Curse of the Crimson Throne for PF2e by DM Doctor Evil

Game Master DM DoctorEvil

Korvosa Street map

Map of Korvosa and environs

PF2 Actions Cheat Sheet

Loot Tracker


701 to 750 of 948 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

I will give another day for the bath responses, and them move us on to the next facet of life with the Ornelas'


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi moves into the baths and quickly decides that baths are highly underrated in dwarven mines. He sinks to the bottom of the tubs and tries to hold his breath as long as possible.

He uses this opportunity to trim his beard with his clan dagger and look as presentable as possible.

Billi is amazed at the creatures he has seen in the city. Sharks, hippogriffs, then imps and finally house drakes. Korvosa is quite amazing to him. He is determined to continue his pursuit to find a creature for himself. Although he likes baths, he has completely ruled out sharks as candidates.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

Sable examines the dagger when she is with Lenrelle and Talindra and her face goes pale. She shakes her head if the others ask what's wrong. "I'll tell everyone at the same time.

When the group is together, she sets the blade down. "Perivolt might remember this, I don't know how it impacted this part of the city. In recent years, we've had at least one serial killer in Korvosa. He, or she, or they would silently break into a home, kill one person within, leave a dagger that looked like this on or near the victim and leave. Nothing was stolen, and the door locked behind them. The door to the house."

She takes a moment to compose herself. "It was, no, it still is, terrifying. We haven't had a Key Lock murder, we called him, or whatever, the Key Lock Killer, in months. Maybe it was Lamm. Maybe it was someone else and he just stole a dagger as a grisly trophy. Maybe it was a cult, or a group, or something like that. I don't know. I do know I'm getting creepy feelings. Between the ghost, and the King, and the brooch, and this, I'm getting a lot of bad feelings."

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Bath time!:

Goddess, your splendors never cease! Initially offput by all the wealth and arcane magic on display, Talindra nevertheless finds her mouth agape as she takes in the sights of the baths. The surprise remains as she doffs her armor and slips into the water. Days of stress melt away as she submerges herself up to her mouth, resting her head on the tile floor. The rest of the world, all the worries she entered the building with, even her companions, fade from her mind as she luxuriates in the water. Even the idea of actually bathing--of cleaning herself--slips her mind for several moments. A long, heavy sigh escapes her lips. She'd taken baths in the temple in Absalom, but the baths there were purely functional. While ostentatious, this was a sensory experience of a totally different kind.

The conversation between Lenrelle and Sable gently encroaches on the edge of her consciousness, and she comes back to reality with a small start, making some waves in the bath. Giggling to herself both in genuine amusement and to dispel some awkwardness, she takes the time to scrub away the more physical signs of the stress of the past few days. The soaps, the oils, she embraces all of the accoutrements the Ornelos estate has on offer. If any of her companions give her an odd look, she reminds them that Shelyn teaches her followers to embrace the physical aspects of life. Indeed, the sensory experience is a religious one for Talindra, and she savors it as such. The bath is an almost solemn experience for her, and she stays mostly silent throughout.

I had a good giggle at that bit about not wanting a shark, Billi :)


Creepy dagger:

Talindra's face also pales--an unexpected sight given her usual pallor--as she hears Sable tell of the dagger. Her shoulders involuntarily hunch up again, the pressures of reality fighting their way back in and disturbing the calm she cultivated with the bath. "You're not the only one getting bad feelings." Then, she lowers her voice. "I think it'd probably be best if we keep quiet about the dagger until we're sure we know what to do about it. I don't know who to trust here and carrying something like this seems like it'd invite attention from people we'd prefer to avoid."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle might tease Talindra about using all the luxuries of the bath offered, but only a little and she'd have to concede the Champion did have a point. Compared to Talindra and Sable, she wonders if she's the 'drab sister' of the three. Oh well, envy won't do her any good and frankly they have other traits worth admiring. A profound kindness, easy confidence. Those are more worth emulating.

She was glad to hear Sable's folks are well, but nodded at mention of riots.

Then, later, they all get news of the dagger

Quote:

When the group is together, she sets the blade down. "Perivolt might remember this, I don't know how it impacted this part of the city. In recent years, we've had at least one serial killer in Korvosa. He, or she, or they would silently break into a home, kill one person within, leave a dagger that looked like this on or near the victim and leave. Nothing was stolen, and the door locked behind them. The door to the house."

She takes a moment to compose herself. "It was, no, it still is, terrifying. We haven't had a Key Lock murder, we called him, or whatever, the Key Lock Killer, in months. Maybe it was Lamm. Maybe it was someone else and he just stole a dagger as a grisly trophy. Maybe it was a cult, or a group, or something like that. I don't know. I do know I'm getting creepy feelings. Between the ghost, and the King, and the brooch, and this, I'm getting a lot of bad feelings."

A look of alarm crosses her features at the mention of the Key Lock murderer, and she looks over the weapon if allowed.

Knowledge Religion +8 say anything?

Either way she speaks "Those Imps were certainly bold too. If not for the little drakes we'd be dead I think. All of this happening at once does not bode well"


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt begins a practiced and familiar routine for hygiene. It had been some time since he had done more than some cursory ablutions.

