The Witchwar Legacy

Game Master Sedoriku

>>Maps<<


1 to 50 of 497 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs

Please dot and delete or, if you feel like getting to know the other characters, post something in character. I can almost guarantee we'll be starting in a lodge somewhere near Irrisen.

Grand Lodge

male Cleric 16 HP 120 | AC 34; Touch 14; FF 32 | F +15; R +8; W +20 | CMB +12; CMD 25 | Speed 20 ft | Init +0 | Perc +9 | Stealth: -2 cleric 16

A gnome with antlers on his helmet leads a riding dog into the Lodge. He has a backpack on and a battleaxe tucked into his waist band.

"Hi all I heard we're going on a mission for the Society. I can prepare breakfast before we go!"

Purs will cast heroes feast before the mission.

The Exchange

| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

Pete replies happily to Purs, A good breakfast would be most welcome. A chelaxian man with fine clothing and obviously fiendish features greets some of his former adventuring allies " Wyyn and Hendric, good to see you again! I'm glad we were able to save what we could. He turns to Hendric specifically," How is the rebuilding progressing?"

He then addresses the rest of the seasoned agents of the society, To the rest of you, I don't think we've met before, but I'm Venture Captain Peter Zarr. My friends call me Pete, and I'd like to think that includes most pathfinders I've worked with. I've made a career in the society summoning fiends and angels alike to intervene and ensure that our agents make it out alive. Speaking of which, who called this meeting anyways? It was well timed I suppose, I just finished reading a mythic tome that was able to clearly increase my intellect and I suppose I could use an adventure.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

The knight is tall and broad-shouldered, with gleaming plate armor and the sword-and-sunburst of Iomedae on his shield.

He dismounts outside the lodge, speaks a word, and the massive destrier disappears into his armor.

"Good to see you again, Pete. The news is not good, but not as bad as it might be. The Tyrant remains free, and Lastwall is overrun with the walking dead. We are still evacuating refugees; rebuilding is a long way off. But the fight does not end. Tar-Baphon is the enemy of all that live in Golarion, including the people of Irrisen, so I will look for alliances anywhere I can."

"Thank you, friend Gnome. I am Venture-Captain Sir Hendric the Vigilant. From the city of Vigil in Lastwall."

Liberty's Edge

Male CG Elf Arcane Archer 9/ Fighter 6 / Wizard 1 | HP 130/130 Temp 18/18| AC 31 T 22 FF 23 | CMB +19, CMD 39 | F: +17, R: +20, W: +14 | Init: +10 | Perc: +22 (LLV & DV 60'), SM: +1 | Speed 60ft | Diviner's Fortune:7/7; Seeker Arrow: 3/3; Phase Arrow: 2/2; Arcane Bond: 0/1; GM Reroll: 0/1 | Spells: Listed in Profile

A tall slender elf walks in to the meeting. He looks around and delighted to see some friendly faces. "Sir Hendric. Pete" He says nodding to each. "Glad to be working on assignment with you once more."

"Agreed. It will take some time after all the damage that was done."

Dark Archive

Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

A beautiful golden-haired woman in a rich red dress sips costly chelish red wine, looking out from under half-closed lids at the present agents of the Society. Her long lashes hide her observant green eyes, which notice various details. On her chest she proudly wears golden holly symbol of new goddess Nocticula (it's a moon, lips in kiss, and something like a crown).

- My name is Gillian Rosewater. Welcome you. I am a humble agent of our Society and one of Queen Sorshen's advisors. By the way, it was she who asked me to personally investigate the case in Irissen. She said that there is something important happens at the Northern borders of our country. And here I am... Mmm! Oh, thanks for the treat, gnome fellow. Very tasty!

She smiles sweetly at everyone in the room and carefully bites the bun, holding it with two fingers and slightly protruding little finger.


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs

Having all been gathered to the Iceferry Lodge in near Kalsgard in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings, Venture Captain Bjersig Torrsen welcomes you to his lodge and gives control of half of it to Sir Hendric for his mission to Irrisen that he has gathered you here for.

After the hearty and filling hour long feast that Pursnikkitty conjured up for the group, Bjersig pats his belly and gives a contented sound. "Now that is the kind of spell I enjoy" He then looks over to Hendric commenting in a deep voice accompanied by hand gestures, "Well, isn't it about time we heard the details of this mission... Assuming I may stay and hear about it. I must admit you've got me intrigued to say the least."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

"Thank you, Venture-Captain Torrsen.

As you all know, the Whispering Tyrant has broken free. In the course of that escape, he destroyed my home city of Vigil, and devastated much of Lastwall. The Knights of Ozem are all but destroyed. All but. Some survive."
There is grief, but also grim determination in the cavalier's voice as he speaks.

"So now those Knights, and other survivors of Lastwall such as myself, seek allies wherever they may be found to reclaim the Gravelands. This is no mere mission of vengeance - for the Whispering Tyrant continues to pose a threat to all of Golarion and he must be stopped. The Ten have agreed to put the Society's resources behind stopping the Whispering Tyrant, especially with the revelation of certain of his operatives.

And even Irrisen is at risk from Tar-Baphon. That brings us here. There is a mission that we might undertake that could help us form alliances in the future.

Some of the Jadwiga of Irrisen have been informing us that Queen Anastasia, granddaughter of Baba Yaga, Queen of the Witches, has been intent on tying up loose ends her predecessor left behind. One of them is finding what happened to a mission sent to the Veil of Frozen Tears in the northern reaches of her country to retrieve the Torc of Kostchtchie. There's quite a bit of historical information and probable political motivations behind the relic that, I believe, Venture-Captain Torrsen might be able to explain?

For now, it is enough to know that she would probably be willing to cooperate with us. She might even allow us to study the relic for a while, as there are few people in her country powerful enough to retrieve it she trusts, and there is a fear that a failed attempt might hurt her reputation before she can solidify it, so she has been looking beyond her borders."


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs

Bjersig smiles and shakes his head, "Never heard of the place or the Torc, I'm just here cause my lodge proved to be the closest!"

However you might know something about all of this!

