Curse of the Crimson Throne for PF2e by DM Doctor Evil

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Korvosa Street map

Map of Korvosa and environs

PF2 Actions Cheat Sheet

Loot Tracker


801 to 850 of 948 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

The naïve nobleman smiles wanly at your advice, but seems oblivious to what you really mean. He bows slightly mutters some thanks, and moves off about his business.

After that encounter, you notice the streets are busier than before, but its not a good kind of busy. Lots of sour and surly looks from the lower classes of people and little in the way of usual commerce or enterprise. Whatever mood held the city last night has not seemed to lessen today.

It's not far to the Sanctuary of Shelyn. Which is surprisingly small for a temple in a major city. It's no bigger than a modest house in fact. There is a small well-tended garden in front, with an archway above the entrance that says "There is Beauty in all things."

A pair of robed figures sit in the garden, one strumming a lyre, and the other vocalizing along softly. They acknowledge you with a small nod, but don't stop their practice.

The building has a ornately carved wooden door with satyrs nymphs and other woodland figures cavorting (and other activities) in a pastoral setting. The door opens easily, and sweet smell of incense greets you. While the exterior of the Sanctuary is modest, the inside is sumptuously decorated with varied and wonderful works of art filling the space.

There is a small parlor when you enter, and an female attendant in semi-transparent robes rises to greet you. "Be well, friends. Welcome to the Sanctuary of Shelyn. How may the servants of the Eternal Rose help you?" At first she doesn't seem to notice Talindra among you, since you are all a strange group to look at.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Going to do a bit of worldbuilding here, as I have been with Talindra's faith since the beginning. Hopefully you don't think it's too crazy :)

Before Talindra even sees the temple, she hears the song. It's quite familiar to her: a quiet, meditative, devotional piece. As she enters, a smile graces her features for what seems like the first time in a year. Taking in the sights, she gives a heavy, though relaxed, sigh. Home.

She greets the attendant with the same Shelynite hand gesture she greeted Maka with earlier. "I see the beauty in you", she says, a standard greeting among Shelynites. Extending her arms for a hug, "Talindra Ravenheart, servant from Absalom. Personally, I have come to see how I can serve here. My companions have their own goals, though I'm personally here to see how I can help. Oh! And there's this!" Here, she fetches the abalone holy symbol. "How I found it is... an unpleasant story, not fit to sully the beauty of the temple. All I'll say is I do wonder whether it was stolen from here."


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

Sable doesn't say anything, but she is a little stunned to see the musical practice going on when there is unrest in the city. Where are people they could be helping? Why are they not more active given everything in the city?

She's not religious, so maybe this is normal for Shelynite's, but it doesn't keep her from being more than a little shocked.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi bows
"Billi at your service, how can Shadowe and I help you?"


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle's own holy symbol is on display and she gives a nod of respect. She seems surprised at something but does not comment.


Feel free to add or expand on things I lay out for world building. At least within reason...

The young woman receives the embrace from Talindra and responds with a kiss on the lips. "And I you, Talindra Ravenheart of Absalom. I am Nara, a docent of the Eternal Rose.

As Billi introduces himself, she embraces and kisses him as well. "Be well, Master Billi, and Shadow>" she adds with a smile. She does the same to any who introduce themselves as way of greeting.

When Talindra shows the abalone holy symbol, Nara's eyes go wide with wonder. "It is most exquisite! No, I have not seen its like, but you are fortunate to recover such a thing. If it is from someone here, I do not know it, but we must ask the Mistress. She is at work in solar. Would like to see her? Or how else can the Sanctuary be of service to you?"


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle introduces herself by name and her own goddess, and is a bit startled by a kiss on the lips.

She wants to let Talindra take charge, so she does, but glances at the others "Friendly temple."

