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Bite Grab at Asta: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

It latches on to Asta with a powerful bite, clamping down hard and wrapping its serpentine coils around her.

Linge moves a bit closer, and points her finger while shouting a word of power that causes a bright flash of light to appear before the creature...
Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
...momentarily blinding it!

Horn roars and bites, claws, and slashes at the creature, benefitting from the creature's grappled state...
Bite Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Claw Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Claw Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Claw Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
...landing a solid claw attack on the creature's white scales.

Initiative Order: Asta, Kristoph, Harsk, Torval, Enemy, Linge


Fate Chips 1 Wounds 1 (Injury -1 Vigor die)

Kristoph fires his bow again Longbow without Precise Shotw/PBS: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 - 4 = 16 Damage?: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Sven help Horn! Handle Animal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Sven gores at the dragonesque creature Gore: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 3 + 2 = 25 the +2 is flanking, remove it if necessary Confirm?: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 2 = 15 Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Crit maybe?: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Kristoph's arrow just manages to pierce between struggling limbs, and as the creature prepares to rake it's claws down Asta's torso, Sven catches it just below the jawline with a powerful blow from his horns. The creature is impaled upon them, wriggles for a moment...

GM Screen:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

...and appears to be breathing shallowly as it lies bleeding in the snow, completely unconscious.

Torval is in a similar state - he does not appear to be dead, or getting closer to death, but is definitely unconscious.

What do you do?


Male Dwarven Cleric/1 | HP 11/11 | AC:18 | T:11 | FF:17 | CMB: +1 | CMD:+12| Fort: +6| Ref: +2| Will: +6 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20' Dwarf Cleric of Torag 1

Harsk shoves his way through the deep snow, moving adjacent to the creature and to Torval...

He brings the hammer of his god down repeatedly upon the fallen creature.
"Sorry, beast of ice, but this must be done.

bits of gore streak the silver armor of the dwarf and he then pulses out a wave of healing energy.

Coup de grace twice

1d6 ⇒ 4points of healing


Female Ulfen Barbarian (breaker) 1 | HP 10/15 | AC: 15 | T: 12 | FF: 13 | CMB: +5 | CMD: 16| Fort: +5| Ref: +1 | Will: +1 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 | Speed 30'

Asta grimaces as she steps out from the dead snake's coils. She looks to Kristophe and Harsk. "Thank you."

She inspects the wound. The bite had been deep, but Harsk's magic had partially closed it. She would live.


Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 8/8 | AC:15 | T:12 | FF:13 | CMB: +1 | CMD: 13 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30 feet

Bolting upright in to a seated position from where the savage creature had left him in the snow pile with a wheezing gasp, Torval moves to prop himself up onto one knee, placing a hand onto the ground to steady himself as he does so. Gently probing at where he was bitten with his remaining free hand, Torval's face shows stark relief as he feels at the tender wound and at his near-escape from a close brush with death.

Rising up from the ground with a pained grunt, Torval makes his way from out of the snow pile and heads back over to pick up his spear from it's current place lying in the snow where he was attacked, using it as a prop to ease himself back up before looking over to the group. "You have all saved my life. Thank you"

Preparing Cure Light Wounds formula and drinking it - 1 min

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Male Dwarven Cleric/1 | HP 11/11 | AC:18 | T:11 | FF:17 | CMB: +1 | CMD:+12| Fort: +6| Ref: +2| Will: +6 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20' Dwarf Cleric of Torag 1

"If we had been able to react faster, you would not have felt such a devastating blow...I am sorry" Harsk says, frowning...


Fate Chips 1 Wounds 1 (Injury -1 Vigor die)

Kristophe says What is it? and checks the fallen serpent. nudging it with his boot. Sven snorts nearby, looking for something to eat under the deep snow.

Kn:Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


Female Human (Ulfen), NG Arctic Druid (2), HP 15/15, AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12/ CMB:+1/ CMD: 14/ Fort: +4/ Ref: +2/ Will: +7/ Ini +2 (+3 AN)/ Perception +9 (10 AN)/ Speed 30 feet/ Spells 1st 0/3/ Active conditions: none

Linge lent a hand to Torval, and helped him to get up.

"It was our pleasure. We're a team now. You would have done the same thing for us. How do you feel now? Are you alright?"


GM Screen:

Knowledge Arcana
Asta: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14(10 Max)
Harsk: 1d20 ⇒ 10(10 Max)
Kristoph: 1d20 ⇒ 13(10 Max)
Linge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Torval: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22(10 Max)

Kristoph:
You are unfamiliar with this animal.

Linge and Torval:
You recognize this creature as a Tatzlwyrm, a type of small dragon that usually inhabits forested areas. This one is different, or has evolved differently, to have white scales instead of the typical green.

More in a bit!


Female Human (Ulfen), NG Arctic Druid (2), HP 15/15, AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12/ CMB:+1/ CMD: 14/ Fort: +4/ Ref: +2/ Will: +7/ Ini +2 (+3 AN)/ Perception +9 (10 AN)/ Speed 30 feet/ Spells 1st 0/3/ Active conditions: none
Quote:
Cast Detect Magic on the sword.

I'm sorry, but I didn't have an answer... Is it magic?

Linge frowned.

"How strange... The scales of this Tatzlwyrm are unusual. They should be green."

Are the animals under the influence of something too? If this weather is from unnatural origin, maybe it affects them too...


