The Faceless GM's Irrisen: The Realm of Winter Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master kamenhero25


2,051 to 2,100 of 2,189 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Tiferet only nods silently, almost deferent to the unbent strength of spirit this woman is showing. Whereas a lesser spirit would have been broken by the news, this woman has chosen to stand by their side. It seems they might have gained an ally, yet even then at the direst of costs.

"I meant what I said – no matter what comes, my blade is yours."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara hesitates for a moment, tries to read the motion of the people of this village for anything unusual and to find any unusual patterns on what's going on. Anything that would explain this strange similarity.

She sticks close to Morgraine, since that seems to be implied in her role. She makes sure that the hood and the mask do not make the traces of fiendish appearance all too obvious.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 17

"We should probably see to make some money out of the equipment we don't need... I still carry an extra sword around and we have picked up quite a few things." She remarks.

"This village may just be a village, despite its curious properties." She does not sound particularly convinced. She notices Tiferet's conversation with Nadya but does not wish to interfere, because she does not wish to bother Nadya more than necessary and Tiferet certainly got a better hand for it. Still, she tries to catch a look from Tiferet every now and then.

In the meantime Nathara goes through there inventory and sees what they can sell.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Morgraine frowns as the others make the comparison between this village and the one on the other side of the world. It did look nearly identical, now that they had mentioned it. But how or why could that be? Morgraine could not even begin to guess.

She nods at Nathara's unconvinced-sounding statement that the village was just a village. Her thoughts had run much the same way, and left her feeling much the same. Though she supposed there wasn't much she could do about it at this point, even if there was some nefarious purpose or explanation for the oddity.

At the mention of selling extras, she nods thoughtfully. "You are unlikely to get much in the way of coin, I think. This place looks fairly poor. Yet you might be able to barter or trade, though other than bits of food and clothes, I am unsure what we would need. Perhaps we will have a clearer picture of the days before us once we've spoken with Nadya further."

By the way, do any of the villagers appear to have weapons? Are the lower classes allowed to wield martial arms, or are they pretty restricted?


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

With Eirikr

The dwarf smiles. "Cold day, am I right? Especially for outsiders. I suppose I should apologize for some of the folks round here. They're not exactly friendly to anyone they don't know." She laughs. "Took my forever to get so much as a smile from most people round here. And forget anyone coming in for a haircut..." She shakes her head. "Where are my manners? Rusilka Sighjalmsdottir, village barber, dentist, and doctor when Rolf's busy."

Town Square

"I appreciate that," Nadya says. "I can put in a good word with the shop keepers if you have any trouble too. They know better than to mouth off to the guests of the person who brings in half their stock." She nods to Morgraine's question. "Most villages like ours survive more on barter than gold. And Verana and Emil are more likely to want to save their gold for when the next caravan comes through."

Mierul collects her things and nods to the party, then bows to Morgraine. "This place may be beneath your standards my lady," she says. "But I wish you the best of luck on your travels none the less. But I'm afraid I cannot stay longer." She trots away across the snow, whistling a soft tune to herself.

No sooner is the forlarren gone, Vosi reappears, having been keeping a little distance from the caravan. "Sneaky humans... that one is dangerous. Seems... familiar. Couldn't talk while she was around. Not until Vosi was sure..."

Most of the villagers seem to have utilitarian knives that could be used in a fight, but no one is outright armed.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

To Mierul, "Luck to you as well, MIerul. Safe travels."

To Vosi, "Yes. I am afraid we are unlikely to have seen the last of her. She was definitely hiding something. If you remember where you have seen her or who she is, let me know. It could be important. I suspect that she is very likely.... 'involved in things'."

Let us hope she has not already seen to much.


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

"Barber, dentist, and doctor? Not at the same time, right?" says Eirikr, offering the dwarf a smile in return--but then remembering his teeth and closing his mouth again. He had never actually talked to a dwarf before--not a lot of dwarves in Lozeri, though he had seen a few back when he had been traveling with the Varisian caravans. At first, he had thought she was a child, until she started to talk to him. She was obviously an outsider here--probably a good place to start asking about the town then. "Not too cold. I've seen worse. Name's Eirikr Thundersblood, came in with the carvan. Not a lot of dwarves in Irrisen--how did you end up here?"


