GM Doug's Fanciful March of Urwal (Gameday X) (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

Maps | Macros


1 to 50 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

With one of its masked leaders missing, the Pathfinder Society continues a desperate search of the forests in northern Iobaria. Urwal, leader of the Verdant Wheel faction, approaches a group of Pathfinders to assist him in travelling through the forest at the behest of some unknown force that beckons to him through dreams and visions. The end of this fanciful march could reveal where the Society's leader has gone, but it could also lead the Pathfinder Society to uncovering more of the mysteries of distant Iobaria.

The Fanciful March of Urwal is a tier 3-6 scenario written by Hilary Moon Murphy.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

We begin!

Months ago, you received a cryptic missive from Urwal of the Verdant Wheel:

Urwhal’s Missive wrote:

Allies in our Society!

The stars have aligned to show me that a momentous journey lies ahead of me, but it is one that requires strong allies. As the stars move, I see the constellations of the Wanderer approaching the Wagon, which surely means they will ride together for a half-turning of the moon. The Finadar Forest speaks to me, showing me these patterns and calling me to witness something of great import. However, the malign planet of Aucturn is ascendant, and with it rises my own unease.

Come to the Pathfinder basecamp in Iobaria by the Cyclops city of Min-Khadaim. We shall venture out into the Finadar Forest together and discover the source of the portents I see in the stars.

-Urwal of the Verdant Wheel

Region map on slide 1 and missive on slide 2.

☾ ☾ ☾

Today you’re finally at the camp, which is a sprawl of tents and wooden buildings that overlook a forest of red pines. Sounds of hammers and saws echo from afar, as construction crews of Pathfinders and centaurs raise buildings for classrooms and a makeshift infirmary. Veterans bearing coffee and breakfast greet new arrivals, eager to swap stories and add the newcomers to their exhausting work details.

You’ve been gathered with fellow Pathfinders who also bear missives from the Iruxi mystic — ones who, like you, just arrived today. The stars align indeed!

You've been directed to meet someone named "Blackberry" for your mission. Together, you make your way through the camp…

Now is the time for character intros! Please introduce yourself. Some prompts include what you think about Urwhal’s letter or the mystic himself, or any connections you have to the region or overall mission here. We will move on to the mission briefing once everyone has posted an intro.

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

You see a curious plant cultivated as some sort of living sculpture growing through a small suit of splint mail to resemble some warrior. A carved pumpkin head bears an ominous grin. Or at least it would have seemed so if it were not for the fact that it both walks and talks.

When he speaks his voice is a cacophony of sound. A rumbling bass like the earth shaking and simultaneously the high pitch screeching of fingernails on slate.

"Hello Leshys! It will be nice to visit home again. But tell me, where are you from?"

"I come from the Finadar Forest and am happy to return. Maybe I will see some of my leshy friends again and invite some more of them to come back with us. Wouldn't that be wonderful?"


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros
~Squash~ wrote:
Maybe I will see some of my leshy friends again…

The Pathfinder leading you through the camp smiles knowingly. It seems you will soon be meeting at least one leshy…

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

James walks in Urrggh. Oh, wait, I ain't fighting that giant anymore. Sorry, that battle is still going through my head. So, if we are going into Finadar forest, does thing mean I get to chop down lots of trees?

Horizon Hunters

NG Male Dwarf (Death-Warden) Scout Ranger 7 | HP 108/108 | AC: 25 | F +14 R +15 W +14; 5 Fire Resistance, 1 Negative Resistance | Perc +17 | 35 feet | Class DC 22 |1 Hero point|Exploration Activity: Scout (+17; +2 to allies' init) | Active Conditions: None

A burly dawrf of some years with auburn hair and a beard that has started to speckle grey to the point it almost looks like it's salt encrusted stomps into town. He takes a cup of coffee with a nod and starts sipping at it as he looks for a place to set his heavy pack bearing a pleothra of weapons down. Finding a good spot to rest for a moment and get the pace of the place, he finishes his coffee and makes sure the various weapons hanging from his belt are in good condition after the journey here.

