GM Euan's Jade Regent

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet


1,401 to 1,450 of 1,586 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>

F

Kisaiya bows one last time to the departed Kaijitsu patriarch. It feels strange to have spoken to him without Ameiko here. She hopes deeply that Ameiko will not hold it against her.

”I just told him who we are, what we are here for, and who sent us. Using proper honorifics and language of deference. Minkaian is a language that requires knowing the relationship and statuses of both you and who you are speaking to as precisely as possible.”

As they look upon the riches, Kisaiya’s eye glazes over them. Her attention is on the chests. Kisaiya pulls out her crowbar and hands it to Kelda. ”Take this. I’ll help.”


Male halfling wolf-rider

Realizing that 'breaking' open the chests might be the only way to get into them, Rory nods as Kisaiya hands the crowbar to the other woman. Moving over to Storm he gets ready to mount in case something goes catastrophically wrong.


M Dwarf

Durgan looks on in some dismay as the crowbar is brought out.
Feels just a bit... inelegant. Perhaps I can learn a better way.

He voices no objections, however.


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

Mukluk keeps an eye on the stairs while the others work. He wouldn’t want to be surprised while they were opening up the loot box.


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet
Durgan Far-Walker wrote:
Feels just a bit... inelegant. Perhaps I can learn a better way.

The party does know that Ameiko possesses some skill at opening doors. She lost the master key to the rooms above the Dragon, which she lets out from time to time, long ago. She's known to just pick the locks to gain entry as needed.

Naturally, if what corrects her illness is inside the box that's not helpful now. But it is normally an option.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet

Kelda goes at the chest with gusto with the crowbar, and before long the outer husk of the northern chest is burst asunder. The lock is smashed and the chest pried open. She steps back.

Nestled deep in red silk is a beautiful red box (image) with a dragon motif. Strangely, detection magics slide right off the box like water off a stone. It simply doesn’t stick. Even just looking at the box feels somewhat difficult and gives you a slight headache.

However, when you open the box, in the first compartment of three (the other two are empty), you find an amazing stone statuette of a dragon (image). Just resting your eyes on the statuette causes the four of you to black out however…

In your mind’s eye, you see an army of terrible fiends - with burning skin, glaring eyes, and sharp tusks, wearing strange armor and wielding exotic weapons - emerge from a storm in a vast forest, then descend upon a nation populated by Tian peoples. You know instinctively somehow that it is the land of Minkai and the creatures are oni (link). You now know everything in the link.

This vision is swiftly followed by another: a young man dressed in royal robes stands over a simple well, a friend at his side. You don’t know how, but you’re sure the man is none other than the previous Emperor of Minkai, Shigure. Suddenly, the friend grows nearly three times in size and is sheathed in a frightening suit of jade armor. The jade warrior draws a sword and strikes down his royal companion, then holds the bloody sword aloft in triumph.

A third vision follows, this time of an older Tian man (not the jade warrior) handing a beautiful sword to a richly dressed Ulfen man in exchange for a substantial bag of gold and gems. It is none other than Ameiko’s grandfather, Rokuro Kaijitsu, whom you now realize, again mystically, is formerly named Amatatsu Tsutoku. He is selling the family’s legendary sword Suishen to the Ulfen merchant Fynn Snaevald in the city of Kalsgard.

Finally, this vision fades, and you see Ameiko waking from her deep sleep, but she is dressed in the finery of an empress. She rises from troubled sleep not in a humble Varisian caravan, but from a rest within the arms of a magnificent jade throne. Her true name isn’t Ameiko Kaijitsu, but rather Amatatsu - one of the five royal families of Minkai - indeed, the last royal family!

You dimly hear the voice of Kelda in the background, ”… Hey… Hey, you lot OK? What’s going on? You all froze up there for a moment.” Her voice brings you back to the present.

When you look down, the warding box is again closed, and you no longer sense the Amatatsu Seal - one of the five royal seals of Minkai - representing the Amatatsu family’s right to rule the empire of Minkai.

You each gain a level from the experience and are now considered Amatatsu scions.

Amatatsu Seal:
The Amatatsu Seal has a daily allotment of five charges that it can use to cast the following spells on an Amatatsu scion: cure serious wounds, remove curse, remove disease, or restoration (you must provide diamond dust in excess of 100gp). Each casting uses one daily charge.

Alternatively, the seal can cast heal on an Amatatsu scion, but doing so expends all five charges for that day. Finally, and only at the seal’s discretion, it can cast a full resurrection (no diamond needed) on an Amatatsu scion, but doing so renders its spellcasting powers useless for a full month.

The Amatatsu Seal itself radiates strong magic, and those with the proper resources can sense this magic across oceans and continents, allowing it to be tracked across any distance.

