redpandamage's page

138 posts. Alias of Adoril Recond.


RSS

1 to 50 of 138 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

What is difference between ethereals, undead, and spirits? Why is fungus its own thing?

Scarab Sages

“I found one very good article (I think it was Ashiel's blog) about disregarding the "silver piece a day" economy”

Where can I find this?

Scarab Sages

If you use opium and become fatigued and don't rest before your next dose, are you exhausted?

Scarab Sages

Backup bows are stupid in my opinion. Also, most combat happen in 50 feet so short bow looks better. Also, TWF get substantially more benefit from two weapons than archery, who is thematically built around 1 weapon.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That’s still stupid as fromexperience, training and strength fox that. Add minkinum strength if’s that’s the case. And doesn’t explain short bows.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ikos wrote:
Candlestick wrote:
Who is the nerf to longbows pleasing?
It accomodates GMs tired of watching the longbow dominated PF1 combat. Curbing it slightly was deliberate and realistic, if the latter matters. Historically, longbowmen were frequently kept behind the front lines as the weapon was used in a ballistic manner – the volley. The longbow is unweildy when aimed at level and ill-suited for tight quarters or close distances, especially when compared to shorter options.

That’s because you get wrecked on the melee with any ranger weapon. Short bows and crossbows were also used like that. And just because it dominated 1E doesn’t mean net it. Some weapons are always going to be bets at their niche. Finally, all you are doing is making shortbow the best weapon and removing an iconic weapon form use. Crossbow ranger has more support than longbow ranger.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Exactly. It seems like no one considered what a longbow is and just wanted to nerf them.

Scarab Sages

Neutral people aren’t trying hurt people is against the entire premise of the game: Hurtig people and taking their stuff.

Scarab Sages

Vic has said that they are willing to change everything and even delay the launch if needed, so I don’t get what you’re talking about.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, but even if those numbers are right, crossbows and slings seem to have more support than longbows. Especially in certain classes. (ranger)

Scarab Sages

Secret Wizard wrote:
redpandamage wrote:
I want to be able to make an archer ranger and there isn’t really a way to do it, even ignoring the fact that longbows were nerfed to hell for no reason.
Isn't there? What's so bad about a Companion + Longbow build? Seems pretty effective to me.

Longbow is a bad weapona and tthere are very few feats to buff archery. Favoured aim has anti-synergy and even Crossbow seems to have more support, not to mention TWF. If I want to use companion, I have to spend less actions full attacking and getting the buff from Hunt Target.

Scarab Sages

It makes it so you can’t critical fail k owledge religion, iirc.

Scarab Sages

8 people marked this as a favorite.

I hate volley too much to have to spend an action to remove the penalty. Volley makes literally no sense and should be purged from the game with extreme prejudice. But I’ll take what I can get.

Scarab Sages

JDLPF wrote:

I'm still disappointed they not only moved Teleport from 5th to 6th level, but also made it Uncommon.

Because, y'know, not many people would want to know how to travel a hundred miles in an instant.

It’s not because people don’t want or know how to do that. It’s backed it can be very disruptive the GM’s campaign. Lord of the Rings wouldn’t be as fun if they had teleport.

Scarab Sages

Voss wrote:

The nature thing doesn't really interest me one way or another. I'd honestly like a little less monster hunter too.

But what I'd really like is for the class feats not to center around justifying Harsk's bad choices in PF1.

Its too much crossbows and dual hatchets and both the fighter and the rogue are snickering up their sleeves, thinking how adorable it is for him to try.

This sums up a lot of my thoughts. Thanks for putting them more succinctly than I can.

Scarab Sages

I want to be able to make an archer ranger and there isn’t really a way to do it, even ignoring the fact that longbows were nerfed to hell for no reason.

Scarab Sages

Can you give any examples?

Scarab Sages

14 people marked this as a favorite.

Volley is one of my top 5 gripes with the new rules and should be eliminated as soon as possible. It makes no sense, nerfs longbows for no reason, and makes rangers unable to fully utilize their most iconic weapon.