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Freely returning the affection shown by Nara, Talindra nods to her. "The pleasure is mine, Nara. Yes, I would very much like to ask the Mistress about the holy symbol. I'm also most interested in how I can help the city. It's quite a mess out there, and as you know, Shelyn's champions are people of action. I know you're but a few people here, but have the good temples--at least the Prismatic Ray--started organizing to help out? It's our duty--our responsibility--to serve, especially at times like this." A beat. "I know you've been busy here, but... it's dire out there. We broke up a fight just on the way here." Her brow furrows and she sighs. She raises her eyes to take in the art and the music, trying again to find peace.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

"My name is Sable." says Sable, but she waves off the kiss. Beyond that, she doesn't say anything at the moment.


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt sweeps off his hat with a slight bow. "I'm Perivolt Ornelos, Acadamae student."

He's quite caught off-guard by the kiss as he initially assumes the woman is merely coming in for a hug. He now worries if his breath still smells like the lunch served at his family estate.

"Ah, yes, um. Well, thank you." His cheeks flushing, Perivolt clears his throat. "I apologize if I remind you of corned beef and roast Brussels sprouts."

Just realized Brussels sprouts wouldn't actually be called Brussels sprouts if not on Earth! No idea how else to refer to them, though...


Nara shrugs as Sable shies away from the welcoming kiss, and laughs at Perivolt. "You've nothing to worry about Master Ornelas. Be well, all are welcome here."

She then address Talindra's questions. "We were surprised by the violence of the evening past. We offered to shelter to those who came to seek it, and provided some healing and counsel to a few, but we have not acted in any organized way to prevent or intervene directly. Nor have any of the temples, to my knowledge. You may speak with the Mistress more about this if you wish. I will see if she is ready to receive visitors. Please relax here in the meantime. And there are refreshments, should you choose." She offers a few very comfortable looking lounges as she departs, and motions to a bar area where tea and coffee service is prepared in some urn and pots that appear to be hand-crafted and lined with precious metals.

After a few moments filled with the music from outside in the garden, Nara returns. "The mistress will see you now. Please follow me." She leads you up a curving staircase with a crystal chandelier overhead the reflects the sunlight from a window above into a myriad of rainbows shapes that dance about the steps dazzlingly.

At the top, a small room with windows filling the walls on two sides holds the office of the Mistress of the Sanctuary. An older woman, still tall, lithe and striking, with greying hair and bright blue eyes stands to welcome you. She offers you the same embrace with a kiss as Nara did downstairs. "Be well, friends. I am Mistress Lyddia, the head priestess here. You are welcome in our Sanctuary, if you are lover of art, beauty, and good. Please have a seat." She offers you places to recline on cushions on the floor of the room, which is filled with sunlight. Orchids, irises, and of course roses fill all the flat surfaces in the room, blooming in wild explosions of color. The resulting aroma is thick and intoxicating.

"Nara tells me you, Talindra Ravenheart, are of the faith. What can we do for you and your friends this day?"

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

A time-honored tactic for replicating something in a fictional world is to pick a part of the world where the item is from and rename it accordingly (bonus points if you keep the theme similar), so e.g. Brevoy Sprouts. It fits in terms of the alliteration but also in that, like Belgium, Brevoy is a relatively young nation.

Talindra cracks a smile at Perivolt. "I assure you, we Shelynites have encountered worse. Some of those herbs you can get in Absalom... delicious, but not something you want to eat before the High Greeting!" A moment, and then a clarification in response to any confused looks: "Oh, that's the official affectionate greeting."

She listens intently to Nara, though her smile fades slightly. "I do suppose it's still early, though I'd love to work on something organized. The people need us. Something to ask the Mistress about."

In the moments of silence while Nara is away, she tries to gauge her companions' moods. "Yes, our ways can be a bit... surprising for others. I'm sorry if it took you by surprise!" At this, she closes her eyes and takes in the music, humming along. Folding her hands on her lap, the smile returns, and her shoulders relax. I do so miss the choir... I think I'll join them when all this is done.

