The Faceless GM's Irrisen: The Realm of Winter Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master kamenhero25


1,751 to 1,800 of 2,189 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Arms folded, Tiferet keeps herself conspicuously aside as the others gather around the Rider. Give the wolf a wounded sheep's clothing she thinks and the fiercest hounds shall surely be moved to compassion.

Still, she sees Nathara's point, even though she can't help but be reminded that the path down the Abyss is paved with seemingly harmless intentions. "I suppose being the only force even the Jadwigas should answer to, your presence alone might have tempered their worst excesses... Illarion. I still find it hard to believe, though – but you don't need my sympathy or my loyalty. Merely my cooperation. For now, it appears our next battle is at this Pale Tower. The seat of power of one Nazhena Vasilliovna, I assume."

Sorry, busy day! No more questions to ask, so feel free to kick the scene forward ;)


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The Rider nods slowly. "And from there to Whitethrone so you might claim Baba Yaga's hut. But... her hut will be useless to you as you are now. It is bound to Baba Yaga's power and will only obey one who has been granted leave by her." He reaches back, drawing his cloak off over his shoulder and holding it out to the party. "This is her gift to me, the Mantle of the Black Rider. It is both a sign of her favor and a fragment of herself. If you accept the burden of my mantle, then both the power within and Baba Yaga's favor will pass to you. It will allow you access not only to her hut, but to many sites of power that only her greatest servants can access. You will need both the power and the privilege to succeed." His frame shudders as another hacking cough rattles his body. "I know that I ask you to take a great burden, but you are the only ones who can. Simply place your hands on the mantle and I shall pass it's power on to you."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara had not seen that one coming. The mantle of a dark rider. There was no telling what it did to you if you took it willingly. Would whoever carried it become a minion of Baba Yaga him- or herself?

Nathara knows that she already carries a bit of a creature of darkness within her. Whether that is a good reason to take it or whether she should be the last to take it she does not know.

She takes a step closer and reaches her hand out, but then hesitates half-way. "Do you mind?" she whispers looking to the others as her hand is slightly shaking.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Tiferet stands still, arms still folded, closely examining her companions' reactions.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Getting a strong Animorphs vibe here.

"What is the cost?" Inire asks, looking to the man who could look into souls. Surely there had been one - and likely a terrible one.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

"You are not the ones that will pay the cost for this."


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

Eirikr shrugs his shoulders and grabs onto the cloak.

"He's essentially a fairy, and this is essentially a wish," says Eirikr, holding the hem of the cloak. "At some point, there will almost certainly be a castle, and a princess who one of you will have to marry, and a wicked queen, and probably a magic sword. I prefer spears myself, but I wouldn't say no to a sword that was magical."


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire watches Eirikr's hand as it touches the cloak, watching carefully for any twists or fey trickiness... but she turns to Evelyn just after. Her guide to the 'real world'. "What do you think..?"

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Morgraine had eyed the cloak with a look of temptation as he first held it out, yet something held her back - some suspicious instinct likely born of her upbringing. Taking the key had been one thing, and probably risk enough, but this... this was something far beyond.

As Eirikr's hand closes around the garment's hem, she suddenly voices her thoughts aloud:
"This privilege... is it truly just a manifestation of her favor? Say the nigh impossible is done and we accomplish this task - Elvanna is cast down. What then? You refer to this cloth as your "burden". Can the one who will wear this mantle remove it without consequence? Or will it be her shackle as much as her favor? I do not doubt your words that it may be necessary, yet if we are to do this, we are owed at least the full truth."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Evelyn shrugs. "We don't stand a chance against anything in the portal without help and if we don't shut it we might as well kill the town ourselves." She takes the cloak in hand as well.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire chews on her lip for a moment, looking from Morgraine to Evelyn as she crosses the distance. She starts to wait for the answer... but then realizes just how right Evelyn is. If everything were as bad as it was being made out to be, this really was their only choice. She reaches out and takes the cloak in hand.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

"Baba Yaga can remove the mantle, should you desire to depart once your quest is done. It is still an extension of her and she can withdraw her power whenever she chooses. However, as long as she is missing, her connection to the mantle is too weak to recall it. As long as I hold the mantle, I am bound to the duties that are inherent in its nature. I am compelled to act as Baba Yaga's herald and her champion, should the need arise. With the power distributed between you six, the compulsion should be dispersed enough to make it a mild annoyance at worst."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara takes a step back as soon as Eirikr touches the mantle. So we are all meant to take a part of it.

