Out of the Abyss

Game Master ULTRAGEEK


701 to 750 of 750 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Carson watches Lanzera walk towards the fallen fungal drow, and sees the look if intereston his face. "What do you have there, Lanzera?"


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Lanezra spreads his arms in welcome for Carson, Absalom and the poor girl to see what he has found.

"There are a couple of scrolls, if you want to look to see if they are Arcane or Divine.

"This Shortsword has been forged with magic; it has an enchanted blade.

"And here is a Bag of Holding; I haven't seen one of these in quite a while. If you guys don't mind, I'll hold onto it -- but we should treat it as belonging to all of us equally.

"And look here, there's a roughed-up suit of Leather Armor; I'm going to see if it's worth wearing."

.

After a minute or so of everyone looking at the items plucked from the dead Drow and Lanezra trying on the armor, he opens the Bag of Holding to see if there yet remains treasure inside.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson blinks, "A bag of holding? I have only heard of such relics. Sword was never one of my preferred weapons to train with. Let me see the scrolls. Absalom, perhaps you could aid me?" With the gnome's help, he looked over the scrolls, attempting to identify their content.

Not sure if that requires a roll. Here's one, minus the bonuses: 1d20 ⇒ 8. Arcana is +0, Religeon is +2


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

(If it's not a Spellcraft roll I can check the Scrolls: +7 Religion, +5 Arcane.)


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Spellcraft isn't a skill on my character sheet


Human GM

Inside the bag:

Reaching into the bag, you grab a gold disk, with a image of three stars on it. You also fine a intricate, beautiful dagger, and what appears to be a piece of parchment detailing the practical use of magic in the everyday world. Looking a bit deeper, you find a large amount of silver pieces (320), and what looks to be 40 days of rations

No check is needed, and spell craft is not a skill in 5e :)
The scrolls are those of spider climb and remove curse. The sword is indeed magic, and, mechanically, is a +2 shortsword. The leather armor is mechanically a +2 studded leather armor[/ooc]


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson, looks at the one scroll. "Ah, this one allows the removal of a curse. The other does not appear to be a prayer that I may use. Absalom, can you decypher this?" He hands the gnome the second scroll.

In 5E, is there a distinction between 'arcane' scrolls and 'divine' scrolls, like there was in previous editions?


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Absalom takes the scroll and begins poring over it. "It would appear that this is an arcane scroll that allows an individual to climb surfaces as a spider would." Adjusting his glasses, he looks up at his companions. "In the right circumstances, this could prove to be invaluable."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Looking closely at the Three-Stars gold disk, Lanezra considers the item.
Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Knowldege Arcane: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Knowledge History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
And apply whichever is appropriate.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson holds up the other scroll, "As could this, but I pray we don't need it." He tucks the scroll away in his pack for safe keeping.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"It wouldn't be fair for me to take the enchanted armor and sword. Carson, I think you should keep the sword even though you prefer your old weapon. And my vote is that Absalom keeps the scrolls, dagger and money."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The soldier nods. "You definitely need the armor. There is no fair in life. I will take the sword. Perhaps we will need it." He removes the scroll from his pack and hands it to Absalom. "If we need to use that, it is good to know that we both can use it."

I don't know if my past statement is valid. Don't know enough about 5E.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

After explaining the history and significance of the gold disk with three stars to the others,....

"Well, let's not tarry in this place where the toe-jam of Zuggtmoy knows we are; let's move off and try to find a defensible spot to camp."

Lanezra offers a shoulder to the young lady on which to help her walk and begins to move off from the fight scene.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

And what would the significance of said disk be?

"Perhaps we should head back to the Hunter's Circle. They may not know of this threat, and should be warned to stay away from here, and to watch their own for odd behavior." The soldier-priest takes position on the other side of Celia, aiding her back to the myconid camp.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

I don't know yet but I'm hoping it's something from my 27 Religion roll -- or at least my 14 History roll.


Human GM

Going to have to check the dm guide about the arcane and diving scrolls. But for now, here is what Lanezra finds out about the scrolls:

Lanezra:

It appears the disk is a holy symbol, which you can easily tell. Looking closer, you remember that it is the Holy Symbol of Lliira, the Goddess of Joy. Just touching the holy symbol brings a bit of joy into your soul, making you feel just a bit better about your predicament


Human GM

It does not say anything about arcane and divine scrolls, so I assume that anyone can read the scroll, at it does not say otherwise


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Ahh, here it is. p200 Spell Scroll: "If the spell is on your cast list you can use an action to read it...otherwise the scroll is illegible." That pretty much answers the question. No difference between arcane and divine. If it is on your spell list, you can read and cast it.


