A River of Time.

Game Master Havocprince

A Song of Ice and Fire alternate history.


651 to 700 of 803 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar watches in open joy as his brother's arrow strikes true.

"Aye, Darne, a fine shot!"


Maester Anders also congratulates the young lord, "a fine shot indeed!"

Ill-equipped and untrained to hunt, he watches the others and takes advantage of this rare moment of relative peace...


The prince smiles, pulling back is string and taking aim... and noticing the large stag that had charged in their general direction. He looses an arrow and you watch as it sinks into the haunch of the stag, a dead shot in a lesser beast, but the shaft only slows the creature for a moment as it breaks off in the fleshy meat of the shoulder.

To his credit, the prince does not panic as three hundred pounds of venison rears up and kicks him full in the chest. As he crumples to the ground the deer stands over him and whips its head back and for, trying to keep the three of you in view.

Aaralyn:
Tande composes herself, keeping an air of excitement and mirth about her the whole time."Oh there are a few in and out of the hold, especially during the fairs. I believe their is a Myrish man currently in, they always do have the finest of cloths don't they?"


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Animal Handling: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 1, 2) = 8
Attempt to stab the beast!: 3d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 5) + (2) = 11

Darne attempts to get his horse under control and turns it towards the Stag. He looks to the Maester and the guards "Protect the Prince! Brother, let's take this beast down!"

I assumed I would need to steel my stead and then because we're mounted perform the charge action as per the "Mounted/Jousting" rules which removes one of my test die.


Seeing the Prince crumple to the ground and following Darne's orders, Maester Anders rushes to Rhaegar's side, heedless of the danger.

Healing, Treat Injury: 3d6 + 1d6 - 3 ⇒ (3, 3, 6) + (6) - 3 = 15


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar roars as he drives himself and his spear at the stag.

Agility Quickness: 5d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 5, 1, 4) = 17 16

Fighting: 5d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 5, 3, 6) = 20

I don't know the spear damage.


The maester rushes forward, taking stock of the damage to the prince's chest while Lothar and Darne stab forth at the beast of their lands. Boar spears meet in the middle of the creatures body and both men can feel the connection as it ripples back down the shafts of their weapons. The prince does not stir from where he lays.

Maester:
As best you can tell, the man has had the air knocked from his lungs, any other real medical diagnosis would require you removing his shirt and coat. A trickle of blood runs down from the side of his mouth, possibly from blood welling up in his lungs or from his head contacting the ground. His eyes are open and attempting to focus...


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar does his best to push the beast, living or dead, away from the prince's prone form.

Athletics: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 3, 3) = 17


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Second stab: 4d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 2, 3) + (6) = 20
Spear is Athletics. 18 this time around. Given he wouldn't need to charge or could charge with the horse, Darne will do a much simpler attack to make sure the beast did in fact go down for the count.

Darne pulls his spear free as his brother shoved the creature off his own. Not wasting a second, Darne gives another stab at the creature before looking over his shoulder "How is his Maester!?!?"


Aaralyn Karstark

To each their own:
"Well I guess. But is there one you all prefer? Or ones to avoid?" Aaralyn asked. "I want to bring pricing back to Darne when I explain my idea. So that he can choose, as this would be taking away a choice from him." She explained.


"I – I'm not sure" Anders admits while retrieving his Maester's Kit and removing the prince's shirt and coat. He proceeds to clean and treat the wound...

Healing, Treat Injury: 3d6 + 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (5, 5, 5) + (1) - 1 = 15


Aaralyn:
"Any would suffice as long as you make sure you get the cloth you want for a price you can accept. Oh I know, how about we make a trip of it? It would be ever so nice to get you out of the hall and into some fresh air, and get you some time among your future subjects as well. Oh please say you will my deary." Tande looks like the cat that caught the raven, having come up with what she assumes is a grand plan.

maester:
It is not good. He may live, or he may drown in his own blood before too long. It is in the Father's hands whether he makes it through a night, but if he does you hope you may nurse him to health without permanent impairment.

The stag falls dead and the maester rushes to assess the prince's wounds.


"We have to get him back to my quarters," Maester Anders spurs them. "Carefully!"

As the brothers carry the prince, Anders tries to keep pressure on the wound, inasmuch as possible. Hoping to keep the Rhaegar focused and alive, Anders urges him to speak of his home, of his love, of his hopes and dreams – anything to keep him awake!


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar says to the Maester, as he tries to firmly but not harshly pick up the prince by under his arms.

"I will grasp as you say, but tell me!",


Aaralyn Karstark

Why do I not like that look?:
"Outside of the Hall." Aaralyn muttered. "It would be nice to see how the people of this land are, how different or even similar to those of the North." She agreed before she looked to Tele and Lyanna. "Shall we do as Tande suggests, make a day of it?" She asked.