She hears Evelyn's comment, but it does not feel quite right to her. "Morgraine, Tiferet, what do you think?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

"I think that he speaks truly and means what he says... Including that part where she can remove the mantle and withdraw her power whenever she chooses. Clearly it is her choice, not ours. Perhaps with that power spread thin over the six of us we can resist her compulsion. But has such ever been tested before? And what if one or more of us should fall, would not her power over the remainder grow stronger?" I have no wish to ever again be under another's thumb!!

After a moment she speaks again, a note of defiant resignation having entered her tone. "But I also fear that he and Evelyn are also correct. We cannot fight Elvanna alone as we are. That much is obvious. So, either we go forward without aid and die in a futile resistance; we stay here and wait for winter to spread and live what existence we can under Elvanna's rule; or we do this thing and hope at the end we do not live to regret it. I think that I do not like any of these options, but I also think there really isn't a choice."

She steps forward, but does not take hold of the cloak. Instead, she looks back at the remaining two to see what they would decide. It is obvious that the blonde woman had no intention of going through with it unless it was unanimous and the full six would share the burden.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

"Powerful magic could separate the mantle from you by force, but ti would have to be magic beyond ordinary mortal arcane power. The mantle is meant to be worn by one person. Dividing its power among six is something that even Baba Yaga had not planned for. I can only attempt to explain what my own knowledge of the arcane tells me." He frowns. "If one of you were to perish, one of two things might happen. First, the mantle could simply attempt to return to Baba Yaga, as my brother and sister's mantles did. Of course, this simply placed them in Elvanna's hands. Or, the power would go dormant within the rest of you until you found another to take up the mantle. I hope that it is the second, but I cannot be certain."

Knowledge Arcana or Spellcraft DC 22:
The magic the Rider speaks of it theoretically possible, but incredibly difficult. A mythic augmented limited wish, miracle, or wish spell could free the party from the mantle


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12 Heh.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

Nathara lowers her head, takes a deep breath and closes her eye. "Then Sarenrae have mercy on my soul should I be making the wrong choice here today, for I am not sure whether I deserve it."

She raises her blazing red eyes again and grabs quickly for the cloth, afraid that she might change her mind again if she hesitates to long.

"I believe it is thinkable to separate from the mantle again... but it would require a power way beyond my own, and even then it's not just a matter of power, but... of your place within the fabric of space and time. Only certain... entities, which are central nodes weave in the in what some like to simplify as fate can even attempt it."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Knowledge (Arcana): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 uhm... It's magic Missile right? I bet it's Magic Missile!

"It seems we've already decided we need this power in order to succeed. I wonder what would have happened if we had never fortuitously stumbled upon you, Illarion." She makes a point of calling the Dark Rider by his name. If what he said was true, he originally was one of Irrisen's Ulfen... just like her. Let us both be reminded of that.

"I say we would have probably pressed on nonetheless. It seems you, or Fate, have conspired to make cowards of us all" she jokingly says – though how much of it was actually a jest she has left purposefully unclear. "And if we have already accepted in our hearts that our own powers won't be enough to face the challenges ahead, where shall we draw the line? Will we always crave for more, strike more deals, and rationalize that such sacrifices are inevitable for the greater good to triumph?" She's still looking at the Rider, but it is clear she's addressing her companions instead. And yet, only she and Morgraine remain who haven't partaken of the mantle's power. Even my Dark Sister has embraced it.

