Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

24,801 to 24,850 of 51,314 << first < prev | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | 497 | 498 | 499 | 500 | 501 | 502 | next > last >>
Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
There's a difference in the genesis of those two creatures, though. The real-world origins of the wolpertinger are more interesting and less silly than the jackalope. Furthermore, and even more important, the word "wolpertinger" is a cool word, where as "jackalope" is silly and goofy.

Hmm. Haven't found anything on the Wolpertinger other than it's Bavarian origins. No specifics. Any idea where I might find them? But I agree that sounds a lot cooler than "jackalope".

On that note... any possible way we might get a Wolpertinger miniature in the Pathfinder Battles line? Please?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Memento Mortis wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Dead serious. Monsters are serious business. That's why you haven't seen a jackalope in print yet.
I think the Wolpertinger (Pathfinder 61, pg. 87) might beg to differ.

If the wolpertinger scratches the itch of folks who want a jackalope, that's fine.

There's a difference in the genesis of those two creatures, though. The real-world origins of the wolpertinger are more interesting and less silly than the jackalope. Furthermore, and even more important, the word "wolpertinger" is a cool word, where as "jackalope" is silly and goofy.

Do you have a wolpertinger pet in WOW? It's obtainable during Brewfest.


James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

a) Seeing the popular idea of using "Arcane Mark" to writhe "Thief" or "Assassin" and similar words on a target, it is possible to change the text on the fly or you can change it only when you prepare your spells?

b) Similarly, a lot of people think that "If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible, though not necessarily understandable." mean that it will glow for all to see, so it will be a cheap way to pinpoint a invisible guy. They are right or not?

a) I wouldn't necessarily call it a "popular idea," since this is actually the first I've heard anyone doing this. Perhaps popular in a real-world region or a campaign—but remember, the game and its gamers are pretty widespread, and folks generally don't play the game the same. Is this something folks are doing a lot over in the Pathfinder Society? Anyway, the spell arcane mark is not called arcane word—it only allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, not any word you want. You can certainly change your personal rune or mark, just as easily as you can change your name, but whether or not the rest of the world acknowledges your name change depends on the world, not you. Frankly, if a spellcaster in my game tried to use this spell to write "thief" on a target (he couldn't write "assassin" since the spell limits your mark to 6 characters), I would start calling him "Thief" instead of whatever the character's real name was, just to drive home the in-game abuse of the spell.

b) Detect magic does not cause things to glow. It allows the caster to see auras. Someone watching someone else cast detect magic can't see the auras at all. If you cast detect magic and a person with an invisible rune on them is in the area of your spell, you'd detect the aura but you'd have to concentrate for 3 rounds (during which that person would need to stay in your area of observation and range of the spell) before you'd be able to detect the aura specifically coming from his or her...

In my opinion, both of those examples seem pretty cheesy to me. They'd never fly at my table. (That goes for the Arcane Mark / Spellstrike combo too.)

However, the spells Brand and Greater Brand would be more than sufficient to do what you're saying in question #1, I'd say.

It would be interesting to hear how Greater Brand in particular would function when the branded target is invisible and a melee attacker is wearing a Holy Symbol that would cause the greater brand to glow.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

James Jacobs wrote:


Wow. Feinting is hardly the same as lying. It's also a perfectly acceptable combat move. Being a paladin shouldn't bar you from being an effective combatant.

i, James. I agree with your ruling, but I know of people who rule othrwise. I've played under one such GM, and her argument went something like this:

"If a paladin announced to his enemy 'I'm going to hit your legs,' and then strike for the head, would that be lying?"

"If a paladin said that in a language he knew the opponent could understand, but which was unknown by the others watching the fight, would it be a lie?"

"If a paladin did so through gesture, such as glancing at the opponent's legs and cocking his wrist in anticipation for a low swing, would that be lying?"

I agreed that she'd made a reasonable call and continued to play.

Quote:
A GM who told me that I lost my paladinhood because I tried to feint in combat would get from me a big belly laugh, ... because a GM that does that isn't there to run a game, but to make his players not have fun.

That's a remarkably uncharitable position. It could also be a GM trying to run the game as best she can.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Memento Mortis wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
There's a difference in the genesis of those two creatures, though. The real-world origins of the wolpertinger are more interesting and less silly than the jackalope. Furthermore, and even more important, the word "wolpertinger" is a cool word, where as "jackalope" is silly and goofy.

Hmm. Haven't found anything on the Wolpertinger other than it's Bavarian origins. No specifics. Any idea where I might find them? But I agree that sounds a lot cooler than "jackalope".

On that note... any possible way we might get a Wolpertinger miniature in the Pathfinder Battles line? Please?

The fact that wolpertinger has a Bavarian origin is exactly what I was talking about. MUCH more interesting to me, and much more appropriately fantasy themed, than the jackalope's origins, which feel a lot more modern and a lot more irreverent.

In any event, the wolpertinger is unlikely to be in the Battles line because it doesn't have a strong presence in any Adventure Path, but also because it's really small and really little critters aren't good choices for prepainted minis.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LazarX wrote:
Do you have a wolpertinger pet in WOW? It's obtainable during Brewfest.

Of COURSE I do!