Aaralyn:
Tele seems happy to go wherever, Lyanna chooses this chance to tease you a bit about your new status. "Oh of course Lynnie, one should know those they will be overseeing. And such a grand lady you will be too, but how grand will you be if your subjects never see your northern beauty? Besides, how much trouble can four noble ladies find themselves in within your future lord husband's domains?" Tande gives Lyanna the dirtiest of looks, but holds the acid tongue in check for the nonce.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne looked at the Maester and then at his brother. It would be a long walk to try and keep the Prince stable enough for the Maester to save him in this situation. He held up a hand to his brother as he moved to try and pick up the Prince.

"It would be too slow and arduous a journey to protect the Prince in his current state. Brother, grab your horse and drive it to an inch of it's life as fast as you can to Hall. Get the carriage together post haste and return on the same path. Don't spare the horses, we have some here to replace them with. Time is of the essence." he urged.

He looked at the Maester and then at the Prince's guards "One of you, help me carry him as carefully as we can. It might not save us much time but every bit helps. The rest of you, round the horses and protect the Prince." he said issuing orders to everyone.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

"It will be done!", says Lothar, as he runs for his horse.

A fine beast, but weighed against a Prince, the balance comes short.

Lothar drives his mount as swiftly as he can back to the Naelareon Hall!

Animal Handling: 3d6 ⇒ (4, 5, 3) = 12


Lothar spurs his steed to action, racing hard towards the hall. Darne and the maester are left with the remainder to carry and protect the Prince. Hard worry and doubt begin to set in now that the initial shock has worn off.

Lothar:
You push your horse hard and fast, making good time along the trail. You see your destination within sight, though not close enough for your liking, when your steed suddenly lurches forward as its ankle twists and gives out in a small gopher hole you missed in your haste.

Agility Acrobatics test please, as you try not to break your own neck.


Aaralyn Karstark

Touble indeed:
"That is like asking how much trouble you and I could get into while at Winterfell!" Aaralyn said with a shake of her head. "Don't go jinxing it! This land is still unknown to me... Darne was going to show me about but... well what time we had to try and spend together was snatched away by forces outside of our control." Aaralyn stated with a sigh. "It must be hard on him... his mother so ill, then to have his father fall so as well with out wedding date closing in..." She commented as she looked at the floor, her thoughts turning to the state of her future husband's mind. "We don't need to cause trouble for him... there is enough with the wedding preparations, now Tele's marriage, and... and my vision..." A shake of her head parted the words, "We need no more trouble at this time..." However she them smiled at Lyanna and Tele, moving to loop her arms through their. "So, let us enjoy ourselves but not cause problems."


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

DAMN!!!!!!

Lothar does his best to not be thrown into a tree or trodden by his injured steed.
Agility: 4d6 ⇒ (3, 1, 6, 3) = 13


Lothar, I will ask you to be patient as I catch Aaralyn's group up to speed. Maester, are you doing anything to specifically look after/maintain/improve the chances of the prince? Or to put another way, would you like a hard medical roll to try something to alleviate pressure on the lungs with the chance of making it worse or just stay the course and keep him from drowning on his own fluids with an easier roll?

Aaralyn:
"Do lead on dear cousin, and show us your realms wearable wares." Lyanna adopts the haughty airs of the exagerated caricature of southern nobility you imagined them to be as children for just a moment before her infectious laughter spilled forth. The three of you find it hard to not find fun in the idea.

I need an idea of your plans. House guard coming with? Any extra house maids or man servants to help carry things? Are you bringing actual coin with you yourself?


Under the circumstances, Maester Anders prefers to avoid dangerous medical interventions and to stay the course, hoping that the prince will survive until they can carry him back to the keep. Once there, he will need to alleviate the pressure in his lungs...

Healing, Treat injury: 3d6 + 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (1, 1, 5) + (4) - 1 = 10


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

@GM: That's perfectly fine.


Maester Anders stabilizes the prince's wounds, though he does no more than keep the man from bleeding out at this point. Moving him now without a carriage or some kind of cart would surely be a death sentence for the man, and soon after a death sentence for the house if the Maester's constant worries had anything to say about the situation.


Aaralyn Karstark

Something overlooked:
Aaralyn chuckled slight but gave a shake of her head. "Well, there is still one problem." Aaralyn said with a slight wave of her hand. "We'd need guards, a small bit of protection at least. But I have none here." She pointed out as she sighed. "And Tande's statement may also be held by any number of the guard. I could have little to no authority over them at this moment. I am not yet Darne's wife, just his intended, so some of the guard might not listen to me even if I command them to come with us and defend us should something terrible happen. Which means I cannot ensure anyone's safety... That is something I'm not sure I can risk..." She sighed finally. "And Darne is not here to give them the order."


