Why are orcs "vermin"?


Alpha Release 3 General Discussion


I'm just curious if anyone knows why orcs are categorized as "vermin" instead of humanoid?


Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

I'm just curious if anyone knows why orcs are categorized as "vermin" instead of humanoid?

Huh? Where did you read that?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

If you are referring to the ranger's favored enemy list on page 36 then those are two different columns. They are separate and not connected. Humanoid (orc) and Vermin are two different entries in that table.


Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

I'm just curious if anyone knows why orcs are categorized as "vermin" instead of humanoid?

What?! This is an outrage! An immediate retraction by the party responsible is demanded by the orcish community or we start launching raids in protest!


Zynete wrote:
If you are referring to the ranger's favored enemy list on page 36 then those are two different columns. They are separate and not connected. Humanoid (orc) and Vermin are two different entries in that table.

You are correct Zynete... that is where I saw it when I was glancing through the classes. That will teach me not to post before I read thoroughly :)

Sorry for the false alarm.

Dark Archive

Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

I'm just curious if anyone knows why orcs are categorized as "vermin" instead of humanoid?

They should. XD XD

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:
Zynete wrote:
If you are referring to the ranger's favored enemy list on page 36 then those are two different columns. They are separate and not connected. Humanoid (orc) and Vermin are two different entries in that table.

You are correct Zynete... that is where I saw it when I was glancing through the classes. That will teach me not to post before I read thoroughly :)

Sorry for the false alarm.

What do you mean, "false alarm?" Orcs have been and always will be vermin!

Dark Archive

Sir Groklok Cobblerpuncher III wrote:
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

I'm just curious if anyone knows why orcs are categorized as "vermin" instead of humanoid?

What?! This is an outrage! An immediate retraction by the party responsible is demanded by the orcish community or we start launching raids in protest!

This is exactly why the humanoid community considers orcs to be vermin. This is also why orc-human relationships should be banned. If we start allowing them to breed with us, soon we'll be overrun by them.

Grand Lodge

Orcs are vermin cause they are pests...

always have been always will be

Call in the Orcin Man! :)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I think a better question is 'Why aren't kobolds categorized as vermin?'

And the orcin' man comment above... Ouch. Clever, but ouch.

-Tarlane


Bah, you are just all in denial! Orcs are the most superior race... especially when contrasted against the prancing frail elves, or the lazy human scum that seem to temporarily occupy the lands of the orcs!

Orcs are stronger, breed quicker, have darkvision and are rightfully feared by all! Sure they may not be known for their great inventions, their craftmanship or creativity, but a few choice slaves can fill in those gaps!

Resistance is ridiculous! You will be destroyed!

"Rrrraaaarrrrrgggghh"!!!

Grand Lodge

[quote=]Resistance is ridiculous! You will be destroyed!

"Rrrraaaarrrrrgggghh"!!!

He spelled resistance and ridiculous correctly --- must be half-orc

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

Bah, you are just all in denial! Orcs are the most superior race... especially when contrasted against the prancing frail elves, or the lazy human scum that seem to temporarily occupy the lands of the orcs!

Orcs are stronger, breed quicker, have darkvision and are rightfully feared by all! Sure they may not be known for their great inventions, their craftmanship or creativity, but a few choice slaves can fill in those gaps!

Resistance is ridiculous! You will be destroyed!

"Rrrraaaarrrrrgggghh"!!!

Cockroaches feel this way too. It's ok, really.

Grand Lodge

the breeding part wouldn't be bad, but dude, there ain't enough brown bags! Uggg they could put your eyes out I suppose, but you still have to smell them!


David Fryer wrote:
This is exactly why the humanoid community considers orcs to be vermin. This is also why orc-human relationships should be banned. If we start allowing them to breed with us, soon we'll be overrun by them.

Stop oppressing our culture you ethnocentric player race!

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:
Bah, you are just all in denial! Orcs are the most superior race... especially when contrasted against the prancing frail elves, or the lazy human scum that seem to temporarily occupy the lands of the orcs!

Yeah, grunt and gurgle all you want. Just don't forget that my god is playing hacky sack with one of your god's eyeballs as we speak. ;p

Dark Archive

Sir Groklok Cobblerpuncher III wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
This is exactly why the humanoid community considers orcs to be vermin. This is also why orc-human relationships should be banned. If we start allowing them to breed with us, soon we'll be overrun by them.
Stop oppressing our culture you ethnocentric player race!

Orcs are just humans that failed to evolve.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Saurstalk wrote:
Yeah, grunt and gurgle all you want. Just don't forget that my god is playing hacky sack with one of your god's eyeballs as we speak. ;p

Wow. That's just...well, cold.


Ross Byers wrote:
Saurstalk wrote:
Yeah, grunt and gurgle all you want. Just don't forget that my god is playing hacky sack with one of your god's eyeballs as we speak. ;p
Wow. That's just...well, cold.

Bah! That's just a mistold elven tale! Your god "attempted" to shoot out an orc god's eye. He was not successful! But alas, elves being gifted with creativity... including wording... told a tale that the eye had actually been shot out. Soon all the populace across the lands began believing the mistold elven tale. Eventually this tale came back to the orcs from so many sources that even the orcs started to believe it and tell the same stupid tale!

According to Roger Moore the encounter went as such:

"Gruumsh ambushes Corellon in hopes of slaying him and drinking his blood, so as to inherit his special powers; Gruumsh fails, of course, through his own short-sightedness, and Corellon shoots an arrow at Gruumsh's eye.

Though the arrow failed to blind Gruumsh, apparently it was not intended to. Elven stories of the same event (much briefer than the tedious orc versions) say that Corellon meant the arrow as a warning to Gruumsh of his vulnerability -- a hint that it would only take the loss of his eye to break Gruumsh's power as a god, and that some being might be capable of bringing this about if he were not more careful. Though Gruumsh rails and curses the elven gods in many later stories, he never again tries to directly assault them, and spends his fury on mortal elves instead. Obviously, he took the hint."

Historical Reference:
Evolution of Gruumsh

Grand Lodge

Obviously he has his halfling slave writing for him. I cannot imagine an orc grunting out more than "Grunt."


Orcs are like vermin: They breed like vermin, they survive and thrive in all sorts of places other races won't go.... And they crack when you step on them :P

Dark Archive

KaeYoss wrote:
Orcs are like vermin: They breed like vermin, they survive and thrive in all sorts of places other races won't go.... And they crack when you step on them :P

They are even worse than smurfs.

Grand Lodge

WOW! Now that was low and cold... but true

lol


David Fryer wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
Orcs are like vermin: They breed like vermin, they survive and thrive in all sorts of places other races won't go.... And they crack when you step on them :P
They are even worse than smurfs.

Yeah. You can't even turn them to gold. Though Karzoug must have tried.

Hm... Karzoug is like Gargamel in that respect - except that Karzoug succeeded in turning people into gold.

All hail Lord Greed!


Orcs ARE vermin (thankfully). They are the perfect practice dummies for our dwarven young when they are learning to fight.

This is seriously a pointless discussion but I like it nonetheless.


KaeYoss wrote:
They are even worse than smurfs.

Now that was that really necessary???!!!! You have stepped way over the line!!!!

*grins*

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game / Alpha Playtest Feedback / Alpha Release 3 / General Discussion / Why are orcs "vermin"? All Messageboards
Recent threads in General Discussion