Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ

Introducing Six New Agents!

Monday, July 20, 2015


Illustration by Ryan Yee
There are just a few more iconic characters left to bring into Pathfinder Society. Alain has held up the process by demanding we make his character sheet *perfect*.

Over the past several weeks, the design team and other authors have been introducing us to the new Pathfinder RPG Occult Adventures iconic characters and sharing some of the changes incorporated since the playtest in late 2014. Subscribers have already begun receiving PDF copies of the new book, which we'll have added to the Additional Resources in time for Gen Con 2015 in just over a week.

Much as we did with the Advanced Class Guide for Gen Con last year, we have also prepared 1st-, 4th-, and 7th-level pregenerated characters for use in the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign for Occult Adventures. These include all of the necessary rules needed to play the character, down to the abridged spell descriptions and class ability explanations. One of the unique challenges in designing these characters was the sheer versatility of them—especially in the case of the occultist, whose base statistics can change depending on how he allocates his mental focus. As a result, we presented those characters with a recommended distribution of points, and we're sure that a player who wants to shuffle those around can add to and subtract from a few modifiers if necessary.

Download them, and use them in your next game!

John Compton
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Classes Community Use Policy Pathfinder Society Ryan Yee
1 to 50 of 112 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge ***

I look forward to going over the characters.

**** RPG Venture-Lieutenant, Oregon—Portland aka Tsriel

I am excited to add more options to my pregen binder.

Liberty's Edge *** RPG Venture-Lieutenant, Virginia—Glen Allen aka Slothsy

Wow, thanks for having these out so early!

Shadow Lodge *

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Why is the Iconic Kenesist a young human? Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.

Liberty's Edge **

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

#thanksalain

Silver Crusade ** RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16 aka cartmanbeck

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dylos wrote:
Why is the Iconic Kenesist a young human? Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.

The iconic characters aren't really created with PFS in mind. I'm assuming whoever ordered the art for the kineticist imagined her as a young human and wrote the character's backstory with that in mind. Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

Liberty's Edge **

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

The iconics for OA were specifically designed to showcase a wider range of humanity than they have typically done before, which is why we have a young human, an elderly human and an overweight human among them this time.

Grand Lodge ***** RPG Venture-Lieutenant, Arizona—Mesa aka TriOmegaZero

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dylos wrote:
Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.

The pregens are allowed to break the rules of PFS if the developers deem it necessary. Refer to the Evil pregens in Serpent's Rise.

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tyler Beck wrote:
Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

I hadn't heard that before. Is that in the character creation section of the guide, or is that on the messageboards someplace?

I have a Kitsune character I just started whose human form is a child (even though the Kitsune herself isn't). Is that illegal?

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Tyler Beck wrote:
Dylos wrote:
Why is the Iconic Kenesist a young human? Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.
The iconic characters aren't really created with PFS in mind. I'm assuming whoever ordered the art for the kineticist imagined her as a young human and wrote the character's backstory with that in mind. Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

Right, but it makes her the first iconic that cannot be used as an actual character and leveled up, since it's only legal to play her as a pregen.

Any other pregen, a player can decide they like the character and continue to use them by leveling them up, but this one cannot be leveled up since they would no longer be legal.

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
pH unbalanced wrote:
Tyler Beck wrote:
Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

I hadn't heard that before. Is that in the character creation section of the guide, or is that on the messageboards someplace?

I have a Kitsune character I just started whose human form is a child (even though the Kitsune herself isn't). Is that illegal?

Yes, it is, your Kitsune's human form must be a mature medium character, children are small, and you cannot use Alter Self to become a small human.

Silver Crusade ***

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Dylos wrote:
Why is the Iconic Kenesist a young human? Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.

Because the Iconic is a young human. Sometimes the iconics get to break some rules. Just go with it.

The iconics look great!

Edit: They can level the iconic up and keep using it, as long as they get rid of the young part. They could just say the iconic picked up a couple of birthdays. Doesn't seem loke that big a deal to me.

Grand Lodge

I'll be picking up my copy at gencon but I'll be happy to peruse the pregens now ^_^. Now I get to hold my breath for the ACG errata.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

Dylos wrote:
Tyler Beck wrote:
Dylos wrote:
Why is the Iconic Kenesist a young human? Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.
The iconic characters aren't really created with PFS in mind. I'm assuming whoever ordered the art for the kineticist imagined her as a young human and wrote the character's backstory with that in mind. Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

Right, but it makes her the first iconic that cannot be used as an actual character and leveled up, since it's only legal to play her as a pregen.

Any other pregen, a player can decide they like the character and continue to use them by leveling them up, but this one cannot be leveled up since they would no longer be legal.

