Out of the Abyss

Game Master ULTRAGEEK


501 to 550 of 750 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"This madness truly is a frightening plague," Absalom adds, a slight grimace on his face from the taste of the food. "Can you remember anything else that happened in the last tenday, Gorlak? Perhaps it is merely a matter of cause and effect."


Human GM

Gorlak scratches his head. Hm.... Well, our slavers did make notice of some giant creature in the water......and now that you mention it.... those were the slavers that went mad. Also, a rather mysterious drow arrived, but he was a trader who just liked to keep to himself. Worked for that mercenary company, Breagan D'whatchamacalit, or something like that.

Demorgorgon... well, he actually appeared about 5,6 hours ago. It was a long trek through the tunnels :)


|HP 7/20 bear 34/34|AC:14|Prof: +2, Str:-1, Dex: +0, Con: +2; Int: +0; Wis: 3; Cha: +3;|Init: +0|Perc: +5, PP: 15, Insight: +3|Speed 30|Spell slots 3/3 druid 1/1 warlock|Active Conditions: None

"Clansman Gorlak, are you ever going to pay me back that gold you owe me? The tavern is still angry about your outburst and my wife is on my back about it."

Persuasion:
Persuasion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson glances at Dessarin's thinly veiled attempt to get gold out of the duergar, This one could be trouble he thought to himself. To Gorlak, "A large creature in the water? Could you tell us where this was? Did you see it? And this drow, the Bregan D'aerthe, is he still here?" To himself, he thinks, Hmm, we find the remails of Bregan D-aerthe merceneries, and a mysterious Bregan D'aerthe shows up right about the time of the madness. And a creature in the water that causes madness...


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Absalom has begun jotting a few notes down as Gorlak has begun talking. It seemed as though his rescuers were intent on solving the problems of the duegar, and the gnome had no problem with that.

"Perhaps we could take an after-dinner stroll about town and see what we can learn of this mysterious drow," Absalom comments, looking over his spectacles at Carson and Lanezra. "It could be that either he or the beast in the waters could be having some strange effect upon your neighbors, Gorlak."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson nodded, "It wouldn't be the first time a beast in the water had that effect..."


Human GM

Gorlak springs up at Mordals request for gold I will do nothing of that kind! That brawl was you fault and you know it! He smooths out his clothes, sits down, and takes deep breaths in an attempt to calm down.

He turns toward Carson. This creature was seen near Sloopbludop, but I know this only through rumors, as I've never seen it myself. As for the drow, he left shortly after he came. Although, I do think that the creature, rather than the drow, was the source of all of this He waves his hand in the air....


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"Did the rumors say anything about what the beast looks like, or how it is acting? Perhaps we can ascertain the nature of this monster and be prepared to rid the city of it." Absalom has finished his meal, and is sitting down, reviewing mental notes from the expedition he had been travelling with. Not much he could recall about aquatic beasts. Perhaps there was something more to this insanity plaguing the duergar.

Making an arcana check to see if what is happening sounds like any magical thing at all. Also will a history check to see if there is any known precedent for something like this to occur.
Arcana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson's face darkens, "I thing we've got a fairly good description....huge...two baboon heads.....tentacles.... While I am sure this creature is playing a part, I would not be so quick to dismiss the drow. Do you know if the drow met with anyone, or what part of the city he was seen in?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"In either case," Lanezra looks mildly unconcerned; Demogorgon frightened him and neither duergar nor drow concern him, "does anyone know how to get back to the surface?...."

Let the multiplicity of darkness in the Underdark deal with yet another shade of itself. My allies seem intent on seeking out the cause of madness in a duergar town and destroying it. Shall we seek and destroy each new taint we find down here? Shall we be slaves to a cause -- and are we not just freed slaves ourselves, brought to the Underdark as chattel?

The 'odd' one, Dessarin, played a brilliant gambit; I wish I had thought of it! But now it's my turn....

"Uncle, you know we were gone for a great while and glad we are of our reunion. But hear our tale:
We learned of a surface merchant who has access to a vast supply of mithral and adamantine, of gems and cold iron. We paid for the use of magic to contact him for we knew he had no one to forge his raw materials into great weapons and tools. We can find him and work with him -- bringing you the mithral and adamantine, the gems and the cold iron, for with to forge your great items. Our clan shall become great and fill our enemies with awe and fear; and we shall have the wealth of Laduguer!
But we need help to find the surface. Help us! How can we reach the land of sun and moon?!"

Deception:

Let us see: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

....Or am I wrong about this?
Are we not a slave to a cause but driving our own destiny here among the darkness? What does it mean to be a holy warrior, afterall?
And more importantly, where else could I learn all the mysteries of the Nether Planes, of the Infernal and Abyssal? For that is what I desire.

