A River of Time.

Game Master Havocprince

A Song of Ice and Fire alternate history.


301 to 350 of 806 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Aaralyn:
"Oh, you do not own a cat dear. Dogs sure, horses, but never a cat. It is more a friendship with a neighbor. He likes pets, just mind you reach on his good side," The large tom looks on at you, almost daring you to try and reach around to his blind side.

Darne:
"A good idea to be sure, but men of the iron islands are... different. There is a reason we do not do much in the way of trade with them. The one thing they will trade for grudgingly is wood for their ships... though for that we can squeeze quite a few dragons from their hands."

Maester:
You rush to your chambers to find your crow nestled into the back of his cage. Old Harald, the Lady's cat, fruitlessly attempts to bat at him from where he sits. As you enter he turns to stare at you, his one good eye trying to focus on you at a distance. Your crow caws at the brute, it almost sounds like he is screaming help to you, or maybe go away...


Aaralyn Karstark

GM:
"Ah, so cats don't act like normal pets then." Aaralyn comments before she gently begins to pet the cat's good side. "Lady Naelareon, what is Darne like? Or was he like growing up? What are his hobbies? Things he enjoys?" She asked. "I am to be his wife, and so I should get to know him... but I feel that would be easier if we where doing something he enjoys." Aaralyn clarified.


aaralyn:
"Each animal acts in it's own nature, just like people. Ducks nature is that of a good boy, one who moves to save a person from drowning even if it might drag him down. He tries so hard to be his brother, he never expected he would be the heir... I would give up the whole thing just to have all three of them together again." Harald coughs as he tries to pur, and Lady Ruoth wheezes a bit as she leans back into her pillows.


Aaralyn Karstark

GM:
Aaralyn wasn't sure what to say. After a moment of silence she asked "If I may... I understand if you wish to not speak about it but, what happened to you eldest?" Her tone was low, and she was obviously nervous about asking.


aaralyn:
Ruoth lays with her eyes closed, her voice barely a whisper now."The winter and the wall took my boy from me."


Aaralyn Karstark

GM:
Aaralyn sat there in silence after her answer. It had many implications but while she wanted to know Aaralyn couldn't bring herself to press for more information. "I'll leave you to rest. When I am able to get a book from your Maester I will return and read for you."


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Meeting Hall:

Darne pauses for a moment and stares off towards where he last saw Aaralyn when his father brings up Lumber. He scratches his chin a bit "Hmm, the North has a rather sizable amount of wood at least...If the Iron Islands would prefer lumber to food, we could always trade with House Karstark to help further their food supply for wood to trade to the Iron Islands at a small discount for a season or two..." he said musing and scheming a bit.


Aaralyn:
Ruoth seems happy with your promise. She is still smiling as you leave the room and notice Lothar waiting outside.

Lothar:
Arralyn steps from your mother's room, and notices you standing in waiting.


Aaralyn Karstark

Lothar & GM:
"Ah, Lothar." Aaralyn said as she stepped out of the room. "I am sorry if I kept you waiting to see your mother." Aaralyn began, though it was an assumption that he was here for his mother. But she felt it was the right one as she couldn't think of a reason for her soon to be brother to wish to speak with her at this moment. "Could you tell me where your Maester is? And your brother?"


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Aaralyn:

Lothar eases himself from where he was standing and gives Aaralyn a short nod. He asks:

"Lady Aaralyn. How was my mother? Well enough to talk?"


Aaralyn Karstark

Lothar:
"She was, or seem, well enough to speak when we began." Aaralyn answered with a small sigh. "But now... well seeing you might give her more energy." She told him. "I am leaving her to rest though."


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

Aaralyn:

I wonder what they spoke of. The wedding, surely?

"Certainly. I will go in now. Good day!"

It is clear that Lothar is distracted by something, even from curiosity, as he makes for his mother's chambers and knocks on the door.

"Mother? It is Lothar. May I enter?"


Aaralyn Karstark

Lothar:
Aaralyn watched him walk past her with a small look of annoyance upon her face. She hand answered all of his question yet he had not done the courtesy of answering either of hers. Aaralyn made a mental note of that before she left to seek out her betrothed.