"It is a dangerous road to tread upon" she laconically concludes, but with the spent voice of someone who knows she has already lost.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

"Cowards don't make sacrifices for people they'll never meet." Inire says softly, small brown eyes looking towards Tiferet.

"I don't know that it will be necessary. But perhaps there will come a time, where, without the power we gain today, someone would suffer. I don't want to regret the choices I made out of fear." she says, chewing her lip, as she watches the much larger woman.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Tears are running down Nathara's eyes as she hears Tiferet words. "You are right with everything you say... and I wish I could promise you I will not succumb to the temptations that a promise of easy victory can bring, or the whisper this is the only way, when we do not really know whether it is. But I cannot. It appears... we do not really know who we are until we are truly tested." Her voice is seriously shaking and her elven accent becomes thicker.

"I do not want this. I ..." She lets go of the mantle for now looses the words, unsure what to do or say.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"But neither are brave men dissuaded from their path by the lure of easy power. The best intentions are worth little when the end starts justifying the means" Tiferet replies, silver staring into brown.

"And perhaps, there will come a time when, because of the power gained today, someone would suffer. Because it's the Witch Queen's mark we are talking about. It's all so... hypothetical. We both have fears, Inire, coming one day to regret our decisions not among the least of them." Her voice is soft and broken, as if looking for empathy rather than trying to prove a point.

"Can you promise me you're only doing this so that you can better protect the innocents? That you won't let it corrupt you... or me, by whatever means necessary?" Her question is almost a plead, as her eyes shift between Inire and Nathara.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

"I can't, no." Inire shakes her head. "Not with certainty that I would keep my word, at least. But that doesn't change my choice. If nothing else, Baba Yaga hasn't done anything here while this woman has. I.. don't know much about her, nor do I know what the future will bring... but I know that the current end is an eternal winter all across the land, with a single tyrant to rule over it all. A woman not afraid to steal directly from Baba Yaga and her riders." She chews her lip for a moment, as she moves through the logic of the story.

"If she is able to take power from Baba Yaga by force, that means that it is not simply hers to control. It means it can be controlled by someone else."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara thinks a moment before she answer. "What I would do if I could anything I wanted, I would seek a fight, not any more. I would run to the arms of my betrothed. We elves have done it before; when we saw the star fall upon the horizon, we left for Sovyrean. We could do it again an leave this world to its own devices."

She takes a deep breath. "But that is not who I am. I will fight for this world. Elvanna must be overcome. But is Elvanna truly the villain here? Well, she is, of course, but there is more to story. It was Baba Yaga who created the Irrisen and the rulership of the white witches. It was Baba Yaga who taught her daughter Elvanna to be the woman she is and placed her in power, with the promise to reap her once a century passed. Elvanna chose to rebel against that and in order to do that she reaches out for power in this world. Can Elvanna resist Baba Yaga and not reach out for Golarion? I cannot say, of course, but from a certain point of view Elvanna is only doing what she has to to resist. But if I do pick up the mantle, I willingly chose to become a creature of Baba Yaga, just like Elvanna is. Maybe it won't make a difference - we get the hutt to cooperate more easily and get a little more power. Maybe we become just like them while we are telling ourselves we do what we must to fight them."

She takes a step back. "What is the best choice to make in favour of all the people, of all the creatures and forests I am here to protect, I cannot say. But every instinct in me screams at the thought of taking up the mantle of Baba Yaga's rider, figuratively and literally."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Fair enough. Your answer brings wisdom, if not comfort... though what is the latter without the former if not a fool's hope?" Tiferet says to Inire, averting her eyes, as if looking for an answer within herself which keeps obstinately eluding her.

I don't think my ancestors could ever realize – or care – that whatever Baba Yaga did, Elvanna is attempting a hundred-fold. But I am not them. I am a being of flesh and bones. And my loyalty should first and foremost be to the living, not the dead.