One final ward exists on the Amatatsu Seal, confounding attempts to whisk it quickly away from its homeland but also making returning a stolen seal home an arduous task. The Amatatsu Seal can never be transported by magic, including dimensional travel. It cannot be taken from the Material Plane save via special portals blessed by the gods, and characters who carry the seal cannot cast or otherwise use teleportation effects.
- - -


F

Kisaiya just stares, mouth agape, as she tries to understand the full gravity of what she has just witnessed. Ameiko is…royalty? Descended from them at least. Given the other parts of the vision, she thinks taking up that claim may be difficult.

But she has known Ameiko a long time, and she is not one to shy away from a challenge. Not one like this. As she imagines what such a journey might be like, she trembles, but not out of fear. She wants this.

She stands and takes a deep breath. ”We should go find Ameiko.”


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

"Yeah," Mukluk breathes out in eerie detachment. "Whatever I just went through it was weird, like when I smoked that weird gnome grass. Or ate them pink mushrooms. But also, that was even weirder."

Mukluk helps to collect all the things of interest, and then to straighten up the area in case Ameiko wants to come back when she feels better.

"We should get back. Moose is probably worried sick about us."

Mukluk will freely describe his vision to anyone that will listen. He's mostly practicing so he can explain it to Moose when he gets back. He is not sure the mule will believe him and he wants to make it as clear as possible when he does try to explain.


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet

There is another chest...


Male halfling wolf-rider

ninja'd by GM Euan, will edit:

The visions ending, Rory hears Kelda's question while he feels Storm licking his face. Not exactly sure what he saw he looks towards the others. Nodding in agreement with Kisaiya, he echo's Mukluk, "Um Yeah." Swinging onto Storms back, he pats the wolf's neck. Turning to Kelda, "Some sort of vision about our friend and her family. Once we open the other chest we'll introduce you to her."

Smiling at Kelda he gestures towards the other chest, "Go ahead."


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet

Perhaps with some trepidation, you open the second chest. Kelda rips apart the lock with the crowbar and throws open the lid. She glances inside, but nothing speaks to her so she steps back. Within is another bed of fine red silk and four readily identified objects.

The first, a hammered gold circlet with an embossed ruby, seems to call out to Durgan in secretive whispers. He’ll find it fits perfectly on his brow.

Polished and carrying a reddish hue, a suit of O-yoroi, shimmering with magic sets its sights on Kisaiya.

Mukluk finds he is drawn to a red silk robe, which fits more perfectly than any clothing he has ever worn. It settles softly on his shoulders like it was made for him.

Rory sees, and Storm sniffs at, a beautiful military saddle, made of some sort of reddish leather beautifully embroidered. It fits storm without the need for adjustment and he settles into it like it wasn’t there.

As you look upon the items, the room seems colder than it should be. Or maybe that's just you.

Please check your PMs.


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

Mukluk holds up the mysterious red robe, flipping to the back and then back to the front.

”I dunno….,” he considers, looking over to see what the others got. ”Do you think this would look better on me or Moose, Rory?”


Male halfling wolf-rider

Seeing the 'eastern' style saddle, Rory tries to figure out how to transport it back to the wagons. Eventually tucking the stirrups and harness under the saddle it ties it to the top of his saddle bags.

Resisting the urge to as Mukluk if the saddle would look better in him or Storm, Rory smiles, "It fits your dwarfish legs perfectly. I fear on Moose it would be a little short."

He gestures back the way they came. "We should probably head back, see if Ameiko is doing ok."


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

”Ah, you think so? I usually don’t wear red. On account of the reasons, you see?” Mukluk looks at Rory, then at the robe, then back at Rory. ”You gunna wear that saddle? Is it for you to carry Stormsy or vice versa?”

Mukluk does, after a time, slip on the new robe and work around his clothing to make it fit and neat like, but also then ties the lower halves of the robe around his waist so his legs are free and clear for his waddling. ”I think that will do it.”


M Dwarf

"If the vision is to be believed, then it seems it is to be our mission to restore the rightful sovereign of Minkai to her throne.
As well, I feel we must uncover the story of why her grandfather sold the sword. Was he cursed to remain as a wraith for having discarded it? Did he discard it to protect his family, as it seems that the Emperor - or someone posing as him - struck down a close friend?
There is much to this mystery."

Durgan takes the circlet and places it on his head. "The Amatatsu family has a gift for me, it seems. At least, that is my feeling. I hope I am not being overly presumptuous.
I shall endeavor to be worthy of their trust."


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet

You make your way out of the bowels of the castle and back into the light! The rain has stopped, at least for now, though the sky remains threatening.

Do stop to see Spivey before departing and making the forest track back to the caravan?