GM:

"Thank you" Anders sends the guards away, blushing. Everyone will know about this by tonight.

He shooes away Old Harald and takes a moment to calm the crow before finding a safer place for its cage. It is only afterwards, when he is on his way to the rookery, that he begins to reflect upon the odd instinct that drew him to the bird's defence. I'll have to name you, he thinks to himself, reassuring himself that the event was no more than a coincidence, but deep inside knowing that there is more to it...


Lothar:
Your mother's voice comes weakly from behind the door. "Oh my baby boy, come in please, come in."


Aaralyn Karstark

Without a sure place to go, Aaralyn began to wander the area. Stopping to ask any of the servants she met if they had seen Darne or the Maester. It was a little strange to be wandering around a place she didn't know at all yet in three months time would call her home.


The Maester is generally with Lord Naelareon, in the rookery, in the library/study if such a place exists, or tending to the sick and wounded... Unless the GM says otherwise, Anders is presently in the rookery sending messages to Maesters in the Iron Islands.


Time frames. Iron islands meeting happened a week after you guys getting back. But, he could be in the rookery checking on the ravens as he has just gotten back.


That sounds about right!


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

Lothar swallows, opens the door, and enters.

I do not like seeing her like this.

He closes the door behind him and walks up to the bed. And on the way, gauging if they are indeed alone.

Awareness: 3d6 ⇒ (4, 1, 2) = 7


Lothar:
Lothar's eyes search over the room for errant intrusion, and find only his mother and the ragged feline that has kept her company as long as anyone can remember. Ruoth smiles at her son as he enters.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

As satisfied as he is going to be, Lothar approaches his mother.

"Mother, I...how are you?"

He feels foolish even as he utters the question.


Lothar:
"Oh my dear little boy, you have come to visit. How are you sweety? Come give your mother a hug, I won't break." As if to put the lie to this, her cough sends a shudder through her body.


Aaralyn Karstark

Aaralyn found a bit of luck, or really logic, and found her way to the rookery and thus to the Maester.

"I hope I am disrupting anything." Aaralyn said to announce her presence. "I was hoping to speak with you if you wouldn't mind?" She requested.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

Lothar hesitates a moment. And then realises himself, and leans in to hug his ailing mother.

After a time holding her, he slowly lets go and shifts to kneel by the bed.

"Mother, I am...confused. What have you heard about the incident with Tele, the Northern lady's maid?"


Lothar:
"What has you bothered? Did you do something sweety?" Your mother looks at you without a hint of concern in her eye, just with the warm all encompassing love you have always gotten from her. Her body may be weak, but her heart is as big as it ever was.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

Lothar sighs, his head lowering a notch.

"Yes, Mother. I did. I found Tele. And some time afterwards, we grew...close. Very close. I would not have her shamed. She suggested that I marry her, and I am of a mind to do that. I would have your advice on how to go about it." At this point, he has raised his head again, determination growing on his face as he remembers why he is here.


Lothar:
"You found her? Grew close? I don't understand. You haven't been gone that long dear."


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

"It's been some days, Mother. And I felt there was something there between us from the start, and I was right."


Lothar:
"Start from the beginning sweety. If you are talking marriage I am happy, but I don't know anything if you won't tell me what is going on."


Lady Aaralyn:

"Lady Karstark," the Maester greets her formally as he sets aside his pen and ink, and stands politely. While he makes an effort to smile, it is plainly obvious that she is, in fact, disturbing him.

He invites her to sit with him in a set of worn armchairs and offers fresh water. "How can I be of service?"


Aaralyn Karstark

Maester Anders:
"I will do my best to be brief." Aaralyn said, taking note of his state. "I was hoping to borrow a book from you, something to read to Lady Naelareon?" She requested pleasantly.


Lady Aaralyn:

"That is most generous of you," Maester Anders commends the lady while considering her request. "Something entertaining... Most of the books here are rather serious... This one... Yes, this one will do!"

