GM Doug — Escaping the Grave [Gameday VIII PFS2] (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

This is a PF2E game for Gameday VIII, running fromSeptember 9, 2019 to November 17, 2019

Maps & Resources.


1 to 50 of 263 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

This is a PF2E game for Gameday VIII, running from August 26, 2019 to November 3, 2019.

Please dot and delete after you've signed up!


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

You have each received a missive from venture-captain Evni Zongnoss; the letter requests your presence at the Vodavani Lodge in Caliphas, the capital of Ustalav. This letter is also on Slide 1.

Letter from Evni Zongnoss wrote:

Greetings,

I hope this letter finds you well. The Pathfinder Society has found itself in dire need of agents in the Gravelands region, so I am requesting your help for a mission. My home lodge in Vigil is, shall we say, inaccessible at the present time, so please meet me in Caliphas at my temporary headquarters in the Vodavani Lodge and present this letter to me upon arrival.

Destination: Goldenflame

Thank you for your assistance,

Venture-Captain Evni Zongnoss

For some of you, this assignment may cause trepidation: while Ustalav has always been known as one of the more dangerous postings for Pathfinders, it's even deadlier of late. Just a few months ago the Lich King broke free from his ancient prison and decimated the neighboring country of Lastwall — the region is now overrun with undead, and known as the Gravelands. As you make your way to Caliphas, you find yourselves on the road with hundreds of refugees. The journey, however, is uneventful.

Caliphas itself is bustling with activity due the influx of displaced people — the fog-shrouded port is crowded at the best of times, and fairly bursting at the seams right now.

It's early morning. You you push your way through the crowds, and finally see the granite pillars of the Vodavani Lodge (a repurposed lunatic asylum), looming ahead in the mist. You shiver as a cold wind whips your clothing and shreds the fog; you notice some fellow Pathfinders trudging along the road, going to the same destination as you.

As you walk down this gloomy street on the way to meet your venture-captain, please introduce your character to one another! Things you might want to include are how your character looks or talks, their mannerisms, their area of expertise, and anything else that you find relevant.

Grand Archive

LN Male Human (Versatile) Barbarian (1)| HP 22/22 | AC 17 | F +7 R +4 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth -1 | speed 20ft| Active Conditions: None

The large human walks down the street. His chin is covered with stubble and a club rests on his shoulder.

Wow, look at dis big city. I am Dave. Everyone calls me Medium Dave cause I am not as big is Big Dave.

He looks around as the crowd bustles him too and fro. Dis a bt like getting the cows into the pens for milking. Bump, bump.... BUMP On the last Bump he gets his timing and bodily shoves his way through the crowd.

Horizon Hunters

N Dwarf Ranger 1 | HP: 22/22 | AC 17 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +5; Fire Resist 1| Perc: +7 | Stealth: +7 | +2 Initiative | 20ft | Active Conditions: None

"Well met 'Medium Dave'. I's Jorgran Ghildruk." volunteers a bald headed dwarf with a long flowing beard.

An axe of his tribe is strapped to his back over a worn backpack, while a massive crossbow hangs at his hip.

"Been while since'en I's been in dees parts. Tracked ah man fleeing contractual obligations..."

"Town seems restless dees days."

Horizon Hunters

Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 15 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +0 |
Active Effects:
speed 30ft | Hero Points - 0 | focus 1/1 | spells lvl 1-0/3

Veyanna is a tall, dark skinned elven woman with an unhappy expression on her face. Though Medium Dave still manages to stand a good head over her. When she first arrived in Caliphas she was not dressed for the cooler climate at all, but has since grabbed up a few layers from the locals to keep herself warm. Despite that she doesn't look particularly pleased when the wind cuts through it all and makes her shiver.

Judging by the glimpses of the colorful, light robes in shades of green and blue beneath it all and the lightly painted marks on her face it's fairly clear she's from the Mwangi Expanse. This is further confirmed by the moderately heavy accent she has and the slightly stilted way she speaks. "Veyanna. I have not been here before. I do not like being here now. Too cold. But an order is an order."

When Dave and Jorgran shove their way through the crowd she follows closely behind, using them to break the flow of people for her where she can't.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa is fair skinned with long hair, somewhere between blonde and brown, with a short beard to match. He wears a vibrant green tunic underneath a shirt of scale armor, sword and axe on his side, and a small bow on his back.