"For all the horrors of Irrisen, we can't forget that Baba Yaga's is the hand which created them in the first place. She is the source" she muses in response to Nathara's words. "And yet, she's always been content with having her daughters rule Irrisen, and Irrisen alone. She's among the Greater Evils of the Multiverse, but ironically enough, from Golarion's point of view she is the lesser threat. Perhaps Inire is right. We were willing to sacrifice our lives to stop this winter. Maybe that simply wasn't enough. Maybe such a colossal undertaking requires us to sacrifice our very souls."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

"Baba Yaga is bad. Probably. But she doesn't stay around Golarion much, does she, she just shows up every now again and she takes her daughters with her. It's her daughters who do most of the bad things. And what Elvanna's doing right now--she'll make the world far, far worse. Baba Yaga ruled Irrisen for hundreds of years and she never tried something like this," says Eirirk, his fingers idly toying with the hem of the cloak.

"Sometimes--sometimes monsters need saving. Sometimes, you have to rescue the witch from the wicked princess. I had a dream once, that there was a monster who lived in my village, who everyone feared--and he was terrible, that was true, every night he would go out and hunt and he would hurt people. But then he stopped, and things got worse, because there were people in the village worse than him, so I went to look for him. I found him in a cave--he had hurt himself, fallen into a pit, and I was afraid that he would just eat me, but I helped him out of the cave because--because, sometimes monster are worth saving to. And sometimes--sometimes you have to be friends with people who are bad, because it's better to have a bad person as your friend than as your enemy, in the long run." continues Eirikr. He doesn't look at anyone in particular as he talks, his eyes wandering from person to person--for a moment, he looks at Inire, just a little longer than he looks at anyone else, but then he looks away, his eyes not fixed at anyone at all.

"And the thing is--it's Baba Yaga's power but--it'll be our power to, and we'll be using it in ways she never intended it to be used. Just by dividing it between the six of us we're breaking it in a way she wouldn't've wanted. That's a kind of power--and it's not like we're likely to run in to something like this again. If defeating Baba Yaga is important, well--this is the best opportunity anyone's ever had to do it in a thousand years." he says, finally looking back over at Tiferet. "When fate knocks at your door, you can't just hide in the basement."


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Monster. You keep using that word, Eirikr" Tiferet says tenderly, almost motherly. "But I believe you'd do your oneiric friend a disservice by putting him in the same category as the Queen of Witches. Still, you're right. When Fate knocks, we shall embrace it. And then, we shall weave it and bend it to our will. We can't see what destination the future has in store for us, but with every step we take, we can steer it just a little bit further."

"Do you think Sarenrae has enough mercy for the both of us?" she tentatively asks Nathara.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire watches Eirikr as he speaks, head tilting slightly as he talks about keeping monsters as friends. Perhaps one day she'd share her feelings on monsters. As he finishes, she nods slightly, "Or your library."

She looked slowly between the two women, after, as Tiferet asks about Sarenrae and mercy. She still didn't really understand religion. Ultimate rewards shouldn't be the reason you do good things. The same for fear of reprisal and bad things. She respected what little she knew about the gods as philosophical concepts and ideas, rather than actual beings. When she thought of them as beings that were pinned down and easily placed into a box... they sounded somehow less than man.

Had she known that she might be dipping her foot into actual divinity, that would be enough to frighten the young woman considerably more.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

"So, you are really going to do it?" Nathara listens to all the arguments, but it seems that Tiferet's word have by far the greatest weight for her, even though Eirikr's fables helps calming her down.

"I wish I knew the greater picture, I knew who else is standing in front of similar decisions as we are as they try to figure out a way to defeat the winter. I wish I knew what the angels who fought Baba Yaga have to say about it. Act based on what you know to be true, not on what you fear that might be. they say, and I believe there is wisdom in that. So, Sarenrae may have mercy for the both of us, it would certainly help of Tolc put in a word for us." There is even an indication of a smile on her lips.


