Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

GM Fez's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Nathan Hartshorn

Map

The Harrowing

Majenko

Harrow point uses:
  • Dexterity Rerolls: A PC can spend a Harrow Point to reroll an initiative check, Reflex save, attack roll modified by Dexterity, or Dexterity-based check. The PC must abide by the new result (although if he has additional Harrow Points, he can use them for additional rerolls).
  • Dodge Bonus: A PC can spend a Harrow Point to gain a +1 dodge bonus to his Armor Class for one encounter. He can spend up to 3 Harrow Points per encounter to increase his Armor Class in this manner.
  • Speed Increase: A PC can spend a Harrow Point to increase his base speed by 10 feet for one encounter.

  • 1 to 50 of 1,018 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

    31 Lamashan, 4716

    Cecil Rosencrad:
    Your day begins as normal, waking in a cold home and thoughts always upon your daughter. You spend the day plotting, thinking, scheming, trying to think of a way to find Lamm and get your daughter back. After hours without results (and several more skipped meals) you turn to your spellbook, letting your weary mind rest on the arcane in case there's an answer there. You open the book and are surprised to see a Harrow Card tucked in between the pages. Turning it over there is a note penned on the back of it:

    I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

    Aloysia Sett:
    You've been spending your days tracking your new mark, one Gaedren Lamm. He's a slippery old man, never stays in the same place for long and constantly sending out new drugs and stealing away children. You've been hired, for less coin than you'd like, but enough to make it worth your while 100gp, to find and eliminate Lamm. He took the page of some minor noble and now they want revenge. The guard won't do anything so you'll have to do (as the messenger so eloquently told you). Hanging out in the rafters and planning how to obtain the information you seek you practice tossing your daggers. A card catches your eye and your dagger pierces it expertly. Pulling the card off your dagger you see a message on the other side.

    I know what Gaedren has done. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others will be there, though for personal reasons. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

    Jolun Vulture-Heart:
    You begin your morning routine as usual, and as always there is a cool, but not cold presence surrounding your mind. It dissipates more as the day goes on, but that in itself is not unusual. Thinking back, it was this day, many years ago, that your mother was stabbed by Gaedren Lamm. Your spirit boils with rage that you were unable to do anything then and that the guard refuse to do anything now. You calm yourself, thinking of how others view you already. Returning to your place of residence you find a card on your bed, strange because no one has access here but yourself. On the back you find a short message:

    I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

    Gamon Neles:
    You begin your day as you usually do, helping Johan in his apothecary. More addicts are brought in by friends and family, each begging for help or release. You do what you can, but each day weighs heavy on your heart. Thoughts turning to the man pushing this disease across the city only reminds you of Alena and what she has gone through. You can almost feel a faint heartbeat underneath your fingers. Grinding up some more herbs for a poultice you move to return the mortar and pestle to their proper place when a card catches your eye. On the back is a short message:

    I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wronged me as well. I know where he dwells, yet cannot strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

    DC 12 Kn. (local):
    You know that that particular address belongs to a rather infamous fortune telling shop owned by a Varisian woman who goes by Zellara. You find the address rather quickly all things considered.

    Anyone that does not make the above check and asks around about the address roll 1d3. You learn the information in the spoiler and arrive after that many hours of travel.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

    Cecil sits back, looking over the Harrow card as he flips it over and over again in his long fingers. Thousands of thoughts flood through his mind, many of them questions. However, only moments pass before he has winnowed them all down with a grim certainty. He flicks his fingers and sends the card tumbling through the air, spinning in an invisible hand of force as he ruminates on the new development.

    I care not how they got to me; I've not been terribly subtle. But I don't know who it is. Perhaps Gaedren wants to be rid of me.

    Looking over the card again, he gestures, sending it skittering across his book-strewn desk. It doesn't matter. he thinks. It's my greatest chance to find him, one way or another.

    1d3 ⇒ 3

    Cecil arrives a little later than he hoped, but he is still driven. He walks up the short steps and raps on the door with the back of his gauntlet. He feels a sense of urgency; it's getting late, and he doesn't want to miss this chance.