Smiling, he pulls out a large tome and hands it to Lady Aaralyn: A Song of Ice and Fire.

I couldn't help myself. It had to be done!


Aaralyn Karstark

Maester Anders:
"Ah, my thanks." Aaralyn said as she took the book from him using both hands. "She seems a kind woman, and she will be my mother by marriage in a few months time so... I'd like to get to know her a bit. She expressed interest in this so I thought we might share in it." Aaralyn explained. "I shall return it once we have finished it." She promised before asking "Now, might you know where I can find my betrothed?"


Lady Aaralyn:

"He could be anywhere," Maester Anders answers. "The docks? The fields? If I were you, I would send for him, rather than to try to hunt him down."

Torn between pleasantries and his present responsibilities, he hesitates a moment before continuing rather awkwardly. "You are well? You are finding your way?"


Aaralyn Karstark

Maester Anders:
"Well enough." Aaralyn said with a partial nod. "It is still an... unfamiliar place after all." She continued. "Thank you for asking, but please return to what you where doing. I'll see about finding my husband to be. Send for him as you say." Aaralyn motioned for him to return to his work and see herself out.


Lady Aaralyn:

The Maester stands and bows politely. As he does, a raven caws loudly. He hushes the bird but, paying him no heed, it jumps off its perch and onto his desk, and caws again, loudly, as if to bid Lady Aaralyn goodbye.

Maester Anders shakes his head. Absentmindedly, he conjures some seeds from a pouch attached to his belt. The raven feeds from the Maester's open hand. "It follows me everywhere," the young man explains, both amused and, uncharacteristically, somewhat embarrassed.


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

Lothar groans inwardly, and then begins to speak.

He talks of seeing red at Tele assailed by rogue men. It is not something he has ever been comfortable about talking to his mother about, the battle fury that he slips into when truly enraged. He remembers slaying the men and rescuing Tele. Returning to the castle, Tele in terrible condition and unwilling to move. So the two remained in the room.

And in hiding, the two were close...

And at this stage, Lothar has gone beet red.

When he recovers a little, he says:

"And that is why I must marry her. I would not see her shamed and left."


Aaralyn Karstark

Maester Anders:
"Really?" Aaralyn asked surprised as she moved to the desk to look at the crow. "I wonder why it's taken to you." She wondered a loud as she reached out to pet the bird gently.


Lothar:
Ruoth drags her frail body out of bed, stumbles towards Lothar, and falls against his frame feeling as less weight than the clothes on his back. Looking up she smiles faintly as her arms encircle him to the best of their ability. "Oh my poor foolish bighearted boy. What have you done now? Your brother's may have gotten the luck and the drive, but you got the lion's share of the goodness." For a moment it is like it was when you were young, your mother holding you and telling you this hurt or that will be alright. "We have no choice, you will make an honest woman of the girl, and provide me with many grandchildren. I expect at least twelve... no, better make it a baker's thirteen. You will look so handsome in your father's colours. Oh, and she will be a beauty... it will have to happen soon, before she shows. It is known that eagerness of a marriage can make the child come early, yes it can." Her manic energy and giddy delight are infectious, and for a moment it is like your mother was young and vibrant again. Until, as it always happens, the coughing began...


Lady Aaralyn:

"I don't know," Anders admits, staring at the bird. "It has followed me since our trip back from Harrenhal. It's quite unusual for a raven..."

He shrugs.

"I will walk with you. I must tend to the crows," he decides, perhaps too eager to change the subject.


Aaralyn Karstark

Maester Anders:
"Oh, how... odd." Aaralyn said to his story. "As you wish, though you don't have to. I know you had something you had to do, I could tell." She told him with a small smirk pulling at her lips. "This is a change from how we interacted the first time. Though I'm fairly sure being thrown into a river by a bear... and having to jump into said river would make things difficult for anyone."


Initiative 4d6 , Combat Defense 11 , Health 12 | Intrigue Defense 7 , Composure 12

GM:

Lothar feels relief and happiness at his mother's reaction.

She does not think less of me. Thank the Seven!

He holds her warmly until the coughing eases.

