Gameday VIII GMAdrian's #1–03: Escaping the Grave (closed)

Game Master Adrian Ng


101 to 150 of 213 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

With a nod, Salliss joins the gnome and heads towards the chapel.

Once there, he gestures towards the shelves and says “How about you concentrate on finding the historical texts while I go through the religious ones?

Investigate:
Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 +1 from seer Elf if they are magical

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

"But... I want to look at all the books!" Pip looks at the historical texts, and if time allows, peeks at the religious ones.

Investigate:

Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Bardic Lore: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

With a shrug, Sallis says “Depends on what else we find. If time allows, I have no objections.

Envoy's Alliance

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Seeing his allies pair up and head to two different locations, Tarbh shrugs and heads by himself for the general store, secretly hoping he might find something to eat.

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

"I'm not sure, Tarafi. Everything certainly seems to be gone." Trildyn examines whatever is still left at the armory. Is there an appropriate check here?

Paizo Employee

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |
Trildyn Kingslake wrote:
Oh, you can still go to the chapel! I figured it would save tome to search a couple of locations in parallel.

Totally—Tarafi just got spooked and wanted to tag along with whomever seemed confident. Also, clever pun re: "save tome" ;D

Tarafi tries to stand in the least dusty spot while he affirms Trildyn's examinations. "Yes, that is an excellent crate to check; there could indeed be something in it."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Ha ha, that was a typo, or else my phone has graduated to puns.

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Salliss and Pip search the shelves of the chapel, uncovering census records and historical documents detailing the history of the town’s inhabitants and notable events in the town’s history, including festivals, feasts, and the like. As they search, Salliss finds a small corpse—charred, broken, and its features mostly burned away—resting against the pew. The corpse is covered in a layer of fine ash and scraps of charred fabric that seem to be all that remains of the clothing it once wore. Around its neck is a soot-covered chain bearing an ankh. Pip's perceptive eye spots lying underneath a pew a charred wayfinder.

The following checks can be attempted by anyone who goes to the chapel and wants to investigate this corpse. If you would like to investigate the body, you can spend your next round doing so. You can attempt one of the following checks, and if you succeed, you learn something about the body. The following three checks can be attempted by anyone who goes to the chapel to examine the body.

DC 15 Arcana or Nature to examine the scorch marks:
The flames are of magical nature and seem to have radiated out from the body.

DC 13 Medicine or DC 15 Perception to investigate the body more closely:
Although the body is fairly damaged, you notice it bears a large oblong head—a signature feature of goblins.

DC 13 Religion to recognize the ankh:
This is a partly melted religious symbol of Sarenrae. I don't think anyone in this party is a Sarenite, but if you are, you succeed automatically and can instead take another course of action this round.

@Trildyn, if you're just generally Searching an area, it's a secret Perception check. I've been rolling them, but we can pivot to everyone rolling their own secret checks in a spoiler if that makes things go more smoothly.

Tarafi and Trildyn find nothing in the armory except for dust. However, as Trildyn passes by a window, she sees a gray horse head staring intently into the armory—unlike the previous, this one seems alive!

If You Want to Go to the Horse:

Clad in barding featuring green and gold caparisons and bearing leather saddlebags, the gray horse lingers on the fringes of Goldenflame. Considering the circumstances, it looks healthy and strong. However, as you approach, it backs away in distrust, puffing quick jets of air in displeased snorts, but it does not run. Interacting with the horse generally will take a round, but I might allow you to do multiple short related activities depending on what you'd like to do.

In the meantime, Tarbh walks over to the general store. The dank inside is faintly lit by the sunlight outside, and the store has a most peculiar odor. As Tarbh begins inspecting shelves, he comes across a large, foul patch of moldy food, and before he can react, the stinking mold shoots out a gout of spores!

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Tarbh gets a faceful of the spores, and they fill his lungs, forcing from him a pained cough!

Poison Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6 You are now drained 1!

Second Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 8 - 1 = 24

However, Tarbh manages to cough out the spores. He feels better, but still a bit weak from the inhalation. On the bright side, after searching the rest of the store—careful to avoid any further mold—he finds a full bag of rolled oats that seem to be intact.