    M Human Slayer 3 (HP 28/28| AC:17 | T:12 | FF:15 | CMB: 6| CMD:18 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20)

    Knowledge: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
    Gamon nearly places the mortar atop a wrinkled card, barely noticing in time to avoid crushing the thin material with the stone implement. He picks up the card, long fingers turning it in his hand as he examines the card. His eyes widen as he reads the message on the back, recognizing the name. He stands motionless for a second, his mind whirling, before slipping the card into a pocket and returning to his work.
    Well, I suppose I'm not the only one who's dealt with the pain this man has brought. Not sure if I trust this message, but I'll be there, that's for sure.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon stares at the card. It couldn't have been just left on the altar by accident. He picks it up and stares at the capering puppets on it. He remembered hearing once that it had something to do with prophecy...how a prophet could no more control future than someone in the audience could change the performance on a stage. Oddly fitting, considering how little control he felt he had throughout his life. Whoever placed this here clearly knew enough about him to pick it out.

    He packs his things and informs one of the other acolytes that he'd be gone for the day. He rolled his eyes a bit as she tutted him for missing the Vespers. He clomps out of the Grey District and into the city at large. He quickly gets lost trying to find the address, as it's not along his normal route to the clinic.

    Travel Hours: 1d3 ⇒ 3

    He arrives three hours later, finding a half-elf man standing outside the door knocking on it. He shifts uneasily from foot to foot before clearing his throat.

    "Be received, Stranger," he says, trying to sound as quiet as a deep, mighty voice like his could.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    Aloysia grins at the card she holds in her hand. I still say they aren't paying me enough for this, but at least it looks like the locating and planning will be mostly done for me. That takes a little sting out of the apparent lack of value they have for their page.

    Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

    Zellara's place. Maybe she's not as batty as I thought?

    Aloysia packs her bag with her usual supplies, throws up her cowl and heads to the shop.


    Aloysia and Gamon:
    You arrive at Zellara's place at roughly the same time. Upon the door is a note, short and simple:

    Please come inside. Four will arrive to bring about justice.

    A few hours later Cecil and Jolon arrive as well. The door opens to Cecil's touch.

    The interior of this small, humble home consists of a single cozy chamber filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The aroma comes from several sticks of incense smoldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke gives the room a dreamy feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling human hearts, and another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall, hooded figure shrouded in mist, holding a flaming sword in a skeletal hand. Several brightly colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throw cloth and several elegant, tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

    Atop the table lies a note under a stone paperweight.

    Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please, have a seat while you wait. The basket under the table contains bread and drink for you.

    True to the note the basket has two bottles of wine and several loafs of bread. The bread is a touch stale but filling, and the wine is surely not the finest, but it tastes good enough for a simple meal.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Cecil is suspicious when the room turns out to be empty except for the others who are waiting as well.

    "You are the ones also looking for Gaedren?" he queries, looking around the room. Casting detect magic and doing a visual sweep of the chamber.

    His questions don't really stop even as he patrols the room."Did any of you even see the person who set this up? I got here late; How long have you been waiting?"

    He will walk around the room, his suspicion and agitation evident to everyone. If there are other rooms, he will poke around in them, looking to see if anyone waits in ambush. This has to be a trap. No way the host just happened to 'step out' after she invited us over.

    The obviously tired and stressed out half-elf eventually calms down and drops into a seat with a sigh. He won't even object to bread and wine if someone actively offers it to him, but he won't get it himself. He should probably eat, though; the man looks half-starved.

    Another dead end... Celise, I will find you. Hold on for daddy, please...


    SECRET ROLLS!:
    1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

    Cecil:
    The entire room radiates with magic. Upon closer inspection your spell reveals it to be moderate illusion magic


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Is there something I can roll to identify what the illusion is?


    DC 18 Spellcraft:
    There appear to be multiple castings of Major Image on the majority of surfaces and even on the bread and wine.


    M Human Slayer 3 (HP 28/28| AC:17 | T:12 | FF:15 | CMB: 6| CMD:18 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20)

    Gamon arrives at the house a bit before sunset, suspiciously looking around as he mounts the steps to the door. A woman seems to already be standing outside the door, examining a note pinned to it. As he reads the note over her shoulder he asks, Well, shall we step inside then? I'd guess you're here for the same reason as I.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    Stealth - more how she moves than trying to actually hide from Gamon: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

    Aloysia eyes Gamon up and down as she approaches the building, then peers over his shoulder to read the note. Breaking her silence she says in a sarcastic tone, "Justice, huh?" She chuckles lightly to herself, and says, "After you 'Bringer of Justice'"

    Stepping in the room she can't help but look for marks or threats, hiding holes, and the like.

