Out of the Abyss

Game Master ULTRAGEEK


1 to 50 of 750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Human GM

This is the game play thread for my Out of the Abyss campaign. After everyone reports in, I shall post the intro


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

Dot


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

dot


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Standard Bearer Jarroc, reporting in, Sir!


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Here and ready to break the bonds, the drow-chains holding me prisoner in this dank Underdark.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Here is Uran (formerly Foddyn) Reusing old profile, hence the name change!


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

@Synna: Where exactly does the concept of hybrid character creation come from? I do not recognize it from the core books.


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14
Dieredon D'atarisian wrote:
@Synna: Where exactly does the concept of hybrid character creation come from? I do not recognize it from the core books.

In the DMG, there's a section on "creating custom races". I used that advice to hybridize 2 subraces rather than creating a whole new race. Same with the class - I just used the advice in the DMG to hybridize the two classes that had the features I wanted my character to have. Technically haven't broken any Core rules to create my homebrew, so I thought I'd see if I could get a DM to let me play her.


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

Interesting...


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Does anyone know how this starts? If our dm is too busy with rl right now to get us started, I'd kinda like to get some roleplay going, just to keep things active until the dm gets back.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

The DM said we start out having been captured by Drow and taken to the Underdark (That's why I didn't buy starting equipment.). I think it's reasonable to assume we'll all start in the same prison cell or something like that trying to escape.
.... In any case, you're right; let's get something going until the DM begins and he can retroactively tweak a few things if need be.

.

"Did any of you see any other Fey get taken by the Drow? My friends aren't here; I think they're dead."

"My name is Lanezra."


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen inspects the cell, looking for any sort of weakness she might be able to exploit.

I am assuming we have at best dim light, but more likely it's darkness - Drow don't strike me as the type to brightly illuminate their slave pens. Does everyone have Darkvision of some sort?

Sen glances over at Lanezra, then goes back to her (most likely futile) inspection. Sen, she says shortly. And no, I have not seen any other Fey lately.


Human GM

Sorry about the late post. Will start the campaign from here. Lanzera, sorry about not telling you earlier, but you bought starting equipment that was taken by the drow. If you wish, you can buy the equipment and pretend you already had it, or you could pm me a list of weapons you would like, so your character could obtain it sometime in the adventure
Captured by the drow! You would not wish this fate upon everyone, yet here you are-locked in a dark cave, the cold, heavy weight of metal tight around your throat and wrists. You are not alone. Other prisoners are trapped in here with you, in a underground outpost far from the light of the sun.
Your captors include a cruel drow priestess who calls herself Mistress Ilvara of House Mizzrym. Over the past several days, you've met her several times, flanked by two male drow guards, one of which has a mass of scars along one side of his face and neck.
Mistress Ilvara likes to impress her will with scourge in hand, and finds great pleasure in reminding you that her life now belongs to her. "Accept your fate, learn to obey, and you might survive" These are the words you hear most often.

Each of you has been in the slave pen for 6 days, and has conversed with various other slaves. If you would like to play out these interactions in detail, please tell me. If not, I shall give a summary. First, please talk among yourselves. You have also been forced to do menial labor, including hauling the water barrels, cleaning the outpost, and operating the lift.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"We were playing with some Elves in The Moonwood: A game of "keep-away" with their Holy Symbols. Custard borrowed them the other night; she's my Quickling friend. Puck, Caliban and Nym kept the Elves chasing us; they're Pixies. Polixines and I ran interference. We're good at that because he's big for a Grig and I was raised by Dwarves."

"I guess the Drow saw us before we saw them. ....And that was the end of our fun."
.
.
.
.
"Where are you from?"


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Everywhere and nowhere. I'm not welcome there anymore.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

In the far corner, a badly beaten form slowly rises up from the damp, cold floor. Wearing only tatters of cloth for clothing, the figure a gnome by the looks of it, slowly stretches out his battered limbs. For some reason the Drow took particular interest in the diminutive humanoid.

He slowly moves over to the fetid pot near the middle of the cell, and removing some of the scraps of cloth, strains a few precious drops over his cracked lips and down his dry throat. Coughing and clearing his throat, he finally acknowledges the other members of the cell.

How long?, he croaks to the nearest prisoner.


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

Too long...we must seek a way out.

From the shadows, a chained Moon Elf steps forward.

I am Dieredon D'atarisian, Knight of Myth Drannor. We need to start taking note of their comings and goings to establish a pattern. Also, which filthy drow has the keys?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Myth Drannor! I've studied that legendary place -- I was trained as a Sage, you see.