The Sanctuary is much like the ones she's seen before, albeit this one is by necessity on a smaller scale--though no less lovely. She breathes deeply, and for a moment nature's perfumes transport her back home. Naturally greeting Mistress Lyddia in the same way as she did Nara, she nods. "First, I come to share beauty made in the Eternal Rose's name." Again she proffers the abalone holy symbol. "My companions and I recovered this from someone, and as I said to Nara, I have reason to believe it was stolen from here, or from another holy resting place. Is it familiar? I am also come to help organize a response to the tragedies that have happened in the past day. We champions cannot sit still, as you know, and the pains of the city hurt my heart. All the love has left the city, and I feel it's our duty to do something about it."


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

"All the love has not left the city, Talindra. All the leadership seems to have, though." Sable says. There are traces of bitterness and anger in her voice.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi addresses Nara:
”I also wish to repurpose a magic rune to good instead of evil. Currently it is in a controversial weapon. I am far away from dwarves craftsmen, Would you know of anyone in Korvosa that could do this?”


The Mistress looks over the shell holy symbol. "I have not seen this before, but it quite lovely. If someone stole it, it was not from one of my flock. It seems The Eternal Rose has smiled on your performance, and seen fit to reward you. Wear it proudly."

When you mention aiding the city to restore order, she frowns a bit. "Our position here is complicated. We are not a big faith, as you can see. Those in power tolerate us, but we cannot risk public displays, especially if they are seen against the crown, and while the crown is in flux, it is better for us, in the long run to keep a low profile. We will provide aid to those artisans who require it, but we will not make a public display against one side or the other. However," she says lowering her voice, "there is a favor you could do for the Sanctuary, and for me. If you will take such a thing on."

She pauses to make sure you understand her caution in the other matter, and to see if she has your interest in this other thing.


Nara whispers to Billi while the others converse. "Show me this weapon, Master Dwarf, and I will see what can be done."


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi hands over the dagger with the key shape.

"I think this was used by a very bad man."


Nara's eyes widen at the sight of the weapon, and she recognizes it instantly. "Let's step back into the parlor, Billi. This may take some discussion."

She opens the door leading from the solar, and if you follow, takes the dagger back downstairs, holding it gingerly.

Billi:
"Yes, this is from the Key-Lock Killer, as you may understand. They never caught the Key-Lock killer, you know. They killed nine people who were inside locked homes. I heard that seven of the nine victims were nobles who opposed the Arbiters. And that the killer was paid by the Arbiters to eliminate their opposition. I think the Key-Lock Killer was one of the arbiters themselves, and I think he's still alive serving as judge to this day!"


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Nara:

"I trust you to determine how this should be handled. I do not want to be responsible for unleashing any evil on this city I have grudgingly grown to love. Maybe we remove the rune and destroy the dagger if the rune itself is untainted??"


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

"I don't believe you need to take sides to be helpful, Mistress." says Sable. "We've helped people, and have not taken any sides. We saved a man's life on the way here just as an example. Some of your, and the other churches' people out on the streets, spreading calm and helping people visibly would make a world of difference and you would not have to make any political statement."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle feels sympathy for the mistress, but nods at Sable's concerns and points "I think the point of visibility even as a apolitical source of comfort would make a difference as well. To be fair though, I've not yet checked on the temple of my own goddess to see how we are proceeding. Still, you play such lovely music. Maybe music praising peace heard out on the streets would be a start?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt smiles wryly as Sable continues the strong stance on social reform he witnessed at his family luncheon.

"Watch out, Korvosa. Change is coming and her name is Sable," he chuckles to no one in particular. He watches her with admiration.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Talindra blushes a bit at the correction from Sable. "Yes, you're right, of course. I should have chosen my words more carefully.". I guess not everyone got the metaphor...

