... Ou la Mort

Game Master The Wyrm Ouroboros

Remove Citizen Goss; destroy the Gray Gardeners; liberate the souls from the final blades; end the Red Revolution.
Player Tools: Discord Channel, Trello War Table, Isarn Map, the Galt Gazette for this campaign, Distances in the city, and Organizations and Buildings spreadsheet

Links and Enhancements:

Individual Threads
Spoiler:

Dolores: Ou la Mort
Lilli: Ou la Mort
Lucien: Ou la Mort
Jerome: Ou la Mort
Manush: Ou la Mort

Estelle Delsarte: The Vigilant Guard
Eponine d'Ambreville: The Vigilant Guard
Athanas Sylvain: The Vigilant Guard


Additional Systems:
Spoiler:

We will be using all sorts of optional rule systems. Skill Unlocks from Unchained are one main one; Verbal Duels, Influence, Affiliations, Personas (standard and Masked), Mysteries and Investigations, Rumors, Research, Contracts, Downtime, Duels, Gambling and Games of Chance, Investments, Building and Organization rules, and all that sort of thing; if it's in Ultimate Intrigue, chances are it'll get used. If it has to do with intrigue and isn't found in UI, chances are it'll get used.

I strongly encourage you to examine the Building and Organization rules, as well as the Persona rules, as the Leadership feat is not so much being replaced as being dramatically enhanced by these two; the better your persona and organization, the better your chances of succeeding at your goals.

I strongly encourage you to examine the specific rules for Verbal Duels; Performance skills are highly useful in them, and

I strongly encourage you to consider the uses of news, art, and propaganda both overt and subtle in history, whether for revolution, war, or political change; the Artistry skills (and to a lesser extent the Craft skills) will enable you to spread your thoughts much farther than your voice can reach.

Though you may not yet have access to them, of note are the rules for Personas and Masked Personas.

Personas
Personas are a measure of how influential you can be in the world; at the end of the first adventure, we will put these together. For a game like this, these are very useful -- especially so for the more public figures of the Military Genius, the Reliable Statesman, and the Influential Merchant, but useful as well in some ways for the Criminal Mastermind and the Distressed Prelate. Your personas will give you dedicated agents to work for you, admirers, and possibly even friends in high places; your personas will make you the critcial linchpins in ending the Red Revolution.

Masked Personas
While vigilantes are the most obvious users of masked personas (and can do so with a speed and reliability that is staggering to see), these rules allow otherwise-ordinary people to keep a 'mask' behind the mirror, as it were. The long-time masters of the masked persona are actually the Gray Gardeners; few if any of them are vigilantes, yet their identities remain hidden. Many if not all of the PCs will acquire a masked persona (again, at the end of the first adventure); the primary development of it will have been accomplished prior to the campaign, with its fruits being seen only now.

Persona
Affiliations
Influence (Search “Jockeying”)
Contracts (See AP #101, Hell's Rebels 'The Kintargo Contract', section on Infernal Contracts)
Research (Search “Using a Library”)

Masked Persona
Mysteries and Investigations

Rumors
Bar Fights
Gambling and Games of Chance
Duels
Verbal Duels (and how they work)

Buildings and Organizations
General Downtime
Downtime Activities
Investments

Contacts

More as I think about it and/or am asked.


Languages
Spoiler:

Because I was asked ...

Because this is a PbP, we have the opportunity to use neat scripts and that sort of thing for different languages. For this campaign, we will use those languages that can be found in Google Translate. When doing so, for audible speech, use the Latin-alphabet phonetic translation (typically found underneath the box in which the script translation appears) so that we can read what it sounds like. If, however, the conversation is telepathic, mental, or if the words are physically written down, use the language's own script, if it has something else (Arabic, the Cyrillic alphabet, etc.), which is usually found inside the translation box.

