Sic Semper Tyrannis! (Thrune's Hell's Rebels Revived)

Game Master GM Aarvid

Rebellion
Maps

Loot Sheet

GM Screen:

Perception:
'[dice=Perception (Arcos)]1d20+1[/dice]
'[dice=Perception (Lubella)]1d20+5[/dice]
'[dice=Perception (Talvek)]1d20[/dice]
'[dice=Perception (Fhingle)]1d20+3[/dice]
'[dice=Perception (Sidius)]1d20+3[/dice]

Initiative:
'[dice=Initiative (Arcos)]1d20+4[/dice]
'[dice=Initiative (Lubella)]1d20+4[/dice]
'[dice=Initiative (Talvek)]1d20+1[/dice]
'[dice=Initiative (Fhingle)]1d20+2[/dice]
'[dice=Initiative (Sidius)]1d20+6[/dice]


2,351 to 2,400 of 2,865 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

"What if I go in alone first? I am newer and they may not recognize my voice, I could go in with someone else already inside sitting at the bar?" Fhingle offers. "What are these commands and such your talking about?"


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella rose early, in time for her dawn prayers. After her religious rites were completed, she joined the others for breakfast.

She told Talvek, "Sounds good; we'll meet you at the Owl Bakery."

In response to Whingle's question, she said, "We have three teams who need their weekly assignments: the peddlers, who earn money to support our activities, the sneaks, who plant caches of equipment at appropriate locations for us to use on missions, and freedom fighters, who control petty crime and keep the dottari off our backs.

"I can go into the Tooth and Nail first. I'm pretty good at reading social situations, so I should be able to smell an ambush. We'll want to be in disguise, in case it's a ruse to get us to show our identities. We can get ready at the Owl Bakery; the owner, Julessa Emberlain, is one of us."

After a leisurely morning meal, Lubella headed over the bridge, taking her usual precautions, and made her way to the Owl Bakery. She figured there should be time for one of Julessa's excellent pastries.


Forged Map | Rebels Map

Crossing the bridge is even more chaotic than usual as the townsfolk quarrel with the increased dottari patrols over the increased toll.

One old merchant shouts ”This ain’t right and I ain’t paying! “

”You watch your tongue old man. We will haul you off for an Excrutiation and then 5 coppers will sound like a deal! NEXT!“

Those that pay the new toll without question are quickly ushered through, which works in your favor.

Talvek is able to scope out the Tooth and Nail without issue and finds it open but slow in business, which is not unusual for a tavern at mid morning. The owl bakery is doing much better and a few regulars stream out with their baked treasures carefully transported or devoured on the spot.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella enjoyed one of Julessa's elderberry scones while she waited for Talvek. Once he arrived, she listened to his account, and then headed for a back room to put on her disguise. She undid her braids and brushed her hair, and then applied something to lighten her skin tone slightly. Finally, she tied a colorful kerchief around her head.

Disguise, taking 10: 10 + 7 = 17

Once she had her disguise in place, she helped anyone else who needed assistance to don their own disguises.

She conferred with her team-mates, "Everyone ready? I'll go in first, order a drink, and get a table. I'll make sure there's no no suspicious characters hanging around, and then give you the signal. Fhingle will come in and talk to Setrona, and hear what she has to say. Talvek and Sidius, you watch the exterior, but be close enough to intervene if something goes wrong."

She muttered an arcane incantation, allowing her to whisper messages to her allies. That done, she headed out onto the streets, and towards the Tooth and Nail.

Casting Message on Fhingle, Sidius and Talvek.
Before she goes into the tavern, she will cast Heroism on herself.


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

I didn't do the talking last game so I can here as I am not sure what she really has to say

Fhingle nods that he is ready, putting on his longer coat over his armor and weapon to make it appear less obvious. Once inside Fhingle will go up to the bar, Ordering some wine and asking if Setrona is around.

"I have was requested to meet with Setrona, do you know if she is about today?" Fhingle asks the bartender.