It doesn't come out of the box much, though. Since it can't hold a candle to my pet baby red raptor Toebiter, my emerald darter hatchling Lemondrop, my emerald whelpling Gwangi, my crystal spider Natalie, or my black bombay Shimmy!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Chris Mortika wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


Wow. Feinting is hardly the same as lying. It's also a perfectly acceptable combat move. Being a paladin shouldn't bar you from being an effective combatant.

i, James. I agree with your ruling, but I know of people who rule othrwise. I've played under one such GM, and her argument went something like this:

"If a paladin announced to his enemy 'I'm going to hit your legs,' and then strike for the head, would that be lying?"

"If a paladin said that in a language he knew the opponent could understand, but which was unknown by the others watching the fight, would it be a lie?"

"If a paladin did so through gesture, such as glancing at the opponent's legs and cocking his wrist in anticipation for a low swing, would that be lying?"

I agreed that she'd made a reasonable call and continued to play.

Quote:
A GM who told me that I lost my paladinhood because I tried to feint in combat would get from me a big belly laugh, ... because a GM that does that isn't there to run a game, but to make his players not have fun.
That's a remarkably uncharitable position. It could also be a GM trying to run the game as best she can.

And that's a GM who I wouldn't want to play with, because it's obvious to me that GM is more interested in tormenting a paladin PC than she is running a fun game.

Now... if a GM let me know at the start of a game that she was going to be that strict and restrictive on all sorts of things, I'd just not play a paladin in the first place.

And I would call limiting a paladin's options in that manner in combat to be uncharitable.

Again... if those restrictions were obvious from the start of the game... that's a whole different thing. I think that "Thou shalt not feint in combat!" is a perfectly reasonable element of a specific paladin code for a specific order of super-honorable fighters... but it's also something that you know about long before the chance to do it comes up in play.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Lucent wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Troodos wrote:
Are there any pathfinder creatures directly inspired by Slenderman?
Yes. The main one is coming up in Inner Sea Bestiary—the thin man. You can read more about these creatures RIGHT NOW by looking on page 157 of the Inner Sea World Guide and reading the entry for Nuat.

Oh my god are you serious?

I--

I am so happy.

Dead serious. Monsters are serious business. That's why you haven't seen a jackalope in print yet.

That's pretty exciting! Can you sneak a spoiler and tell us what the Thin Man's CR is? I only ask because I wrote a version of 'ole Slendy last year who was CR 22. I like my Slender Man to be a tarrasque-level baddie personally.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Lucent wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Troodos wrote:
Are there any pathfinder creatures directly inspired by Slenderman?
Yes. The main one is coming up in Inner Sea Bestiary—the thin man. You can read more about these creatures RIGHT NOW by looking on page 157 of the Inner Sea World Guide and reading the entry for Nuat.

Oh my god are you serious?

I--

I am so happy.

Dead serious. Monsters are serious business. That's why you haven't seen a jackalope in print yet.
That's pretty exciting! Can you sneak a spoiler and tell us what the Thin Man's CR is? I only ask because I wrote a version of 'ole Slendy last year who was CR 22. I like my Slender Man to be a tarrasque-level baddie personally.

First off... the Thin Man does not look at all like the Slender Man, apart from being humanoid shaped, so don't expect a suit, no face, and back tentacles.

I believe the thin man's CR is around 3 or 4.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Do you have a wolpertinger pet in WOW? It's obtainable during Brewfest.

Of COURSE I do!

It doesn't come out of the box much, though. Since it can't hold a candle to my pet baby red raptor Toebiter, my emerald darter hatchling Lemondrop, my emerald whelpling Gwangi, my crystal spider Natalie, or my black bombay Shimmy!

Maybe you'll bring it out more now that Battle Pets are an option?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Do you have a wolpertinger pet in WOW? It's obtainable during Brewfest.

Of COURSE I do!

It doesn't come out of the box much, though. Since it can't hold a candle to my pet baby red raptor Toebiter, my emerald darter hatchling Lemondrop, my emerald whelpling Gwangi, my crystal spider Natalie, or my black bombay Shimmy!

Maybe you'll bring it out more now that Battle Pets are an option?

Nope.

The fact that I listed five specific pets above is a pretty strong indication of the battle pets I favor in the game. (I have over 100 pets to choose from, in any event—my wolpertinger is one of several dozen that I'll probably never ever activate again, and gathered up only because of the collection aspect of the game.)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

a) Seeing the popular idea of using "Arcane Mark" to writhe "Thief" or "Assassin" and similar words on a target, it is possible to change the text on the fly or you can change it only when you prepare your spells?

b) Similarly, a lot of people think that "If an invisible mark is made, a detect magic spell causes it to glow and be visible, though not necessarily understandable." mean that it will glow for all to see, so it will be a cheap way to pinpoint a invisible guy. They are right or not?

a) I wouldn't necessarily call it a "popular idea," since this is actually the first I've heard anyone doing this. Perhaps popular in a real-world region or a campaign—but remember, the game and its gamers are pretty widespread, and folks generally don't play the game the same. Is this something folks are doing a lot over in the Pathfinder Society? Anyway, the spell arcane mark is not called arcane word—it only allows you to inscribe your personal rune or mark, not any word you want. You can certainly change your personal rune or mark, just as easily as you can change your name, but whether or not the rest of the world acknowledges your name change depends on the world, not you. Frankly, if a spellcaster in my game tried to use this spell to write "thief" on a target (he couldn't write "assassin" since the spell limits your mark to 6 characters), I would start calling him "Thief" instead of whatever the character's real name was, just to drive home the in-game abuse of the spell.

b) Detect magic does not cause things to glow. It allows the caster to see auras. Someone watching someone else cast detect magic can't see the auras at all. If you cast detect magic and a person with an invisible rune on them is in the area of your spell, you'd detect the aura but you'd have to concentrate for 3 rounds (during which that person would need to stay in your area of observation and range of the spell) before you'd be able to detect the aura specifically coming from his or her...

