Deep 6 FaWtL


Off-Topic Discussions

272,351 to 272,400 of 273,026 << first < prev | 5443 | 5444 | 5445 | 5446 | 5447 | 5448 | 5449 | 5450 | 5451 | 5452 | 5453 | next > last >>

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Clothed post:

Hermione is eleven today.

Eleven. This is so weird.
She keeps reminding me that, if there is any justice in the world, her Hogwarts letter will arrive by owl today.
I keep telling her that Mama can't deal with the thought of her moving to Scotland.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
lisamarlene wrote:

Clothed post:

Hermione is eleven today.

Eleven. This is so weird.
She keeps reminding me that, if there is any justice in the world, her Hogwarts letter will arrive by owl today.
I keep telling her that Mama can't deal with the thought of her moving to Scotland.

That's when you say "Mine too!".


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I love my kids' kind-heartedness and generosity.

I question their ability to think through their asks.

One of their high school friends wants to move back to the Bay Area. He has no income, no family here, and no way to support himself. So the kids are grouping together to try to find him a rent-free, free room and board domicile for the next full year. And they asked whether we'd be willing to host him.

Financials aside, let's look at the house:
- Foyer/Living Room/Dining Room: Where I work, where we game, where we gather to watch TV, etc. I don't want someone living on my sofa for even a week, much less a year.
- Kitchen/hallway/bathroom. Nope. Not a reasonable living space.
- Garage. Nope. Not legal living space, and Impus Major is already cramped in there.
- Our bedroom. Nope.
- Impus Minor's room. I told him that this was the only possibility, and given that he's already constantly complaining about how small it is, adding a second person would be ridiculous.
- The studio. GothBard's work area and refuge. She spends 14+ hours a day in there. And if someone else moved in, she'd have to move everything into the house, into one of the rooms already listed as over-impacted.
- The studio shed. No water, heat, or space. Living in a closet for a year doesn't sound like my idea of hospitality, and we'd still have him in the house constantly because the studio shed really has nothing; it's a 6' x 10' unheated prison cell with no fixtures, in essence.

So a whole world of "Nope".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

Clothed post:

Hermione is eleven today.

Eleven. This is so weird.
She keeps reminding me that, if there is any justice in the world, her Hogwarts letter will arrive by owl today.
I keep telling her that Mama can't deal with the thought of her moving to Scotland.

Happy Birthday Hermione!!


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Well, I lasted all of three weeks as an electrician before I could no longer justify to myself that I was helping to expand The Machine. Back to working landscaping and living that Chaotic Neutral life...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Why the hell have 4 different people asked me where I'm from tonight? It's none of their business.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Why the hell have 4 different people asked me where I'm from tonight? It's none of their business.

I just say "My mom".


6 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Why the hell have 4 different people asked me where I'm from tonight? It's none of their business.
I just say "My mom".

Good idea. Next time someone asks, I'll say "captain yesterday's mom".


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I swear, some days the Farmer's Market makes it easy for me.

I was torn whether or not to go today: We definitely need to re-stock our veggies, but we also need an Andronico's run and their produce is only one notch below the farmer's markets. But I like supporting local businesses. Since I had other business this morning, I stepped onto the porch...
...and distinctly heard the music blasting from the farmer's market a block and a half away.

Nope. Not going to a place where I need earplugs and sign language to shop. Andronico's it is.


gran rey de los mono wrote:
Why the hell have 4 different people asked me where I'm from tonight? It's none of their business.

are you the only one with your accent where you are? That happens.


NobodysHome wrote:

I swear, some days the Farmer's Market makes it easy for me.

I was torn whether or not to go today: We definitely need to re-stock our veggies, but we also need an Andronico's run and their produce is only one notch below the farmer's markets. But I like supporting local businesses. Since I had other business this morning, I stepped onto the porch...
...and distinctly heard the music blasting from the farmer's market a block and a half away.

Nope. Not going to a place where I need earplugs and sign language to shop. Andronico's it is.

Sounds like the farmers market is the place to be!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

I swear, some days the Farmer's Market makes it easy for me.

I was torn whether or not to go today: We definitely need to re-stock our veggies, but we also need an Andronico's run and their produce is only one notch below the farmer's markets. But I like supporting local businesses. Since I had other business this morning, I stepped onto the porch...
...and distinctly heard the music blasting from the farmer's market a block and a half away.