"Well, there will be no shortage of trying!", he says with a grin, and laughter.

"So, how to go about it? The wedding?"


Lady Aaralyn:

Maester Anders offers only a polite smile in response to Lady Aaralyn, as if to say, the past is the past.

"Do you have any news from your kinsmen? We have heard little since Harrenhal and I continue to fear the worst," he changes the subject to more serious matters.


Aaralyn Karstark

Maester Anders:
"I heard nothing yet no. Though they do have further to travel than we did." Aaralyn answered. "They will send word Maester." She told him. "After all I am here, they will want to keep in contact before the wedding."


Well, I was up way too late for this one... maybe I should not have left it till the last post.

Lothar:
"Oh yes, a wedding will be great. Your father leaves for one week and manages to get both you boys to settle down. So, tell me about her."

Aaralyn and Darne.:
Aaralyn finally manages to track Darne down as he is weeding the family vegetable garden. The sun has begun its slow descent towards the far horizon and night barely begins its inexorable march a crossed the land.


Aaralyn Karstark

Darne:
"I do hope after we're married that you're not so difficult to find." Aaralyn said as she stood behind Darne a respectful distance. A soft smile graced her lips as she added "Unless you just find my company so terrible?"


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Aaralyn and Darne:

Darne looked up a bit surprised having been engrossed in the task at hand. "Ah, forgive me. It is a...thorn in the sides of my family. From a young age, I have had a fondness for staying busy. Trying new things and learning from anyone with the patience to deal with me." he said wiping his brow a bit.

He stood up and dusted some of the dirt and weeds off his britches. He smiled "I've managed to work out a system since we've been uplifted. There is a young lad who keeps tabs on where I am, he stays near the kitchen. I make it a habit to send a messenger with an update every time I decide to move on to something else. Talk to him, unless his Nan in the kitchen has him doing some chores, then she'll know." he offered.

He looked down at the garden "It's not much, just a hobby really. I don't think I was ever cut out for farming...but it is good work to lose yourself in when you need to think after a long day. A couple of the kitchen workers help tend to it when I'm not around, but make sure I got a couple of hours work when I'm home." he said nodding.

He looked up at Aaralyn and realised he was being a bit rude and rambling on. "Apologies, I assume you've sought me out for one reason or another. I'm sure it's not to listen to me ramble on. I hope that everyone has made you feel at home since this morning?" he asked.


Aaralyn Karstark

Darne:
"I have not been treated poorly, and I got to meet your mother." Aaralyn said, a simple answer that could easily be taken neutrally. "I like her, and have offered to come and read to her from time to time. I even got a book from your Maester." Aaralyn explained as she made her way closer to Darne. "You know, she said a thing or two about you. Guess any children we have will be ducklings." Aaralyn teased with a small grin. "But you are correct I came to find you for a reason. I am curious what your hobbies are. As we are set to marry I want to know more about the man I will call husband."


Combat Initiative 3d6 Defense 13 Health 9 Intrigue Initiative 3d6 Defense 9 Composure 9

Darne and Aaralyn:

Darne's face fell into a slightly disappointed and annoyed look at his mother's nickname coming up in conversation. He sighed "I had hoped to at least have a few months before that nickname came up" he said shaking his head.

He scratched his head a bit when she mentioned hobbies. He honestly never considered anything he did to be a hobby as he didn't do anything for purely fun. Still, he had a couple of things he did regularly "I'm not sure if they would be called hobbies...but I do enjoy and often fish, sail, read, and tend to the garden. I don't mind the hunt, though I only started such once we became merchants as a way to talk with the nobles we were looking to work with. Rather boring affair most times but it seems to come with the territory of dealing with nobility." he said trailing off on a tangent for a moment.

"And what do you enjoy filling your time with? I know you had mentioned before that you were mostly kept in the castle, but I hope you will enjoy a bit more freedom now that you're at home. If there is something you are interested in trying out or seeing, don't hesitate to ask myself or the Maester. I am sure we can find a guide or a teacher in the subject if you'd like." he offered.

301 to 350 of 806 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A River of Time. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.