I am conflicted, and partly I hope my new uncle has no idea how to return to the surface. For what remains for me in the Moonwood? Shall I live a life of quiet study in Silverymoon? ....No, a life of adventuring scholarship and deceit suits me, with an occasional holy war.


Human GM

To Carson:
The drow headed towards the Blade Bazaar, according to rumors. It makes sense, really, that's were you go to get trading done.

To Absalom:
The rumors mentioned tentacles.... and two heads. It had fur, which is odd for any creature that resides in the darklake....

For Absalom:

The description calls to mind Demorgorgon, the prince of demons!

To Lanezra
That sounds like a lot of gold.... Course, the closest way to the surface would be Neverlight Grove, and the second closest would be Blingdenstone. But, if you ask me, it's better to be among those tiny gnomes than those damn mushrooms!


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Do I have a little more background info on that? It's bad, that I know, but...do i know anything about Demorgorgon?


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson listens to Lanzera as he spins his tale. Getting home did sound safer than fighting demon lords, but if a prince of demons was appearing in the Underdark, it would only be a matter of time before the overworld was affected. Regardless, this information was good to have. They had promised to see Stool and the Gang back to their homes, anyway, so they still had a ways to go before getting to the surface.


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

"That description sends chills down my spine and I know of the creature of which you speak. It holds great power, much beyond that of what this small band could ever hope to overcome. In fact, I suggest a rapid and expedient retreat from even rumors of it. If you value your souls, it is time to leave!" His voice gruff from lack of use, the familiar muscles working their way back into memory. His words grow emboldened and hotter as he speaks.


Human GM
Absalom Mephistopheles wrote:
Do I have a little more background info on that? It's bad, that I know, but...do i know anything about Demorgorgon?

[ooc]It's ok :)

What you know:
Demogorgon is a large, powerful demon lord who is from the Abyss. He is large, and has two baboon heads, as well as large tentacles. Like many demons and devils, he has various cults dedicated to him, although his cult is larger and has more influence. The Prince of Demons is a foe with several other demon lords, but none have yet managed to truly defeat him.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson stands, "Well Gorlak, we have had a long journey. We thank you for this fine feast and the conversation. We are tired from our journey and wish some rest. We will come and visit more on the morrow. Unsure of the customary duergar farewell, he salutes in teh way of his troop.

[ooc=Once Outside]The priest looks at his companions, " Let us find a place to rest. It has been a long day for all of us, and we have much to discuss." He heards off in search of The Ghohlborns Lair.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Are we still looking for information about this madness and the Aspect of Demogorgon we encountered among the Kuo Toa -- or are we ready to leave this drab place behind for good?

"Honestly, I am indifferent, though I'm sure Stool is ready to get out of here and back to his home (where lies a route to the surface, yes?)"

.
.
.
.

Who all is with us still?


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"Both sounds like fascinating opportunities for research," Absalom quips. "But if we are to rest, should we not stay with Gorlak? He seemed very accommodating, and I'm sure he wouldn't suffer his 'clansmen' to pay for a bed or camp in the caves if he had the space available."


Human GM

Pretty much all the npcs are with you, as well as you 4. Pretty much all of them, except Eldeth, are in no condition to fight.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson responds to Absalom, "I would not want to put my clansman out. We have a fairly large entourage, and beside, I would like some time alone."

Once Outside:
Carson responds to Lanzera, "I am torn. While I would like nothing better than to see the sun on my face, Demogorgon represents a large threat. If aspects of the Abyss are manifesting here, how long will it take for them to get to the world above, if they have not already? There doesn't seem to be a clear lead as the cause of this madness, other than the sightings of the Aspect, and this drow, who seems to have disappeared."

He thinks a while longer, "I do not relish bringing Stool, Eldeth and the others into danger. I think we should see them safely to their homes. Perhaps we shall discover more information along our trek.


Human GM

So, should I just let you guys decide what you want to? Get rest, investigate, etc? Just saying, I won't be able to post tomorrow, due to IRL
Stools voice pipes up in your head. May we go to neverlight grove! You heard Gorlak, there's a route to the surface He pauses for a second. I think that I could help you find the route...


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Yes, Neverlight Grove is my first choice. We can get you home, Stool, and we get back to the surface."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson nods at the plan. "Lets all keep our eyes open for more strangeness. Stool, while we travel, perhaps you can tell us about your home. I, for one, have very little experience in the Underdark."


Human GM

Each of you gets 15 xp for getting that information :)

After a well deserved rest and a complimentary breakfast delivered by the leader of the inn (who is rather friendly), you set out towards Neverlight Grove, and eventually, your ticket towards the surface! On your way out of the city, Stool informs you that although he is rather inexperienced in the ways of underdark travel, he has a sort of a "6th Sense", one that provides him with an innate sense of where home is. He leads you through the twisting and turning tunnels, pausing often to get his bearings, but always knowing that you are heading closer to Neverlight Grove.

