A River of Time.

Game Master Havocprince

A Song of Ice and Fire alternate history.


751 to 800 of 803 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne made his way across the hall to check in on his mother and father to see that they are as comfortable and well as they can be for such a stressful day. He stopped outside of the door and gathered his composure before he announced himself and made his way in.


Maester Anders goes about his regular business with typical dedication. Daily, he attends to both Prince Rhaegar and the elder Naelareon whose health ever dwindles.

He catches Darne by the door on his way out. "Please do let them rest," he councils. "The day has only just begun and I fear that the stress and excitement will test both your parents as it is. "

He makes to leave, but stops and speaks his mind, "This is a good day. Well worth the cost, I am sure. But... Keep vigilant, my lord. I am not one to trust in flights of fancy, but my instinct says that we are walking on a sharp sword's edge. I cannot explain why the King has not responded to our letter. And the rift between Lyanna and Robert Baratheon still troubles me. And the machinations of our enemies in the Riverlands could spell our downfall at this most crucial time in your House's new history."

"I apologize for burdening you with my concerns at the eve of your wedding," he bows his head, "but I must council you to the best of my ability, whatever the circumstances. With so many in your halls, we must be alert and clear-headed."


Aaralyn Karstark

The lady and the knight

"If I wanted to strike at your honor you would know without a question that I was intention Arthur." Aaralyn explained. "Despite what you may believe I do hold some respect for you and you are seen as the greatest Knight of our time. So I believed I could have gotten some understanding from you. Yet I see I was wrong, which is a petty. I thought of any man of your title would understand it would be you, after all Dorne is so much more advanced than the rest of us... Even in the North Dayne is a name heard as much as Martell. Mayhaps even more so with your standing. However I seem to have assumed too much of you, which is a disappointment yet I've none to blame but myself." Aaralyn said with a simple shake of her head. "I thought someone from your background, and with the deeds you've done, would understand and have a more favorable outlook. But I see you think more like the rest of the men in the Seven Kingdoms." With that Aaralyn once more moved to leave, however she did pause and look back to him. "You said it wasn't your place to speak out, and maybe you're right, but if no one says anything how will it ever change? You are seen as the most honorable knight this land has to offer Ser Dayne. If you won't even try to stand up for what is right, then I don't think anyone ever will." A hint of sorrow in her voice as she spoke "I cannot help but wonder, do you do great things for those who cannot help themselves because of the things your oath forces you to do? Or because you know if you don't, no one would?"

Persuasion(Convince): 5d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 2, 4, 4) + (6) = 27 25

A day of... Joy?

Aaralyn awoke to a day that was normally suppose to be a happy one. Yet it just seemed like a day. Either way, it was going to be a busy one. Getting up and dressed was a very simple affair this time, and before start preparing for her wedding Aaralyn left to see Lyanna and the Prince. Seeing Lyanna in such a state made her heart drop a bit. Walking in she knelt next to Lyanna and placed her hands gently on her thigh. "Lyanna, I haven't heard of anyone showing up yet but, if your family shows are you still willing to speak with them now?" She asked.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne pauses as his Maester comes out the door. He hadn't expected to see him, since so much of his time was likely held up with the Prince's condition and his warning made him give pause and grow some concern. He had only came to see if there was anything that might help make their day easier.

His thoughts roamed as it seemed the Maester would leave before he stopped and continued to speak. Darne turned and gave the Maester his full attention. "From this day on, our house will forever walk the blade of a sword. We will certainly have to be careful. Thank you for reminding of that, please if I ever lose such a mindset, remind me."

He paused and stared at the ceiling for a moment before speaking again. "I'll speak to our Captain of the Guard. Make sure that the men don't imbibe too much today and keep their swords at hand." he said softly. "There is too much unknown to feel comfortable...Speaking of, is there anything I might be able to help with to keep my parents comfortable today?" he asked staring back at the door.


A Knight's retort.
"What do you think we were doing at Harrenhal before the King did stride forth? And why do you think we were here? To change things, to set things aright in the kingdom. What would you have had any of us do? Stab our King in the back as he gave the order?" He lets the words hang for a moment, the look on his face as impassive as before. Though you are sure your words have had an effect upon the man's baring, it does not seem the desired effect was had. "Honor sometimes requires that we stand by so that we may be there to stop the worst that may come. The Seven Kingdoms had to be united by the Prince before he moved against his father or the war would have come to every point and every small folk would no someone they would bury for it. I though you might have been better for it having been such a dear friend to that young lass that so smote Rhaegar, but I guess it doesn't matter now does it?"