Skorpa eyes the crowd. At 6 feet tall, he is just tall enough to see several individuals pushing their way through the crowd towards the lodge. “They look like they know where they’re going,” he thinks to himself.

He catches up to them. “Hello,” he says in a thick Ulfen accent. “We are on the same path, I think. I am Skorpa.” He joins in behind them as they walk to the lodge.

Horizon Hunters

M Dwarf Barbarian 1: Spd:20, HP:25/25, AC:14, 1 Fire Resistance, Fort:8, Ref:4, Will:6, Perc:6 Darkvision, Stealth:4

Mandower Steel Strong walks up, after helping out a couple carry out some heavy stuff out to their wagon. If anyone needs a carryout, I'm your man.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

Together you move up the street, past the ancient wrought-iron gates. They creak ominously in the wind, and the empty windows of the old asylum stare down at you like the eyes in a skull. You push open the thick oak doors and hear voices shouting in the hall. A scholar in robes gestures you to the meeting room, located in the old cafeteria.

There are dozens of Pathfinders here; they're discussing missions, sharing documents, and gathering supplies for their quests. Venture-Captain Evni Zongnoss stands atop a table at the center of all this chaos, directing Pathifnders agents here and there. She's a harried-looking gnome clad in a blue turban and matching robe that's decorated with golden crescent moons and butterflies.

DC 12 Knowledge Religion:
Evni wears the iconography of Desna, the ancient goddess of freedom and luck.

She spots your group and waves you over, simultaneously shooing some older pathfinders away. She hops down and smiles. Ah, thank you for coming. Gather around over here, please.

Evni motions over to a nearby table upon which rests a parchment map stuck with miniature flag that partly obscures the label “Lastwall.” Apologies for the out-of-date cartography, but it’s the best we can do at this time.

She pauses. Wait a minute! She counts to five on her fingers: One: Mandowar Steel Strong; Two: Skorpa; Three: Veyanna; Four: Jorgran Ghildruk; Five: Dave (AKA Medium). Weren't there supposed to be six of you? She looks around anxiously.

Pausing here to ensure everyone has time to post an intro; one player is still registered to play but has not done so yet.

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male Human (Versatile) Barbarian (1)| HP 22/22 | AC 17 | F +7 R +4 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth -1 | speed 20ft| Active Conditions: None

Our sixth is Dargon Blackrock I think. He is an RL friend of mine and is on night shift right now (is is emergency services). I will check in on him.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

Latecomers can still post, but I have to head to bed early and want to get you this info. There's a lot to go over.

When no one else immediately arrives, the venture-captain continues.

Well, I hope they're safe. We're missing too many Pathfinders as-is. In fact, that's exactly what your mission is about. She gestures to the room at large. As you can see, I'm coordinating several… recovery operations. You're one of my teams.

The re-emergence of Tar-Baphon dealt a devastating blow to the Society, so we’ve been scrambling to consolidate resources. We're focusing on missions into the Gravelands for two reasons. One: to track down the whereabouts of Pathfinder agents who went missing when the undead hordes struck. Two: to recover any fragments of history and culture that yet survived. I believe you all should have received a letter from me containing your assigned destination: Goldenflame.

Evni points to a flag on the map, in the southeast portion of Lastwall — not that far from where you are now. Goldenflame was an idyllic place surrounding a college that was sponsored and supported by the church of Iomedae. Fortunately, most of the town was able to evacuate swiftly, but we know that some residents stayed behind out of a sense of civic duty to defend their home against evil.

Goldenflame College is known for its documentation of the history of both southeastern Lastwall and the activities of the church of Iomedae in the region. It was also known for its collection of invaluable local curiosities. Those relics and stories — if they can be recovered — will help Lastwall live on. She clenches her fist as this last thought, overcome with emotion.

She collects herself and pushes a sheaf of documents across the table. These dossiers contain information on all known Pathfinder agents in the region surrounding Goldenflame. Although we must hold out hope, I cannot truthfully say I am optimistic. Nevertheless, closure is important, and we can properly mourn for their loss and celebrate their lives once we know their fates. I hope these documents can be of some use to you in this quest.

