Gameday VIII GMAdrian's #1–03: Escaping the Grave (closed)

Game Master Adrian Ng


1 to 50 of 223 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

One foot in the Gravelands.

Dot in as you will!

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

Following the instruction of a letter from Venture-Captain Evni Zongnoss, formerly of Vigil, you have made your way to the Vodavani Lodge in Caliphas, the capital of Ustalav. The streets are a quagmire of uncertain crowds, as if comprised of many visitors or new arrivals. The Vodavani Lodge looms, its eerie spires and oppressive stonework perhaps betraying a more sinister past. However, you know this building to be the Pathfinder lodge of Caliphas, so you enter.

When you enter the foreboding double door, you find a spacious grand hall packed with people, the sound of a thousand conversations in a thousand languages echoing through the vaulted space. Groups are seated in various gathering places around the hall, discussing missions and tallying their supplies. One group from a nearby seating area get up, strapping on their packs and ensuring all their accouterments are securely attached. They nod and smile in acknowledgement at the new arrival as they exit the hall, leaving newly freed couches and chairs in their wake.

Feel free to introduce your characters, all! We'll begin for real tomorrow.

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

A young dwarf wearing the simple clothes of a farmhand underneath his battered, second-hand breastplate sets down his pack and the large fencepost he was carrying. Taking a seat, he looks around for someone that seems to know what's going on.

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

A bright-eyed gnome walks through the lodge, turning her head to listen to all the conversations going on around her. Most of them she doesn't understand yet, but the conversations in Varisian are fun to listen in on. She admires the spacious grand hall, and steps around a number of tall people until she finds the dwarf sitting by himself with the fence post.

Society (Significance of Fence Posts in Dwarven Cultures): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

"Hello good dwarf. Is the seat beside you taken? My name is Pip Hip Hooray, and I'll be your legal counsel today. Or perhaps just your Pathfinder teammate. They weren't quite clear on what they wanted when they summoned me here today." She holds out her hand in greeting, and then she pauses. "How long have you been carrying that fence post?"

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

A half elf enters the lodge and looks around. If it weren’t for the eyes, you could have easily mistaken him for an elf. He has the angular build, pointed ears and wide eyes of an elf but the pupils give away his human lineage. His clothes are study and well made. He wears studded leather armor, has a short bow slung across his back and a rapier at his waist.

Seeing a mostly empty table, he heads towards the dwarf and gnome seated there.

With a flourish, he says “Greetings! I am Salliss. Do either of you know where I am supposed to check in? I was instructed to report here, but this is my first time at this lodge.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"Huh? Oh, this. Well, there weren't much in the way o' weapons on the farm, but ah've found this'n's pretty good't teachin' critters who's boss." AKA a fencepost seems like a pretty good comp for a greatclub.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Briefly glancing at the post, Salliss remarks “Wouldn’t work with my fighting style, but it looks sturdy enough.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"T'be honest, ah mostly forget ah have it when ah get angry 'nough."

Paizo Employee

2 people marked this as a favorite.
CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |

As the party chats, they might notice an elderly man in a simple suit scurrying from group to group, repeating the same question in a tinny, increasingly agitated tone:
"Excuse me, are you Evni Zongnoss?"
"Excuse me, are you Evni Zongnoss?"
"Evni Zongnoss??"

He finally makes it to the table where the group is gathered. Eyeing each person, he finally turns to Tarbh. "Excuse me..."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Deception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Pointing to Pip, Salliss says “She is!

He manages to keep a straight face as he says this.

Envoy's Alliance

820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Pip looks up, alarmed at Saliss's finger pointing at her nose. "I'm what?!"

Trying to play back the conversation of the last few minutes, she says, "Er... when you said Evni Zongnoss, were you trying to say, 'Envoy's Alliance?'"

Maybe the poor old dear has a speech impediment...

She offers an arm to the elderly fellow. "Can I help you? You do look stressed."

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

A cheerful half-orc joins the group! She wears splint mail armor and has an ornate shield. Her hands are calloused and seem to be permanently discolored with soot and ash worked deep into the rough skin. Her smile shines even brighter than her armor.

"I'm Trildyn Kingslake, and I'm so glad to meet you! This is my first real assignment, but I just know we're going to make a great team!"

