Curse of the Crimson Throne for PF2e by DM Doctor Evil

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Korvosa Street map

Map of Korvosa and environs

PF2 Actions Cheat Sheet

Loot Tracker


1 to 50 of 173 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

Had started an interest thread that has now turned into full on recruitment. Welcome to the departure lounge for Curse of the Crimson Throne reskinned for 2nd Ed Pathfinder. I will be using the Hardcover Edition, which is reskinned from the original 3.5 edition. It is one of my all time favorite adventures, and has a mix of several different settings, but is mainly an urban adventure in the Varisian city of Korvosa.

The original version (free PDF) of the Player's Guide is linked here. Please review the material for some background data but understand that actual player backgrounds (since this is new to PF2) are not included. You can choose a suitable background, or I will provide a few from the Hardcover Edition that will work below.

Players should use Paizo published PF2e materials for character creation. No 3PP will be allowed. Otherwise follow basic character creation guidelines. I will NOT be using the free archetype variant rule, since the characters can be widely varied at the outset, and not restricted by class or background.

Typically I will be looking for 4-6 players who run the gamut of classes, ancestries, and skills to provide the most well-rounded party. While the amount of available character creation choices has grown with more PF2 rules being released, I still prefer the tried-and-true character types over the more esoteric kind that many players create. Understand that your PCs will have to blend in, get along, and have diplomatic relations in a teeming city of mostly humans. Monstrous ancestries are allowed, but will likely be at a disadvantage in these regards.

I expect to choose a party quickly, so it may be 7 days or so before recruitment closes, perhaps faster. Characters will start at 1st level. Please only submit complete character ideas, including a crunch, a suitable backstory that ties your skills, background, ancestries, feats (if any) together. Obvious min/maxing will be frowned upon; much prefer a good story and tied together facts of creation.

Posting will be expected daily. I am in US Central time (Nashville area) and expect to mainly post in the late evenings, usually between 9PM-12AM. Players from other parts of the world and other usual posting times are perfectly acceptable but should be noted in the submission.

As I said in the title and the interest thread, new players to PF2 are encouraged and welcomed. If you need help with character creation, then let's discuss in the thread, or via IM if you're shy. Questions only help everyone, so please ask.

Think I have covered what I intended here. Feel free to ask things I forgot to mention or to get clarity. I am sure i will get more submissions than I can accept, so apologies in advance. Best of Luck, and see if you can knock my socks off!


Hi Doctor Evil, looking to submit a Human Fighter (from the Shingles) as I want to understand PF2 mechanics from a simple starting point! Even some of the 1st level feats have me asking questions…

As for a background, I was looking at the Framed background from the original Player’s Guide. Would it be permissible to have the framed friend actually dead, hanged by Zenobia “the Hanging Judge” Zenderholm - my character’s motivation would then be more revenge than clearing my friend’s name.


This is OSW's Human Fighter, born and "raised" in the Shingles. I decided on sticking to the Core Rulebook Bounty Hunter background.

Ok, first really big question: Do we add our level to everything? I can't remember from the one game I played here on the boards.

Tain is Expert in Perception and has Wisdom 12. So is his Perception +5 (Expert +4 and Wis +1) or +6 (Level +1, Expert +4, Wis +1)?

Is it the same with Saving throws and attacks/class DCs?

@Doctor Evil: the Shingles don't appear to be geographically specific - is there a particular region that is more crowded than the others - would Old Korvosa fit?


Whoot. Thanks for running this! I’ll have something ready tomorrow still running through ideas.


Oof! Seven days to learn enough PF2 to make an interesting and compelling character while still being mechanically useful. Lol, good thing I at least know the RPG basics to give it a shot. Hopefully, you’ll be more interested in the character and background given I suspect my crunch will be shaky before someone else proofreads my build, lol.

Right out of the gate, I’m thinking a student of the Acadamae. I’ll see what captures my interest tomorrow when I have a moment to check everything out.