"Don't forget crocodiles!"

He banters with Billi as the fighter lists all of the incredible creatures they've seen since they met. The wizard laughs at all the soap bubbles caught in the dwarf's coarse beard as he speaks. He encourages Billi to try some of the oils to help restore the natural luster to his beard hair and demonstrates its application on his own finely trimmed facial hair.

As they reconvene, he lounges in the provided robe of luxurious fabric listening to Sable's discovery with a frown. If he hadn't been so caught up with bringing Graykos home as soon as possible, he might have noticed before.

"Key Lock Killer..." He examines the blade carefully. "Given the state we found him, unless those infirmities are recent, it's hard to believe Lamm would have been capable of such deeds. While he certainly fought us with tenacity, he was a rat cornered and facing his end. Home invasions and ritual slayings would not have the same...desperation to fuel them. I can't imagine someone not being able to overpower that crippled old man whose main weapon was instilling terror in children."

Anything on the blade or hilt that give us some clues? Smith's crest or something?


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Everyone's clothes:
At some point the group will want to get dressed and Perivolt will sheepishly admit, he has made arrangements for their clothes and armor to be cleaned magically. In the meantime, some "casual" clothing has been provided in a range of sizes for the group to wear to their meal while their other clothes and gear are cleaned of blood and grime.

Presumably these loaner clothes are possibly much finer than anything the team has ever worn or owned (except for maybe those who have worn some ceremonial religious garments).


Like all good things, the time in the baths eventually comes to an end. Most weapons, armor, and gear has been discreetly taken for cleaning, polishing, mending or whatever other needs it may have. There is richly appointed causal clothing, including soft slippers left for you to each change into while guest in the manor.

As Perivolt looks keenly at the key-shaped dagger, he does spy a small inscription in the pommel that is hard to see, unless looked for. It reads "For the inspiration of a father" on it, but other than that cryptic phrase there is no maker's mark or other sign of how it was derived.

About the time you make this discovery, a bell rings indicating that lunch is served. Maka, the Shoanti mother of Graykos, arrives again at your door to guide you to the salon where the lunch is served.

There are several finely made wooden chairs pulled up near an opulent table that is set with a lunch of fresh fruit, honeyed breads, and small finger sandwiches. Steaming pots of tea, and a small cask of ale is also set on a sideboard, along with a handful of wine bottles.

Currently, two women and a younger man are seated at lunch but there are seats made for all of you, and for two others. The women both rise when you enter, and one gives Perivolt a warm, welcoming hug. She is apparently his mother, well dressed and coiffed, with a bevy of jewels draping her. She greets you all warmly. "I am Elsa, Perivolt's mother. Welcome to the manor, and thank you for helping Peri with his 'mission'." She says this last in a slightly sarcastic way.

The other woman is tall and razor thin. Her skin is pale, almost translucent and her hair is so blond as to appear white. Her eyes are a startlingly piercing blue, and eyes you over wordlessly, nodding at Perivolt, and then sitting again. "That is Alana, mother of Perivolt's sister, who we expect to come along soon."

"Charmed, I'm sure," is all Alana, the pale woman, says taking a sip of white wine.

"Surprising us all, we are also expecting Perivolt's father, Master Ornelas himself, for lunch. I am sure they will be along soon. Please make yourselves comfortable. Have a seat, and a drink of your choice will be brought for you."

The young man, who did not rise or welcome you when you entered, speaks for the first time in a rather sneering voice. "Honestly, I don't know why Father is even bothering. Its not like Peri rescued the Queen or brought Blackjack to dinner. He found a lost bastard. Big damn deal." The young man appears slightly older than Perivolt and some of the features are similar, but clearly they have different parentage along the way. The fancy dress of this man is clearly intended to impress, and a brooch of sparkling jewels glitters on his cloak. His fingernails are all painted jet-black, and he is wearing dark eye makeup as well. His drink is magically stirring itself while he looks rather bored with life.

Make your introductions as you see fit, and grab a seat at the opulent table.

Sable:
You don't recognize any of the women, though you have seen their kind riding in high carriages through the streets. The youth, however, you do recognize from your time at Eel's End. He is a known gambler, and frequenter of lady favors in the pillowed areas of the sinner's den. Word is that he sometimes behaves in unspeakable ways with the girls, but buys his way out of trouble with Devargo Barvasi, the owner of Eel's End. For now, he does not seem to recognize you.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi bows and smiles at the group. He feels a little out of place, but has had warm feelings until he meets the man with the darker accents.

Seeing the young man using magic, he watches the drink in fascination. He is surprised to see sandwiches so small and is considering how fast he should be eating them. He decides that taking two bites for every one of their host is the limit of his indulgence, and carefully sits down to eat.

He remembered offering to help defend the house, and after seeing all the magic drakes and the probably powerful magic casters in the house, he hoped his offer was not insulting. He sits quietly and takes his social cues from Sable and Lenrelle.

