What EXACTLY is the inquisitor?


Advanced Player's Guide Playtest General Discussion

1 to 50 of 86 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

I'm really curious about this inquisitor class. Any ideas as to what it might be? I'm hoping its something like the justiciar prestige class from Complete Warrior. That would be awesome....

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a divine class that's a seeker of truth and knowledge.

Dark Archive

Twiggie14 wrote:
I'm really curious about this inquisitor class. Any ideas as to what it might be? I'm hoping its something like the justiciar prestige class from Complete Warrior. That would be awesome....

No offense, but god i hope not. I hated that prestige class...and many others that followed in the complete series. Don't get me wrong, complete warrior (and other completes) had their golden gems in there too.

My theory is that it is a cross between a Ranger/Rogue/Paladin...I'm hoping more for a high-skill, monster hunter-type class that doesn't rely on spells, animals, or a particular fighting style. Beyond that, i have no idea.


my understanding is that its sort of the divine version of a bard. High skills, some spells, some martial ability

Its also apparently going to have a mechanic that allows the character to get tougher as the fight drags on

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm actually hoping it will be a bit like the 4E Avenger. A low armor divine sanctioned assassin.

Dark Archive

DragonBringerX wrote:
My theory is that it is a cross between a Ranger/Rogue/Paladin... I'm hoping more for a high-skill, monster hunter-type class that doesn't rely on spells, animals, or a particular fighting style. Beyond that, i have no idea.

A Witch Hunter / Solomon Kane sort of class would rock into new levels of rockingness.

Some sort of Fighter / Archivist / Knowledge Devotion sort of build, who learns about his foe as he fights them and gets to capitalize on that as the fight progresses, sounds like an option.


Whatever it is, I'm guessing that it's not quite like any of the guesses so far ;) .... and it's not too long until we'll find out.

Mind you, I'm itching with curiosity myself, especially since it's the class I'm most eager to get a look at.


I'm hoping for a good BAB class that specializes in fighting spellcasters. I'm also hoping it doesn't learn any spells (spell-like abilities are okay , though).

I have high hopes for the next round in general as those two classes are the ones I've been looking forward to the most.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

From the little description we've had so far, I'm imagining a divine caster using the bard progression with special abilities based on knowledge skills and bonuses against creatures that it makes successful knowledge checks to learn more about.


What I immediately thought of when reading the class was something like the 4e Avenger - some sort of divine combatant class. The bard-like aspect mentioned upthread also intrigues me. (If I'll be playtesting on the player side of the table, it'll probably be as an Inquisitor.

I also like the fluff (that I might have imagined...) of being the a church's behind-the-scenes guy as opposed to the somewhat more crusader-like Cleric or Paladin.

Really, from my perspective, Paizo saved the best for last (I'm almost as excited about the Alchemist), so I can hardly wait.


ZebulonXenos wrote:
Really, from my perspective, Paizo saved the best for last (I'm almost as excited about the Alchemist), so I can hardly wait.

hmmmm, its gonna be hard to top the Witch, but we shall see


Set wrote:
DragonBringerX wrote:
My theory is that it is a cross between a Ranger/Rogue/Paladin... I'm hoping more for a high-skill, monster hunter-type class that doesn't rely on spells, animals, or a particular fighting style. Beyond that, i have no idea.

A Witch Hunter / Solomon Kane sort of class would rock into new levels of rockingness.

Some sort of Fighter / Archivist / Knowledge Devotion sort of build, who learns about his foe as he fights them and gets to capitalize on that as the fight progresses, sounds like an option.

I'm hoping so, and this is a niche that isn't really supported by existing mechanics, so it will be fun to see.

I'm just hoping it isn't randomly charisma based.


It will be Spanish. No one expects that!


KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!

Thanks for the laugh. Hopefully they get the reference...

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
R_Chance wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!
Thanks for the laugh. Hopefully they get the reference...

