Dark Knight vs. Crimson Throne (Inactive)

Game Master Greek Stronghammer

Maps



You quickly make your way to the house, you look around and it doesn't look like there's anything abnormal, do you want to enter the house?


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

Apologies for the hokey image--couldn't find a good one while looking through the options on the first pass. Hopefully I'll find something decent later on.

Korvosa. An old city, built at the mouth of the Jeggare River, where it empties into Conqueror's Bay. A city with history, some good... and all too much bad. A city of secrets. A city of darkness. A city of evil.

The sun is a burning halo on the horizon. The city's usual splendorous stink is in the air. For all its decadence and commercial success, it can't be argued that there's something rotten about the place. Plenty of people have their theories about why. Ties to Infernal Cheliax are among the most popular, especially for visitors from Magnimar.

I can't afford to spend time on those theories. I can only hope that whatever the source of the darkness here, I can put a stop to it.

That's why I'm out here so early, prowling the alleys. Occasionally I climb to the Shingles, use the rooftops for some distance, before dropping back down into the shadows, the dirt of the side streets. I have to fight the urge to adjust my mask, my cloak, my gloves. I know everything is secured to hide who I am. But in the sun, even its last rays, I feel... Exposed. Naked. Vulnerable.

Those are all things they should feel. Not me. These feelings are like the theories. Luxuries I can't afford. The thought brings a grin to my face, under the mask. Soon enough, I'll probably be able to afford so much. But not those.

I crouch in an alley across from the house and watch. Once things look clear, no one on the street to see, I walk to the door and try the handle. I know this could be a trap. But right now, it's the best lead I have.

Let me know if the first-person narration doesn't work--I figured I'd give it a try since it was fun and fitting for the backstory sample, but third person with some bits of monologue might work better for the actual gameplay. Your call!


The interior of this small, humble home consists of a single cozy chamber filled with a fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The aroma comes from several sticks of incense smoldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke gives the room a dreamy feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling human hearts, and another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall, hooded figure shrouded in mist, holding a flaming sword in a skeletal hand. Several brightly colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throw cloth and several elegant, tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.
It works for now, we'll try it for awhile and see if it works long term


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

Sounds good.

No one home on first glance. But that doesn't mean it's empty. The incense is burning, which means someone was here recently enough to light it. The tapestries are unusual. The images they display are symbolic, certainly. Perhaps religious...

Knowledge (religion) (Untrained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12 Can only hit a DC 10 anyway.

...but I'm not certain. Without anything else to go on, at the moment, I start looking deeper. Searching for anything that looks out of place. A fold in cloth. A shadow deeper than it should be, or falling a way the light doesn't support. The basket is an obvious place to start, which is why I save it for last. Whoever my host is, they're not here, or they're hiding something. And I'm not in the habit of letting hidden things go unfound.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 Well, not usually, anyway.


No religious symbols, it looks like it is not varisian folk lore. You find nothing out of the blue, it all looks standard (by these standards)
L


You lift the blanket off the basket, and inside you see some bread and wine. As you lift it you hear someone say "Please, help yourself. Pour me a glass while you're at it if you will." If you turn around, you see A female Varisian woman "Forgive my lack of manners, I'm Zellara. I'm the person who invited you here."


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

Bread and wine. A common meal, but who is it--

My thoughts are cut off by the woman's voice. She gives me a start. I'm over the table before I'm consciously reacting, already in a low stance, one hand up to block, one going for a chakram at my belt. The surprise might be good for me. Keeps me on edge.

But she seems... plain enough. No weapons drawn, no threats in her voice. That doesn't mean I can drop my guard entirely. But it means I can stop looking like I'm about to attack her.

So instead of a chakram, I draw the card that brought me here and hold it up. "You left this? How did you know I would find it?" I leave the food and drink where they are. She might not have a knife, but there are other ways to kill a man. Should really spend more time with poisons, build a tolerance. Might need to just rely on the extracts, though.


She steps back instinctively then begins to laugh as you calm down "I slipped it in his jacket as I passed him in the streets. I knew you would find him because it is what you do. You are who they call, The Batman aren't you? Or, recently returned noble Bruce Wayne, correct? Your parents were knifed down in an alley by one of Lamm's lambs, then you left to train. Now you're back to kick the criminal scum of the city back to where they belong, starting with Lamm." she walks over and pours a glass, and takes a drink.


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

I hesitate when she says the name they've given me, but I nod. It's true that's what they're calling me. When they say who beat the criminal. When they lay the blame for another man the guard didn't catch. The Batman. It fits, I suppose, and serves a good purpose. Makes me seem inhuman, something more than just a man in a mask. A tad dramatic for my taste. But it fits.

When she says the other name, though, I scowl behind the mask. Sloppy, sloppy. And here you thought you were so clever in your mask and cowl and cape. She saw right through it. How many others? But aloud, I don't acknowledge the link. It could be a guess. It's certainly a ploy to set me off balance. So I do the same as I would if she tried to trip my legs instead of my tongue: redirect.