Both a) and b) were often suggested in the thread about Arcane mark and spellstrike/spell combat.

I disagree with both ideas and the earlier post was the inspiration for asking your input.

- * -

A question about another cantrip:
Prestidigitation
it is not subject to spell resistance or saving throws. It is possible to cast it beforehand and then create minor effects for 1 hour.

It seem to me that it can create a lot of embarrassment is used the right (or wrong) way on people during a social gathering.
Soiling someone garment, changing his jewellery colours so that it appear to be a fake, changing the wine flavour so that it taste like cheap vintage and so on ad libitum. Some example can be a applauded as smart playing but some seem to easy to accomplish: Look, the duke has soiled himself, he is so old that he should wear a diaper.

Isn't that a bit to strong for a cantrip?
It is really intended that people could be affected without any way to defend themselves?


James Jacobs wrote:

First off... the Thin Man does not look at all like the Slender Man, apart from being humanoid shaped, so don't expect a suit, no face, and back tentacles.

I believe the thin man's CR is around 3 or 4.

Good thing to know!

I probably won't use Thin Men as a replacement for my Slender Man then, but I can always use stats for Slender Proxies .... >: )

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Battle Oracles get the Surprising charge mystery:

"Surprising Charge (Ex): Once per day, you can move up to your speed as an immediate action. You can use this ability one additional time per day at 7th level and 15th level."

Making a Surprising Charge:
- can be a charge action or the name is a bit misleading?
- moving as an immediate action make you immune from Attacks of Opportunity?

My tentative replies are:
- no, you can't charge as charging is a full round action;
- yes, it provoke.

But I would like an opinion from someone with more experience with oracles.


Diego Rossi wrote:

Battle Oracles get the Surprising charge mystery:

"Surprising Charge (Ex): Once per day, you can move up to your speed as an immediate action. You can use this ability one additional time per day at 7th level and 15th level."

Making a Surprising Charge:
- can be a charge action or the name is a bit misleading?
- moving as an immediate action make you immune from Attacks of Opportunity?

My tentative replies are:
- no, you can't charge as charging is a full round action;
- yes, it provoke.

But I would like an opinion from someone with more experience with oracles.

I'm not James, but I'd say that you are correct on both accounts.

For the first point, no. You can't actually charge with Surprising Charge. What you can do, however, is use Surprising Charge and than actually Charge; allowing you to move up to triple your movement speed while making one attack in all. You can also charge as a standard action, moving up to your movement speed, then use your remaining move action and Surprising Charge to effectively take a full move. Believe it or not, its much more versatile on account of it not actually involving a charge attack.

Second Point, yes. It provokes normally. Most types of movement do provoke; with 5-foot steps being the only exception aside from teleportation that pops into my mind. (Heh, puns!) Despite this, you should still be able to make an Acrobatics check to move without provoking an attack of opportunity; its just not assured.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

James Jacobs wrote:


And I would call limiting a paladin's options in that manner in combat to be uncharitable.

Again... if those restrictions were obvious from the start of the game... that's a whole different thing. I think that "Thou shalt not feint in combat!" is a perfectly reasonable element of a specific paladin code for a specific order of super-honorable fighters... but it's also something that you know about long before the chance to do it comes up in play.

Sure. My apologies; I was not assuming that such a restriction would be sprung on the playe as a trap.


UE says deities differ on if getting a holy symbol tattoo is allowed.

While some (Nethys and Cayden are both yes due to apathy) are obvious

1: Norgorber?
2: Any other evil deities that wouldn't allow it?
3: Shelyn?
4: (unrelated) Is a crossblooded Sorcerer 4 "Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" or "least one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher" (she has 0 spells known, but has spell slots)?
4b: If she has heighten spell?


James Jacobs wrote:
mark kay wrote:
This is fairly quick and sorry if it's been answered before, but does a paladin who uses feint in combat break any part of his ethos to do so? The arguement seems to be that feinting someone in a duel or whatever else sort of fight is the same as lying.

Wow.

Feinting is hardly the same as lying. It's also a perfectly acceptable combat move. Being a paladin shouldn't bar you from being an effective combatant. A GM who told me that I lost my paladinhood because I tried to feint in combat would get from me a big belly laugh, and then I'd feint anyway, assuming the GM was just goofing around. And then if the GM were serious, I'd probably start looking for reasons to leave the game, because a GM that does that isn't there to run a game, but to make his players not have fun.

Thanks on the reply! It's not, I guess to note, an arguement I personally cleave to (at all), the no feinting thing, but I'd seen it floating around and figured to ask to your own view there.