I hope they don't have multiple forks or spoons.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

As a reminder, Sable did not take a bath, and has all her normal stuff, as she would hot give any of it up.

Sable sticks with the tea and a few finger sandwiches. She almost seems to enjoy looking out of place with the others in robes and slippers.

However, when the male decides to insult Perivolt, the bard speaks. "He did more than that. He saved /six/ children, two of which were about to be fed to a crocodile. One of those two was Graykos. Now, given the way you play cards, I don't expect you to understand. You've shown how limited your vision is during all those losing nights at Eel's End. But, you shouldn't judge Perivolt. He's a good man, a brave man, and a real one."

After speaking, she takes a sip from the tea and leans back in her chair. She knows she may have tossed a gauntlet at the man, but she doesn't care. Sable seems to have taken his words about Perivolt and Graykos rather personally.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Talindra is delighted to see the arrangements for food and clothing after having had a transcendental (and genuinely spiritual) experience in the bath. The voice in the back of her mind keeps reminding her that it’s still an ostentatious display of privilege, yet… it’s nice to relax and be pampered after a harrowing experience.

She does her best to ignore the young man’s rudeness, pauses sipping her tea as Sable starts speaking to him. She’s absolutely right, on all counts, but we’re guests here… She quietly, awkwardly, tries to blend into the background sipping her tea. She glances at her other companions, seeking some guidance on how to handle the awkwardness.


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Am I in danger of falling out of this dress??? to her surprise, the corset was NOT choking, as it was properly made and sized, however it's..effects, are rather alarming.
Too late now, as they're escorted to dinner.

Quote:


Currently, two women and a younger man are seated at lunch but there are seats made for all of you, and for two others. The women both rise when you enter, and one gives Perivolt a warm, welcoming hug. She is apparently his mother, well dressed and coiffed, with a bevy of jewels draping her. She greets you all warmly. "I am Elsa, Perivolt's mother. Welcome to the manor, and thank you for helping Peri with his 'mission'." She says this last in a slightly sarcastic way.
The other woman is tall and razor thin. Her skin is pale, almost translucent and her hair is so blond as to appear white. Her eyes are a startlingly piercing blue, and eyes you over wordlessly, nodding at Perivolt, and then sitting again. "That is Alana, mother of Perivolt's sister, who we expect to come along soon."

"Charmed, I'm sure," is all Alana, the pale woman, says taking a sip of white wine.

"I'm Lenrelle Damont, in service to Sarenrae, a pleasure to meet you all. It's a lovely home." She says in what she hopes is a confident yet friendly manner.

THen things go a bit tense. As one fellow is..well, an ass.
Quote:

However, when the male decides to insult Perivolt, the bard speaks. "He did more than that. He saved /six/ children, two of which were about to be fed to a crocodile. One of those two was Graykos. Now, given the way you play cards, I don't expect you to understand. You've shown how limited your vision is during all those losing nights at Eel's End. But, you shouldn't judge Perivolt. He's a good man, a brave man, and a real one."

Honestly, Lenrelle is most offended by the 'Lost Bastard' comment but the fellow is truly obnoxious and it's really tempting not to add something poetic in the vein of 'Yeah!'

Instead, Lenrelle instead tries a gentle and praising approach, "Graykos and the children had been put through so much, and they were so brave. It reflects well on his upbringing the courage such a fine young lad can show. You should all be proud."
Diplomacy Good Impression? 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

She sits when it is time to sit, where it will make Billi feel most comfortable. He's not used to these places.


As Billi sits and tries his best to use polite manners, the thin, pale woman watches him with barely concealed distaste. At least Perivolt's mother, Elsa, tries to be polite about it, smiling and laughing, trying a bit of small talk.

When Lenrelle tries to say something hopeful about how well-mannered Graykos was, neither of the women seem to much care or engage. It's clear that they have no interest in one of the master's low-born bastards. "Yes, well. I am sure it was all very spectacular." says Elsa, with a nod and grin that seems rather strained.

Then Sable throws a gauntlet down, and the table falls silent. The dark-eyed man, whose name is Jeriah, stares at her with an open mouth for a half-second. Then his dark eyes study her, trying to place how she knows about his time at Eel's End. Finally, he wipes his mouth with a fine, linen napkin and says. "I don't know you. I don't know what you are talking about. And I surely think you have me confused with someone else. Perivolt, if you think i am going to sit here and be insulted by some street..."

But his words are cut off abruptly by the sounds of an argument growing closer from down the hall. A woman's voice seems to be making barely heard whispers to a larger man with a bass voice who is loud and not making any attempt at discretion. "I don't care what you want, Redwella! You'll do as I say, when I say, or you can go back to bloody Irrisen for all I care!"

Around the corner comes the pair, apparently the missing daughter, Redwella, and her father, Master Treverl Ornelas He is a large, rotund fellow with a neatly trimmed beard and rings on all his fingers. A slight limp, as of gout perhaps, troubles his walk. The girl is tall and thin, like her mother Alana with the same fair, pale complexion and manner. The young woman runs over to hug Perivolt in an embrace of true familial bond, something you haven't seen much of in this house.