"Lamm is scum, yes. He's been a blight on this city for far too long. The law hasn't brought him down yet, either because they can't, or they won't. So yes. I'm here to put him, and everyone like him, where they belong." My voice is a bit muffled behind the mask, and I frown. I'd thought it would be a boon, but it doesn't hide my voice so well, and it could make my words difficult to understand. Could be how she knew who I am... If it wasn't just a guess. Remove the bottom of the mask, then use another voice, maybe? I'll have to ask Alfred about altering it.

Other matters at hand right now, though. I place the card on the table and fold my arms. "What about you, then? You have a vendetta against Lamm? Or do you just enjoy sending cryptic notes by way of common thugs?"


She sits down "You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When Lamm’s pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down and returned my deck to me. But Gaedren had him followed, and soon after he left my home, Gaedren’s thugs murdered him. I sought help from the Korvosan Guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded—I found out where Gaedren dwells."


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

"So it's personal." I keep my voice level, stating a fact, not empathizing. It isn't the same, of course. She had a symbol taken, an object. Her son died somewhere else; a terrible loss, but not an immediate one. She didn't watch her parents die. Didn't see the life drain from her mother's eyes. Didn't hear the ragged, dying breaths of her father. But I don't wish she had. That's the point of this. So no one else will.

When she claims to know his location, though, my eyes narrow. "Hearsay and mysticism? It's something. Where is he?"


"He can be found in an old fishery north of here, at Westpier 17, where he trains abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures."


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

Sorry, it's been a rough couple of days for me health- and energy-wise.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

I keep my eyes trained on her as she speaks. Watching for the telltale signs of a lie. A twitch of the eyes, blinking, shifting gaze. Color rising in the cheeks, the neck. Fidgeting, shifting weight, anything to preoccupy the mind and make it easier to speak falsehood. It's a reflex, instilled in me from my time at Lepidstadt. Always watch for the truth, they taught us. All too often, it's hidden in shadow and deceit.

But I don't think I sense that in her. She seems too honest, too driven. She wants Lamm punished as much as anyone in this city. Except you, Bruce. Except for the Batman. You want him even more. So much that you came back to this place after all those years, couldn't stay away. Are you ready?

The answer is the same as it's always been, deep down. Yes.

So I make for the door, only pausing slightly before returning to the darkening streets. "I'm sorry about your son. He'll have justice. We all will." And with that, I'm back into the night. Westpier 17. Your time is coming, Mister Lamm.


And with that you take to the streets. As you move you hear the sounds of the the slums that you have become so accustomed to. A man and his wife arguing, a common whore trying to attract attention, someone throws water from the window making a distinct splash. Normally you might take a second to sit and enjoy the sounds, but you finally have a place. Lamm's time is coming to a close. It doesn't take you long to arrive at your destination, your feet lifted by the wings of fate.
The old fishery is a creaking, decrepit building, yet it remains solid—it will be a few years yet before its floors start to give way and its roof begins to crumble. All external windows are boarded shut. The fishery is perched atop a steep embankment, with most of the structure extending out over the Jeggare River on wooden pilings. The embankment drops 13 feet into the river below; the sides are slippery but can be scaled with some difficulty The fishery’s external walls extend almost all the way down to the river.
There is a set of double doors on the side, on the front, and it looks like there is a pier that goes around the building. I should get a map up tonight


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

The slums are alive with their usual sounds. I hear them all, but I don't stop to listen. Normally I might. There's knowledge in those sounds. An argument reveals a stolen trinket, a shadowy acquaintance. A whore leads to a whoremonger. But I pass by, unseen, unheard, uninterested. And before long, there it is.

I lurk in shadows across the way, watching. It's an old building. Sturdy enough still, but far from new construction. I frown. The windows are boarded, which means the approach should be easy enough, if there are no guards outside. But the river might make things difficult, and the embankment and walls might make climbing precarious. I pat the pack strapped to my back, under the cloak. I have rope and a grappling hook inside for just such situations. So few people look up for danger, expect an attack from above.

For right now, though, I sit and watch. Before acting, I need to determine two things: is there a way into the building beside those doors, and are there guards outside. Shifting from vantage point to vantage point is fine for now, and my eyes are trained to the darkness, but I can't get too close. Not yet. Soon.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 +2 if I'm in dim light or darkness
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12 +2 if I'm in dim light or darkness
Looking for potential entrances as well as any guards (or other people lingering near the fishery, for that matter). If there's any way to see the roof, I'm ideally looking there to see if there's any way down in--a hole in the construction, a patch job with boards I could pry up, things like that. I'll move around to view from multiple angles if possible, but I don't want to get too close just yet--probably keeping it just within clear sight. I do have darkvision out to 60 feet thanks to the Dimdweller racial trait.


You look around and watch the people surrounding the building until you are positive that there are no guards. You make your way up to a roof, and are able to sight a hole in the building with a few loose boards covering it. You feel you could likely slip through the hole easily enough.


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

Sorry, work has had some changes to things that leave me more stressed and tired, and I got sick sometime in the past couple days.

Every muscle in my body is tensed for action. Every instinct screams for me to move. All the emotions I've spent fifteen years fighting down are suddenly boiling up. But fifteen years is plenty of time to practice. So I keep still, and slow, and watch until I'm certain there's no danger to the approach. I look from every angle until I know my plan. And then, only then, do I move in.