DC 25 Knowledge (nobility) check:
Every hundred years or so, the current Queen of Irrisen is replaced by her mother, Baba Yaga, leading to a complete upheaval of the rulership as the queen and all her children are removed, with some speculating it's to a different plane and others thinking they are all killed. Half a millennium ago, the reign of Queen Tashanna of Irrisen was drawing near the end of it's century, and the time approached for her to abdicate her throne and abandon Irrisen — and even Golarion. Tashanna, however, chose a different course. Rather than give up her throne and the kingdom she had so carefully nurtured for nearly a century, she sought to depose her own mother, Baba Yaga, and retain her rulership of Irrisen.

DC 25 Knowledge (history) check:
Half a millennium ago, Queen Tashanna sought the Torc of Kostchtchie. Years of research later, she was finally able to locate the Torc of Kostchtchie. Knowing of Kostchtchie’s hatred for Baba Yaga, Tashanna used her possession of the torc to convince the demon lord to ally with her in a rebellion against Baba Yaga. This short but bloody rebellion became known as the Witchwar.

Unfortunately, Tashanna underestimated Baba Yaga’s personal power. Baba Yaga first faced Kostchtchie and savaged him with her magic, sending him fleeing to Iobaria to lick his wounds while her loyalists decimated his giant forces. The Queen of Witches then turned her attention to Tashanna and quickly defeated her rebel forces as well, capturing her daughter and ignobly parading her before her own defeated troops.

Baba Yaga executed every one of Tashanna’s followers and created a huge magical necropolis wherein she interred Tashanna’s defeated army and purportedly the deposed witch queen herself, along with the magical torc that led to her downfall. Known as the Veil of Frozen Tears, this hidden necropolis is rumored to be filled with traps of the Old Crone’s devising and foul guardian spirits.

DC 35 Knowledge (local):
A few years ago there were rumors that the then current Queen Elvanna, Fourteenth Daughter of Baba Yaga, near the end of her own reign over Irrisen, faced the uncertain future of her sister-queens who have gone before her. Whispers said she hoped to hedge her bets with the possession of a powerful artifact, such as the Torc of Kostchtchie. To this end, she found the location of the Veil of Frozen Tears and sent mercenaries to penetrate its wards in order to recover the torc for herself. But the dangers of the frozen necropolis are supposedly manifold, and none of her hirelings returned from their quest.

DC 25 Knowledge (religion):
Kostchtchie is the Demon Lord of Giants and Cold, created ages and ages ago when the Old Crone, Baba Yaga herself, created both Kostchtchie and his eponymous torc. The witch cursed the then human by ripping part of Kostchtchie's mortal soul form his body and binding it to the torc. This created a horrible, twisted, yet immortal, demon, earning the new demon's undying hatred of her. It's rumored that those who control the torc have some measure of control over the demon. Any mentions of both Kostchtchie and his torc mention how desperately the demon wants to possess the relic. His reasons for owning are his own but many of speculated over the years that the demon lord seeks to recover the torc to prevent anyone from gaining power over his soul, that Kostchtchie believes that by destroying the torc, he may be able to become a truly immortal human, rather than a cursed and twisted demon, or that Kostchtchie wants to recover the torc to prove something to Baba Yaga or to offer it to her in exchange for freeing him from his curse.

DC 25 Knowledge (geography):
You know exactly where this site is! See slide 3!

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

Venture Captain Peter Zarr continues, " The torc is a magical relic of some import, used quite some time ago in a rebellion against Baba Yaga herself, causing what is known as the Witchwar. It was devestating to the country, but ultimately ended up with Baba Yaga striking down the rebellion and the demon that they controlled through the torc. The Veil is purported to be the final resting place of the rebellion, a necropolis that serves to entomb those who opposed her and as well as being a reminder to those who oppose the Old Crone.

The torc is rumored to have been stored here to, to prevent any one from gaining power over Kostchtchie, the Demon Lord of Gaints and Cold. The relic seen as a sign of rebellion.

A few years ago there were rumors that the then current Queen Elvanna neared the end of her reign over Irrisen and faced the uncertain future of her sister-queens who have gone before her. You've learned from communications with Anastasia, the former queen hoped to hedge her bets with the possession of a powerful artifact, such as the Torc of Kostchtchie. To this end, she found the location of the Veil of Frozen Tears and sent mercenaries to penetrate its wards in order to recover the torc for herself. But none of her hirelings returned from their quest.

Now Anastasia, not a witch like the previous queens before her, fears that the winter witches under her might seek the relic to usurp her throne and kill her, perhaps even oppose her grandmother. Given the contentious nature of the relic, and how many witches whisper about her being a 'Fraud Queen' she doesn't quite know if she can trust any of them to retrieve it for her, so she's turned to looking outside the country, and based on the advice from one of the few people she trusts, Uliyara, daughter of the Baroness Nadya, mentioned that the Pathfinder Society might be able to help.

We can use this opportunity both to study a relic we wouldn't otherwise gain access to, and to make a powerful ally, that the society could well use in this fight.

Any questions?

After consulting his series of pathfinder chronicles, Peter further is able to provide further information. Peter can hit those DCs by taking 10 on the appropiate knowledges. I'll wait for others to have a chance to share, rather than just reiterate all of the information, but feel free to open the spoilers if desired, since Peter would tell you what he knows.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

"Everything is very clear. We should probably get hold of such a demonic artifact before another madman gets hold of it. Thank you, captains."

She takes a sip of wine and looks thoughtfully at the play of light on the diamonds on her bracelet for a second or two.

"I have no questions and ready to go, there's nothing keeping me here. Hmm, I think I need an unseen servant. I can't carry on my own all the items I need for a lady's comfortable journey in such a cold and snowy eternal winter. Captain Bjersig, tell me please where you have a room for spellcasters in your Lodge? "

PS And maybe I'll buy some more expensive components for spells, I haven't checked everything yet

PPS Condition for the Contingency spell: getting damage that left Gillian at 70 or less HP

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

"I too am ready to go.
There are some simple spells to handle the cold, Gillian. Or a Handy Haversack to carry gear. But if you need to cast Unseen Servant, you can do it right here."

I do not understand why she would need to go into a different room to cast Unseen Servant. Is there is something else going on and she is Bluffing?

Dark Archive

Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

"Baby, it's because you don't know anything about magic. Unseen servants can be very different. Some of them take time."