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Well, so much for that bit of fun. Guess this gnome isn’t that sort of impromptu prankster.

Turning towards the new arrival, the half elf extends his hand in greetings and smiles as he says “Welcome, Trildyn! I’m Sallis.

With a wry smile, he asks “Did you get a letter from Venture Captain Evni Zongnoss as well?

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

"I sure did! It said to come here. I've never been to Ustalav before. It's a little dreary, isn't it? The stonework is sure beautiful, though. I always admire good artistry!"

Trildyn looks up approvingly at the ceiling of the grand hall that you're in.

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

"Oh, I thought I heard my name! Coming, coming!" the voice pipes from somewhere in the hall. Emerging from the throngs of people is a harried gnome clad in a blue turban and matching robe decorated with golden crescent moons and butterflies. On her back is a massive backpack sporting similar iconography, and she carries a large parchment in her arms. She scurries over to you and issues a warm smile. “Greetings, young ones. I am Venture-Captain Evni Zongnoss. I'm guessing you've all received a summons from me requesting your presence here. Thank you for showing up!"

Evni rolls out a map of Avistan. Aside from the typical map markings, a miniature flag pinned to the map is partly obscuring the label “Lastwall.” “Apologies for the out-of-date cartography, but it’s the best we can do at this time. The re-emergence of Tar-Baphon dealt a devastating blow to the Society, so we’ve been scrambling to consolidate resources. The Society is focusing on missions into the Gravelands for two reasons: to track down the whereabouts of Pathfinder agents who went missing when the undead hordes struck, and to recover the fragments of history and culture that yet survive. Your destination should have been assigned to you in my letter, if you may."

After she is offered a letter, Evni smiles in thanks, then fishes a stack of papers from her pack and places them on the table. She points to a small label on the map that reads "Goldenflame."

"Goldenflame College is known for its documentation of the history of both southeastern Lastwall and the activities of the church of Iomedae in the region, as well as its collection of invaluable local curiosities accrued over time. Those relics and stories—if they can be recovered, then Lastwall can live on.”

Gesturing at the stack of papers, she continues. “These dossiers contain information on all known Pathfinder agents in the region surrounding Goldenflame. Although we must hold out hope, I cannot truthfully say I am optimistic. Nevertheless, closure is important, and we can properly mourn for their loss and celebrate their lives if we know their fates. Perhaps these documents could be of some use to you in this quest. I’ve also completed and signed travel documentation stating your reasons for being in the Gravelands. Present this document to the border crossing, and you can then be on your way.

"Oh, and take these as well!" Evni shoves her arm shoulder deep into the pack and pulls out a bundle of sacks. “Here. These are for you to transport any items or—” she bows her head “—remains you might find. I know it is a sad and gruesome task, but retrieving those fallen Pathfinders would bring closure to their loved ones.”

Evni then closes her satchel and reshoulders it. “I’m also heading into the Gravelands myself. May Desna guide us all on our journeys. Hopefully we can find what we seek. Do you all have any questions for me before we depart?”

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn looks a bit more somber at the nature of the mission. "Well, gosh, I know if something happened to me, it would mean everything to my parents to get closure. This is a very important assignment."

She looks through the dossiers.

"Oh, are there specific objects or books that you want us to look for?"

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

Evni nods in agreement with Trildyn. "“Be on the lookout for any religious texts and historical records; hopefully the troops of Tar-Baphon have overlooked them. You might also find items of cultural or religious significance to the town as well—even those seeming mundanities that might serve as the last memories of that place."

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

Dossiers are up in the slides and can be found here! While you're there, please also fill out the Perception rolls.

If you'd like to try to Recall some Knowledge about Goldenflame, let me know and post your Society modifier as well.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"What's the country like 'round here, anyway? What're we likely to run into?"

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

As he reads through the dossiers, Salliss says “Could you tell us more about the border crossing? Who patrols the border?

Society +7 T

Paizo Employee

3 people marked this as a favorite.
CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |

Tarafi's expression changes from relief to confusion to dismay as he processes Salliss's trick. He pointedly turns away from the half-elf and listens attentively to the real Evni.

He perks up especially when she mentions lost relics and information, involuntarily muttering affirmations, and he tuts sadly when she speaks of the likely dead.