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"We don't know the greater picture. Perhaps we never will. That's what makes us brave. That's what makes us human*."

With that, she takes a deep breath, closes her eyes, and grabs one corner of the mantle.

*:
or as usual, whatever word Taldane has to generically describe sapient races on Golarion.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Morgraine sighs unhappily. She glances over to Kettu apologetically for a long moment. I hope this does not also drag you in, my friend, or that I have the strength to release you if it does.

"There is a fine line between bravery and foolhardiness," she says softly, more to herself than to make any sort of point. "I hope we are acting the former and not the latter, for it may be a long, long time before we can undo this, if ever."

Despite her misgivings, though after everyone else has latched onto the cloak, she takes her place at a corner and grabs it as well. Her eyes are wide open as she takes hold, and they stare directly into those of the Rider.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

The elf offers an exaggerated eye roll at the what makes us human followed by a wink. Briefly she is wondering what Vosi is doing, but he is probably still hiding and Nathara does not wish to expose him.

Nathara puts her hand on the cloak again, that she touches Tiferet's hand with her little finger (not the claw) and Morgraine with the other.


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The mantle begins to ripple as the party's hands touch it. It lifts into the air and begins to expand, spreading out around the group until it blocks out all light. There's a momentary sensation of movement and a pulling sensation that seems to drag them upward. A pillar of light appears through the shadows and the party comes to a halt. Their forms are fuzzy and indistinct, like ghosts, and their feet make no noise as they touch down on the ground. They new stand in a bright snow covered clearing. Before them, they see four figures. First is the Black Rider in his full armored regalia, second is a woman in white with a silvery bow at her back, third is a man with fiery hair and a scimitar at his waist. All three kneel before a wizened crone who stands on a snowy rise in the middle of the clearing. "My noble heralds," she speaks in a raspy voice, heavy with age. "I bear you special instructions for your next ride. My eyes may be old, but they still see many things. And I foresee a danger to my return. Should I fail to arrive on schedule, seek my hut at the throne of winters and it will guide you to me. A guide awaits within to offer you a path to my return." She hands each Rider an identical brass key, just like the one the Black Rider passed to you before, vanishing in a cloud of mist. The Riders stand and their mounts appear from nowhere, each matching their Rider's color and stature. The red horse melts the snow around his feet as his hooves blaze with fire and the Red Rider departs to the east. The white horse seems to walk on top of the snow as the White Rider departs to the West. The Black Rider's horse moves heavily, each foot falls resounding like stone on steel as he rides north.

The darkness swirls around you again and the party finds themselves back before the winter portal as if nothing had happened. The mantle is nowhere to be seen, but every one of you can feel its power pulsing in your veins. "Thank you," the Black Rider whispers, his voice weakening. "Now... my duty is... done... and I may... join my brother and sister..." His last breath leaves his body and he sinks to the snowy ground and goes still.

Everyone gains their first mythic tier!


3 people marked this as a favorite.
R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

As the small dream-that-isn't-a-dream ends the mantle isn't entirely gone, or at least it seems that way initially. Everything comes back into focus, and Inire is now swaddled in black fibers that cling like shadow to her body.

The new apparent armor, appearing as black leather, comes with tiny silver-white raven buttons (all facing inwards) running parallel down the front until they reach her belt. The belt is the same color that the leather above had been, though it appears to not even have a buckle, instead being a solid leather band that is just the right size to pinch at her waist. From here down is simple black leather pants.

She's still wearing the furs that Evelyn had bought for her (complete with furry shoes) overtop the outfit. The shoulder that shares a side with Scribe's sheath has a black mantle that looked remarkably similar to the rider's mantle that they had absorbed, though it was no where near as bulky, and only covered one shoulder. She still held the alchemist fire with one hand tight to her stomach, her eyes slowly darting from person to person, taking in their apparent changes... if any. She certainly felt different, but she hadn't even thought to look at herself.