.. hey, I think that's it on everything I was wanting to ask for a while. Well, barring the animal companions book coming out and there not being expanded rules for paladins and cavaliers taking up more exotic mounts like pegasi or the like (as noted in a question a while back, I'm hoping for something beyond "just take them as a cohort" as far as actually using them for something like a paladin's divine bond)


Roshan wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

I've run into a problem with several ranger archetypes and how they interact with class features that the archetypes don't replace but can no longer function. This thread was posted back in May but it hasn't seen any official response. Could you please clarify if it was intended that certain class features like Freebooter's Bane that replaces Favored Enemy but keeps Quarry or the Infiltrator's Adaptation that replaces Favored Terrain but keeps Camouflage were intentional or just errors?

Thanks,
Roshan

Bump


Pathfinder Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Roshan wrote:
Roshan wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

I've run into a problem with several ranger archetypes and how they interact with class features that the archetypes don't replace but can no longer function. This thread was posted back in May but it hasn't seen any official response. Could you please clarify if it was intended that certain class features like Freebooter's Bane that replaces Favored Enemy but keeps Quarry or the Infiltrator's Adaptation that replaces Favored Terrain but keeps Camouflage were intentional or just errors?

Thanks,
Roshan

Bump

Answered by JJ here.


James Jacobs wrote:
Pendin Fust wrote:

Mage-smith! That ties into my question about if you are interested in characters who have mundane jobs. I love to have my characters be smiths and the motivation for adventuring is to find a rare or mystical component.

James, are clockwork type things in your interest or is it crossing too much into steampunk/sci-fantasy for you?

I'm the reason there are clockworks in Golarion at all, in that I let Wolfgang put one into Rise of the Runelords, and in that I wrote the clockwork subtype for them in Inner Sea World Guide.

So... yeah, I like clockworks. Enough to make the climax of an Adventure Path be all about clockworks.

Clockworks, in my opinion, are NOT the same as steampunk or sci-fi. But I like those two elements a lot as well.

So, someone with the proper Skills and Feats could theoretically build/create a Clockwork/Steampunk Airship or Mecha?


James Jacobs wrote:
mark kay wrote:
This is fairly quick and sorry if it's been answered before, but does a paladin who uses feint in combat break any part of his ethos to do so? The arguement seems to be that feinting someone in a duel or whatever else sort of fight is the same as lying.

Wow.

Feinting is hardly the same as lying. It's also a perfectly acceptable combat move. Being a paladin shouldn't bar you from being an effective combatant. A GM who told me that I lost my paladinhood because I tried to feint in combat would get from me a big belly laugh, and then I'd feint anyway, assuming the GM was just goofing around. And then if the GM were serious, I'd probably start looking for reasons to leave the game, because a GM that does that isn't there to run a game, but to make his players not have fun.

James, unfortunately there has been at least one discussion thread where people did in fact feel that feinting was a form of deceit and thus violated paladin codes.

- Gauss


Tels wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:

Using a spell to get a higher level spell is, in a word, lame.

This is a good example of two similar rules elements that might work fine on their own but when combined together are greater than the sum of their parts.

I think that saying the spell turns half-elves into "the most powerful race for spontaneous spellcasters" is a bit of hyperbole, but it's certainly a strong choice. And a GREAT example of why any spell or effect that grants a player a temporary feat of their choice is just too good—because each time we invent a new feat, that spell becomes more powerful and versatile. We changed how polymorph spells work SPECIFICALLY to combat that same kind of problem (only with the spell getting more powerful each time a new monster is invented), so I think that the spell paragon surge basically needs to be erattaed. I'll be sending Jason an email suggesting this right after I post this message, in fact.

In the meantime, I would suggest either banning paragon surge form your game, or instead picking a small list of "bonus feats" that you can choose from when you cast the spell. THAT is going to be my suggestion to Jason... that the spell should be revised as follows:

** spoiler omitted **...

I'm glad you're letting Jason know about it. There was a little bit of a blow up about this spell when the ARG first came out, but I don't think anyone actually wanted it to get errated so no one created a thread about it.

Fish gotta swim, bird's gotta fly, player's gotta seize every chance they can to gain power

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:

A question about another cantrip:

Prestidigitation
it is not subject to spell resistance or saving throws. It is possible to cast it beforehand and then create minor effects for 1 hour.

It seem to me that it can create a lot of embarrassment is used the right (or wrong) way on people during a social gathering.
Soiling someone garment, changing his jewellery colours so that it appear to be a fake, changing the wine flavour so that it taste like cheap vintage and so on ad libitum. Some example can be a applauded as smart playing but some seem to easy to accomplish: Look, the duke has soiled himself, he is so old that he should wear a diaper.

Isn't that a bit to strong for a cantrip?
It is really intended that people could be affected without any way to defend themselves?

Prestidigitation can only be as powerful as the GM wants it to be. It's not intended to be a cheap and easy replacement for more powerful illusion spells.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Diego Rossi wrote:

Battle Oracles get the Surprising charge mystery:

"Surprising Charge (Ex): Once per day, you can move up to your speed as an immediate action. You can use this ability one additional time per day at 7th level and 15th level."

Making a Surprising Charge:
- can be a charge action or the name is a bit misleading?
- moving as an immediate action make you immune from Attacks of Opportunity?

My tentative replies are:
- no, you can't charge as charging is a full round action;
- yes, it provoke.