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

Evni begins by addressing Tarbh's query. "Most everything living has been eradicated or pushed into hiding in those lands. Undead troops roam the lands with some regularity; I advise avoiding conflict when you can, lest you attract the attentions of reinforcements. The lands in between here and Goldenflame can be a bit rugged in places, so you'd best be ready to navigate them with both care and speed."

She then turns to Salliss. "The Ustalavan military has been maintaining regular border patrols and crossings to watch for any incursions as well as to prevent careless or reckless citizens from wandering into undead lands. The border near Caliphas—given both the city's population and proximity to Gravelands—is heavily fortified with support from the Knights of Lastwall. Although they might seem intimidating, as long as you have the proper paperwork, they'll allow you through without issue."

Envoy's Alliance

820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Pip studies the dossiers. "So many Pathfinders -- dead or stranded... We need to bring them back if we can!" She pauses. "Do you know of any preparations we can bring to defend ourselves against undead?"

Pip would like to take "Society" with a +7 bonus, please! Feel free to use the rolls in her botting spoiler!"

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

Evni cocks her head in thought, then responds. "The undead are numerous and unrelenting. The blessings of goodly deities are always useful in times as these, and holy water certainly wouldn't hurt. But to me, one of the best defenses is speed—if you can make a hasty journey there and back, you would surely minimize your chances of being cornered. Perhaps most importantly, trust in your allies. As long as you work together, I believe you will be just fine," she says with a reassuring smile.

Evni points out the route to Goldenflame on the map, which is a relatively straightforward path southwest from Caliphas that according to the map's scale will take a few hours by foot, with an estimated arrival to the town of sometime in the early afternoon.

"Now, I believe we all must be on our ways. The road to Goldenflame is direct but may be treacherous. I wish you the best." Evni nods, then heads out the main entrance.

Pip and Salliss try to recall any knowledge they could have regarding the town of Lastwall. Salliss seems to not have come across any mention of the town, but Pip recalls—perhaps from research into historical records concerning Lastwall—that Goldenflame's main chapel functioned not only as a religious institution but also the town hall, which kept census records and documentation on important events in the town's history.

If you're ready to go, it's off to Goldenflame! If you'd like to make any purchases before you go, feel free to do so now. We'll head out next post.

GM:
Pip Hip Hooray: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Salliss: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Sallis calls on his society contacts to get a minor healing potion before leaving. Pathfinder Training consumable.

He tells the others "My main skills are in scouting. If we get into a situation where it would be useful to sneak past an obstacle, please follow my lead. I have training in helping guide others so as to minimize the chances of detection."

With a wry smile, he adds "I have also made a study of the various magical fields. I can sometimes recognize what spells are being used only have the most rudimentary ability to perform wizardry."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn had intended to get a minor healing potion and a potency crystal from the School of Swords, but she trades out the potency crystal for a holy water.

"Our mission is important. I know Torag will guide us."

Paizo Employee

3 people marked this as a favorite.
CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |

Tarafi, having leaned forward to absorb everything the gnome was saying, straightens up and nervously adjusts his simple tie.

”Thank you, Evni. I will accompany these sprouts and ensure that any important documents and artifacts are kept safe.”

At Sallis’s comment about studying magic, Tyus lets out a loud, involuntary guffaw, immediately turns beet red, and busies himself straightening his things.

No shopping for me!

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Not insulted in the least when Tarafi laughs at his statement, Salliss smiles and says “I’m not making any grand claims of mastery, only that I have learned the very basics.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"That's a good idear, Trildyn." Tarbh will also grab a holy water from scrolls, along with a healing potion.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Ever curious, Salliss inspects one of the sacks Evni provided the group.

My heritage gives me Detect Magic as an Arcane Innate spell. Use it to determine if the bag is magical. If it is and he has the 10 minutes required, he would attempt to identify magic item. My Botting area contains all the skills with dice expressions.

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

The investigatorial Salliss finds a suitably isolated space to test the sacks, casts detect magic, and finds no presence of magic. It seems that the sacks are just plain old sacks.

I forgot to mention, but Evni gave you 10 sacks all together. I'll have a post getting us underway later this evening.