Hey DM Dr.Evil I will work up a PC. I live in Clarksville. I am thinking a elven-ifiret,Fighter. I will have a character up, soon.


Wonderful! I'll build a character and submit it.

I'm thinking of making a halfling rogue who's a member of the Cerulean Society and a stevedore/sailor/low-level smuggler of the docks.

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I have a CotCT character I can update to 2e real quick! His name is Gerinel, and he's a Varisian orphan who was part of Gaedren Lamm's "Little Lamms before running away with a caravan and becoming a priest of Desna.


I love dwarves and like to dump charisma and make them somewhat rough around the edges. Is a 5 charism a dwarf minning?


Turns out dwarves have at least an 8 charisma in 2E! So I am going old school dwarf fighter. I recall power attack was a pretty solid ability of fighters in our playtest long ago.


Here is my character submission, Sable the Bard.

Background:
Sable is a native of Korvosa, the youngest of three children. Her parents and two older brothers are all alive, and working in various parts of the city. The name she uses, Sable, is an alias, to protect her family, as she has worked often in the Eel's End, primarily as a dance and dealer for the gabling dens. However, given the nature of the Eel's End, it is certainly possible she's been involved in seedier jobs over the years she has worked there.

Sable is 25 years old and took her stage name from the color of her long hair. She has green eyes, and is slim, and striking in a girl next door way rather than a supermodel way. Her long term goal is to become wealthy and travel the world. Her flaw, however, may keep that from happening. She has a hard time saying no to reasonable bets, and so money has a habit of flowing in and out of her hands, so she has not made progress towards her goal.

Unlike some bards who use instruments to Perform, Sable uses dance, and sometimes song.

Attributes:
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18

Ancestry:
Human. She has the skilled heritage, and I chose to be trained in Gambling Lore, which will become expert at level 5. Her Ancestry feat is General Training. I chose the Canny Acumen General feat, and bumped her Fort save to Expert with it. She speaks Common and Dwarven.

Background:
Entertainer. This gave the Theater Lore skill and the Fascinating Performance skill feat

Class:
Bard with the Maestro muse. This gives the Lingering Composition feat. Her cantrips are Detect Magic, Light, Infectious Enthusiasm, Read the Air, and Wash your Luck. Level one known spells are Biting Words, Magic Weapon, and Soothe (the latter gained via her Muse). She has one focus point, the Counter Performance Composition Spell, and the Inspire Courage Composition Cantrip.

Skills:
. These are just her trained skills. Acrobatics +5, Athletics +5, Deception +7, Diplomacy +7, Gambling Lore +3, Theater Lore +3, Occultism +3, Performance +7, Society +3

Combat Stats:
AC 17, HP 17, Perception +5, Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +5. Spell Attack +7, DC 17. Melee (Longsword, +5, 1d8+2), Ranged (Thrown Dagger, +5, 1d4, ranged 10')

Gear:
Studded Leather Armor, Longsword, 1 throwing dagger, Adventures Pack, 1 set fine clothing, 3 sets normal clothing, 1 mirror, 6 GP.

I think that's everything.

Radiant Oath

Humbly submitting Talindra Ravenheart. She's the first PF2e character I've made, so apologies if I've made any mistakes! I've done my best to copy the character sheet format I've seen some experienced PbPers use. An elven Paladin isn't going to fit well in Korvosa, but I think that'd make for some interesting drama! I think the background trait I'll choose is Love Lost. Elora found herself in Korvosa either as part of a traveling choir or to help do some other hands-on work like repairing the temple, and she met a bad end. Talindra got word of this and dropped everything to find out what happened.


I'll get something worked up in a day or two. Given that this will be my first PF2e submission, I will likely be going with something fairly vanilla (likely a human or half-elf rogue) in terms of mechanics, but will strive for an interesting back story.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

This looks like it’s getting filled up. I will take myself out of the application process for newer players. Good luck everyone!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Dotting for interest, looks like a lot of martial concepts already so I will angle for a gnomish Oracle of the Cosmos.