She straightens and listens as the conversation unfolds. Seeing an opportunity for redemption with her companion, she seizes upon it. "You begin to see, in part, I hope, why I travel with those I have brought before you today. They are wise, wiser than I, and care deeply about the city. I'm not suggesting we paint a mural criticizing or defending those in power, just that we organize with the other faithful and try to keep people from fighting and making things worse. Pay for some meals for folks who can't afford to feed themselves. Do what we can to make sure people have a roof over their heads. It's not our usual approach"--a pointed glance at the holy symbol and the art festooning the walls--"but to put it in words our goddess would appreciate: if we truly say our goal is to bring beauty and love into the world, then surely eliminating hurt and pain is the first step? One of the first lessons of the faith is that love can't blossom in a heart filled with hate. The city's leadership has indeed abandoned it, as Sable said, and hatred and fear have blossomed to fill the gaps left behind."


Billi:
Nara nods along. "I believe I know someone who can help you and will be discreet about the rune's origin. May I keep this for the day, and see if my contact can help us?"


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Nara:
Billi nods and adds "If we can find who the original owner is--I would like to visit this person. If they are still around that would be unsettling."


Mistress Lyddia sighs at the replies. "You think this counsel passes for wisdom? It is the passion of the young who think that good works can solve every ill. It is true that the community needs us, but if we lose our ability to profess our faith, our Sanctuary, or even our lives, what has been gained? Martyrs help few. The game is longer than one night's events, or even a weeks. These questions have not been far from my thought's since the news of the king's passing. My prayers of just what we do have not been answered, and clarity eludes me. But I do know that a diabolical-loving queen mixed with an ascendant faith of The Dark Prince does not bode well for our long term presence in this city."

She sighs again, bowing her head for a few moments. "Act as you will, but for now the Sanctuary's official actions will be subtle and in the background. A beautiful rose inspires no one when it is tread underfoot. We must be wise enough to be measured in our response....at least for now." She looks at each of you in turn, her eyes lingering on Sable and then Talindra. "I am sorry if this course does not meet your approval, but I am the Mistress, and my concerns are for the long term."

She touches her own holy symbol hanging from a jeweled chain around her neck as if for comfort and reassurance. "I had hoped you might assist me, as I mentioned, but I understand if that is not to be."


Billi:
Nara takes the weapon and secrets it beneath her robe, which, for being mostly see-through in places, has some kind of hidden compartment apparently. "I told you I believe the killer still lives and holds power as an Arbiter in the Longacre Building, but I have no way to prove such a thing. Perhaps you do? Keep your eyes and ears open, Billi Hardstone, especially in these strange times."


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi gathers the group aside later.

"I have allowed Nara to take the dagger with the key. The killer may be an arbiter in the Longacre Buidling. I would like to conclusively prove that the killer is there and bring him in."


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

One might expect that Sable would explode. She does not. She simply turns and walks for the door, but at the door, she pauses and turns back to Talindra.

"This is your family and your home within the city. If you find that the task that she needs help with is a worthy one, I'll support and help you without reservation and to the best of my ability."

She leaves the small church, walks across the street, and rests her back against a wall. It does not look like things will calm anytime soon, and she knows she'll be in the middle of it. This is home after all, and she has family and friends to try and keep safe.

But, she's seen enough bar fights to know that hair can be a weapon, and she takes out her dagger. By the time the others emerge, Sable is partly surrounded by the locks of her formerly long hair, cut raggedly short, and likely to be touched up to make it look better when she has time to sit and something to balance the mirror in her pack on.

Since Billi shares his information with us later, I'll post a reply to him once we are all back together.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi returns to the main conversation with Lydia, and notices Sable gone.

"I cannot see much good if devils get a say in how things go here. Yes, order will come out of it, but an insidious evil will come with it. Mistress Lydia, please let me know what you want done. I am not an oathbound champion, but I think Torag would want diabolical influence eliminated where all possible. My axe is yours if it helps the lot of the commoners of this city, which seem to always be the first to suffer the mistakes of the wealthy and powerful."