Scarab Sages

I don’t care too much about he specifics at the moment, but you should be able to sneak up on people without constantly having to his behind something.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I greatly dislike how they’ve taken away some of the most unique parts of pathfinder that can’t be replicated in other systems. The cool rope trick escape, simulacrums, clones, planar binding pacts with devils are all some of the most unique aspects of PF1E and they’ve removed them. Why it bring other classes up instead of tear the most fun part of casters(at least for me), the mad scientists can do lots of cool magical things.

Scarab Sages

Great post, I appreciate the effort in making the playtest a more understanding experience.

Scarab Sages

How would you get above an 18 in an ability score. It’s a playtest trying to extort lain the rules simply. It’s literally impossible to do it without optional rolling.Why does it matter if it’s trying to make sure everyone is on the same page. And it would make rolling too good if it good bypass the normal math and make super characters. Which is a worse paly experience for many as they feel compelled to take a gamble to keep up worth the arms race.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because the default system is designed to take you from all 10s to much higher stats. If you started with nearly equivalent stats, it would almost always be better to roll. The 18restriction is for the same reason. Any somewhat sad character should roll since statistically, you will usually get one score higher than 14 and be able to get a higher stat than intended. This edition has tighter math and this is a playtest. It’s hard to get feedback if everyone is rolling random stats because it’s nearly always a significant improvement.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I agree somewhat, but I’m not sold on hunt target. I think I’d be more okay if it also allowed you to hunt target from the tracks or evidence of the target instead of having to see them and be in range. I still don’t really like how it’s not that close to actual biting and how it locks the ranger into full attacks that make any two action feat, like favoured aim, much worse. I do think your change might make the ranger better, but I would also like the some terrain abilities to stay so you don’t have to pick between thematic abilities and combat bonuses. Honestly, I’m pretty frustrated by the implementation of the ranger and haven’t really gathered my thoughts, so I want to wait and play the class before making any definitive conclusions.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Quick Study was imo, the best exploit for arcanist as it made you always have the right spell for anything prepared. It was better in combat than quick prep, but cost points and quick preparation means you can prepare only combat spells and then grab the perfect utility spells including heightening whenever you aren’t rushed. It like it as an ability, but Inthink other classes should be given something to compensate for such high power.

Scarab Sages

It cost arcane pool points and arcanists had less spells than other casters.

Scarab Sages

I wouldn’t make anew skill. If you were going to go with the instinct mechanic (I’m not sold on it), make it a lore skill that can use wisdom instead of int.

Scarab Sages

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I agree that Ranger seems to be missing any bow support and their abilities don’t seems that synergistic. There is a lot of emphasis on buffing your allies and your animal companion, but the strongest part of ranger in 1E was combat styles and archery’s few feats look bad. Like favoured aim is a worse version of a similar fighter feat, made even worse because it take two actions. Hunt target wants you to make as many attack as possible, but you make 1 less and lose your biggest bonus if you use favoured aim, which already requires you to spend an action to hunt target.

Scarab Sages

9 people marked this as a favorite.

This is the first decision that really upset me. It’s taking the worst part of 5th edition and basically asking the GM to pick the DC to everything. Like what level is a rope, why is everything arbitrary. If five GMs can all have wildly different opinions on the DC of the same task, then the system is not working. If I wanted to make up all the DCs, I would use a different system. One of Pathfinder’s strengths is fairly well-defined rules. And trivial failing half the time is ridiculous. It’s trivial, you shouldn’t fail the most basic possible task 50%. And what even is a level 3 challenge. Is making a dish level 0 or 1, what level is climbing a rope, etc. I was really in support of 2e and I’m disappointed that this section is such a let down.

Scarab Sages

What makes a rapier have more damaging crits or better at disarming than any other sword? The disarm property is extra annoying because it implies you can't disarm with a weapon (the safest and most common way to disarm an armed combatant, esp. with swords) unless it has the property and rapier has it for no good reason.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Charon Onozuka wrote:

As expected, Bards have become occult full casters. Looks like PF2 is going for a single rate of spell progression for all classes, which should be much easier to learn/use.

VERY happy to see Bards have gone the Barbarian route and ditched their limited amount of performance rounds. Always was unthematic to say that a low level bard couldn't even last a minute when trying to perform. Also like that you normally spend an action each round actually playing the music, though lingering composition will likely be common and make that a bit more difficult to track.