As Tyler notes, this is a case where we carefully considered the character's art and backstory against the rules of the organized play campaign. We decided in favor of presenting her as a young person by making her Small without tinkering with much else.

Silver Crusade ***

Is the mesmerist pregen evil? Cuz I read his backstory, and he seemed pretty evil.

(I'd download and look myself, but work won't upgrade past IE9.)

Grand Lodge ***** RPG Venture-Lieutenant, Arizona—Mesa aka TriOmegaZero

Dylos wrote:
Right, but it makes her the first iconic that cannot be used as an actual character and leveled up, since it's only legal to play her as a pregen.

Simply change the character to Medium size and continue playing.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Elizabeth Corrigan wrote:

Is the mesmerist pregen evil? Cuz I read his backstory, and he seemed pretty evil.

(I'd download and look myself, but work won't upgrade past IE9.)

You're right that Meligaster would be evil. You'll note that on the pregenerated character sheet, we made a special entry that notes he would be evil but is instead neutral for the purposes of the organized play campaign. We weren't interested in introducing evil PCs—especially as one-shot characters that would play alongside non-evil PCs—in Pathfinder Society.

Grand Lodge *****

Dylos wrote:
Tyler Beck wrote:
Dylos wrote:
Why is the Iconic Kenesist a young human? Last I checked that wouldn't be PFS legal.
The iconic characters aren't really created with PFS in mind. I'm assuming whoever ordered the art for the kineticist imagined her as a young human and wrote the character's backstory with that in mind. Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

Right, but it makes her the first iconic that cannot be used as an actual character and leveled up, since it's only legal to play her as a pregen.

Any other pregen, a player can decide they like the character and continue to use them by leveling them up, but this one cannot be leveled up since they would no longer be legal.

Well you can still play an older yoon. :)

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Card Game, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Dylos wrote:
pH unbalanced wrote:
Tyler Beck wrote:
Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

I hadn't heard that before. Is that in the character creation section of the guide, or is that on the messageboards someplace?

I have a Kitsune character I just started whose human form is a child (even though the Kitsune herself isn't). Is that illegal?

Yes, it is, your Kitsune's human form must be a mature medium character, children are small, and you cannot use Alter Self to become a small human.

*Some* children are small. Is size the only issue, because it was never my intention to be other than medium.

I don't want to clutter this thread with this question -- please just point me (even vaguely) towards the rule and I'll research and start another thread if I have questions.


Any updates to the other characters?

It has been mentioned that Erzen is a Pathfinder and should have a wayfinder. If any of the other pre-gens are Pathfinders they should probably also have a wayfinder. There was a discussion about this in a thread with spoilers.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
pH unbalanced wrote:
Dylos wrote:
pH unbalanced wrote:
Tyler Beck wrote:
Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

I hadn't heard that before. Is that in the character creation section of the guide, or is that on the messageboards someplace?

I have a Kitsune character I just started whose human form is a child (even though the Kitsune herself isn't). Is that illegal?

Yes, it is, your Kitsune's human form must be a mature medium character, children are small, and you cannot use Alter Self to become a small human.

*Some* children are small. Is size the only issue, because it was never my intention to be other than medium.

I don't want to clutter this thread with this question -- please just point me (even vaguely) towards the rule and I'll research and start another thread if I have questions.

See page 7 of the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play, which discusses the minimum and maximum ages for PCs.

Shadow Lodge ***

There's really only three... damned vigilantes are everywhere...

*****

7 people marked this as a favorite.

My Confirmation was the best! The Master of Spells got mad when I showed up the wizard with my awesome fire, and then he kept talking about how this was against the rules or something and he was only saying OK "under pro test". The Master of Blades couldn't stop laughing. He doesn't know how to make fire, but he is more fun than the Master of Spells. The Master of Scrolls is the best though because he doesn't treat me different than the other agents. I'm not sure if he can't tell I'm a kid, or if it's just that elves are really really old so we're all just kids to him.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
BretI wrote:

Any updates to the other characters?

It has been mentioned that Erzen is a Pathfinder and should have a wayfinder. If any of the other pre-gens are Pathfinders they should probably also have a wayfinder. There was a discussion about this in a thread with spoilers.

We have not updated any other characters at this time. Our first priority was to get the Occult Adventures pregenerated characters in people's hands. After Gen Con we're hoping to have more development time to revisit the pregen-less iconics and review earlier ones.

Shadow Lodge *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
pH unbalanced wrote:
Dylos wrote:
pH unbalanced wrote:
Tyler Beck wrote:
Can one of us create a young character for PFS? No, but you can play this one.