Detect Magic:
Inire's new armor is entirely a third level spell effect with the abjuration school and is a Force effect.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Fire, motion, lust. Nathara was not stronger than before, but faster. To what end remained to be seen. "Queen of Ice, Queen of Angels, Lord of Rape..." Now she was a piece in a larger game without any doubt. Now she had to prove that she made her choice and would stick with it. "I shall remember warmth beneath the heat within me."

Her eyes fall into the dead rider. She regards him for a while. It is strange with which devotion he served a creature of evil; she wished she had known his story. She looks around between her comrades, friends in fact, trying to read their faces. "How do you feel?" she asks, turned to no-one in particular.

To Inire she says: "We better write that down... both of us, this time. The details of the memory we experienced may become important..." and with a adds after regarding Inire more closely: "The look suits you, by the way, crescent blade dancer maiden."

She browses her equipment for writing utensils, even though the lingering presence of the portal is still somewhat unsettling. What may come through next? The Prince of Hell personally, looking for a warmer spot to rest his hooves?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

Eirikr watches silently as the vision plays out before them, like something out of a fairy tale, three noble riders going off to find their destiny at the behest of a wise old crone--except all the riders would only meet their deaths, and the crone was as wicked as she was wise. Three keys for three riders--they had one, but what had happened to the other two? With Baba Yaga imprisoned, where had the power of Bright Morning and Red Sun gone?

"One day, I will hear the rest of your story, Black Midnight," he whispers to himself as he looks down at the fallen rider.

"I don't feel any different," says Eirikr, stretching his right arm behind his back and looking around. A gift from a fairy, he thought it would be more--dramatic--but just as he's about to say something, he glances in Inire's direction."Oh. Well, that's a bit more of what you'd expect, isn't it? I like it."


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire winces slightly, "Did you just say 'Lord of Rape'?" she asks, but then is drawn to her book, which she doesn't immediately pull out for once. Then, looking down as both of them comment on her new armor, she quirks her lips back and forth, giving her arms and legs a scrutinizing gaze, before patting herself a few times. It oddly didn't feel like leather, even though it looked like it. She just wasn't sure what to make of it. "I... suppose." she responds.

While Inire had changed the most visibly of the three, it would soon be impossible to miss Nathara's newfound ability to move overland as the sun does, or Eirikr's newfound ability to pursue his prey. As she ponders the changes she'd gone through, she finally pauses in messing with her new outfit - she really liked playing with the ravens, apparently - to turn to Tiferet, Morgraine, and Evelyn to see if anything had changed for them.


Female Human Mesmerist 3, AC/FF/T 16/13/13, Initiative +3, HP 23/33 CMD: 14

Do we have the key?

As the scene plays out before their eyes and they are given new power Evelyn deals with it the best way she knows how, internally. She remains calm on the outside keeping her eyes closed until she adjusts to the new power, when she finally opens them she looks no different but her hide armor falls off seemingly on its own as the air around her tightens before returning to normal.

Detect Magic:
Same.

"We should bury him, he deserves the same respect as the others."


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

He tried handed it to the first person to come close enough for him to pass it off. Whether they took it, or it's still in his hand is up to you guys.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1
The Faceless GM wrote:
He presses the key into Morgraine's hand. "Thank you," he murmurs to the spell caster before he continues his tale. [b]"This key. This key opens the path to finding the true witch queen. For this key is the key to Baba Yaga's own dancing hut.

This key?


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

Yup :)


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

Tiferet can hear the crone laughing, a hateful, cackling sound that seems to be constantly mocking her.

As the vision dissolved, her senses had not come back to her immediately. Instead, it appears whatever power she was imbued with had stirred something within her, something deep and germinal. She saw a tall Ulfen woman, clad in fur, embracing a much taller, muscular figure, two arching tusks protruding from his back. She let the furs slip down to the ground, revealing her naked figure beneath as the two lovers passionately kissed.

They vanished just as waves of rapturous bliss overcame them, leaving a pulsating light behind, a lone flame shining in the dark. Fragile, yet powerful; somehow, Tiferet knew she was looking at the foundation of her very being.