She smiles playfully and winks. "You'll like it."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

Sense Motive vs Bluff: 1d20 + 40 ⇒ (13) + 40 = 53

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

Peter recognizes the cat herding nature of assembling some of the most powerful seekers on Golarion, " I assure you Gillian, Sir Hendric knows enough about magic to know he'd prefer not to know any more. "

After work today if no one else has any questions I'll go ahead and write an in character reply for the various knowledge information, not the least of which is our destination! @GM, it isn't clear to me from slide 3 how far it is from Iceferry Lodge to the Veil of Frozen Tears.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

Sir Hendric looks to Pete and raises an eyebrow.
Something is going on here, but if Pete is okay with it, then I am too.
"Okay, then. Summon your phantom butler or whatever and let us know when we can go."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
male Cleric 16 HP 120 | AC 34; Touch 14; FF 32 | F +15; R +8; W +20 | CMB +12; CMD 25 | Speed 20 ft | Init +0 | Perc +9 | Stealth: -2 cleric 16

I played the last part of Reign of Winter with this PC fyi

"I know about Baba yaga her daughter tried to screw her over!"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

Dressed in modest green colored clothes and light chain, a young human woman in her late 20's confidently and scans the room. Her blonde hair that is tied into a thick, loose ponytail and her light skin tone shows her Andoran heritage, but those with knowledge of the Arcadian cultures would notice distinctive Mahwekan features along her slender but athletic frame. A hornbow and shield are strapped to her back and her head is covered with a coonskin cap, its wagging tail betraying the fact that it is a Cassisian angel.

Ahh, it is good to be amongst peers again. And to be tested by the so far to the north? What a challenge! Can't wait to see whats up there. What's that Bubbles? Yes, that knight DOES look strong. Kurgess provides. Once again is it good day to push myself under the blue sky and above the green earth.

Putting her hands on her hips and nodding towards the knight, she greets her new companions speaking warmly and excitedly.

"Hello everyone and I'm sorry I'm a bit late, I had to stop and wrestle a polar bear to get my dinner back last night and lost track of time. My name is Molly Trickfoot and this is little guy on my head is Bubbles. I'll try to keep all the bad stuff away from all of the smart people so you can do important stuff. I can see trouble coming and I am amazing at getting out of it or making it go away. Its great to meet all of you and I promise not to become distracted again."

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

Wrestling a polar bear... she sounds like one of those Order of the Hammer types...

"It is good to meet you, Molly and Bubbles."

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism
Pursnikkitty wrote:
"I know about Baba yaga her daughter tried to screw her over!"

Peter addresses Purs, Indeed, reports of your chronicles were one of the reasons we humbly requested you join us for this mission! Do you have any knowledge of Irrisen that might prove helpful in selecting our mode of transportation?

He then turns to Molly, Well met Molly and Bubbles! I suspect for the very near future we'll be spending a lot of time in close proximity, so getting lost will prove quite difficult.

Once we get further along in making plans I'll probably telepathicly bond us to each other so we're free to share thoughts. For those of you less versed in spellcraft, have no fear, you can share thoughts that you wish to, you don't have to share every one. I remember one draconic pathfinder who kept thinking about going and sitting on an egg once we finished the adventure... I wish them luck in starting a family, but a bit distracting when adventuring the halls of the dead.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

"Hello to you Molly and Bubbles!" She looks kindly at the newcomers. Then she stands up and extends her hands in a friendly gesture to all of you, as if she wants to hug you like a good aunt.

"Friends, how to get there is not a problem. I'm just going to take us by magic. Peter, if you or anyone else here can describe a suitable place for me, we'll be there in no time. I think we need to choose something half a day of walking before this mega-mound."

She continues to smile radiantly, and a note of playfulness appearing in her bright green eyes which sparkle for a moment from under thick lashes.

"About the unseen servant... I'm not lying, I'm laughing. Of course, it will be special. Huge. And can protect me... For example, if someone is too rude insisting on a date. You know, this still can happen in the dungeons, where not everyone has been brought up yet. Sadly but true... But this servant will still help to make me comfortable, I assure you."

Than she looks seriously at sir Hedrik. "But I will show it to you, so that you may be sure that there is no evil in this creature."

(GM, I'll take the 3rd level pearl of power and diamond dust on 11.000)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

"I'm not a paladin, Gillian. I cannot sense the presence of evil. Nor do I really know the creatures of the planes. So just seeing this thing would not tell me anything. Instead, I will trust you and take your word for it."

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

It’s Bjersig’s Lodge, but knowing him, I’d be a bit surprised if he had a huge permanent summoning circle Peter turns to Bjersig, relaying Gillian’s query.

It'd be absolutely hilarious if he did

Dark Archive

Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

"But now I understand why you are a real cavalier, sir Hendric! This is very gallant." Gillian says this with a smile, pretending to be slightly embarrassed.

Then she turns her head to Peter. "It was worth asking about the circle. I haven't been here before. Well. I need 15 minutes and some peace."

(2 GM - I will write more later, but this elemental has almost no chance to refuse. It has no SR, it can only take will save only on a natural 20, and the difference in opposed charisma check is +13. If even I fail the last check, I can let this one go and call another one. I would say that it is a question of a single slot or two/three in the case of their great luck.)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

Molly gives the knight a visual scan and looks a bit surprised. She sheepishly rubs the back of her head as her hat floats off of her and begins looking around at the assembled group.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir I had you pegged as a paladin. Uhh, well, umm, well if it makes you feel better, I do have the ability to detect the presence of evil. Well, Bubbles does and he uses his mind to tell me. Ok, to be honest when he sees something evil, everyone will know about it."

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Cassisian Angel Improved Familiar/14 | HP 48/48 | AC 21, TAC 11, FFAC 14, 7 CMD, 19 SR | Fort +10, +16 Reflex, +4 Will | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction | DR 5/cold iron or evil; Immune acid, cold, petrification, Resist 5 electricity 10, fire 10

Bubbles finds a table and relaxes a bit, crumbling into a loose heap in the sunshine that is beaming through a nearby window. Sitting like this he could almost be mistaken for a real raccoon. It pings its thoughts out telepathically in mock annoyance.