Human GM

Thanks Carson. On another subject, the potential player has pm'ed me back, and has said no. I'll pm one more person, and then start up a recruitment thread.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Once the group has returned to the Circle of Hunter's Carson will use the remaining healing he has. He will first tend to his companions, then to Celia, and the Myconid hunters.

"I suggest we rest for a while, and then talk to the myconids about the dangers of that place. They should stay away from there, until they can mount a powerful onslaught against the Lady of Rot." He looks at his other companions, "And we need to decide what our part in this will be. We have returned Stool to his people. Do we participate in this conflict with Zuggtmoy or do we set out on our way to return our fellows to their home and us to ours?"

I have one L1 slot left and 2 L2 slots. I can use them all for Cure Wounds if needed. Please feel free to speak up if you are injured and need healing. My prepared spells will be updated after we take a long rest.

Cure Wounds L1 Slot: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Cure Wounds L2 Slot: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (6, 8) + 6 = 20
Cure Wounds L2 Slot: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (7, 5) + 6 = 18

I don't remember if I used my Channel Divinity yet, but if not, that's an additional 15 points to share amongst whomever. I'll take the first roll for 13 HP to bring me up to full at 21 hp.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Agreed."


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"I for one could definitely appreciate a good rest," Absalom says.
And I'll take some of that healing offered.


Human GM

3 Points of Channel Divinity was used, in case you need to know Carson. It can be seen here:http://paizo.com/campaigns/OutOfTheAbyss/gameplay&page=14#696 :) Also, as for recruiting a new player, the person I pm'ed did not reply :( Does anyone know anyone who would be interested?
Heading back to the circle of hunters, you once more see Loobamub. Seeing you hobble back to the Circle, missing one memeber (the myconid) he rushes towards you What happened!


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The warrior priest explains the strange behaviod of the one myconid after the grick hunt, and the assault by the agents of Zuggtmoy. "They kept on mentioning a marriage; a wedding between the Lady of Decay and Demogorgon. Tying this in to the sightings of the Prince of Demons at I'm gonna butcher this name... Sloopdilipoop, we may have a problem of Abyssal proportions. I'd suggest keeping a close rein on your hunters until more can be learned about this situation."


Human GM

Loobamub looks scared That explains it....


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Once they have explained the situation to the myconids, Carson pulls his companions aside. "OK, so what are we doing here? We've still got a couple more of the original prisoners we've agreed to get back to their homes, and then we can see about us getting home. I don't think we are experienced enough, or prepared enough, to take on a demon queen and her army of fungaloid minions. What are your thoughts?

Remind me again, what other NPC's are with us? Topsy and Turvy? Anyone else?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Well, escaping the Underdark is a good idea -- though I do have a feeling that Oghma has plans for me here -- he did come to me in that dream I had.

"My thoughts are thus: We continue what we've been doing, bringing victims and helpless folks home -- and on the way, when we see monsters or demons, we kill them if we can and run away if we can't.

"And of course, we learn what we may learn, whether we can use that information in the near future or not. ....We bring Topsy & Turvey home and kill any bad guys along the way."

.

I ditto Carson's question about NPCs with us. I must admit I've had no idea this entire campaign who or even how many NPCs were with us. Heck, the first couple months or so I didn't know who was a PC and who was an NPC. I just waited and let PbP-posting-attrition take its course and got to see who was still posting a few months in. I'm clueless as to who is still with us if anyone at all.

Carson and I have been posting from the beginning -- and I finally got used to Carson's alternate alias (GM Hands of Fate). And now Absalom's been posting for a while -- and I'm hoping he realized my PC was a Scholar/ Knowledge-Skills freak, too, and is okay with that. As for the rest: ....Stool, um, ....Topsy & Turvey, um, .... anyone else-- no idea. That aspect of the campaign was completely lost to me (hope it isn't important).

(more than) Enough said.


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"We also have Celia," Absalom adds, assisting his companion to a resting place. "She is in no condition fit to travel at this time."