Taldan is the 'Common' trade tongue, pretty much everyone uses it, therefore we use English.
Azlanti ==> Latin
Varisian ==> Spanish
Chelaxian ==> Italian
Garundi ==> Hebrew
Keleshite ==> Arabic
Hallit ==> Russian
Mwangi (Polyglot, I guess?) ==> Sesotho
Mwangi-related ==> Igbo
Shoanti ==> German
Ulfen ==> Norwegian
Vudrani ==> Punjabi
Osiriani ==> Amharic
Skald ==> Icelandic

Tien (Tian-Shu, Lung Wa)==> Chinese Traditional
Dan (Tian-Dan, Xa Hoi) ==> Myanmar
Dtang (Tian-Dtang, Dtang Ma) ==> Vietnamese
Hon-La (Tian-La, Hongal) ==> Mongolian
Hwan (Tian-Hwan, Hwanggot) ==> Korean
Minatan (Tian-Sing, Minata) ==> Indonesian
Minkaian (Tian-Min, Minkai) ==> Japanese

Druidic ==> Welsh

Elvish ==> Tamil
Dwarves ==> Ukranian
Gnomes ==> Armenian
Halfling ==> Greek
Draconic ==> Macedonian

Orc ==> Czech
Goblin ==> Estonian
Gnoll ==> Kyrgyz
Giant ==> Yiddish
Ettin ==> Haitian Creole
Undercommon ==> Bengali

Lizardfolk (or some reptilian race) ==> Telugu.

Sylvan ==> Gujarati
First Speech ==> Persian
Terran ==> Maori
Ignan ==> Nepali
Auran ==> Uzbek
Aquan ==> Lao
Aklo ==> Basque
Orvian ==> Malagasy

Celestial ==> Scots Gaelic
Abyssal ==> Yoruba
Daemonic ==> Marathi
Infernal ==> Javanese
Protean ==> Esperanto

'The Family' Gang Cant ==> Afrikaans
-----------------------

If you have a language that isn't found here, let me know and I'll figure something out. :) If you have a suggestion, even better.


Isarn Settlement Statblock:

See the Isarn and Its Districts page for an easier-to-read version of this information.

Isarn
CN metropolis
Corruption +2, Crime +1, Economy 0, Law +2, Lore +2, Society 0
Qualities Cultured, Defiant, Gang-Ridden*, Notorious, Rumormongering, Under-City*
Danger +40; Disadvantages Impoverished, Martial Law, Oppressed**
--------------------
Demographics
--------------------
Government Fascistic autotocracy
Population 42,800
--------------------
Marketplace
--------------------
Base Value 4,800gp Purchase Limit 50,000 gp Spellcasting 4th
*** Minor Items 4d4 Medium Items 2d4 Major Items 1d4
--------------------
* - Modified (Gang-Ridden derived from Cruel Watch)
** - Downgraded
*** - Available magic items are re-rolled at the end of every week; obviously, you can commission one, or try to find out if someone is wanting to sell or is about to finish making an item you're looking to acquire.

Stat Usage

Spoiler:
Each of a settlement's stat blocks are added to certain rolls, as follows:
Corruption +2: To Bluff vs. city officials/guards, Stealth outside (not underground)
Crime +1: To Sense Motive vs. Bluff, Sleight of Hand to pick pockets
Economy 0: To Craft, Perform*, Profession to Generate Income
Law +2: To Intimidate to force friendly, Diplomacy vs govt officials or to call guard
Lore +2: To Diplomacy to Gather Info, KS when using city libraries
Society 0: To Disguise, and Diplomacy to alter attitude of govt official
Danger +40: To random encounter table rolls (or chance for encounter)

These apply to all appropriate rolls, whether by you or by an NPC; obviously, the 'Danger' stat is essentially GM-only. If you are using Hero Lab and have ShadowChemosh's Adjustments, you can apply a 'Skill Bonus, Situational' for each of these, and that'll show up on your sheet in the correct places.