He smiles at Perivolt: "If I am wealthy and powerful I hope to avoid making mistakes like you have so far. You have been given a chance and the example to commit a few. That you have not shows good character."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle winces at the high priest's chastisement, hoping it doens't wound Talindra who is , despite her battle prowess, a kind and sensitive soul.
Then Sable takes it calmly... that's nice.
Then Sable walks out!
Lenrelle blinks. I think we need a refresher on this 'we need to stick together' theory. Clearly not everyone has the same definition
Still, she can't quite blame Sable for her frustration. It must seem to her as if most with power are refusing to use it to help save in the most timid of ways, if at all.
I wonder how the temple of Sarenrae is handling this? I hope we take more.. open action, but it's not for me to say.

Then Billi comes in with his news and she listens and says "Sable just went outside"

Quote:
"I cannot see much good if devils get a say in how things go here. Yes, order will come out of it, but an insidious evil will come with it. Mistress Lydia, please let me know what you want done. I am not an oathbound champion, but I think Torag would want diabolical influence eliminated where all possible. My axe is yours if it helps the lot of the commoners of this city, which seem to always be the first to suffer the mistakes of the wealthy and powerful."

Lenrelle smiles proudly at him at that. For all his praise of our Noble, in the end, Billi is a rather noble soul himself. "And I'll help too, of course."


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi whispers to Lenrelle:
"Religious types, like priests of Torag, are not know for tolerance of differences with 'Settled religious doctrine'."

Billi is to proud to use air quotes.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Talindra returns Mistress Lyddia's sighs with one of her own. After Sable departs oh no oh no oh no, a deep, steadying breath. It doesn't work, so she takes a seat to steady herself instead. "I do want to help. What is this favor? We can start there. Even if we don't agree on the methods of helping the city, working together will serve everyone better than arguing about what to do." It was always so much simpler back in Absalom...

She nods in acknowledgement of Billi's words on devils. "Say what you will of the counsel I keep--Sable's included--and its lack of wisdom, but you have my word their hearts are pure. I think we can agree we all want to help as best we can."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)
Billi Hardstone wrote:

Billi whispers to Lenrelle:

"Religious types, like priests of Torag, are not know for tolerance of differences with 'Settled religious doctrine'."

Billi is to proud to use air quotes.

The Priestess looks at the air quotes, arches a brow "You don't say?"

That said, there's a tone of amusement under it all


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt winks at Billi. He leans forward and stage whispers, "Not all the Ornelos are bad eggs, but trust me on this. If you ever meet any others without me, it's better to assume they are the worst. At least to start."

Mistress Lyddia wrote:
"I am sorry if this course does not meet your approval, but I am the Mistress, and my concerns are for the long term."

Perivolt strokes his beard as Sable manages to keep her composure and retreats before said composure has a chance to change its mind.

He finds himself conflicted as he wants to check the bard, but is curious as to the task the Sanctuary of Shelyn would require.

Will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Perivolt manages to resist the urge to follow Sable immediately and lingers to hear the request...but if the Mistress doesn't stop being so mysterious and get to it, he'll likely leave out of concern for their friend.


As Sable leaves, the Mistress follows with her keen eyes. "As I said, leadership in troubled times is not popular."

"Now, about that favor. I have heard many rumors and tall tales about the night of the death of Eodred, some fanciful and some perhaps partially true, but one of those stories intrigues me and Sanctuary. The story is that before he died, the King was having his portrait made by an artist, a comely young lass as its told. The wags, at least those that don't blame the Queen, say this artist was at the heart of a regicidal plot."

She holds up a hand to stop any protest from you. "Now, now, I know what happens if you believe the rumor mill. Even some here, like Nara, enjoy a good gossip now and then, but I have reason to believe that a young artist was at least present that night. What exactly happened is unclear but here is my request. Find out who this girl was, and if you can, find her in the this morass of a city and bring her to protection either here, or a place of your own choosing. If the Queen's men find this girl before you, she is likely done for, and they likely know her name. The mob is just chaotic enough, it may be on the lookout for a scapegoat for the King's death as well. Korvosa is not safe for her. But perhaps you can do some good in this small measure, and serve the Rose at the same time. I will give you a small reward should you succeed."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)
DM DoctorEvil wrote:

As Sable leaves, the Mistress follows with her keen eyes. "As I said, leadership in troubled times is not popular."