Working to complete background, Crusty dwarf fighter coming up.

Grand Lodge

Ooh, I loved playing this back in 1e... I would be interested in trying 2e. I have a concept for an unarmed fighter (with the intent to go with Monk, Martial Artist, or Wrestler at 2nd level).

Would you be interested in running that? I know some folk don't like that kind of PC in their traditionally Sword & Sorcery game...


Presenting Nininox Ambershale, XIV for consideration. He’s a gambling gnome sorcerer who dreams of one day being admitted to the Acadamae.

First off, my formatting is awful as I don’t know how to make a proper sheet for 2E as this is my first character. I will clean it up nice and pretty if chosen. As it is my first character, I’m sure there is an error or two that I’d be happy to correct.

I haven’t bought any gear yet, and what is listed is from an old alias, FYI. I’ll gear up for sure.

If you’d see anything that doesn’t make sense, or is wrong, please let me know and I’ll be happy to get it lined out! Thanks for running this GM. Good luck with your selections!


My current thought is an Elven Aasimar Variant Noble Bard. Based on your post, I don't see anything which would forbid me from doing this, but I figured I would check.

DM DoctorEvil wrote:
You can choose a suitable background, or I will provide a few from the Hardcover Edition that will work below.

Maybe I missed them, but I didn't see your recommended backgrounds. I'm suspicious that Noble won't be on them. <grin>


This is going to be Wrong John Silver's submission. I still have to write out the full background, but all the stats are there, and the basic story is that he works the docks, is a potter in his spare time, knows a lot about hidden compartments and how to make them, and his son has recently gone missing, and he's just learned about Gaedren Lamm.

Twilight Halfling Thief Rogue with the Artisan Background.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Nininox Ambershale, XIV wrote:

Presenting Nininox Ambershale, XIV for consideration. He’s a gambling gnome sorcerer who dreams of one day being admitted to the Acadamae.

First off, my formatting is awful as I don’t know how to make a proper sheet for 2E as this is my first character. I will clean it up nice and pretty if chosen. As it is my first character, I’m sure there is an error or two that I’d be happy to correct.

I haven’t bought any gear yet, and what is listed is from an old alias, FYI. I’ll gear up for sure.

If you’d see anything that doesn’t make sense, or is wrong, please let me know and I’ll be happy to get it lined out! Thanks for running this GM. Good luck with your selections!

Here is a PF2e format that I found for my players.

PF2e Character sheet


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Tain Hekkanen wrote:

This is OSW's Human Fighter, born and "raised" in the Shingles. I decided on sticking to the Core Rulebook Bounty Hunter background.

Ok, first really big question: Do we add our level to everything? I can't remember from the one game I played here on the boards.

Tain is Expert in Perception and has Wisdom 12. So is his Perception +5 (Expert +4 and Wis +1) or +6 (Level +1, Expert +4, Wis +1)?

Is it the same with Saving throws and attacks/class DCs?

@Doctor Evil: the Shingles don't appear to be geographically specific - is there a particular region that is more crowded than the others - would Old Korvosa fit?

I love questions!!! Hope i can answer them all correctly, so asking for crowdsourcing help, if I miss something.

1)Yes, you add your level bonus (+1 at first level) to trained skills, but not untrained ones. The trained bonus is also +2 so you start with a +3 to things you are trained in before stat bonus. Also, I do NOT think you can be Expert in a skill at first level. Those bonuses come at 2-6 level for chosen skills (unless you have a feat or ability I am not aware of).

2) You also add your level bonus to saves you are trained or expert in. This varies by class. Fighter is trained in Will but Expert in Reflex and Fort. You also add your +1 level bonus to weapon attacks etc, if you are proficient in them.

3) The Shingles are only built up in certain, low-rent parts of Korvosa. Old Korvosa is a perfect place to be from.

4) You will need a Background or at least a backstory that ties you to Gaedran Lamm as indicated in the old version of the Players Guide. You can use Bounty Hunter if you like, but you'll need to tie yourself to Lamm otherwise. There are some newer version Campaign Traits that will have to be converted to Backgrounds. I will be working on that....