First is the dwarven war axe, certainly at least a century old, if not older, he polishes the blade for a moment, making the nearly compeletly faded carvings on the flat of the blade shine. He checks the near 80 year old warhammer next, making sure it didn't get scraped or scratched on the trip. Next the newest trident gets a check over, before he finally pulls his clan dagger from its sheathe and verifies that nothing has happened to the thing.

Having rested his feet for a moment he stands and streches, adjusting the nearly brand new chainmail armor, before seeking something to do. His eyes light up as he spots a familiar pumpkin, and he jogs over to him, clinking lightly. He picks the leshy up in a hug and squeze before setting him down. His deeper voice, raised in the rare outburst of dwarven excitement, his words obscured by a heavy sailor's accent. "Squash! Been for'er an' a night! Good ta see ya, little one. What ya been up ta?"

Setting Squash down he looks over at the other leshies "New friends? 'hy dontcha introduce us? Ya'll 'ere for Urwal? Know de stars important. But for navigatin' places, not tellin' de future! Feel like dis'll be a farce."

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

"Why would you chop down perfectly good trees... Uh, hmm. Who are you again? This leshy over here is Ionic. We've journeyed together before."

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Perfectly good trees make perfect wooden bridges and perfect log cabins.

Envoy's Alliance

| HP 12/33 | AC 16; w/shield 17 | Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +11 | Perception: +9; Low-light vision | Divine Font 2/4 | Focus Point 1/1 | Hero Point 1/3 | CG Female Half-Elf (Kelishite) (Entertainer) Cleric of Calistria Lvl 3

Traveling with you is a half-elven woman in her early-twenties, probably more at home wearing expensive clothing at one of Zarta Dralneen's affairs, but is currently clad in sturdy explorer's clothing. At the hollow of her throat is a silver holy symbol tied with a black leather cord like a choker. Despite a delicate profile, she doesn't seem to have too much trouble with her pack during the long march to get here, her smile just as dazzling as the day we first met.

"Elixia Zielle of the savored sting, at your service." That last word emphasized just enough to be enticing. She looks at her fellow Pathfinder agents and then around the camp. "I'm sure someone will explain why we've come all the way out here sooner or later, yes? As long as the mission is more exciting than the trek, it'll be worth it."

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

The mission is always more exciting than the trek. Sometimes even the trek is exciting, cause you get to save a bunch of innocents in distress, or prevent a rockslide from crushing a town, that is when you felt like you did something.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

GM Screen:

Ionic's Nature (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
James T Crusher's Nature (T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Squash's Nature (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Ionic's Occultism (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Ionic thinks about the letter as you move through the camp and debate the usage of lumber; he shares what he knows. The Wanderer is the planet of Triaxus, a planet with an irregular orbit that takes 317 years to complete. The Wagon is one of the constellations of the Cosmic Caravan and is said to carry the other stars across the sky. The conjunction of the two is a rare event, and an excellent omen for a journey of discovery. The planet Aucturn is associated with foul magic and illusion.

Squash also shares his local knowledge about the area. Iobaria is home to a rare species of highly flammable conifer pine known as bruorsivi, also known as blood pine. The forest had always been prone to brief, intense fires that burned out naturally or were contained by elf druids and centaur sages. Recently, a massive fire swept through the Finadar Forest when a group of goblins living in the skeletal remains of an old draconic graveyard triggered an incomplete cyclopean ritual. Those who have seen the graveyard have marveled at how many generations of dragons must have lain buried there.

✹ ✹ ✹

Elixia Zielle wrote:
"I'm sure someone will explain why we've come all the way out here sooner or later, yes? As long as the mission is more exciting than the trek, it'll be worth it."

As if summoned by Elixia's words, a stocky leshy clad in pinecone armor and a jaunty eyepatch emerges from the crowd. He clutches a clipboard and puffs out his chest.

“I am Blackberry, the esteemed commander of the training course! My friend Urwal requested we construct a special obstacle challenge to test the newcomers’ mettle, and you will be among the first groups honored to complete it! Get through if you want to find Urwal.” Blackberry gestures into the woods, but all that is visible from this point are Iobaria’s iconic blood-red bruorsivi pine trees.