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

”We should go visit and also thank Spivey. Maybe she would want the starknife we found? It would be fitting,” Mukluk offers, seeing as they are offering magics to everyone else who helps them as he glares at Kelda and her new magic shield. ”We’ll tell them what happened and how we fixt the undead and black bird problems.”


M Dwarf

"Yes. She's very kind. Desnan. Good. We can let her know what we found. See if she needs any help. Thank her with all the proper courtesies. And move on."

Durgan was uncomfortable when he thought Spivey was a Fey, and having learned she is an Azata doesn't make her all that much less unnerving. Still pretty much Chaos incarnate and he gets the hives just thinking about such creatures...


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet

Spivey is very glad to see you! She flies up in the air a bit shouting hello as you return to her graveyard. ”How did it go! I was worried about you! There was a pulse! I thought maybe the place was going to crumble as evil places do when they pulse like that!”

She flitters around the party, and especially Kelda as she’s someone new. You can tell Kelda is a bit unnerved by the fey, but once it’s determined she’s not an enemy (both ways), the two make nice.


Male halfling wolf-rider

earlier
Chuckling at Mukluk's question, Rory jests back, "I'm not sure yet, but we'll sort it out." Nodding in agreement with Durgan's observation, Rory is slow to speak of it outloud, espescially knowing that the 'seal' can be tracked by other than natural means.

As they head back the way they came, Rory chuckles as Durgan and Mukluk discuss proper teminology, Rory chimes in, "What if, instead of just givving her the starknife, what if we invited her along?"

Now
Watching as Kelda and Spivey sniff at each other like two wolves from separate packs, Rory answers her question, "It went great! I think we found what we needed for our sick friend to get well. Would you like to meet her? Her name is Ameiko, you could come with us to where were camped." He smiles, "Heck you could even come with us if you wanted to."


M Dwarf
Rory Cornelius wrote:
"What if, instead of just givving her the starknife, what if we invited her along?"

"I would rather not."


F

Kisaiya holds the set of Ō-yoroi armor tenderly, passing her hand over it. Where did it come from? Who did it belong to? If, as the situation suggests, it is for her, should she give up her grandmother’s armor? These are questions that will take time to answer, but for now, she accepts it into her care.

Regarding Spivey, Kisaiya can recognize the chaos and frustration a fey might bring, and she notes Durgan’s voiced displeasure at the idea. But while Kisaiya may be half-Minkaian, she is also half-Varisian, and a Varisian knows that one must never turn from Desna and Her servants lightly. ”We already travel under the blessing of Desna and one of her fortune-tellers. If you wish to join us, I would not complain, Spivey. I also would understand if you wish to stay here and enjoy it now that the evil presence has been removed, perhaps even restore it to Desna’s glory. Your will is—as ever—yours, and I know you will choose as is best.”


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

Mukluk mulls things over. Mostly, he'd been fine with Spivey joining if Spivey wants that. But he isn't sure how Moose will feel about it, but he feels that he can explain things to the mule enough that it should work out.

"Yeah, you should come. Just give me time to explain things to Moose."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet
Rory Cornelius wrote:
Watching as Kelda and Spivey sniff at each other like two wolves from separate packs, Rory answers her question, "It went great! I think we found what we needed for our sick friend to get well. Would you like to meet her? Her name is Ameiko, you could come with us to where were camped." He smiles, "Heck you could even come with us if you wanted to."

”Huh!” Spivey looks around at the graveyard, ”I have done about as much as I can here I suppose…” She thinks for a split-second, ”Where are you going?!”

Kisaiya Shiraishi wrote:
”We already travel under the blessing of Desna and one of her fortune-tellers. If you wish to join us, I would not complain, Spivey. I also would understand if you wish to stay here and enjoy it now that the evil presence has been removed, perhaps even restore it to Desna’s glory. Your will is—as ever—yours, and I know you will choose as is best.”

”Hrm….” Spivey seems to ponder her decision. She glances at Durgan, and sees his stoic countenance. She considers…

Mukluk Muletender wrote:
"Yeah, you should come. Just give me time to explain things to Moose."

”OK! I’ll come!” She dances in the air doing summersaults and juggling her star knives. ”Who’s Moose?” she asks when she calms down a bit.

Keep in mind, with Kelda, you are now full up in terms of people. However, Spivey doesn’t count toward the total or consumption. Still, something to know for future planning.

Spivey collects a small pack of odds and ends from her time in the cemetery and flies along with you, fluttering about. As you make your way through the forest trail, Spivey describes the trees, their habitat, names, leaf stylings, etc. For those of you with knowledge, you know she invariably gets them wrong, but she’s trying to be useful.