The master stands for a moment while a servant pulls out a chair, then sits, reaching for a plate, so far without comment or introduction.


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

When they enter the dining room set aside for them, Perivolt fumbles as if he had tripped but manages to catch his balance quickly. His eyes are wide and an uncertain smile blooms. He seems to recover quickly, but an air of tension grows around him.

Elsa Ornelos wrote:
...gives Perivolt a warm, welcoming hug. "I am Elsa, Perivolt's mother. Welcome to the manor, and thank you for helping Peri with his 'mission'."

Perivolt returns the hug, perhaps a bit stiffly, saying, "Mother, I was not expecting to see you for this impromptu meal. What a fine surprise."

He turns towards the the other woman with a small bow. "Lady Alana, you do me honor. Thank you for gracing us with your presence."

Elsa Ornelos wrote:
"Surprising us all, we are also expecting Perivolt's father, Master Ornelas himself, for lunch. I am sure they will be along soon. Please make yourselves comfortable. Have a seat, and a drink of your choice will be brought for you."

Perivolt's smile has becomes a tad more sickly. "Ah, Father will be joining us as well? What a treat. I have not had a chance to speak with him in quite a while."

Talindra, Billi, and Lenrelle introduce themselves. Everyone sits and the initial more polite dialogue occurs.

Perivolt sips on his glass of wine and mulls over how to proceed. Addressing his mother Elsa, Perivolt begins "Regarding Father, did he indicate if he's heard from the Acadamae recently..."

Jeriah interrupts Perivolt and remaining more heated dialogues occur.

Jeriah Ornelos wrote:
"Perivolt, if you think i am going to sit here and be insulted by some street...""
DM DoctorEvil wrote:

But his words are cut off abruptly by the sounds of an argument growing closer from down the hall. A woman's voice seems to be making barely heard whispers to a larger man with a bass voice who is loud and not making any attempt at discretion. "I don't care what you want, Redwella! You'll do as I say, when I say, or you can go back to bloody Irrisen for all I care!"

Around the corner comes the pair, apparently the missing daughter, Redwella, and her father, Master Treverl Ornelas He is a large, rotund fellow with a neatly trimmed beard and rings on all his fingers. A slight limp, as of gout perhaps, troubles his walk. The girl is tall and thin, like her mother Alana with the same fair, pale complexion and manner. The young woman runs over to hug Perivolt in an embrace of true familial bond, something you haven't seen much of in this house.

The master stands for a moment while a servant pulls out a chair, then sits, reaching for a plate, so far without comment or introduction.

As Redwella hugs him, Perivolt returns the embrace intensely closing his eyes. The two separate holding each other's forearms while gazing intently at each other's faces. Redwella is slightly taller than Perivolt who is not a particularly tall man to begin with. The barest hint a smile might erupt on the pale beauty's face is present, but the actuality never occurs. Meanwhile, Perivolt's nervous smile has turned into one of genuine happiness. After a short moment of this, the siblings break a part.

"Allow me to introduce my new friends who assisted me in locating the missing Graykos, my dear Redwella. This is Billi Hardstone, master axeman. Here we have Lenrelle Damont of the Dawflower's cloister and Talindra Ravenheart, a rare champion of Shelyn. And not least is Sable Rose, a clever and talented artisan of dance. Everyone, this is Redwella Ornelos, my brilliant sister and a gifted sorceress who makes the family proud."


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi sits down and is quiet and as well-mannered as he can be. Then it seems he can no longer hold his question in. He addresses the lady of the house:
"Please tell me about the house drakes Lady Elsa. How do you control them or do they roam free? I have heard of magic gargoyles and constructs protecting dwarven shrines. Are these in any way similar?"


Redwella Ornelas is the spitting image of her mother, the icy witch Alana from Irrisen. She is tall and achingly thin, with long almost white hair, and skin that seems perhaps a bit translucent. But her smile at the introductions from Perivolt warms the room, the first smile you have seen from a guest at the table. "Any friend of Peri's is a friend of mine," she says, making the same heart-grabbing gesture you saw from Maka. "Thank you for returning Graykos to us. Father may not care about his illegitimate offspring, but I certainly do. He is one of my very favorite, and I thought he was lost forever, especially with this unrest in the city."

"Unrest!" shouts Trevorl, his face turning a dangerously bright red. "Unrest! This is revolution! And should be crushed. Old Eodred is dead, and his foreign-born b+@~%-queen is fomenting revolt right here in Korvosa! I'll be damned if that red-haired vixen will stay on the Crimson Throne long." He downs a goblet of wine quickly and shouts for more, quaffing that as well.

Jeriah pipes in with a quick look at Sable to make sure she won't continue eviscerating him. "Father, the talk at Acadamae is about that goat Eodred, and his secret affairs. Rumor has it he was murdered in his sleep by one of his paramours, a local low-born artist of some repute, it seems." He turns this last on Perivolt with a baleful gaze that the mage has seen more than once before.