I’ve also completed and signed travel documentation stating your reasons for being in the Gravelands. Present this document to the border crossing, and you can then be on your way.

Evni walks over to a nearby bench to a relatively massive pack, where she begins sorting through its contents. She pulls out a bundle of sacks. Here. These are for you to transport any items or — she bows her head — any remains you might find.

I know it is a sad and gruesome task, but retrieving any fallen Pathfinders would bring closure to their friends and loved ones. Evni then shoulders another pack herself. I’m heading into the Gravelands myself. Much further in. May Desna guide our journeys.

GM Screen:

1d20 ⇒ 20

Veyanna:
Crit success! You know a surprising amount about Goldenflame College. It contained a fantastic statue of Iomedae’s servitor Jingh, and many regarded it as the college’s most valuable possession.

You also know that the college chapel functioned as a religious institution and the town hall, so historical records concerning its citizens and events were stored there.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

This info is on slides 2-4 as well.

Missing Pathfinder dossiers:

Ardyl Loralin
Home: Iadara, Kyonin

Ancestry: Elf

Background: The youngest in a family of wealthy museum curators, Ardyl Loralin embraced her family’s legacy, devoting all her time reading about different cultures and regions all across Golarion. This childlike curiosity and passion led her to join the Pathfinder Society, believing that the Society could help her discover the rarest and most unusual treasures the world has ever known. A devout adherent of Findeladlara, the elven goddess of art, Ardyl seeks out ever more glorious finds. Through her adventures, she has developed keen scouting senses and a sure shot with the bow, and despite her somewhat spoiled attitude, she is not one to be underestimated.

Bryrigar Hassen
Home: Tymon

Ancestry: Half-orc

Background: Bryrigar Hassen was raised by the arena, becoming a powerful gladiator at a young age in his birth city-state of Tymon, striking fear into the hearts of foes with his rage and his mighty punches. Yet his interest in the arena waned, as few could muster even the most minimal challenge for him. This did not go unnoticed, and eventually Bryrigar was recruited by the secret Pathfinder Society lodge in Tymon. Bryrigar now journeys across Golarion looking for ever more glorious challenges, in accordance with his Gorumite values.

Clement Marten
Home: Oppara, Taldor

Ancestry: Human

Background: A minor noble from Taldor, Clement Marten grew up in the shadow of the higher-ranked nobility that control Taldor. Wanting to escape the stagnation and lack of social mobility, Clement joined the Pathfinder Society to explore the world and experience all it has to offer. Always over the top, Clement is known to appreciate the finery associated with the Taldan party scene, dressing in the finest clothing and enjoying the most decadent food and drink every town has to offer. Having taken dueling classes as a youth, Clement employs his rapier with a deft and sure hand.

Dargim Margrenstrom
Home: Highhelm, Five Kings Mountains

Ancestry: Dwarf

Background: Eking out a threadbare existence in Highhelm was not how Dargrim Margenstrom thought his life would go. He found a new opportunity to use his adept command over alchemy and the forge with the Pathfinder Society, and he now fights foes with alchemical fire and frost vial alike, creates sturdy and sharp weaponry, and enjoys pints of ale with the eclectic folk he meet on adventures. Although he rarely returns home, he carries it with him in the form of a warhammer stylized to appear as that of the Father of Creation, Torag.

Gibb Potsmasher
Home: Absalom

Ancestry: Goblin

Background: Formerly a mischievous orphan terrorizing the streets of the Puddles district in Absalom with her pyrotechnic prowess, Gibb has become somewhat respectable as a wizard in the Pathfinder Society. Taken in by priests of a temple of Sarenrae in Absalom, Gibb learned that even she could be forgiven for her transgressions and vowed to use her talents for good. On recommendations from the church, Gibb joined the Pathfinder Society, where she is known as a rambunctious yet highly skilled wizard in her own right.

Kailli Thimbleberry
Home: Absalom

Ancestry: Gnome

Background: Regarded as unfocused and undisciplined in school, the rambunctious Kailli Thimbleberry found herself in music, donning loud outfits and putting on jaunty fiddle performances to the delight and annoyance of visitors to the Merchant’s Quarter in Absalom. Wanting to discover stages the world around, Kailli took up with the Pathfinder Society in the hopes of gaining troves of adoring fans. She enjoys visiting large cities, particularly urban centers in which her deity Shelyn is worshipped, where she can aim to impress even the most discerning listeners.