Nope. Not going to a place where I need earplugs and sign language to shop. Andronico's it is.

Grognard > Punk


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

I swear, some days the Farmer's Market makes it easy for me.

I was torn whether or not to go today: We definitely need to re-stock our veggies, but we also need an Andronico's run and their produce is only one notch below the farmer's markets. But I like supporting local businesses. Since I had other business this morning, I stepped onto the porch...
...and distinctly heard the music blasting from the farmer's market a block and a half away.

Nope. Not going to a place where I need earplugs and sign language to shop. Andronico's it is.

Grognard > Punk

I'll admit, if they were playing metal or punk I'd be more forgiving. But it's local amateur bands typically playing amazingly bad swing music. Good swing music can get your feet tapping even if you're not a fan. Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.


NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

I swear, some days the Farmer's Market makes it easy for me.

I was torn whether or not to go today: We definitely need to re-stock our veggies, but we also need an Andronico's run and their produce is only one notch below the farmer's markets. But I like supporting local businesses. Since I had other business this morning, I stepped onto the porch...
...and distinctly heard the music blasting from the farmer's market a block and a half away.

Nope. Not going to a place where I need earplugs and sign language to shop. Andronico's it is.

Grognard > Punk
Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.

Okay, today's question:

What's the most wince-inducing reduction of music to muzak you've ever heard in public?

Mine was Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".


Droopy piano and morose female vocal versions of Oasis songs, which are something I'm not that fond of in the first place.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

I swear, some days the Farmer's Market makes it easy for me.

I was torn whether or not to go today: We definitely need to re-stock our veggies, but we also need an Andronico's run and their produce is only one notch below the farmer's markets. But I like supporting local businesses. Since I had other business this morning, I stepped onto the porch...
...and distinctly heard the music blasting from the farmer's market a block and a half away.

Nope. Not going to a place where I need earplugs and sign language to shop. Andronico's it is.

Grognard > Punk
Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.

Okay, today's question:

What's the most wince-inducing reduction of music to muzak you've ever heard in public?

Mine was Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".

You haven't lived until you've heard Let It Go twice an hour every hour you work for nearly 6 years.

Just saying.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Captain Yesterday's 2nd edition Pathfinder character of the month (or whatever).

Tinkleberry, Sprite (Pixie) Gunslinger (Way of the Pistolero).

Str: 10 Dex: 16 Con: 14 Int: 16 Wis: 10 Cha: 12.

Came to Golarion via a thinning of the planes in the River Kingdoms, heard about firearms and decided he wanted in on the action (Alkenstar Sojourner background). Hates pranks and tries unsuccessfully to drown his compulsive need to prank with booze.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Fantasy Monster: Rancid Duelist.

Have they won or lost their last duel?

It's hard to say...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:


Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.

Okay, today's question:

What's the most wince-inducing reduction of music to muzak you've ever heard in public?

Mine was Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".

G'n'R Sweet Child o' Mine

I'm not a fan of them, but take away the attitude and that song loses everything.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:


Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.

Okay, today's question:

What's the most wince-inducing reduction of music to muzak you've ever heard in public?

Mine was Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".

G'n'R Sweet Child o' Mine

I'm not a fan of them, but take away the attitude and that song loses everything.

i assure you, it never had anything to begin with.

loathsome song to me, from an even more loathsome band


Freehold DM wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
Why the hell have 4 different people asked me where I'm from tonight? It's none of their business.
are you the only one with your accent where you are? That happens.

Nope. Two of them just walked up to me and said "Where are you from?" before I said anything to them. The other two asked if I grew up here, then asked where I am from.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yep. I have a horrifically abnormal relationship with my kids.

We got Impus Minor all dressed up for prom, and his phone was going nuts, and without any prompting he said, "Oh, there's a big argument because one group of my friends wants to go out and get drunk after prom, and the other group wants to get Denny's, and then after that everyone wants to have a sleepover at so-and-so's house."

It strikes me that this isn't normally a conversation you share with your parents.

We're all set, though:
- Once he knows what they're doing after prom, he'll text me so I know where they are (though I'll likely be asleep)
- If he spends the night anywhere else, he'll text me
- If he and his friends end up stranded anywhere, he can call the land line (which will be by my bed) at any time and I'll come get them, but I'll drive all of them directly home. So calling Dad is a "night over" maneuver.