"By the Strong Man's brow! You exaggerate Molly, I learn my lesson after that incident with that ioun stone. You kept me up all night, in the name of Kurgess leave me be for a moment."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
male Cleric 16 HP 120 | AC 34; Touch 14; FF 32 | F +15; R +8; W +20 | CMB +12; CMD 25 | Speed 20 ft | Init +0 | Perc +9 | Stealth: -2 cleric 16

"Hi Molly and Bubbles! This is my riding dog Sparky! I'm Pursnikitty! But you can call me Purs!" The gnome turns to Bubbles. "Hey you're NOT a racoon!"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

As she speaks Molly begins stretching to stay limber.

Oh an Erastilian?! I've always had a soft spot for Old Deadeye. And that elven fellow must be able to do amazing things with that bow. This is shaping up to be a great arena to test myself. So exciting!

"It's a pleasure to meet you Purs. Thank you for the feast, I'm absolutely famished. I love your dog, his coat is fantastic. Such a good boy too."

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

Conveying knowledge checks in character, will save vs wall o text!

Peter continues, “While Purs undoubtedly has a more detailed report, I can say what I learned from chronicles. Every hundred years or so, the current Queen of Irrisen is replaced by her mother, Baba Yaga, leading to a complete upheaval of the rulership as the queen and all her children are removed, with some speculating it's to a different plane and others thinking they are all killed. Half a millennium ago, the reign of Queen Tashanna of Irrisen was drawing near the end of it's century, and the time approached for her to abdicate her throne and abandon Irrisen — and even Golarion. Tashanna, however, chose a different course. Rather than give up her throne and the kingdom she had so carefully nurtured for nearly a century, she sought to depose her own mother, Baba Yaga, and retain her rulership of Irrisen.

Half a millennium ago, Queen Tashanna sought the Torc of Kostchtchie. Years of research later, she was finally able to locate the Torc of Kostchtchie. Knowing of Kostchtchie’s hatred for Baba Yaga, Tashanna used her possession of the torc to convince the demon lord to ally with her in a rebellion against Baba Yaga. This short but bloody rebellion became known as the Witchwar.

Unfortunately, Tashanna underestimated Baba Yaga’s personal power. Baba Yaga first faced Kostchtchie and savaged him with her magic, sending him fleeing to Iobaria to lick his wounds while her loyalists decimated his giant forces. The Queen of Witches then turned her attention to Tashanna and quickly defeated her rebel forces as well, capturing her daughter and ignobly parading her before her own defeated troops.

Baba Yaga executed every one of Tashanna’s followers and created a huge magical necropolis wherein she interred Tashanna’s defeated army and purportedly the deposed witch queen herself, along with the magical torc that led to her downfall. Known as the Veil of Frozen Tears, this hidden necropolis is rumored to be filled with traps of the Old Crone’s devising and foul guardian spirits.

A few years ago there were rumors that the then current Queen Elvanna, Fourteenth Daughter of Baba Yaga, near the end of her own reign over Irrisen, faced the uncertain future of her sister-queens who have gone before her. Whispers said she hoped to hedge her bets with the possession of a powerful artifact, such as the Torc of Kostchtchie. To this end, she found the location of the Veil of Frozen Tears and sent mercenaries to penetrate its wards in order to recover the torc for herself. But the dangers of the frozen necropolis are supposedly manifold, and none of her hirelings returned from their quest.

Kostchtchie is the Demon Lord of Giants and Cold, created ages and ages ago when the Old Crone, Baba Yaga herself, created both Kostchtchie and his eponymous torc. The witch cursed the then human by ripping part of Kostchtchie's mortal soul form his body and binding it to the torc. This created a horrible, twisted, yet immortal, demon, earning the new demon's undying hatred of her. It's rumored that those who control the torc have some measure of control over the demon. Any mentions of both Kostchtchie and his torc mention how desperately the demon wants to possess the relic. His reasons for owning are his own but many of speculated over the years that the demon lord seeks to recover the torc to prevent anyone from gaining power over his soul, that Kostchtchie believes that by destroying the torc, he may be able to become a truly immortal human, rather than a cursed and twisted demon, or that Kostchtchie wants to recover the torc to prove something to Baba Yaga or to offer it to her in exchange for freeing him from his curse.

And finally, and perhaps most relevantly, I can describe, in sufficient detail for a greater teleport, the location of the Veil of Frozen Tears. Gillian is one of the finest sorcerer’s in the society, and should be able to convey all of us there, a feat that I can not yet muster in a single trip.

Peter looks for a caydenite who can create ale, and sans caydenite, settles a large drink water after that description.


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs
~ Gillian ~ wrote:
"I have no questions and ready to go, there's nothing keeping me here. Hmm, I think I need an unseen servant. I can't carry on my own all the items I need for a lady's comfortable journey in such a cold and snowy eternal winter. Captain Bjersig, tell me please where you have a room for spellcasters in your Lodge? "

The venture Captain stands up and streches. "We certainly do. It's down the hall to the left and up the spiral stair case. Though why you need that for such a simple spell I have no idea... Also might still have some acid burns from the last spell caster to try something in there. I'll show you."

~ Gillian ~ wrote:
PPS Condition for the Contingency spell: getting damage that left Gillian at 70 or less HP

Oh, you have contingency active? Okay what spell is being suspended and how long will this last?

~ Gillian ~ wrote:

"Baby, it's because you don't know anything about magic. Unseen servants can be very different. Some of them take time."

She smiles playfully and winks. "You'll like it."

Bluff check please!

Peter Zarr wrote:

Peter recognizes the cat herding nature of assembling some of the most powerful seekers on Golarion, " I assure you Gillian, Sir Hendric knows enough about magic to know he'd prefer not to know any more. "

After work today if no one else has any questions I'll go ahead and write an in character reply for the various knowledge information, not the least of which is our destination! @GM, it isn't clear to me from slide 3 how far it is from Iceferry Lodge to the Veil of Frozen Tears.

Bjersig pauses and looks to the teifling. "Could you tell me what it might be cause I don't have a clue."

As for how far apart they are... the module is extremely open ended about gathering people and putting them there, so I'm not entirely sure. However from here to the border with Irrisen is two or three days by boat if I remember correctly and then it's probably be that again to get to Whitethrone and then be a further few days walk to the veild on foot after that. However teleporting to near by is also a great option.
Pursnikkitty wrote:

I played the last part of Reign of Winter with this PC fyi

"I know about Baba yaga her daughter tried to screw her over!"

And that is why I updated the setting a little.