"But yes, you are right; we must keep observant of all things if we hope to escape. ....And take our chance once it presents itself."

.

Moved to pity for the Gnome, a feeling Lanezra had never experienced before, he is unsure how to comfort or console. Childhood with the Dwarves had all been study and work, work and study -- and his free life in the Moonwood was all about playing pranks on Elves and Gnomes.

The feeling of pity slowly becomes a feeling of shame and remorse and Lanezra avoids the Gnome -- avoids his own humiliation.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Nodding to the elf in agreement, Uran surveys the room, looking for anything which might help them in their escape. He moves slowly at first, but once warmed up, seems to gain energy and resolve.

Is there anyone else in the cell with us, or just the PC's?


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

I was assuming we had a few moments of alone time. How far do our shackles allow us to reach?


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The last to wake today, his sleep troubled by dreams of the slaughter of his unit, the blond man groaned as he rolled over. Fitting he should be the last to wake as he took the brunt of the beatings. Sitting up, he tests the bonds on his hands again, where they dig in and chafe. "I am happy to see all of your smiling faces this morning. What shall we be doing today? Brunch and then a trip to the beach on the sunless sea?" His attempt of humor doesn't go well, but despair must not be allowed to take hold.

Rising as much as the chains allow, he surveys the cave again. "Has anyone been able to determine where they are storing our gear, or how many there are of them apart from the b!%&% and her two pups? Let's go over our assets again." He moves among those in the cell, checking their wounds for any sign of infection, and their general health.

Not being familiar with 5E, can I cast clerical spells without my holy symbol if they do not have a material component?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"You're a Healer?
...."May I ask, to what god do you pray?"

Grand Lodge

DM, can you open up Discussion so we can have out-of-game dialog there instead of here? I was going to talk about starting equipment and ask everyone where they live (I'm in FL.).


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The man nods to the fey's question, as he examines the fey. "I am a hand of Helm, the Ever Watchful. While he grants me powers to heal the wounded, his tenets are strict and militaristic, to guard and protect. My weapon and shield are just as much His tools as the healing hand.

Carson rubs the beard stubble on his chin. His order mandated a clean-shaven face, but he always wondered what he would look like with a beard. "What of you? You say you are a sage. Are you a student of the arcane?"

As he speaks with Lanezra, he uses a small chip of stone to begin cutting into the flesh of his hand, muttering prayers under his breath in a beautiful language.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Uran shuffles over to the others and joins in the quiet conversation.

"Names Uran. I am, or was, a scout for my clan of Rock Gnomes and a village of Deep Gnomes. I lead merchants and patrols between our two settlements, that is until we were ambushed by the Drow and their goblinoid minions. I am well versed in the ways of the underdark. If we get free, I can get us back to the surface, I am sure."


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

That would be...helpful. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We must first escape and reclaim our gear - or at least acquire some weapons.


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Looking around the cell, Uran attempts to find anything with which he can fashion a weapon.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson nodded as he listened to the elf and the gnome. "The Underdark is a dangerous place, and your skills will definitely come in handy, Uran. Turning to the elf, "Sen, is it? I wish our meeting was under better circumstances, but we will soon find out just what we are all made of. On the escape," He pauses to look around. "Do any of you have skill with opening the locks on these shackles, or getting the keys off our captors without them noticing? There are certain powers that Helm grants me that I can perform with just a word, but most require my hands to be free." He holds up his shackled hands. "I am unsure if I will be able to harness the power for those prayers with these on."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Alas my skills are academic and diplomatic. I can bluff and cajole my way out of most situations -- and I am well learned. As for more practical, mundane -- hands-on skills, I fall short."

Perhaps it is time to change all that. It was foolish not to learn fighting from the Dwarves when their clan fostered me. And now I may be a slave the rest of my life because of it.


Human GM

Discussion Thread!

For Uran:
You see a sharp piece of flint, as well as a rusted iron bar. The flint is just within your reach, while the iron bar is within Carsons reach

Will let you talk until you are ready, then the game will move on :) Say ready when you are done. When you are done, will have the other prisoners come in :)


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Deftly palming the piece of flint, Uran whispers to the cleric.

"Just over there...an iron bar...see if you can reach it!"


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson scoots over to where the gnome is. Spying the bar, he looks around to make sure th guards are not around, before reaching out. His fingers close around the cold rusty metal? He quickly pulled it a little closer, before picking it up do as not to make too much noise.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"When the time comes I can create a diversion: I can begin a conversation with a guard or turnkey; I can distract them with words while you use that bar to do, uh, whatever it is you do. I am very good at talking and coming up with quick conversational gambits."


