Out of the Abyss

Game Master ULTRAGEEK


351 to 400 of 750 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Human GM

Carson:

Even with Helms protection, you only spot shadows, moving against the darkness of the water. No sign of anything else....

Carson and Lanezra:

You have the same dream as last time, both of your gods beckoning you to. However, this time, the black background repeatedly turns to a deep, almost bloodlike, shade of red. You find this oddly unsettling, and both of you awake in cold sweat.

Uran:

You are able to catch 10 fish. Several times you see a tentacle, or feel something huge cause disturbances in the water.
Make a survival check to identify the proper fish to eat please. You have advantage on the check, since you already navigated these waters :)

Sen:

You have a deeply unsettling dream. What appears to be several drow warriors are lying dead on the ground, bleeding out. What appears to be a mass of rotting flesh with tentacles is above them. You are woken up by Jimjar's shaking, and finding out that you are covered in your own sweat.


Human GM

Just making sure I keep track. If i'm correct, you each have 150 xp,right? :)


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Assuming our rest passes uneventfully

When the priest's watch is over, he wakes his companions. While they break their fast, he checks them over, examining their injuries to make sure they are properly healed and not becoming infected, as well as checking their general health.

While working in Lanzera, he quietly asks, "Were you visited last nigth as well?" Upon confirmation. "What do you make of the symbolism of the color red? For me, red signifies blood and strife, but I know for others it represents passion and enthusiasm, or other completely different things."


Human GM

Motioning to Carson, Lanezra, and Sen, Jimjar remarks You three seemed to have odd dreams last night


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"I dreamt in my sleep, indeed -- as you say, Carson, in Red.

"I'd not hazard a guess on the symbolism, black then red; it could mean anything and we as yet do not have enough knowledge.

But we must move forward. --Anyone know another way to get there?"....

.

...."Good Morrow, Sen. I was wondering if you experienced the dream Carson and I dreamt. Jimjar says you dreamt; would you tell me?"


Human GM

If you want to rp the journey, just do it in spoilers. Will move on right now. :)
Soon, you reach the city of the kuo-toa! The kuo-toa you fought earlier are trapped in nets, while several other kuo-toa ware standing above them. One looks up Hello..?


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Undercommon:

Greeting of the Sea Mother to you. I see you have captures some of those despoilers of your faith. We too had an encounter with them, and sent several to their watery grave. We seek a place to recover within your great city. To whom do we need to speak?


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

conversation with group as we travel:
Sen returns the greeting perfunctorily, avoiding the question of the dream. Not so much because she'd rather not share (which is true enough), but in large part because she's still trying to figure out what it might mean...or if it means anything at all.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson makes sure they are provisioned with edible food and fresh water for the remainder of their trip. As they continue their voyage, the priest speaks, "Many of you have me at a disadvantage here. You all speak the language down here. I, on the other hand, can't even ask where the outhouse is or where to get a beer. Two of the key phrases for anyone to know in foreign lands. I would greatly appreciate if you would assist me in learning this undertongue."

So I see there are no rules for learning languages, other than taking the Linguist feat, so I don't know how you would like to handle the learning language thing.


Human GM

You can spend one hour per day for 2d20 days in order to gain prof in a language. This is a house rule I made up on the spot, it case you were wondering :)

During the trip:
Jimjar gladly volunteers to help Carson Seems fun, I'l help you

The kua-toa!:

I am Ploopploopeen, archpriest of the Sea Mother Blibdoolvploop. She answers my prayers by delivering you. Help us, and you will be rewarded for your service Jimjar warily glances around, while Stool stares in amazement at the fish-men, and Eldeth grumbles something about serving the prayers of no corrupt dark-dwellers


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

"What is your problem, Ploopploopeen? Is it the heretic followers of the Sea Father?", Uran asks. He translates to common everything he and the Kuo-Toa are saying so all will understand.


Human GM

Yes... My own daughter started the heretical following!


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson thinks about all he knows of Blibdoolpoolp, as Uran translates. With only a rudimentary knowledge of the language, he sticks to common, allowing the others to translate. "Ask them what they can tell us about this 'Sea Father' and its teachings. 'Heretical' doesn't always equate to evil; just a difference of theology."