"Ehh, so you might be able to talk her down if she shows up? Sounds useful!"
Peter Zarr wrote:
Once we get further along in making plans I'll probably telepathicly bond us to each other so we're free to share thoughts. For those of you less versed in spellcraft, have no fear, you can share thoughts that you wish to, you don't have to share every one. I remember one draconic pathfinder who kept thinking about going and sitting on an egg once we finished the adventure... I wish them luck in starting a family, but a bit distracting when adventuring the halls of the dead.
"Sounds distracting. Reminds me of the time I ran into telepathic kittens that some spell caster had been practicing on, non-stop calls for food and fish, until they found out how pleasant a good scratching could be and then..."
~ Gillian ~ wrote:

"Friends, how to get there is not a problem. I'm just going to take us by magic. Peter, if you or anyone else here can describe a suitable place for me, we'll be there in no time. I think we need to choose something half a day of walking before this mega-mound."

(GM, I'll take the 3rd level pearl of power and diamond dust on 11.000)

Smart to not go right there! Bad things may or may not have happened if you tried to go right there... Actually you'd just encounter a forbiddance effect, making the teleport fail.

Also now one of the enemies will have to be pushy for a date. It just has to happen. That is not something that I'm going to leave alone.

Peter Zarr wrote:

It’s Bjersig’s Lodge, but knowing him, I’d be a bit surprised if he had a huge permanent summoning circle Peter turns to Bjersig, relaying Gillian’s query.

It'd be absolutely hilarious if he did

I didn't see this until after I'd said he did.


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs
Peter Zarr wrote:
"And finally, and perhaps most relevantly, I can describe, in sufficient detail for a greater teleport, the location of the Veil of Frozen Tears. Gillian is one of the finest sorcerer’s in the society, and should be able to convey all of us there, a feat that I can not yet muster in a single trip." Peter looks for a caydenite who can create ale, and sans caydenite, settles a large drink water after that description.

Bjersig smiles at all of the talking but you can see his eyes galzing over as it goes on. His dog does perk up as you seem to look for something to drink. It nudges Bjersig back to reality and the half-orc stands up and points to a magic item on the table. "More ale? Use this. Given all the Ulfen we get around here, I had someone craft me a spigot that can produce a create ale effect whenever you turn the knob. Saves us so much on liquor costs."

Whoops that was a bit much on the text side there I guess. but yes you know where the area is and the surrounding area well enough to describe it for Greater Teleport.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

Much, much appreciated. This may be the finest thing any Wizard created..

Really appreciated the detailed backstory. You nicely spoiled it into bite sized chunks, I’m the one who put it into one long post :)

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

"Magic beer? With respect, I brought my drink. Thanks anyway. Care for those that want any, it has a strong kick."

Molly pulls out a small glass bottle and a few tiny glass cups. She pours some out and quaffs it down, then pours another and places the bottle near to glasses as to allow others to pour themselves if they desire.

Ahh, Mal's homemade Arcadian applejack. Warm as the summer sun, crisp as an autumn breeze. Dry as a winter wind and refreshing like a spring day. For a human, life is too short for mediocre booze.

"So if I get this right, Queen Elvanna wants us to find this Torc of Kostchtchie in this place called the Veil of Frozen Tears because it will control a powerful demon. I'm a little uneasy with us not killing the demon when we find it but unless they changed the meaning of the word 'immortal', I'm guessing that is off the table anyway. Unfortunate."

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Elf Arcane Archer 9/ Fighter 6 / Wizard 1 | HP 130/130 Temp 18/18| AC 31 T 22 FF 23 | CMB +19, CMD 39 | F: +17, R: +20, W: +14 | Init: +10 | Perc: +22 (LLV & DV 60'), SM: +1 | Speed 60ft | Diviner's Fortune:7/7; Seeker Arrow: 3/3; Phase Arrow: 2/2; Arcane Bond: 0/1; GM Reroll: 0/1 | Spells: Listed in Profile

"At least demons are strait forward with their destruction. Devils are tricky." Wynn says trying to absorb all of the knowledge just let out by Peter.

He looks over to Molly. "I think that about sums it up." Wynn smirks as he sees the Orc Hornbow, "Ah, I have heard of those. Very nasty. Need a very strong arm to pull them back."


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs
Molly the Lost wrote:

"Magic beer? With respect, I brought my drink. Thanks anyway. Care for those that want any, it has a strong kick."

Molly pulls out a small glass bottle and a few tiny glass cups. She pours some out and quaffs it down, then pours another and places the bottle near to glasses as to allow others to pour themselves if they desire.

"So if I get this right, Queen Elvanna wants us to find this Torc of Kostchtchie in this place called the Veil of Frozen Tears because it will control a powerful demon. I'm a little uneasy with us not killing the demon when we find it but unless they changed the meaning of the word 'immortal', I'm guessing that is off the table anyway. Unfortunate."

Bjersig walks up and pours himself a glass of the stuff. "Not magic beer, just beer made with magic. Though the quality is mediocre it is plentiful and for many an ulfen or Caydenite that's more than enough." He takes a sip of the drink, shivering slightly at the taste of it. "This, the other hand, is magical!"

He takes the glass back to his seat and starts looking at the documents for the lodge, before looking up. "I think it was the new queen, Anastasia, who was hiring you, but the previous queen, Elvanna, was the one who first searched for it. The torc and the demon are separate i believe."

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

Molly grins and clasps her hands together, the muscles in her arm straining against each other.

“The strongest of arms Wynnreyell. This bow has been the tool that I‘ve used to spread the the will and word of Kurgess, both on the battlefield and competitions across three continents. I would love nothing more than to test my skills against yours. Win or lose, I know it will be deeds worth witnessing.”

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

@Peter Zarr, sorry, I acted as if you already took 10 on that checks and told everything to us. Misread. @GM Sedoriku Contingency has duration 1 day/level, so 18 days. I almost always use it with Emergency Force Sphere with Fleeting Metamagic.

Gillian puts down her wine glass and takes the 'magic beer' with relish. She takes only a small sip, but then gives a few compliments to the author of the recipe. "...And don't worry about the room, captain. Peter reminded me that it would be easier to teleport without this servant... So I'll summon it there." @GM Sedoriku I'll took 1 on bluff so it 22. She does not deceive her fellows but just amuses and plays with words, leaving it very obvious.

