Hello all. I'm looking to help a new player create something like Final Fantasy's version of a Red Mage; a sword-and-sorcery jack-of-all-trades. The challenge is to do it using only a single class, using Paizo-published Materials, without reskinning/reflavoring abilties.
Before I start, let me just get some stuff out of the way, because I know these forums!
- Yes, we know there's a Final Fantasy D20 system with a Red Mage Class. It's pretty good!
- Yes, we know that this could be better achieved with multi-classing.
- Yes, we know there's myriad third-party options that can emulate such a thing.
- Yes, we know you can just ask the GM for something to help fit the concept.
With that said, this is more of a thought-exercise and brainstorm, than a restriction on what can be played. The GM is awesome, and is fine with pretty much anything brought to the table, even if its tweaked or reflavored. We had certain qualifications as to what we consider a good replication of the Red Mage:
1) Decent Melee Weapon-based Proficiencies/Abilities/Features
2) Ability to cast Elemental Damage Spells, preferably earlier on in levels
3) Ability to cast Healing Spells
So far we have a few front-runners:
- Battle Shaman: The Shaman spell list gives access to requirements 2 and 3, but has very little to help with 1. We'd need to spend a good number of feats to get their melee skills to a good level, and that would probably just be leaning on the staple feats.
- Puppetmaster Magus: Puppetmaster Magus gets access to the Bard spell list, which puts most of the Cure X Wounds and some of the Remove X spells on their spell list. As a magus, elemental damage is a part of the kit, but the tradeouts to Spell Combat, Spellstrike, and Arcane Pool lower its normal weapon abilities.
- Arcane Duelist Bard: The Arcane Duelist gets all sorts of cool weapon abilities and feats to not only buff himself, but also his allies. The Bard spell list doesn't have many elemental damage spells, especially early on.
Sorry, didn't see the single class option.....here is this....
An Arcane Duelist with two Rings of spell Knowledge (fireball/lightning bolt etc) and can become a Eldritch Knight at level 7 without multi-classing.
To qualify to become an Eldritch Knight, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Weapon Proficiency: Must be proficient with all martial weapons.
Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.