As if on cue, a group of bedraggled and dejected-looking Pathfinders, all spattered and dripping a thick purple liquid that looks suspiciously like jam, emerge from the forest from the direction that Blackberry is pointing.

“Ahhh, perfect! The previous group just finished with the latest obstacle course!” Blackberry looks pleased. “You can proceed forward without any delays! … I really hope that you put on a better performance than the last few groups.”

You have a few moments to ask any questions before entering the course. Art for Blackberry on Slide 1.

Horizon Hunters

NG Male Dwarf (Death-Warden) Scout Ranger 7 | HP 108/108 | AC: 25 | F +14 R +15 W +14; 5 Fire Resistance, 1 Negative Resistance | Perc +17 | 35 feet | Class DC 22 |1 Hero point|Exploration Activity: Scout (+17; +2 to allies' init) | Active Conditions: None

Ionic, despite open grumblings about the baselessness of using stars for predictions and omens, does provide context for what the celestial bodies that Urwal talked about in his letter mean.

The dwarf tromps up to Blackberry and extends a hand. "Ionic Saltbeard. Pleasure." He looks at the other group and back at the leshy, asking, "Blackberry jam? Have a hand in makin' dis? What we facin'?"

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

"Hey, that's a spiffy patch there Blackberry! You should try some of the armor the humanoids make. Especially the dwarves. They make some of the best. It doesn't fall apart on you after getting wet."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros
Ionic Saltbeard wrote:
Have a hand in makin' dis? What we facin'?"

Blackberry turns to the course with pride. “Oh, it’s simply the best obstacle course we have ever made! I can't tell you what's in it — that would ruin the fun! But I can tell you that it's designed to measure how well you can protect your fellow Pathfinders and work as a team!”

Will move you on to the course in a little bit.

He turns to squash. Yes, but the pinecone armor is so comfortable — when it's wet, it just gets nice and squishy, like a pillow!

Envoy's Alliance

| HP 12/33 | AC 16; w/shield 17 | Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +11 | Perception: +9; Low-light vision | Divine Font 2/4 | Focus Point 1/1 | Hero Point 1/3 | CG Female Half-Elf (Kelishite) (Entertainer) Cleric of Calistria Lvl 3

Elixia giggles a little bit while mainly just observing for now. "Blackberry, showing up like you were our own personal assistant. How nice of you to help!"

She mainly just listens and looks ahead, hoping she doesn't slow the group down too much.

GM would you be okay if I changed one of my prepared spells? It occurs to me that "shield other" doesn't make much sense when my hp is less than half of anyone else here :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Yes, that's fine to swap a spell based on the briefing and party context.

I never thought of it as "personal assistant," I just want to help since the Pathfidners saved my soul and the land I love.

--

Blackberry leads you on a small hike through the forest before coming to a clearing, where a pair of centaur construction workers sit on the sidelines, drinking refreshments.

“Another group! I am Tombu,” a loud centaur proclaims. “Remember, we drink every time they get one to the face!” They seem very tipsy.

Meanwhile, leshys in purple bandanas grab pies from a nearby table and walk to clearly-marked obstacle checkpoints. Blackberry points to a plump, pumpkin-headed leshy who is tying an orange bandana around his eyes. “Your job, Pathfinders, is to escort Jackpot here through the obstacle course and help him keep heading in the general direction he chooses, without letting him take harm. You may steer him around hazards, but you must let him keep moving. Every time you fail, you get–” the tipsy centaurs cut him off, shouting in unison:

— PIE TO THE FACE!”

Yes… that.

✹ ✹ ✹

Obstacle Course Rules
This is in theater of the mind. There are several obstacles that I will describe as you move along. To successfully bypass an obstacle, the PCs must earn at least half as many Obstacle Points against it as there are PCs in a group (in this case, 2).

Each PC can attempt one DC 16 check to overcome each obstacle.
- Critical Success The PC earns 2 Obstacle Points.
- Success The PC earns 1 Obstacle Point.
- Failure The PC earns no Obstacle Points.
- Critical Failure The PC loses 1 Obstacle Point.