You reach the caravan at last, near supper. The skies have cleared, and the first stars are beginning to come out. There’s already a party in full swing - as your visions predicted, Ameiko is well and whole! She’s confused by the illness, but glad, if a little shaky yet, to be on the mend. She apparently had no visions for upon seeing you, and with two new allies, she asks, a little flushed from dancing, ”How did the search go?”


Male halfling wolf-rider

"Huzzah!" Giving a cheer when Spivey announces she would join them, Rory turns Storm back the way they came. Excited to be travelling with someone actually smaller than he was, Rory Keeps storm near the near the lyrakien, listening as she makes up stuff about the leafs and the trees.

Seeing the party and their friend whole again, Rory blurts out as Storm draws nears enough to politely sniff, "We made two friends, this is Kelda and this is Spivey!" Gesturing from the very tall barbarian to the very small not-a-fey.


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet
Rory Cornelius wrote:
Seeing the party and their friend whole again, Rory blurts out as Storm draws nears enough to politely sniff, "We made two friends, this is Kelda and this is Spivey!" Gesturing from the very tall barbarian to the very small not-a-fey.

Ameiko is pleased to meet them both and the other caravan folk make them feel welcome - inviting them to the party around the bonfire. Food and drink are handed out, and cries for stories ring in the early night air. Everyone wants to know what happened in the two days you were gone!


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9
GM Euan - Jade wrote:
”Who’s Moose?”

"Oh, Moose? Moose is the leader of our caravan on the mule side. You'll want to talk to Ameiko for the people stuff, but if you want input from the mules? That's when you go to Moose. No guarantees that he'll help ya, but I'll put in a good word for you, don't you worry," Mukluk explains very clearly.

* * *

Mukluk will help fill in what happened at the keep, but mostly let others tell the tale of their own deeds. He isn't a big talker in large groups, or pretty much any group bigger than one mule, but he'll want to make sure the story is told right.

"...and that's when I knew we should return and explain things to Moose," Mukluk completes.

"And also to you, too, Ameiko," he adds after a few seconds of thought.


M Dwarf

Durgan keeps to himself and does not join in the celebrations. He will have a quick word with Ameiko before heading to bed.

"Ameiko, we found much of interest regarding your family's history and what we might do next. I will let Kisaiya tell the tale. Once you have heard, perhaps in the morning I can answer any questions you may have.

For now, I will turn in and wake to take the last watch."


F

Kisaiya takes a deep breath. Once she says this, it will forever change the dynamic between her and Ameiko. It will almost certainly change the course of both their lives.

”We found that your family is more important that we ever could have imagined. Your family name was originally Amatatsu, and they escaped here because they were pursued by assassins, assassins who followed all the way from Minkai. They pursued because…because….” She takes up the Amatatsu Seal and kneels, presenting it to Ameiko. ”Because your family are the rightful rulers of Minkai. Driven away by a usurper. And as you are the remaining member of your family, that makes you…the true heir.” Kisaiya bows her head, partly out of respect and partly to hide the tears forming. She knows she should feel happy, she wishes she was happy, but she worries she is losing something, that there will now always be a distance between her and Ameiko she will never be able to cross.


Male halfling wolf-rider

Happy to be back at camp, Rory takes a moment to care for his wolf, Removing the home made barding and the armor, he lets Storm loose to roam as he moves to the party and the dancing. Enjoying the festivities he watches as his friends explain to Ameiko what the found. He smiles as Durgan recomends Kisaiya explain the 'lions share' she was Ameiko's long time friend and was the most invested in this journey.

As the party wears down, Rory approaches Spivey, pointing towards Koya's varisian wagon. "Storm and I sleep under Koya's fancy wagon. We like sleeping in the open when we can, and it stays dry if it rains, you're more than welcome to join us if you like."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet
Mukluk Muletender wrote:

"...and that's when I knew we should return and explain things to Moose," Mukluk completes.

"And also to you, too, Ameiko," he adds after a few seconds of thought.

Ameiko smiles with the weakened energy of the recently ill, but there’s sincerity there too.

Durgan Far-Walker wrote:
"Ameiko, we found much of interest regarding your family's history and what we might do next. I will let Kisaiya tell the tale. Once you have heard, perhaps in the morning I can answer any questions you may have."

”I’m sure I’ll have questions for you, and I appreciate your perspective.” She says seriously.

Kisaiya Shiraishi wrote:
”We found that your family is more important that we ever could have imagined. Your family name was originally Amatatsu, and they escaped here because they were pursued by assassins, assassins who followed all the way from Minkai. They pursued because…because….” She takes up the Amatatsu Seal and kneels, presenting it to Ameiko. ”Because your family are the rightful rulers of Minkai. Driven away by a usurper. And as you are the remaining member of your family, that makes you…the true heir.” Kisaiya bows her head, partly out of respect and partly to hide the tears forming. She knows she should feel happy, she wishes she was happy, but she worries she is losing something, that there will now always be a distance between her and Ameiko she will never be able to cross.