The master of the house waves off this statement with an hand fluttering while working on his own goblet. "It seems the Acadame is closing the gates due to the revolution. I have never heard of such outrage. Not sure the Headmaster doesn't send half-a-hundred fireballs at the crowd. That'll stop some nonsense, won't it boy?" He looks at Perivolt with this last.


Billi Hardstone wrote:

Billi sits down and is quiet and as well-mannered as he can be. Then it seems he can no longer hold his question in. He addresses the lady of the house:

"Please tell me about the house drakes Lady Elsa. How do you control them or do they roam free? I have heard of magic gargoyles and constructs protecting dwarven shrines. Are these in any way similar?"

While Trevorl dominates conversation, Billi turns to Else and brings up a polite topic about house drakes. "Oh, yes!" she says sweetly but without smiling. "They are just so dear, aren't they. Too bad they have a religious bent towards Desna, and not Abadar, we might be able to keep one here as a pet, but no chance as is. I read that they were here when the city was founded, and have been ever since. The Shoanti may know something about how they got here, but we aren't really having those kind to tea, are we?" She sips her drink with a smug half-smile.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Talindra returns Redwella's smile and heart-grabbing gesture with the same one she did with Maka, now even more curious to learn more about it. She's still a bit uncertain how to handle the casual mentioning of "illegitimate" offspring--to a Shelynite, love is love, regardless of circumstance. She chooses to be a bit diplomatic and focus on positive things. "I was quite relieved when we saw he was okay! Thank Shelyn for that." Here, she makes a different hand gesture, an elaborate but quick (and thus practiced) gesture Shelynites use to implore their goddess for protection and give thanks.

She goes quiet as Trevorl and Jeriah speak. Certainly not intimidated by the men, but rather she understands the value of not making things difficult for Perivolt. She turns to study his face, seeking some guidance on how to respond. Again she sips her tea and takes a bite--or several--of a sandwich to try to seem polite and give herself a reason to be quiet.

How such a polite, caring man can come from a family like this...


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi grabs his bolas in his beard reflexively, then returns to eating with a smile.
No, they wouldn’t fit in here.


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt beams at Redwella and Talindra's exchange. Then he grimaces slightly as his father speaks his mind while clearly influenced by the grape. Perivolt's certain the glasses Trevorl's had at dinner are not the first so far today.

Trevorl Ornelos wrote:

"It seems the Acadame is closing the gates due to the revolution. I have never heard of such outrage. Not sure the Headmaster doesn't send half-a-hundred fireballs at the crowd. That'll stop some nonsense, won't it boy?"

"Ah, well, this is certainly a first for many things in Korvosa, I'd imagine. Allowing the disgruntled masses access to the stores of magical knowledge and artifacts in the Academae would likely be quite devastating for the Crown and Peerage, so perhaps Great-Grandfather is right to lock the grounds up tight. As for fireballs, I'm certain things won't come to that, but, hypothetically, I agree half-a-hundred fireballs would indeed stop some nonsense."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)
Quote:
Redwella Ornelas is the spitting image of her mother, the icy witch Alana from Irrisen. She is tall and achingly thin, with long almost white hair, and skin that seems perhaps a bit translucent. But her smile at the introductions from Perivolt warms the room, the first smile you have seen from a guest at the table. "Any friend of Peri's is a friend of mine," she says, making the same heart-grabbing gesture you saw from Maka. "Thank you for returning Graykos to us. Father may not care about his illegitimate offspring, but I certainly do. He is one of my very favorite, and I thought he was lost forever, especially with this unrest in the city."

Glad to see at least one other cares for the boy, Lenrelle nods in agreement with Talindra.

But of course, the others of this family must have their own outbursts and opinions and so many of them unpleasant.
"Mayhaps," She dares attempting some kindness considered to all this talk of FIREBALLING folks "Some of the rioters have been mislead by those with agendas? I'm no intriguer, but their greatest crime might be being used."


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt internally winces as Lenrelle offers a rational, well-thought out statement countering his father's unfounded conspiratorial point of view rather than the carefully worded response he provided to placate the arrogant nobleman.

Oh, my dear lady. Voice not your reason and intellect within this room. The ears upon which your words fall are deaf to all those which are not their own.

He tries to catch Lenrelle's eye and make the barest shake of his head.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi does offer a single statement:
"Dwarves would not behave this way."
And he returns to eating his meal with an occasional glance at the lady of the house.


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)
Perivolt Ornelos wrote:

Perivolt internally winces as Lenrelle offers a rational, well-thought out statement countering his father's unfounded conspiratorial point of view rather than the carefully worded response he provided to placate the arrogant nobleman.

Oh, my dear lady. Voice not your reason and intellect within this room. The ears upon which your words fall are deaf to all those which are not their own.

He tries to catch Lenrelle's eye and make the barest shake of his head.

Lenrelle sees the look, but at this point all she can do an elegant shrug and speak no further.She does look slightly apologetic. She does not mean to cause him trouble or heartache.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

There are so many things that Sable wants to say, and her emotions are clear on her face with outrage and disgust leading them.

Finally, she does speak, and to Perivolt's father of all people.