Aaralyn:
Both women look to each other and smile a knowing smile. Lyanna is the first to speak, "Since when have we ever needed guards to keep us safe in our own lands? This is your home now, so take charge and show them northern women do not back down. You are a wolf, not a goose."


Aaralyn Karstark

You have forgotten:
"My homeland was not like that of Winterfell Lyanna." Aaralyn pointed out. "I remember fondly running at your side through the lands your father owns, but the lands of Karhold were never as freeing. Father kept me in the hold as often as he could, the raids of the wildlings were too great a threat to him. I was never more free than when I was with you Lyanna." Aaralyn said honestly. "Yes, that is the freedom I wish for here." She declared boldly. "Though till I know this land like I do Winterfell, I will have at least two guards however! You are a guest of this house Lyanna, I will ensure your safety to the best of my abilities." She said before she turned and looked to Tande "I would like it if you could come with us as well, I would like your opinion, and for you to suggest two guards that you trust."


With worry in his eyes, Maester Anders looks up at the new Lord Naelareon. "It's not good," he speaks plainly.

Would the Master fo Ravens have a raven with him? Or could/would his familiar crow be nearby and act as a messenger to convey news to Aaralyn?


And this is where we finally catch up to the time frame. Thank you all for your patience.

Tande agrees to come with, bristling with puffed up pride at the trust you place in her. "I have just the two in mind dear. And sure as the rain we will find you what you need." The party makes its way down to the market that forms around the road into town, finding no trouble as they search among the traders their for the wares they seek. Aaralyn is just beginning to haggle with a gentleman over the price of a few bolts of cloth when a commotion pulls her attention to a bruised and fatigued Lothar making his way into town and calling for the aid of the guards as loud as can be.

Ravens are not normally carried out into the field as they only know one destination each. your crow on the other hand might be persuaded to carry a message, but you have yet to fully explore the kind of control needed for such a trick.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar staggers out of the woods, covered in debris and cuts, and into town, roaring with every bit of his considerable lungs.

"THE PRINCE LIES INJURED! READY THE CARRIAGE NOW!"


Aaralyn Karstark

Aaralyn's blood ran cold when she saw Lothar. She breathed out his name as she took Tele's arm and pull her along, know the others would follow were they went. It also wouldn't surprise her if Lyanna had noticed Lothar first. Always on point she was that one. Either way Aaralyn swiftly made her way to the exhausted Lothar. A thought did cross her mind, obviously something was wrong but... where was the Prince? Where was the Maester? ... and where was Darne? "Lothar!!" She called as they got closer.

Hearing his declaration Aaralyn spun on her heels and pointed at one of the two guards they had taken as protection. "Tell the captain of the guard to get the carriage ready, and that there is to be no less than ten men going with it. You will all come here and follow Lothar's trail back." Aaralyn demanded then looked to the other one. "You! Help me get Lothar to a place he can rest." Aaralyn commanded as she went to aid Lothar.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar shakes off as much of the fatigue as he can.

"A stag struck the Prince. Darne and the Maester tend to him, but he can not be moved without a carriage or cart, and he will perish if left in the woods. I will gladly lead but we must make haste!"

He glances back, seeing in his mind's eye a trail of rushing trees and branches.


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne looked down at the prince with a somber look. He nodded to the Maester "Unfortunately the arts of healing have always been beyond me. We can only do as best we can. Moving him without some way to keep him from being jostled would be far too dangerous, even I can see that...so we must rely on my Brother to make it to the castle and grab a carriage." he said dejectedly.

He sighed, how was he right about it being dangerous to be out. Just what was with the creatures lately. Surely it wasn't normal for a Stag to charge a group of people like that. And with the bear earlier...this was getting worrisome. He needed to have these things looked into.


Guards hop to and people clear the way at the commanding presence of their soon to be lady of the hall. The added benefit of the younger brother to the lord does not go unnoticed. Carriage and horse are brought at once and the girls look to Aaralyn to see what she will decide to do next. A horse is offered to Lothar to replace his lost mount.

"We are ready." is the only statement a town-watchman makes as they wait for their next order.


Aaralyn Karstark

"Good." Aaralyn stated before she looked to Tande, Tele, and Lyanna. "Please return to the Hall." She asked of them. "We're going to need a proper room prepared for the Prince when we return, I can trust you all to see to that. I'm going to travel with Lothar and the men to get the Prince, Darne, and the Maester." She explained. Then she looked to Lothar. "I hope you still have it in you to ride." Aaralyn said as she herself took the reins of the horse that had been brought for him and placed them in his hands. "Because I need you to get on this horse and take us to them." She told him before she got up onto the seat to sit next to the driver of the carriage.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

"Of course! Onwards! And watch for my fallen steed!", replies Lothar, as his muscles kick in to move his horse.

