Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Meyanda

Orthos's page

RPG Superstar 2013 Marathon Voter, 2014 Marathon Voter. Pathfinder Society Member. 15,953 posts (21,634 including aliases). 12 reviews. 4 lists. 1 wishlist. 109 aliases.


1 to 50 of 3,148 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Neuromancer.

Dang this stuff is trippy. Something about either the book, or the plot, or the setting makes my head spin.

Fun read though. The two sequels are on deck next.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lilith wrote:
bugleyman wrote:
Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:
I was born in '91.

*Boggle*

Wow, is my spot in the old folk's home ready yet? :P

Right there with you buddy. >.>

91 is when my baby sister was born <_<

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jiggy wrote:
Pizza soup.

... recipe?

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh I know it's not all of you guys. But there have been some who have come out and said they have no interest in a point-based casting system.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hail Eris! ... wait... no, I'm okay with this. Hail Eris!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kthulhu wrote:
I still think Paizo could have saved a LOT of development time, and managed to put out a better balanced system by just licensing Ultimate Psionics as an official Pathfinder book.

Possibly, but when quite a few of your developers have stated on multiple occasions that they're not fond of the system, it's kind of an inevitability that they'd avoid it.

Same issue with DSP's other product, Path of War. Paizo devs (some, not all) have on more than one occasion stated their dislike for Book of Nine Swords. Thus it was a pretty safe bet to never expect a system like that from Paizo. Hence a third-party company like DSP, with developers like ErrantX who ARE fans of that system, being the ones to come up with a Pathfinder expansion/upgrade/conversion/inspired-by product.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I honestly don't see many people who already use Dreamscarred's system suddenly dropping it to pick up Paizo's. Those who like both will likely use them side-by-side, no different than having Psions and Wizards in the same world. Those who don't will leave them untouched. And those who don't like DSP's take will either pick up Paizo's if they like it or ignore it if not.

A few people will latch onto it due to being a first-party contribution; these will be the PFS players and the people whose GMs are restrictive to Paizo-content-only and reflexively screech at the mere mention of "third party".

There'll be the usual bouts of forum griping, of course, but in the end status quo will, for the most part, be maintained.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Ssalarn wrote:

I expect Occult Mysteries to be amazing though, because so many of the people at Paizo love the concept. They've been planning and ruminating on something they love and are excited about, and love is where the real magic comes from.

Fear not, your damning praise will be quickly silenced by all the "ha ha Failzo hates point-based psionics so they're giving us another vancian system where casters rule and martials drool' people ;-)

LSfgpowda8ylkv;glkashdf;alsdfjalsgdahdflk!!!!! GWARGH!!!!

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

If they do, the majority of my reason for wanting to go see the movie will cease to exist.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Once again another thread where you clearly have no interest in actually getting assistance or recommendations and are just here to vent and yell at Paizo.

I have better things to read with my time. Goodbye.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I know OF TTU, though I've never visited. Downtown is a place I avoid like the plague - I've had to go twice, once to visit a temp agency and once to settle a traffic ticket. Hopefully never again =)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vincent Takeda wrote:
Fort Oglethorpe sounds more like a pathfinder location than it does a place in real life.

I know right? Even better when people ask me where I live specifically I can with a perfectly straight face say "Off the Battlefield". (Battlefield Parkway is the local name for the state road that cuts through the area, named for starting near a Civil War battlefield memorial site.)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Northern Georgia? Sweet! Which part?

(I lived way down south in Waycross for a while, but I also lived in North Carolina for a while, and traveled from Florida to NC/Tennessee often enough to get to know the area a bit. You wouldn't know it from my accent, however...)

Fort Oglethorpe. Just moved from Chattanooga, where I still work.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

^ true that =D ^

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Heh well my main obstruction to playing the game is A) Finding it in my boxes, since I just moved, and B) not having a PS1/2 at the moment, something I plan to rectify around Christmastime if all goes well.

Unfortunately Ocala's a bit too far for me, I'm in northern Georgia ;) I'm on Skype myself sadly as well, but Roll20's something I've meant to look into for quite some time so that might be an option =)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I am so glad I don't have this problem.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Coridan wrote:
Seven Days to the Grave is the best AP adventure period.

Having not run or played it - YET! CotCT is on my scheduled to-do list, after we finish Kingmaker and run Savage Tide - I definitely still have to put it in at the very least the top five. It's clear, concise, filled with great roleplaying opportunity, extensively researched, and all in all one of the best stories and chapters Paizo has EVER produced.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Amazon

Dunno if you can get it somewhere in PDF.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Eat sword!!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was planning to, but the timing of the contest was too close to my moving time and I didn't have much free time to work on anything that wasn't taken up by KM prep. Good luck for the participants =)

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah I have those forums triangled up for a reason >_>

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Skeld wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
so what was your gateway Adventure Path and what one kept you hooked after the first one?

Savage Tide. Once I bought into STAP, I started up a Pathfinder AP sub sight-unseen.