At THAT Lenrelle's eyes narrow. Sable is a FRIEND and it is not so simple as that. She calms herself rather than inform the woman that when leadership appears so timid, it right it should be questioned.

Quote:


"Now, about that favor. I have heard many rumors and tall tales about the night of the death of Eodred, some fanciful and some perhaps partially true, but one of those stories intrigues me and Sanctuary. The story is that before he died, the King was having his portrait made by an artist, a comely young lass as its told. The wags, at least those that don't blame the Queen, say this artist was at the heart of a regicidal plot."

She holds up a hand to stop any protest from you. "Now, now, I know what happens if you believe the rumor mill. Even some here, like Nara, enjoy a good gossip now and then, but I have reason to believe that a young artist was at least present that night. What exactly happened is unclear but here is my request. Find out who this girl was, and if you can, find her in the this morass of a city and bring her to protection either here, or a place of your own choosing. If the Queen's men find this girl before you, she is likely done for, and they likely know her name. The mob is just chaotic enough, it may be on the lookout for a scapegoat for the King's death as well. Korvosa is not safe for her. But perhaps you can do some good in this small measure, and serve the Rose at the same time. I will give you a small reward should you succeed."

"Is the mob looking for a scapegoat, or is someone higher up? Forgive me. I understand Shelyn loves artists, and is protective of them, but it sounds like you have some connection or contact to have gotten this rumor so quickly. So I ask you plain , do you suspect someone is laying out this artist deliberately for the mob and if so? Who do you think that someone is?" Lenrelle inquires. She had mentioned earlier when visiting a certain noble family that someone seemed to want to direct the mobs, that they had something to gain by it, and she still thinks that might be the case.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1
DM DoctorEvil wrote:
As Sable leaves, the Mistress follows with her keen eyes. "As I said, leadership in troubled times is not popular."

A frown--almost a scowl--darkens Talindra's features at this. A great leader just left this room, and yet here you sit... She listens to Lyddia's request, though the vagueness causes her to fidget. Vague tasks never sit well with her; she procrastinates and finds herself too easily distracted. Her superiors back in Absalom told her to focus on breaking down the task into smaller pieces she did know how to tackle, but getting there from something so vague and mysterious has always eluded her.

Still, she nods her acquiescence. "I'll do what I can. As you said, at least half the city is looking for this girl, so she's certainly taken pains to keep herself safe and her location a well-kept secret. Still, you are correct, it would be a shame for her to come to a bad end."

Then, once the exchange between Lyddia and Lenrelle (and anyone else) is finished: "If there's nothing further, I need to check on a friend who just left. Question her wisdom all you like, but I've seen her courage firsthand and it rivals even the bravest champions. May the beauty in you blossom like the Rose." With this, she rises, and exits the building.


To Lenrelle the priestess responds:

"Information moves quickly in these times. But sometimes that information is suspect, tainted or fueled by rumor rather than fact. I have resources but I will not disclose them to you at this time. I feel that if this story proves true, both the Queen and the mob will be looking for this girl, if she exists at all. If she is an artist, and therefore under the protection of the Eternal Rose, we must look out for her, but do so surreptitiously. Discretion is called for first and foremost, and deniability for the Sanctuary. I think you understand this. It complicates the task, but the Faith cannot be seen to have an active hand, there is too much at stake."

To Talindra she smiles and nods.

"Thank you for your service. I am sure your friend is brave as a lion, but sometimes bravery is not what is required. Wisdom is knowing when to look and when to leap, not just leaping and dealing with the consequences. Our situation in the city is complicated and perilous, even before the death of Eodred. It is in more peril now. I will meditate on what the Sanctuary can do to take a more active role without risking our position, perhaps there is more than we have done already...it is worth considering. May She bless you and keep you in her graces, all of you. There are difficult days ahead for us all."