Again, she saw that very light glowing in the chest of a mighty warrior, kneeling in the red-tinged snow. Mercy he whispered, a raucous laughter the only answer as a giant axe fell down on his neck and decapitated him. Brighter than any star the light shone, and then softly died. Why, beloved daughter? the lopped off head spoke in her mind, its eyes staring at her in mute accusation. Why did you kneel, like I did? You were supposed to be stronger... you were supposed to be be our champion...

Again, the mocking laughter. Once a kneeler, always a kneeler it seems to be whispering her. The flame is dim now, dimmer than it has ever been, engulfed by the surrounding blackness. Weak. Pathetic. Stop fighting and accept your place. Not a warrior, but a thrall.

Still, the flame obstinately burns. Such is its defiance that the darkness can't extinguish it, and yet, neither can it consume the dark mantle trying to smother it; and so, the two of them dance, and dance, and dance. A battle for her soul whose ripples fuel her ascension.

A loud GASP brings her back to the realm of the living. She must have fallen, for the first thing her eyes see are snowflakes falling down upon her, and the shapes of snow-covered trees against a milky sky. Though it felt like hours, she surmises only instants must have passed, as her friends are still standing all around her, in the same positions they were when they touched the Rider's mantle. Only, there was neither Rider, nor mantle any more. Just her and five people who resemble Eirikr, Eve, Inire, Morgraine, and Nath... while at the same time looking more than them.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara is caught in surprised by Inire's reaction about the mentioning of said demon lord... the words had simply slipped out of her mouth, Nathara had not realized that anyone heard them.

"I am sorry, I did not mean to unsettle you." She runs her claw tips along the small curved horns at her forehead. "Sometimes it is important to remember where we are coming from in order to estimate the dangers ahead."

She considers for a moment whether she should say anything further, but it's really better to not speak Socothbenoth's name.

She dips her pen into the ink vial just as she notices Tiferet's strong reaction. The ink then leaves a black spot between all the red in the snow, because Nathara drops it as she rushes to Tiferet's side.

"Tiferet!" she grabs the other woman's arm and tries to help her up. Nathara will not ask an outstandingly stupid question as to what is wrong with her, thus she merely tries to meet her eyes and share the pain.


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

Inire catches her lip between her teeth as her eyes move to Tiferet... who seems to have reacted badly to the power she had gained. That was... strange. And spoke ill of what would happen in the future. She compartmentalized what Nathara had said, as the woman turns to help her friend. Inire just stands there, head slightly tilted, with an expression of concern... one finger twisting a raven button back and forth while her other hand continues to nurse the explosive.

"We... should. And then we should rest before we press forward. We... won't be able to do so nearly as safely once we've passed through." she adds to Evelyn's suggestion.


HPs: 35; AC: 13 |Touch 11, FF 12; CMD: 12; Init: +1

Morgraine seemed to be the last to come to, and opens her eyes once again, though she hadn't consciously closed them. She glances to her hand, still held outright, the key lying in her palm. She glances to the rider sprawled in the snow. Then back to the key, then became suddenly aware of the others standing nearby, of Nathara helping Tiferet back to her feet. She blinks, still shrugging off the vision, her hearing coming back to her all in a rush.

Other than the mental fog that was seeping away, she couldn't say she felt at all different. Should she? Inire certainly looked different, had her armor changed?

Morgraine shakes her head, looks down at the key once more. Her fingers closed around it. "Yes, we need rest. But then we should press forward. There were two other keys, and it would be safest to assume they are in the hands of our enemies now, though if the Rider was correct, they should be useless to them. Though speaking of 'shoulds', none of this should have been possible for them."