Art for Jackpot on slide 1.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

As Blackberry finishes his instructions, the exuberant Jackpot takes off running blindly forward. No time for questions or preparation! He moves towards a huge 20-foot wide pit — there is no way around the pit without leaving the obstacle course and being disqualified.

Jackpot prattles on as he waddles forward, a little slowly thanks to the blindfold but still faster than you might want. Wow, I'm sure everything is totally fine and safe! There's surely not a PIT OF DOOM ahead! Here I go! La la la la la…

✹ ✹ ✹

The Pit of Doom!

This is supposed to be free-form. Come up with your own solution. As examples, you can help him climb in and out with a successful Athletics check, swing him across with a successful Acrobatics check, or improvise a bridge with a successful Crafting check. Before you ask, Jackpot would prefer not being thrown; he should stay on his own path — albeit guided.

Elixia
Ionic
James T Crusher
Squash

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

"Come on Jackpot. You can hang onto me and we will climb to the other side."

Athletics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19

As they reach part way across Squash realizes that carrying someone the same size as he is is more tiring that he'd considered before trying this. He waits for someone to take him the rest of the way across.

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

We are in the forest, so James will take the largest stable tree branch he can find, more like a whole tree arm, even if he has to chop one arm down and pole vault over the pit athletics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29
Jackpot can even hold onto me as I do it.

Envoy's Alliance

| HP 12/33 | AC 16; w/shield 17 | Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +11 | Perception: +9; Low-light vision | Divine Font 2/4 | Focus Point 1/1 | Hero Point 1/3 | CG Female Half-Elf (Kelishite) (Entertainer) Cleric of Calistria Lvl 3

Done and thank you!

Elixia looks at the situation and sighs, not seeing any good ways for her to help on this one...so she'll try to walk behind Jackpot and give the cute little leshy *very* clear directions on where to put his feet and arms, especially when climbing on to Squash and anyone else who tries to help directly!

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

I really can't think of anything else for this! Elixia is a lover not a fighter...or acrobat!

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Good advice Elixia. Hey it worked though, unless the DM treats this as aid another which is dc 20

Horizon Hunters

NG Male Dwarf (Death-Warden) Scout Ranger 7 | HP 108/108 | AC: 25 | F +14 R +15 W +14; 5 Fire Resistance, 1 Negative Resistance | Perc +17 | 35 feet | Class DC 22 |1 Hero point|Exploration Activity: Scout (+17; +2 to allies' init) | Active Conditions: None

Ionic just jumps into the waters at the bottom of the pit and waits for Squash to bring Jackpot down the first side, and then tries to swim him over.
Atheletics, Expert: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
It doesn't take long to get Jackpot to the other side while doing a lazy backstroke and keeping the leshy above the water. He hands him off to James on the other side.

"Seems bit easy."

He climbs up out of the pit and takes a moment to shake and pat his well oiled chainmail dry just in case it decides to start rusting. Need ta reoil tonight..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Ionic finds not waters at the bottom... but fluffy pillows. What an interesting place to swim,

Success! Together, with tree-branch, backstroke, diplomacy, and leshy muscle you transport Jackpot to the other side. I will move you on in the the morning.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Jackpot waddles over to a field of shrubs coated in sticky wet jam. That was easy! I didn't even notice a pit! Well I'm SURE there isn't a field of POISONOUS plants ahead. I'll just STUMBLE along and everything will be FINE! Here I goooooo! La la la!

You must try to navigate Jackpot through the field without getting any "poisonous" jam on the leshy!

✹ ✹ ✹

The Shrubbery of Doom!

Free-form. As above. Examples include navigating Jackpot with a successful Acrobatics, Nature or Survival check, or they actively cut or remove shrubs to make a path (The bushes have a little Hardness, HP, and a low AC).

Elixia
Ionic
James T Crusher
Squash

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

"Come on Jackpot, these shrubs are practically our cousins. Just follow me and they won't hurt us."

Nature (Assurance): 10 + 9 = 19


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

The Shrubbery of Doom!