The gnome looks thoughtful for a moment. "Perhaps we can make an arrangement," he says, turning to Loobamub. "It is clear that both our parties are not at their strongest right now. Addressing the myconoid, Absalom continues. "In exchange for shelter and nourishment, could we act as hunters and protectors for your people, at least until we gather strength for our journey?"

i have no problem with Lanezra being a knowledge/scholar/skill monkey. It's a team game, and I feel I fill an important slot as the resident arcane magic user. and i get to throw fire at monsters. always a bonus :)

Do want to add that we have Celia as well to take care off, and she is not fit to travel, as far as I'm aware, having been recently saved from the brink of a fungal death.


Human GM

Stool is staying in Neverlight Grove, but here are the other NPC's:
Eldeth
Topsy
Turvy
Jimjar
Celia
Sorry about adding so many npc's. I could put them in the background more, or pretend that some of them never came along, if you want?

Loobamub nods at Absalom I would accept that, before gesturing towards the rest of you If the rest of you agree?


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson nods. "Celia will be coming with us, so she needs to be healthy enough to get along without constant assistance. Staying here and assisting in hunting and defense of the community is acceptable.

Could we put what NPCs are with us, their race and their home in the Campaign Information, so we know where we need to go before we can go home? Also, while we wait for Celia to recover, are we going to be role playing, or do we fast forward to when she is healthy enough to travel? As much as I enjoy RP, this is PBP, and I would rather not take weeks/months to role play out her recovery time.


Human GM

Yeah, we'll fast forward. After all, if you plan to stay for a long time, or Celia takes a long time to heal..... As for the npc thing, I'm glad to say that multiple people in the new recruitment thread are interested in playing the npcs! I'll get right to posting the info on the campaign info tab


Human GM

Looks like the majority of people have decided to stay in Neverlight Grove. I will fast forward now. Also, during your stay, you are introduced to two Sorveigns, or leader: Phylo, and Basidia. You are also given a little mmushroom house to reside in while Celia heals.

As you reside in Neverlight Grove, waiting for Celia to heal and helping the community along the way, you notice something, well, odd about one of the community leaders... Sovereign Phylo, who according to Stool, was once very friendly, is creating dissent in the community. He believes that Neverlight Grove is only meant for Myconids. Every time you go outside, around half of the myconids seem to regard you with open hostility, while others regard you with sympathy.

It will take around 2 weeks for Celia to finally heal, but at the end of the first week, some of the myconids have decided to try and force you out. A few of them are currently heading towards your little makeshift mushroom house, accompanied by Sorveign Phylo. However, Soveign Basidia, the other leader, has decided to try and convince Phylo to stop, and is currently with you, waiting till Phylo comes


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

"So it seems our welcome has worn out." The medic says as he checks Celia out. "Celia, you need another week before you'll be fully ready for travel. Sovereign Basidia, we are thankful for your hospitality. You say that Phylo is acting odd. We can only assume that he is under the sway of Zuggtmoy, as are several of the other myconids. We do not have the numbers nor the strength to go up against the Lady of Decay at this time. Unless we can figure out a way to break that influence, it is only going to spread. Absalom," Carson looks to the gnome arcanamancer. "Are you aware of any way to block this influence? I assume it is transferred with the spores, like the myconid communication." Turning back to the Sovereign, "Is there another place we can retreat for the next week that Phylo would not find threatening? Maybe a remote outpost?" Turning to Lanezra, "Worse comes to worse, but on your best face, friend. You are the most diplomatic among us. Hopefully you can buy us the time we need.


Human GM

Basida shrugs. Near by, there is a small makeshift house where a group of hunters live. It is a bit out of the way, but I do not know if the residents are under the sway of.....Zuggtomoy


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Sorry I'm so busy; I'll get back to roleplaying asap--
*Lanezra will vote for staying on the periphery of the community, both to avoid confrontation and demonic influence (from the water, the air, the dreams....). ....He will note to his companions this is what happened in the Duergar town and maybe even the Kuo Toa village where we saw the Aspect of Demogorgon. ....He will use Diplomacy and Sense Motive to gather information, but not his specialty (Bluff) because they're our allies.*

General rolls DM can check when a DC is ready:

Investigate: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Persuasion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Insight: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson nods, "Whatever is going on down here, it is spreading. Lanezra, Absalom, lets go check out the hunter hut and see if it is a place we can retreat to for the week. Eldeth, Topsy, Turvy, Jimjar, we need you to stay with Celia, and keep her safe until we make sure this refuge is safe." He turns back to Basidia, "Thank you, if you can give us a couple hours to check this out, we will be out of your...", the priest pauses before he says hair. "we will be out of your mycellium shortly."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Lanezra begins heading to the hunter's hut with Carson.