But I would like an opinion from someone with more experience with oracles.

Using the word "charge" in the name "Surprising Charge" can perhaps be misleading, but not if you read the whole rules section about how it works. It can mislead those who don't bother to read for full comprehension. It probably should have been called something like "Instant Travel" or something different though, I agree. But it is what it is and it's in print and not really worth errataing.

This movement does not protect you from attacks of opportunity.

A charge is not something you can do with this movement. A charge is a specific action that takes your whole round. You COULD use Surprising Charge to move yourself into a position that you then make a charge from though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

deuxhero wrote:

UE says deities differ on if getting a holy symbol tattoo is allowed.

While some (Nethys and Cayden are both yes due to apathy) are obvious

1: Norgorber?
2: Any other evil deities that wouldn't allow it?
3: Shelyn?
4: (unrelated) Is a crossblooded Sorcerer 4 "Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" or "least one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher" (she has 0 spells known, but has spell slots)?
4b: If she has heighten spell?

1) Yes

2) All of them

3) Yes

In fact, I can't think of ANY deity in Golarion that would specifically forbid a tattoo of a holy symbol.

4) Huh? Your question confused me. A sorcerer 4 can cast 2nd level spells, regardless of her bloodline. Heighten spell doesn't help you cast spells before your level would let you.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Roshan wrote:
Roshan wrote:

Dear James Jacobs,

I've run into a problem with several ranger archetypes and how they interact with class features that the archetypes don't replace but can no longer function. This thread was posted back in May but it hasn't seen any official response. Could you please clarify if it was intended that certain class features like Freebooter's Bane that replaces Favored Enemy but keeps Quarry or the Infiltrator's Adaptation that replaces Favored Terrain but keeps Camouflage were intentional or just errors?

Thanks,
Roshan

Bump

I answered that.

If you lose favored enemy but keep quarry, when you gain quarry, you just pick a favored enemy that ONLY works for quarry abilities. You don't actually HAVE favored enemy, but your quarry ability still works on whatever you chose.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Belle Mythix wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Pendin Fust wrote:

Mage-smith! That ties into my question about if you are interested in characters who have mundane jobs. I love to have my characters be smiths and the motivation for adventuring is to find a rare or mystical component.

James, are clockwork type things in your interest or is it crossing too much into steampunk/sci-fantasy for you?

I'm the reason there are clockworks in Golarion at all, in that I let Wolfgang put one into Rise of the Runelords, and in that I wrote the clockwork subtype for them in Inner Sea World Guide.

So... yeah, I like clockworks. Enough to make the climax of an Adventure Path be all about clockworks.

Clockworks, in my opinion, are NOT the same as steampunk or sci-fi. But I like those two elements a lot as well.

So, someone with the proper Skills and Feats could theoretically build/create a Clockwork/Steampunk Airship or Mecha?

If the GM lets them, yes. You'd need Craft Construct and the prerequisites at a minimum.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Gauss wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
mark kay wrote:
This is fairly quick and sorry if it's been answered before, but does a paladin who uses feint in combat break any part of his ethos to do so? The arguement seems to be that feinting someone in a duel or whatever else sort of fight is the same as lying.

Wow.

Feinting is hardly the same as lying. It's also a perfectly acceptable combat move. Being a paladin shouldn't bar you from being an effective combatant. A GM who told me that I lost my paladinhood because I tried to feint in combat would get from me a big belly laugh, and then I'd feint anyway, assuming the GM was just goofing around. And then if the GM were serious, I'd probably start looking for reasons to leave the game, because a GM that does that isn't there to run a game, but to make his players not have fun.

James, unfortunately there has been at least one discussion thread where people did in fact feel that feinting was a form of deceit and thus violated paladin codes.

- Gauss

The internet is really good at arguing and disagreeing, isn't it?

Fortunately, the game endures regardless of what sorts of house rules or rules interpretations are applied.


James Jacobs wrote:
Caoulhoun wrote:
Does striking a vampire that is at 0 hitpoints and now in gaseous form with a disrupting weapon have a chance to outright destroy it?
No. Because at 0 hit points, a gaseous vampire can no longer take damage, and is thus immune to weapons. Follow it back to its coffin, wait for its eyes to open, then smash it in the fangs.

Or booby-trap the coffin ahead of time and let that do the work for you once he reforms.

James - have you ever seen someone try a trick like that in any game you've been in? Find a vampire's coffin first, rig it to be lethal to vampires (say, filling it with holy water or rigging a stake to drive through the heart when pressure's applied to the inside of the coffin), then find the coffin's owner, beat the snot out of them so they fall unconscious and gaseous form back to their coffin, only for them to reform inside the coffin and find what the player/s left for them?


James Jacobs wrote:
Belle Mythix wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Pendin Fust wrote:

I'm the reason there are clockworks in Golarion at all, in that I let Wolfgang put one into Rise of the Runelords, and in that I wrote the clockwork subtype for them in Inner Sea World Guide.

So... yeah, I like clockworks. Enough to make the climax of an Adventure Path be all about clockworks.

Clockworks, in my opinion, are NOT the same as steampunk or sci-fi. But I like those two elements a lot as well.

So, someone with the proper Skills and Feats could theoretically build/create a Clockwork/Steampunk Airship or Mecha?