Appreciate your interest and courage to get out there with PF2


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
pinvendor wrote:

Oof! Seven days to learn enough PF2 to make an interesting and compelling character while still being mechanically useful. Lol, good thing I at least know the RPG basics to give it a shot. Hopefully, you’ll be more interested in the character and background given I suspect my crunch will be shaky before someone else proofreads my build, lol.

Right out of the gate, I’m thinking a student of the Acadamae. I’ll see what captures my interest tomorrow when I have a moment to check everything out.

If we need more than 7days to work through crunch questions, we will take it as long as you are actively engaged in working on it here. I just don't want to leave it open for random people who haven't been engaged from early on.

Please, if you need help with crunch, then ask questions.

If you give me a captivating backstory etc, I will wait all day for the crunch stuff!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
GM Ash wrote:
Hey DM Dr.Evil I will work up a PC. I live in Clarksville. I am thinking a elven-ifiret,Fighter. I will have a character up, soon.

Hey! Middle Tennessee salute! I see you may be dropping out of the running, so thanks for stopping by. Maybe see you in a live game sometime. And I appreciate you leaving room for the uninitiated!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Dundin Larringfass wrote:
Turns out dwarves have at least an 8 charisma in 2E! So I am going old school dwarf fighter. I recall power attack was a pretty solid ability of fighters in our playtest long ago.

Just be ready to role-play a low CHA character if you choose to run it low. And yes Power Attack in 2E adds an extra damage dice, so instead of 1d8, it'd be 2d8 (plus bonuses, which aren't doubled). It does count as 2 Strike Actions however.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Lia Wynn wrote:

Here is my character submission, Sable the Bard.

Please tie her Background or backstory to Gaedren Lamm in some way. It will be necessary for the introduction of the story. I will get some Campaign specific backgrounds up tomorrow.

I think the rest seems reasonable at first glance.

PS: I LOVE bards. My favorite class to play.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Talomyr wrote:
I'll get something worked up in a day or two. Given that this will be my first PF2e submission, I will likely be going with something fairly vanilla (likely a human or half-elf rogue) in terms of mechanics, but will strive for an interesting back story.

I actually prefer fairly vanilla crunch, as long as it has an interesting role-playing take. Good luck!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Talindra Ravenheart wrote:
Humbly submitting Talindra Ravenheart. She's the first PF2e character I've made, so apologies if I've made any mistakes! I've done my best to copy the character sheet format I've seen some experienced PbPers use. An elven Paladin isn't going to fit well in Korvosa, but I think that'd make for some interesting drama! I think the background trait I'll choose is Love Lost. Elora found herself in Korvosa either as part of a traveling choir or to help do some other hands-on work like repairing the temple, and she met a bad end. Talindra got word of this and dropped everything to find out what happened.

Have not seen a paladin of Shelyn, so that's interesting. Elora's death at the hands of Gaedren Lamm or his henchmen is a perfect entry point for the story.

Thanks for the submission.

Radiant Oath

DM DoctorEvil wrote:
PS: I LOVE bards. My favorite class to play.

3000% agree on bards being my favorite, but I'm deliberately trying to play other classes I haven't played before. ... and even when I do that, I can't stay away from some bardishness. Kind of like how certain hobbits with Tookish lineage like to go on adventures, I guess. :)

DM DoctorEvil wrote:


1)Yes, you add your level bonus (+1 at first level) to trained skills, but not untrained ones. The trained bonus is also +2 so you start with a +3 to things you are trained in before stat bonus. Also, I do NOT think you can be Expert in a skill at first level. Those bonuses come at 2-6 level for chosen skills (unless you have a feat or ability I am not aware of).

2) You also add your level bonus to saves you are trained or expert in. This varies by class. Fighter is trained in Will but Expert in Reflex and Fort. You also add your +1 level bonus to weapon attacks etc, if you are proficient in them.