When Kisaiya takes the Amatatsu Seal out of the warding box, it again pulses with energy. You see Ameiko go a bit blank - much as you must have when you were first exposed. Eventually, she comes around as Kelda mumbles in the background, ”It keeps happening…”

Ameiko looks at Kisaiya, ”Oh, no. No kneeling before me. I… I… wow. I guess dad took some things to his grave that maybe he should have shared.”

The party in the background quiets as all eyes are on Ameiko and the party. Eventually, Sandru drinks his ale, and asks ”So you’re royalty? Your family always was posh, but I had no idea.” Koya, perhaps wiser than most, approaches Ameiko and hugs her, ”There, there, dear. There are skeletons in every family closet. Yours are simply clothed in gold. It’ll be fine. You’re still you.”

Eventually Ameiko comes around, and looks around at all the folks staring at her. ”I’m not sure what to do! If all this is true, I’m going to need strong support. I… I’m not even sure what to do about this.” She takes the Seal and puts it back into the warding box and closes it - but she puts it in with her things. ”Thank you for finding this. Thank you indeed!”

The party slowly starts up again, though perhaps a bit tamer than before. Ameiko tries to return to some sort of normalcy so as not to ruin the mood of the celebration, but it’s clear in those odd moments when no one seems to be looking that she’s thinking hard about her future - and what she knows of her past!

Later she pours over the loot you acquired while she was ill, and plucks the ring of protection +1, if there are no complaints, and slips it on her finger. ”I’m sorry I was too ill to join you. It sounds like you lot had a good time without me!” She chuckles, ”I’ll try to be more available for the next run.”

Rory Cornelius wrote:
As the party wears down, Rory approaches Spivey, pointing towards Koya's varisian wagon. "Storm and I sleep under Koya's fancy wagon. We like sleeping in the open when we can, and it stays dry if it rains, you're more than welcome to join us if you like."

”Ohhh, yes, outdoors is best!” she exclaims, happy to sleep nestled into Storms fur for warmth.

The party lasts well into the night and you're all quite tired by the time watches are set and folks stumble off to bed.

The night passes uneventfully and I'll get a next day post up in a bit. Feel free to plan your morning.


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

Mukluk spends some of the night, and most of the morning making sure Moose isn’t too sore for Mukluk long absence and also going over what happened while he was away. Moose tends to be a pretty good listener, only flicking his ears occasionally to show interest or displeasure, but mostly being attentive.

When he can find the time, he will check in on Ameiko, then Spivey, and then Kelda the ShieldThief in order. He hopes that they are all settling in well. He will invite Spivey to visit Moose if the not-fey wishes, but also won’t push the issue.

He still, and continues to, wears his new red robe about his shoulders with the ends bound around his waist. He’s not really into fashion, and it shows.


Male halfling wolf-rider

Watching, Rory understood why Kisaiya had bowed to her friend the princess and Rory understood why Ameiko and told her to stand up. He did wonder two things, if Ameiko was going to start using her real name, Amatatsu, and if they would try and find the sword the family’s legendary sword Suishen.

Chuckling at Spivey's responce, Rory wasn't sure if the fey like creature even slept or not. but he was glad to see Storm comfortable enough to let her sleep on him.

Waking the next morning Rory took his time getting he and Storm around. Deciding to tie the fancy saddle to Koya's wagon, he would sell it at the next town big enough to have a merchant who could afford it. While they were eating, he approached Ameiko and asked, "In the vision we saw an older fellow sell the family’s legendary sword Suishen to a merchant named Fynn Snaevald in the city of Kalsgard. Should we go there and try to reacquire it?"


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9
Rory Cornelius wrote:
"Should we go there and try to reacquire it?"

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Know (Geography) - Kalsgard?

Mukluk looks at Moose; Moose flicks an ear back.

”Yeah, where are we going next?”


2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf

"Although my main responsibilities as a priest of Abadar are the protection of caravans and passing judgment on bandits -" that is, Durgan has the Protection and Trade domains, which I see going together in being a caravan guard "- Abadar is the patron of laws and legitimate rulership." Abadar also offers the Law and Nobility domains, and in particular the Legislation and Leadership subdomains.

"Therefore, I see that I am called to restore Ameiko, the rightful ruler, to the throne of Minkai. Ameiko, I would urge to fulfill your duty and assume your rightful place. It will be dangerous. I cannot force you to do anything, and there are those who would tell you to do whatever you wish and enjoy life. I am sure you know that the role of a ruler would not be an easy life, even should we succeed in restoring you to the throne; you will not spend your days idly basking in wealth and glory. You will face would-be assassins, schemers, traitors, angry subjects, and potentially hostile neighbors. But I would say that the people of Minkai need their legitimate sovereign."