"By the way, I am extremely interested in the success of Anastasia's reign, because Queen Sorshen needs worthy neighbors on the Northern borders. Now I finally understand why I'm here. And demons, demons... On the one hand, even these creatures can sometimes be redeemed. They have a chance. But I'm not sure a misogynist like Kostchtchie would do that. This means that the process of harming him will be pleasant to me. But it's all lyrics. When everyone's ready, I'll teleport us."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
male Cleric 16 HP 120 | AC 34; Touch 14; FF 32 | F +15; R +8; W +20 | CMB +12; CMD 25 | Speed 20 ft | Init +0 | Perc +9 | Stealth: -2 cleric 16

"My dog and I are ready!"

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
| Male N Medium Tiefling Cleric 1, Wizard 5, Mystic Theurge 10 | HP 129/129 12temp | AC 14, T 10, FF 14 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +21 R +16 W +26; evasion; SR 13 vs evil | Init +13 | Perc +30, Sense Motive +28 | Speed 30ft, fly 40ft | Copycat 6/6, Shift 16/16, l quicken 2/3, extend 3/3, l extend 3/3 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble, mage armor, mind blank, invisibility, heroism

You were absolutely free to do so Gillian, you didn't misread. I just wanted to make sure I posted it in character for those who didn't want to open spoilers.

Well, whenever everyone is ready, lets teleport there, get your ally, and walk the rest of the way? Should the binding fail, it'd probably be far less destructive to do it in the wilderness as opposed to Bjersig’s Lodge.

No one said they need flight from Peter, so I won't take Mass Fly, although Peter can prepare spells later if necessary. Is anyone not ready to go now?

@GM, Peter also has a Contingency: If affected by confusion, dazed, frightened, or paralyzed cast surmount affliction for that condition.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

For now I’m ready. Maybe a Heroism later once we get to the Veil itself.

A binding? This I have to see. That lady looks like she knows what she is doing. Maybe I’ll have to wrestle it! Or a foot race... What? Ok Bubbles, I’ll behave.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Human Cavalier 16 | AC 35 T 16 FF 32 CMD 39 | HP 148/148 | Horse 111/111 | F+22 R+17 W+18 | Init +3 | Per +34 | SM +32 (+40 vs Bluff) | Challenge 2/6 | Tactician 3/4 | Reroll 1/1 | Called 1/1 | Inspiring Rush 0/1 | Active: Magic Vestment, Heroism, Res. Cold 30

Sir Hendric has a sip of the beer.
Binding... isn't that what Zarta Dralneen gets up to? No, that's bondage. Maybe she does both at the same time?
He represses a smirk at the thought of the Chelish noblewoman who tried more than once to 'recruit' him.

"I am ready to go. Sentry remains stored within my armor, and I will release him when we arrive. Are we prepared for the cold?"

Sir Hendric ignores cold down to 0 F (-18 C) due to a boon, below that he will need Endure Elements - which is cheap enough at this level.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Elf Arcane Archer 9/ Fighter 6 / Wizard 1 | HP 130/130 Temp 18/18| AC 31 T 22 FF 23 | CMB +19, CMD 39 | F: +17, R: +20, W: +14 | Init: +10 | Perc: +22 (LLV & DV 60'), SM: +1 | Speed 60ft | Diviner's Fortune:7/7; Seeker Arrow: 3/3; Phase Arrow: 2/2; Arcane Bond: 0/1; GM Reroll: 0/1 | Spells: Listed in Profile

"I think I have something" Wynn holds his hand out to the top of his handy haversack, concentrating. A second later a scroll leaps into his hand. He unrolls the scroll. "Ah, I got this a while ago. Looks like I still have five castings of endure elements here."


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs

Gillian, and everyone else if you want, mostly this it to keep things tidy:
~ Gillian ~ wrote:

@GM Sedoriku Contingency has duration 1 day/level, so 18 days. I almost always use it with Emergency Force Sphere with Fleeting Metamagic.

@GM Sedoriku I'll took 1 on bluff so it 22. She does not deceive her fellows but just amuses and plays with words, leaving it very obvious.

Understood! Fleeting spell is nice, I might pick it up for some of my own casters. And thanks for explaining that's what she's doing, she can intentionally fail the checks if you want.

Also feel free to post about the summoning with your next post, I'm going to move things along and get thing started, but there will be time for to bind the elemental.

Bjersig nods at the mention of not using his magic circle and you can see a great amount of relief wash across his face. "Glad to hear you don't need my circle. Last time some one fudged up a summoning, we had magma cooling in the basement for months!"

Bjersig then looks at Wynn commenting, "I thought you'd be gone for days. Is only 5 castings enough? I hear at the places that are magically made cold, especially those made by the Old Crone herself, even a little cold resistance is enough to resist the effects, so I guess if only a few of you need it... Oh, and I can lend you some supplies to set up a base camp it you want."
If there's any supplies you might still want you have a little bit of time to get them.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Gillian gathers everyone together and then teleports the group and all their companions to a lovely little knoll in the mountains that Peter found on a chronicle once. It should only be a few hours walk from the Veil and proves to be a great place to shelter from the wind and cold for right now. With a barrier, either from Bjersig or your own supplies, it proves to be a balmy, for Irrisen that is, few degrees below freezing.

I'll need to ask everyone what your options to resist the cold are. Hendric is okay for right now, but might not be later, and companions are also important.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

I have a wand of Endure Elements with 41 charges. Consider it free for use as long as you also pop a charge on me.

“Captain Bjersig mentioned that we might want to set up a base camp. Should I get started while Gillian does her binding or are we going to teleport back. I will take me about 2 hours to set everything up myself.”