Vitals:
(HP: 30/30; AC: 13[17]/12/11[15]; Perception: +8[+10] (Low-light); Init: +6; Fort: +3; Ref: +3 Will: +4; CMD: 14; CMB: +2; Speed: 30')
Male Human (Chelish) Witch 4 - Codename: Brakisi
Skills:
(Acro +2; Bluf +7; Diplo +5; Heal +7; Kn(Arcana) +10; Kn(Hist/Nature/Planes) +9; Lore(Silver Ravens) +10; Prof(Herbal) +10; SenseMot +1[+3]; Splcrft +12; Stealth +10; UMD +8)

Sidius duplicates the message spell, just to allow relaying any whispers if his companions drift apart... and casts false face before he takes up a position where he can casually look down the block.

And Mage Armour, just in case..


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella walked into the Tooth and Nail and decided it was time for elevensies. She ordered a small ale and a snack, and found a table where she could keep an eye on the room. She discretely glanced around, evaluating the other people present.

Perception, heroism: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 = 19
Sense Motive, heroism: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 2 = 17

If she doesn't notice anything suspicious, she'll whisper the all-clear to Fhingle.


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

Just before taking his appointed position outside the tavern, Talvek ducks into an alley, downing an extract from one of his vials, and re-emerging as a human male beggar. He crouches by the entrance to the Tooth and nail, half-heartedly extending his hand to passers-by, muttering to himself every now and then.

Using the Alter Self extract, duration 40 minutes.

Bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Forged Map | Rebels Map

The Tooth and Nail is known as a rundown tavern, a fixture of Old Kintargo and a popular hangout for the district’s artisans, merchants, and adventurers.

From the street, the single-story tavern is marked by nothing but a wooden post outside, four bent and rusty nails and six wolves’ teeth hammered into its weathered face. The tavern shares the building with a confectioner’s shop, identified by the words “Sweet Tooth” painted at its entrance on Tuce Alley.

Lubella enters the Tooth and Nail with her disguise.

Greetings! I am Insome Filas. Welcome to the Tooth and Nail. What can I get you?, calls a lumpish man with close-cropped blond hair from behind the bar.

Inside, the Tooth and Nail carries the stink of stale beer, tobacco smoke, and less discernible odors hovering in the air like clouds of gnats. Narrow windows, stained yellow, allow in little natural light, and a few sputtering candles do little to disperse the gloom. The furniture is dilapidated, and was of poor quality even on the long-ago day it was fashioned.

As Fhingle enters, he sees Lubella and the bartender but no other customers, as it appears to be slow. From the back room steps a human woman of small stature with short cropped hair and freckles.

She directs her comments to Fhingle upon hearing him request her, but glances to Lubella's table before continuing.

Greetings. I am Setrona Sabinus in person.
Are you here as part of a larger group? Are you here on official business or...some other grand scheming against the world?
she chuckles bombastically.

She looks to the man behind the counter. Insome, can you take a break?

The barkeep nods and once he leaves the building via the back door, she moves to lock the front door.

Will pause here to allow messaging to those outside...

Thank you for paying my establishment a visit...I think.
I was expecting a few more, but if you are who I hope you are, I am sure you are being cautious.
Can I offer drinks? On the house.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella whispered to Talvek and Sidius, "I think we're good — no sign of an ambush. Come in if you want to be part of the discussion."

She greeted Setrona, raising her glass, "Already got mine; Kyda at your service!" She bowed in halfling fashion, carefully holding her glass level so as not to spill her drink.


Forged Map | Rebels Map

We will assume Talvek and Sidius join...see the Rebellion link at the top of this page for updated picture of Setrona etc.

Once the other two enter, Setrona locks the door and motions for all to join at the central table.

Ah, welcome. Please sit here at the large table.
I was hoping you would all be able to join in response to my note. I did not know exactly how many 'all' would be, but hoped it was more than just two.
She smiles with a bit more worry in her voice and expression.