And Lingering Composition is... I don't even know how to interpret or run it. Having a weird and finicky DC as part of a commonly used ability is not fun. My one big disappointment in this blog.

Very happy to see performance checks actually get used as part of the class. Always felt like there wasn't enough connection between the performance skill in PF1 and the actual performance of the Bard's abilities.

Muses look very interesting and I can't wait to try them out during the playtest.

Interesting to note that spellcasting proficiency specifies proficiency in occult spells. Here's holding out hope for at least some nuance to spellcasting proficiency rather than just, "you're good at every spell now." Though I still feel like spellcasting proficiency increases should start earlier than level 12, which is beyond most games.

Bardic Masterpieces becoming standard bard feats sounds amazing, as I always wanted to love them in PF1, but too many things always seemed to try to get in the way.

You level faster in 2e and the goal is to make it so higher levels are more played. So the bonus at 12 is less extreme than it seems. Also, DMW (I think it was him) did an analysis on save progression and it matched up with the caster bonuses.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aiken Frost wrote:
Quote:
You also have the most trained skills at 1st level except for rogues, just barely edging out rangers. Finally, you begin play at 1st level with two compositions, the inspire courage cantrip (which has been detailed above) and the counter performance power.

Can we *please* don't let spellcasters have more skills than the Fighter? Please?

Also:

Quote:
You perform rapidly, speeding your ally. The ally is quick and can use the action to Strike, Stride, or Step.

The Allegro wording is terrible. It would be better like this:

Quote:
You perform rapidly, speeding your ally. The ally gets one action he can use only to Strike, Stride, or Step.

Quick is a condition that gives you an extra action that can only be spent on certain things.

edit: ninja’d

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Isn’t rapier finesse, but not agile?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
WatersLethe wrote:
Items that have an RP requirement for their activated abilities will instead be usable 1/day.

Isn’t this an enormous nerf that destroys all the items that do so. Like the cloak of elvenkind is balanced around having many uses of invisibility per day. Making it once per day would completely invalidate the item for its cost and make it much much worse as nothing fills that niche.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would greatly appreciate having more accurate names for PF2E. The current names and inaccurate armour really hurt my immersion and verisimilitude. I would probably buy a hard cover if more realistic names for arms and armour were used.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

@Fuzzypaws
Your point about the world having a level makes sense, but when dealing with enemies, the DC being based on level makes sense to me. The more dangerous a monster is, the more lethal it is and more trained it is in killing its foes.

Scarab Sages

Don’t starfinder gnomes have an int boost? I’ve always liked into for gnomes and it would make everything fit together nicely. It’s not even that much of a stretch given gnomes’ affinity for crafting (and the new lore skill for narrow focus being int) and cleverness.

Scarab Sages

The post office required a label to return the package to sender. What can I do to receive this label?

Scarab Sages

My online subscription to Starfinder wasn't cancelled and I was charged for the pact worlds book. I would like to cancel the order and subscription. The payment didn't go through, so what other steps do I have to take to resolve this?

Scarab Sages

I subscribed to the Starfinder Subscription to get the Alien Archive pdf and book, but I'm not sure if it went through? I got the subscription so I could get the pdf before my game on Saturday, and subscribers have gotten the pdf already, so I'm not sure what I have to do to get the pdf? Sorry, I'm pretty confused so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scarab Sages

What bonus do the mercenaries have to ranged attack?

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.

the unchained monster rules build size into ac.

Scarab Sages

Doesn't that make them just a bad weapon, especially because they can't be upgraded.

Scarab Sages

Which class is proficient in bows and can operatives trick attack with them?

Scarab Sages

When will the final product be out?

Scarab Sages

why would it have that rules text if it was already a thing.

Scarab Sages

I would like to cancel my subscription to PATHFINDER RPG. Additionally, the first time I tried to cancel my subscription, it wasn't cancelled, so I have a copy of the Villain Codex attempting to be shipped. Can that order please be cancelled. Thanks, rpm.

Scarab Sages

why do u need a monk?

Scarab Sages

If you wan't to make lots of attacks grab TWF and Rapid Shot with fast bombs at level 8. Plus each bomb can be a different type like frost (stagger) or tanglefoot (entangle).

Scarab Sages

I'll grab this if there is a red panda pawn.

1 to 50 of 138 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>