* - Due to Cultured, Isarn is always considered to be Prosperous (+1 to Economy) for the purpose of certain checks to generate income; briefly, the check has to create or express something 'artistic' in the 'high art' sense of the term -- statuary, paintings, opera, drama, orchestral music, and the like. Street musicians play the lute and sing arias and solos, or band together and perform 'chamber music' and the like. 'Low' art -- bawdy comedies and music, farcical plays, street art/graffiti, and similar activities, fiddlers with monkeys -- do not receive this bonus, but do not receive any penalty; the point is the people appreciate the 'high art' more.


51 to 60 of 60 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

N(G) male tiefling investigator (conspirator, empiricist) 8 // unchained rogue (phantom thief) 4 / swashbuckler (inspired blade, noble fencer, veiled blade) 4 (Eritrice, Cayden Cailean) Ini +6 (+7 vs. bluff/sense motive); AC 23/16/18, CMD 23/25 Agi, +5 / +12 / 9*, evasion, cold/ele/fire 5; ad. rapier +12/+7 (1d6+5/18-20 +4 Precision, studied combat +4/6 rnd); CMB +15 (+2 agi); HP 64/64, panache 7/7, inspiration 10/10 (+1d6); darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, see in darkness, watcher sense +2; PER +17 (+1d6*)(+2 vs. magic sensor)

GMSR:
1d20 ⇒ 13
1d6 ⇒ 6
Apology:
I'm sorry for the delay. RL has been, well, a mean nasty ol' RL on me the last week or so, mostly in social manners (irony, I know). On top of that, I lost the post I had gotten ready, was working (poorly) on rebuilding it, then fortunately discovered that I had inadvertently saved a copy of most of it somewhere else. So here we go. I do, however, apologize again on the slowness of my responses.

The prosecutor's begrudging admittance that one couldn't prove incompetence seems to Androk a topic of particular distaste for the human-looking tiefling; the Haven's patron nods thoughtfully, for a moment appearing regretful but then returning to cold-blooded calculation as to who would be better off dead. He watches the others handling the figures, as if having something to touch allowed his compatriots to get a better grasp on the individuals themselves, and a slight, abstracted smile ghosts onto his face.

A nod goes to Lucien at the Lieutenant's question about execution. "If they make it that far, they do. Something of a final test of their resolve and ... qualifications." He glances from one to the other to the next, gauging thought processes, listening to the points being debated.

"I think," he finally and slowly says, "that using the Gilded Lily too much would call unwanted attention to the place. I think that Counselor Lemaître is right, and that the Lieutenant should encounter his fellow, and engage Lieutenant Bonfil in philosophical debate about the ... hm." He stares at Bonfil's figure, then looks over at the military man. Bluntly, he states, "Not to offend, Lucien, but you lean too much on Alix for certain elements of thinking. That's going to bite you in the ass one of these days, but with luck it won't be in the next week or so. You need to engage her sense of morality, but you're going to have to do it by way of her ethics. The Army, and you especially, cannot be thought of as taking a moral stand. An ethical one, though -- that's what discipline and following orders is about. So while you're going to have to invoke the final blades at some point, I'd suggest approaching it with a discussion about obeying orders, something along those lines. Whether it's necessary to follow an order you know is wrong, that sort of thing. You can," he adds drily, "undoubtedly pull from your own experience." His smile, however, does its best to rob the minor jibe of any sting.

"Garson," he reminds the merchant for what seems to be the ten thousandth time, "no wine at this table. I'd rather not have to copy my notes again." Garson hasn't spilled wine in over a year, and has long since gotten into the habit of having the glass in his 'away' hand, but Androk is somewhat of a paranoid sort.

"A couple or three of things wrong with some of the ideas, unfortunately. First, the Lieutenant isn't permitted to march into town on any day but his assigned day, and can't keep the peace anywhere but his assigned station. As much as I'd like him to be able to have a hand in it, unless we make it happen outside the city walls, Lucien is out of it.