“I am sure you are busy, so I will get to the point.
My cousin Octavio is an obstinate and difficult man, but he’s also an honorable one. He’s led the Order of the Torrent for a decade, and during that time they’ve rescued dozens of missing people and other unfortunates from abduction. The order’s members aren’t all stationed here in Kintargo— they work throughout Avistan, after all, and I suppose it’s something of a blessing that most of their two dozen or so members were elsewhere when Barzillai made the order illegal. Those who are outside Cheliax are certainly lying low, awaiting word from their lictor, but if we can find my cousin, I’m certain he can be convinced to aid the Silver Ravens. He might grouse a bit at your methods, but I know for a fact that he’s no supporter of Thrune, and having his network of agents at your disposal can only help, right?

She pauses for a breath and looks around, again worry clearly evident.

“In any event, assuming he’s not in the clutches of House Thrune, I think I know where my cousin is. He’d probably hate me if he found out I told you this, but the Order of the Torrent sometimes uses a small shrine just south of the city in the Argo swamps as a safe house. The place is warded against magical observation, and they’ve used it in the past as a staging place for smuggling those they’ve rescued into or out of Kintargo. The place is the Shrine of Saint Senex, and if my cousin is anywhere, he’s there.”


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

Talvek, err... Jackdaw gives Kyda a meaningful look as Setrona mentions the Order of the Torrent. They had been meaning to contact them, and now such an opportunity had fallen into their lap. Good fortune, or something more?

But seeing as they didn't have many other options, it was perhaps best to play along for now.

K. religion, Saint Senex?: 1d20 + 8 + 1d6 ⇒ (18) + 8 + (1) = 27


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella added, "You'll have to excuse our caution. We received a note in your name, but we had no way of telling if it really came from you."

She listened attentively to Setrona's plea; this seemed to be an opportunity that demanded immediate action. When the other woman finished, she responded, "I hope your cousin got wind of the latest edict before Barzillai Thrune's agents were able to capture him, for that would have been the logical intent. We will have to move quickly to find him before Barzillai does.

"Can you give us directions to the shrine? We will also need a physical description of Octavio. Is there something that we can say to reassure him, that we are contacting him at your request?"


Forged Map | Rebels Map

Talvek @ Saint Senex:

The Shrine of Saint Senex’s history says it was founded by a group of seafaring mystics a few hundred years ago. The shrine is devoted to the memory of sailors who lost their lives at sea.
Senex herself was an oracle of the waves who devoted much of her later life to the recovery of the bodies of drowned sailors, to return them and their belongings to their families rather than leaving them at the bottom of Nisroch Bay or to the deeper stretches of the Yolubilis. Since the Chelish Civil War, Saint Senex has drifted into obscurity.

Setrona nods at Lubella's questions.

Thank you for your concern and I only hoped you would answer my letter.
I will give you directions to the shrine as it is not far from the city. However, Saint Senex's shrine has been tended by an ever-dwindling staff of seers and guardians. These are unlikely to be welcoming of intruders, especially if my cousin has made clear his desire to remain unfound.
You must deal with them diplomatically. Then I can help reassure my cousin. That is...if you are willing to take me.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella replied to Setrona, "Of course we're willing to take you. When can you leave? We can go now if you're ready." She saw no reason to delay, and every reason to hurry.


Female Human Zamara

Setrona smiles at the acceptance, but then forms a look of concern.

Oh, it would not do to attract too much attention to the Shrine of Saint Senex. May I suggest we be a bit more tactful in our approach, preferably traveling to the shrine after dark.

She pauses to emphasize the gravity of the plan.

If we seek out the shrine in broad daylight, we might be noticed by Thrune agents...but if we're caught out after curfew, we certainly will be. So this will take a bit of planning. If we want to avoid ourselves being the next volunteers for excruciation that is.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella mentally reviewed what she knew about Argo Isle.

Knowledge Geography (untrained, max dc 10), heroism: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 2 = 5

If knowledge local applies, Lubella can take 10 for 17.

The map in the Player's Guide doesn't show the extent of Argo Isle, so it's hard to judge if there might be somewhere we could hide out for a few hours outside the walls.