"That is my opinion on the matter."

Knowledge (Geography): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 Durgan knows nothing about Kalsgard.

[ooc]So this is Durgan trying to see if the Lawful perspective s


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet

In the morning over breakfast (Gozran 18, a Toilday), Ameiko is a little bleary-eyed, as if she has had little sleep. She’s energetic however, and insists on being shown around Brinewall Castle so she can see where her grandfather fell and her family’s history was hidden.

”…before I decide whether to undertake this task.” she adds, nodding to Durgan and Rory.

You, presumably, take her back down the path. Kelda stays with the caravan, getting to know the folks there and providing protection for now. Spivey too remains behind, noshing on a late breakfast.

The castle hasn’t changed since you left the afternoon before. You take Ameiko through the fortress and town, telling the story of what you found as you passed through the last few days. She asks questions as you go - especially of Durgan. Her grandfather’s wraith does not re-appear, apparently silenced for all time - left to rest in peace. She’s pleased of course, but a little saddened she couldn’t see him one more time, even in his current condition.

After a few hours you return to the caravan. The Varisians look to you all as you return, and especially to Ameiko. She straightens a bit, standing just a bit taller, and proclaims, ”I don’t know yet what any of this means, or even if it’s true - though I’m inclined to think it may be. I’m at least going north to find my family’s blade in Kalsgard - if it’s still there.” she turns to the party first, ”I’ll need stalwart companions, and propose we continue our arrangement.” She turns to the rest, ”And I suggest the entire caravan go. We all signed up for a journey. While this may be a longer one than initially expected, I suspect you’re all game. But it would be good to hear.”

Each of the troop joins in their own eagerness at the task ahead in their own way, though Ameiko seems to be listening for your responses most…

Please also pick caravan tasks for Kelda (driver, guard, or scout) and Spivey (fortune-teller or spellcaster (entertainer, guard, guide, healer, or scout)).


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

Given a bit more time, Mukluk will approach Koya.

"Miss Koya? Miss, I, uh, I was wondrin', I mean, Moose was...and I am, wondering if you might be willin' to help us with a little project that me and Moose have been contemplating? We need a few spells and, well, your guiding hand as I've not done nothing like this before, and maybe Moose has, but maybe not, he's not saying. So, I'm going to get things set up and was hoping you could check in daily and maybe cast a spell or two to help things out? That would be kindly appreciated, you know?"

Mukluk hopes for a positive response and not getting murdert.

If Koya is willing, Mukluk will begin craftifying something to make him as clever and willful as Moose.


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9
Ameiko wrote:
”I’ll need stalwart companions, and propose we continue our arrangement.”

Mukluk nods at the announcement(? askance? thought?). He had already thought he agreed to see this through, and even without checking with Moose he was inclined to agree.

"And you'll have my mule!" Mukluk offers in agreement as he signs on for more caravanning.

Kelda for guard? Spivey for scout?


Male halfling wolf-rider

As they return to show Ameiko the castle, Rory gives Storm his head, letting the wolf run up and back smelling different things and marking where he may. Every now and then Rory would chime in and help tell part of the story, or would point out something or other. All in all it was a very differnt experience from their first trip through the castle.

Once they return to camp and Ameiko gives her proclimation Rory realizes she had been concsidering, not only his questions, but Durgan's observations as well. As she spoke he realizes he really did want to continue with Ameiko and her friends. Besides He'd never been to Kalsgard. Smiling Rory chimes in, "I think it's a great idea! I'd be happy to keep scouting for the caravan." He gestures towards the fey like creature, "Can Spivey help me Scout?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf

"Yes Ameiko, I would be willing to continue our arrangement."

Durgan has been a Healer while the caravan is moving, and a Trader when it is in a town. He is happy to continue in those roles.

He goes off to find the Ulfen woman.

"Kelda, are you willing to serve as a caravan guard?"

Durgan offers no opinion on what might be a suitable role for a tiny avatar of Chaos.


F

Kisaiya smiles at Ameiko, the sadness she felt before having given-way for the moment to pride and anticipation. She had spent so long thinking that she was destined for a life of wages and unchanging work to no purpose but survival. This is to be her quest, a single impossible star in a sea of night.

Filled with the meaning of the moment, Kisaiya kneels before Ameiko and speaks the words of her heart. ”I would follow you anywhere. Please, allow me to serve you as grandmother served your grandfather. Call when you have need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword and my service are yours. From this day until the ending of the world, this my oath shall be remembered.” She then rests awaiting Ameiko’s response. She has read of many such oaths over the years, and she yearned deep in her heart to swear one to such a worthy liege for so many years. To just give her body and her life so fully and completely.