-Skeld

Minus the subbing (I don't use physical copies so a sub does nothing for me), this. Started with STAP, then moved on to Kingmaker. Will be trying a second attempt at STAP once KM is done.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Simon Legrande wrote:
Is it really necessary to jump in and tell someone you'll never meet that they're doing it wrong if they never asked for input?
Simon Legrande wrote:
True that. I guess it will have to be enough to have a good laugh at the self-righteous knicker twisting that goes on.

Every time I see posts like this, I always wonder "would the same complaint have come up if the complainer agreed with the input?"

And since nine times out of ten the answer is no, because invariably most people don't complain about the input of things they support, is there any real difference between the inputter's contribution and the complainer's? They both reach the same goal of "adding a voice of support to the things I like and a voice of contrition against the things I don't".

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:
Pan wrote:
I want Pannekoeken!
I want aebelskivers.

NGAAAAAAAAUGH! I WANTS! I haven't had aebelskivers in YEARS.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Bill Dunn wrote:
Jiggy wrote:


I've never seen anyone try to get away with less. Ever. Rather, what you describe here is the group of people who are feeling (accurately or not) pointed at when certain posters talk about people who don't care about roleplaying.
I've seen it and didn't like it, so that's why I push any player trying that to do more when I run games.

I'm with Jiggy, I've never had this sort of problem. So it's utterly bizarre to see people talking about things like this, and even more bizarre to see people explain that no, it's not just a strawman, there actually ARE players like this.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

This is hilarious. There's clearly some issue of communication in this thread. It's like some people are reading in a completely different language or something.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
the secret fire wrote:
Albatoonoe wrote:
This is a game about escapism (and fun). Why would you punish people for their real life faults? It seems like you are missing the point.
Bad roleplaying breaks the immersion and takes away from the fun of the other players, to the extent that they care. I gather that not everybody cares. Some folks just want to "diplomacy people", punch faces and count loot. Every table is different.

>>>--THE POINT-->

.

.

.

.

.

--Your Head--

And that's not even getting into your excessively dismissive tone.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
JCAB wrote:
Orthos wrote:
JCAB wrote:
I either impose a -8 to -2 penalty to their rolls, or grant a +2 or +4 circumstance bonus.
Any particular reason the penalty is so much lower than the bonus is high?
Yes, I personally think that granting too large bonuses tend to break the mechanics worse, than imposing large penalties do. YMMV. Also, my real life experiences tell me that people usually react more strongly to "dealbreakers" than to "perfect arguments". Again, YMMV. Regardless, such numbers are entirely arbitary and as long as penalties and bonuses are applied fairly, my experience is that players do not care overly about the exact size of the modifier. In actual play I will almost exclusively grant +2 or -2 to rolls and only pull out the +4 or -8 if a player either blows the entire table away with awesome RP or so utterly misreads the NPC that what they what their character to say only can be understood as a mortal insult.

I personally just don't consider it fair. If it was -4 vs +4 I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jiggy wrote:
I can't stop laughing at the fact that you have an avatar for that alias.

It used to be just the avatar of the hand with the tattoo on the back, but when the new avatars came in and this guy showed up I couldn't resist changing it.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah that's pretty much the opposite of me. I can't stand Game of Thrones because I think it's too realistic. Scumbag backstabbing politics is the name of the game on historical earth. Why in hell would I want that in my escapist game/story?

What I want out of my games is more Final Fantasy - where there's evil in the world and the job of the PCs is to be the guy who runs up and kicks it in the teeth.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
the secret fire wrote:
Jiggy wrote:
the secret fire wrote:

To me, if the roleplaying side of the game is completely abstracted to dice rolls and modifiers, it ceases to be a roleplaying game. Play however you want, but I have been known to greet statements like "I use diplomacy" with -20 penalties to the roll and hand out similarly large bonuses for great roleplaying, even from otherwise socially inept characters.

I honestly don't understand why people would want to subsume the roleplaying half of the game into the mechanics, but I gather that some people do. To each his own, I suppose.

You literally just labeled the imagining of being a different person as not roleplaying.
Lol...you literally don't know what "literally" means.

. . . . .

Qadira

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Aww now look, ya got 'im started again!

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Because sometimes people want to play something they're not.

Shadow Lodge

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Thehigher cause wrote:
TheJayde wrote:
BigDTBone wrote:

There is absolutely no one better to judge the acceptable level of quality than the consumer.

I dont know if that's true.

The consumer as a whole is a broad term. The bigger the consumer base, the more base the product must be to appeal to the broadest group of people. Appealing to consumers on a broad level tends to make things dumbed down and uninteresting.

The Consumer is ultimately a big o' ball of bi-polarity. Too many people want one thing. I think its best if the product is simmply based on the image of what the devs think it should be, and that the community hopefully agrees enough to keep the company afloat.

How can that not be true??

Because the Customer is NOT Always Right.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

*headdesk* We've come back to the exact same point where this conversation started.