I rather not have to waste the spells getting back and here again but if they all want to do all that teleporting, fine. Some people don’t like camping. No Bubbles, it’s not weird. Maybe they think we can do it all in one day. We’ll let them figure it out.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

With a long rod that Gillian has prepared in advance, she begins to draw huge geometric shapes in the snow inserted one into the other. Circles, triangles, squares, hexahedrons, and so on, forming whimsical and complex mandalas. She does this with her eyelids half closed, as if checking her inner sense of harmony in the drawings. After 10 minutes, she finishes, then takes out a handful of diamond dust and rubs it into the images. A fair-haired sorceress in a bright red dress raises her hands and begins to pronounce magic formulas, intertwining them with invocations in the auran language. "Come, come, come, I conjure you by the powers of the fifth element!" She continues to shout the words for a while. You can see that it is not easy for her, her hands are tired and a slight perspiration appears on her temples, but she does not retreat. By concentrating on each word, making complex gestures with her fingers, and putting a strong emotion in every part of the ritual, she creates powerful magic in the midst of these snowy mountains…

...It seems that at first nothing happens and she just wastes time. But later, the most attentive of you notice that the air has thickened and it seems as if there is something really huge but still invisible appears inside the protective circle. "Submit to my will! Obey or stay here forever! This diamond dust in the circles will never let you out!" And then she casts another spell (glitterdust), and like a million spangles descends on the invisible figure, showing you its gigantic shape, similar to a human, but blurred and as if woven from streams of energy, which are now highlighted by these spangles.

"Serve me for two weeks, protect me..." - and one adds in a lower voice and with a smile - "...and do any of my little errands, baby."

And again, more fiercely:

"OBEY!"

_________

Everyone:
@GM, General for binding elementals is this: "Most elementals do not bargain for favors — they respect only strength." (Ultimate Magic). I would like to use the approach to the aether elemental as for the air one (there is no explanation for the aether ones) if you allow it.

Air Elemental: When summoning an air elemental, inscribe the magic circle with diamond powder, and release the elemental only once it has acquiesced to the caster’s power. This costs an additional 2,000 gp but adds +4 to the Charisma check.

So this Aether Elemental needs to do a will save DC 29, then CHA check DC 35 and then opposed CHA check vs CHA: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 11 + 2 + 4 = 25.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
male Cleric 16 HP 120 | AC 34; Touch 14; FF 32 | F +15; R +8; W +20 | CMB +12; CMD 25 | Speed 20 ft | Init +0 | Perc +9 | Stealth: -2 cleric 16

I can cast endure elements too


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs

The elemental forms in the circle and stays still for a few moments but a close look by all but the least perceptive of you shows the faint glowing outline of a hulking form strands of things this way and that forming something that might be terrifying to less trained Pathfinders. It fixes its faintly pearlescent eyes on the small form of the one that dared to summon it. It glares at her, starting in all the elemental languages, before quickly realizing Auran works with he woman. "You puny mage! Why do you summon me? I could toss you up on the rock face up there with but a thought. Leave your battered and bruised body skewered on the ice crystals! Now release me at ONCE!"
Will Save DC 29: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
It slams out two strands of itself, trying to wrap around and then fling Gillian up on to the cliff face above, but the tendrils run up against the wall of the circle and the shapes and figures of the circle flings the tendrils every which way almost binding the elemental itself.

It calms down for a moment. "I see you can cast a proper circle! I might listen to your request, MIGHT assuming you prove your strength!" As the glitter falls in the circle the elemental tries to shift and turn to avoid the strands but it sadly can't avoid it all. The strands of it's body start to shift and writhe in clear agitated annoyance, a clear sign of frustration over it's exposure and the sorcerer's clear dominance. It stays seethingly silent for a moment, until Gillian sets the terms for the binding and completes the spell.

With a much quieter voice than before it comments, "You summon and bind me, shamefully expose my form. You are skilled and powerful at magic, enough that serving you wouldn't be a completely demeaning act... For two weeks? Pah! I have spent longer sleeping. Errands are... acceptable, but being called 'baby' is not! As long as you call me so thing more dignified then it's a deal."
Charisma of 11 means it's not going to succeed any of those checks and I don't believe a nat 20 makes these an automatic pass so there is no need for it to roll.

Dark Archive

Arcane Sight, Contingency with Fleeting EFS, Life Bubble, Mage Armor, Mind Blank, Moment of Prescience (+18), Overland Flight, Undeath Ward | HP 144/144 | AC 23 T 19 FF 29 | CMD 27 | F+17 R+17 W+17 | Imune to Charm, Poison, Evil | Init +12 | Perc +25
Spells:
| I 6/8 | II 3/8 | III 6/8 | IV 7/8 | V 4/8 | VI 6/8 | VII 7/8 | VIII 3/6 |IX 4/4 |

"O mighty etheric spirit, of course! I see your elder power now and will call you accordingly! 'Dear' is an expression of deep respect in our world*... So, Dear. Do we have a deal? By the way, if I'll be satisfied enough with your services... and my friends and I can get one thing done quickly... I'll let you go home much faster! Consider it a bonus."

*Bluff: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (13) + 21 = 34 this is only about the 'Dear' ;)
Gillian will keep her word and will move it home (by Plane Shift ) really as soon as we'll be on our way home with Torc.

"Molly, you seem to know something about it. Сould you teach Dearie how to pitch a tent? Your question was very reasonable and I don't think we'll waste magic to rest every time in a Lodge. Make no mistake, Dearie will help you with everything we need to build a camp. I'm sure he can easily get boulders for small walls and stuff like that, if necessary."

She seems to have lost most interest in results of binding. Looks like she has done this dozens of times, and she has been visited by creatures far more evil and insidious than this....

'But when was that? What was it? Horns and hooves? Did I summon demons? No, nonsense.'

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Archer 5 / Darechaser 10 / Unchained Rogue 2 | HP 110/110 | AC 34(30), TAC 18, FFAC 29(25), 34 CMD | +17 Fort , +21 Reflex, +15 Will | +5 Init | 14 Rounds of Adrenaline | Conditions: Detect Evil, Know Direction, Trapfinding +25, Evasion |

Molly and Bubbles have been tossing items out of her bag of holding onto the ground and putting them into piles but has been watching the binding with interest and then a mix of vague terror and awe.

Magic is terrifying, that thing is huge! And getting it to do whatever you want without even a contest is...what’s that Bubbles? The circle WAS the contest? Oh. Oh, it’s a mind contest. Ok, good enough for me.

“Yeah, I won’t turn away another set of hands. Fist we need to put up this pavilion, then sleeping and eating areas. Then we need to set up secondary areas such as the bath and lumber sections. Camping is fun!


Knowledge checks | The Witchwar Legacy | Buffs
~ Gillian ~ wrote:

"O mighty etheric spirit, of course! I see your elder power now and will call you accordingly! 'Dear' is an expression of deep respect in our world*... So, Dear. Do we have a deal? By the way, if I'll be satisfied enough with your services... and my friends and I can get one thing done quickly... I'll let you go home much faster! Consider it a bonus."