"Point the second -- having to do with the same plan -- is that we can't be sure from one night to the next where Joubert is staying. And as a sub-point, as it were, well -- I don't know if I agree that Joubert is ... unredeemable. I mean, he sounds like a follower of Ragathiel to me; if we let him survive this, maybe find a way to infuriate him against Sœur Cendre, see her as being a criminal, then we might be able to find out more about him. We might just need to cull his gang, we might need to put him down as a mad dog, but ... I don't know if we have enough information to make a solid decision either way.

"The third," Jeggare admits regretfully, "is the problem of foreknowledge. While Dolorès must work on being more open, more tied into the people around her perhaps," and here his attention turns to the mystic, "you're going to simply go about your daily business, without displaying any sort of awareness that someone's got their eye on you for --" he waves his hand "-- all of this. And while I don't think you sabotaging someone would be bad for you, exactly ... it would be out of character for you. So just ... go about your business, as it were. And when they pull you in, act natural. Well, natural with a bit more liveliness, I suppose." He smiles wryly.

"So. My suggestions are for Lucien to work -- as subtly as he can -- on Lieutenant Bonfils; Lucien, while I don't want you to keep leaning so heavily on her, I suppose you might consider bringing Alix with you to help stimulate the conversation. Lily, if you want to prime Cadet to highlight Bonfils' opinions on innocence, that'll definitely help there. I think removing Lambert is definitely no loss to the city, but I'm not so certain that either Soucy or Joubert are truly harmful -- or couldn't be put to better use. We have Dolorès essentially considered ..." He stares at the rest of them, then says slowly, "I ... really think we need more information on who to select and who to remove, all while making sure that the Gray Gardeners know nothing about the fact that we're making the selection for them this time. Going by the wording of the missive, though, the fifth is the day they'll actually make the choices -- or announce them to each other, perhaps. We have until then to get more information, make a plan for each of them, and put those plans into action."

Looking around, he says, "Except for you, Dolorès, why don't we each select one candidate and one Gardener -- perhaps those we each individually already know about, and we'll pick up the slack on the others -- and try to find out more about them? Let's make, say, the thirty-first as a deadline, and all meet again here?"


Human (Varisian) Galtan Agitator Rogue 5 // Lotus Geisha Bard 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 19 (T15/FF15) | Init +5 | Perc +11 (+ mods) | CMB +6/+8 | CMD 19/21 | F+4 R+8 W+6 (+mods) | Spell Slots L1 5/5 L2 3/3 | Bardic Performance 16/16 | Active Conditions: none

Lilli sat quietly as Androk spoke, weighing his words carefully. He might not always have the final say, but as the founder and de facto 'leader' of the group his opinion was always important.

"This makes sense. If we have the time to gather more information that will be preferable to moving based on what limited knowledge we currently have. I will definitely start gathering information on Joubert" She smiles sweetly as the she starts to make plans in her mind. "I have several teams available that are free to roam the city to find him and watch his movements and activities. It might even be possible to infiltrate his gang and get some inside information." She pulls out her journal and makes a few notes in a strange cipher. "In terms of Gardeners, I probably have the best chance of getting to know Cadet, using my establishment. I agree with our host that using it too often during engagements might draw attention to it, but finding a way to convince a known lecher to add it to his list of favored haunts should be innocent enough, and my girls and myself are quite adept at getting to know our clients' minds."

She snaps her book closed and looks around the table again. "At least those are the two I propose to investigate. There are also potential ties to others if someone prefers working with those two themselves. I welcome your opinions on the matter."


|HP: 45/45| AC: 22 (16 Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 24 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Init: +6 | Blf+18, Perf O/Dip/SM +13, Intim +13, Prof: S +9, UMD +13, Knw A/D/L/Spcft +10, Perc +8 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/6, 2: 3/3 | Challenge 2/2, Panache 5/5, Tactician 2/2, Performance 17/17, Silver Tongue 8/8, DT 1/1 | +11, d10+5+5, x3. | Active conditions:

Lucien nods, apparently completely at ease with Jeggare's well meaning advice. "I will take Bonfils, but anyone else will be difficult. I might find some of Pascal's past - she was once a soldier too." With that decided he stands. "I cannot stay much longer - if I miss curfew questions will be asked. The thirty-first should work, but I probably will not be in contact until then."