I'm out. I'm not riding this merry-go-round again.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I remember those books from when I was a kid.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yes. I prefer my BBEGs to be much, much more tactically savvy than that, and to have read the Evil Overlord List a few times and actually paid attention to what it says.

I'd say the REASON he killed them easily after they carved their way through his hordes is because the Demon Lord LEARNED about the enemy, learned their tactics, learned their weaknesses, and EXPLOITED THE HELL OUT OF THEM when they finally met. Not just stood there laughing and betting they couldn't lay a scratch on him.

We'll have to disagree on this.

And ninja'd by the Captain. Yeah also what he said.

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Mornings are never Good-aligned. Some are Neutral at best, but their statblock rightfully says "usually Evil (any)".


3 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

my feelings exactly Orthos!

(get out of my head! Its overcrowded as it is)

I can get someone in for cleanup. Just step into this machine here....

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
snickersimba wrote:
Listen, murdering a player character because they are freaking annoying is NOT wrong. Give the little s+%+ a few warnings, tell him what hes doing wrong and if he continues,murder his character. I see NOTHING wrong with showing a person what happens when you piss people off repeatedly. Don't let him back into your game untill he knows the pathfinder lore,I would NEVER tolerate someone like that for more than six seconds.

People like you are why we can't have nice things.

Shadow Lodge

10 people marked this as a favorite.
Drogon wrote:

I disagree about how small the gaming "pond" is. But seeing as most gaming companies are privately held and therefore do not release sales figures (and I don't blame them - I won't tell you mine, either), I can't point at any numbers to refute you.

Regardless, the World's Leading Game Company is not a small gaming company of any sort.

They may not be a small gaming company, but gaming companies in general - and the profit margins thereof - are not large. Case in point. "Big Fish of a Small Pond" could not BE more accurate.

Drogon wrote:
Ssalarn wrote:
...this is less about Paizo slipping, and more about the fact that they are a small gaming company whose popularity is still on the rise.

Bolding mine.

I personally think the problem is that Paizo think of themselves as a "small" gaming company, as do many others - it is actually a cherished aspect of their identity.

....

I would have liked to see them toss the word "small" in the trash and replace it with "World's Leading." That would have been something truly remarkable to behold, and this thread wouldn't exist, methinks.

And I couldn't disagree with you more.

The fact that Paizo still has that small-business mindset is one of the things I love most about the company. Because almost universally, once companies and corporations stop thinking of themselves as small fish, it turns out poorly for the customer.

I can't think of any large company that involves itself with the fans and customers the way Paizo's development teams do. And I tie that 100% to their small business mindset.

So no, nothing would bother me more than to see Paizo drop that core part of who and what they are by the wayside in favor of trying to make themselves appear "remarkable to behold". Because as far as I'm concerned, that will never end well. Especially for us.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
Orthos wrote:
LordSynos wrote:
Orthos wrote:
For LordSynos
FF VII, A Cappella, and cats? This is just full of win. :D
Smooth McGroove is probably one of my favorite things on YouTube. This is actually the fourth FFVII song he's done - he's also done the battle theme, the victory theme, and J-E-N-O-V-A.
Wait, there's more? O.o I'm so used to being linked on singular videos, I've forgotten channels were a thing. Must check back in again later.

Yup, lots more. He has a pretty wide array - he's done lots of RPG stuff (Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Golden Sun, a few others), as well as a few other things - mostly your standard Nintendo stuff (Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, etc.), as he tends to focus on the NES/SNES/early PS1 era - I think the only songs he's done for more advanced systems than that is one thing from FFX. (GBA is relatively close to SNES in sound quality so I don't count that.)

He did an interview once where he explained that the older games' music is easier to do because of less sound channels in the older music processors. Previously he was putting out a song a week, barring extenuating circumstances like being away from home or being sick. OWA took about a month and a half, and just from watching the video itself you can easily tell it's the most complex thing he's ever done.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LordSynos wrote:
Orthos wrote:
For LordSynos
FF VII, A Cappella, and cats? This is just full of win. :D

Smooth McGroove is probably one of my favorite things on YouTube. This is actually the fourth FFVII song he's done - he's also done the battle theme, the victory theme, and J-E-N-O-V-A.

Quote:
Might just say spoiler warning for FF VII though, it is the ** spoiler omitted ** after all.

As old as the game is, I don't really think there's many people around who haven't already been spoiled ;)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Alternatively it might be something that could be pitched to a 3pp. Legendary Games already does their "Adventure Path Plugins" line; this could be a spinoff of that.

Can I get a link to Alexander's thread? Never seen it before.

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Sense Motive: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (8) - 2 = 6

Seems legit!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

His Evil Twin!?! (DUN DUN DUNNNNNN)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Mew?

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Close, it's "M'NAAAARRRR" =)

Shadow Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I know Richard Pett is a shoo-in for Option D =)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Templates are your best friend, believe me. I have so many books of templates it's not even funny. And a bookmark straight to the Templates page on PFSRD.

1 to 50 of 3,148 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.