Larraz Virtanne
Home: Katapesh, Katapesh

Ancestry: Half-orc

Background: Despite his parents’ best efforts, Larraz Virtanne had no intention of pursuing secondary education, preferring to further his connection with animals and practice his druidic magic. Shortly after his graduation from a small private academy in Katapesh, Larraz joined the Pathfinder Society, eager to adventure the world and see what wonders nature had to offer. An adherent of the Wind and the Waves, Larraz honors Gozreh by traveling with a horse partner, Desert Wind, and wearing a tattoo of a dripping leaf, the religious symbol of the faith.

Osprey Pierces the Tide
Home: Urglin, Varisia

Ancestry: Human

Background: The warrior-diplomat Osprey Pierces the Tide of the Shriikirri-Quah was tasked to facilitate relations with the orcs of Urglin. When necessary, Osprey Pierces the Tide’s fists become mighty weapons, and orcs who have seen his combat prowess certainly factor that into negotiations. Osprey Pierces the Tide joined the Pathfinder Society in hopes of furthering diplomatic relations between the Shoanti and the rest of the Inner Sea region. Osprey Pierces the Tide prefers to live modestly and travel lightly, preferring freedom from material triviality.

Raelyn Mumblewort
Home: Yanmass, Taldor

Ancestry: Halfling

Background: Playing the trade routes of Yanmass can be competitive indeed, and the self-made Raelyn Mumblewort dealt with the best of them. She dreamed of exploring the world in search of all manner of finery and strange trinkets, and the Pathfinder Society was just the group to throw her lot in with. Sporting a religious symbol in the shape of a key, Raelyn calls upon her deity Abadar to guide her business dealings and bless her spells when she is required to fight.

Zinno Dark Hook

Home: Absalom

Ancestry: Goblin

Background: The brash former Captain Zinno Dark Hook was captured in an ill-fated attempt to commandeer a slaver ship, after which they were shipped to Misery Row in Absalom. After escaping in a fortuitous moment, Zinno found the Grand Lodge, where they set about finding a new crew for their pirate adventures. Zinno has found a love for land- based adventuring, but they still sport their signature eye patch and wooden boot, and they honor Besmara the Pirate Queen by carrying a ragged skull-and-crossbones pennant. In combat, Zinno prefers to rely on tricks, diverting foes’ attention and making sneaky strikes with their dogslicer.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

Evni watches as you read the paperwork. Any questions? It's a lot to cover, and a sad task — especially for newer agents.

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 15 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +0 |
Active Effects:
speed 30ft | Hero Points - 0 | focus 1/1 | spells lvl 1-0/3

Veyanna is quiet during the briefing, attention half on the others in the room as they went about their preparations and half on her finger as she follows the short line between Caliphas and Goldenflame. "I know this place. People back home would mention it. A good place to travel and work with when studying. Or it was." She looks at the collection of sacks they've been provided with, then to her new teammates. "They always mention a statue of a creature called Jingh that serves Iomedae at the college. We should get it. And the local chapel in town will have the local records."

She scoops up several of the sacks to stuff into her travel pack. "We will find as many people as we can. Ours or others."

"Venture Captain, how long is this trip?"

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa stares intently while Evni speaks. How many stayed behind in Goldenflame, and what became of them?


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates
Veryanna wrote:
Venture Captain, how long is this trip?

The venture-captain traces a short route on the map with her finger. Goldenflame is a few hours’ travel southwest of Caliphas by foot. Of course, the area is swarming with undead, so you may have to take detours and navigate carefully. You don't want to get noticed, so you may have to make a detour or two from the main road. Be wary for patrols of the undead — they are almost always commanded by intelligent and perceptive watchers. Try to identify the paths the undead patrols normally take and travel elsewhere. Covering your tracks would be wise as well.

Skorpa wrote:
How many stayed behind in Goldenflame, and what became of them?

The ten missing Pathfinders on the dossier were last seen in the area. As for townsfolk, we're not sure exactly how many, but a few brave ones stayed behind out of a sense of civic duty.