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Thank you, Nadya" Tiferet says heartily. "It means a lot to us... all that you're doing for us here. You're a guide in more ways than one."

She tersely answers Mierul's nod as the Forlaren takes her leave from the party. Despite her own suspicions, she can't help but feel slightly surprised when Vosi voices his own concern about the fey-touched bard... and Morgraine claims to have already seen through her tricks. "For her to mention the possibility of the Black Rider passing by so close to where he was actually ambushed – no picked up rumour could have told her that. You think she was lying about everything else, too?" she asks Morgraine, a hint of incredulity in her voice. To Tiferet's ear, Mierul's words were pouring out of her lips like honey – good thing there was someone among them shrewd enough not to be fooled by charming manners and a musical voice.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

”Not necessarily about everything, no. Remember though, that the best lies are always those that are mostly true. When she was speaking of Whitethrone and the rumors of the riders, she was hiding something. When I asked her the witch’s name, she most definitely lied about not knowing and that her learning about it from an accidentally overheard conversation. This, and she most definitely knows far more than she tried to let on - and these things should throw suspicion on everything she told us. I rather suspect that she may in fact work for this witch, whomever she may be. It would certainly help explain why she knows what she does about the rider and why she “just so happens” to be in the area at this time. Always be on your guard with everyone, Tiferet - all of you. We are navigating thin ice while blindfolded and hopping on one leg right now.”


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire whispers through the connection, now that the woman is gone, "Sorry, Eirikr." then starts to speak once again, though still quietly, "I'm not very good at lying... but it's easier to not lie, and instead tell the truth. Don't offer what the other person isn't asking for. Tiferet, Eirikr, Nathara and myself are all here to protect Morgraine and Eve. That's not our only purpose, but it's entirely true. We don't really need to say Morgraine is Jadwiga, either. People will draw that conclusion on their own.. or won't. And lying about it will just lead to trouble if they don't believe it on their own. Likewise, we don't really need to say what Eve is doing unless they specifically ask... and then she's infinitely better at convincing someone of her job than I'll ever be." she adds quietly, picking out information from stories she'd read.

Then, much more quietly to Eve, "How are you holding up? You seem... off. And who's Malcolm?"


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara nods to Mierul as she departs and watches her leave with mixed feelings but is glad to notice Vosi re-appear. She nods as Morgraine asks him about Mierul but does not add an own question at this point.

"I have a feeling it would be better for us to stay in motion and not linger too long..." she remarks to Morgraine and Tiferet, keeping her voice low. "Let's hope Mierul did not learn all too much, but if she did it's better to not be predictable. We need to discuss our next goal somehwere safe..."


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Rusilka chuckles. "That is a long story," she tells her visitor. "If you have an hour or two, I can explain, but the short version is that my ex-husband was seeing another dwarf on the side. I took a little... action against him. I still keep his beard over the mantle inside. Suffice to say, I was exiled from Five Kings after that. I worked my way across the continent with a caravan and well... this place felt like it was right somehow."

Vosi nods vigorously at Morgraine's thoughts. "Yes, yes. Definitely a sneaky one. Spy or informer. Keeps an eye on things for one of the witches. Don't know who, but remember seeing her before. Might be here to help old mistress. Might be here to sabotage old mistress. Don't know. Should be careful of her."


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

"I almost want to see the beard. Was it a big beard?" asks Eirikr, before remembering what he had wandered into the village to do in the first place. "From the Five Kings? That's a long ways away...I think. But uh, so you're not really from the village then. But you might still know things about it. When you don't really belong, sometimes people talk about things they shouldn't in front of you, you know? Anything going on here?"


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn followed the others around for a while while she gathered an idea of the town but after answering Mouse with a short lie she wasn't able to sell very well. "No one important."

Bluff: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19

She'd head off on her own to see if the town knew more about Malcolm.