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

    But she's caught off guard by the image of the black-skulled beast juggling the hearts. She unconsciously, but quietly says, "Left anterior descending coronary artery," a habit she picked up while listening to the anatomy lessons to help learn the structures of the body. The painting is accurate, peering a little closer, Impressive.

    She takes a look at the bread and wine, sniffs it for any signs of poison, but also has a hard time turning down free food. She takes a sip of wine, but doesn't drink much, just enough to taste the flavor. She does, however, eat a large piece of bread. She sits down, crosses her legs, and spreads her arms over the back of the chair exposing her heart in an attempt to garner trust from the other man in the room. She never can stop trying to manipulate those around her. "What brings you here, friend?" the word friend emphasized slightly.

    Jumping forward slightly in time for when Cecil shows up!

    As Cecil enters, Aloysia turns to look at him, but doesn't move any other part of her body. "Hero of the realms, welcome!" she says in another snide tone. She frowns slightly at her joke being lost on the man as his barrage of questions come pouring out. "Inquisitive one aren't you? We haven't been here long, enough time to get to know each other," the last sentence spoken in as earnest a tone as she can muster.


    M Human Slayer 3 (HP 28/28| AC:17 | T:12 | FF:15 | CMB: 6| CMD:18 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20)

    Gamon smiles slightly at her remark, opening the door and walking into the room. He tilts his head to the side as he hears her remark upon entering the room, but walks to the table and reads the note. Looks like we'll have to wait.

    He ignores the wine but does take a hunk of bread as he sits down, biting into it as he listens to Aloysia's question. Long story short, Lamm's been responsible for a lot of suffering. I've watched children die from his actions. I can't stand for that.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    The half elf mutters to himself as he analyzes the aura
    Spellcraft: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

    Dang! THIS close!

    "Wait!" he calls, holding out a hand. "Don't eat the food. There's an aura of illusion all over the room, but it's not one that I recognize."

    I'd like to try to disbelieve to see through this illusion.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon enters the room and his eyes widen at the sight of a familiar friend.

    "Gamon! I'm surprised, I thought you'd still be back at Johan's. Did you get a Harrow card as well?"

    He jumps in surprise as Cecil scans the room and barks out a warning.

    "But...the food's not part of the illusion. That'd probably be safe."

    He rubs his chin.

    "I don't even know who you all are, besides Gamon."


    M Human Slayer 3 (HP 28/28| AC:17 | T:12 | FF:15 | CMB: 6| CMD:18 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20)

    Gamon, who has been munching on the bread for about three hours now while waiting for the other to arrive, pauses mid-bite, slowly swallows, then says in a flat tone I don't think the bread is the illusion, or if so then it's one that holds up to touch, taste and smell as well as sight.


    DC 25 Will save:
    You're able to see through the illusions. Everything remains in place except for the bread and wine which disappears entirely. Otherwise the home looks abandoned entirely, furniture broken or missing, tapestries ruined, and dust everywhere only disturbed by your passing.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    I can't make that save unless i get a 20! Lol. This is great.
    will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
    not a 20
    Cecil sighs and waves at the room. "Eat if you want. I can't figure it out..."

    Whoever did this had powerful magic at their disposal.

    -Posted with Wayfinder


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    "What's your name? I am Jolon, Brother Jolon Vulture-Heart."


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    Aloysia internally jumps at the concept of falling for an illusion and potential threat to her livelihood, but then it registers that she's been here a while, eating the food, and she wasn't dead yet. She shrugs and continues eating.

    "Why, we're heroes of course! Here to right the wrongs of the world! Isn't that what those cards and notes strewn about say?"

    She pauses a moment and ponders, Did he say "Brother?" Wheels start turning in her head about how to approach one like Jolon.

    "Brother of what?"


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    "Cecil. Rosencrad." the half-elf replies tersely. "I'm no hero. Just an author who wants his little girl back."