She then stands and Nara escorts you back downstairs where Sable is waiting.

Feel free to reply or react as you see fit. Otherwise, we can move to what you have in mind next.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi nods at the priestess.

"I will make every effort to get to her and bring her back safely. I am not so skilled at locating her discreetly. But, at least I know magicians and holy ones who can help in that respect. We should begin immediately, as she seems in peril at this very moment!!"


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

When the group emerges from the Sanctuary, Sable is across the street, back against a wall of a building, a pile of her hair in a semi-circle around her feet. When the group comes over and relates the events within, she purses her lips.

She first looks to Billi. You gave the dagger of the - or a - serial killer to someone you just met, and took her at her word that she knows, or suspects who the killer is? Did you ask why she didn't turn him in before all this if she knew? Then she points you at a judge? What if she is the, or one of the killers?"

After hearing the task that was given to them, Sable laughs and laughs, then shakes her head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to carry on like that. It's just so insane to me that someone who thinks that asking people to go home is a risk, but sending us after this girl is safe."

"I mean, she told us that a girl, who is an artist, may have been part of a conspiracy to murder the king. We don't have a name, a description, a location, or even if she is human or someone else. We have a city rioting, and the Queen's forces, if they are even after her at all, would know everything we don't."

"So, to sum it up, we have been asked to find a girl who may be part of a murder cabal, or she may be innocent. The Queen's people may - or may not be looking for her. If they are, it may be to arrest her, or to kill her, and that all depends on if the Queen is guilty of murder herself, If she is not, and we have no evidence that she is, she is doing her job by bringing in the girl. If she is guilty, and we bring the girl here, we place a target on the Sanctuary."

Sable takes a breath. "The girl might have answers. She might not. We have to find her to find out. To do that, we have to know her name at the very least. If she was doing the King's picture, she has to be known among the nobility. Perivolt, do you, or your family, know any patrons of the arts that could recommend an artist to the King? An artist like that would be more likely to run in your circles than in mine."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle listens, "I Serve a goddess who asks honesty of her priests, but I think she will forgive me if I don't go screaming my truths to the rooftops. And I do understand you and this church are in a precarious situation. We'll look for this woman, of course, and thank you for considering our words with care." She nods.

Quote:
"I will make every effort to get to her and bring her back safely. I am not so skilled at locating her discreetly. But, at least I know magicians and holy ones who can help in that respect. We should begin immediately, as she seems in peril at this very moment!!"

Lenrelle nods to Billi, "You cut to the core of it. It could be happening now so we should make haste."

*********
Edit because of simultaneous posting
Once they meet Sable...

Lenrelle looks at the hair with surprise but...well, it's Sable's head. Then she listens. Sable has a lot to say "Clearly you kept a lot bottled in inside there, Sable. And I share a lot of your frustration. I agree what they say is vague and dubious. But we did learn something of import. The Shelynites don't trust the queen either. When I asked about if someone higher up was putting this girl out as a sacrifice, the high priestess evaded the question on if they suspect anyone all, but the Mob, faceless and many was mentioned, the ONLY individual they mentioned was the queen. They think she's perfectly cable of framing a woman and arranging for her death. Whether the queen is or isn't doing that, they believe it is not beyond her. Which means, at the core of it, the Church of Shelyn believes the Queen is corrupt."

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

The first thing Talindra sees as the sun greets her again is Sable's haphazard haircut. "Sable, your hair... are you okay? I have to apologize for Lyddia... I wasn't expecting her to be so... resistant to helping. Back home the church takes a more proactive role in the city." That said, she listens, then looks around the area a bit nervously.