The steel in his voice makes you believe you have annoyed him.
Persuasion(Intimidate)Will:4: 4d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 2, 5) + (6, 2) = 23

Lyanna.

"I don't love the man they want... The man I want to love is lies in a state close to death... If they wish to listen to me I will tell them everything they do not wish to hear." You barely recognize the girl you have spent much of your life with. Her melancholy is palpable.


"I have done my best to prepare them," he answers the young lord, to alleviate his concern. "And I have instructed that they should be returned to their quarters after the ceremony, before the festivities."

"But better to be tested on good days than bad? Despite all my concerns, this is a happy occasion. And the union certainly validates your good name."

Anders smiles, then takes his leave.

Status, stewardship: 4d6 + 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (2, 6, 1, 4) + (1) - 1 = 13
Maester Anders tries his best to keep things going smoothly... and on budget!


Aaralyn Karstark

Shouldn't have done that
"Your so called honor would demand my friend marry a man she despises, honor demands you stand by while innocents die, yet we praise you because of all the good your honor also demands you to do." Aaralyn pointed out, as her demeanor shifted, as much as his did. He was obviously annoyed with her, and it was obvious his final words had hit a soft spot. "And if you dare bring Lyanna into this again, I'll bring Ashara into it. This is a conversation between me and you, Arthur! No more no less." Aaralyn reminded him as she sighed for a moment, pausing to let them both calm down. It took a moment before Aaralyn collected herself. "I do have some respect for you Arthur, whether you believe it or not." Aaralyn said, her voice low and calm once more. "But if Rhaegar fights to take the throne, then he'll always have to fight to keep it." She stated simply. "He could be the next Jaehaerys, but if his whole rule is tied up in putting down rebellions he'll never be able to do much of anything. Not to mention that when Lyanna informs Robert that she will not be marrying him how do you think that will go over? Even more so when he is informed that it is Rhaegar she left him for?" Aaralyn asked. "War will come no matter what...." Aaralyn paused as her face paled. "And the Stag will fight the Dragon...." She placed her hand over her mouth. Her vision coming back to her. "Yet... I fear no matter what we do war will not be avoided." She told him, looking at the floor, her mind spun. "Did... did you hear about the vision I had?" Aaralyn asked him.

DR: 3 Deception Modifier: +0 Persuasion Modifier: +1

Persuasion(Convince)Will4: 5d6 + 1d6 + 4d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 6, 2, 5, 5) + (6) + (2, 3, 4, 6) + 1 = 46 44

I've no idea if I did this right.

Anything for you
"I'll make it happen Lyanna." Aaralyn promised her friend. Gently touching the side of her face, "No matter if they wish to listen or not. I promise to see you happy, even if I watch all of the Kingdoms burn for it." She told her offering a slight smile. "They will listen, for I shall make them listen."


On Honour and Prophecy.
"I did, and if you are right then nothing I do will matter past this point. The stranger will descend upon this land, and sweep away the houses. The order will be upturned, the succession of power broken, and many will find they will not live to see another season. And when that comes to pass, I hope to stand somewhere defending the weak and helpless till my last breath even if it all ends in tears my Lady. Because, that is what my honour means to me. My sword, where my prince commands it, for the sake of a future for those who can not secure it." The knight sighs and looks away. "You wound my pride dear lady, but their is some merit in your words. You have given much to think on... give me a year and next we speak I will have found you an answer."

Ser Dayne has quit the war of words, he is no match for you upon this field of battle.

Lyanna...

All she can muster is a simple "Thank you." as she looks up to you with a sad smile.


Bells in the Sept.

The time has come, the drama has been set in motion and all paths come rushing to this one point. This one day shall decide the fate of so many from the highest of nobles to the lowest child in the commons. Bells ring out, their joyous sounds signalling the events to come.

Prayers have been spoken, traditions followed, every step of the way choreographed and performed for the sake of appearance and fortune, for no one wanted to fail in the eyes of men or gods this day.

All and sundry are stuffed within the Sept, and all not important enough to be within stand bundle outside so that they may watch and get a glimpse of the procession and their new Lady of the Hall though the cold does nip and chill to the bone. Hard work indeed has been put to clearing the snow from the halls grounds, and for many this has been the first time they have stirred from the warmth of the hearth since the storms began to blow. Music stirs and rises as the wind upon this snow covered day, softly plucking pure notes into the chilled day as the weakly shining sun tries its best to warm those who have stood out in the cold for low these many hours.