I hadn't heard that before. Is that in the character creation section of the guide, or is that on the messageboards someplace?

I have a Kitsune character I just started whose human form is a child (even though the Kitsune herself isn't). Is that illegal?

Yes, it is, your Kitsune's human form must be a mature medium character, children are small, and you cannot use Alter Self to become a small human.

*Some* children are small. Is size the only issue, because it was never my intention to be other than medium.

I don't want to clutter this thread with this question -- please just point me (even vaguely) towards the rule and I'll research and start another thread if I have questions.

Well, you have to be size medium, which is 4' to 8 ft, however without going into too much detail, a standard human is 4 ft. 7 in. - 6 ft. 1 in. as a female, 5 ft - 6 ft. 6 in. as a male, so your human form as a kitsune should be within these limits.

It is possible that a human female could be 4'7" and still be in her elementary years, though keep in mind that the minimum age for playable human characters is 16 (but you aren't human, you just have a human form). Personally, I was 6 feet in 7th or 8th grade, and 5 feet would have been an elementary age for me for certain. As long as you fall into the range of typical PC human height and weight, you should be fine, there are plenty of people who look younger then they actually are anyway, but you cannot gain any mechanical benefits from looking like a human child as a kitsune.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Erasmus appears to be getting Dex to damage with his starknife at level 1 at both melee and ranged. How is this possible?

*

I'm loving this preview for pyrokineticists!

Paizo Employee ***** Designer

Imbicatus wrote:
Erasmus appears to be getting Dex to damage with his starknife at level 1 at both melee and ranged. How is this possible?

He's not; the Champion happens to give him an exact combination of bonuses that appear to be that.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:
Erasmus appears to be getting Dex to damage with his starknife at level 1 at both melee and ranged. How is this possible?
He's not; the Champion happens to give him an exact combination of bonuses that appear to be that.

Cool, I'm loving the peeks into the classes.

**** RPG Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Atlanta aka Yiroep

Should the medium be doing 1d6+4 on his acid flasks (level 1 version)? It says "Non-spell damage rolls," which would seem to apply to splash weapons.

Grand Lodge ***** RPG Venture-Captain, Texas—Houston aka Arutema

Typo spotted on the Spiritualist pregens: At all levels, Honaire's type is given as "outside" rather than "outsider".


John Compton wrote:
BretI wrote:

Any updates to the other characters?

It has been mentioned that Erzen is a Pathfinder and should have a wayfinder. ...

We have not updated any other characters at this time. Our first priority was to get the Occult Adventures pregenerated characters in people's hands. After Gen Con we're hoping to have more development time to revisit the pregen-less iconics and review earlier ones.

Alright, sounds good.

Might want to give a wayfinder to Mavaro (the Occultist) at the same time. It mentions that he has joined the Pathfinder Society in his background.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BretI wrote:
John Compton wrote:
BretI wrote:

Any updates to the other characters?

It has been mentioned that Erzen is a Pathfinder and should have a wayfinder. ...

We have not updated any other characters at this time. Our first priority was to get the Occult Adventures pregenerated characters in people's hands. After Gen Con we're hoping to have more development time to revisit the pregen-less iconics and review earlier ones.

Alright, sounds good.

Might want to give a wayfinder to Mavaro (the Occultist) at the same time. It mentions that he has joined the Pathfinder Society in his background.

It's something he should probably pick up by his 4th-level, but he wouldn't be able to afford it as a starting character. I'll make sure that point is included in my pregenerated character design guidelines.

Lantern Lodge **

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting Subscriber
Kelly Youngblood wrote:
Typo spotted on the Spiritualist pregens: At all levels, Honaire's type is given as "outside" rather than "outsider".

No that is right, he is just really really into camping that it changed his fundamental nature. His favourite part is telling ghost stories around the fire.

***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Does this mean that we can expect Occult Adventures to beaded to Additional Resources soon?

Dark Archive *****

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Class Decks, Maps, Modules Subscriber
xebeche wrote:
Does this mean that we can expect Occult Adventures to beaded to Additional Resources soon?

Additional Resources update for GenCon 2015 should be up next Wednesday based on John's comments in the past week.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
xebeche wrote:
Does this mean that we can expect Occult Adventures to beaded to Additional Resources soon?

It should be showing up in a little over a week.

***

Looks like the Spiritualist's Phase Lurch ability is gone. Ah, well.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just to verify, are the OA pregens legal as of today or do we need to wait until the 29th when Additional Resources is updated with Occult Adventures?

Sovereign Court

Hm, I overall love the new iconics, but I noticed a few oddities in my brief skim of them.