The Inquisition, let's begin

The Inquisition, look out sin
We have a mission to convert the Jews
We're gonna teach them wrong from right.
We're gonna help them see the light
and make an offer that they can't refuse.
That those Jews just can't refuse

Confess, don't be boring.
Say yes, don't be dull.
A fact you're ignoring:
It's better to lose your skull cap than your skull, or your govalt!
The Inquisition, what a show
The Inquistion, here we go
We know you're wishin' that we'd go away.
But the Inquisition's here and it's here to stay!

Liberty's Edge

Tim Statler wrote:
I'm actually hoping it will be a bit like the 4E Avenger. A low armor divine sanctioned assassin.

Agreed.

Dark Archive

R_Chance wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!
Thanks for the laugh. Hopefully they get the reference...

Fetch the comfy chair !!!!


My guess: the inquisitor is like the ranger, but with less focus on woodcraft and more focus on general monster-fighting.


Cardinal Biggles wrote:
R_Chance wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!
Thanks for the laugh. Hopefully they get the reference...
Fetch the comfy chair !!!!

Not the comfy chair!!!!


Bring out the nuns!


KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!

I don't appreciate being called no one: first thought on reading the word Inquisition = Spanish Inquisition meets Chelish Inquisition, and oh how painful it was to realize it was most likely not the fact (still hoping the flavour has room for it)

"Seriousity" aside, thanks so much for that mention, and all that followed.

*ponders... Inquisitor. Bard. Hmm... well, worse things have happened. Who needs torture if you get Zone of Truth? ... why is it I keep making this class Chelish? Anyone?*

Liberty's Edge

Set wrote:
DragonBringerX wrote:
My theory is that it is a cross between a Ranger/Rogue/Paladin... I'm hoping more for a high-skill, monster hunter-type class that doesn't rely on spells, animals, or a particular fighting style. Beyond that, i have no idea.

A Witch Hunter / Solomon Kane sort of class would rock into new levels of rockingness.

Some sort of Fighter / Archivist / Knowledge Devotion sort of build, who learns about his foe as he fights them and gets to capitalize on that as the fight progresses, sounds like an option.

this I would like

Liberty's Edge

Luthia wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!

I don't appreciate being called no one: first thought on reading the word Inquisition = Spanish Inquisition meets Chelish Inquisition, and oh how painful it was to realize it was most likely not the fact (still hoping the flavour has room for it)

"Seriousity" aside, thanks so much for that mention, and all that followed.

*ponders... Inquisitor. Bard. Hmm... well, worse things have happened. Who needs torture if you get Zone of Truth? ... why is it I keep making this class Chelish? Anyone?*

unfortunately the Spanish Inquisitio brought infame to the inquisitor... but the inquisition began in Italy and spreaded throught the catolic world... the reason it was so brutal in Spain is that since the Spanish Empire was the biggest in the world (in those times controling almost all the American continent from Mexico (which extended a good portion fo US) to Argentina with some exceptions... its King was given special permision to oversee the church officials... soon the Spanish Inquisition becoming more both a political and religious tool.

Besides it began simply as inquisirers... they searched suspects and asked questions until the truth came to light (that is why inquisitor... it was about making inquires) the tortur came a lot later.

i would try and dig my old documentation (did a work about the spanish and mexican inquisirion so many years ago) but I have no f#$%ing idea where I left it... only the finished work but its msotly borad presentation and conclusions.

for this reason I can see Inquisitors as seekers of the truth, hunters of evil... I remember Iomedae is looking for Internal Affairs... this IS the work of the Inquisitor

The Exchange

When do they post the 3rd playtest set of classes? Wasn't that supposed to be today?


Fake Healer wrote:

When do they post the 3rd playtest set of classes? Wasn't that supposed to be today?

Nope, on the 14. 2 weeks for each pair of classes.

The Exchange

Davi The Eccentric wrote:
Fake Healer wrote:

When do they post the 3rd playtest set of classes? Wasn't that supposed to be today?

Nope, on the 14. 2 weeks for each pair of classes.

Damn. I was hoping that it was this week.....

Oh well.....
*taps foot impatiently for another dang week*


I expect it to be similiar in structure to the bard.

D8 HD, 3/4 BAB, all simple weapons, probably a handfull of appropriate martial weapons and medium armour.