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

You exit the Vodavani Lodge and make your way through the bustling streets of Caliphas, enduring the occasional, accidental shoves and terse admonishments of passersby. Eventually, you find your way to a heavily fortified guard post, staffed by many heavily armored soliders, some clad in pristine white cloth and shining gold armor. A particularly gruff-looking soldier—perhaps an officer of some kind—motions for your permit to enter the Gravelands; after she receives your documentation, she waves you on through the gate.

It is early in the day. The skies are clear and the sun bright, but the landscape is desolate and quiet, the gently rolling hills devoid of life. You continue southwest, along the route Evni described to you, following dusty roads and cutting across gently sloping hills.

As you continue, the terrain begins to get rougher, and soon you encounter a massive, steep rise blocking the most direct path through the area. Around its base snake suggestions of worn paths through the prairie grass, suggesting most travelers opted to take the long route.

This part of the adventure features a few common elements to overcome the challenge ahead of you. Your goal is to gain at least three successes to overcome the obstacle; failure at doing so means you lose time. I'll present a skill check that each of you can attempt for this purpose, although I'll allow you to attempt other relevant skill checks or creative solutions. This skill check represents your efforts in navigating an obstacle as well as your efforts in helping your allies do so. In addition, one of you can forgo this skill check and instead attempt a setup check, which represents a task that helps out your allies; this check does not count toward your success count, but a successful setup check will grant your allies a +2 circumstance bonus to their normal checks during an obstacle.

Alternatively, you can use the Hustle exploration activity to undertake a more circuitous solution (in this first case, you could just Hustle around the hilly terrain along the long road). Anyone who elects to do so gains an automatic success toward overcoming the obstacle, but if you do, you must attempt a DC 18 Fortitude save. If you fail, you become fatigued and can't Hustle for any further obstacles during this part of the adventure.

Due to the nature of play by post, I ask that you spoiler your rolls so that we don't have to wait for a setup PC to make their roll before everyone else can. Just trying that out; if anyone has better ideas, let me know and I'm happy to adapt!

For the hilly terrain, each of you can attempt a DC 15 Athletics check to power yourself up and over the hills, helping allies as necessary. A setup PC can attempt a DC 17 Scouting Lore or Survival check or a DC 19 Perception check to find an efficient path.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Spoiler:
Athletics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 T [/dice]

I’m going to try to go up and over!” Salliss announces as he starts to climb the hill. He does his best to weave his way over the rocky terrain.

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn exhales and then starts climbing the hill, grasping for handholds wherever possible.

Spoiler:
Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---
Tarafi wrote:
No shopping for me!

Tarafi, do you know about Pathfinder Training from the PF2 Org Play Guide? It opens up free survival items from your faction.

★ ---- ★ ---- ★ ---- ★

Pip attempts to help set up her friends for success, using her knowledge to find an excellent path. "I think it might be this way!"

Find the Path?:

Bardic Lore (Scouting Lore): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

If that is not allowed, then Pip will try Perception.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Escaping the Grave

That is fine by me, Pip!

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Tarbh grunts and follows Trildyn up the hill.

Spoiler:
Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Paizo Employee

CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |
Pip Hip Hooray wrote:
Tarafi, do you know about Pathfinder Training from the PF2 Org Play Guide? It opens up free survival items from your faction.

I did not, thanks! I’ll grab holy water and a minor healing potion.

Tarafi scurries behind the much fitter group—who obviously don’t spend all their time in libraries—trying to interject with suggestions that he increasingly feels are being ignored.

"Very well! I’ll meet you on the other side!" Tarafi walks off in a bit of a huff.

Hustling around...

Spoiler:
Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Escaping the Grave

Pip's impeccable knowledge of terrain allows her to puzzle out a clever, hard-to-spot path weaving up the slope. She and Salliss, Trildyn, and Tarbh crest the hill, the trio following Pip's advice and effortlessly pulling the barrister up and over the crags and crests.

In the meanwhile, Tarafi the grouch sets out following the well-trod path snaking its way along the bases of the hills. He tries to maintain his composure, but his ill-advised pace and the heat and humidity get the best of him.

As Pip, Salliss, Trildyn, and Tarbh effortlessly descend the hill, they spot a ragged Tarafi splayed on the ground, tie askew and suit soaked in sweat.

Tarafi, you are now fatigued! You take a –1 penalty to AC and saves, and you cannot Hustle again. You can still attempt the other checks, though.