Diplo(Gather Info): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16
Gather Info: 1d4 ⇒ 3


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

But a lie that Inire would take at face value. Even if she didn't believe it, it wouldn't have any positive impact to not believe. "Alright." she nods, continuing to follow along, but broke off to go to the tavern after a few moments, where she'd begin to listen to others talk (if they'd bother doing so), while adding to her 'gazetteer'.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

With Eirikr

Rusilka grins. "Nearly as long as he was tall. Bast*rd deserved it." She shakes her head. "I don't know about where you're from, but people round here clam up the moment they see someone they don't know. And they know everyone who lives in town inside out. Most of 'em have been neighbors for generations." She shrugs. "Don't know about anything special goin' on. It's been pretty boring 'round here for weeks."

With the caravan

Eve takes a bit of a walk around town, but she gets basically the same reception as Eirikr. Hardly a person is willing to chat. One or two people are at least willing to listen, but they brush her off, not having heard the name before.


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

Eirikr thanks the dwarf and returns to the rest of the party--though not before taking a look in the shop to get a sight at the shorn beard.

"Nobody seems to know anything. There's a dwarf who cut off her husband's beard though, it's worth having a look at. Nothing else though," says Eirikr when he gets back to the others. "We might not want to stay here long. Untrusting. Probably won't like outsiders lingering in town."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Discreet, inconspicuous and not too eager to volunteer information we weren't explicitly asked for" Tiferet says having thoughtfully pondered Morgraine and Inire's advice. "And a half truth is always better than a full lie. Got it" When she stepped through the Portal, she did so ready to face a full-fledged contingent of trolls and guards – even the Witch herself. But this – this climate of deceit and mistrust everyone, from the Jadwigas to the humblest peasant, seem to be part of – this somehow manages to be even worse: more frustrating and probably quite as deadly. There's a far reaching shadow looming over Irrisen, colder than Winter itself. And now it threatens to grab the whole world in its clutches.

"Nadya has graciously offered her residence if we want to have a conversation far from prying eyes" she then chimes in, elaborating on Nathara and Eirikr's remarks. "Might be a good place where to decide on our next step without attracting unsolicited attention."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara nods in relief. Every other second she makes sure her "disguise" is well situated and she looks haunted between the villagers, sticking close to Morgraine and Tiferet. She can barely resist the temptation to put her hands on the hilt of the sword. Instead she clutches her hands to fists, so that the claws are less conspicuous.

"Someone's home in which we are actually welcome is going to be a rare gift in the near future and we should cherish it." The thought what Nadya lost crosses Nathara's mind again and her expression gets a bit darker again, but she set s to leave for Nadya's place.


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

"One person being overly friendly in this village could be a defense so we should still be careful of her, it's easy to keep an eye on someone when you control who they trust." Evelyn spoke in reference of the dwarf.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire looks up from her book, where she was busily scribbling. "I'm not doing anything I can't do anywhere else." she says, supplying a shrug. "I'm ready to go when you are." she adds, but makes a silent note to herself that she doesn't like quiet towns that don't like outsiders. It usually means more than it says at face value.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Eirikr peeks into the door of the barber shop, seeing a carefully cleaned beard that must be somewhere in the realm of four feet long hanging over the fire place. It's even still braided and tied in place to keep it looking nice.

Nadya nods. "My house is at the end of the street. This way." She whistles and gets one of the dog sleds moving down the street to her place. Nadya's house turns out to be a sturdy, warm looking cabin at the edge of town. She guides the sled to the side of the house and unfastens the dogs, letting them run back into the warmth of their kennels along the side of the building. "Pojkar! I'm home!" The party can hear the sounds of at least two pairs of feet as the front door is thrown open and two identical boys, maybe five or six years old, burst out. "Mamma!"


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire snaps her book shut and tucks it under her arm; the weather seems a lot less... bad. She follows slightly behind and to the side of the group as they move through the tiny town to the little house on the end, pausing as the woman starts to release the dogs from their bonds. She smiles as the dogs run into their own little houses, and then looks quickly to the sound of scampering feet as the woman calls out. She'd expected a husband.

When the children round the corner the tiny smile returns for a moment, as she watches them passing through the middle distance, but then the smile slowly slips away as her eyes move away from them and towards the snow, eyes falling. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, drawing her book in closer to herself.