Human GM

Just as you Lanzera speaks, all of you hear a voice in your heads. The voice speaks in halting common, and sounds frightened ."He..hello... a..re you pla...planning to escape?......I...I could help?"


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen looks around, frowning slightly, trying to figure out where the source of the silent voice might be coming from. Yes...We were discussing an escape attempt, she says quietly. Who are you? More importantly, where are you? We'd be happy to have your assistance, but it would be useful if we knew where to find you.

arcana: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14 to figure out how this person is communicating and where they are relative to us.


Human GM

You can see a small myconid sprout hiding in the shadows, looking fearful. Aided by the fact that you can tell he is a myconid, you know he is communicating with spores. That have no harmful affectsMy n..name is ..Stool...I..I could h..help you f..find sanctuary in m..my old home


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The soldier blinks and turns his head around, looking for the source of the voice. Spying the animated mushroom, his eyes grow wide as he hefts the iron bar in his hand. "Under Helm's Watchful Eye, what is THAT?" A talking, walking mushroom. The drow must have slipped something into our gruel, he thought to himself.


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Ignoring Jarroc's outburst, Sen addresses Stool. We would welcome your help, and sanctuary would be appreciated.

Since it can talk/communicate In Common, I can assume it is classified mechanically as a creature . Do we know, in-universe, if such a creature is independently mobile? If not, I would like to ask Do you need assistance moving, or can you travel on your own?


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Smiling, Uran approached the diminutive myconid, breathing in the spores of communication as he does. He speaks in the language of the underdark.

Undercommon:

"Greetings wee one. I am sorry to see you in this place. I will do whatever I can to see you freed from these dark elves. Where is your old home?"


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

Dieredon steps forward, almost serenely, and looks quizzically at the Gnome communicating with the myconid. He adds in Undercommon, as well, to the myconid.

Undercommon:
Do you have a means to get us all out of here?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Hello Stool, thank you for your offer. We are from the Surface, though, you see and while we will certainly accept sanctuary among your Myconid brothers and cousins -- soon we would want to return to where the sun shines on flowers and clouds provide gentle rains.

"In the meantime though, yes of course." Then to everyone: "Let us work together to gain escape."

Lanezra walks to the edge of our enclosure to keep a lookout.
"I volunteer to stand guard watching from the edge of our dungeon cell. Though I am not yet a competent warrior, keeping my eyes open is something I can do."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Looking at the others talking to the mushroom, Carson comes to the realization that the talking mushroom is not a hallucination, but rather a real creature. He had never seen anything like it. As the gnome and the elf communicated with it in an unknown language. "Ask it if...", he begins, but then changes his tactic, "Stool, do you have a way to remove these shackles from us? We would be in better shape with these restraints off."


Human GM

"Y..you could try slipping out of them" Stool seems more confident, now that he knows you mean him no harm. Suddenly, you hear a gruff voice."That's what I tried. Never been an agile one, though"


Human GM

Yep, he can move on his own. :)


Male Rock Gnome Ranger 1 || HP 12/12 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Uran looks over to where the voice came from.

"Who is that? Come on, show yourself!"


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Sen points out the tiny creature to Uran. Stool isn't humanoid like us. He's also significantly smaller in size, which makes it hard to see him. But he's right over there.


Human GM

In the direction of the new voice, you see a female dwarf."Me name's Eldeth. Eldeth Feldrun. Was a shield dwarf, and me's thinks ye should be going to Gauntlgrym


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Ugh, a dwarf, I haven't seen one since I was a teen. I spent my whole childhood trying to escape my foster clan and now I realize how immature I was. Maybe it's time to change all that, too.


Male Moon Elf Fighter (Arcane Archer of Kyonin) 3; HP: 28/28; AC:14; Initiative: +3; Passive Perception: 12; Second Wind 0/1 (SR or LR); Action Surge 0/1 (SR or L); Arcane Arrow 1/2 (SR or L)

Look, I hear alot of suggestions about where we should go, but no one is offering a means to get out of this cave.


Female Elf Sniper/Scout 1 || HP 8/8 || AC 13 || Init +2 || Passive Perception 14

Are we in a natural cavern, an artificial structure, or some kind of hybrid enclosure? How high is the ceiling (or can we not see it)? Don't forget that I have extended darkvision.

1 to 50 of 750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Out of the Abyss 5e All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.