This was news to me! I'll have to update Talindra's stats accordingly. Thank you!

Edit: All updated, I think. Again, appreciate pointers if I've missed anything.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

Sorry gang, sleep overtakes me, and still much to do. I will return tomorrow evening and give some more commentary/advice/answers.

And yes, those pesky Backgrounds...

Thanks for your interest. I feel it coming together already!!!


@DM Doctor Evil:

Thanks for the answers.

My background is already completed. A little basic, but I prefer to develop my characters in play for the most part.

I need to collate all your info and update my sheet.

After that it is only equipment to go.


Interested and will post a character shortly


Background Addendum:
In Sable's line of work, and in the sort of dives she worked in, it was rare where people got close. Between drugs, and crime, and just the environment, it seemed everyone built walls. Even Sable. Except for one person. His name was Ruuskar, and he was an amurrun sailor from far Absalom. Once or twice a year he was in Korvosa, crewing on one ship or another, and they'd spend a few days having fun and getting into trouble. She'd even playfully had a ring made from a fragment of black hematite, a common, not very expensive, gemstone.

When she got a note from a fence she knew, a tengu named Coalfeather, to visit his shop, she did. She saw the ring on display and learned that way that Ruuksar had been found dead. Coalfeather wouldn't give her the ring, and she understood that, but he did share the fact that a man named Gaedren Lamm had sold it to him.

Now, Sable is torn. She wants to find some sort of justice for her friend. But, she doesn't believe that the authorities will do anything for the poor, so for now, she's waiting, and trying to see what she can subtly learn about him, patiently biding her time as she tries to find a weakness that can be used for her own goals.

On some side notes, I just want to say that all the applications have been amazing, and I don't envy Dr. Evil on his cut down choices. If anyone could show me how to link a character sheet into a profile name, I'd appreciate it. It's really cool. Also, if I can help anyone with the mechanics of character generation, toss me a PM. I haven't played 2E yet, but I've been GMIng for my daughter, and have it down pretty well.


@Lia: I’m not sure of I understand you completely by “character sheet”, but here goes.

Click on the My Account section at the top right of the screen.
Then click Account Settings (which may necessitate signing in/password again).

In your account setting you can make a new alias on the left side of the screen.

Your current alias has no information, but if you click on an alias that is yours you can edit it and populate it with character sheet information. Dorian Grey has linked one upthread I think.

Happy to answer more questions or clarify anything if you need it…and apologies if I got you completely wrong!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is an example for a Character Sheet for your Profiles.

I found it easy to navigate.

This is awesome with so many new to PF2e!

Happy gaming!


Placeholder for grappler brute.


Alright as I was working on the backstory a few adjustments seemed natural, so instead I am submitted a frostcrag orc Oracle of Tempests. @GM, if orc is a problem I can do half-orc instead.

Sollaug is a vassal of the Linnorm King White Estrid, living in Korvosa as part of a trade delegation managing relations with King Eodred Arbasti II as the Ulfen clans shifted back and forth between raiding and trading. As a mid-ranking member of the delegation he was reasonably busy, and thus couldn't keep an eye on his nephew Reidar as the younger Ulfen drank and and caroused in the seedier side of Korvosa...until he turned up dead, knifed in an alley. Sollaug burned with shame and anger at his failure to shield his sister's son, and but every lead came up empty until he found a merchant selling Reidar's torc and got a name for the merchant's source: Gaedran Lamm, a minor crime boss and dishonorable lowlife.

With the death of Kind Eodred and the ascension of his evidently more dangerous wife, Halgrim's delegation pulled out of the city to await developments, but Sollaug stayed behind. He has a score to settle.


Billi Hardstone is a dwarf fighter coming to Korvosa to find out why his parents were killed in an alley.

I will apply the +2 to craft if allowed per campaign trait.

He may explore a move to cleric later, but fighter seems pretty cool in 2E.


I present Morganne le Fontaine.
Crunch and fluff in the above link.
The idea is for her to be the party's main healer but I could shift her to focus more on battle/utility spells if the party has a cleric who wants to focus on healing.