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

As the dogs run to their shelter, a thought occurs to Eirikr. He looks at Ashen, and then to the dogs, and back to Ashen--and then he then scampers after the dogs, Ashen following behind him, before crouching down in front of their kennel so he can properly converse with them.

Wolf:
"Hey! My name is Eirikr, and this is Ashen--our pack isn't from here. But you know that. But your pack is from around here. Has anything weird been happening in town? Anything your lady might've missed?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

Forgot to mention that Eirikr casts Enhanced Diplomacy before talking to the dogs. Oh, and if Nadya's dogs don't know anything, Eirikr will ask them if there are any dogs that stayed in town while Nadya was away he could talk to. Also, and I realize this is a long shot, but would his +2 wild empathy racial trait count for this check?


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

As she walks the short distance separating Waldsby's square from Nadya's home, a sense of gloom clouds Tiferet's mood – the feeling of being about to enter a dusty, deserted house, its owner long absent, the mirth of childish laughter replaced by a heavy, eerie silence.

Much to her delight, those expectations are quickly shattered as soon as they step in. Thora had brothers. Twins, by the look of it. She can't help but smile warmly at the sight of the two boys running to meet their mother, keeping in the background to allow Nadya to fully savour this moment.

The smile is short-lives, however, as another, darker thought enters her mind. She's already lost one child. If word of her helping us reaches the Witch's ear...


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara notices her sister's dark mood and steps a little closer to her, but this not seem like an opportune moment to talk.

The tiefling smiles beneath her masks as she sees the two boys. So that was probably the reason why Nadya seemed to be in relatively good shape, she just had to pull it together for her sons. And they are quite lively.

She is a bit unsure of whether it is a good idea to take her mask off, for her appearance might scare them. But she performs a playful curtsey. "May the Daw... a good day to you, young lords." she says and a bit of the cheery attitude of the brothers reflects in her voice and eyes.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The dogs nose around in their kennel a little bit and Eirikr can't really tell if they're paying attention to him or not at first. Then one of them looks at him and barks a few times.

Dog:
"Strange. No strange. Mistress takes us on long run. Not be in town to see strange people."

The boys both run to their mother and throw their arms around her. "Mamma! You're back!" They hug her tightly and Nadya sweeps both of them up in her arms.

"Yes I am." She kisses each of them on the cheek. "And I brought some company for the night." She turns to the party, still holding the boys in her arms. "Everyone, this is Orm and Mjoli. They're my boys. Boys, these are some friends of mine."


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

Finally, someone he could have a decent conversation with, thought Eirikr as he talked to the dog.

Wolf:
"Are there any other dogs in town?


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire toyed with her ravens a bit more, as her eyes moved back to the children, same arm tucking her book against her as she gave the children a small wave. Her voice stayed low when she spoke in Skald. "Hi."


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Morgraine smiles lightly at the two boys and inclines her head slightly.


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn walks slowly aiming to be at the back of the group, giving this type of charity to strangers in such a small town raised suspicion from Eve to say the least.

SM: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Tiferet tries to push her dark thoughts away and enjoy this brief sliver of warmth they've found in this cold, harsh land. One day they'll have to learn their sister is dead – one day, but not today. For now, let mother and children take solace in each other's embrace.

"Why, hello young men!" she says, tousling their hair.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

One of the boys, it's impossible to tell which, giggles at Tiferet while the other looks a little embarrassed. "You're pretty," he mumbles. The other boy looks up at his mother. "Are they going to help us get Thora back?"

A pained look crosses Nadya's face.. "Let's get in out of the cold and we can talk," she says. She sets the boys down and ushers them inside. She glances at the party, silently inviting them to follow as she steps into the cabin.

"Careful elf," Vosi mutters in Nathara's ear as the party heads inside. "Vosi feels something here..."


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire chews on her lip as she follows quietly after the woman, eyes darting around to take in the 'typical home' of an Irriseni trader.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara nods (careful to not hurt Vosi) as she hears Vosi's whispered warning. She tries to make eye contact the others, particularly Tiferet and Evelyn and gives them a sign to watch out with a finger next to her eyes, preferably when Nadya is looking elsewhere.