GM:

Salliss: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 +1 circumstance Trap Finder
Pip Hip Hooray: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Tarbh: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Trildyn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Tarafi: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn definitely walks up to the horse!

"Hello, there. You look like a good horse. Who did you belong to?"

She approaches carefully and slowly trying to get a good look at the horse.

"Tarafi, are you any good with animals?"

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Coughing and sputtering, Tarbh steps back out into the fresh air and takes a deep breath. He goes off to look for others, to warn them about the mold. He does a double-take when he sees Trildyn heading off toward a horse and, hefting the bag of oats in his hands, heads off to join her. "Hey horse, want some chow?"

Wrangling an animal sounds more appealing to this farmhand than searching more nasty, moldy spots.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Sallis sets aside the records he thinks are most valuable — including the census and records of festivals. When he finds the corpse, he quickly calls Pip over as well.

When Pip finds the wayfinder, he asks “Any inscription?

He carefully examines the scorch marks, hoping for a clue as to how the person died. Shaking his head, he says “Can’t tell what caused the scorch marks. Unless you know, we may need to have Tarafi look at this.
Arcana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Checking his notes, he points out “Gibb did fire magic, this might be them.

Envoy's Alliance

820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Pip's nature check comes up cold, but she does look the Wayfinder over for an inscription. "It would be nice to get a name!"

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Think it is time to call in the others then.

Going to the door, Sallis looks around. Provided he sees no immediate signs of danger, he calls out “We found a body. Tarafi, if you aren’t busy there is something we would like you to look at!

Looking back at the body, he adds “If someone is really good at medicine, they may want to have a look as well!

Just to make sure I’ve interpreted the directions correctly, identifying the Ankh also takes a full exploration turn correct?

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

@Salliss Correct. It's sort of an abstraction of the process of discovering the body and noticing the initial details.

Salliss examines the scorch marks carefully, but conclusion eludes him. Pip also can't quite make out the details of the body, nor does she notice any name inscribed on the wayfinder.

Botting Tarafi, who is at a con!
Hearing Salliss call him over, Tarafi scampers to the chapel. He kneels down, examining the body and noting the various details.

Arcana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Tarafi nods sagely. "Erm, yes! It seems the flames that caused these marks were magical—most assuredly the result of a spell cast by this poor soul."

Tarbh and Trildyn: With the oats, you can attempt Diplomacy checks to improve the horse's attitude toward you! The bag is full, so there's enough to go around for whoever would like to try. Trildyn and Tarbh, you still have your turn for this round, which you could use for horse-related checks. Tarbh, due to your background, you get a +2 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy and Nature checks with the horse.

GM:
180

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

"Nice horse....good horse...can we get close to see your barding? Someone must have cared about you a lot."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"Woah, there, horsey. Y'ain't likely to find many other friendly, livin' folk 'round here, so how 'bout ya play nice, huh? Here, I gotcha some oats!"

Diplomacy, background: 1d20 + 0 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 0 + 2 = 22

"Where'd you come from, 'nyway?" Tarbh says, admiring the animal as it eats. "Who brought a fine horse like you out here?"

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

The horse gives Trildyn the side eye as it passes her toward Tarbh. It nickers softly, then moves to gently eat the oats. The horse, however, stays calm as Trildyn and Tarbh examine its saddle, saddlebags, and barding.

The horse's barding features a large engraving of the Glyph of the Open Road and gold-and-green caparisons. The saddle is engraved with the name "Desert Wind" on the sides and a smaller etching reading "Property of Larraz Virtanne." One saddlebag is empty, but the other contains two minor healing potions.

DC 12 Society:
You recognize the caparisons as common horsewear of horses from Katapesh.

Tarbh, due to your critical success on the Diplomacy check, Desert Wind is now helpful to you, so you get a degree of success one better on your checks to Command Desert Wind. Everyone is up!

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"Desert Wind, huh? That's a good name fer a horse. Where's yer buddy Larraz, though?" Tarbh checks the horse over, looking for any wounds, then looks through the saddlebags. "Well, I bet good ol' Larraz won't mind, huh?" Tarbh pops the cap off one of the minor healing potions and quickly chugs it down, putting the empty bottle back in the saddlebag and the other potion in his pocket. Still down from the first fight.

healing: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"How 'bout we take you over to that nice-lookin' paddock over there whilest I check out the tavern, huh?"

Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Tarbh guides Desert Wind over to the paddock, then pushes his way into the tavern (pausing to look for more nasty mold first). He whistles when he sees the destruction within, then sets to looking around. "Dang. Somethin' good happened here, an' then something real bad happened."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Paizo Employee

CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |

Tarafi looks relieved when others seem to bond with the horse, not favoring the idea of getting covered in oat dust and horse slobber.

He gathers himself and tries to look brave. I'll check the apothecary!

He looks at everyone out of the corner of his eye, clearly hopeful someone will go with him.

Inside the apothecary:

Spoiler:
Tarafi steps carefully through the dust and presses his ear to the door of the storage closet, listening for any signs of life—or undeath.
Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn joins Tarafi, after getting the cold shoulder from the horse.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Sallis inspects the body. “Definitely a goblin! See the elongated head?” He then begins to bag up the remains to put on his donkey.
Medicine: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 T

If no one wants to inspect it, he will bag the Ankh with the body to look at later.

Envoy's Alliance

820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Bardic Lore for Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Apparently, Pip missed some lessons on religion at school. "We'd better get Tarafi to look at this later. Do you want to go look at the guard house next?"

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

If Tarafi gives the all-clear, Trildyn opens the door of the storage closet.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Salliss nods his agreement. "Sounds good to me."

Then he starts loading the books he had selected to be recovered into a bag.

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Tarafi doesn't hear any movement in the closet, and when Trildyn opens it up, she discovers a dusty collection of candles, oils, and dried herbs—therapeutic materials that would be valuable to the right buyer. The two scour the rest of the apothecary, but nothing else of value seems to remain. All together, these are light Bulk and count as 1 Treasure Bundle.

Meanwhile, Salliss and Pip continue to inspect the body from the chapel. After some frowns from Pip over not being able to remember the nature of the symbol, Salliss loads the body into a sack and puts it on his donkey.

To the south, Tarbh leads the calm Desert Wind to the paddock near the tavern, where the horse idly grazes and shuffles his hooves.

DC 13 Religion on examining the dangling sign:
Looking at the sign dangling from the chain, you recognize it to be important to the faith of Iomedae.

DC 13 Religion ^ (also open this one on a critical success):
The flaming wheel on the sign represents an iophanite, a celestial servitor of Iomedae.

Tarbh notices a bloodied body lying in a corner, remains of undead scattered nearby. This corpse has been heavily damaged by zombie teeth. A broken piece of plate armor lies nearby, bearing iconography of a flame and the hilt of a sword.

DC 15 Medicine or DC 17 Perception to investigate the body more closely:
This was once a gnome or halfling.

DC 15 Religion to examine the iconography of the plate armor:
This is a portion of the religious symbol of Iomedae

DC 17 Society, or 15 if you succeeded at the Religion check:
This armor was famously worn by the Knights of Ozem, now known as the Knights of Lastwall.

After searching further, Tarbh finds some small guest rooms off the main tavern. Inside a bedside table, he also finds a purse containing 10 sp. 1 Treasure Bundle

GM:
170

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Tarbh pops his head outside and calls to his more learned companions, hoping someone can help him make sense of what he's seeing. He then goes back to the body and takes a closer look.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Paizo Employee

2 people marked this as a favorite.
CG Male human universalist wizard 1 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Active Conditions: --- HP 16/16 | AC 15 | F +5 R +5 W +6 | Perc +4 | Stealth +2 |

Tarafi hears Tarbh and heads over to peer at the corpse.

Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Just as he feels like there's something familiar about the iconography, he notices writhing maggots and turns to avoid vomiting, his train of thought derailed.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

"Ah, they's just some lil' buggers doin' their thing, nothin' ta worry 'bout."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn examines the sign

Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

”Ah, Iomedae.”

She examines the body.

Medicine: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

And the armor.

Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Envoy's Alliance

820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Pip and Salliss head off to the Guardhouse.

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Each of the checks with the body is 10 minutes, so I'll say you did just the Medicine check with the body, Trildyn.

Tarbh, Trildyn, and Tarafi gather around the body in the tavern, although they all stand around scratching their heads at the details of the corpse.