Free-form. As above. Examples include navigating Jackpot with a successful Acrobatics, Nature or Survival check, or they actively cut or remove shrubs to make a path (The bushes have a little Hardness, HP, and a low AC).

Elixia
Ionic
James T Crusher

Squash 1 success

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

James will rage and attack the bushes with his Guisarme. hit: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30 to hit dmg: 2d10 + 11 ⇒ (10, 8) + 11 = 29 slashing damage


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

James, destroyer of jam, demolishes a path straight through the rest of the bushes! Preserves fly out into the forest. Crit.

Jackpot waddles along with ease. Uhh. Were there even ANY bushes here at all!? With 2 successes I see no reason not to move on, but let's put the remaining 2 PCs up next on the obstacle so everyone has a chance to make a check.

The final obstacle is a river, 20 feet wide and six feet deep, that flows through the end of the obstacle course. The water gurgles.

HAHAHA. I CAN'T SWIM!

✹ ✹ ✹

The River of Doom!

Free-style! Examples include Athletics check to Swim, create a floatation device with a successful Crafting or Survival check, or walk with him on their shoulders while holding their breath with a successful DC 16 Fortitude save

Elixia
Ionic

James T Crusher
Squash 1 success

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Yeah, me crush bushes. Also because I did rage, I cannot voluntarily end the rage. Does a minute or more pass between each obstacle, or does literally a round pass between each one? Makes a difference as to whether or not I'm raging.

Horizon Hunters

NG Male Dwarf (Death-Warden) Scout Ranger 7 | HP 108/108 | AC: 25 | F +14 R +15 W +14; 5 Fire Resistance, 1 Negative Resistance | Perc +17 | 35 feet | Class DC 22 |1 Hero point|Exploration Activity: Scout (+17; +2 to allies' init) | Active Conditions: None

Ionic, having warmed up with the pillows, is more than ready to swim the small leshy across with a backstroke that provides a nice stable and mostly dry platform for Blackberry to cross. He shimmies out of his chain mail shirt, and lobs it across the river followed by his pack and weapons bundled into his shirt. "Stay still for a sec, Blackberry! Get ya across. 'old on tight!"

Athletics to Swim! This time with Actual Water!™: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Where did you take Swimming lessons, Ionic, that was excellent.

Envoy's Alliance

| HP 12/33 | AC 16; w/shield 17 | Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +11 | Perception: +9; Low-light vision | Divine Font 2/4 | Focus Point 1/1 | Hero Point 1/3 | CG Female Half-Elf (Kelishite) (Entertainer) Cleric of Calistria Lvl 3

Elixia sighs, feeling more of an anchor than a buoy in this whole obstacle course. She'll look at her clothes and sigh again before jumping in the water and holding her breath to try and lift up Blackberry from underneath while Ionic covers the propulsion.

Fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Horizon Hunters

NG Male Dwarf (Death-Warden) Scout Ranger 7 | HP 108/108 | AC: 25 | F +14 R +15 W +14; 5 Fire Resistance, 1 Negative Resistance | Perc +17 | 35 feet | Class DC 22 |1 Hero point|Exploration Activity: Scout (+17; +2 to allies' init) | Active Conditions: None
James T Crusher wrote:
Where did you take Swimming lessons, Ionic, that was excellent.

"Piratin' ov'r a 'undred years'll teach ya ta swim... If it don' kill ya!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Jackpot is dry and on the farther riverbank with the tandem aquatics prowess of Ionic and Elixia.

Wow! You all are the best! My spine isn't snapped from falling into a pit of pillows, I'm not poisoned with delicious jam, and I'm not drowned gourds float.

PERFECT SCORE! The tipsy centaurs, led by Tombu, grumble and fidget with their pies. So disappointing.

Jackpot hands each of you a jar of blackberry preserves. Here's your reward. [ooc]These function as Gecko potions

You take a breather to savor your victory before you hear rustling from the edge of the forest line…


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

“One can read the stars, but not the future.” A voice from overhead proclaims. Two centaurs flinch as a copper-scaled iruxi drops from the tree behind them. “I am Urwal of the Verdant Wheel,” the iruxi proclaims. “Like the Wanderer, we must make haste.” With a brief nod, Urwal slings a pack over his shoulder and heads into the woods.