"I don't think it's the Queen that's fomenting anything at all. The people rioting think that she killed the King. They oppose her the same as you do. You'd know this if you got out of your ivory tower and talked to the people and led like a noble is supposed to. But, you're not out there leading, are you? None of you are. Peri's the only one of you acting like a noble at all. Excuse me."

With that, Sable rises, fully intending to leave the house and the estate and wait for the others outside on the street.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi said three words ”Thanks for dinner.”, bowed, and followed Sable.


Master Ornelas nods as Perivolt agrees with him, and opens his mouth to say something else when first Lenrelle and then Sable disagree, Sable to the point of rising from her seat and leaving.

Redwella, the half-sister of Perivolt, applauds out loud, earning a scathing look of rebuke from her own icy mother. Peri's mom says, [b}"Well, I never!"[/b] and clutches her pearls in alarm and mortification.

Trevorl, for his part, sneers and downs another goblet of red wine. "Some nice friends you have, boy. Might as well go after them to make sure they don't pocket the silver on the way out." He then rises, and stumble walks out of the great hall the other direction. The ladies follow soon thereafter, with Jeriah not far behind.

Redwella stays for a moment longer, reaching for a sandwich. "Quite a production staged on the Ornelas stage once again, Brother of mine. I am glad you are safe, and with Graykos, and your friends seem....interesting. Let me know if you need my help in here, or out there." She motions her head towards the outside world, pecks her younger brother on the cheek, and takes the plate of uneaten lunch towards the servants' quarters in the rear of the house.

That was....interesting. It seems you are leaving the manor. What's next on the agenda, if anything.


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

"Lovely house" Lenrelle says rising promptly to join her friends who are departing, "Delicious food." She doesn't necessarily agree with Sable fully, but she can't argue that Peri seems the... let's say BEST of his family.

Quote:
Trevorl, for his part, sneers and downs another goblet of red wine. "Some nice friends you have, boy. Might as well go after them to make sure they don't pocket the silver on the way out." He then rises, and stumble walks out of the great hall the other direction. The ladies follow soon thereafter, with Jeriah not far behind

THAT stiffens her back, "Says the man who advocated lobbing fireballs among crowds that possibly have children among them." Her jaw sets and she is tempted to say more but the fellow is withdrawing.

Quote:
Redwella stays for a moment longer, reaching for a sandwich. "Quite a production staged on the Ornelas stage once again, Brother of mine. I am glad you are safe, and with Graykos, and your friends seem....interesting. Let me know if you need my help in here, or out there." She motions her head towards the outside world, pecks her younger brother on the cheek, and takes the plate of uneaten lunch towards the servants' quarters in the rear of the house.

"Now you? It was nice to meet you." And she follows after the others

"I need to change out of this dress before we go. I won't be accused of STEALING it."


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

The wizard sighs and says goodbye to Redwella on her way out. Perivolt leads everyone back to his room to gather their things and change into their clothes which are clean and pressed, armor and equipment free of blood or grime which may have lingered.

"Sorry about them them..." he says sheepishly. "I wasn't expecting company. I asked the servants to keep my arrival quiet, but seems someone let something slip."

He sighs and rubs his head. "Not all Ornelos are like that...but as I'm sure you've heard the Korvosan saying, 'A child looks into a mirror and sees themself. An Ornelos looks into a mirror and sees their whole world.' It's really not too far off for most of them."

Disparaging opinion of the noble family implying they are narcissistic and shortsighted.

"Well, on to more important things then. I'll come back to visit Redwella & Graykos another day when the city's calmed down."

It feels like it's been so long, but I seem to recall we had quite the grocery list?


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

Sable can't help but say "Mayhe I should pocket some of the silver." But, she doesn't actually do that.

Billi wanted to go shopping, if anything is open, as I recall.

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Sitting quietly, her gaze alternating between her hands folded on her lap and her teacup, Talindra finds herself in tension. While there's no weapons drawn, no threat of physical danger, nevertheless she finds the situation harder to navigate than a battlefield. Even the encounter with the imps earlier in the day seemed easier than this quagmire of faux politeness and propriety. She was desperate not to upset Perivolt or her friends, but also wanted to please her gracious--if ill-mannered--hosts.

Times like these she would turn to Elora and seek guidance. She'd take Elora's hand and she'd remind Talindra that it's going to be okay. She'd remind her to breathe. She'd help her focus on the tangible things in her environment to ground herself. Yet in this lavishly appointed estate, she was alone. Her thoughts spiraled: she was alone, navigating the streets of Korvosa, still numb from the news that Elora had been taken; she was in the temple in Korvosa, stumbling over words and finding her voice evading her; she was in a river, her life flashing before her eyes in a fight with a shark. Anxiety taking hold, she stood up and realized that others had already left.

"I'm--I'm sorry." That's all she manages to say as she heads to a changing room. She finds her things, escapes from the ostentatious finery that suddenly feels terribly itchy and ill-fitting, and escapes from the building as quickly as she can. Her breathing is heavy, her hair's a mess, and her eyes dart around randomly. In a few minutes it's as if nothing happened.