Horizon Hunters

M Dwarf Barbarian 1: Spd:20, HP:25/25, AC:14, 1 Fire Resistance, Fort:8, Ref:4, Will:6, Perc:6 Darkvision, Stealth:4

That is a lot of missing Pathfinder agents, and they might not all be in one place as well.

Horizon Hunters

N Dwarf Ranger 1 | HP: 22/22 | AC 17 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +5; Fire Resist 1| Perc: +7 | Stealth: +7 | +2 Initiative | 20ft | Active Conditions: None

"Well...normally I'm scripted ter track living but, so be it." remarks Jorgran, looking over the stack of paperwork. "So...if our brethren are among the undead patrols, should we not redead them to bring back?"

"What kind of weather should we be expectin?"


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

If you can bring any Pathfinders their final peace, do so. But don’t be foolhardy. We’ve seen patrols of gargantuan beings roaming the Gravelands in search of anything living, hordes of scavengers hunting in large packs, and have even had reports of living necromancers searching for survivors.

Destroy any weak undead that stand in your way, but focus on your task: get in, do your job quickly, and and get out.

The weather, luckily, is fine. Gloomy and chilly, but nothing of note otherwise.

Grand Archive

LN Male Human (Versatile) Barbarian (1)| HP 22/22 | AC 17 | F +7 R +4 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth -1 | speed 20ft| Active Conditions: None

Dave shoulders his club and nods Ready

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Is there anything more you can tell us about the College or the town? Is there a way in or out without being noticed? If not, I'd just as soon be going.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

1/3

Veyanna seems to know more than I about the college and town than I. The chapel and the statue seem like good leads. Unfortunately, the other Pathfinders have already requisitioned the horses, and there are none to be bought or borrowed. You look around and realize that other, higher-level Pathfinders are going further afield and on much more dangerous missions — they would probably be given all the available pack animals.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

2/3

You depart Caliphas early the next the day, passing through a heavily fortified Ustalavic border crossing. The border is staffed by Knights of Lastwall, one of whom examines your documentation and then waves you through.

The day is clear and bright, but the landscape is desolate and quiet. The gently rolling hills are devoid of all life — not a bird chirps, not a lizard scurries underfoot.

The journey begins well, but of course you come across some complications.

We're going to have a series of skill challenges to see if you can save time getting to Goldenflame. There are some special mechanics here. Please read the below carefully, and let me know in the if you have any questions.

Skill Challenge Mechanics:

Group Success/Failure: Each of you must roll checks separately. Those who pass the DC will contribute to the group's overall success. There is no aiding.

The "Setup PC": To prepare for a given obstacle, a single PC can serve as the "setup PC." This PC can attempt a special check in place of their own check to overcome the obstacle. This check is harder than the other checks, but by succeeding on this check, you will not not only grants all other PCs a +2 circumstance bonus to their own checks against the obstacle, but it also counts as a success toward overcoming the obstacle. Only one PC can attempt this check. NOTE: while not as written, I am going to let you roll your checks out of order, just put the results in spoilers, and be clear about whether you are setting up or just making a check! Remember: only one person can be the setup person! Attempting the setup check is optional. Hint: It's probably best done by whoever has the highest relevant skill bonus.

Check: This is exactly what you think. Make a check to see if you crit succeed, succeed, fail, or crit fail. .

Hustle: If your PC cannot (or doesn't wish to), attempt a relevant skill check to overcome an obstacle, your PC can bypass an obstacle by using the Hustle Exploration Activity to simply take the long way around. This grants you an automatic success toward overcoming the obstacle, but you must attempt a Fortitude save. On a failure, you become fatigued and can’t use the Hustle activity again for any subsequent obstacles. (The Fatigued condition prevents you from using any Exploration activities, so you cannot Hustle again until you resolve the fatigued condition. It doesn't say the other Activities here are Exploration Activities, so I am going to say that you can make Setup or Skill checks.) Each time you Hustle after the first time, the Fortitude save increases.

Not doing anything: If a PC but refuses to attempt the obstacle’s check (or doesn’t want to Hustle), they travel at normal speed and gain an automatic critical failure for the group.