We'll see how things play out.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

We had our final, 8.5 hour AARPG session this afternoon/evening. The couple who always hosts smoked two briskets and some sausages, so there was meat aplenty. We killed monsters. We got silly. We sang a lot. I am going to miss the hell out of these people until September.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hooray! The "we're going to Denny's!" group won, so no stupid drunken shenanigans... we think...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:

Hooray! The "we're going to Denny's!" group won, so no stupid drunken shenanigans... we think...

Aren't the people who go to Denny's usually drunk?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:

Fantasy Monster: Rancid Duelist.

That's me, after a couple of hours fencing...


Hello, everyone.


Drejk wrote:

Fantasy Monster: Rancid Duelist.

Have they won or lost their last duel?

It's hard to say...

I like this guy!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Syrus Terrigan wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:


Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.

Okay, today's question:

What's the most wince-inducing reduction of music to muzak you've ever heard in public?

Mine was Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".

G'n'R Sweet Child o' Mine

I'm not a fan of them, but take away the attitude and that song loses everything.

i assure you, it never had anything to begin with.

loathsome song to me, from an even more loathsome band

That's some strong hate.

And this is me talking.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
gran rey de los mono wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Hooray! The "we're going to Denny's!" group won, so no stupid drunken shenanigans... we think...

Aren't the people who go to Denny's usually drunk?

I was going to mention that we never went to Denny's unless we were already drunk.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Syrus Terrigan wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:


Bad swing music rivals elevator muzak in the unlistenable department.

Okay, today's question:

What's the most wince-inducing reduction of music to muzak you've ever heard in public?

Mine was Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy".

G'n'R Sweet Child o' Mine

I'm not a fan of them, but take away the attitude and that song loses everything.

i assure you, it never had anything to begin with.

loathsome song to me, from an even more loathsome band

That's some strong hate.

And this is me talking.

yes. yes, it is.

and i am better for it.

:D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Drejk wrote:

Fantasy Monster: Rancid Duelist.

Have they won or lost their last duel?

It's hard to say...

I like this guy!

"Those are fighting words! En garde!"

Ok, ok, everything can be fighting words for that one.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
gran rey de los mono wrote:
NobodysHome wrote:

Hooray! The "we're going to Denny's!" group won, so no stupid drunken shenanigans... we think...

Aren't the people who go to Denny's usually drunk?
I was going to mention that we never went to Denny's unless we were already drunk.

I've always loved the quote, "People never go to Denny's; they end up at Denny's."

But apparently the one in Emeryville is really welcoming of the late night teen crowd and (according to said teenagers) does decent food.

But Impus Minor's communications last night were the epitome of, "What I want from my kids":
10:23 pm: We gettin a ride to dennies
10:53 pm: <Humorous video of Impus Minor pretending to snort sugar off of the Denny's table>
11:24 pm: Seems like I may spend the night at someone's place
12:00 am: Staying at xxx's (includes address)

So a blow-by-blow of where he is with assurances that he's safe. His final resting place is only about 8 blocks away, so I expect to see him by noon.

All in all great communication by The Boy.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

IHOP and Denny's are probably so used to high school drama kids coming by after shows that nothing teen phases them tbh.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

When I was in college and my friends and I all waited tables or tended bar, the Denny's just north of DFW was where we would all gather to decompress and drink coffee and smoke and tell stories after our shifts ended. We would very rarely eat but we would tip extravagantly, so we would usually make our waiter's night. That was where I fell in love with the ex who died last year, over bad coffee and Camels at Denny's.

Those were good times.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:

When I was in college and my friends and I all waited tables or tended bar, the Denny's just north of DFW was where we would all gather to decompress and drink coffee and smoke and tell stories after our shifts ended. We would very rarely eat but we would tip extravagantly, so we would usually make our waiter's night. That was where I fell in love with the ex who died last year, over bad coffee and Camels at Denny's.

Those were good times.

May they rest peacefully.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The big boss has decided, in the way that big bosses do, that what we all need in the office is big multicoloured motivational slogans in a fashionable offset font stuck up on the corridor walls. While they aren't quite as daft as say, 'Strive For Wow', or 'InfoCrab: Snip Your Brilliant!', they are close.