After some consoling and pep talk, the group gets going again. Passing through the remains of Lastwall, you spot vignettes of past lives: lonely cottages dark and overgrown, fields withered and barren, abandoned wagons devoid of possessions.

You cross a wide field, with low hills cresting to the south. All of a sudden, from the northeast, you spot a procession of what seems to be soldiers, at least two hundred strong, ragged banners fluttering in the wind and the clanking of loosely held metal weapons against bare bone. The undead troop hasn't noticed you yet, but their trajectory indicates they will soon!

If you'd like to try to sneak past the troop, you can try to skirt them through the hills by succeeding at a DC 15 Stealth check. A setup PC can try to cause a diversion by succeeding at a DC 17 Deception check. If you want to try another plan, let me know, and everyone but Tarafi can Hustle, if you'd like.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

I think we can sneak past, if people will follow my lead.” Salliss quietly advises.

Quiet Allies and Follow the Expert:

Salliss has the feat Quiet Allies, which allows the whole group to use the results of a single stealth check.

——
Quiet Allies, CRB pg. 265

You're skilled at moving with a group. When you are Avoiding Notice and your allies Follow the Expert, you and those allies can roll a single Stealth check, using the lowest modifier, instead of rolling separately. This doesn't apply for initiative rolls.

Follow the Expert, CRB pg. 479

Choose an ally attempting a recurring skill check while exploring, such as climbing, or performing a different exploration tactic that requires a skill check (like Avoiding Notice). The ally must be at least an expert in that skill and must be willing to provide assistance. While Following the Expert, you match their tactic or attempt similar skill checks. Thanks to your ally's assistance, you can add your level as a proficiency bonus to the associated skill check, even if you're untrained. Additionally, you gain a circumstance bonus to your skill check based on your ally's proficiency (+2 for expert, +3 for master, and +4 for legendary).

——

So we would need to figure out who had the worst Stealth bonus adding their their level and a +2 circumstance bonus to the check. One check with the lowest value.

I think the lowest would be +1 Dex +1 Level +2 circumstance = +4.

A diversion would still be nice if someone thinks they can pull it off.

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Pip sighs as she sees the worn-out Tarafi. She offers a hand to the elderly gentleman. "Your legs are too long for my riding dog, but you probably could fit just fine on Saliss's packmule. Do you want to try it?"

Meanwhile she says, "Let me help with a diversion! Gnomes are excellent when it comes to trickery!"

Using her primal magic cantrip, she causes vines to rustle near the undead troop in order to cause them to stop and investigate!

Pip's Diversion:

Deception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Tarbh would be greatful for the assistance, as I suspect he might be the worst at Stealth, and I'm reluctant to risk becoming fatigued (which would stop him from raging). He is untrained with +1 dex, so that +4 would be him in this situation.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

There are multiple people that have just +1 Dex and +1 Level. I wasn’t going to name names.

So who wants to make the group roll? I’m guessing this changes the mechanics to all or nothing rather than trying for 3 successes.

Off the top of my head, I am not sure which gives the better odds, a single roll using Quiet Allies or multiple trying for three successes. We could do Follow the Expert either way.
Combinational probabilities where it is 3 of 5 get messy to figure, but my guess is that would be lower odds of success.

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn is tied for Stealth with Tarbh, at a mere +1. Fatigue doesn’t hurt her as badly though, so she can hustle if we don’t think we have the skills to succeed otherwise.

Dark Archive

Escaping the Grave

Yes, if you use Quiet Allies, you'd need just the one success. I believe the bonus from Follow the Expert and the distraction bonus would not stack, since they're both circumstance bonuses.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Ouch! Well, that pulls the odds of success down. Might as well do the roll and people can choose to be part of the Quiet Allies or just using Follow the Expert and rolling for themselves.

Sallis visually checks his allies over, trying to estimate who might have the most difficulty. He then moves ahead, signaling those following where and when to move so as to have the best chance of avoiding notice.

Quiet Allies check:
Stealth, Quiet Allies: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 + 2 = 15

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn follows as part of Quiet Allies.

Trildyn stays right behind Saliss, trying to step exactly where he steps.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 3/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Tarbh follows closely behind. Also joining the Quiet Allies.

1 to 50 of 223 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameday VIII GMAdrian's #1–03: Escaping the Grave (closed) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.