When you return (except Sable) to Perivolt's chamber, you find that Maka has left all your clean, shiny, and polished things in neat piles on a dressing table in the room. It's not hard to get back in your gear, and most of that time passes wordlessly as you all reflect on the luncheon discussion.

Soon, enough Perivolt has led you back outside. Only Graykos is the door to say farewell to Perivolt and the others. "Save them," is all the youth says, "Save them all, if you can." What exactly he means is left with you.

Let me know your next steps. You have some gear to sell, some magic items to do some re-arranging with potentially. You also still have this imp/house drake brooch that might belong to the Queen? But like many things in the AP, the choices are broad and up to you.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi left the manor house with a note of sadness, the baths were a welcome refreshment. The food was of high quality, better than the tavern fare he had eaten. The company, well not so nice.

After discussing with the group, they prepared to convert some of their treasure to cash or better gear. As a warrior, upgrading his armor then his weapon were priorities one and two. He had heard Sable mentioning visiting someone to learn some of the trade of their former party member. Opening the locked door had helped them get into the fishery and get the jump on Lamm's crew.

Billi had talked to some of the warriors that were recovering addicts. Getting a pet was often recommended to help cope. He attempted to coax the local drakes to be his friend.
Billi was going to see if he could find full plate and move the dagger rune onto his axe.


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt hugs his brother close and kisses his little head. "I will. Be sure of it," he whispers to reassure the boy not quite sure to what he is committing himself and perhaps his friends. "And let your mother know, I will seek out Thousand Bones just like she asked."

Perivolt gathers his things and prepares to accompany Billi on his shopping excursions.

"'Save them,' he said. To whom do you think my brother referred?" he muses out loud.


There is the magic shop, near the Ornelas estate known as the Gilded Orrery, or there are other places for shopping in other parts of Korvosa, including Eodred's Walk, which is like an open air bazaar with many shops and dealers. Or you can try someplace else, as you see fit.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

Sable waits for the others. She's still fuming, pacing along the sidewalk while the group changes and comes out. When Perivolt muses, she offers her opinion.

"Six kids and five goons aren't much of a gang for a successful, albeit small-time, gang lord like Lamm. There are likely more thugs and more kids that we did not run into. That's just a guess though."


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi nods to Sable, he can't think of anything clever to add.

Then he mentions "If we can sell the bulk of our goods we don't need first, we can plan what we will buy better."


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)

Lenrelle stays near Talindra, trying to offer comfort by proximity.

Quote:
"'Save them,' he said. To whom do you think my brother referred?" he muses out loud.

"Given all the city is shook, any number of people may need saving. I suppose when it comes to 'who do we save' the answer must always be 'whoever we can' with a realization we are only mortal."


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Perivolt eyes refocus as Lenrelle and Sable weigh in grounding him with metaphysical and realistic answers respectively.

He smiles at Lenrelle. "You're a credit to your cloister, Madam Cleric. I can only imagine there's a stern nun with a quick ruler somewhere who would be pleased to hear your words and know their instruction successful."

He nods at Sable. "Yes, that is more my thoughts as well. Graykos would certainly be concerned for any of the Lambs who scattered before the chaos ensued. Once we have settled our shopping needs to be better prepared for the dangers we are now facing, I believe we should investigate." He strokes his well trimmed beard. "I also have a personal task to meet with Maka's father Thousand Bones. I will need to see about that as well, but that may be something I do separately once our business together has concluded."

Perivolt looks around at everyone. "I-I thank you again for helping to escort my brother home after all this time. I had nearly lost ho—" He chokes up slightly then clears his throat, the corner of his eye looks watery. "It is such a joyous day for me despite the times in the city. I know we no longer have any need to stick together, but I would be honored to assist any of you with anything you need to set right or task with which you feel burdened to see through to the end in the days ahead."

He blinks the almost-tears away and smiles broadly at everyone.


Feel free to discuss and roleplay, but the control of the action is yours now. Let me know when you have a direction. Typically, in my games, as long as two characters agree, then that's consensus.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

Sable leans against a wall while we talk.

"I'd say that we have every reason to stick together. No offense, Perivolt, but if your family is typical for nobility, then nothing is being done to prevent last night from becoming tonight. I'd rather be around people I can trust while riots are going on. We also have the mystery of that very expensive shiny Lamm was in possession of."

I'd say that shopping is the consensus. It might be easiest to say "You sell the items no one wanted, you each have X gold after paying for the runes to be moved from dagger and hand crossbow to Billi's axe and Talindra's glaive." Then we take a day or two to see what we buy, if anything, and move the stony on.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi would take the poor manacles, as putting people in custody could be important. The last three, two potions and the key dagger, I would not sell. The rest we could convert to gold. Then question for Billi becomes does he have the 27gp to trade in his personal chain for plate armor or can he owe the party loot as some of my groups do.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Taking several breaths and focusing on what she can feel, what she can hear, what she can see, and what she can smell (that last one more pleasant than in other parts of the city, to be sure), Talindra also leans against the building, though for quite a different reason than Sable.