For the sake of clarity I will lay out the checks you need, and you can decide amongst yourselves how to best solve the problem. You can roll all checks yourselves — these are not secret checks.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

3/3

Up ahead you see a tall hill. The road diverts around it for miles, but you could save time if you found a path over it!

Optional Setup check skills: Scouting or Survival Lore (other lores may be applicable, such as mountain terrain lore, etc). If you succeed, you find the easiest and least treacherous way up, which will help your allies. You will also get one group success towards overcoming this goal, and your allies will all get a +2 bonus on all their checks!

Check skill: Use athletics to power yourself up and over.

Hustle: You can earn an automatic success by running around the hill, but I will also need a fortitude save.

Whew! That's a lot. Let me know if you have any questions in the discussion tab. If you want to be the Setup person, let me know and roll. For the sake of time, I will let others roll their checks under spoilers, even though technically the Setup Person should roll first. Just don't metagame, please.

You all get a hero point!

Grand Archive

LN Male Human (Versatile) Barbarian (1)| HP 22/22 | AC 17 | F +7 R +4 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth -1 | speed 20ft| Active Conditions: None

Skill Check:
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa eyes the hill, and then scopes around the area. There might be a better path. I’ll survey the area and see.
​​
​​

Skill Check:

​​Survival (Trained): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
​​

Horizon Hunters

M Dwarf Barbarian 1: Spd:20, HP:25/25, AC:14, 1 Fire Resistance, Fort:8, Ref:4, Will:6, Perc:6 Darkvision, Stealth:4

This is how it is done

check:
athletics: 7 + 1d20 ⇒ 7 + (4) = 11

Horizon Hunters

Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 15 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +0 |
Active Effects:
speed 30ft | Hero Points - 0 | focus 1/1 | spells lvl 1-0/3

Veyanna stares up at the others working their way up the rather steep hill. She glances down at herself and lets out a small sigh. "I do not mind travel. I enjoy it." Her eyes drift to the surroundings. "But this place feels wrong. And I am not built for climbing like this."

Still, the group seemed intent so she attempts to clamber up behind them, fumbling as rocks slipped and shifted beneath her feat. "I would rather... balance across... a river." The last sentence comes out buffed from effort.

Athletics Check:

Athletics(Untrained): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf (Warrior Background) Barbarian (Dragon Instinct; Gold)

Athletics check:untrained: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Jogging up from behind pants a grumpy dwarf.
Sorry I'm late, short legs made it hard to catch up, dangerous in a sprint, not made for long distance

[/ooc]In a car travelling across the country for the next couple of days will update when I can[/ooc]

Horizon Hunters

Male Dwarf (Warrior Background) Barbarian (Dragon Instinct; Gold)

crap, sorry just double checked my sheet that athletics roll should be at +7 not +1 and is trained.

Dark Archive

Botting Jorgran Ghildruk.

Athletics(Trained): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

1/2

Spoiler:

Medium Dave: 1 Success
Skorpa (setup): Failure
Mandower Steel Strong 2: Failure
Veyanna: Critical Failure
Dargon: Success
Jorgran: Failure
--
2 successes, 5 failures

Unfortunately, you not only make slow progress, but waste time cresting the hill. Veyanna has a particularly difficult time. While dome of you are suited to this task, luck doesn't just seem to be on your side.


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

2/2

Far out on the horizon you see a gargantuan skeleton; the bones and skulls of countless smaller creatures dribble from it joints. It's accompanied by several dozen humanoids who run on all fours; their pallid undead flesh is stretched tightly over their starved frames. They are moving towards your location, although they don't seem to have spotted you yet.

This is exactly the kind of enemy you were told to avoid!

Avoid Powerful Undead Troops

Optional Setup check skills: One of you may attempt a Deception check to divert the undeads’ attention elsewhere. Success will grant the other PCs a +2 circumstance bonus to their Stealth checks.

Skill Check: Use stealth to quietly skirt the troops without kicking up dust or shaking the grasses.

Hustle: You can earn an automatic success by running around the hill, but I will also need a fortitude save to see if you get fatigued.

I am willing to be sold on other applicable skills too, such as appropriate Lore skills.