The march upon the small Sept is quickly paced, though none dare run for fear of a slip, and the bride's face is still red from the air as she arrives upon the step where groom and septon stand. The warmth and softness of Darne's heavy cloak a blessing as it is laid a cross her shoulders, as much a gift of physical comfort as a blessing of signified protection for the young woman in this cold time. The septon looks from groom to bride and back before beginning. His wide face showing some glimmer of the joy he felt to perform the binding of two such as they upon this day.

"Within the sight of gods and men has this groom brought this bride under his protection. Though the storm does howl, and the snow does fall, he shall ever be their to provide warmth and comfort from the worst of winter, and cheer and companionship during the summers of their lives." The septon raises a ribbon, a small simple length of cloth dyed the colors of House Naelareon, and motions for the two to hold hands. "“We stand here in the sight of gods and men to witness the union of man and wife: one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever...”


Aaralyn Karstark

Honor of Prophecy

"It matters Arthur." Aaralyn told him with a gentle hand resting on his shoulder. "The reason why you do it, and the fact that you follow through with it does matter. After all, it is the reason I have respect for you. You try to take care of everyone but... we can't... no matter how much we want to." She sighed. "We'll figure something out... or try to." Aaralyn left with that, though she didn't want to. However she felt that anything further might just make Arthur feel worse, which wasn't her original plan.

Anything for a friend.

Aaralyn hugged Lyanna as she stood. "Anything for you." She promised. However she did have to leave to get ready for her wedding.

Bells in the Sept

With help from Tele and Helen, Aaralyn got dressed for her wedding. Her ivory gown passed down to her by her mother had been altered and redone to fit Aaralyn and her marriage into the Naelareon House. Upon her shoulders were black glass beads the formed the sun of House Karstark, upon the back of the dress just below the neckline was a stitching of House Naelareon. The gown had two main parts, a light ivory wool dress with long tight sleeves that came to a point over her hand and the top wrapped up around her shoulders but dipped in front. It wasn't so low to be scandalous though. The bottom of the from thigh to her feet just dropped any of the form fitting that the top had. The second part was more of a sheen cover the cloth was thin and showed the gown under it just enough. The sleeves of the over gown were split to reveal those of the gown underneath. Finally her maidencloak was placed over her shoulders. Normally this would be done by her father... yet he didn't come... Aaralyn wondered if that was a bad sign.

However she didn't have time to think about that long as the group made their way to the small building known as their sept. Oh the way, Aaralyn looked to Helen. "Nan... you raised me. You're as much my mother as the mother who bore me. Would you be willing to walk me to my soon to be husband?"

I'm sure she'll say yes so I'm going to continue...

Thankfully the walk was short, as the air was cold and prickled against her skin. Though being from the North it wasn't the worst she'd felt. Once she made it to Darne's side and her cloak was removed was when the real shiver set in. It made her welcome the cloak that Darne placed upon her shoulders more. When the priest motioned for them to hold hands, Aaralyn held her hand out to Darne. Her eyes moved to meet his for likely the first time since the day began.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Bells in the Sept

Darne finally found it was time to slow down and stop finding things to keep him busy. It wasn't as crazy a flurry of work to prepare the Lord for his wedding as perhaps the Lady but Darne did look his best for the occasion.

Darne wasn't as tall as his brother or as built. But he did look rather swarthy against the pale white of the snow. His skin starting to pale with less sun and work in the fields and rivers to be done. His long black hair was carefully combed and neatly cut to give it a wavy appearance that made it's way slightly past his shoulders. His beard had been cut close to his face and carefully trimmed to give his jaw a stronger appearance.

His clothes were amongst some of the finest that could be found in the area. His tunic and breeches were of high quality material of dyed dark red of wool, layered with silk to help keep out the cold. Embroidered carefully on the clothing was waves crashing made of emerald thread. The buttons made of polished silver. The collar around his neck matched the embroidery causing his greenish hazel eyes to shine.

He waited up at the Sept for his soon to be bride to come, smiling brightly despite the heaviness of the last few weeks. He watched eagerly as the soon to be Lady Naelareon made her way down the aisle and held his breath as he saw her in her finery. His eyes shown even brighter once she came closer to reveal the smile was not an act.

When her maidencloak was removed, he carefully undid the silver broach the held his own on. Pulling the middle prong of a small trident free from the hilt. The cloak was lined with heavy rich fur, bearing outwardly the dark red and green colors of his House and emblazoned with silver thread a trident on the back. He bowed his head as he placed it upon his bride and gave a small wink to her to hopefully offer her some reassurance and comfort.

