Fighter - Weapon Training groups


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


Is there some place where weapon training groups are regularly updated? I have a PC who's using a dorn dergar and a boulder helmet and can't find an official listing beyond the core book listing that GM's can add to these groups.

Dark Archive

I think Melee Tactics Toolbox printed updated lists, but I'm not sure.

If not, my advice would be save you obscure dwarven weapons specialist for a home game where the GM can apply some reason to the rules. Not every build is a good fit for PFS. Which is sad, because Dorn Dergars are incredible.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

If we're lucky, information on at least one of those might be forthcoming in Inner Sea Races. ^_^

Shadow Lodge

I don't think many dms would balk at putting the helmet in the close weapons group. You can't get closer to a fight than your skull.

If you have fairly regular dm or three ask them and see what they think. Sans a handy rule that i don't think exists its going to be table variation, so ask the tables.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Here's hoping racial weapons become a weapon group. A fighter themed around all dwarven or all elven weapons could be fun.


Thralleon wrote:

Is there some place where weapon training groups are regularly updated? I have a PC who's using a dorn dergar and a boulder helmet and can't find an official listing beyond the core book listing that GM's can add to these groups.

They were updated in both Ultimate Combat and Ulimate Equipment. I don't see the dorn dergar on those lists, though. (Melee Tactics Toolbox only lists the groups for the new weapons, as far as I can tell.)

Basically, I'd find the closest weapon in style that has a group and then check with your GM before each session. My best guess is meteor hammer, which is in the Flail group. And almost anything with a chain and weight is in the Flail group, anyway. (Remember that weapons can land in more than one group.)

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
RealAlchemy wrote:
Here's hoping racial weapons become a weapon group. A fighter themed around all dwarven or all elven weapons could be fun.

There's actually some precedent for this - the Elven Weapon Training feat. Or whatever its name is. ^_^

Shadow Lodge

Kalindlara wrote:
RealAlchemy wrote:
Here's hoping racial weapons become a weapon group. A fighter themed around all dwarven or all elven weapons could be fun.
There's actually some precedent for this - the Elven Weapon Training feat. Or whatever its name is. ^_^

"My weapons designer, I use it ironically" ?


BigNorseWolf wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
RealAlchemy wrote:
Here's hoping racial weapons become a weapon group. A fighter themed around all dwarven or all elven weapons could be fun.
There's actually some precedent for this - the Elven Weapon Training feat. Or whatever its name is. ^_^
"My weapons designer, I use it ironically" ?

I actually use them hatefully. It's a half-orc with the racial weapon training boon.

Paizo Employee Developer

Today's blog covers which of the newest weapons fall into each weapon category. I don't know how often we'll update it, but it's current up through October 2015's publications.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Fighter - Weapon Training groups All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.