"Molly, you seem to know something about it. Сould you teach Dearie how to pitch a tent? Your question was very reasonable and I don't think we'll waste magic to rest every time in a Lodge. Make no mistake, Dearie will help you with everything we need to build a camp. I'm sure he can easily get boulders for small walls and stuff like that, if necessary."

Sense motive: 1d20 ⇒ 19 Assuming 'Dear' was in common or a non-elemental language, I'll say that he believes you. Otherwise I'd say it'd be a -10 to the check for being far-fetched, not that he would pass even then.

The newly nicknamed 'Dear' pauses for a moment, before giving a sound like something massive being bashed into something else by the wind, the Auran equivalent of an affirmative grunt. "Sounds like a deal to me!"

Dear, released from the circle floats over to Molly, extending a few tendrils in what seems like an attempt at a hand shake. It puffs up a little as it introduces itself, iterating in all of the elemental languages, "My name is unpronounceable by your form, you'd need at least 12 tentacles and the ability to refract light, but call me 'Dear'. Tell me what needs be done here, 'Molly'."

Dear works quick and hard, gathering boulders and snow and helping to pack down a quick wind break of rock, snow and ice helping some to disguise the place from outside eyes, though it's primitive and you could probably do a better job with some effort. Dear proves to be less than delicate with things making it hard for him to set up the pavilion, but he does pack it around with snow as soon as Molly has finished getting it set up, making the place nice and insulated. You could probably leave cold sensitive things here, with a small fire and it'd stay unfrozen. All in all the binding and setting up of camp takes near an hour only, you still have most of the day ahead of you.

~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Hiking another hour towards the Veil, you finally start to descend into a valley. An unbelievable sight waits at the end of this valley, where the frozen plains meet the Crown of the World. At the head of the valley, a massive waterfall once plunged the seven hundred feet to the valley floor, but the waterfall has frozen solid, leaving a braided ice column of unimaginable proportions extending from the lip of the cliff above to its base of jagged ice boulders and frozen hillocks at the bottom—the legendary Veil of Frozen Tears, the icy necropolis of the defeated rebels of the Witchwar. A fortification of some sort, apparently carved from the ice itself, protrudes from the ice sheet halfway up, with both a turret and wall pierced with arrow slits. Above this, a hollow has been carved out of the ice, forming a great shelf upon which appears to sit some sort of village. A fissure marks the ice flow’s lower reaches and possibly provides entrance. As the frozen flow plummets to the bottom it ever so slightly starts to take on a pink appearance, ending up lightly rose colored at it's very bottom.

There's avery bad quality image in the slides. Sadly, I forgot to upload the image earlier, and the high quality ones are on my home computer. I'll replace it with a better quality one later.

Everyone, cause Peter can auto succeed the check (DC 20 Know(History) or DC 30 Know (Local):
Baba Yaga created the Veil of Frozen Tears as retribution against her daughter Tashanna and her upstart rebellion. As the Witchwar concluded, the survivors of the rebelling army were captured by Baba Yaga’s forces. A massive purge then took place, in which the Old Crone’s monstrous soldiers rounded up the families of all the disloyal troops. These terrified civilians—men, women, and children—were forced to undergo a brutal march north to the
uttermost edge of Baba Yaga’s kingdom. Many of them did not survive the long road of cold and deprivation, and those who did remained haunted to the end of their days by what they found at the end of their journey. At the head of a narrow valley, they found their loved ones—the hundreds of captured soldiers—chained to the massive stone escarpment. The deposed Queen Tashanna and her war captains stood huddled under guard on one slope of the valley, while the hapless families of the condemned stood below on the valley floor. Baba Yaga’s infamous hut stood atop the escarpment like an enthroned ruler surveying her domain.

While the horrified crowd of thousands watched, Baba Yaga stepped from the entrance of her hut and wove a mighty spell that rerouted an icy river flowing through the nearby mountains and brought it to the cliff’s edge just above the hundreds of chained prisoners. The sudden rushing flood poured over the cliff face. The chained prisoners were held helplessly in its path as the onslaught tumbled down upon them. Many were killed outright by the crushing weight of the water and the debris it carried, or were ripped bodily from the face of the cliff—leaving twisted limbs still manacled to the rock—as they tumbled to their doom hundreds of feet below. Others drowned as the newly formed waterfall gushed down over them, stealing their breath even as it
numbed their bodies with its cold.

The crowd of onlookers below was not spared the slaughter. Too late they realized their jeopardy as the mighty waters rushed over the cliff and into the valley. They fled in droves for the slopes of the valley, but many hundreds were unable to escape before being swept away
in the catastrophic flood. Thus Queen Tashanna and her captains learned the price of their betrayal as they watched their loyal followers being wiped out, and saw even the families of those followers destroyed by the Old Crone’s vengeance.
Finally, as her fabled hut stood firm on its perch in the midst of the rushing flow, Baba Yaga cast a final spell. With a wave of her hand, the tumbling waters below her froze solid into a cyclopean column of twisted ice spilling over the cliff’s edge and into the valley. With another motion, she summoned great ice worms that rose from the snows and ice of the valley slopes and began to tunnel into the frozen cataract, creating tunnels and chambers within the frozen tomb. The last sight beheld by the surviving families as they were led away on their long march south was of Tashanna and her war captains being taken in chains to face their own fates in the newly carved tunnels of the frozen veil that now hid their deceased loved ones. None of the officers of the former witch queen were ever seen in Irrisen again. The Old Crone’s vengeance was complete, and the Witchwar became but a distant memory as the nation of Irrisen, bloodied but whole again, continued on beneath the rule of another of her daughters.

This scenario likes to put information dumps behind DCs that anyone in the right level range could achieve with minimal effort sadly.


A hundred yards away from the base of the icefall is a camp with the sounds of many large brutes fighting, arguing, and cutting things up. At the top of a small rise in front of it is a banner bearing what Peter recognizes from the chronicles he read to prepare as the mark of Kostchtchie.
They group is just behind a rise in the hill, and haven't noticed you. It sounds like a fairly large war camp. What do you want to do?

1 to 50 of 497 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Witchwar Legacy PFS Sedoriku All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.