1) Meligaster's Disorientation says that it applies to attack and damage rolls. The book says it only applies to attack rolls. Perhaps the author of this pregen used the playtest document?

2) This may be either an error in OA or the pregen, but under Estra level 7, she receives Cure Serious Wounds as a 3rd level spell from Emotional Conduit. In OA, the 3rd level spell gained from the feat is cure light wounds. I assume this is more likely a mistake in the book itself.

3) For Yoon's Elemental Overflow, it does not mention that she gains an additional bonus to damage from Fire's Fury. Fire's Fury has its own entry on her sheet, but it doesn't clearly state that it stacks with the normal damage increase (Burnx2) from Elemental Overflow.

EDIT: Spiritualist's Phantom should have Phase Lurch listed as an ability.

***

Quote:

EDIT: Spiritualist's Phantom should have Phase Lurch listed as an ability.

May I ask how it is limited (rds/day, min/day)?

Paizo Employee ***** Global Organized Play Coordinator

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Imbicatus wrote:
Just to verify, are the OA pregens legal as of today or do we need to wait until the 29th when Additional Resources is updated with Occult Adventures?

You can use them now.

Paizo Employee ***** Developer

Lukas Stariha wrote:
2) This may be either an error in OA or the pregen, but under Estra level 7, she receives Cure Serious Wounds as a 3rd level spell from Emotional Conduit. In OA, the 3rd level spell gained from the feat is cure light wounds. I assume this is more likely a mistake in the book itself.

Regarding this point in particular, I noticed this while reviewing the spiritualist pregenerated character and brought it to the design team. They confirmed that the 3rd-level bonus spell should be cure serious wounds, so I updated it on the character sheet to reflect that correction.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I rather like Estra's quote.

Sovereign Court

redward wrote:
Quote:

EDIT: Spiritualist's Phantom should have Phase Lurch listed as an ability.

May I ask how it is limited (rds/day, min/day)?

Phase Lurch is not limited in that way; however the Etheric Tether ability establishes relevant limitations on how you can use it (i.e. being a certain distance from the Spiritualist and being outside of line of effect for Spiritual level rounds before being sent back to the Ethereal Plane.)

***

Lukas Stariha wrote:
redward wrote:
Quote:

EDIT: Spiritualist's Phantom should have Phase Lurch listed as an ability.

May I ask how it is limited (rds/day, min/day)?
Phase Lurch is not limited in that way; however the Etheric Tether ability establishes relevant limitations on how you can use it (i.e. being a certain distance from the Spiritualist and being outside of line of effect for Spiritual level rounds before being sent back to the Ethereal Plane.)

Gotcha. Seems like a pretty reasonable way of reigning it in. Thanks!

Silver Crusade ** RPG Venture-Lieutenant, Germany—Aschaffenburg-Würzburg

Can we please have get a non-watermarked version of the pregens? I looks better, and I would prefer not to give my private Email to new players - that's what the official one is there for.

The Exchange **** ACG Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Dallas aka Belafon

Sebastian Hirsch wrote:
Can we please have get a non-watermarked version of the pregens? I looks better, and I would prefer not to give my private Email to new players - that's what the official one is there for.

Seconded

ACG Venture-Lieutenant, New Mexico—Alamogordo aka pluvia33

Wow, I completely missed that so many pregens were out! I only knew of the PFS version of Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard and the Core pregens in the NPC Codex. Glad I saw this post! Here's to hoping the APG characters get back up soon and maybe getting a new NPC Codex....

Sovereign Court

It is a little unfortunate that Estra's statblock doesn't explain what Emotional Conduit does, especially since these pregens are available before OA. (For the record, it gives an additional spell known for each spell level based on the phantom's chosen emotional focus. These are included in her spells, but players may not immediately realize this.)

1 to 50 of 112 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder Society® / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Introducing Six New Agents! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Alchemists (22)     Anti-Paladins (3)     Archetypes (2)     Barbarians (26)     Bards (18)     Cavaliers (9)     Clerics (23)     Druids (13)     Eidolons (5)     Familiars (8)     Fighter/Wizards (2)     Fighters (22)     Gunslingers (4)     Hellknights (6)     Inquisitors (9)     Magi (9)     Monks (16)     Ninja (2)     Oracles (15)     Paladins (30)     Prestige Classes (6)     Rangers (16)     Rogue (1)     Rogues (33)     Samurai (2)     Sorcerers (18)     Summoners (5)     Witches (19)     Wizard (1)     Wizards (27)    

Gen Con Booth Button: Thursday,

Goblin Attack!,

Shiny!,

Hangry,

All is quiet,

Paizo


©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.