If the GM lets them, yes. You'd need Craft Construct and the prerequisites at a minimum.

Even if the Mecha is piloted? (about the Craft Construct feat).


James Jacobs wrote:
deuxhero wrote:

UE says deities differ on if getting a holy symbol tattoo is allowed.

While some (Nethys and Cayden are both yes due to apathy) are obvious

1: Norgorber?
2: Any other evil deities that wouldn't allow it?
3: Shelyn?
4: (unrelated) Is a crossblooded Sorcerer 4 "Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" or "least one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher" (she has 0 spells known, but has spell slots)?
4b: If she has heighten spell?

1) Yes

2) All of them

3) Yes

In fact, I can't think of ANY deity in Golarion that would specifically forbid a tattoo of a holy symbol.

4) Huh? Your question confused me. A sorcerer 4 can cast 2nd level spells, regardless of her bloodline. Heighten spell doesn't help you cast spells before your level would let you.

Huh, would have expected the god of secrets to object to having a permanent mark broadcasting you are his agent in plain view.

Shizuru? Tattoos have always had a heavy association with organized crime in Japan, so having a similar view in Minkai could happen.

Crossblooded is an archetype in UM. I'm referring to the fact that "A crossblooded sorcerer has one fewer spell known at each level" (a normal Sorcerer has only 1 2nd level spell known at level 4)


Who came up with the idea of Aroden, and what was the thought process behind his creation/development as part of the Pathfinder setting?


James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:
As a special purpose power, an intelligent item could spam monster summoning vii. If I want to replace that with an ability to conjure two powerful guardians/day instead of two CR 7 monsters/round, what CR should the guardians be?
I would pick something appropriate for the power level of the adventure in which you were having the weapon show up, and would then price it as appropriate.

1. Wouldn't that bump up the CR of the encounter?

"Unlike a normal staff, a staff of the magi holds 50 charges and cannot be recharged normally."

2. I don't mean recharged normally, I mean can it be "attacked" so it absorbs spells into charges?

"[The SotM is] an artifact, so it's kinda okay if it DOES let the user go berserk with power."

3. So a spell like, say, dominate monster or mass charm person or meteor swarm wouldn't be a problem?

4. How do you keep oodles of minions from bogging down the game?

5. Besides dividing the Shoanti and Varisians into militia and producer castes, respectively, how else did racism manifest in Thassilon?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Modules Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Diego Rossi wrote:

A question about another cantrip:

Prestidigitation
it is not subject to spell resistance or saving throws. It is possible to cast it beforehand and then create minor effects for 1 hour.

It seem to me that it can create a lot of embarrassment is used the right (or wrong) way on people during a social gathering.
Soiling someone garment, changing his jewellery colours so that it appear to be a fake, changing the wine flavour so that it taste like cheap vintage and so on ad libitum. Some example can be a applauded as smart playing but some seem to easy to accomplish: Look, the duke has soiled himself, he is so old that he should wear a diaper.

Isn't that a bit to strong for a cantrip?
It is really intended that people could be affected without any way to defend themselves?

Prestidigitation can only be as powerful as the GM wants it to be. It's not intended to be a cheap and easy replacement for more powerful illusion spells.

I generally play it as an effect that obviously fades by the end of the round: everyone would see the king's soiled pants clear up, the jewels restored, etc. etc.

That way you can have fun with it and entertain but you can't duplicate the effect of higher level spells.
Obviously, IANJ but that works at my table.


Dragon78 wrote:
Do the humans who were bred by that gold dragon on Hermea have any better/different racial mods, new/different racial traits, a template, etc. that would show the results of such a breeding project?

In Pathfinder Chronicles: Campaign Setting (p.79):

"Hermean NPCs
In order to represent Hermea citizens as the height of human potential, all NPCs from Hermea (regardless of their relative importance) should use the elite array for their ability scores."

Also, homophony is for words as prions are for proteins, so watch out or they'll get you.

Star Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Okay so they just use the elite array, thanks AlgaeNymph.

1)Do we get any monsters from Hermea in the Innersea Bestiary? I mean what would live on that island(other then a Gold Dragon and his people) that couldn't be found anywhere else?

2)On page 254 of the Innersea World Guide there is a picture of a multi-legged lizard, is that supposed to be a water wraith?

3)Casmaron is supposed to have a lot of psychic magic/psionics, correct? Is there any reason why they have it more then any other place?

4)When did the people of the Innersea first discover Arcadia? Who discovered it?

5)I know Kaiju can be found in Tian Xia but where did they come from? Sarusan maybe? The Darklands?

6)As for the matriachy based culture of Holomog of southern Garund, what race/ethnicity are they?

7)Xotani was stated up as a CR20 in 3.5, would he still be a CR20 now? Would it be safe to assume that each spawn of Rovagug would be a different CR ranging from CR20-25?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game, Tales Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Do you have a wolpertinger pet in WOW? It's obtainable during Brewfest.

Of COURSE I do!

It doesn't come out of the box much, though. Since it can't hold a candle to my pet baby red raptor Toebiter, my emerald darter hatchling Lemondrop, my emerald whelpling Gwangi, my crystal spider Natalie, or my black bombay Shimmy!

Maybe you'll bring it out more now that Battle Pets are an option?

Nope.

