Adventuring Classes: Runemage Illuminated (PFRPG) PDF

Our Price: $1.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Summoner, protector, and master of symbols, the runemage commands great influence over the living, immortal, and undead. A new base class for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Product Availability

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZOPDFTRIADV0201E


See Also:

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Webstore Gninja Minion

Now available!


Thanks!


So how is it grabbing you guys?


Could we get a bit more information on it?


It's a nine spell level casting class that focuses on abjuration, summoning, and symbol magic. If you are familiar with RGG's Death Mage or the 3.5 Beguiler, you have an idea of the type of class: a specialist with a pared down selection of spells and some nice bonuses in their area of expertise. The runemage is designed to fairly flexible, offering selectable class abilities.


Interesting. Have to say I've been really looking for a class like this. A caster that can ward and protect his party while still contributing in a meaningful way to the group.

There are really 2 parts I'm not 100% thrilled with. The first is the that the capitalization seems to not be constant, especially with the Sigil Arts. Minor quirk at that, but I found it fairly distracting while reading it.

Besides that, the class is fairly solid. My only other issue with it was the lack of Advanced Arts. Only 7 total and you get 4 of those potentially through leveling. This hurts as up to this point there are so many choices you can really customize and define your character. When you reach advanced arts you lose a lot of that since there just isn't enough choices. Some more reactive defensive ability (immediate actions) or more choices for counter-spelling as the arcanist has gained would be worth considering to fill it out a bit.

Also, Advanced Wizardry could potentially be taken more than once, but it doesn't indicate that so from a RAW standpoint I'd suspect you could only take it once whether that is the intention or not. It would help this to a degree, though.

One thing that also confused me is in the "New Spells" section...are a lot of spells that aren't new. Many of the symbol spells are, but others here are spells Paizo has released previously. An example of this is Greater False Life, which is word for word the version of the spell released in Ultimate Magic. Not so much a bad thing, but it honestly confused me and made me wonder why it was listed the way it was.


OK, so it's presumably 1/2 BAB, d6 HD? I do love rune magic, so perhaps I'll acquire this.


I looked over the beta release, and it's a really interesting and, I think, easily playable rune casting class.


Aleron wrote:

Interesting. Have to say I've been really looking for a class like this. A caster that can ward and protect his party while still contributing in a meaningful way to the group.

There are really 2 parts I'm not 100% thrilled with. The first is the that the capitalization seems to not be constant, especially with the Sigil Arts. Minor quirk at that, but I found it fairly distracting while reading it.

I tried to fix that, but in the re-organization of the text, I probably missed a few. I will definitely give it a once over when I update for errata.

Quote:


Besides that, the class is fairly solid. My only other issue with it was the lack of Advanced Arts. Only 7 total and you get 4 of those potentially through leveling. This hurts as up to this point there are so many choices you can really customize and define your character. When you reach advanced arts you lose a lot of that since there just isn't enough choices. Some more reactive defensive ability (immediate actions) or more choices for counter-spelling as the arcanist has gained would be worth considering to fill it out a bit.

Also, Advanced Wizardry could potentially be taken more than once, but it doesn't indicate that so from a RAW standpoint I'd suspect you could only take it once whether that is the intention or not. It would help this to a degree, though.

Partially, that's a reflection of the space it occupies. The only time you have access to advanced arts but not grand arts is 10th, 12th, 14th, and 16th level. So, any two runemages could potentially make very different choices, aside from the fact that you can still choose the basic sigil arts, and also that I suspect sovereign symbol will be a popular choice to take multiple times.

Advanced Wizardry does not state it can be taken more than once, and cannot. I don't think taking it more than once would necessarily break the glass, but it's intended, with wizardry, to scratch an itch here and there, not open up the class to being a generalist wizard.

Quote:


One thing that also confused me is in the "New Spells" section...are a lot of spells that aren't new. Many of the symbol spells are, but others here are spells Paizo has released previously. An example of this is Greater False Life, which is word for word the version of the spell released in Ultimate Magic. Not so much a bad thing, but it honestly confused me and made me wonder why it was listed the way it was.

They are new if you don't have the core rulebook. They are identified as "new" so you don't bruise your thumb trying to find them in the core rulebook. :) Slow Construct is the only spell that is actually original to this book.


I like this class. It feels better for dwarves - perfect fit, in fact - than trying to mix wizard and sorcerer with dwarves. It feels more . . . Dwarfish!!


Thanks! That is definitely one concept I had in mind.


This has been a steady seller, but I haven't gotten a lot of comments. What are you guys using this for?

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Adventuring Classes: Runemage Illuminated (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.