When the Septon began, he stared only at her. When asked for their hands to be join, he reached out and warmly took her hand into his own larger hand. He looked into her eyes and smiled sincerely as he waited for the Septon to do his thing.


Aaralyn Karstark

Becoming real

Aaralyn was thankful for the cold air for once. It had colored her face as the walk from the Hall to the Sept was in the wind, and that color hid the red blush that bush to the front. She could feel Darne's eyes upon her as the Septon spoke.

His wink and latter taking of her hand made it settle in. This was real. Darne was about to become her husband, and since he was the Lord of this Hall she would officially become his Lady. While some fear sparked to life within her, the warmth of his hand and the smile upon his lips melted them away. He was no Tytos, that was true, but way he treated her and how sincere his smile was... Aaralyn found herself caring less about that. After all Tytos has said nothing to her father about marrying her, and it was more likely he would end up more like Brandon Stark... or gods forbid Robert Barathion! But Darne, he was different and she didn't see the possibility of those paths for him.

Gently she squeezed his hand and kept her eyes locked with his as the Septon went about the ceremony.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Much happens on that wedding day. Lothar does his best to be clean and well-dressed, with Tele assisting with both. He does his best to keep an eye on anyone nearing his brother - and new sister - with ill-intent.

And once the revelry has begun, he does his damndest to be near his love.


Maester Anders finds himself uncharacteristically moved by the ceremony, which reminds him of the dream he once had. To distract himself and, of course, ensure that all goes as planned, he dedicates himself with greater than usual attention to the management of the household and, more importantly, to making sure that the guards are all at attention and ready...


It is a beautiful ceremony,and all would agree that the joy of the couple was only eclipsed by the joy upon the elder Naelareon's face. The lady of the house had been to sick to make the journey, but Havish has made it a point to come and stand for the couple. Dear Nan wept openly with joy for the occasion.

Afterwards there was a great feast, though Havish Naelareon did not attend begging off for health reasons. All who attend danced and sang and smiled and rejoiced in the new union. No one suggested that they invade the happy couples peace when they finally left to the seclusion of their room. As the night wound down the house found themselves engrossed in their own wants and needs.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar considers escorting his father, but dashes the thought.

He does not need it and Tele is here.

Lothar looks to his own future bride.

"They look happy, do they not?"


Aaralyn Karstark

During the meal Aaralyn ensured that some was brought to her new parents by law, and when the pigeon pie was cut and after she and Darne shared their first piece she had two slices sent off as well. They had planned on hosting at least three or four noble families and the royal family but none came... So Aaralyn asked that their people got something from this as well. But even with all of that, Aaralyn did seem to be enjoying herself some what.

First night:
When the night passed and Aaralyn and Darne retired to their room. Nerves began to set in once more. Aaralyn wasn't stupid, her mother had at least told her enough to prepare her for this but hearing and actually experiencing are two different things. With the door closed and silence filling the room now, Aaralyn moved to the center rubbing her right arm with her left nervously. "The turn out might not of been as grand as we thought it might be, but at least it has allowed us privacy on our first night..." Aaralyn said, trying to break her nerves. "Did...you enjoy yourself... husband?"


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne was appreciative of all the work that everyone was putting in. He was a bit disappointed at the turn out, but this wasn't about the guests. He nodded politely and smiled at the newest Lady Naelareon as she made sure that both her new family and old were taken care of.

He made sure that some was set aside for the Prince, his men, and Lyanna. He smiled and even invited Nan up to the table to sit with the Naelareon family. She may not be blood, but it was plenty evident that she was family to his bride.

First Night:

He was honestly glad that the days celebrations were over, though he had to admit that they offered a cathartic release for all those involved. These past few months had been a swirl of activity and worry and at least for one day he would make sure to put it aside.

When he was pushed up into his room after his bride, he laughed a bit and closed the door behind him. He was thankful no one was outside shouting suggestions or attempting to barge in drunkenly.

He saw Aaralyn looking nervous now that they were alone and he could only manage to barely contain a small chuckle at the sight. "A grand affair would have been much more exhausting. I think with everything that has happened it was perfect to offer everyone a chance to breathe and live a little." he said smiling. He looked at her as she rubbed her arm and seemed to have trouble finding her words.

"Surely you haven't lost your fire now that you've been hidden away with me? Do I need to stoke that fire back out of you?" he said teasing her a bit. "I enjoyed myself, yes. But this day was yours as well. I'd be remiss to ask if it wasn't what you'd hoped for." he said smiling.