Her voice low, "Frankly, I'm not sure how we're going to find this girl, if she even exists. I made that much clear to Lyddia but she didn't tell us anything we can actually use. Lenrelle is right that she doesn't trust the Queen, and is clearly afraid of reprisal from acting too boldly." Here, she stabs the butt of her glaive into the ground. Back to normal volume, "Reprisal and long term goals be damned! People need help now!" She takes a position adjacent to Sable leaning against the wall. "You said you'll help with the task if I find it worthy. Right now, with how little information we have... I'm not sure if I do. We could be doing so much more good making sure people have food and roofs over their heads. Kind of ironic, then, but I come to you for help: this is your home. How can we help the citizens best? An hour ago I was certain my temple would help, but..." She dismissively, dejectedly, kicks a small stone across the street.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

"Of course the Queen could be corrupt. Anyone can be corrupt. You could argue that we are corrupt. After all, just last night we killed five men, only one of which we knew deserved it, at the command of a ghost who didn't tell us she was one until after we murdered for her. Now, I want to be clear that I don't have an issue with what we did. Lamm earned his death, and since his men were willing to let him feed kids to a gator, I think what we did was justified. But, someone else might see it as corrupt. I would caution, though, to not assume the girl is innocent. She might be. She might not be. The Queen might be, and the Queen might not be. Until we have actual evidence, we need to keep our minds open. If we don't, we end up pawns."

Sable then turns to Talindra with a smile. "I'm fine. It's just not time for long hair. I've seen too many people pulled down by long hair in a bar fight, and since fighting seems quite likely, I'm making it a little harder to grab me. As for your Mistress Lyddia, she's just scared. Nothing is wrong with that. I'm scared, too."

When Talinda asks her how they can help, a smile creases her face. "The irony of a Champion of Shelyn asking a stripper what to do is not lost on me. But, the answer is nothing. We can't help the people. We don't have the resources. We can help people we run across, but for the city as a whole, we can't do anything. Instead, we find the girl. If she's innocent, we help her. If she's guilty, we figure out what to do what her then, and maybe we get answers either way.'

As she speaks, she wracks her mind trying to figure out if she knows anyone who might have connection to artists the nobility would hire.

Society: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)
Quote:
If she's innocent, we help her. If she's guilty, we figure out what to do what her then, and maybe we get answers either way.'

"That does cut to the core of it. I had hoped to go to the temple of Sarenrae, but I suppose we should focus on this."

She ponders where might be a good place to search for such a woman

Lore Korvosa: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi consults those who would know artists. He also talks to some of his bar friends from his past.
Lore (Korvosa) +5 hidden


It is getting near dusk as the party gathers outside the Sanctuary of Shelyn, where the faint strains of a stringed instrument can still be heard.

Billi spends some time away from the group doing some questioning of his contacts, but those lower life fellows he knows don't know much about artists, nobility, or the Castle.

Sable also doesn't know where artists would hang out or congregate. Her first thought might be the Sanctuary itself or one of the people inside.

Lenrelle knows that the guard at Castle Korvosa keep a log of anyone who has come in or out of the structure, especially those who have audience with the King. If someone was painting his portrait, there should be a record of it at the Castle, but getting hands on it might be an issue.

After those discussions and queries, it is getting dark, and the lamplighters are out illuminating the streets, which are still seething to the point of boiling.

Secret Rolls:

Billi Lore: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

"They keep a log at Castle Korvosa of those who have an audience with the king. That would certainly include painting his portrait. Think we can talk the guards into letting us take a peek at it?"


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

"I'm not even sure that they will let us get close to the Castle. Especially at night, more so if there are more riots when the sun goes down. We need shelter I think, and my place is by Eel's End. I don't know if there is anyplace closer we can stay for the night." says Sable.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

While Billi is trying to get some information from people he knows in the city, Talindra meanwhile goes back into the Sanctuary to look for posters advertising for artists or performances. thinking of the kind of thing you'd see posted in a small, indie bookstore / coffeeshop She tries to synthesize this with what she can remember about artists in the city.

I'd like to use my Craft (specialized in Artistry), Lore: Arts, or Performance skills; the former are +4 and the latter is +6. Performance isn't listed under Recall Knowledge, but it seems a reasonable application of the skill to me.

801 to 850 of 948 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne for PF2 ed - by DM Doctor Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.