Slumbering Tsar: The Desolation (Inactive)

Game Master Lord Manticore

Looking for a way into Hell.


101 to 150 of 313 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

Um, I think you read the note wrong. It says "They have spotted you, but do not seem to think you have spotted them." We are spotted. No point in hiding. In fact, that would give away the fact that we have seen them but they do not realize it.

The wizard continues on, trying to not look at the creatures so they will not know they are spotted, while trying to recall what they might be.

Religion: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Calendir Elberen wrote:

Getting more and more used to the whole telepathic communication process, Calendir immediately contacts his companions through Imbukar.

** spoiler omitted **

The ranger immediately starts looking for hiding places, and moving to get the group out of sight.

[dice=Stealth]1d20+19

Stealth is duly noted, given the terrain, however, there are not a lot of hiding places around, other than behind the bodies. Keep that in mind. The horses are likely to be spotted before you in this case.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Azaraunt wrote:

Um, I think you read the note wrong. It says "They have spotted you, but do not seem to think you have spotted them." We are spotted. No point in hiding. In fact, that would give away the fact that we have seen them but they do not realize it.

The wizard continues on, trying to not look at the creatures so they will not know they are spotted, while trying to recall what they might be.

[dice=Religion]1d20+17

Knowledge: Religion:
These rare creatures are known as 'screamers.' There is not much known about them, except that they are incorporeal, and they tend to attack by 'possessing' a body to force that body to either attack itself, or another nearby creature.
Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

You are right Azaraunt, I misunderstood :/

Telepathy through Imbukar:

"Guys... You wanna parley with these... Let me know fast, because range is my friend..."


M Imp Familiar 6 hd

Telepathy to all.:

My master has identified these creatures as Screamers. A type of insidious undead creature. They are incorporeal and will possess you if they can. Once possessed they will make you attack your friends or even yourself. We should end them if we are able. Force effects, positive energy, and Ghost Touched weapons are our best bet.

350 yards is 1050 feet or 210 squares. That is beyond long range for the wizard. Long is 720 for him.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

Telepathy:

I will use appropriate ammunition, but I cannot target them from this distance

I would be taking at least -10 to hit them from this distance, so will wait until they are at around 200 feet and will shoot them then.

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

Thought you said range was your friend? :P If they fly, and I bet the do. they could charge at least 120 feet. And if their possession ability is medium ranged they can possess around or just inside 200 feet. Time to buff I guess. Would be bad if they possess your cat...

Those are likely the creatures that killed the dwarf and the elf. Azaraunte explains in a low voice. Non-magical attacks will not hurt these things, so if you can, enchant your cat's weapons.

The wizard removes a bundle of arrows from his haversack, casts Flame Arrow on them, and offers them to Calendir. He then moves to where Calendir's cat is and casts an extended Protection from Evil on the creature. 16 minute duration. His next round he will a pearl of power to recall Protection from evil. IF the Screamers are closing on them yet, he will move away from them as he does this.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

You are right, I will start firing as soon as everyone in our group has replied - Before you cast flame arrow lets pause a second - I have got Ghost Touch Ammo (blanch) - maybe it is less efficient to flame regular arrows than using the blanched ones?

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

Use the Ghost Touch for sure, but save for when they are a little closer I'd say. Since I want to kill these wandering murderers if we can shooting at them should encourage them to come at us. You might want to hold off until they start rapidly moving our way, only to give us max time to buff. Hmm. I bet The DM would be fine with me including your blanched arrows in my spell since I get 50 pieces of ammo.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

They are slowly moving closer, 320 yds and closing....

It appears that they have spotted the horses.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Azaraunt wrote:
Use the Ghost Touch for sure, but save for when they are a little closer I'd say. Since I want to kill these wandering murderers if we can shooting at them should encourage them to come at us. You might want to hold off until they start rapidly moving our way, only to give us max time to buff. Hmm. I bet The DM would be fine with me including your blanched arrows in my spell since I get 50 pieces of ammo.

I'd play the bet, Azaruant, if I were you...

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

So... Calendir is going to start firing away. Can we assume the blanched arrows are flaming?

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

Unfurling his battle flag, Numair snaps it into place on his shoulder. He then readies his wand of Shield, trusting it to help him fight these creatures. As they close he invokes the power inherent in the wand and sheaths it in its holster.

UMD: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (17) + 18 = 35

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

Ok so... 320 yards away means -4 to hit with the Composite Long Bow: -4 from distance -2 for Rapid shot -3 for Deadly Aim +4 for Favored enemy. Firing Ghost Touch blanch, flaming arrows.