The fact that I listed five specific pets above is a pretty strong indication of the battle pets I favor in the game. (I have over 100 pets to choose from, in any event—my wolpertinger is one of several dozen that I'll probably never ever activate again, and gathered up only because of the collection aspect of the game.)

I'm currently favoring my mini pandaren monk, my Lunar Lantern, and a few named critters such as my red dragonhawk Sunfyre, Nightwing my Darnassian owl, and the warbot from the soda promotion. I'm looking forward to trying out the Darkmoon Zeppelin as an attack pet.

Sovereign Court

James Jacobs wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:

Hi James, can a barbarian have a furious amulet of mighty fists even if its natural weapons do not even have a +1 bonus?

Quote:
Furious: This ability can only be placed on a melee weapon. A furious weapon serves as a focus for its wielder's anger. When the wielder is raging or under the effect of a rage spell, the weapon's enhancement bonus is +2 better than normal.
Nope.

Sorry, nopes led to more confusion on this one for me at least. I think there is actually two questions here which I will restate as yep/nope type questions.

1) Is Furious a valid enhancement for the Amulet of Mighty Fists?
2) Must your Amulet of Mighty Fists (or any weapon) already have at least a +1 bonus for Furious to further augment it during rage?

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

Is there rules for plastic surgery and tattooing in pathfinder? If not is there a possibility for such rules to come up in the future?

Sovereign Court

Have you ever entertained the idea of another setting besides the Inner Sea?


TheLoneCleric wrote:
Have you ever entertained the idea of another setting besides the Inner Sea?

Do you mean besides Golarion? Because the Dragon Empires was released last year and is outside of the Inner Sea region.

Marathon Voter 2013

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Repairing a magic item that got sundered got a lot easier in PF due to make whole, but I find it pretty odd that the moment you have a +1 flaming weapon, you can't repair it without someone whose caster level is 20. It seems that the +1 flaming weapon will have a CL 10, since you take the highest, and you need twice the CLs as the item you're using make whole on to fix it. Am I getting that right?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

ShadowFighter88 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Caoulhoun wrote:
Does striking a vampire that is at 0 hitpoints and now in gaseous form with a disrupting weapon have a chance to outright destroy it?
No. Because at 0 hit points, a gaseous vampire can no longer take damage, and is thus immune to weapons. Follow it back to its coffin, wait for its eyes to open, then smash it in the fangs.

Or booby-trap the coffin ahead of time and let that do the work for you once he reforms.

James - have you ever seen someone try a trick like that in any game you've been in? Find a vampire's coffin first, rig it to be lethal to vampires (say, filling it with holy water or rigging a stake to drive through the heart when pressure's applied to the inside of the coffin), then find the coffin's owner, beat the snot out of them so they fall unconscious and gaseous form back to their coffin, only for them to reform inside the coffin and find what the player/s left for them?

Iv'e had players get pretty creative on how they defeat vampires, but so far, none of them have sought out the coffin first and booby trapped it. Mostly because that's pretty hard—vampires are REALLY good at hiding and defending their coffins in my games.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Belle Mythix wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Belle Mythix wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Pendin Fust wrote:

I'm the reason there are clockworks in Golarion at all, in that I let Wolfgang put one into Rise of the Runelords, and in that I wrote the clockwork subtype for them in Inner Sea World Guide.

So... yeah, I like clockworks. Enough to make the climax of an Adventure Path be all about clockworks.

Clockworks, in my opinion, are NOT the same as steampunk or sci-fi. But I like those two elements a lot as well.

So, someone with the proper Skills and Feats could theoretically build/create a Clockwork/Steampunk Airship or Mecha?

If the GM lets them, yes. You'd need Craft Construct and the prerequisites at a minimum.

Even if the Mecha is piloted? (about the Craft Construct feat).

Yup. Even then.

Liberty's Edge Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

James Jacobs wrote:
Gauss wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
mark kay wrote:
This is fairly quick and sorry if it's been answered before, but does a paladin who uses feint in combat break any part of his ethos to do so? The arguement seems to be that feinting someone in a duel or whatever else sort of fight is the same as lying.

Wow.

Feinting is hardly the same as lying. It's also a perfectly acceptable combat move. Being a paladin shouldn't bar you from being an effective combatant. A GM who told me that I lost my paladinhood because I tried to feint in combat would get from me a big belly laugh, and then I'd feint anyway, assuming the GM was just goofing around. And then if the GM were serious, I'd probably start looking for reasons to leave the game, because a GM that does that isn't there to run a game, but to make his players not have fun.

James, unfortunately there has been at least one discussion thread where people did in fact feel that feinting was a form of deceit and thus violated paladin codes.

- Gauss

The internet is really good at arguing and disagreeing, isn't it?

Fortunately, the game endures regardless of what sorts of house rules or rules interpretations are applied.

I have a single answer for these sorts of arguments:

Lawful Good does not equal Lawful Stupid.

If it does, either as dictated to the character by the GM, or by a disruptive, obstinate player trying to prohibit the fun of the game by being a moron, well... James has already cited the best answer: Do not play a paladin.


Explain to me how the various abilities that function “you can reroll, but only before the results are announced/known” go. Let us say I roll a natural one. I thus “know the results’. Thereby I can’t reroll. Or once we find out what the DC or AC is, we can no longer use this ability? How does this really work?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

deuxhero wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
deuxhero wrote:

UE says deities differ on if getting a holy symbol tattoo is allowed.