He stepped inwards to her and wrapped her in a gentle embrace for the moment, hoping to quell her nerves about the night.


Aaralyn Karstark

Aaralyn was overjoyed when Darne invited Nan to sit at their table as a member of the family. She wished Lyanna had come too, but she didn't think she'd leave the Prince's side for anything...

First Night:
"Every maiden dreams of their wedding day." Aaralyn said very factually. "After all you only get one... or well we only get one. Everything after that is expected from us can be rather deadly." She pointed out. "I thought my parents would have been here... I am sad that isn't the case but, it does mean we can ignore some of the more traditional ceremonies. We actually have peace on our first night which is a rare thing to say." Aaralyn rested her hands upon Darne's chest, her fingers gently caressing the fabric beneath them.

"I know you can't say that you love me, nor can I saw that I love you." Aaralyn admitted. "But I can say something that I believe is only given to a few." She moved her hands up to cup his face. "I believe I can be happy with you Darne. I don't know what the gods have in store for us, but I think we'll be able to face it together."


As is right, the Maester sends word by bird to the Citadel that the Houses Naelareon and Karstark have joined. He includes a list of the guests who bore witness to the union, and another of those who were invited, but did not present themselves.

"Congratulations," he offers the newlyweds as they make their way to their nuptial chambers. Honestly, he seems happy for the two who have become like family, of late. And yet...

He smiles and bids them good fortune and happiness before returning to the hall to keep an eye on the festivities. He was bid to serve wine and all to fill even the deepest thirst, which is fair and proper. But if he can fill these hungry souls with bread, then perhaps the cellars may yet not be empty by morning!


Lothar and his love.

Tele near glows in the light of the torches and the roaring hearth fire. The life inside her belly not yet marring the lines of her dress.

"They do seem happy. Now it is our time for happiness, when do you think you will make an honest woman of me?" She smiles as she teases Lothar.

Maester Anders in the hall.

The wine is poured, more than the maester would like. The bread is eaten, less then the maester had hoped. Good cheer was held by all that night thanks to his many efforts.

The happy couple.

The night passes fair peaceful, and what sleep the two had was blissful and over too soon.

The next morn...

Runners, runners at the bells. All and sundry awake to their yells. First a man runs screaming by every door, the prince the prince, something has happened to the prince. Soon though comes the running from the opposite hall, the lord and lady quick to their room, there is wrong that stalks the home.

Choices must be made. You can not save them all...


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne bolts up at all the noise and is quickly shoving himself into pants. He looks over at Aaralyn to make sure she is well. This was not the lazy morning after he had hoped for. "Rush to your friend's side. I'll be there shortly." he said as he made himself the barest of decent.

He grabbed a shirt and threw open the door. He grabbed the nearest person "Find my brother and send for him to our parents side. Send for the Maester to rush to the Prince." he said practically sweating from the rush of adrenaline and mild fear of what could happen this day.

It hurt him to not rush to his parents side, but he had been groomed for this day to take care of his House, his family. And that meant everyone, not just his parents.

He rushed down the hall, dressing himself as best he could while he went. He'd be little more than a witness he'd imagine at either bedside...but it was an important duty all the same.


By the time Lord Naelareon's command arrives, Maester Anders is already on his way to the Prince's quarters. He knows that if the prince dies in their home, their fate is sealed. And he knows that if the Prince dies under his care, his own life could very well be the price to pay.

With great haste, he rushes through the corridor, stopping only to bark orders at guards to make sure that the walls are well-manned and that the gates are shut.

"No one goes in or out," he specifies. "And bring me news! What is going on?"


Aaralyn Karstark

When the noise what what woke Aaralyn up, annoyance was the first emotion. However when what was going on settled in she quickly got out of her bed. "Yes, I'll go right away." Aaralyn grabbed her chemises and pulled it on quickly before she grabbed and robe and pulled it on, tying it as she ran to the Prince's room. It would be considered unseemly but right now that couldn't be worried about.

"What happened to the Prince? Is Lyanna alright?" She asked quickly.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12
The March Of Time wrote:

Lothar and his love.

Tele near glows in the light of the torches and the roaring hearth fire. The life inside her belly not yet marring the lines of her dress.

"They do seem happy. Now it is our time for happiness, when do you think you will make an honest woman of me?" She smiles as she teases Lothar.

Lothar smiles at his love happily.

"Now that my brother is wed, I would make our own preparations. I would wed you as soon as is proper."