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet
Mukluk Muletender wrote:
"Miss Koya? Miss, I, uh, I was wondrin', I mean, Moose was...and I am, wondering if you might be willin' to help us with a little project that me and Moose have been contemplating? We need a few spells and, well, your guiding hand as I've not done nothing like this before, and maybe Moose has, but maybe not, he's not saying. So, I'm going to get things set up and was hoping you could check in daily and maybe cast a spell or two to help things out? That would be kindly appreciated, you know?"

”Of course dear, anything for the caravan.” she smiles brightly, ready to lend a hand where it is most needed.

Rory Cornelius wrote:
"Can Spivey help me Scout?"

”Of course I can!” Spivey does loops in the air over the fire, playing in and out of the fiery sparks climbing into the sky. She won’t be so good a regular processes like Shalelu was, but perhaps she’ll surprise those looking for a patterned approach. She is eager to get started, and immediately does a loop around the camp, shouting back that all is well at regular intervals as she circles.

She actually makes a very good scout. Senses: darkvision 60 ft., detect evil, detect magic, low-light vision; Perception +14. And of course an 80’ fly movement doesn’t hurt either.

Durgan Far-Walker wrote:
"Yes Ameiko, I would be willing to continue our arrangement.”

”Excellent master Durgan. Excellent.” Ameiko smiles.

Durgan Far-Walker wrote:
"Kelda, are you willing to serve as a caravan guard?"

”I’d be honored to help guard the caravan.” Kelda exclaims, standing to accentuate the point. She almost, but doesn’t quite, clang her new shield.

Kisaiya Shiraishi wrote:
Filled with the meaning of the moment, Kisaiya kneels before Ameiko and speaks the words of her heart. ”I would follow you anywhere. Please, allow me to serve you as grandmother served your grandfather. Call when you have need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword and my service are yours. From this day until the ending of the world, this my oath shall be remembered.” She then rests awaiting Ameiko’s response. She has read of many such oaths over the years, and she yearned deep in her heart to swear one to such a worthy liege for so many years. To just give her body and her life so fully and completely.

Ameiko looks down at her seriously, and bows back to her, ”I thank you for the honor of your service, and accept it in the spirit in which it was given.”

”Now get up, and stop kneeling so much. It’s giving me the willies coming from you. You are not my subservient. Er, subservient to me. Whatever! We are kin.” She smiles.

”Let’s get this show on the road shall we?!” Ameiko shouts to the caravan and you begin to roll out.


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9
Ameiko wrote:
”Let’s get this show on the road shall we?!” Ameiko shouts to the caravan and you begin to roll out.

Mukluk nods and gets to work doing his driving work, but only after explaining things to Moose to make sure his friend knew what was going on. It was good to have Moose informed, Mukluk was sure.

He will tend to his duties, and also spend time crafting with Koya, as he can make time...and conferring with Moose about both the trip and the crafting, as Moose was sure to have some good opinions on things.

He knows he didn't as fancy a speech as Kisaiya, and he hopes what he did offer was good enough. He wasn't a man dwarf with many good words, but he'd do what he could.


Male halfling wolf-rider

Hearing Kisaiya's oath to Ameiko, Rory nods his head. Somehow it seems fitting that Kisaiya would swear an oath as her grandmother had, seeing how much respect she has for her own ancestor. He smiles petting Storms neck, hopefully she'd be able to end the 'no sword' silliness. A proper 'queen's guard' should have a sword, probably a really big one.

As the camp seemed to be getting to set of, Rory heard that Shalelu was heading back south then possibly toward Taldor to look for the lutist that had quite the rangers. Finding his friend, he bid her safe journeys and encouraged her to follow her heart.

Once the caravan seemed ready, he encouraged Storm to find Spivey. Once the wolf had sniffed her out, he called "Spivey!" Nodding toward the road north, he asks, "Shall we forge ahead and make sure everything is safe?"


Roll20 Map - Tracking Sheet
Rory Cornelius wrote:
Once the wolf had sniffed her out, he called "Spivey!" Nodding toward the road north, he asks, "Shall we forge ahead and make sure everything is safe?"

”Let’s Goooo!” Spivey shouts as she takes to the air.

You pass through three small communities in the first ten days of travel. Other than those villages, you’ll see little other than generally pretty countryside, with the occasional bear, mountain lion and plenty of birds. An elk or two is spotted, and maybe even hunted for food as you journey along.

There are fewer other caravans as you continue north - most remain in Varisia proper. You do encounter a largish dwarven group hauling ore further north. Between the towns, and the dwarves, you are able to sell off your goods and buy supplies.

Party Divvy
You each receive 1,978gp.