He doesn't wait for you to follow… but follow you must. Jackpot waves goodbye as you walk into the sun-dappled forest.

Urwal speaks as he moves forward. “Destinations. We speak of them as if we always know the places we must go. But if you do not know where you must go, can you find your way back? More importantly, can you feed yourself along the way? Let us see if you can. While we have some provisions, see if you can fetch some food for our journey from the surrounding terrain.”

Urwal wants to see if you can Subsist in the forest. Since you don't have 8 hours here, you will take a -5 penalty on the check.

✹ ✹ ✹

Food for Your Journey with Urwal

DC 10 survival at a -5 penalty to get food. Urwal wants you to find food for at least half the group.

Elixia
Ionic
James T Crusher
Squash

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Find food I will survival: 1d20 + 7 - 5 ⇒ (12) + 7 - 5 = 14 -5 cause James too will get food.
Find food and my way through I did.

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

Though he doesn't require food himself, just water, sunlight and soil, Squash tries to help gather food for the others.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 10 - 5 = 20

"Seems like plenty to eat here, though I hope it is not bad to eat."

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarf (Death-Warden) Scout Ranger 7 | HP 108/108 | AC: 25 | F +14 R +15 W +14; 5 Fire Resistance, 1 Negative Resistance | Perc +17 | 35 feet | Class DC 22 |1 Hero point|Exploration Activity: Scout (+17; +2 to allies' init) | Active Conditions: None

Ionic gives one of the tipsy centaurs a nudge with his elbow. "Ya could hit one o' ya friends. Start a pie fight, if ya want."

======

In the forest, the dwarf looks for a good river and tries to fish some fish out of it.

Survival, no time, trained DC 10: 1d20 + 10 - 5 ⇒ (11) + 10 - 5 = 16
"Two small fish while walking along the river! Not bad! Hopefully they cook up nicely later today."
That's food for everyone but Urwal himself, assuming that Squash's roll is a crit.

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

"Looks like we have quite lot already. Though, you are all bigger than me and I'm not really sure how much you all eat."

Given that Squash doesn't eat food, we are probably good.

Plant Nourishment:
You gain nourishment in the same way that the plants or fungi that match your body type normally do, through some combination of photosynthesis, absorbing minerals with your roots, or scavenging decaying matter. You typically do not need to pay for food. If you normally rely on photosynthesis and go without sunlight for 1 week, you begin to starve. You can derive nourishment from specially formulated bottles of sunlight instead of natural sunlight, but these bottles cost 10 times as much as standard rations (or 40 sp).


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Urwal nods. You have already learned the land gives. The reward of this learning is time. The enigmatic mystic wanders off. Success! You get the feeling he would have delayed his journey to teach you survival skills if you failed.

The journey into the Finadar Forest continues on for several hours, during which Urwal provides little additional context for the trip beyond staring up into the open sky. Along the way, the forest thickens. Without the sun and sky to guide us, surely we will be lost. Can your wisdom act as out compass?

Urwal is requesting that you find him a clearer path through the forest — one that can still him in the same direction.

One PC can attempt a DC 15 Survival check to Sense Direction; Urwal will not let you split up. Hopefully you havbe a compass/wayfinder!

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

Consulting his wayfinder from time to time, Squash begins to seek a direction for them to travel.

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

Squash gets the sense that he may be reading the compass wrong and checks again. Hero point

Survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Actually I guess I'll have to scratch that hero point. Sense Direction is supposed to be a secret check. Do you want to roll one at +10 or take my initial roll?


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Oh, so it is. Save the hero point, I'll roll it. As far as I understand you can use hero points on secret rolls too, so long as your pc knows they are making the check.

Super secret GM screen for secrets! Don't look!:
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17 I told you not to look!

Squash finds the way — slivers of blue sky appear overhead!

I will update us in a little bit.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

You move on. Urwal’s tail twitches as he glances up at a patch of sky, barely visible through the trees. “You may wonder why I tested you your skills at a seemingly trivial obstacle course and at wilderness survival. This is not just a random lesson. A powerful force calls in my dreams, and the stars tell me that we must heed it. I cannot sense them while awake, so I must enter a trance. Like Jackpot, I embark on a vulnerable, sightless journey, and need your protection.”