The March Of Time wrote:


The next morn...

Runners, runners at the bells. All and sundry awake to their yells. First a man runs screaming by every door, the prince the prince, something has happened to the prince. Soon though comes the running from the opposite hall, the lord and lady quick to their room, there is wrong that stalks the home.

Choices must be made. You can not save them all...

Lothar wakes without too much of a hangover.

Her influence, and no bad thing!

"Remain here, my love, and bar the door against all but the trusted! I will go to find out what madness has befallen us!"

Lothar seizes his battleaxe and enters the hall, making for his brother's quarters.

I must get Darne!


Lothar and his one true love.

"To the wall with what is proper. If we wait much longer, our child will be able to witness for us." Her response was given with a wink and a giggle that told Lothar all was right with the world this night, though the pout she suddenly gave him disarmed him as easily as it always had. "Don't you go drinking yourself silly tonight, I want you awake enough to make sure the dear couple is not the only couple happily awake tonight" The months and the developing child had left Tele with more fire in her eyes and stripped the timidness from her voice. She was secure in her position and happy with every moment she could steal with her man.

The Prince's room.

The room was in disarray. Ser Selmy was hollering commands at guards rushing to and fro attempting to gather a collection of odds and ends. Though you may not know what exactly is going on, you know one thing. The Prince. He is awake.

And in another room of the castle, an old woman dies with only the comfort of her long suffering husband to witness... and he does lay down his head in her lap, letting out a sob of relief, and follows a few wheezing breaths later...


Aaralyn Karstark

"Selmy!" Aaralyn called out as she got closer to the room. "He is awake?!" She asked with shock, a bit of joy coming over her face. "How is he, is Lyanna still in there with him?" She added as she tried to push past the knight and get inside the room.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne looks around bewildered "What in the seven gods is going on in here!" he said looking around trying to figure out the situation.

Intimidate: 5d6 ⇒ (6, 1, 6, 4, 1) = 18
2 Rerolls from Attractive: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9
25 to try and get everyone to stop what the hell they are doing and explain.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar misses any servant who might have told him Darne's words and finds Darne's room empty.

The Prince!

The younger Naelareon powers through the halls, ready to strike down an assailant - or more.

Then, he hears the commotion in the Prince's room and reaches the door...


In a croaking voice, left raspy by too long asleep and wheezing breaths, the Prince responds from his bed..."What is going on? I am awake and feel like I must have slept through all of summer til another winter... Oh, let them in already... it is their hall we are in." As you push past Ser Selmy the situation is brought into sharp focus. Prince Rhaegar, looking as if he is not long for the silent sister's care, weakly blinking as he tries to focus on you. Lyanna, her long vigil finally over, having passed out in a ball curled up with her head in the prince's hand. She had obviously cried herself to exhaustion, though you can not tell if it was from happiness or deranged breaking. Your guardsmen have all stopped and looked to Darne for his next command... and into this dead silence... Lothar comes barreling through the door hollering to find out what has happened.

The room all turn their gaze upon the late coming son...


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne turns his attention to the Maester "I may be Lord of this hall but these two are under your care. Send away whomever you need to save Ser Selmy and Lady Naelareon." he said addressing Maester Anders.

He turned his attention at this point to the Prince. "You had us all quite worried my Prince. You indeed took quite the long nap, though not nearly as long as you may feel it was. Ser Selmy and Lady Stark Mary left your side. I will save the stories for later, once you are cleared by the Maester." he said trying his best to keep his manners and taking the situation in line.

He bowed his head slightly to the man and took to stepping outside with his brother for a moment. "How fares our parents? The entire house has been shouting about the Prince and them." he stated in case he hadn't heard all the news.


"Out!" Maester Anders shouts in the manner of a man accustomed to being obeyed. "The lot of you are more likely to harm him than help!"

"Prince Rhaegar," he continues without pause, "I am glad to see you awake, but you are not out of harm's way and you must rest still a while longer. Your open wound has healed, but the organs are still healing. I fear that you may find yourself short of breath for a while..."

He stops, looks at Lyanna, and sighs.. "This one will also need to rest and recover."

With that, he busies himself concocting a Valerian potion to help the lovers sleep, and a balm to calm the prince's cough.

Healing: 3d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 2) = 10


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar feels relief when he sees the Prince with open eyes and a lighter heart as he walks into the hall with Darne.

At least, before his brother's question.

"Our parents? I rushed straight to your room, found it empty, then ran here! I shall go to check on them immediately!"