Lothar urges on his fresh mount and takes off!

Riding: 4d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 4, 5) = 13


Lyanna grabs hold of the carriage and leans in to speak to Aaralyn "The I have read a few of the Maester's books on the healing arts, what I haven't gleaned from Walys' books I have picked up from the midwives... you need me Lyn, you know you do. Besides I can't let you have all the fun." Northen pride burns in the woman's eyes as she pleads with her friend.

Persuasion(Convince): 5d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 1, 5, 2) = 16 I'm assuming affectionate both ways, unless you want to say the stress puts you at amiable or friendly right now. 12 influence, minus your dr of course.


Aaralyn Karstark

"Are you sure about this?" Aaralyn asked. "Especially after what I told you?" She added, she obviously had a bit of regret for telling Lyanna. Not because she should have kept it hidden, but because she wanted Lyanna to have a choice about her future and not turn to it because of what Aaralyn had seen.


"If he dies in your lands, what will anything matter?" Lyanna responds, the implications being clear.


Aaralyn Karstark

"Valid point." Aaralyn said as she motioned for her to get into the carriage. "Go." She demanded of the driver the moment she heard Lyanna close the door of the carriage.


The cry of horse and man mix as Lothar flies through the woods, the carriage not far behind. The sight when they arrive is one of blood and death. A stag lies dead and near it the prince lies bloody and still near to the Maester and Darne. Doubt hangs heavy as Lyanna rushes to aide the Maester, it does not even seem possible that the man who's continued life may hold your house's fate could be saved.


When he sees Lyanna Stark at Aaralyn’s side, Maester Anders is reminded of the importance of this man’s life. If the prince dies, so might House Naelareon!

”There is nothing that I can do here. The wound is too grave,” the Maester admits. ”We must take him back to the safety of our halls where I can operate. Carefully.”

Heal (Treat Injury): 3d6 + 1d6 - 2 ⇒ (2, 3, 5) + (4) - 2 = 12


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar dismounts with haste.

"What else can I do? Shall I lift the prince into the carriage?"

Lothar's voice betrays deep uncertainty and worry.


Aaralyn Karstark

Aaralyn quickly jumped off of the carriage, a look of worry upon her face. "Are we sure we can move him?" She asked when she came to their side. Taking in the Prince's condition she covered her mouth. "Lyanna!" Aaralyn called back to the carriage. "We're going to need your help I'm sure."

Then she looked to the group "Lyanna had picked up a thing or two from reading the Maester's books and from midwives back in Winterhold. If there is anyone here who would be of most use to you Maester Anders it would be her."


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne paused, he hadn't expected quite all of the people who had come along for the ride to save the prince.

He looked at Lothar. "Carefully. I'll help lift him as well." he offered.

He looked around "Maester, Lyanna. Go with the Prince once he's safely in the carriage. Take all of the Prince's men with you when you head towards the castel to guard you well." he said looking around at who that would leave. He didn't like the idea much of leaving wife to be to trod along with him and his brother so exposed after such a harrowing day.

Still, unless she was to ride up on the driver's seat, then there would be no room for her. "Lady Karstark, might you be able to handle the Prince's steed?" he asked not completely sure of her riding skills.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar nods.

"Aye.", he says simply, as he restrains himself from seizing the Prince like a sack of grain, and tries his best to be gentle when lifting.


Aaralyn Karstark

"I believe that depends on the steed." Aaralyn said, trying to be a bit funny to liven up the mood though she was sure it could fall flat. "I've little experience riding, but I will try. I've really only ridden from Karhold to Winterfell and back." She said honestly. Really Aaralyn rode with her father or brother when they went to Winterfell, at least till she was older and could sit her own horse without problem. Moving to gather the Prince's steed, Aaralyn reached out to Darne and gave his arm a gentle squeeze. She was glad to see he was alright.


Lyanna scrabbles aboard the carriage, and between her and the maester the prince is kept stable. Aaralyn is pleasantly surprised by how well behaved the prince's steed is. The group manages to get the prince into a bed back at the hall and the worst of the panic is put down. Once gotten into a bed and pulled out of his garments, it is clear the prince has a bruise swollen along the majority of his chest. Every now and then he coughs and wheezes more air into his lungs, but both the maester and the Lady Stark believe he will live.

The one question on every person's mind, how to inform the king...


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Lothar turns to Darne.

"Would it help if I stood guard before the prince's room?"

651 to 700 of 803 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A River of Time. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.