Vitals:
(HP: 30/30; AC: 13[17]/12/11[15]; Perception: +8[+10] (Low-light); Init: +6; Fort: +3; Ref: +3 Will: +4; CMD: 14; CMB: +2; Speed: 30')
Male Human (Chelish) Witch 4 - Codename: Brakisi
Skills:
(Acro +2; Bluf +7; Diplo +5; Heal +7; Kn(Arcana) +10; Kn(Hist/Nature/Planes) +9; Lore(Silver Ravens) +10; Prof(Herbal) +10; SenseMot +1[+3]; Splcrft +12; Stealth +10; UMD +8)

Sidius nods, "Perhaps the better approach is to split the difference, then? We could leave the gates near the end of the day, but wait until nightfall before proceeding to the shrine."


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

"That is an interesting proposal, having a group of Hell Knights on our side would benefit us greatly for sure. So this shrine you wish to come? After dark may be difficult but we could leave the gates like Sidius says, all going different ways. Kyda and I can accompany someone looking like servants making it easy for us to get out of the city without issue. Only thing would be some of our gear." Fhingle says


Female Human Zamara

Lubella, and probably the others of you, recall a bit of the island she remembers from the locals, Talvek etc.

Argo Isle is a large island in the Yolubilis River. The southern half of the Chelish city of Kintargo covers much of the island's northern coast. The Ravounel Road leads from Kintargo to the western end of the island, which is mostly a swampy bog.

An excellent plan. It is settled then! Let us hope we can avoid any bloodshed and find my dear cousin. His order would certainly be a boon to your cause. Setrona almost cheers.

You figure it is approaching noon by the time you finish any plans and Setrona calls into the back room.

Insome, can you set out some drinks for our friends before they leave? I will check next door at the Sweet Tooth for a few of her renowned candied blackberry tarts. They really are to die for!

The barkeep takes any drink orders and then prepares the musty tavern for the lunch and afternoon customers.

Setrona returns with a basket of tarts and sets them on the table for your group.

So I will close shop after dinner and meet you at dusk at the south Ravounel gate?


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella was not about to turn down free drinks and tarts. "These are delicious!", she exclaimed, her lips staining blue.

"Right, see you then!", she replied to Setrona. She asked her comrades, "How is everyone for camping gear? I've got my blanket and bedroll. A tent is too heavy for me to carry easily; hopefully it won't rain."

She made sure no-one nearby could overhear her, before continuing, "We might need to hire a boat tomorrow, to bring our new friend into the city. The guards at the gate might be looking out for him."

We can either go back to the Wasp's Nest, and let Laria know of our plans, or send a raven with a message. The latter would save two trips across the bridge.


Vitals:
(HP: 30/30; AC: 13[17]/12/11[15]; Perception: +8[+10] (Low-light); Init: +6; Fort: +3; Ref: +3 Will: +4; CMD: 14; CMB: +2; Speed: 30')
Male Human (Chelish) Witch 4 - Codename: Brakisi
Skills:
(Acro +2; Bluf +7; Diplo +5; Heal +7; Kn(Arcana) +10; Kn(Hist/Nature/Planes) +9; Lore(Silver Ravens) +10; Prof(Herbal) +10; SenseMot +1[+3]; Splcrft +12; Stealth +10; UMD +8)

Sidius closes his eyes to savour the tart, This is... good.., he thinks, but his enjoyment is, instead, voiced by a small chirp-purr by the tiny creature in his backpack. He laughs, "I think Caduceus has made my enjoyment clear." He nods, "See you at dusk," and follows his companions out.

Sidius walks with the others, and responds to Lubella's quesiton, "I have a few day's food, water and a bedroll. No tent - like you, I'd find it heavy, though I could learn a spell to help with that, I have some small amount of spare coin.... Wouldn't be useful today, but could help tomorrow. Still, when looking at today's plan, I tend to think we need to worry less about camping -- I'd assume we'd be moving through the night. In fact, it might be a good idea to get some rest during the day to allow for that. Also, when it comes to that, I should let you know that I have excellent night vision... something I've always assumed was the result of my bloodline."


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

Talvek shakes his head at the suggestion of tents. "Too bulky, too heavy. You don't need more than a blanket and a bedroll, and as Sidius suggests, better to avoid sleeping outside the city altogether. Mosquitoes."