Horizon Hunters

N Dwarf Ranger 1 | HP: 22/22 | AC 17 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +5; Fire Resist 1| Perc: +7 | Stealth: +7 | +2 Initiative | 20ft | Active Conditions: None

Pointing to the monstrous creature, Jorgran puts a finger to his lips. "I think we'd be best to sneak around them. They look rather formidable."

Stealth(Trained): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Well...that's unfortunate

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 15 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +0 |
Active Effects:
speed 30ft | Hero Points - 0 | focus 1/1 | spells lvl 1-0/3

Veyanna considers the creatures Jorgran has pointed out, then after some consideration she nods. "I don't sneak. Everyone go ahead. I shall give them a merry chase." And before anyone can try to protest she's off in the other direction, pulling out flint and tinder as she goes.

When she's well away from the group she intends to set a small portion of the forest on fire. The dying life needed a chance to start over and the smoke would hopefully lure the undead the entirely wrong way.

Set-up Check:

Deception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Hero Point: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 Because the dice roller HATES me with these 2's!


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

Veyanna hears an unearthly horn alert the creatures on the plain, and the undead race towards the forest fire! It seems like even the less stealthy of you will have an easier time making progress, thanks to this diversion.

Since you came up with a neat solution using your gear, I will add a circumstance bonus to your roll, turning it into a critical success! This means that the group gets TWO successes for your one action, in addition to a +2 bonus to their stealth checks; nicely done.

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa smiles as he sees the creatures turn and whispers quietly, ”Very clever, Veyanna.” He continues on, slowly and deliberately.

Stealth (Untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Horizon Hunters

M Dwarf Barbarian 1: Spd:20, HP:25/25, AC:14, 1 Fire Resistance, Fort:8, Ref:4, Will:6, Perc:6 Darkvision, Stealth:4

Mandower will hustle around the Hill fort: 8 + 1d20 ⇒ 8 + (10) = 18

Grand Archive

LN Male Human (Versatile) Barbarian (1)| HP 22/22 | AC 17 | F +7 R +4 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth -1 | speed 20ft| Active Conditions: None

Dave jogs around the hill. He trusts in his years of hard farm labour to stop him being tired on the other side.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Horizon Hunters

Male Dwarf (Warrior Background) Barbarian (Dragon Instinct; Gold)

Well if we must avoid a fight...

Stealth (Trained):Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

Spoiler:

Medium Dave: Success (hustling can't critically succeed)
Skorpa: Failure (so close!)
Mandower Steel Strong 2: Success
Veyanna (setup): Critical Success
Dargon: Success
Jorgran: Failure
--
5 Successes

What your group lacks in sheer strength they make up in cunning and stealth. The undead troops take the bait, and you listen with a sense of deep satisfaction as the horrific creatures howl in frustration.

Still, it's best to keep moving quickly — and you're almost there! However, your detour has taken you off the road and into a part of the plain that's thick with undergrowth. It will be very difficult and time consuming to push through this area, but perhaps someone trained in Nature or Survival can find the best way through. Of course, failing that you can always cut your way through, or try to slip through the brambles.

Get through the Undergrowth

Optional Setup check skills: Nature, Survival, or appropriate Lore to identify areas where the undergrowth isn’t as thick. this will grant everyone else a +2 circumstance bonus to their attack rolls and Acrobatics checks.

Skill Check: You can hack through with a slashing weapon by making a melee attack roll. If you're more subtle than that, you can nimbly maneuver through the narrow spaces using Acrobatics.

Hustle: You can earn an automatic success by running through the undergrowth, but I will also need a Fortitude save to see if you get fatigued. Mandower Steel Strong 2 and Medium Dave both Hustled last round, so they will have a more difficult fort save to make if they choose to do so this time.

Horizon Hunters

M Dwarf Barbarian 1: Spd:20, HP:25/25, AC:14, 1 Fire Resistance, Fort:8, Ref:4, Will:6, Perc:6 Darkvision, Stealth:4

Mandower will continue to hustle fort: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Horizon Hunters

Female Elf Sorcerer 1 | HP 13/13 | AC 15 | F +4 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +0 |
Active Effects:
speed 30ft | Hero Points - 0 | focus 1/1 | spells lvl 1-0/3

Veyanna returns to the group a short time later. She arrives slightly winded, though there's a slight change to her expression that suggests she's pretty pleased with the sounds she's hearing off in the distance. "That worked well. We have some time, but why have we stopped?" Her eyes fall on the collecting undergrowth in front of them. "It's just undergrowth. Like walking through the Mwangi. Just watch your step and twist around branches."