In the opinion of Occasional Safety Limey, what we need is more acoustic ceiling tiles and fewer motivational slogans, but nobody would ever make any money if Occasional Safety Limey was in charge.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

I do enjoy some Denny's meals. It's decent diner fare. But the jokes about ending up there rather than choosing to be there are pretty amusing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is nothing to fear but Fear Itself. And Fear Itself is a floating blot of shadow that makes you remember your worst lifetime experiences and can eat your soul, so yeah that's worth being afraid of.


LM is going to vent about her Mother-in-law again...:

We were playing a game of Fluxx after dinner when Miz Daisy wandered into the dining room. After making polite conversation for a moment, she mentioned the children's ballet performance coming up this Saturday and asked where it would be.
Me: SMU.
Daisy: Is this something that requires a ticket purchase to attend?
Me: Yes, but I didn't buy one for you because last time, you said Please don't invite me again because that's too much for me.
Daisy (looking crestfallen): Oh. Did I say that?
WW: YES.

She turned and walked out of the room, her shoulders slumped.

I did EXACTLY what she told me to do. Now I'm the bad guy.

It's a good thing I didn't mention that I invited WW's dad and stepmother in her place.

Sigh.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

This is tough. From what you've said at other times, I know it's part of a years-if-not-decades-long pattern with her. At the same time, at this point in her life, it might not even be intentional. She may genuinely not remember telling you that.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

I have a different-yet-similar situation with my mother-in-law in Texas.

MIL: "Can I visit for a week or two?"
Us: "Are you staying with us or getting a hotel room?"
MIL: "I figured I'd stay with you...if that's alright..."
Us, mostly me, but with Aiymi's backing: "Sure, you can stay for a week."
MIL tried to get me to completely rearrange the house for her stay on the first night. I counter-offered to give her an air mattress in the garage and that I would be generous and park in the driveway. She then proceeded to stay 6 weeks.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Recall how angry I was that prom was on a Sunday night rather than a Friday?

Sure enough, he was up all night Sunday night, slept through most of today, and came to the realization he's not going to be able to finish his English project that's due at 8:30 am tomorrow morning.

Prom and finals don't mix anyway, but prom on a Sunday night before a Tuesday final just leads to suffering.


About to go home. Good night, everyone.


lisamarlene wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Political Response:
When you get back from the show, loudly complain about how much the teacher and the other parents praised Beto O’Rourke and Joe Biden, and you had no idea Texas had so many liberals in it…

She’ll be more than happy she didn’t go.


Scintillae wrote:
IHOP and Denny's are probably so used to high school drama kids coming by after shows that nothing teen phases them tbh.

Kinda like this?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NobodysHome wrote:
lisamarlene wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

She’ll be more than happy she didn’t go.

That won't work. Most of the houses in our neighborhood have Beto and BLM yard signs, including ours. Politics is one of the few things we do agree on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

I'm sorry.

Mom has been forgetful for a bit but it's now starting to get very, very annoying. It reminds me of grandma to an extent(although grandma did her VERY BEST to not show it around me, as an adult now I realize just how much energy and effort she had to put into that), and that is starting to scare me, I admit.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Life has a funny way of working itself out.

Once again, Impus Minor's teachers all gave their finals out early, so even though this week is "finals week", Impus Minor doesn't have any final exams. Instead, since the teachers are legally required to have the students in class, they're showing movies, having parties, or what-have-you. The classic "obligatory office party scenario". And we all know already that if I were a school principal, one of the very first things I would do is mandate, "You will give your final exams on the assigned final exam date. Period! No screwing around!"

Impus Minor saved up enough sick days to cut all this week, but cuts can affect his final grades. Along comes Impus Major back from Santa Cruz with a nasty virus and a 100.8°F fever. He tested negative, but Lawful means you can say things cleverly.

"Impus Major is ill. Although it is not COVID, I am more comfortable keeping Impus Minor home this week."

All 100% true.

Just totally unrelated.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hello, everyone.

272,351 to 272,400 of 273,026 << first < prev | 5443 | 5444 | 5445 | 5446 | 5447 | 5448 | 5449 | 5450 | 5451 | 5452 | 5453 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Deep 6 FaWtL All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.