He picks at the tart crumbs regretfully, savouring the aftertaste. "Well. if that's all sorted out, then we should rest for a bit. I think I'll go home, I've been away from my family for too long. And perhaps we can pack some more of these tarts to take with us tonight?" He gives Setrona puppy eyes, if you could imagine a horned, red-skinned puppy, and a wink.


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

Fhingles eyes go wide at the mention of tarts "I never got things like this before." Fhingle digs into his tart with ernest, enjoying every bit of it before sitting back

"So the Shrine in the swamp at dusk? Got ya." Fhingle says taking a long drink of his wine.


Forged Map | Rebels Map

As you depart the Tooth and Nail in the southwest of Old Kintargo, you hear a commotion coming from the center of town.

You hear some pounding of hammers, obviously constructing something.

A dottari sergeant can be heard barking announcements from a couple blocks away.

Hear ye! Hear ye! Citizens of fair Kintargo. Let it be known, on this day and each day hereafter, at sunset and sunrise, the Most Honorable Lord Mayor Thrune has announced the first official excruciation to take place at the southern end of Veritas Plaza!

The dottari have erected a large scaffold for the event. The scaffold consists of a 30-foot-square wooden platform, at the center of which has been placed a small wooden doghouse-shaped structure, the walls and roof of which have been festooned with nails.

Talvek can easily avoid the entire scene by staying to the southern roads and alleys back to the Nursery and his family. The others will have to decide how to proceed, either to the bridge and the Longroads, or elsewhere until sunset.

See the 'maps' slide #2 for the area of the city. You are a few blocks easy of the Tooth and Nail and heading where you will until dusk.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella cursed under her breath when she heard the announcement of the excruciations. The scheduling, coinciding with prayer times for the faithful of the Dawnflower, was an additional insult. "That platform needs to be destroyed!", she whispered to the others. Her first instinct was to take action immediately, but after a moment's reflection, she thought better of it. We need to have a plan. Going off half-cocked only invites disaster.

She spent some time scouting out the area, looking for nearby hiding spots, observing the security around the site, and trying to judge if a daytime operation was at all feasible.

Bluff, taking 10: 10 + 10 = 20
Perception, taking 10: 10 + 8 = 18


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

"I agree, we cannot let it stand for all the reasons they have made it." Fhingle whispers back as he walks towards the north gate.

We are going north right?


Vitals:
(HP: 30/30; AC: 13[17]/12/11[15]; Perception: +8[+10] (Low-light); Init: +6; Fort: +3; Ref: +3 Will: +4; CMD: 14; CMB: +2; Speed: 30')
Male Human (Chelish) Witch 4 - Codename: Brakisi
Skills:
(Acro +2; Bluf +7; Diplo +5; Heal +7; Kn(Arcana) +10; Kn(Hist/Nature/Planes) +9; Lore(Silver Ravens) +10; Prof(Herbal) +10; SenseMot +1[+3]; Splcrft +12; Stealth +10; UMD +8)

Sidius suggests, "I imagine it's not protected against magic.. yet.. which creates a possiblity to interfere, though a dangerous one, given the lack of planning and number of workers.... Of course, the symbolism of it going up in flames before it could ever be used would be very powerful... even if the safer course would be to strike under cover of darkness."


Vigilante 4 | HP 29 | AC 17 T 14 FF 13 | F +2 R +7 W +4 | Init +5 | Perc +3 |

"I can cause a bit of chaos, a masked mage appearing out of nowhere can be...surprising."


Forged Map | Rebels Map

The platform is being constructed by a couple of carpenter experts with assistance from a few dottari guards.

Other, what appear to be heavily armored knights in plate look on impatiently , with a few large, feral dogs at their sides.


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

Talvek does indeed take the southern approach to the Devil's Nursery, passing by Holding House in the hopes of picking up any more information about those imprisoned within.

Diplomacy to gather info: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Once in the familiar neighbourhood, he beelines home, eager to see his mothers and sisters and the rest of his family. He mulls over how much he should tell them about what he's doing, in the end opting for complete honesty. They deserved to know what was going on, and if his actions put them in danger by association, they deserved to know that as well and make their own choices about what they would do.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella reported to the others, "The platform construction area looks to be pretty heavily defended right now. I hate to say it, but I think we have to wait until they relax their guard."