Attack 1 w/ Manyshot: 1d20 + 16 - 2 - 3 - 4 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 16 - 2 - 3 - 4 + 4 = 19
If it hits:
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + (1) + 10 + 4 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + (2) + 10 + 4 = 22

Attack 2 Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 16 - 2 - 3 - 4 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 16 - 2 - 3 - 4 + 4 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + (6) + 10 + 4 = 28

Attack 3 Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 3 - 4 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 11 - 2 - 3 - 4 + 4 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 1d6 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + (3) + 10 + 4 = 25

I am hoping for flat footed and... it is SWEEEEET to see that favored enemy bonus in action ;)

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

Also +1 to attack & damage from Battle Flag.

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

We had better get into initiative. That round might have been considered a surprise round. Regardless I think the Prot. Evil goes off on the cat about the same time as Cal shoots. Would be bad all around if we had to put down the cat.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

For the time being, Lagash is right next to me - He still has a loooong way to go until I send him against incorporeal undead.

You are right Numair - I had forgot about your flag bearing ;)

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

Actually I have been pondering how I can go about making Lagash more formidable - It will cost me a feat in the long run because of boon companion, but I would like him to be more versatile in the group, more resistant and more capable in combat. Like Guenhwyvar ;)


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Calendir Elberen wrote:
So... Calendir is going to start firing away. Can we assume the blanched arrows are flaming?

Yes you may.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

That was fast....

Calendir begins firing, his first round taking out one of the creatures, his scream you can hear distinctly from here. Moving his bow to strike the other, as it begins to gather speed, both arrows launch and strike, taking out the last screamer. There is no more left on the battlefield.

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

Well done! Your bow is mighty. Remind me not to anger you Calendir. Azaraunt still retrieves a Pearl of Power and recalls Protection from evil as he rides towards the two now destroyed undead. Let us examine the area to see that they are truly vanquished and if they left any remains.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

As you approach where the creatures were slain, there is nothing to show a battle was fought. Even the arrows are gone. If you hadn't seen it with your own eyes, you might have thought you were imagining the whole battle.

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

The wizard casts Detect Magic and looks around.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27

Interesting. Two less threats in this desolation. he pronounces.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Azaraunt wrote:

The wizard casts Detect Magic and looks around.

[dice=Perception]1d20+14

Interesting. Two less threats in this desolation. he pronounces.

Nada.

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

"We are fortunate to have defeated our enemies with such alacrity. Calendir has a mighty bow indeed. Let us hope it gets us out of as many bad situations as it gets us into."

Numair grins, unable to resist a bit of friendly heckling now that the danger has past.

"Truly though, we are fortunate to have your aid, Cal. If there is nothing more to be done here, let us give those fallen men a brief burial and move on. Uneasy dead have a way of coming back and I'd like to put them at ease."

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

Calendir laughs out loud as Numair speaks - "Well boy, not even I was expecting that! And as far as balancing the good and bad situations, I am working on it. I've got some catching up to do after I shot at the big black bird back there I guess" - he grins.

He surveys the scene with his senses fully alert, and nods at the suggestion - "Yes, lets get those under some pounds of dirt..."

Calendir Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15
Lagash Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

I give up :D


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

Just don't let anyone know that Lagash does all the heavy lifting and you'll be fine. :P

There's half a foot of bone ash, sand, and grit comprising the top layer. It is not bad to dig up, but after that is tough, compacted tundra. It takes a couple of hours, but you uncover enough soil to make a shallow grave for each of them.

Who wants to say last rights?


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

Anyone?

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

"Sarenrae, these men died out here in the unforgiving waste. I do not know what sort of men they were, or whom they believed in. I only ask you guide this prayer where it must go, that their souls may rest in peace."

Numair stands in silence for a moment after his brief prayer, then looks around.

"And shelter us from this place as well, Everlight. Let's go."


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

Okay, that is out of the way, where do we go next?

You are on the square below A1 at this point, and it is just after noon.

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

We should continue NW towards the canyons the caravan was going to try to use as a shortcut.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

Just waiting on acknolwedgements from Az and Cal before I move on. I'll wait a couple of hours. My schedule looks a bit better this week (finally), so I should be able to post a bit more.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

Acknowledged - NW it is, unless Calendirs' tracking gives him any reason that any other direction would be better.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

OK, if I could please have a Survival check, we can get moving...

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

I concur to move towards the caravan. Do not forget we have an invisible flying scout with us.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

Survival: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

I'm going to assuming that you three broke for lunch...call it an hour, as I whip up the next post. Let me know if you do NOT take a break, and I'll incorporate that into the next posts after this one.

After your party eats and rest the horses for a bit, you find yourselves back on the main road as the sun starts to drop from its peak. Call it 2 hours from final benediction to now...including lunch, if not...