Male Dwarven Cleric/1 | HP 11/11 | AC:18 | T:11 | FF:17 | CMB: +1 | CMD:+12| Fort: +6| Ref: +2| Will: +6 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20' Dwarf Cleric of Torag 1

"Linge, Kristophe," Harsk says, "Do you know which way we are supposed to be headed?"

The dwarf seems to be uneasy after seeing the mutated beast, and slightly sad to have had to kill the thing


Female Human (Ulfen), NG Arctic Druid (2), HP 15/15, AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12/ CMB:+1/ CMD: 14/ Fort: +4/ Ref: +2/ Will: +7/ Ini +2 (+3 AN)/ Perception +9 (10 AN)/ Speed 30 feet/ Spells 1st 0/3/ Active conditions: none

Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

"Um... Well... Let's see..."

Survival (Horn, aid another): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Sorry, the sword is not magical.

It takes you a moment, but you do get back onto the path and begin following the trail again. You walk for nearly another hour...

COLD:

Asta: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Horn: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Sven: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Torval: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

...but those more prone to feeling the cold all shrug off its effects.

Feathered bundles and strange fetishes hang from the lowest branches of the trees in this part of the forest, swaying and shifting in the wind. All are stuck through with small pins holding pieces of leather bound around them, giving the place a rather eerie feeling.

GM Screen:

Perception
Asta: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Harsk: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Horn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Kristoph: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Linge: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Sven: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Torval: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

What do you do?


Female Ulfen Barbarian (breaker) 1 | HP 10/15 | AC: 15 | T: 12 | FF: 13 | CMB: +5 | CMD: 16| Fort: +5| Ref: +1 | Will: +1 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 | Speed 30'

Asta presses on through the fetishes unless somebody stops her. The baubles mean nothing to her.


You push on and further in...

1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
3: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

...and you are stung as a tiny arrow darts into your shoulder, and two more go whizzing past you!

Asta Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

You take only minor damage, and have to shake off a seeping cold that is coursing through your limbs. (-1 HP)

GM Screen:

Perception
Asta: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Harsk: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Horn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Kristoph: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Linge: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Sven: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Torval: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Enemy 1: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Enemy 2: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Enemy 3: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Through the trees and birds, you see three diminutive forms, none taller than Asta's forearm. They carry tiny bows, swords, and sneer evilly at you through the branches and dead crows.

Initiative:

Asta: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Harsk: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Kristoph: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Linge: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Torval: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Enemy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Enemy, Harsk, Asta, Linge, Torval, Kristoph

Each of the three creatures suddenly illuminates with the cold light of a torch, wave their hands, and additional lights suddenly appear in the trees nearby. You seem to be nearly surrounded by these tiny, illuminated humanoids! It's difficult to track the initial three, as they zip off into the branches.

Map coming up soon! My home internet has been down, and I don't have everything here at work. Will try to get it ready asap.


Male Dwarven Cleric/1 | HP 11/11 | AC:18 | T:11 | FF:17 | CMB: +1 | CMD:+12| Fort: +6| Ref: +2| Will: +6 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20' Dwarf Cleric of Torag 1

"More fell creatures! Surrender or face the might of the Forge!" Harsk bellows, moving toward the direction the creatures went in.

If the snow doesn't prevent the run action I will run for 80ft-terrain


Female Human (Ulfen), NG Arctic Druid (2), HP 15/15, AC 15/ T 13/ FF 12/ CMB:+1/ CMD: 14/ Fort: +4/ Ref: +2/ Will: +7/ Ini +2 (+3 AN)/ Perception +9 (10 AN)/ Speed 30 feet/ Spells 1st 0/3/ Active conditions: none

What knowledge check does it take to identify them? :)

Linge took her sling out, and shouted:

"We mean you no harm, but if you're attacking us, we'll be forced to defend ourselves!"

She lowered her voice, whispering something to her animal companion:

"Horn! Seek!"

Handle Animal (Seek trick, DC 15): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Female Ulfen Barbarian (breaker) 1 | HP 10/15 | AC: 15 | T: 12 | FF: 13 | CMB: +5 | CMD: 16| Fort: +5| Ref: +1 | Will: +1 | Init: +1 | Perc: +1 | Speed 30'

Asta unsheathes her sword and casts about, searching for the initial three fey.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Hi, all, sorry for my delay. Home internet is still down, making map uploading tricky. Also, my in-laws have come into town, and I'll be tied up with them until Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. Sorry for the delay on my part - I'll be back in a etter posting place soon, I hope!


Male Half-Orc Alchemist (Beastmorph) 1 | HP 8/8 | AC:15 | T:12 | FF:13 | CMB: +1 | CMD: 13 | Fort: +3 | Ref: +5 | Will: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 | Speed 30 feet

Making sure that he keeps his eyes on the creatures as they quickly flit away after making their attacks and trying to hide off in the trees to the side of the path again, Torval reaches into his belt pouch and pulls out a stoppered vial before swiftly yanking the vial open and downing the contents. Throwing the now empty vial to the ground, he shivers at the sensation of the brew as it makes it's familiar changes to his body.

Mutagen 10 min: +4 Dex, +2 Nat Armor, -2 Wis


Hi, all. Our home internet is still down, and I have limited time here at work to post. Sorry for this unexpected turn in play. I'll keep you posted on updates.

151 to 182 of 182 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / 8574-12: Reign of Winter Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.