She wrote a note and attached it to her raven figurine: "Heading outside the city to make contact with a potential ally — back tomorrow." She went to a discrete spot to release the messenger, instructing it to deliver the message to Laria's bedroom window.

That done, she figured the best use of her afternoon would be to listen for rumors. She spent some time in the marketplaces chatting and surreptitiously eavesdropping on conversations.

Diplomacy (gather information): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


Forged Map | Rebels Map

Lubella launches the bird with message without difficulties

Talvek makes it to his family house in the Nursery

The others by asking around, overhear there will be an excruciation at sunset, starting with a Knight of the Torrent for crimes against the state.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

I presume that we are meeting Setrona at the gate about 30-40 min after sunset (twilight dusk).

After learning more about the excruciation, Lubella stopped in at the Owl Bakery for a slightly early supper. She was still seething as she told Julessa privately, "Barzillai Thrune has arranged for his 'Doghousing' torture for sunset at Veritas Plaza; apparently the victim is one of the knights of the Order of the Torrent. We've got to stop to this outrage, but the place is probably going to be crawling with guards!"

After her meal, she returned to site of the upcoming display of terror. After surveying the regime presence, she met up with her comrades and conferred with them, "What do you think? I'd like to stop Barzillai's sick game, but security looks pretty heavy."

From the 3rd combat slide, it looks like there might be four dottari, four Hellknights, and two large dogs.


Forged Map | Rebels Map

You overhear one local not far from where you are standing

”Yeah I watched the morning feeding of the doghousing victim. The dottari announced to the whole crowd that the man was an outlaw...a Hellknight from the Order of the Torrent. Then that dottari showed the crowd the mans armor--a scale mail base with a fish with fish scales, flutes on the helm and the like. So now everyone will be able to recognize an outlaw Hellknight should they see one. It was horrible. Making the man fight the dogs for scraps. But old Thrune loved it. Decided this here platform would add to the show. Despicable! “

Within Veritas Plaza itself, you find a newly-built platform there with two feral hounds chained to wooden poles just beyond reach of the nail-festooned doghouse. A shadowy figure can be seen, lying unmoving, inside the doghouse.

Beyond the two dogs, there are several other guards present. Four are dottari, but dressed unlike any you've previously seen patrolling the city streets. These guards wear similar black leather pants and boots but don darkened chainmail armor and wide, face-hiding leather hoods. They are armed with halberds and longswords.

Four Hellknights of the Order of the Rack are also present, one standing at each corner of the doghousing platform. Clad in the Hellknight plate and wielding heavy steel shields, these fighters are armed with gleaming longswords and likewise have longbows for ranged combat. These knights stand at the ready, not like dottari recruits. These men appear to be well-trained veterans.


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

We may not be able to help him, we cannot be everywhere. I don't want the man to die either. We don't need to get in a stand up brawl with them but to pull some away and then cause some havoc at the Doghousing platform would be okay?" Fhingle says quietly to Lubella.


Vitals:
(HP: 30/30; AC: 13[17]/12/11[15]; Perception: +8[+10] (Low-light); Init: +6; Fort: +3; Ref: +3 Will: +4; CMD: 14; CMB: +2; Speed: 30')
Male Human (Chelish) Witch 4 - Codename: Brakisi
Skills:
(Acro +2; Bluf +7; Diplo +5; Heal +7; Kn(Arcana) +10; Kn(Hist/Nature/Planes) +9; Lore(Silver Ravens) +10; Prof(Herbal) +10; SenseMot +1[+3]; Splcrft +12; Stealth +10; UMD +8)

Sidius nods, "I think Fhingle's got the right of it. We could likely start something to draw them away - and use that to deny them their fun -- at least by wrecking the platform."


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella moved closer to the eyewitness of the morning feeding, and tried to keep him talking, "You mean they bring the prisoner out of the doghouse and put the food near him, within reach of the chains tying the dogs to the pole? And the prisoner is chained too?" She was hoping to learn how the Order of the Torrent knight would be restrained, and get an idea of where the guards would be.