Meanwhile, Pip and Salliss explore the guardhouse. Barely anything remains but dusty furniture, but the two find a low-grade cold iron buckler beneath the bed.

Everyone up!

GM:
160

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

I think we haven't done the tavern yet? Trildyn goes to the tavern.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Since I was having trouble tracking what areas were explored, I put together this summary:
Locations:
Chapel: Explored by Pip and Sallis, with help from Tarafi figuring out most of what happened.
Armory: Tarafi and Trildyn find Desert Wind behind it, nothing in the armory.
Guardhouse: Salliss and Pip found a low grade cold iron buckler, but nothing else of interest.
Apothecary: Tarafi and Trildyn found some valuable herbs, but nothing else
Tavern: Tarbh, Trildyn, and Tarafi habe found a body, more analysis needed!
General Store: Tarbh got an unpleasant lung full of fungus, avoid!

Tavern certainly needs more looking into. Given the number of books there, we may want to look more at the Chapel if we think we might have time.
We have not figured out everything about Desert Wind yet either.

We might also try to pull a Lassie with Desert Wind, see if the horse can lead us back to their master.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Picking up the buckler, Sallis says “Maybe Trildyn could use this. Given what we saw, I think Tarbh would forget it as soon as a battle started.

Not finding anything else of interest, he suggests “Shall we see what the others have found?

——
Tavern

When he finds the others in the tavern, Sallis tells the others what he has found so far and listens to their information.

He then tries to see if he can find any clues on the body.
Medicine: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 T
Looks like this was a gnome or halfling.” With an apologetic look towards Pip, he admits “I can’t be sure which,

Envoy's Alliance

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Re-reading that initial description, there's also a broken cart next to the chapel. Could be useful if repaired, now that we have a horse. Anyone feel like doing some crafting to repair it?

Do we have any sense of how long we have?

We figured out who the horse belonged to, right? One of our missing Pathfinders, Larraz.

Envoy's Alliance

2 people marked this as a favorite.
LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Hey, Trildyn can work on the cart! It seems like her bonus to blacksmithing from Specialty Crafting would apply.

Crafting, blacksmithing: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 3 + 1 = 17

Envoy's Alliance

2 people marked this as a favorite.
820-2001 | CG Female Gnome (Fey-Touched) Barrister Bard 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 16 | F +5 R +4 W +5 | Perc +5 | Stealth +2 | 25 speed | focus 1/1 | spells 1 2/2 | Hero Points 2/2 | Active Conditions: ---

Bardic Lore, Religion, sign: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Bardic Lore, Religion, armor iconography : 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Although Pip does not recognize the imagery on the tavern sign, she does recognize the armor. "This person was a Knight of Ozem who worshipped Iomedae." She speaks reverently, kneeling by the body. Then she looks at the notes on the missing Pathfinders. "Kalli worshipped Shelyn. Raelyn worshipped Abadar. Besides, a Knight of Ozem would be one of the most unlikely of Pathfinders, since their duties kept them in Lastwall. I don't think they were one of our Pathfinders at all."

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Looking at the barricades and such, Sallis notes “Who ever they were, they went down fighting. They should be honored for that.

Getting out another bag, he adds “Hopefully someone back at the lodge will find some way to identify them. We aren’t leaving their body here!

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Salliss and Pip went through all of the books and records in the chapel pretty thoroughly with their combined efforts. And yes, Trildyn can totally use her turn this round to Repair the cart and her bonus does apply. I'll put up a slide to track locations visited tonight. Right now, you don't know when another threat might be upon you, but I will say for now that Evni did advise you to make a hasty journey. :)

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Assuming we want to get back to the border before dark, about how much more time do we have here?

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Assuming the journey back takes roughly the same time as it took to get here, you have about 4 more hours before you have to leave to make it back before dark.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

As far as I can tell, the only remaining checks that we know about are the ones to examine the body and the one to repair the cart. Does that sound right?

Having no real training when it comes to dead bodies, Tarbh goes to check on the horse, then stands guard in the middle of town, looking for further signs of trouble.

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Correct, you're just about done with the town. Trildyn succeeded at her check to repair the cart, which I'll include in this round's wrap-up, so I'll allow you to spend this round doing whatever you'd like with that. After that, I think you're all ready to move on, unless there's more you'd like to try.