The route from Brinewall to Kalsgard passes through the Nolands and enters the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, where it joins an existing trade route between the dwarven mine at Kopparberget and the city of Jol before continuing north into the Grungir Forest.

The caravan road crosses the eastern neck of the Grungir until it reaches the bridge to Losthome, at which point the route follows the western bank of the Thundering River as it meanders north, connecting the many small settlements and steadings that stand upon the river’s banks. At the confluence of the Thundering and Rimeflow rivers, the trade route branches again, with one trail crossing the Skalsbridge and heading northeast toward Trollheim while the other continues along the Rimeflow to Kalsgard.

You’re glad for the winter gear Kisaiya packed before departure as the temperatures begin to drop the further north you go. You leave early spring behind and head into the north!

During the trip, I need a few rolls. Four trade rolls (each 1d20+5 and added together) from each trader for the three villages and one large caravan you pass as you do a little mercantile work. But also two perception checks from everyone.

Sandru & Ameiko trade rolls: 8d20 + 40 ⇒ (1, 13, 19, 15, 16, 14, 7, 7) + 40 = 132
Ameiko Perception: 2d20 ⇒ (12, 16) = 28 (+7)


Male Dwarf
Moose:
Appr+6,Arc +9, Heal +7, Geog +7, Local+9, Nat +9, Perc +13, Driver 11,+5 SenseMot/Surv, Spellcraft +9

If you have crafting requests, get them in now as soon we’ll be at our location and MM needs to have the project so he can work on them during travel time.

Mukluk works on his headband, with Koya, when he can. When not involved in other caravan work, he is walking with Moose and talkin’ up a storm.

1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31 Perception
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25 Perception


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Dwarf

Durgan makes time to speak with his fellow dwarves that are hauling ore to the north. He is gregarious and comfortable in their company, and happily converses in Dwarven. He takes a look at the quality of the ore, though naturally would not offer an opinion on others' business unless asked.

He continues to take notes on the quality of the roads and especially the bridges, marking down which ones should be recommended for improvements or are in need of upkeep. He asks at the smaller settlements who is responsible for maintaining the bridges. Should any be able to direct him to the appropriate engineers or builders, he will bequeath them a donation in the name of Abadar, for necessary maintenance of the bridges. Spending 198 GP in total, his 10% tithe from this distribution, to further the cause of Abadar. He notes, of course, that Abadar will judge all recipients of this largesse on their prudent and responsible use of such funds.
I'd guess that the villages nearest the bridges are responsible for their upkeep and have a vested interest in doing so. Varisia doesn't have a central government.

Although Durgan trusts that the cold-weather gear will suffice for most days, he keeps an Endure Elements prepared just in case any days are unusually cold.

Four Trading Checks Added Together: 4d20 + 20 ⇒ (19, 12, 20, 3) + 20 = 74
Durgan is remarkably successful at trading.

Perception #1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Perception #2: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


F

Earlier

Kisaiya grimaces as Ameiko brings up all the kneeling. ”Sorry…I just got caught up in the moment. It all feels like something out of a story, you know? And you know I always wanted to be in one.” She gives Ameiko an awkward smile.

Charisma Check DC 15: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5

Now

Kisaiya spends the time traveling working on learning all the bits and pieces of the new set of ō-yoroi armor. It seems to have been *for* her specifically, and given the timing of receiving it she feels obligated to use it, even if she is fond of her grandmother’s armor. Still, she does feel conflicted.

She also works on trying out various recipes and tweaking ones she already knows to account for life on the road. There’s plenty of pasties, soup of three sisters, and quickbreads and she begins preserving thin bits of meat from the hunts to make pemican. She would make more hardtack, too, but it requires so long in an oven that it is impossible to make on the move.

Trade Checks: 4d20 + 20 ⇒ (14, 11, 13, 3) + 20 = 61

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Male halfling wolf-rider

With a much quicker speed than the caravan Rory enjoys hunting a little with storm, providing a little extra meat for the stewpot and a little leather for crafting.

After a bit, he presents Mukluk with two belts, one halfling size the other Dwarf size, asking, "Hey Mukluk could you make this belt magical? I'd really like to improve hand eye coordination. Oh and would you mind if I watch I've always been a little interested is spellcraft."

As they proceed to colder weather, Rory uses some of the rabbit hides he'd tanned to make a fur gambeson for Storm to wear under his armor, and 'Booties to protect his paws from the snow and ice.

perception: Rory: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
perception: Rory: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20
perception: Storm: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
perception: Storm: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


F

Kisaiya looks over the caravan and their new passengers. ”I think we should probably put in for more wagons soon. Another covered one for passengers and another storage one. Have to outfit with cold-weather gear, too.”

1,401 to 1,450 of 1,586 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Euan's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.