Diplomacy, taking 10: 10 + 12 = 22


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

Diplomacy skill, hours: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 251d4 ⇒ 2

Fhingle tries to talk to other people, seeing what he can find out to get all the information they can gather.

"Have you heard why the knights of the Torrent are being prosecuted like this? They seem to be the most helpful Hell Knights."

I don't think you can take a 10 since there is a chance of failure or getting caught. Not 100% sure and it is up to the GM


Forged Map | Rebels Map

Lubella talks to the man from the morning...

Lubella:

It was a horrid sight. A dottari opened the cage, and the emaciated man leaped out, dashed across the ground trying to grab food scraps mixed with garbage. At the same time, two hungry dogs were unleashed and pounced forward to viciously contend for the same food. Hushed whispers, gasps, and a few cheers were heard in the crowd.

One burly shopkeeper responds to Fhingle

Fhingle:

“Why the Order of the Torrent was banned by Barzillai Thrune after he found out that they were actually minions of Norgorber and had been operating as a thieves’ guild—when the order took out the Gray Spiders all those years ago, they did more than end that guild; they BECAME that guild!”

figure Talvek has returned and you have the above info

As the sun sets over the city walls, the work on the platform appears to be wrapping up. The guards and crowds appear to be forming. You suspect within 15 mins the event will begin on the platform.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Lubella moved around, trying to see if she could get a clear view of the prisoner; she was trying to judge if it would be possible to cast her communication spell on the man. The really tricky part was that she would need some sort of diversion to avoid being noticed.

She also tried to estimate how easy it might be for someone to jump up onto the platform from the crowd side.

Lubella is trying to see if she can see the prisoner well enough to target him with a Message spell before he's let out, preferably from around 130-140 ft. It may not be feasible to do this without being noticed by the guards, but I thought I'd check.

We likely would need someone to break or loosen his restraints, hence the inquiry about jumping onto the platform.


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

His curiosity aroused by the crowds trickling into the square, Talvek follows them to find the preparations for the excruciation in full swing, and his companions not far off. Making his way to them, he starts whispering urgently.

"There is something I need to discuss with you all, but not here. We should head out soon, if we want to make it out of the gates..." He trails off, noticing their preoccupied expressions. "What's happening? What are you plotting this time? You don't seriously think you can free this Hellknight, do you?"


Vitals:
(HP: 30/30; AC: 13[17]/12/11[15]; Perception: +8[+10] (Low-light); Init: +6; Fort: +3; Ref: +3 Will: +4; CMD: 14; CMB: +2; Speed: 30')
Male Human (Chelish) Witch 4 - Codename: Brakisi
Skills:
(Acro +2; Bluf +7; Diplo +5; Heal +7; Kn(Arcana) +10; Kn(Hist/Nature/Planes) +9; Lore(Silver Ravens) +10; Prof(Herbal) +10; SenseMot +1[+3]; Splcrft +12; Stealth +10; UMD +8)

Sidius nods, "We do. Or, at least, deny his Lordship his spectacle." He offers, "I have a potion of invisibility... I can probably use that to get close enough to use my magic, as long as we can move quickly... and you don't need me to attack directly."


HP 43 l AC 19 (T 13, FF17) l 3/3/5 (+2 vs Fear) l Init +2 l Perc +8 *Cover Name - Ba*

The Life link is range touch.

K Local about the spiders: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

"Interesting, well that I had never heard." Fhingle replies.


Forged Map | Rebels Map

Lubella moves around as each of you discuss tactics. Definitely out numbered, but having the element of surprise on your side.

The platform itself is 30'x30' and 5' off the ground. Targeting the man in the crate/cage from below will be very difficult. There is one open side (aka doghouse) and it is currently facing south (bright side of yellow box).

You figure all other buildings are 1 or 2 story with 10' each level.

One of the dottari moves in for the sunset feeding while two of his comrades temporarily hold the chained dogs at bay.

The captive armiger hands can be seen grasping the bars of the cage.

A vast majority of the citizens watching the spectacle appear horrified by the punishment. They don't look likely to oppose anyone trying to help the prisoner, but would they actually help?

The lead dottari near the cage calls out.