If she by any means can without drawing too much attention she casts Detect Magic.

It feels wrong to suspect Nadya, who has been so helpful and shown the hospitality to invite them to her home. But Nathara is walking on unfamiliar grounds cannot ignore a warning.

Nathara follows inside afterwards and there is a subtle change to her stance - graceful and smooth as ever, but someone who knows her might realize she is expecting to draw her sword and fight at every moment.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Flatterer" Tiferet says, her eyes twinkling with mirth just as a quick laughter escapes her lips. "Quite a lady-killer in the making you've got here, Nadya." Her smile dies as soon as Thora is mentioned, however. The moment is over she dejectedly realizes as she follows the trio inside.

And yet, even as the last, bittersweet aftertaste of the joyful family reunion she's just witnessed lingers at the edge of the soul, she manages to catch a glimpse of Nathara trying to get her attention. A warning she thinks, her left hand unconsciously looking for her axe. As much as she doesn't want to believe Nadya's leading them into danger, she knows better than to double-guess an explicit signal from her sister.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

Unable to get any information from the dogs, Eirikr reluctantly enters the house with the rest of the party.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Knew I forgot something...

Dogs:
"Dogs? Yes, other dogs. Hunting dogs at stables."


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn begins to speak an near instinctive lie to the kids when they ask about Thora but forces it back down, leaving the choice about informing them up to their mother.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Nadya motions for everyone to follow her inside. "Boys..." She stumbles over her words for a moment. "I'm sorry. Your sister is... she's not coming back." The boys look at each other then at their mother. "Why not?" one of them asks. "You said you were going to get her back!" His eyes are wide and confused. "You promised!"

Say something! Anything!


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

RWBY:
"Sometimes bad things just happen." - Qrow, and later Yang. I'm so, so sorry.

Inire was quiet as she entered and looked to the various things that made this house a home. Then came the next line, and she closed her eyes. Not quite red-on-white... but the white backdrop of the world had made everything so much more stark ever since they had arrived.

There had been gray before they knew, but Eirikr during camp had moved forward with black-on-white. And now with the children, a gentle lie from Eve might have helped, but while Evelyn's instinct was to lie, Inire's was to tell the truth.

I'll leave things floating until sometime tomorrow, to allow someone else to do what they feel is right. :)


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara felt seriously uncomfortable with the situation. Both with the two children he demanded to know where there sister was and with whatever it was that Vosi warned them about. She does follow inside and took a look around.

But she had to help Nadya with explaining Thora's absence to the boys. Nathara opened her mouth, closed it again and then eventually said what just what is on her lips. She speaks Skald and weaves in pauses, trying very hard to keep her accent low. "Sometime bad things happen and no matter how hard we try, there is nothing even grown-ups can do about it." Most elves did not consider anyone below the age of one-hundred to be even remotely grown up; however, Nadya was clearly more grown up that her boys.

"Thora is in a different place now, a place where not even your mom can reach her anymore. Only the lady to whom the chapel is devoted can say where." If Thora managed to travel through the stream of souls to Pharasma's citadel yet, which Nathara doubts. "Your mom wanted to keep her promise and thought she could. But sometimes even grown ups are wrong. Sometimes there are powers greater than us beyond our control. Sometimes things are just as they are and even your mom can't change them." Now that was a bad last word.

"What we can do is to try and change things so that something like this cannot happen again. And if you want to do something to help your sister, then listen to your mom, for even if she's not all powerful, she still knows what's best and she is still the bravest and strongest women I ever met in this country. And tell Pharasma how important Thora is to you. That won't bring her back, but it can help her."

She looks concerned to Nadya to see whether that was alright. Half of her was still tracking the environment to find out what is out of place, what Vosi's warning was about. She remembered that the witch had seen them through the eyes of the doll and that she was probably looking out for them. And she remembered her own promise to burn the white witch.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 5


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Sorry figured Eve wouldn't really be up to facing them without being able to lie

Evelyn was pained to watch the children face reality instead of her much more comforting lie but it wasn't her choice to make so would instead try to help comfort the children.