What I know about the Lobstah-goddess...: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Earlier I got a 25 total on Knowledge Religion for Blipdoolpoolp (a nat 20) -- Lanezra relays to Carson his extensive knowledge of the dogma and such.

"Well, Carson, first: Don't call her 'Lobstah-Goddess' or 'Lobstah-Babe' or anything like that."

;)


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

As Lanzera fills him in in Blib, he comments quietly, "So I guess melted butter is taboo too..."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks."


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen stays off to the side, rather lost and uncomfortable among the caverns. She does, however, watch and observe the kuo-toa closely, intensely interested despite not understanding a word of their language.


Human GM

After listening to Uran translate everything you say, the Kua-Toa replies Well... they sacrifice innocents!


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson's ears perk up when Uran translates. "Well then, perhaps we should go somewhere to discuss this. Several of us have been guided here by visions."

Once they have gotten off the mushroom boat, and found a quiet place to speak with Plooploopeen, Carson has some questions. "Ok, let's start from the beginning. Who is Plooploopeen's daughter. When did she start this cult of the Sea Father, and where are they based?"


Human GM

Ah, see, I need your help Plooploppen explains as he guides the party through the streets of the underdark, several kuo-toa slugging it out one the edges of the streets as you walk along A few weeks ago, my own daughter, Bloppblippodd, claimed to see visions induced by the abomination of a god Leemooggoogoon, the Deep Father. Since then, followers have flocked to her. They've been sacrificing things into the lake, where they were devouvered by.... something. Pausing, he looks around I need you to pretend to be sacrifices, which I will offer as a token of "peace". When you get close, I need you to disrupt the ceremony! You will be handsomely rewarded for your efforts


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen nods, glancing around to judge the others' reactions. I doubt I can do it alone, but if the rest of you are willing, (with significant looks at Carson, Lanezra, Uran [and any other PCs still with us]), I would be more than happy to assist. Especially if the reward includes help moving toward the surface. She looks around the kua-toa settlement. No offense, but I hate caves.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Uran chuckles as Sen talks about hating caves.
"Well now, I never thought I would hear a Drow talk about hating caves, but I can understand. I feel the same about forests...


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen snarls at that. I'm not a Drow! she snaps, then turns away, embarrassed.

She's only Drowtouched - an Elf with Drow heritage somewhere in her family tree who manifests one or more traits associated with Drow heritage. It tends to ostracize the individual from Elven society, which makes such Elves very touchy about being called Drow.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

But she does look like a drow right??


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

@Uran - Somewhat. Definitely in the dark. Light blonde hair, super-dark (but not Drow-black) skin, and such. Your comment was totally in line with her appearance, but her people have made her hate such comments, hence her reaction. Of course, not knowing you folks all that well, she's definitely embarrassed by her outburst, since she doesn't want to risk alienating you before you reach the surface - she'll need your help to survive down here long enough to get there.


Human GM

Eldeth, Jimjar, Stool, and Topsy and Turvy all look a bit annoyed at being sacrificed. However, they grudgingly agree. Stay with the group Eldeth mutters. During Sen's outburst, the myconid, 3 deep gnomes, and dwarf all look a bit surprised, but do not speak immediately, as it looks like a sensitive topic.

Plooploppen excitedly shouts Yes! Before we take venegence against the abomination known as the Deep Father, we must make our way to the shrine of Blibdoolploolp

Turning to the left, you begin to head toward the Shrine to the Sea Mother. After a few minutes you arrive to a space near the center of the city. A nine-foot tall statue stands here. It's body is roughly carved from some kind of wood in the shape of a humanoid female, its head and forearms formed from the head and claws of a giant albino crayfish. The parts are lashed on with strands of gut, and emit the overpowering stench of rotting shellfish. Shells, brightly colored stones, mushrooms, and rotting fish are piled at the statues feet and strung in garlands around it's neck. Four stern kuo-toa circle the statue, alert and on-guard, while a few others mill about, gazing up at the statue and bowing repeatedly while chanting.

All who come here must make an offering, Plooploppen says.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson stands up, "Woah, wait a minute. We just arrived here, met up with this guy, and he says we need to pretend to be sacrifices to infiltrate the cult, and you just roll with it? We don't know anything about what is going on here, and I, for one, am not just giving myself up for sacrifice. There has to be a different way to get close enough to disrupt this ceremony."