Random 2: 1d100 ⇒ 67

Movement picks back up...Quick question, once back on the raod, how fast are you going to move the horses? It's 3 squares from the bodies back to the road (heading NW), and 24 squares (or just over 9 miles) to the Crossroads. It's ~1:30pm (that's the time that you reach the road), with sundown in about 3 hours. No random encounter at this point. Let me get an answer before I move forward. What happens once you setup camp will depend at least partially on where you camp for the night.

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

Azaraunt depends on his ranger for such calls. He follows without comment in these matters. :) Once a spot is decided on to camp he will have some actions to set up camp.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

If I remember correctly, we have the risk of running into the "gost caravan" if camping too close to the path? I suggest we follow the caravan's shortcut, but camp somewhat away from the road itself.

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

That was my thinking, also. Make as much progress as we can today, but not risk pushing it in dangerous territory. Better to stop a little early with a better campsite.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

OK fair enough. Do you plan to stop short of the Crossroads or go past it? Which side of the road will you camp at, and how far away from the road will you be?

The Exchange

Human Bard 1/Paladin 4;
Status:
HP 62/62; AC 17/13/14; CMD 22; Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +10; Init +3; Perc -1

I think stopping short, perhaps a hundred yards away. That way we can observer the crossroads, but aren't camping right on the road itself.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10

Random: 1d100 ⇒ 32

Count: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

There appear to be a pack of wolves about where you wanted to setup camp.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

It is safe to say that they do see you...

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

The wizard offers that be can create a Shadowy Haven, ashelter in an extra dimensional space that can hold both themselves and their mounts. (10 creatures of any size). If cast correctly the group should be able to see out the entire night. (this could depend on the moon or the use of a continual light outside the space.)

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

"This place is a mish mash of nastiness if I ever saw one..." Calendir growls as he strains his eyes to try and gauge how many wolves there are, and how the pack is behaving.

Calendir Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25
Lagash Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

Dark Archive

M Elven Wizard 6/Diabolist 2 | HP 46/46 | AC 20/24 FF 15/22 T16 | Saves +6/+11/+7 | Init + 11 | Per. +14

Distance to wolves?


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Azaraunt wrote:
Distance to wolves?

About 100 yards, and beginning to close, the wolves displaying a threatening posture.


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Calendir Elberen wrote:

"This place is a mish mash of nastiness if I ever saw one..." Calendir growls as he strains his eyes to try and gauge how many wolves there are, and how the pack is behaving.

[dice=Calendir Perception]1d20+14
[dice=Lagash Perception]1d20+5

[dice=Knowledge (Nature)]1d20+12

9 wolves total.

Knowledge:
These are called ghoul wolves, and yes, they are undead wolves. They are smart (still animal), but predatory. Their bite attack can cause paralysis, and that is what they usually try first, using claws to get a footing on the body, and for times when paralysis doesn't work.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ftr1/Ranger lvl7 | HP 68 | AC 22 FF 16 T17 | Saves +11/+13/+6 | Init + 7 (+9 in Favored Terrain) | Per. +12

As he unleashes a volley, Calendir communicates telepathically with his companions.

Telepathy via Imbukar:

These are called ghoul wolves, and yes boys... They are undead wolves, all nine of them. They are smart and predatory. The bite can cause paralysis, and that is what they usually try first, using claws to get a footing on you, and for times when paralysis doesn't work. Get them before they close in!

Assuming I have found no particular additional resistencies or weaknesses to communicate to the others, so Calendir fires away. If there are additional details known to him he would react accordingly :D

Attack 1 with Manyshot: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 11 + 4 = 26
If it hits
Damage: 1d8 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 4 = 19

Attack 2 w/ Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 4 = 30
Damage: 1d8 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 10 + 4 = 18

Attack 3 w/ Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 4 = 33
Damage: 1d8 + 10 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 10 + 4 = 21


Male Drow Noble Accountant 12/Monk 10
Calendir Elberen wrote:

As he unleashes a volley, Calendir communicates telepathically with his companions.

** spoiler omitted **

Assuming I have found no particular additional resistencies or weaknesses to communicate to the others, so Calendir fires away. If there are additional details known to him he would react accordingly :D

[dice=Attack 1 with Manyshot]1d20+11+4
If it hits
[dice=Damage]1d8+10+4
[dice=Damage]1d8+10+4

[dice=Attack 2 w/ Rapid Shot]1d20+11+4
[dice=Damage]1d8+10+4

[dice=Attack 3 w/ Rapid Shot]1d20+11+4
[dice=Damage]1d8+10+4

You hit and killed 3 on your first volley. Six more, as they begin running towards you. We can roll initiative if any wolves survive to attack range. I will need attacks from Az and Numair before we advance.

101 to 150 of 313 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Slumbering Tsar: The Desolation All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.