    -Posted with Wayfinder


    The door to the house opens and a middle-aged attractive Varisian woman with long dark hair enters. "Greetings all, I am Zellara Esmeranda, thank you for coming to my home." She sits in one of the chairs at the table and nods for any who are not already seated to do so. A deck of Harrow cards appears in her hands as if by magic and she shows extreme grace and proficiency shuffling the deck, the cards seeming to flow in and around her delicate hands.

    She begins speaking, softly, but the words ring clearly in your ears, "Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a vicious man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This man has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When Lamm’s pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down and returned my deck to me. But Gaedren had him followed, and soon after he left my home, Gaedren’s thugs murdered him.

    "I sought help from the Korvosan Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here, at Westpier 17, where he trains abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures.

    "But I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if they were willing to help, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. And even if they arrested him, what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.”

    The cards in her hands stop their motion and fan out. "I can perform a Harrowing for you, something to help you, and perhaps give you insight." She holds the nine cards out to everyone to pick one and show it to her.

    The Harrowing

    Ok, so because Google docs doesn't want to play nice this is how we'll do it. Go into that file and roll a die with the number of sides corresponding to the number of cards on the first page. Then move that card (top row 1,2,3 middle 4,5,6 bottom 7,8,9) to the spot above your name on the second page. The Harrowing will only help and will be explained as the ritual is completed.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    1d9 ⇒ 4

    Cecil reaches out and picks out a card.
    The demon's lantern? he thinks, holding it before him.


    Zellara takes the card back and shuffles it into the deck, "The Demon's Lantern, impossible situations, confrontation with allies."


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]
    Aloysia Sett wrote:

    Aloysia internally jumps at the concept of falling for an illusion and potential threat to her livelihood, but then it registers that she's been here a while, eating the food, and she wasn't dead yet. She shrugs and continues eating.

    "Why, we're heroes of course! Here to right the wrongs of the world! Isn't that what those cards and notes strewn about say?"

    She pauses a moment and ponders, Did he say "Brother?" Wheels start turning in her head about how to approach one like Jolon.

    "Brother of what?"

    "The Church of Pharasma."

    GM Fez wrote:

    The door to the house opens and a middle-aged attractive Varisian woman with long dark hair enters. "Greetings all, I am Zellara Esmeranda, thank you for coming to my home." She sits in one of the chairs at the table and nods for any who are not already seated to do so. A deck of Harrow cards appears in her hands as if by magic and she shows extreme grace and proficiency shuffling the deck, the cards seeming to flow in and around her delicate hands.

    She begins speaking, softly, but the words ring clearly in your ears, "Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden, you see—a vicious man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This man has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When Lamm’s pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down and returned my deck to me. But Gaedren had him followed, and soon after he left my home, Gaedren’s thugs murdered him.

    "I sought help from the Korvosan Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells. He can be found in an old fishery north of here, at Westpier 17, where he trains abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures.

    "But I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if they were willing to help, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. And even if they arrested him, what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.”

    The cards in her hands stop their motion and fan out. "I can perform a Harrowing for you, something to help you, and perhaps give you insight." She holds the nine cards out to everyone to pick one and show it to her.

    Jolon stares at Zellara as she speaks. The lines on her face, the sound of strength beneath the gentleness of her voice, it all reminded him of his mother. His brow furrows as she speaks of the loss of her son.

    "Then we've BOTH lost someone we care about to Gaedren. I swear, I'll help you find justice for him, AND for my mother."

    He reaches out at selects a card.

    1d8 ⇒ 8

    He turns it over to reveal a rabbit dressed in finery fit for a king, as if the crown on his head wasn't enough, holding a broken rapier in hand.

    "The Rabbit Prince," he reads.


    M Human Slayer 3 (HP 28/28| AC:17 | T:12 | FF:15 | CMB: 6| CMD:18 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20)

    1d7 ⇒ 5
    Gamon nods at Jolon's words, We all have. And he will pay.
    He picks up a card, staring at the odd image printed upon it, The cricket.


    A tear slips from Zellara's eye and she blinks unexpectedly. She takes Jolon's card and shuffles it back in the deck, "The Rabbit Prince, capricious in combat and full of whimsey." She takes Gamon's card as well, "The cricket, ah fortune favors you today. Speed and quick passage on your journey."