While some (Nethys and Cayden are both yes due to apathy) are obvious

1: Norgorber?
2: Any other evil deities that wouldn't allow it?
3: Shelyn?
4: (unrelated) Is a crossblooded Sorcerer 4 "Able to cast 2nd-level arcane spells" or "least one arcane spell of 2nd level or higher" (she has 0 spells known, but has spell slots)?
4b: If she has heighten spell?

1) Yes

2) All of them

3) Yes

In fact, I can't think of ANY deity in Golarion that would specifically forbid a tattoo of a holy symbol.

4) Huh? Your question confused me. A sorcerer 4 can cast 2nd level spells, regardless of her bloodline. Heighten spell doesn't help you cast spells before your level would let you.

Huh, would have expected the god of secrets to object to having a permanent mark broadcasting you are his agent in plain view.

Shizuru? Tattoos have always had a heavy association with organized crime in Japan, so having a similar view in Minkai could happen.

Crossblooded is an archetype in UM. I'm referring to the fact that "A crossblooded sorcerer has one fewer spell known at each level" (a normal Sorcerer has only 1 2nd level spell known at level 4)

Well... you don't have to tattoo yourself somewhere visible. And tattooing yourself with a symbol somewhere hidden that you can flash to others to prove your allegiance IS kinda the way secret cults worship.

As for the deities of the Dragon Empires, I'm sure there's some anti-tattoo deities there, but more because of "the purity of the body must not be marred" type beliefs. There's not really an anti-tattoo taboo in Minkai from organized crime, though. If that taboo exists anywhere, it'd be on the other side of the continent in Goka, which is too cosmopolitan for a taboo like that to really gain much momentum anyway.

Ah, now the question makes sense. Correct—since a crossblooded sorcerer knows one fewer spell at each level, that means that the point at which she gains new spell levels is delayed by an experience level. She can't cast 2nd level spells until 5th level, can't cast 3rd level spells until 7th level, and so on. Essentially, she's suffering a similar drawback as if she had multiclassed into another class for 1 level—her crossblooded powers are "multiclassed bloodlines" that delay her spell gaining by about a level.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Filby Pott wrote:
Who came up with the idea of Aroden, and what was the thought process behind his creation/development as part of the Pathfinder setting?

Erik Mona.

The point of having the god of humanity die was to give Golarion a unique and interesting element that sets it apart from other D&D style campaign settings. There's a lot of other things at play there too (such as without one single obvious deity, now humans start spreading out to worship a lot of other deities; or that Aroden's death triggers the loss of trust in prophecies [prophecy being a writing crutch that Paizo finds cliche and lazy in fantasy stories these days]; or that it allows us to have a nation like Cheliax do an about-face into diabolism; or that it symbolizes the introduction of player characters into the setting; and so on).

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AlgaeNymph wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
AlgaeNymph wrote:
As a special purpose power, an intelligent item could spam monster summoning vii. If I want to replace that with an ability to conjure two powerful guardians/day instead of two CR 7 monsters/round, what CR should the guardians be?
I would pick something appropriate for the power level of the adventure in which you were having the weapon show up, and would then price it as appropriate.

1. Wouldn't that bump up the CR of the encounter?

"Unlike a normal staff, a staff of the magi holds 50 charges and cannot be recharged normally."

2. I don't mean recharged normally, I mean can it be "attacked" so it absorbs spells into charges?

"[The SotM is] an artifact, so it's kinda okay if it DOES let the user go berserk with power."

3. So a spell like, say, dominate monster or mass charm person or meteor swarm wouldn't be a problem?

4. How do you keep oodles of minions from bogging down the game?

5. Besides dividing the Shoanti and Varisians into militia and producer castes, respectively, how else did racism manifest in Thassilon?

1) Nope. You'd have to price this adjustment to the sword's power as appropriate, and the creature wielding the sword in battle would still have to be able to afford the sword as according to its treasure or NPC wealth expectations. If you price the sword out of what that NPC could afford, you'd either have to lessen the ability's power until the NPC could afford it, or you'd have to make the NPC more powerful. In THAT case, the CR would go up, but not because the sword was powerful—it goes up because the NPC who could wield the sword has to be more powerful.

2) It can be recharged by deliberately casting spells at its wielder who can then try to absorb them to recharge it.

3) I answer a LOT of questions here and elsewhere on the boards, and it helps me answer questions by not assuming I understand all acronyms—please spell out what "SotM" refers to here, and perhaps remind me why or how this SotM might interact with 9th level spells...

4) By limiting the number of minions that are "on screen" to 12 or so at a time, and having more come in to the battle in waves. Or by not bothering to have players roll damage if they hit, and just saying one hit kills them automatically. Or by accepting the fact that now and then, a big fight where the PCs fight a lot of foes is not "bogging down the game" but presenting a specific type of encounter that should not be used that often because it would get boring.

5) Racism wasn't the main thing that plagued Thassilon. Classist stuff—the rich and powerful oppressing the poor was a bigger defining struggle for the empire.

24,801 to 24,850 of 51,314 << first < prev | 492 | 493 | 494 | 495 | 496 | 497 | 498 | 499 | 500 | 501 | 502 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.