With that, Lothar turns, about to resume his rush, this time to see the elder Naelareons.


Aaralyn Karstark

"Nor has Ser Dayne." Aaralyn said when Darne forgot to speak up for him as well. However after that her focus was more on her friend Lyanna. Gently she ran her hand over her hair, a soft smile on her face. "She watched over you the whole time, that is true... I guess my vision will become truth no matter what..." Aaralyn muttered. "Which... brings me to something else I-" She stopped when Lothar came in.

"He must not have gotten to someone who gave him the message. You were suppose to go to your parent's side." Aaralyn clarified to Lothar. "Something is going on there too."


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne was grateful that Aaralyn did a good job of catch the names and things that fell through the cracks in his brain. He would have mentioned him had the days of so long not held their toll on his sleep.

Last night had been the one good sleep he'd gotten in at least a month after the festivities and activities leading into the night. He watched as his brother rushed away, holding his breath a bit. Should he follow? Did duty to his Kingdom come before duty to his House and duty to his parents?

He stood there holding his breath almost a minute, not realizing it before he finally let it go and took another. What has already been done, is done. It'd do no good in his own mind and eyes to rush to their bedside now. He'd hoped for the best but feared the worst as his mother had been unable to attend the wedding and his father had gotten so ill so quickly now that the facade had dropped.

No, this was better this way. The House and himself would be seen at being dutiful and loyal to their Prince while his brother had the freedom to show the emotion of the House. Still, dreading the news, he waited by the door worrying that even though the Prince had awakened that both Lady Stark and the Prince weren't safe yet. It could take weeks before they would be deemed off death's door.

He sighed, slumping to sit upon the floor with his back against the cold stone wall. Surely gossip would spring up about him looking so tired the day after the wedding and all sorts of rumors were bound to come along. He had started the day so full of energy for the first time in a while, only to have it drained in a matter of minutes. He slammed his fist against the wall for feeling weak.


Aaralyn Karstark

When Lothar ran out and Darne stepped out as well, worry sparked up in Aaralyn. Moving around from her friend, to step outside she noticed him on the floor. Quickly she moved over to him, Aaralyn knelt down next to her husband with a worried expression on her face. "Darne?" Aaralyn said as she placed her hand against his cheek.

"Are you feeling alright?" She asked. "You haven't eaten anything yet, we should get something for you."


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne had been lost in his own mind as worries were relieved and new ones had so quickly taken their place that he'd forgotten himself and his where he was. When Aaralyn had touched his face, it snapped him back to the present for the moment.

"I'm alright, just perhaps a little too relieved and worried at the same time." he said looking up at her.

"You might be right, perhaps a bit of bread and water is in order for everyone till things settle down and we can all sit down for breakfast." he said as he stood himself back up. He took Aaralyn's hand and helped her up after him before kissing her on the cheek for worrying so much about him. "I'll have a page send for it all, we should at least get two hands standing by at the Maester's call to fetch whatever he might need." he said trying to get back to the business at hand.


Aaralyn Karstark

Aaralyn gave a small smile when Darne kissed her cheek, it was a warming feeling. "Do remember to take care of yourself." She told him, still holding his hand. "You're the Lord of House Naelareon now. You always have to keep up a face... unless we're alone."


In the Chamber of the Prince.

The Maester is able to get the Prince to sleep, though his rest seems fitful at best and his cough seems the ragged hoarse cough that might hang in for the long term. Lyanna on the other hand sleeps the sleep of the truly gone, exhaustion have long since overtaken her.

Guards hop to carry out commands and Ser Selmy finally begins to relax as he nervously watches the Maester's ministrations.

In a Room of Darker Mood.

They are so still, it almost looks as if they had fallen asleep and were just dreaming. But the stench, the stench spoke of a different story entirely. Lothar's parents had passed within minutes of each other, and already the late stages of the disease had begun to take hold of them. A trickle of black filth hung from his mothers lip, and a stain of the same sickly color formed where his father's too still head lay in her lap.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar's eyes grow wide and he is momentarily stunned into silence.

Then the words creep out, first as soft trickles, then a great wave.

"Seven....no! NO!!!"


Lothar

Lothar is only met by the still silence of his parents room, as servants rush to see what can be done for his pain, and find their skills most lacking. And in the corner, a silently weeping Tandi sits against a wall, her world having died tonight with the last breath of her lord and lady.