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"Indeed," Absalom adds. "One would think any assistance we have provided would be more than sufficient for a simple respite and preparation before we leave you forever."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Agreed, when we return I want to speak with Sorveign Phylo, see if I can sense whether he just doesn't like outsiders or if he seems, you know, tainted with madness."


Human GM

Basida looks embarrassed You may stay as long as you like after we defeat this threat

You soon reach the hunters hut, a small, out of the way building, just as Basida said it would be. The lead hunter, who appears to be a tough, stubborn ol' myconid greet you at the door. He peeks out suspiciously, but, realizing that you fit the fit the description of the rumors he has been hearing, opens the door and lets you in. Inside, it is sparse, with only a small mushroom stool, bed, and table in the corner, and a few spears leaning against a wall.
Do you want to talk to the myconid, or should we fast forward to your second conversation with Basida?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Thank you for allowing us to stay here; I wish we could give a token of our gratitude."

After introductions are made and the stubborn ol' Myconid becomes a little comfortable with our presence, Lanezra will try to get some information....

"Master Hunter, can you tell us about Sorveign Phylo? He wants us shunned because we are outsiders to The Grove. You are wise; does this sound like something about which he would feel so strongly, or does it seem out of character for the leader of the Myconids?"

(Please let me know whether Basida is with us.)


Human GM

Basida is not with you
Sorveign Phylo seems to be afflicted by a sort of madness....


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"This is a grave concern, Master Hunter. Either some foul taint is spreading in the community from an Abyssal source or something Abyssal is specifically targeting the Myconid Council Chief."


Human GM

The myconid nods Yes, yes.... He does not talks again, and seems deep in thought.

In around 10 minutes, Basida arrives (Along with Eldeth) Seems like a good way to have Eldeth be in the same place as the rest of the party . She seems both angry and disappointed. It appears that our community has been divided. Phylo has openly pledged his allegiance to Zuggtomoy, and is still attempting to force you out. It seems his plan is to wait till the unholy madness affects everyone in the Grove. What is your plan?


NG Half-Orc Warpriest 12 | Status: VoB: Str, VoM: Cha, SO: Seven.teen, Resist Fire 30
Stats:
AC 22 (T 11 FF 21) | CMD 28 (+5 vs Trip) | Init +2 | Speed 30ft | F +16 R +10 W +16 | Perc +22 SM +19 (Low-Light)
HP 89/123 | Fervor 10/10

Eldeth thinks deeply about the possibilties, choices to be made, factions to join or help... and it all comes down to one thing.

-Mmmm... is there something we can do to stop this "madness"?- she asks.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"We don't yet know the source -- nor even the nature of it. We need information. ....Or to just get out of the Underdark."


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"Even If we do leave, we've found no one capable of avoiding this madness. Do we not owe some sort of responsibility to see this madness dealt with, lest it reach the surface?"


NG Half-Orc Warpriest 12 | Status: VoB: Str, VoM: Cha, SO: Seven.teen, Resist Fire 30
Stats:
AC 22 (T 11 FF 21) | CMD 28 (+5 vs Trip) | Init +2 | Speed 30ft | F +16 R +10 W +16 | Perc +22 SM +19 (Low-Light)
HP 89/123 | Fervor 10/10

-Absalom is right- says Eldeth, serious. -Knowing about it and doing nothing is as bad as spreading the disease ourselves. We should investigate it.

She sits on a rock near his companions and continues.

-I'm no scholar or doctor, but I'm willing to help with some of the most physical tasks. We just need a plan.


Human GM

I have heard of a wedding or something like that... An unholy union somewhere near the Circle of hunters outpost. I know that you have visited it before, and we're almost killed, but perhaps, now that you are stronger....


Human GM

Does everyone in the group want to go to Blindingstone? I can simple skip ahead a few hours, and set up an encounter (i.e Phylos supporters) to make things more interesting and jump start the game?

701 to 750 of 750 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Out of the Abyss 5e All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.