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon frowns at Zellara's tear. He approaches her and opens his arms a bit, offering her a hug.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    Aloysia smiles a genuine smile at Jolon's admission of being with the Church of Pharasma. "I think I'm going to like having you around."

    As Zellara enters, Aloysia sets her face back to a serene but unreadable expression. However, at the mention of Gaedren Lamm's name the briefest flash of anger crosses her face, but she doesn't hold it for long.

    Let's see what fate has to say!: 1d6 ⇒ 4

    She reaches out tapping a card.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Cecil watches the fortune teller intently but has nothing he can offer while she's performing her harrowing. He does watch the ritual with interest.

    I wonder what kind of magic is in this Harrowing of hers... I haven't tried searching using a spell like this, but if it found Gaedren, then it could be useful.

    He allows himself to hope, if only for a moment. I'm coming, honey. I'll find you.


    Zellara finishes the choosing very quickly, "The Juggler, though his smile does not shine on you fondly. Performing multiple roles at once, chasing down one thing while doing another."

    "These are the roles chosen by the fates for your near future, may the help you find Lamm." Her voice cracks on the last few words and she soundlessly accepts Jolon's embrace. She recovers and continues, "Now onto the spread." She shuffles all the cards quickly, they seem to dance upon her fingers, before laying out nine cards in three rows of three.

    "The past," she intones, pointing at the first column, "is set in stone and as such is focused with order."
    First Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + (2) = 11
    "The Demon's Lantern." She looks directly at Cecil, "You find yourself in a mire, though a guide will light your way out."
    Second Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + (2) = 8
    "The Crows. Your loved ones or treasures have been taken from all of you at one point or another."
    Third Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + (6) = 7
    "The Empty Throne. The losses of your past will lead to strength in your future."

    "The present," she points at the second column "is the meeting point of entropy and order. It is the sum of the past and open to the infinite possibilities of the future."
    First Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + (3) = 5
    "The Brass Dwarf. A good omen, and bad, for you will find yourself invulnerable to the peril of the present, though not in-injured."
    Second Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + (3) = 11
    "The Mountain Man. Your physical power will assist you in the present."
    Third Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + (4) = 10
    "The Idiot. Beware, this card holds much potential in your present, it speaks of danger hidden in foolishness and greed."

    "Finally, the future," she points at the third column, "is chaotic and infinite possibilities exist."
    First Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (2) = 6
    "The Cricket." She looks this time at Gamon, "Speed and alacrity will serve you well while flying above the streets of Korvosa."
    Second Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + (6) = 13
    "The Unicorn. Those which you seek will be yours again."
    Third Card: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + (5) = 13
    "The Carnival. Illusions of reality will lead you astray in your hunt."

    Zellara finishes the Harrow, the room warming a few degrees from a chill you did not notice leaving. She smiles, though it is weary, "Now you know of your past, the dangers of the present, and some predictions of the future. I wish you good fortune in the times to come, though I do wish to know more of you, the tales in the streets and predictions from the cards were not too specific."

    Your knowledge of the future enables you to act quicker. Please keep track of these 'Harrow' points and in the campaign thread I will show you what you can do with them (this chapter).
    Cecil and Gamon get 5 Harrow Points
    Aloysia and Jolon get 4 Harrow Points
    Note: These last until the 'next' Harrowing you undergo


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    "Thank you, Zellara. I feel like perhaps this will be possible, after all. With these people's help, perhaps even guaranteed."

    He turns to the other three. "I will go with you, and lend my magical talents to your fight. But know this... I do not intend to spare Gaedren, and if I can... I will end him painfully. He took the only thing that made living worthwhile from me."


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    She listens to Cecil say his piece, I like this guy, he just might do the risky part of my contract for me.

    She responds in a dulcet tone, "Well, good sir...Cecil, yes? If Lamm has taken so much from you Cecil, then it only seems right that you end him. I will help you get close to him, this I promise."


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon hugs Zellara and then listens to her read the Harrowing to them.

    "Birth and death are written in the bones, but bones can be broken." he says idly.

    When they finish, he looks to the others, a serious look on his face.