So many things to do, so many candles... Gotta be strong. She straightens herself and stands on her own two feet unaided by the wall. "I think dealing with the dagger-calling card would be best once things calm down... if they calm down. Attracting that kind of attention to ourselves when the city is in a shambles seems unwise. Normally I'd want to resolve this immediately, but, well, we're not in Absalom and I'm getting the distinct impression that we can't trust the guard." You're forgetting something... She furrows her brow, stares off into the clouds to observe the skyline... then sees the remnants of last night and remembers not only is she a long way from home, but also this city is in trouble. With a sigh she tries to hide as a calming breath, she straightens herself more and nods to Sable. "Yes, yes, of course, sticking together seems like the best idea regardless. I'm still not happy that you went off on your own. I understand why, but still..." She shakes her head, more to herself in an attempt to dismiss some thought.

She clears her throat. "I would suggest selling what we don't need so we have some coin and can operate in the city. Normally I'd apply to my temple for aid, but they're certainly too busy helping others less fortunate than us. If I recall--" here, lowering her voice so the whole city doesn't hear"--we've got a number of pieces of jewelry, some arms and armor, and some sundries. I suggest--for the sake of our backs as we trek through the city--that we sell the heavier items first."

It looks like if we sell a few bits of jewelry that we'll have enough for your plate, Billi. Would love to join you in the plate club but alas, Talindra is a paladinchampion and champions are a bit MAD still, even in 2E.


Female Human Cleric (Cloistered) - 3 (HP 35/35) (Hero Point Spent) (Hero P gained)
Quote:
He smiles at Lenrelle. "You're a credit to your cloister, Madam Cleric. I can only imagine there's a stern nun with a quick ruler somewhere who would be pleased to hear your words and know their instruction successful."

"Cute." She indugles him, "No my fingers were never smacked for instruction. We're not savages." A beat "There may have been some chamberpot duties for the particularly truculent."

At the idea of staying together, she nods "Absolutely we should stay together."


Billi Hardstone wrote:
Billi would take the poor manacles, as putting people in custody could be important. The last three, two potions and the key dagger, I would not sell. The rest we could convert to gold. Then question for Billi becomes does he have the 27gp to trade in his personal chain for plate armor or can he owe the party loot as some of my groups do.

I move the manacles to Billi's pile. I will hold onto the potions and the dagger as you suggest. Anything else you wish to NOT sell from the first page of the Loot Tracker? We don't have to role-play the shopping if you wish. But need to know what is sold, claimed or kept. If someone confirms, I will make it all go away.


Female Human Bard (Maestro) 3

I don't see anything, barring the potions and dagger, that we might keep. Unless Talindra wants the Holy Symbol of Shelyn.

Radiant Oath

NG female (she/her) Whisper Elf Champion 3 HP 29/45 | AC 19 | F +10 R +5 W +8 | Perc +6 | Glaive +9 1d8 +3 S | Spell Atk +7 DC 14 Spd 30 | Focus 0/1 | Active Conditions: Grabbed, constricted | Hero Points: 1

Oh, Talindra thinks the holy symbol is absolutely beautiful, but she recognizes that it's in the group's best interest to sell it--and that belief is particularly reinforced after the oh so pleasant experience at the Ornelos estate.


22/22 HP | 1/1 FP

Posting my thoughts in Discussion to prevent Gameplay clutter. Yes, I know this post is ironic, but it's more to encourage you all to do the same. :P


After leaving the fabulous Ornelas estate behind, the party travels down the hill from the Heights and back into Midland where a neighborhood called The Slope (because of the topography here, sloping down to the river) holds Eodred's Walk, which is an outdoor bazaar of fourteen shops arranged in semi-circular fashion. Many goods and services are available here including: maps and books, harrow readings, tack and barding, jewelry, haberdashery, fishing supplies and bait, haircuts and grooming, weapons and armor, smoked or dried foods, clocks and clockwork trinkets, trapping, hunting and outdoors supplies, and alcohol and spirits, among other things.

It is easy enough to unload the art items, weapons, and other treasures rescued from Lamm's hideout and turn it into liquidity. There are many items that catch your fancy, but whether you give into those temptations is more up to you.

Native Korvosans know this bazaar is usually bustling with side vendors, food hawkers, ne'er do wells, and others but today the mood is somber and quiet and many would-be customers must have just decided to stay at home.


Dwarf Fighter 3 HP 49/49 | Harrow 0/1 | AC 21 (23 with shield raised) | F +10 R +7 W +9 | +2 Init/Perc +9 | Axe +11 1d8 +4 S | Spd 20 | Active Conditions: None Exploration: Search 7gp owed Sable

Billi, after getting the confirmation and recommendation from Sable to get the main party weapons upgraded, he prioritized finding a craftsman capable of moving magic runes to his battle axe and Talindra's glaive. He trusts Sable to perform the negotiations.

Billi then tries to see if he can borrow the gold he needs for upgrading his armor to heavy plate. He will offer his clan dagger for collateral if he needs to, as that is the most precious thing he can think of.

Billi is short (27-23.86-cost to move rune) gold pieces.

701 to 750 of 948 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne for PF2 ed - by DM Doctor Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.