Yeah, sorry, Carson would NOT give himself up as a 'fake' sacrifice for a guy he just met who worships an evil god...


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Insight roll into Ploopy's motives: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Not actually sure their god is evil...neutral for sure...but anyway, I would have to agree with Carson. Uran would not just give himself up without some more info on what is happening.


Human GM

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to wait till I get home to look at the book. Will post later. In that case, I will modify what happens in my last post


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen looks at Carson, confused. They need our help. Are you saying we should not help them, because we just met them?


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

"I'm not saying that at all, Sen. What I am saying is there has to be a different way to disrupt this ceremony that to pretend to be sacrifices. That is what I am objecting to.


Human GM

Ignore my previous post :). Instead, this is what happens:
Topsy, Turvy, Jimjar, Stool, and Eldeth grudgingly agree to be sacrificed, but, when Carson voices his opinion, Eldeth motions for Uran not to translate Look, I don't think these smelly fish-folk care whether or not we want to be sacrificed. Chances are, they're going to force us anyways. Waving her hand, the dwarf continues Look, they outnumber us. If we do agree, they might back us up if something goes wrong. If we don't agree, well... they probably won't care

Carson:

You see that Plooploppeen has a real desire to eliminate the Deep Father, as well as well.... kill his daughter


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson's brow furrows as he thinks. Eldeth was right, the kuo-toa had them against a wall. If they were going to sacrifice them, why make up a story about disrupting a rite; they would just take them captive and sacrifice them. He pursed his lips. "I don't like the means at all, and I am sure we could come up with a better plan, but if they insist on this course of action, as you say, we have no choice. Ask for details on how they propose to offer us up, and still allow us to keep vital gear needed for us to pull off a disruption?". While the priest understands what Eldeth is saying, he wants clarity on the details of the plan.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Aside and quietly, with just Carson, Sen, Uran & Plooploppen:

"I've been thinking,.... while you all were discussing-- Plooploppen, how many of the Kuo Toa here support you and your disgust of Leemooggoogoon?

"If your plan is possible at all -- and like Carson Jarroc, I have my concerns -- we're going to need more information. Who will be at the 'sacrifice' that supports you, Plooploppen? And who will be there that supports Leemooggoogoon?

"Further, normally in a plan such as this, we the 'sacrifice' would wait for a signal from you when to disrupt the ceremony.
"But I don't trust you.
"We would have to decide for ourselves when to expose the charade and attack the Deep Father's ritual. Again, you need to tell us more info.

"You're right, Eldeth, we are outnumbered -- but I'll lie and bluff, or fight to the death, before I give up. I may not be great at fighting but I'm damn good at deception and pulling off gambits such as this.

"I for one love the idea of pretending to be a sacrifice to an evil god only to jump up at a moment of ecstasy and send the evil priests to their just desserts in the Abyss!"

.

Whispering to Carson so that no one else can hear:
"Doesn't 'Leemooggoogoon' sound an offal lot like 'Demogorgan' to You?!! You know, 'The Deep Father'?! ....With a big, scary monster in the depths of this Underdark lake eating sacrifices?!

"Now I've studied a LOT of Demon Lords, Arch Devils and vile gods and I've never heard of a 'Deep Father,' but Demogorgan -- I've heard of it! (I think I better start praying to Oghma a bit more fervantly!)"


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

What I know about Demogorgon Religeon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Human GM

Plooplopeen replies to Carson's question We plan to overwhelm the enemy with our numbers he continues, gesturing to the kuo-toa surrounding him. And we shall pass to you your tools when the disruption starts

Carson:

You remember what you mostly already know Demorgorgon is the highest demon lord, despised by many gods, including Helm. Also, like Lanezra, you can not remember anything about the Deep Father


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Uran takes Carson aside and speaks to him.

"While I agree that I would prefer not to get entangled in this religious infighting, I do not think we really have a choice. Either we volunteer, or they volunteer us...at the point of their spears. Perhaps we can get something from the chief by cooperation, but however you look at it, we will be helping."

Sorry for the delay...crazy busy at work lately!


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The soldier priest looked down at Uran. "What I am trying to say is , strategywise, this is a bad plan. I'd rather have them cause a disruption with their numbers, allowing us to sneak in to the inner sanctum to take out Bloppblippodd and the higher ups in the cult. But if everyone is perfectly fine with walking into a potential real sacrifice, I will be coming along to do whatever I can to keep you all alive. I'm just stating that I don't like it and could think of five better plans."