    "I don't think anyone here has any intention of sparing him, Cecil. That scumbag murdered my mother in cold blood. Left me an orphan alone in a city that hates those like me. Through the Church and my own will I haven't let it crush and consume me. But if you want to deal the deathblow to Gaedren, I won't stop you. Hell I'll HELP you make it. I'll keep you alive to make sure it's done." Jolon replies.


    Whenever you're done at Zellara's place.

    You find the old fishery rather quickly. It's typical that Lamm would pick a place as decrepit as he is to hide out. It is creaky and covered with mold and grit. The fishery itself is perched on a steep embankment, roughly 13 feet below is the Jeggare River, and it looks like the walls of the fishery extend down to a few feet above the water.

    All of the external windows are boarded shut but have ample slits for easy sight lines. Occasionally you see shadows move across the boards from the inside.


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Cecil stays around the corner, so as to avoid being spotted.

    "I'll admit I havent really thought about how to proceed from here." he says, rubbing his tired eyes.

    -Posted with Wayfinder


    M Human Slayer 3 (HP 28/28| AC:17 | T:12 | FF:15 | CMB: 6| CMD:18 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+7 | Speed 20)

    Gamon stays behind Cecil, peeking quickly around the corner to check the situation, Does anyone think they're sneaky enough to get close and scout out the fishery?


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    "Allow me," Aloysia says with a smile. She makes a couple of circuits around the surrounding area, but not close enough to be conspicuous. She looks specifically for areas she might be able access by climbing either the fishery or any structures in close vicinity. She'll also see about potential water access areas if nothing distinct stands out higher up.

    Here's a few rolls in case you need multiple checks

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

    After scouting at a distance she will find a dark alley or tucked away place to apply a commoner's disguise to be as nondescript as she can be.

    Disguise with kit: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

    Then, she walks near the building, but not directly to it to see if just passing by triggers any kind of response from nearby people who may be in the employ of Lamm, and how they react to a stranger's presence.

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

    I wait here to see what the results are of all of this before adding more or if anyone else has other things they want to do as well.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon grimaces at the smell of the fishery. While they're waiting for Aloysia to return, he crosses his arms and attempts small talk.

    "So...Cecil. You said you're a writer. What do you write?"


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Cecil leans against the wall they're hiding by, and rubs the bridge of his nose. "Did I say I was an author? I guess I did..." he says, pinching his nose. "Old habits."

    Sighing, he takes his hand from his face and waves it dismissively. "Ah, you know. I go by a pen name. The Rosegilt, if you must know. Only wrote a few romance novels..."

    He starts ticking them off on his hands. "Flames Without Time, The Heat And The Harrow, The Nymph With Red Hair, Confessions Of A Shadow, Will Of The River, The Forest Dancers, Gods Of Lust, The Calistrian Conspiracy, Kyton's Kiss..."

    He shrugs. "It made me more money than my education at the academy ever made me, I guess. I... haven't sent my last manuscript in yet. Eye of the Beholder."


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon blinks in surprise.

    "I think I saw Bishop d'Bear reading Will of the River once. I didn't realize it was a romance novel she was reading!"


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Cecil nods. "I wrote all manner of styles of romance. Will of the River was relatively tame, compared to, let's say, Gods of Lust. Though if she liked that one, she's going to either adore or furiously hate Kyton's Kiss... let's just say I had to do a lot of research into Zon-Kuthon's 'thing' for that novel."

    He chuckles for the first time in many months... as if doing something about his trouble had started cracking at the smothering ennui that pervaded his life. "I'm never going to look at whips and chains the same way."


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon shudders.


    The westmost door (Main door)
    The reek of brine and the stink of week-dead fish hang thickly in the air here. The old double doors in the side of this weathered building are tightly closed, with a drooping signpost hanging above. The sign it once displayed is long gone, leaving behind only a single short length of rusted chain.