If you intend to intervene, now or never. Place yourselves where you want to be on the map. Figure 10-15 spectators scattered around as well

Citizens of Kintargo! Let it be known that the Lord Mayor has declared excrutiation a fair punishment for the treachery performed by this man...a common criminal. He will pay the price for his crimes. Mercy is offered to him by Lord Thrune if he but provide the hiding place of of his lictor and ringleader of the criminals of the Torrent. What say you?

The dottari bangs his halberd against the side of the cage.

The main inside stays silent.

Very well...so be it.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

In a nearby alley, Lubella went over the plan, such as it was, "When the they open the cage, Sidius will start casting a summoning spell. Someone needs to jump up onto the platform, in case the prisoner has a rope around his ankle or something; Talvek, do you want to jump onto the platform, or engage one of the Hellknights on the south side of the platform? I'll do the other. Fhingle, you should wait a little further back.

"Once we get the prisoner off the platform, we're going to run south. I'll create greasy patches to slow down our pursuers, and fight a rearguard action; I'll have extra speed so I can disengage. Talvek, don't forget your about tanglefoot bag. Our focus is on getting away, not killing the enemy. If they chase us, we'll lose them in the Devil's Nursery. Any questions?"

Lubella will cast Heroism on either herself or Talvek (whichever one is going to jump onto the platform). She will cast Message on all party members.

After the quick huddle, she moved into position just south of the platform. When the dottari moved to open the cage, she pulled her bandana up over her face, and cast a spell to increase her speed.

Casting Expeditious Retreat. She was wearing her bandana around her neck.


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

"I couldn't let you put yourself in the gravest danger! I'll take the platform." Talvek looks measuringly at distances and proportions, tensing his body as he tries to prepare for the feat of acrobatics that this will no doubt require. He uncorks and drinks two vials in quick succession, and his movements become quicker and more fluid. He had used up his self-altering extract earlier, but he does his best to obscure his head and cover up exposed bits of his skin. If this succeeded, they would no doubt hunt down every tiefling in the Nursery. Mouthing a silent apology to his mother and aunts and sisters, he squares his shoulders.

"I'm ready."

Disguise, inspiration: 1d20 + 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + (4) + 3 = 8
Acrobatics, inspiration: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 10 + (3) = 32

Taking Dex mutagen and Heightened Awareness extract, which he will use for a +4 to initiative.


AKA "Kyda" Halfling Dawnflower Dervish 4 | HP: 39/39 AC:19 T:15 F:15 | Saves F:6 R:10 W:5 | Init: 4 | Per: 8 | CMB:1 CMD:15 | Speed 30ft | Active: Protection from Law

Since Talvek is volunteering to jump onto the platform, Lubella cast her Heroism spell on him (as per my previous post). So his Disguise result will be 10. Note that you decide whether or not to use inspiration after the check is rolled, so you could decide that his acrobatics check of 19+10+2=31 is enough, and conserve your inspiration.


Tiefling Investigator (empiricist) 3/Swashbuckler (inspired blade) 1 | HP 40/40+9/9 | AC 18 Tch. 14, Ff. 14 | Fort +5. Ref +10, Will +2 | Resist cold/electricity/fire: 5 | Init +5 | Perception +11; darkvision 60 ft. | "Jackdaw"

Yes, then I will do that, thank you.


Forged Map | Rebels Map

gm:

Initiative:
Initiative (Arcos): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Initiative (Lubella): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Initiative (Talvek): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Initiative (Fhingle): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Initiative (Sidius): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Dottari : 1d20 ⇒ 15
Knights : 1d20 ⇒ 4
Dogs : 1d20 ⇒ 1
.

Your band moves into position....and jumps onto the platform, triggering a cry of outrage from the guards.

”Stop! No assistance is allowed to the prisoner! “

8d20 ⇒ (14, 11, 10, 20, 5, 6, 14, 17) = 97

surprise round...bold have one action or move
21-Talvek (jumped), Fhingle, Sidius
16-Dottari x4
9-Arcos,Lubella
4-Knights x4
1-Dogs x2

2,351 to 2,400 of 2,865 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Barzillai Thrune's Hell's Rebels All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.