He rejoins the group and his tail, low to the ground, brushes Jeggare's leg for a moment.

Jeggare:
I wish to speak to you, privately.


Male Tiefling (Pass for Human) Cleric 5 / Rogue 5 | HP 45/45 | AC: 18, T: 13, FF: 16 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +10 | BAB: +3, CMB: +3, CMD: 15, M.Attack +6 (1d6+1) | Init: +4 | Perception: +17 | Channel 4/4

"That can work, that can work. I will feel the pulse of the legal system about Lambert's current jobs, the causes he's taken and such." He doesn't bother making notes, his memory being trained by the legal studies. "And I will look for more information about the elusive Monsieur Belmont, who may be a candidate for either of the roles. And perhaps I can keep an eye out for Cendre, see if we can make Soucy unsuitable without having to act against him directly."


N(G) male tiefling investigator (conspirator, empiricist) 8 // unchained rogue (phantom thief) 4 / swashbuckler (inspired blade, noble fencer, veiled blade) 4 (Eritrice, Cayden Cailean) Ini +6 (+7 vs. bluff/sense motive); AC 23/16/18, CMD 23/25 Agi, +5 / +12 / 9*, evasion, cold/ele/fire 5; ad. rapier +12/+7 (1d6+5/18-20 +4 Precision, studied combat +4/6 rnd); CMB +15 (+2 agi); HP 64/64, panache 7/7, inspiration 10/10 (+1d6); darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, see in darkness, watcher sense +2; PER +17 (+1d6*)(+2 vs. magic sensor)

"Look further into Sœur Argent as well, if you can," suggests Androk to Lily. "Lucien, I would predict that Sœur Cadet is in a position to have some sort of repeat contact with Bonfils. You might have you and yours keep your ears open and see if anyone besides us is asking after her; that may lead you to Cadet's ... non-Gardener identity." Nodding at Jerome, he adds, "I think you mean Sœur Glauque, Soucy's judge in this, not Sœur Cendre who is Joubert's. But in the same line as Lucien, see if your people can suss out who might be nosing about Lambert; that may be Frère Nickel.

"Garson, Thibaut Belmont sounds like he might be a businessman; see if you can't approach him, find out more about him. Sœur Cendre also sounds like she might be a sober individual; see if you can't find out a bit more on that front." He strokes his thumb next to his nose, then grimaces. "I'll see if I can't find out anything more about Sœur Cendre and Frère Ardoise, not to mention some kind of information about Frères Nickel and Charbon; I'll see if my people have information on Joubert, Soucy, and Belmont as well. And if push comes to shove, I'll go have a talk with the archer Pascal."

He looks around at his five co-conspirators, then goes to fetch the wine decanter. "A toast," he proposes, going about and pouring at least a mouthful into everyone's glass, his own being last. Decanter down and glass up, he lifts it. "To the end of the revolution," he proposes and, presuming he is echoed, swallows down the mouthful-and-some.

"Lucien," he adds, "let me walk you up; I had a question about a rumor I heard regarding your commanding officer."


Human NG Human Vox Mesmerist/Oracle 5 | HP 39/39 | AC 18 T 15 FF 13 | CMB +3 CMD 16 | F +3 R +7 W +6 | Init +2 | Perc +7 | Mesmerist Spells L1 6/6 L2 4/4 | Oracle Spells L1 8/8 L2 6/6 | Tricks 7/8 | Active conditions: None.

Dolorès lifts her glass with an unsteady hand and stares absently into the liquid that swirls within. "To the end," she murmurs, speaking both to the faces that surround the table, and to the spirits that call to her from the blade that sits above the catacombs.