He stares at you, waiting for any questions.

Verdant Wheel

Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

"So where are you doing this? How long will it take? Are you expecting to be attacked by something?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros
~Squash~ wrote:
"So [why] are you doing this?

“I don’t know who or what calls. I can only feel the urgency. They sent me a vision of two partial constellations, the Stargazer and the Stranger. The Stargazer studies the heavens so intently that he cannot see his surroundings.” Urwal pauses and shrugs. “Some signs need little interpretation.”

~Squash~ wrote:
"How long will it take?"

“The stars have not told me, but I suspect it could last several days. That is why I wanted to make sure you were prepared.”

~Squash~ wrote:
"Are you expecting to be attacked by something?"

"The forest's thorns do not drip with jam. Its cliffs do not have pillows to catch me when I fall. Its rivers will pull me down and drown me. Its denizens will not be throwing pies." Yes, you will be moving through dangerous territory and should expect to be attacked and/or led through dangerous places by Urwal in his trance.

These will help you. Urwal provides a greater rope of climbing, a climbing kit, four pup tents, and tackle.

Envoy's Alliance

| HP 12/33 | AC 16; w/shield 17 | Fort +8; Ref +6; Will +11 | Perception: +9; Low-light vision | Divine Font 2/4 | Focus Point 1/1 | Hero Point 1/3 | CG Female Half-Elf (Kelishite) (Entertainer) Cleric of Calistria Lvl 3

Elixia would cast guidance on anyone else to help out since foraging for food is very much not her...she'd rather smile and bat her eyes with the camp's quartermaster and pick up extra provisions for her porter to lug along.

GM:
My VC told me that since I was down sick when fame went away he'd be okay with me spending the last bit of fame I had on Elixia on a basic hireling boon but told me I can't use it in my current game unless you were okay with it. I was thinking of making it a porter who has athletics and labor lore only. Totally your call and I'm okay either way. Thank you!

Sorry for missing a bit. Normally I can only post once a day late-night but the last day or two were a bit weird.

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Thanks Squash, we can all do well out here in the wild it seems.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Urwal closes his eyes, takes a few deep breaths, and enters his trance. He immediately starts walking… straight into a tree.

You begin following him. In his trance state, Urwal is unaware and unrousable. If you try to feed him or offer him liquids, he swallows automatically but eats minimally. You can guide him around obstacles, but he keeps walking towards his unknowable destination no matter what hazards lay in the way.

Along the journey, you discover that standing in front of Urwal and grasping his shoulders stops him from moving for 1 round; doing so requires one PC to spend one action, but doesn’t require a check.

Urwal’s speed in trance state is 15 feet. His face and body are relaxed, and his movement is both heavier and more grounded as he takes off towards Jadirahx’s cave.

One of you should spend a special Exploration activity guiding Urwal. You may also want to take other precautions in character. Ionic — I assume you are scouting ahead.

Verdant Wheel

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gourd Leshy Fighter 6| HP: 86/86 | AC: 25 | F: +13 R: +12 W: +13 | Hero Point: 2/3 | Spd 25ft. | Active Conditions: None (Sheet)

Elixia, perhaps it would be best if you guide our friend while we remain on guard?"

Squash reaches into his gourd and pulls out a length of chain with many barbs. As he holds in his hands, The vines along his arms stretch out until they are nearly six feet long. The leshy will keep ahead of Urwal but not stray too far ready to cut down anything that tries to get too close.

Equipping my spiked chain and using Grasping Reach to gain reach with it.

Will use the Search exploration activity.

Envoy's Alliance

M Shoanti Human Giant Barbarian 5: Spd:20, AC:22, HP:88/88, Fort:13, Ref:9, Will:9, Stealth:9, Perc:9

Who will Guide Urwal? I'm not the one to do that, I'm a Barbarian, my job is to smash, not to provide guidance.

1 to 50 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's Fanciful March of Urwal (Gameday X) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.