If you can wait til next month, then the D&D starter set might be a good bet.
Alternatively, there are various old versions or copies of dungeons and dragons that are a lot simpler than pathfinder. You can roll up a character in a few minutes and start playing. I like the swords and wizardry rules which you can get as a free PDF. Alternatively you could buy PDFs of the D&D basic set and keep on the borderlands on dndclassics.
The level limits on Demi-humans were a hold over from the earlier editions where they were more powerful than humans. You could argue that this difference had been lessened by 2e. However, as noted in the swords and wizardry rule book, the level limits are part of a package that genuinely distinguish between human and Demi-human characters.
One of the problems with 2e was that it was essentially just an official home brew version of 1e so there wasn't a great reason to "upgrade " for some. And then people who were willing to upgrade probably upgraded to 3e so 2e probably doesn't have the same numbers of enthusiasts that the older versions of D&D have.
1) You might want to check out dragonsfoot... They seem to have pbp for 1st edition.2) There seem to be well over a hundred OSR modules of various flavours available, any of which would require minimal conversion to 1st or 2nd edition.
3) can't help with this sorry... Don't know enough about them
4) if you want a (free) legal PDF of what are effectively 1e rules check out OSRIC
Electric Monk wrote:
The basic D&D world (Mystara) had a Byzantium inspired empire (Thyatis)
I seem to vaguely recall some kind of game or story setting that was sort of Wild West Steampunk, would love to see more of that. Or something akin to steampunk, but actually based around 18th century clockworks (which could get amazingly advanced even IRL) and set in an 18th century-esque world.
Clockwork and Chivalry has clockworks in the English Civil War
The problem with comments like this is, to people who find this image sexist, you are basically saying "this sexism is ok because it is less sexist than other things"
You have to remember that in 1st edition each round lasted 1 minute and was meant to include lots of ripostes, parries etc. and 1 (or however many multiple attacks) actual chance of hitting so going before Fatty because you're quicker doesn't really make a lot of sense..
yeah - better AC is a lower number - bizarre. same as hitpoints are bizarre. same as alignment is bizarre.
See Swords and Wizardry for a "clone" of the original D&D and Labyrinth Lord for a "clone" of Basic D&D. I believe they both have free PDFs of the rules. Some of the rules are a bit bizarre (Armor class and races as classes)and the classes weren't balanced. However, they were less rules heavy than 3rd edition.
I, personally, would love to see something simpler than 3rd edition - something more like the old basic D&D - but I just don't think that the hobby can support 3 different editions (PF/3rd, 4th and 4th) of one game
Dire Mongoose wrote:
You say that but I can't really remember being that surprised by it at all. I think I had always
assumed that the books would turn out to be about his children (probably due to the dire wolves/chapter headings) so I was actually much more surprised by the Red Wedding.
"You know how I define the economic and social classes in this country? The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there... just to scare the s+$! out of the middle class. Keep 'em showing up at those jobs." -- George Carlin
TBH You could fill an entire thread just of Carlin quotes, e.g.
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. "
I'll have a Blue Smurf-mas without you
I'll have a Blue Smurf-mas that's certain
Fabius Maximus wrote:
I'd agree that you would be better off with a term which had less of a specific real-world meaning
As you know Sturgeon's law states that 90% of everything is crap? Well, in my opinion, the problem with Fantasy fiction is that 90% of the other 10% is also crap as well..
My sister-in-law aquired a large number of fantasy books for me to read when I was sick last year and they were all dreadful (except for one by Guy Gavriel Kay)
Judy Bauer wrote:
I never read the original series but i did read the a recent sequel to it where nothing noteworthy actually happened in the entire book.