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

Salliss already did the Medicine check on the body, Pip did the Religion and Society checks for the Armor using Bardic Lore.

What other checks are there?

I think Tarafi is the only one who hasn’t done their action yet.

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Will move you along, then!

Working together, Salliss and Pip come to a conclusion on the body in the tavern. They then prepare the body for recovery.

Tarafi nods in reverence at Pip's observation, then picks up the knight's armor, thinking the Knights of Lastwall might appreciate the recovery of a belonging of one of their own.

With expert skill, Trildyn manages to get the cart back into working order, although it seems a bit rickety. The cart seems usable, although you can attempt to Repair the cart again to fortify it further. Desert Wind can haul the cart, or two of you can work together to do so.

Seeing they have investigated all of the buildings in town, the group moves toward Goldenflame College. As the party travels along the path leading out from town to the college, they notice a faint but growing sense of dread, and everyone sees to the southwest the movement of faint shadows on the horizon, moving toward the town, almost like living mountains. Salliss, with his exceptional eyesight, notes that the shadows are moving quickly and might reach town in the coming hours.

The college, although now run down, bears signs of its once-beautiful architecture: dirty and ivy-wrapped columns, majestic archways, and a partially intact stained-glass window depicting Iomedae herself.

DC 12 Architecture Lore or Society:
This architecture style is a pre-Cheliax style that was popular in Vellumis.

Two wide staircases lead into the college. Engraved in the stone is “Goldenflame College, Est. 4083 AR." On one of the staircases rests a small corpse, its hand outstretched toward the door. The body is clad in dirtied white-and-red robes with gold trim, shredded from the back as if by cruel claws. A small notebook has fallen nearby, its pages stained with blood.

DC 13 Academia Lore or Society to read the notebook:
The esoteric diagrams within the notebook seem to be research notes.

DC 13 Medicine or DC 15 Perception to further investigate the body:
Although the body is heavily damaged, it seems to be that of a gnome or halfling.

DC 15 Religion or Society to examine the body's clothing:
This style of dress is favored by priests and other adherents of Iomedae.

Map up, and tokens added. Please move your token as you explore the college. Let me know how you'd like to generally explore, like if you're Investigating or Sneaking or the like. The college has an upstairs as well, accessible via the staircases to the west; the map of the upstairs is also in the Slides.

GM:

150

Salliss: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Pip Hip Hooray: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Tarbh: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Trildyn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Tarafi: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Vigilant Seal

Male CG Half-Elf Rogue 2 | Perception +6; +1 vs traps; Trap Finder; Low Light Vision | HP 26/26 | AC 19 (20 with Shield spell) | F +5 R + 9 W + 6; +1 vs traps | Hero Points: 0 | Active Conditions: No weapon in hand

I am in favor of Desert Wind hauling the cart.

Do each of these checks take time like in town?

Lore (Architecture): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9 T

Strange architecture, I don’t recognize it.” Sallis says as the group approaches the college.

We should probably stick near each other, but in order to search it all we will likely need to split up a little bit. Any suggestions on how best to do this?

Paizo Employee

Escaping the Grave

Correct.

Envoy's Alliance

Male dwarf barbarian 1 | hp: 24/25 [drained 1: 23/24] (rage temp hp: 0/4), hero points: 1 | AC 18 (rage 17) | F+8 [drained 1: +7] R+4 W+6 (+2 F/R vs trip, shove, knock prone) | Speed 20ft | Perception +6, Survival +4 | Current conditions: drained 1

Tarbh stoops to examine the body.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

"Somethin' bad happened ta this little...gnome? Halfling? Hard to tell, exactly."

Envoy's Alliance

LG female human (half-orc) champion 1 | HP19/19 | AC 19 (21 with shield raised) | F +6 R +4 W +6 | Perc +3 | Stealth +1 | speed: 20 ft (25 without armor) | focus 1/1 | Active Conditions: ---

Trildyn examines the clothing of the figure.

Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
"Their clothes are so tattered. I don't know what to make of them."

101 to 150 of 213 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gameday VIII GMAdrian's #1–03: Escaping the Grave (closed) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.