Overall I expect a high skill focus withlimited divine casting (becuase we need skill heavy alternatives, aside from bards and rogues)

Batts

Dark Archive

Ah, but you're all wrong... Inquisitor is tailored for the Asmodean Inquisition, and as a Chelaxian-based class it is going to be totally overpowered and broken!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Confess! Confess! Confess! Confess!


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
Spanish Inquisition wrote:
Confess! Confess! Confess! Confess!

Hey!

Hey, you! Yeah, you!

I was actually expecting you the other day! I got mustard instead.

Frakking Burger King!

Dark Archive

I'm hoping for a bolt pistol and powerfist myself. The Emperor Protects!

Liberty's Edge

YuenglingDragon wrote:
I'm hoping for a bolt pistol and powerfist myself. The Emperor Protects!

at least un til he found someone worthier than thou, then you shallbe free and out of his sight, and to the stars with your Trader's Chart!


No one wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
It will be Spanish. No one expects that!

I don't appreciate being called no one: first thought on reading the word Inquisition = Spanish Inquisition meets Chelish Inquisition, and oh how painful it was to realize it was most likely not the fact (still hoping the flavour has room for it)

"Seriousity" aside, thanks so much for that mention, and all that followed.

*ponders... Inquisitor. Bard. Hmm... well, worse things have happened. Who needs torture if you get Zone of Truth? ... why is it I keep making this class Chelish? Anyone?*

You get all kinds.


Montalve wrote:
soon the Spanish Inquisition becoming more both a political and religious tool.

Since when have those been different? That must have started very recently.


Twiggie14 wrote:
I'm really curious about this inquisitor class. Any ideas as to what it might be?

I hope the Inquisitor is a "Van Helsing" type of class. Monster hunter extraordinaire.


Shadow13.com wrote:
Twiggie14 wrote:
I'm really curious about this inquisitor class. Any ideas as to what it might be?
I hope the Inquisitor is a "Van Helsing" type of class. Monster hunter extraordinaire.

I do believe Van Helsing was specifically mentioned at GenCon Oz as being an inspiration for the initial design of the Inquisitor, so you should wind up happy :)


I keep seeing the Mord-Sith from Terry Goodkind in The Sword of Truth series and Legend of the Seeker TV Show for some reason when I think Inquisitor.


KaeYoss wrote:
Montalve wrote:
soon the Spanish Inquisition becoming more both a political and religious tool.
Since when have those been different? That must have started very recently.

Well, I would argue that although there is some overlap, politics is largely a matter of supporting one human ruler or another, with a possible side-glance towards their morality, and only exists in the social, collective sphere -- whereas religion is at least partly an internal dialogue between the individual and the infinite, a system of interpreting reality, and a code of conduct, and can exist in the individual without needing to be part of a collective process.

Who you vote for seems to me to have less impact on personal behavior than your fundamental beliefs about the nature of reality, although said beliefs may influence your politics when you decide who to vote for.

In other words, my religion would still have a real effect on my behavior and outlook even if I were literally the last person on Earth, whereas being a Republic or Democrat, a democrat (in the larger sense) or a royalist, a Whig or a Tory, or whatever, would be totally moot at that point, because those only have a meaningful existence when there's a big herd of people with the same view. In short, politics can be -- and often are -- informed or modified by a belief system, but there's still a divide, because each can exist in the absence of the other.

I'd better shut up now before I cause too big of a derailing.

/derail off

I'm hoping for a van Helsing type, myself, actually, and the prognosis is looking good so far. However, since the 4 classes we've seen so far have been both unexpected in some ways, and generally excellent, I'm also hoping for a pleasant surprise! :)


Carnivorous_Bean wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
Montalve wrote:
soon the Spanish Inquisition becoming more both a political and religious tool.
Since when have those been different? That must have started very recently.

Well, I would argue that although there is some overlap, politics is largely a matter of supporting one human ruler or another, with a possible side-glance towards their morality, and only exists in the social, collective sphere -- whereas religion is at least partly an internal dialogue between the individual and the infinite, a system of interpreting reality, and a code of conduct, and can exist in the individual without needing to be part of a collective process.