Looking back at Plooplopeen he says, "Ask him if we can keep our armor. I'd hate to take 5 minutes after the action starts to get into this get-up." Carson traces the lines of Helm's holy symbol he has carved into his hand. time might be coming when he gets to find out if this is going to work. "And if we can at least take some time to rest from our journey before being led off to the sacrifice."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"And, Plooplopeen, we still need more specific information. Describe the layout; explain the ritual and how the sacrifice works; how many followers of Leemoggoogoon do you figure will be there and how many followers of Blipdoolpoolp; how can we tell the difference between the two?

"What is your plan?...."

Insight on why Plooplopeen isn't being very forthcoming with our questions: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 Does the Kuo Toa even have a specific plan?

Persuasion on Plooplopeen to be more forthcoming: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Knowledge Religion on Demogorgon: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

.

"I don't think, Carson & Uran, that we are going to be 'forced' into this 'at the point of a spear'; however, both Carson and I were sent visions by our deities to come here. Now, I'm pretty new to actually following a deity so it's kinda strange; I just study them. But if I'm really going to dedicate my life to Oghma, following his visions seems like a good idea."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

"I'm not sure about your vision, but mine didn't have anything about us being faux sacrificed. All I got was an arrow pointing here and the color red. As I said, I'm willing to help. I'd rather do it a different way, but if this is the way that everyone else wants to do it, lets get about it."


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

"Well if you can come up with something else, I will back you, but as I said, I think we are going to have to help one way or another..."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

"Lets here what Plooplopeen's reply to Lanzera's questions are. We don't have enough information to make a plan yet."


Human GM

Lanezra:

You do not gain much insight to Plooplopeen's motives, and so can not figue out why he is not being so forthcoming

However, you remember much of what you have already learned about the Prince of Demons. You remember that he wields great power, that there are several small cults around Farun dedicated to him, and that he can cause madness wherever he goes. This madness part reminds you of what Jimjar said. That the kuo-toa are so mad, they can create their own gods...


Plooplopeen seems reluctant to share his plan with you, but he does so none the less. He says that his guards, who will pretend to be loyal to the Deep Father, will surge forward, overwhelming the enemy. He will then toss you your weapons, and rush forward to fight his daughter. In the confusion, he explains, you can escape, and take some gold from the altar.


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen frowns thoughtfully. It sounds like the "sacrifices" will then be in melee. Is there a place for a sniper in this plan? I'm much better with a bow than a blade.


Human GM

Plooplopeen frowns, which quickly turns into a thoughtful look. You could sneak off to the side, and shoot our foe from their?


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

I will attempt it.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson sighs. Nothing about this is right. They have no information about the number of cultists and the numbers of Plooplopeen's guards. They have no idea of if Plooplopeen's motives are true. They have no idea of the layout of thearea where this will take place, or the capabilities of those involved.

Carson indicates that he wants every word of this translated. "We are willing to help you with this problem, but, frankly, your plan is horrible. There are countless things which could go wrong. To do this and assure that the cult is wiped out, we need to know the following."

"First, how many of them are there and what are their capabilities. Are the general cultists elite soldiers or regular citizens? Are there an elite guard? What are Bloppblippodd's capabilities?"

"Second, where is this supposed to happen? What is the space like? Are we going to be fighting in a large open space, or running around in tunnels?"

"I would prefer if we went in and did some surveillance first, got a lay of the land, and use your guards to distract the main forces of the cult, and we would slip in and, figuratively, cut off the head of the cult by dealing with your daughter and her inner circle.

"The benefits of this plan are many. For one, we will not be without our gear and relying on someone else to arm us. Also, we all will know more about the situation, and potentially be able to deal with things more efficiently.

"That is my plan. Reconnisance. Distraction, and a surgical strike and the cult leadership. It is much more strategically sound than walking into a sacrifice and fighting our way out.


Human GM

Carson, roll a persuasion check with advantage, since the kuo-toa think you were sent by their god. Ploopy is very set in his ways


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Sure, no problem.

Persuasion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9with Advantage: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

351 to 400 of 750 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Out of the Abyss 5e All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.