And to prove her point she starts trying to stride through the growth, taking high steps where necessary and contorting around snagging plants to avoid tearing her clothes or worse, her skin.

Set-up Check:
Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Grand Archive

LN Male Human (Versatile) Barbarian (1)| HP 22/22 | AC 17 | F +7 R +4 W +6 | Perc +6 | Stealth -1 | speed 20ft| Active Conditions: None

Lacking a slashing weapon or any sort of acrobatic ability Dave will instead hustle again

Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa pulls out his sword and starts hacking a path through the undergrowth.

Longsword: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Dark Archive

Botting Dargon Blackrock.

Greataxe+7, setup bonus: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 7 + 2 = 15


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

You overcome this last obstacle, saving some time, but Medium Dave is fatigued from his extertions. This means you cannot use Exploration Mode activities and you take a -1 status penalty to AC and saving thrown until you get a full night's rest.

You enter Goldenflame from the northeast. Apart from the slight breeze, the town is still and quiet. The buildings here seem mostly intact, with only a few signs of disuse: cracked gutters, dry and decaying flower beds, weeds growing against flaking walls. A crumbling fountain stands in the middle of the plaza, dry as a dusty bone.

A creature that was once a horse lurks near the fountain in the center of the square, walking back and forth erratically. As you enter, it snorts and lets out a rasping whinny from a rotting gash in its throat! At the signal, three rotting corpses shamble into view!

No one seems to have filled out their marching order on the slides, so I put you where you are on the map. If you are not happy with this, please adjust your marching order on the slides for the next time! Dargon, I used a placeholder image for your PC.

Dargon: please finish filling out your character sheet. I assume you are a fighter (there is no warrior class in PF2), which means you're an expert in perception so you get a +7 bonus on initiative after 14 wisdom. Please confirm this when you log in.

Spoiler:

Dargon, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Jorgran Ghildruk, Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Mandower Steel Strong 2, Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Medium Dave, Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Skorpa, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Veyanna, Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Horsie: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Shamblin': 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12

Round One: Bold is up! Slide is updated. Let me know if you have problems seeing the tokens… big map :) Art for the creatures is on slide 2.

Skorpa
Horsie
Medium Dave Fatigued
Dargon
Veyanna
Jorgran Ghildruk
Mandower Steel Strong 2
Shamblin'

You can use an Action to make a Religion check to ID the horse, or the humanoids. I will roll it for you — just let me know!

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa eyes the undead horse, studying it.

Skorpa uses his first action to designate the horse as his Prey.

Skopra draws his shortbow, notches an arrow and looses it.

Shortbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Piercing Damage, if Deadly : 1d8 ⇒ 21d10 ⇒ 2


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

You can all have had your weapons out while approaching this place, so you don't need to use an action to draw your weapon. Feel free to take another action!

Horizon Hunters

Male Human Ranger | HP 20/20 | AC: 18 | F: +7 R: +7 W: +5

Skorpa takes aim again, and fires off another arrow.

Shortbow, Strike 2 : 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Shortbow Damage, Piercing, if Deadly : 1d8 ⇒ 41d10 ⇒ 5


The Fall of the Plaguestone| Spell Templates

Although the horse doesn't seem very nimble, Skorpa's arrows fly wide. The horse rasps another whinny as it Strides once towards the nearest living flesh, biting Jorgan!

Bite: 1d20 ⇒ 8 that's a hit.

Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Those of you within ten feet of the horse can smell a putrid stench, like rotting flesh. Jorgan's fresh wounds, exposed to the air near the horse, begin to fester. Jorgan, I will need a fort save at the beginning of your turn please.

Round One: Bold is up!

Skorpa
Horsie
Medium Dave Fatigued
Dargon
Veyanna
Jorgran Ghildruk -7 HP, need a fortitude save
Mandower Steel Strong 2
Shamblin'

1 to 50 of 263 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug — Escaping the Grave [Gameday VIII PFS2] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.