Oh and I'm on the east coast of Australia so you're usual posting time is fine for me.


Aha! Thank you Veeges, I'm in CST but tend to be more active in the 7am-3pm window.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

@DM DoctorEvil
Ran across this World Anvil - Korvosa Player's Guide while trolling the web for background info on Korvosa. It seems to have a pretty good conversion of the CotCT campaign traits as backgrounds for PF2e if you've any interest in potential recruits using it.


Nice resource pinvendor. At the very least it gave me some ideas. Also, I’m still looking over the 2e classes trying to figure out what classes best captures my concepts.


Smiles-a-lot wrote:
Nice resource pinvendor. At the very least it gave me some ideas. Also, I’m still looking over the 2e classes trying to figure out what classes best captures my concepts.

What's your concept?


Right now I’m thinking about a varisian fortuneteller/harrow reader. Looking for something gish like with some personality.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
pinvendor wrote:

@DM DoctorEvil

Ran across this World Anvil - Korvosa Player's Guide while trolling the web for background info on Korvosa. It seems to have a pretty good conversion of the CotCT campaign traits as backgrounds for PF2e if you've any interest in potential recruits using it.

This is spectacular! Let's use these PF2 Backgrounds if you haven't already chosen one. The Campaign traits from the old PF1 campaign are similar but they do not tie in ability boosts and give bonuses to skills that are different.

In any event, if you use a standard PF2 background, your backstory must tie to Gaedren Lamm in some way. If you need more info or ideas for that, you can read this World Anvil post.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing! It's a big time saver, and I guess I should've let Google do the work for me....


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Aeshuura wrote:

Ooh, I loved playing this back in 1e... I would be interested in trying 2e. I have a concept for an unarmed fighter (with the intent to go with Monk, Martial Artist, or Wrestler at 2nd level).

Would you be interested in running that? I know some folk don't like that kind of PC in their traditionally Sword & Sorcery game...

unarmed fighter or monk is perfectly fine with me as far as immersion. Go for it

Grand Lodge

DM DoctorEvil wrote:
Aeshuura wrote:

Ooh, I loved playing this back in 1e... I would be interested in trying 2e. I have a concept for an unarmed fighter (with the intent to go with Monk, Martial Artist, or Wrestler at 2nd level).

Would you be interested in running that? I know some folk don't like that kind of PC in their traditionally Sword & Sorcery game...

unarmed fighter or monk is perfectly fine with me as far as immersion. Go for it

I also have an idea for a custom background that ties me in with a certain fencing instructor and missing women warriors... ;) Would you like me to submit it via PM or Spoiler so that people that want to be surprised can still be surprised, as some of it may be spoilery?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Aeshuura wrote:
DM DoctorEvil wrote:
Aeshuura wrote:

Ooh, I loved playing this back in 1e... I would be interested in trying 2e. I have a concept for an unarmed fighter (with the intent to go with Monk, Martial Artist, or Wrestler at 2nd level).

Would you be interested in running that? I know some folk don't like that kind of PC in their traditionally Sword & Sorcery game...

unarmed fighter or monk is perfectly fine with me as far as immersion. Go for it
I also have an idea for a custom background that ties me in with a certain fencing instructor and missing women warriors... ;) Would you like me to submit it via PM or Spoiler so that people that want to be surprised can still be surprised, as some of it may be spoilery?

Please PM or Spoiler Tag it. Thanks!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber
Camber Seedsplit wrote:

This is going to be Wrong John Silver's submission. I still have to write out the full background, but all the stats are there, and the basic story is that he works the docks, is a potter in his spare time, knows a lot about hidden compartments and how to make them, and his son has recently gone missing, and he's just learned about Gaedren Lamm.

Twilight Halfling Thief Rogue with the Artisan Background.

This also works for me. Thanks for the submission.

1 to 50 of 173 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Recruitment / PF2e - Curse of the Crimson Throne - New Players Welcome! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.