R20 Half-elven Rogue/Bard 3 (VMC)//Trickster 1 HP (31/31) IP (1/1) MP (5/5)
Stats:
AC/Touch/Flat/CMD 21/15/16/16 | Fort/Ref/Will +04/09e/02 | Init +05
Skills:
+14: DD; +11: Stealth, Acrobatics; +8: Perception, K(Dun, Loc), L(Heroes); +7: P(Oratory), Linguistics, A(Stories); 5: K(History, Geo)

"If all she needed was a key and a mantle, she has two of each." Inire says, shaking her head, "Unless she couldn't take the mantles for some reason... or they hid the keys before they were captured."


Male Skinwalker (Witchwolf) Lunar Oracle 3/Guardian 1 HP: 37 AC: 15 CMD: 15 Initiative: +1

"We can make camp in the cave. Or in the igloos, but they're kind of small. And there's only four of them," says Eirikr. "I can find us food for the night. But we should be careful, with the portal so close. Don't know what could still come out of it."

After the body is buried, Eirikr goes back into the woods with Ashen to hunt assuming that we're making camp here. Once he is out of sight of the others, Eirikr shifts into his feral form before beginning to search for food.

Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21


Female Aasimar (Angel-Blooded) Skald 3 / Marshal 1 | HP 34/34 {conditions: none} | MP 4/5 | AC 17 (Tch 11 FF 16) | F +5, R +3, W +5 | Init +3 | Perc +6, darkvision

"Thank you." Tiferet tightly grips Nathara's forearm, her muscles limp as the dusky blademistress easily lifts up her weight. She confusedly looks at the faces surrounding her as she still clings to the elven maiden for balance. It appears I was the only one for whom things did not went so smooth.

"You didn't feel it? Like a... pull?" she whispers as their eyes lock. "Two powers fighting for the same throne. I thought that... since, you know... the Lord of Rape... the Lady in Shadow..." She immediately falls silent, afraid of having said too much. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply..." she says after a while, averting her eyes. Having now fully regained her senses, she lifts the hand she had over Nathara's shoulder and takes a few steps away from her, eager to switch topics.

"This place is a funnel between the two Realms. Every envoy, every scout sent to check on those two's operations" she says pointing at the troll and the atomie – what remains of them, at least "or in the Rider's pursuit will be forced to pass through here. With a giant beast stalking those woods, and if the Portal really stands isolated among the Irriseni wilderness as Illarion said, we might even be safer on the other side. Less conspicuous. Less expected. Provided we put some miles between us and it, of course. But if we're making camp here, placing some of those traps we found near the aperture might provide extra safety."

After that, Tiferet helps digging a grave in the cold, hard ground for the fallen Rider. Whatever opinion she might hold of Baba Yaga and her servants, he was a warrior, and died as such. He deserved that honour. And even then, I'm in no position to judge any longer, right? she bitterly reflects as she shovels another clump of frozen dirt away.


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara was concerned about Tiferet's reaction but still tried to look more steady than she felt. Remember, no feel the light of Sarenrae in all this coldness.

Nathara takes shelter in one of the igloo entrances in order to write down her memories of the vision and what Black Midnight told them while those memories are still fresh. She has a bit of a bad conscience for not helping her friends dig the grave, but this appears more important to her.

As she sits down she looks around for Vosi. "Vosi? You can come out now, they're all dead."


Universal Buffs: Nothing right now

The little sprite flies out of the cave where he seemed to have disappeared to. "That was Baba Yaga's Rider," Vosi murmurs, awe obvious in his voice. "Queen has betrayed her mother..." He falls silent for a moment. "Fey's pact is with the Witch Queen. Elvanna's defiance could change everything."


[img] [sheet] Female Elven Tiefling Spelldancer 3 / Mythic Champion 1 HP: 32 AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14 CMD: 18 INI: +3

Nathara looks up and looks a bit confused, for the word 'queen' is a bit ambiguous in the given context. "You mean, the original pact was with Baba Yaga, but Elvanna is in the possession of your crystals?"

1,751 to 1,800 of 2,189 << first < prev | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Faceless GM's Irrisen: The Realm of Winter Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.