Kitsune Needs More Feats


Advice


So I'm trying to make a kitsune who maxes out on the tails asap. Problem is, the only class feature I've found to get an extra feat that's not restricted to a list is the rogue's/ninja's feat advanced talent/master trick. While that's technically an option, I'm still wondering if there's any way to do it better/earlier.


Play a fighter devote the fighter stuff to a character playability and the normal feats for levelling to the tails.


I'm looking for ways to get all the tails before 15th level


He's right, that's pretty much the only way.


Let me worry about the rest of the build, right now I just need to know if I missed any other ways of grabbing the tail feat besides that one advanced talent


Nope, it's just the Rogue Talent that lets you pick a general feat for free.

You really just need to go with the Fighter if you want to do this.


Master of the Dark Triad wrote:
He's right, that's pretty much the only way.

Casters can do it much better than fighters imo. Spells don't need much more oomph than their given by being spells. Ironically a caster needs it least and a fighter wouldnt' be able to put much oomph into it himself, as opposed to the sorcerer who has a high charisma and a FCB that boost enchanting spells. Fighters ironically lose what room they have to have versatility because they only have their bonus combat feats.

More seriously, ask your GM to turn it into a scaling feat, or even several scaling feats, but my gosh, as a nine feats its pretty just makes it npc worthy. Heck, go on a bloody side quest for a magical item, go meditating, lots of delicious ways to go about houseruling it that don't involve shooting yourself in the foot.

Liberty's Edge

As you note, you can manage it at 13th as a Rogue or Ninja (the latter is actually not a bad build), and still have Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, and any one other Combat Feat. That's...not an awful build with TWF and Vanishing Trick.

Nobody else can get it before 15th, I don't think.


Deadmanwalking wrote:

As you note, you can manage it at 13th as a Rogue or Ninja (the latter is actually not a bad build), and still have Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus, and any one other Combat Feat. That's...not an awful build with TWF and Vanishing Trick.

Nobody else can get it before 15th, I don't think.

Aside from the TWF that is what I had in mind.


Mojorat wrote:
Play a fighter devote the fighter stuff to a character playability and the normal feats for levelling to the tails.

The APG playtest also has the Slayer, which is a rogue/ranger alternate class. It allows slayer talents on every even level which can include the rogue combat trick talent (Combat Feats) and all feats on 10 and later. With a Slayer you could essentially get just one feat less than a Fighter.

With that in mind, the tails aren't going to be very combat-optimized. The entire feat progression should've been more caster-centric since by lore magical tails equal magic power, but most casters won't get anything useful from these tails. Still, they might become useful in one or two-person games.


Prestige classes might help. E.g. Alchemist (mindchemist) 1/Wizard 6/alchemist +1/Loremaster 5 - class feats qualify for the PrC, Loremaster gives you a general feat as one of the secrets.


Katydid wrote:
Mojorat wrote:
Play a fighter devote the fighter stuff to a character playability and the normal feats for levelling to the tails.

The APG playtest also has the Slayer, which is a rogue/ranger alternate class. It allows slayer talents on every even level which can include the rogue combat trick talent (Combat Feats) and all feats on 10 and later. With a Slayer you could essentially get just one feat less than a Fighter.

With that in mind, the tails aren't going to be very combat-optimized. The entire feat progression should've been more caster-centric since by lore magical tails equal magic power, but most casters won't get anything useful from these tails. Still, they might become useful in one or two-person games.

For myself, Kitsune Fighter using dervish dance or archery. 16 or 18 dex, 14 con 14-16 charisma. Before anyone says 'kitsune make horrible fighters' people need to realize that the game is not actually that hard.

The above character gets 4-6 sp (depending on fav class) and traits can give you class skill. You could succeed on any Adventure path with this character without difficulty.

The key thing also is the Tails give the Kitsune fighter some defensive stuff that is really useful and some of the other spells help with a face or trickery role.


Mojorat wrote:
Before anyone says 'kitsune make horrible fighters' people need to realize that the game is not actually that hard.

They don't make horrible fighters on their own, but they do make worse fighters than say, a human with a +2 to strength. It effectively makes a -4 strength, and their racial features aren't exactly fighter friendly. Fighters don't really need to be cranking their charisma, so that +2 charisma isn't really amazing for a fighter either. Regardless of whether this game is hard or not, they aren't really the best fighters in the world.

As a thought, the slayer option would also keep your Kitsune going with any skilled fighter theme you might want. Similarly, a ranger going two handed can get power attack > Furious Focus > Dreadful Carnage without sinking a feat into combat, and two handed weapons don't need much more really. Slayers have access to the same combat styles and can ignore pre-requisites just like the ranger.


I like White Haired Witch 2/ Ninja 3/ Arcane Trickster 10 better than the Ninja 13 build. If you are going to keep taking Magical Tail you qualify for Arcane Trickster at 6th not 7th, and I think that the 5th level spells at 12th make up for the 2 levels slower tails progression. Same basic concept but natural attacks instead of TWF.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Kitsune Needs More Feats All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.