Feeling as though she should say something more, the oracle takes a long, serious look at each of her comrades, before offering some parting words in her slow, dreamy way. "I promise, Sœur Argent will find an ideal candidate in me. She will not be the first, nor the last, to be stirred by my words. Iomedae has taught me to move hearts and minds, prepared me all my life to walk the path Pharasma has laid before us. I will follow to its conclusion... Thank you all for choosing to walk beside me."


Human (Varisian) Galtan Agitator Rogue 5 // Lotus Geisha Bard 5 | HP 42/42 | AC 19 (T15/FF15) | Init +5 | Perc +11 (+ mods) | CMB +6/+8 | CMD 19/21 | F+4 R+8 W+6 (+mods) | Spell Slots L1 5/5 L2 3/3 | Bardic Performance 16/16 | Active Conditions: none

Lilli also lifts her glass and quietly joins the others. "To the end..."

As Dolorès makes her pledge, she smiles maternally at the young woman and then immediately starts preparing to leave. "I shall return with a better idea of Joubert's activities and will do what I can to identify his recruiter as well as investigate Argent and Cadet. If I am needed, simply drop a note with one of my ladies at the tea house."

After packing up what few things she was utilizing and ensuring that she has left no evidence of her presence behind, she slips away and disappears into the catacombs.


Male Tiefling (Pass for Human) Cleric 5 / Rogue 5 | HP 45/45 | AC: 18, T: 13, FF: 16 | Fort: +8, Ref: +4, Will: +10 | BAB: +3, CMB: +3, CMD: 15, M.Attack +6 (1d6+1) | Init: +4 | Perception: +17 | Channel 4/4

"Ah, yes, Glauque. My, does eyesight get worse with age." Jerome corrects himself, craning his neck to see the cards at a better angle.

"And to new beginnings." he answers the toast, lifting his glass. "I will keep the legal system under careful observation. You all know where my office is, you'll find me there if you need anything from me. A bientôt, mes amis, let us meet again under good omens."


|HP: 45/45| AC: 22 (16 Tch, 17 Fl) | CMB: +9, CMD: 24 | F: +6, R: +9, W: +5 | Init: +6 | Blf+18, Perf O/Dip/SM +13, Intim +13, Prof: S +9, UMD +13, Knw A/D/L/Spcft +10, Perc +8 | Speed 30ft | 1: 6/6, 2: 3/3 | Challenge 2/2, Panache 5/5, Tactician 2/2, Performance 17/17, Silver Tongue 8/8, DT 1/1 | +11, d10+5+5, x3. | Active conditions:

"The end." Lucien echoes, lifting his glass and taking a brief sip. With the pleasantries out of the way he replaces his glass and moves towards the exit, waiting for Jeggare to join him.

In the tunnel:
"Thank you." Lucien offers as the elder tiefling joins him. "I want to talk about Alix. You know I want to bring her in and now you're suggesting I use her to help our activities. Is this a sign of your support?" He speaks bluntly, his mentor deserves that much and this is too important.


N(G) male tiefling investigator (conspirator, empiricist) 8 // unchained rogue (phantom thief) 4 / swashbuckler (inspired blade, noble fencer, veiled blade) 4 (Eritrice, Cayden Cailean) Ini +6 (+7 vs. bluff/sense motive); AC 23/16/18, CMD 23/25 Agi, +5 / +12 / 9*, evasion, cold/ele/fire 5; ad. rapier +12/+7 (1d6+5/18-20 +4 Precision, studied combat +4/6 rnd); CMB +15 (+2 agi); HP 64/64, panache 7/7, inspiration 10/10 (+1d6); darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, see in darkness, watcher sense +2; PER +17 (+1d6*)(+2 vs. magic sensor)

"New beginnings," Jeggare echoes. "With hard work and a bit of luck. As always, should you find new information that is time-critical, do not hesitate to send a message to Gideon D at the store-front attached to the orphanage; as always, he will be able to get a message to me through Mordecai. Good luck to each of you, and gods bless." He nods, then accompanies Lucien out of the planning room.

51 to 60 of 60 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM TWO's '... Ou la Mort': The Obvious Choice All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.