In the end, it's other people telling me what to do and what not to do, and who is supposed to rule me. They just use different excuses.

Carnivorous_Bean wrote:


Who you vote for seems to me to have less impact on personal behavior than your fundamental beliefs about the nature of reality, although said beliefs may influence your politics when you decide who to vote for.

My belief is my belief. Call it "faith", if you will. It's still all mine. I decide for myself what's right and wrong, listening to my inner compass.

Carnivorous_Bean wrote:


In other words, my religion would still have a real effect on my behavior and outlook even if I were literally the last person on Earth

Without any clerics telling you what to do? ;-P

Carnivorous_Bean wrote:


I'm hoping for a van Helsing type, myself, actually, and the prognosis is looking good so far.

What I hope for is "expert-type hunter of heretics" where "expert-type" means someone with many areas of expertise, like a rogue or bard, and "heretic" means "enemy of my faith" be it monstrous or not.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
LMPjr007 wrote:
I keep seeing the Mord-Sith from Terry Goodkind in The Sword of Truth series and Legend of the Seeker TV Show for some reason when I think Inquisitor.

Muahaha. I just stole the Mord-Sith for an adventure I'm running. Got a Cara knock off running dual wielding Vicious Saps of Wounding (she's conveniently immune to the vicious attribute.)

Liberty's Edge

KaeYoss wrote:
Montalve wrote:
soon the Spanish Inquisition becoming more both a political and religious tool.
Since when have those been different? That must have started very recently.

in Spain IT was different, the power was not on the archbishops but the king :P

in Italy the Pope has his own army to break down whoever defied the church and the Vatican :P

so theya re distinct... they just look quite similar :P

Liberty's Edge

lets see if tey hit the nail and make the inquisitor more palatable than PF Cleric... *yes sometimes I still b$!*+ about that :P, long live Monte cook and his BoXM, by the way*


Montalve wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
Montalve wrote:
soon the Spanish Inquisition becoming more both a political and religious tool.
Since when have those been different? That must have started very recently.

in Spain IT was different, the power was not on the archbishops but the king :P

in Italy the Pope has his own army to break down whoever defied the church and the Vatican :P

so theya re distinct... they just look quite similar :P

I'm aware they're somewhat apart... still I'd say the overall theme is the same.

And well... Inquisitions are (okay have always been then) both religious and political tools or someone didn't tell me of some very recent change.

*generally enjoys the topic of discussion and gets into a random hysterically amused mood*


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
KaeYoss wrote:
They just use different excuses.

The dog ate your bailout. Seriously.

Wait, that's the same excuse, isn't it?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

I want the Inquisitor now dang it!

Dark Archive

SirUrza wrote:
I want the Inquisitor now dang it!

Me too!


ditto i was looking forward to the witch and inquisitor the most i think

Sovereign Court

SirUrza wrote:
LMPjr007 wrote:
I keep seeing the Mord-Sith from Terry Goodkind in The Sword of Truth series and Legend of the Seeker TV Show for some reason when I think Inquisitor.
Muahaha. I just stole the Mord-Sith for an adventure I'm running. Got a Cara knock off running dual wielding Vicious Saps of Wounding (she's conveniently immune to the vicious attribute.)

Mmm... Mord-Sith. Nothing like leather clad dominatrices FTW!!! Love that show.

Yeah a divine bard-like class with monster crushing powers is made of win in my book.

--Dick Clark's Vrockin' New Years Eve!


KaeYoss wrote:

What I hope for is "expert-type hunter of heretics" where "expert-type" means someone with many areas of expertise, like a rogue or bard, and "heretic" means "enemy of my faith" be it monstrous or not.

Exactly. My game's main Church has a Grand Inquisition. I'm hoping they will fit right in...

Dark Archive

Montalve wrote:
[in Spain IT was different, the power was not on the archbishops but the king :P

King of the who?

1 to 50 of 86 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Advanced Player's Guide Playtest / General Discussion / What EXACTLY is the inquisitor? All Messageboards