    SECRET ROLLS!:
    Disguise: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

    The loading dock to the north
    A fifteen-foot-wide loading dock abuts the side of the building here. A few carts sit nearby, partially loaded with large, tar-caked barrels marked with a fish-shaped splotch of red paint on the side. Double doors to the immediate south of the loading dock’s ramp provide access to the building’s interior, while a rickety flight of stairs descends ten feet to a point just three feet over the river’s surface, where a simple door provides a secondary entrance. The doors are kept slightly ajar, except for one point in time where a cart is wheeled out and taken by some teamsters. The cart is loaded down with foul smelling fish slurry. Four children are led out to help load the slurry into the cart while directed by a gnome dressed as a human child. None of them react to seeing a stranger here and everyone keeps their head down.

    The boardwalk to the south
    A slippery boardwalk clings to the side of the fishery, held together by barnacle-encrusted pilings that have had half of their thickness worn away below the waterline twelve feet below. A door is seen on this boardwalk, though no one enters or exits from it. The dock slopes downward approaching the ship docked to the east and looks extremely slick, which could be hazardous considering the lack of handrails.

    The ship to the east The Kraken's Folly
    The rotten deck of this ancient sailing ship seems to be barely intact; its hull is worn and thick with seaweed and barnacles. The ship is held together primarily by the layers of old rope that lash it securely to the pilings that support the fishery and the nearby boardwalk. The rickety walkway leads along the ship’s starboard, a foot below its railing. A single wooden door leading into the aft cabin bears a crude painting of a red fish on its surface.

    Peering down at the underpier
    Looking out from the nearby adjacent pier you can see just below the fishery. A narrow space exists under the fishery, with about three feet of room between the floor of the eastern side of the building and the languid, foamy river water below. Wooden pilings support the building, and thick mats of moss and cobwebs hang from ropes and rusted chains between them. A wooden walkway floats on the river’s surface, winding along the inner wall of pilings that supports the building’s frame above. The walkway leads from the sodden ship to the east all the way west to a small two-and-a-half-foot-square door that leads into an understructure below the fishery’s land-bound half. The pilings below this understructure are densely arrayed, leaving only narrow gaps into the water below that area.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 2
    Stats:
    CONDITION:Str -1 (Poison), Harrow Points:4, AC 16 (13/13), Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +8, HP 10/16

    Aloysia returns to the group in a very different appearance than when she left. Her clothes are ragged and there's dirt caked around her face and beneath her fingernails.

    "It looks like we have options to choose from! The north side looks to be the easiest entrance to get in, but also the most densely populated. They never really shut the delivery doors there, but I expect there are quite a few people right inside those large double-doors.

    The boardwalk on the south might be an option. There's a door that seems relatively unused, but the boardwalk looks to be quite treacherous to negotiate.

    The dilapidated ship on the east side is most certainly tied to the fishery, it has the same fish marking on it. I suppose it's possible that there may be supplies, uniforms, or the like on the ship we could use but it would be a risk to board with limited potential for rewarding our efforts. Regardless, it's something to think about.

    The underpier might be our best option. There's a small walkway under the fishery that leads to a very small hatch in the floor of the fishery. It comes from the ship, so I'm sure it's used for supplies, but I didn't see anyone milling about down there.

    The last option is I could try to get in alone to scout security, but there's a fair chance someone in there might recognize me. I've spent time in this district. What do you all think?"


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    "Underneath sounds like the best option." Cecil answers. "Are we ready to go?" he asks.

    If yes, he will cast mage armor on himself.

    -Posted with Wayfinder


    Map updated with new knowledge. The pegs on the lower side are the pylons of the walkway up top.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 3, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 30/30, F+5 R+2 W+2 / CMB +4, CMD 14/ Init +0, Perc. +1]

    Jolon nods.

    "I'll admit tactics in a fight are still very new to me. Fighting living people who can think is probably trickier than fighting mindless undead in the Grey District..."

    He adjusts the klar on his left arm.

    "Lead the way, Aloysia."


    Init +1; Senses low-light vision; Perception +8; Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +4; AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10; hp 14/17; Immune sleep; Arcane reservoir (9/9)

    Now clad in armor of force, Cecil feels as prepared as he can be. "Yes, let's find this bastard." he says with surprising backbone.


    So how do you guys plan on getting to the underpier? The embankments down to the river's edge require a DC 10 climb check to scale successfully, but you still won't get to the pier itself without swimming or coming up with another plan.

    1 to 50 of 1,018 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Fez's Curse of the Crimson Throne All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
    Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

    Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.