As you walk through a particularly narrow tunnel, you come across a large path of what appears to be fungi. Jimjar quickly points out that none of the fungi look remotely edible,-something that was clear for you to already see-, and that the group should simply keep walking. However, Stools voice appears in your thoughts. We must be careful! Fungi can often hide many dangers!
Please make a perception check

What you know about Neverlight grove from what Stool tells you::

-Neverlight Groves inhabitants, myconids, are perfectly willing to share their food and water with the group, as they have an abundance of it
-The grove is ruled by two Sovereigns, Basida, who arrived about 2 years ago, and Phylo,who used to rule the community by himself. The two are dear friends.
-The grove is a large cavern, filled with mushrooms of all kinds
-There are 7 different social circles within the grove, divided by their function. They are: The circle of hunters, the circle of explorers, the circle of sowers, the circle of builders, the circle of growers, the inner circle, and the circle of masters


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 15


Human GM

Just warning you that I will not be able to post for the next 2 days.
Will post the results of the perception checks on Tuesday, since I'm away on Monday, and not many people will be able to go on the boards on the weekends


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Human GM

Carson and Lanezra:

You can see what appears to be a massive centipede hidden among the fungi. It appears to be feasting on something, and you recognize it instantly as a carrion crawler, a territorial scavenger that walks around in the dark feasting on the remains of the dead

Absalom and Mordal:

You do not seem the spot anything.... except, wait.... is that mushroom moving! Come to think of it, it is! It could be a Myconid!


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Nature: 1d20 ⇒ 8


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson holds out a hand, silently calling for silence. Slowly, he points out the tentacled centipede among the mushrooms. He gives the rest of the group a questioning look and shrugs his shoulders, before motioning to move on, slowly and quietly.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Lanezra reaches his hand out to Carson to stop him from moving forward, and tries to get the group to back up. "Those things are territorial and aggressive. Stool, is there another route?"


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

"Can I eat it?" Smacking his lips and looking intently at the creature. If it has blood it normally tastes good...


Human GM

Stool stares at Mordal with obvious surprise, and points somewhere off to the side of the creature. Looking at where he pointed, you can see a small hole off to the side of the giant centipede. We're going to have to be very quiet....


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson puts himself between the creature and the rest of the party. "Stealth is not a strong suit for a soldier in scale mail. I will cover your retreat."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Lanezra also readies his weapon and backs slowly out, following Stool and Eldeth.


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

Pulling his blade Mordal tests the edge with his thumb. The jagged edge now unrefined from constant use. The rust from dry blood further accentuates the worn blade, making it look almost serrated.

Running his palm down the blade Mordal is comforted by his one true friend in life. Wondering if they will dance again, Mordal looks up from his short reverie... ready.


Human GM

Can everyone make stealth checks?

Also, Lanezra, your character profile says that you are still level one :) We are currently at level 2 (350 xp)


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Stealth with Disadvantage: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 31d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 19


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Human GM

Stealthily, Mordal is able to make his way towards the small hole, and is almost there, when both Absalom and Carson trip and stumble on some fungi. The carrion crawler rears up, and you can see the ugly creature prepare it's tentacles to strike!

Mordal, Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Absalom, init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Lanezra, Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Carrion Crawler, init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Init Order:
The entire party in any order.
Carrion Crawler


Human GM

What it looks like


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Carson steadies himself from the trip, and turns to face the creature. "Get to the hole! I will hold it off!" He interposed himself between the creature and the rest of the group, and speaks in a clear ringing tone in a language none of you understand. There is a flash of silver light from his shield, which settles on all of you like dust.

Cast bless


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

Crouching very low, ready to pounce, Mordal moves several feet behind Carson. He could jump for the hole or jump to defend, though he clearly looks ready to fight with the shiny man.


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Sidestepping from the group a bit, Absalom mutters a quick incantation, and fire spurts from his hands.

Casting burning hands, per evocation specialty, if 2 creatures are in the way, I can create a pocket of safety for them. Moving so that 2 or less people are in my way

Burning Hands Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 2, 2) = 5
DC 13 reflex save for half damage. Will use the rest of my movement to head towards the hole.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

With the mischievousness of his Fey blood, and eager to put Carson's combat lessons to use, Lanezra starts to slash out with his halberd-- but then stays his wrists as, afterall, this is just a natural monster in the Underdark and not some bloodthirsty Demon or nefarious Devil.

Lanezra, still at the ready, backs down the hole.


Human GM

Dex save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
The creature attempts to move to one side, but trips and gets tangled on fungi, then falls into a heap. It attempts to attack the little gnome with it's tentacles, but finds that it cant reach Absalom through the mess of fungi!

The carrion crawler rolled a crit fail! Yay! Absalom, Carson, and Mordal get an AOE against it (since lanezra backed down the hole), and that was it's turn!

501 to 550 of 750 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Out of the Abyss 5e All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.