What to make quick references on when dming


Advice


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm going to start running my home brew campaign after finishing a module. Im the dm screen I have is amazing for many quick references. But I was wondering what you all create quick references of for your own games to keep the game rolling.


Definitely Standard DCs by level, they follow an unintuitive progression and are required for Recall Knowledge checks.

Humbly,
Yawar


I've created my own GM Sheet for a lot of rules references along with Campaign Notes/References. It has a thread here which I occasionally update as I add new things and/or receive feedback I think would be helpful (such as recently adding a customizable random name generator for NPCs).

Overall, some things I find particularly useful to quickly reference during games:
-Conditions, Monster Abilities, & Weapon Traits
-Simple DCs, DCs by Level, and DC Adjustments
-Basic Actions & common Skill Actions (especially Treat Wounds)
-Some type of reference for time passed in the campaign & PC stats/notes.


Charon Onozuka wrote:

I've created my own GM Sheet for a lot of rules references along with Campaign Notes/References. It has a thread here which I occasionally update as I add new things and/or receive feedback I think would be helpful (such as recently adding a customizable random name generator for NPCs).

Overall, some things I find particularly useful to quickly reference during games:
-Conditions, Monster Abilities, & Weapon Traits
-Simple DCs, DCs by Level, and DC Adjustments
-Basic Actions & common Skill Actions (especially Treat Wounds)
-Some type of reference for time passed in the campaign & PC stats/notes.

When would you use simple DC over level based DC with adjustments?


For things that don't make sense to be tied to levels, most notably environmental challenges, and as a general guideline for making up DCs.

Sovereign Court

Also, for things that don't make sense to change DC as the PCs level up.

For example, jumping across a gap, shouldn't get harder as you level up. If you're into Athletics, eventually you're going to be able to consistently jump across bigger and bigger gaps.

This consistency is important: players know which of these static checks they can do reliably enough that it's a reliable tactic.


Basically: When setting DCs related to things that have levels (monsters, items, etc.) the DCs by Level table is great. Otherwise, the Simple DCs are great for tasks related to the world/environment or anything else that does not have a clear level involved. Because trying to decide something like, "What level is this river?" typically ends up taking too long in game-time and ends up feeling inconsistent to players.

For something a bit more specific, my first session of PF2 after the Playtest had a player wanting to do something Acrobatic which wasn't defined in the rules. So to establish a DC, I used a Simple DC and then applied an adjustment ("Easy") to get a quick number to run with.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
YawarFiesta wrote:

Definitely Standard DCs by level, they follow an unintuitive progression and are required for Recall Knowledge checks.

Humbly,
Yawar

If I recall correctly, standard DC is 14+level +1 for every 3 levels. So for example, level 16 standard DC is 14+16+5 (1 for 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th and 15th)

Once you figure the formula out it’s easy to calc on the fly without the chart. Hope that helps!


Liegence wrote:
YawarFiesta wrote:

Definitely Standard DCs by level, they follow an unintuitive progression and are required for Recall Knowledge checks.

Humbly,
Yawar

If I recall correctly, standard DC is 14+level +1 for every 3 levels. So for example, level 16 standard DC is 14+16+5 (1 for 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th and 15th)

Once you figure the formula out it’s easy to calc on the fly without the chart. Hope that helps!

That definitely helps me. Looking stuff up with a screen reader often takes more time than doing math in my head so this will definitely save time at my table.

Much thanks!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Advice / What to make quick references on when dming All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.