The street across is the most dangerous part. Exposed, visible. The darkness of night is the only thing that will keep me from being seen. So that's all I can use. Speed is more important. I dart across, point A to point B, straight line. Low, quick. It'll have to do.

Once I'm at the building, I slow down, step more carefully. One foot down, shift the weight. Breath evenly, shallow, calm. I press around to the side, where I spied my point for approach. Slip the rope and hook out of my bag. I only spin it twice for momentum before the throw. More than that isn't useful. More than that, I'll hesitate on the release.

Stealth Across the Street at Speed: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 5 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 2 - 5 = 5 Well, hopefully nobody's looking, and penalties for distance and walls will keep them from hearing me.
Grappling Hook Toss: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 Not sure how tall the building is, but that hits the typical AC of 5 unless it's taller than 30 feet. If it connects, I'll take 10 to Climb which gives me a 12, which should get me up unless the building is particularly slippery.


You run through the streets (luckily no-one is paying enough attention to notice) You sloppily get your grappling hook up there, but luckily it sticks. You can move up the wall.


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

After everything, hesitation. The rope doesn't slip through my gloves as smoothly as it should, the angle isn't right. I clamp my jaw and hold my breath and watch as it clips the edge. But it catches, and I give it a tug to make sure it'll hold. It will. So I climb up, hand over hand, not allowing another moment of hesitation. It takes several seconds--More practice, Bruce, are you sure you're ready?--No, no hesitating--but soon enough I'm over the edge and on the roof, crouched and ready.

Once I'm there, another quick glance around. Make sure it's still quiet, still clear, and I make my way over to the hole I saw earlier to slip through, after gathering up my grappling hook and rope.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 For looking around inside the building as I slip through the hole.
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 For hopefully not getting seen/heard as I slip through the hole.
Not sure if I need to roll anything to actually slip through the hole, feel free to do so for me if necessary!


You make your way up there, and look through the hole. A wooden desk sits in one corner of this room, its side preventing the western door from opening all the way. The table is heaped with dozens of slate boards covered with chalk scrawls, while to the east a cabinet slouches against the wall. There is also a blond haired man who is writing something down


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

This is it. No more mistakes. No more planning. Just do it.

I take in the scene for only a few seconds. It's enough. A single man, a door that can't fully open, disarray. Perfect.

So I drop through the hole, landing as nimbly and quietly as possible on the floor below. I don't give the man a chance to turn around, or yell, or plead innocence. I bring a hand forward in an open-palm strike, aiming for the tender spot where the neck meets the shoulder. It won't kill, but it'll hurt, and with any luck, it will drop him before he can really react.

Not certain if I need to roll Stealth again to keep my drop on this guy, so I'll forgo that for now.

Unarmed Surprise Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 Inspiration: 1d6 ⇒ 3 Total 13 vs. flat-footed AC--didn't feel like chancing a straight 10. This is going to be a short-lived game if Batman can't roll above average for anything.
Nonlethal Damage with Hidden Strike: 1d6 + 4 + 1d8 ⇒ (6) + 4 + (3) = 13


You pop through and make contact, but it looks like he's still up. You do get to go again before he ends up being able to shout out for help or start swinging.

Initiative:

Batman Initative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Yargin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

The first hit is solid, and I feel the flesh give. But he's not a small man, and he catches himself on the table, not collapsing yet. So I follow up with a quick jab to the center of the chest, one that should knock the wind out of him--and with any luck, it'll knock the fight out of him, as well.

Unarmed Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 Still against flat-footed, since he hasn't acted yet. But apparently, my Batmanning career is not to start out in a very glamorous light.
Nonlethal Damage with Reduced Hidden Strike: 1d6 + 4 + 1d4 ⇒ (6) + 4 + (2) = 12


The man fakes a thrust at you as you, and takes your moment of defense to go through the door yelling "Giggles we have an intruder, go get him children!" and he runs down what seems to be an elevated platform in the next room. You're in the rabbit hole now, I apologize for the slow posting rate. It should pick up as I enter the summer. The guy


Male Human Brawler/Investigator/Vigilante | HP 13/13 | AC 16, touch 13, FF 13; CMD 16 | Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3 | Init +3, Perception +8 (darkvision 60 ft.)

I should recognize the feint, but I'm already off-balance. By the time my hand thrusts out to grab at his wrist, he's running. So I vault the desk and move after him, focusing on his words, our surroundings. Children. I don't want to hurt them, but I'll almost certainly need to get past. There's a form I learned, but didn't master yet, for dealing with multiple opponents, or overwhelming a single foe. I quickly remind myself of the footwork, the balances. It'll have to do for now.

Moving after him, along with a move action to use Martial Flexibility and pick up Two-Weapon Fighting.


I thought my post went up, my bad dude. I'll get a post up soon, stuff has been crazy over on my end


Real quick if you could move yourself on the map I'll try to get a post up tomorrow

Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dark Knight vs. Crimson Throne (Solo Adventure) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Play-by-Post