The prince's chambers

The change begins to sink in by the moment. Darne and Aaralyn can both feel the weight of destiny as it bares down upon their shoulders. Nothing can be the same now. No matter how hard they try, prophesy has a funny way of doing what it will no matter the cost.

Aaralyn can at least take comfort in the look of peace that suffuses her dear cousins face now that she sleeps soundly. Darne, well... the knowledge that his lands will not be ravished for the death of the prince should come as a relief, though it feels a hollow one against the promise of yet more to come.

And as the right of the world sinks in... Tele near bowls over a servant as she clears the corner and collapses into a huffing heap on the floor. Tears streak her face, and her labored breathing speaks to the effort she has expended in her journey to her lady's side...

Only a few simple words can make their way past her constricted throat..
"Lord... Lady.... dead..." she reaches out to her Aaralyn as she rasps those dread words, a pronouncement that now hangs in the air like the tolling of a bell...


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar turns and stumbles out of his parent's room, though still seeing what was in there.

He staggers through the halls, still seeing the same sight and hearing only silence, though servants may try to get his attention.

He keeps going until he turns and is once again in a familiar doorframe, his ashen, tear-soaked face showing what his lips will not.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

At first it looked like Tele's words had fallen on deaf ears. Darne sat frozen in place for a few seconds, the words racing through his mind as his body tried to catch up with the meaning of them.

Suddenly he was moving, running past his brother, knowing the face he saw had only confirmed what the woman had said.

Still, he wouldn't let himself believe it till he made it to their doorway. It took several long moments, what seemed like days before finally his hand touched the door and pushed it open.

He stood there in the doorway staring at the scene, waiting to see if a breath would draw. There he waited for minutes, unflinching, barely breathing himself. Finally, he managed to croak out a few words "Get...the Maester here as soon as he is able." he said simply.


Aaralyn Karstark

Aaralyn had stepped up when Tele burst into the room. The look of her face gave away something was wrong before she even got the words out. The moment they did leave her lips however, Aaralyn understood. She pulled Tele into her gentle hushing her friend as she lead her to a place to sit.

"Calm, calm yourself Tele. You can't do this in your condition." She told her as she moved some hair out of Tele's face. "Breath, take deep breaths." Aaralyn instructed her. Aaralyn would go see to Darne once she was sure Tele had calmed down. As much as she knew this would be a hard time for him, there was little she could do but offer comfort. But in Tele's condition this kind of stress was bad for her and could lead to the situation becoming worse. Thus for the moment, Tele was Aaralyn's focus.

Looking back to Lothar, Aaralyn spoke out. "Lothar, come here." She instructed as she motioned for him to join her at Tele's side.


Darne.

Servants run off to grab who they can. This leaves Darne standing alone in a silent tomb, the only sounds are the pounding in his chest and the barely audible sobs of lady Tandi.

The Prince's room.

Tele lies where she is, mucus streaming down her face and shuddering sobs wracking her body. It is clear she has seen something that will haunt her for the rest of her days. Around this knot of pain and loss swirls a torrent of servants trying to find anything they could to appear busy and stay out from under foot.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar wordlessly joins his sister-in-law and future bride in a cluster of shared woe.


Aaralyn Karstark

"Take care of her Lothar..." Aaralyn said as she stood and made her way out of the room. The motion of the servants felt so strange but she knew what they were doing. Making her way through the hall to the Lord and Lady's room. She knew Darne would still be there.

Aaralyn reached out and touched Darne's arm. A warm hand, a gentle reminded, that life was still there even in this tomb that wore the disguise of a room. "Darne..." Aaralyn breathed out softly. "I'm so sorry."


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar does not openly acknowledge Aaralyn's words but does not hesitate to embrace his bride-to-be.


Maester rushes into the room, and cannot but regret having gone to the bedside of the prince.

"Maybe I could have saved them," he laments. But he knows that, in the end, the sick elders were fated to die and the prince's survival was paramount.

"I'm sorry," he apologizes to the noble people who, not long ago, took him in as maester and, thus, gave him a chance at a better life. Suddenly, the young man seems older, weighed down by the hardships of the recent weeks and months.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne stands there for some time then as the Maester breaks the silence he shakes his head. "This disease had been plaguing them for some time...unless you are a miracle worker, it was their time."

He pauses for some time "I don't imagine to know your job as a healer maester...but they deserve their rest." he says numbly and somberly.

He rests a hand on the man's shoulder for a moment and then leaves the room almost stumbling in his current mental state. Should anyone be watching him...he seems to be making towards where the horses are.

751 to 800 of 803 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A River of Time. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.