Diplomacy?: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

"She's not coming back because she made sure we were able to get her safely and make sure we could help others, A truly heroic act."

Bluff: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28

After she offered what she could to the kids she'd try to change the subject with Nadya. "Maybe we should give them time and move on?"


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Technically, it wasn't a lie, even.

If she could talk without doing so in front of the children, she would continue the conversation, highlighting on what she saw as the important bits.

"There were moments when she was herself. She swapped between Common and Skald. She said that her mother was a guide named Nadya... but she was eventually pulled back to the doll."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

The voices of her companions breaking down the horrible truth of Thora's death is but a distant buzz in Tiferet's ears. She had hoped this moment could come as late as possible, but she was wrong. And now she realizes it was as much cowardice as it was piety which stayed her tongue.

She averts her gaze, unable to look the twins in the eyes in the moment of their realization. Even after they've entered the house, she stays conspicuously silent for a while.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The boys both look a little lost. "It's not fair..." one of the boys says. "It's not fair..." He clutches his mother as he begins to cry. The other boy grabs her other leg and begins to cry too. Nadya carefully scoops the boys up and holds them close, letting them work out their sorrow. "Give me a few minutes," she tells the party as she takes the boys off to another room.

She returns a few minutes later. "I put them to bed," she explains. "We'll have time to grieve later. But now, we have work to do. The witch needs to pay."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara nods. The desire for revenge was a strong motivator and could help tap unknown powers within onesself. The trick was not to succumb to it and be used by it, that was the path of a demon. Whenever she closed her eyes visions of putting a horrible end to the witch, of which tearing her testines out with the witch's living body claws and fangs in a frenzy of rage was amongst the mildest. To use the rage and yet stand true to the grace and elegance of an elf, that was the trick.

"Indeed" Nathara answered simply. "And we must tread both swift and careful. It is possible that Lady Nazhena already knows that we're here. And if she knows that she also knows that we are in your company. And then it's only a matter of time before she makes her move; we must under no circumstance loose initiative. But all kinds of deception might be dangerous..."

Nathara has fallen back to speaking common again and her words appear somewhat absent minded. "Please don't say anything our enemy doesn't already know for now. I have the strangest of feelings..."

Nathara sets her backpack softly down to the floor and her ears move slightly as she's scanning for sounds. "Did you notice anything unusual, Nadya? Anything about the house that was not quite as you expected when you entered? I need to cast a spell and we should make sure there are no eavesdroppers."

Cast: Detect Magic

She looks around to the others to see what they are thinking. Vosi's warning meant something. But she did not know what. Maybe Nadya was not was she seemed to be, maybe she was being blackmailed with the lives of her sons... but then, why would Vosi have noticed it?

Nathara looks around thoroughly whether she finds any auras which seem unusual.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Nadya nods. "Don't worry. I know how to keep myself from being... observed." She looks around. "The witches use mirrors to spy on people. I'm always very cautious to make sure that there's nothing that they can use in my home. As long as you haven't been around a mirror too long, there's no chance that they'll know you're here." She nods to Nathara. "But if you insist..."

Nathara:
Nathara scans the room. There are lingering hints of magic over the entire house. There are hints of transmutation, enchantment, pure magic, and a bit of a stronger resonance of illusion.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

"They can use dolls, too, from what I heard." she added, looking between Morgraine and Tiferet. "If you think it had to be physical..." she trails off looking between Eirikr and Ashen. Nathara being on high alert finally dawned on Inire as something more than just tension over the situation or something previously unseen regarding Nathara and children or families, but rather of a warrior-mage tipped off to something nasty, when she suggests as much.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Not-so-quiet Mouse isn't able to accommodate the spirits that rested in the creaky old bones of a well-lived in home, as she swiftly darted to double check each room for signs of infiltration - water near windows, or back doors and the like - trying to find something that Eirikr might be able to start with if there was something for her to find.


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn was relieved when the children were down for night and she'd no longer have to witness their grief while they focused on their next move.

"I vote our first move should be intelligence gathering, we don't really know what we're going up against here beside 'very powerful' and the shards are still on the table."

2,051 to 2,100 of 2,189 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Faceless GM's Irrisen: The Realm of Winter Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.