Out of the Abyss

Game Master ULTRAGEEK


551 to 600 of 750 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Seeing the beast falter, Carson lashes out with the broken haft of the bannerpole. Well, at least I know now the capabilities of one of our new companions. The other looks able enough in a fight. Hopefully we can keep each other alive to see the sun.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 blunt damage.


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

Mordal lunges, pouncing at the beast like a feral animal. Striking with insane speed like a viper, plunging the worn blade. He seems almost in ecstasy entering the fray.

Rapier attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 111d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Human GM

Carson's attack strikes the carrion crawler, and manages to break through it's armored plates, while Mordal's attack bounces off and hits some nearby fungi.


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

did it fall prone? Also, by AOE, did you mean AoO?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Uh, I thought we were leaving the poor thing alone?...."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson calls out, "That was before it decided to try and make us lunch! Perhaps a little pain will deter it and scare it off!"


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"I'll make sure the way is clear if you guys need to get out fast; holler if you want me back up there fighting."

Lanezra, through the back, readies his halberd in case something comes from behind.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Assuming we get to act now

The priest prepares to take another strike at the armored aberration. "Get outa here, you....big bug!" as he brandishes his 'mace'.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


Human GM

It's not prone, and it's sorta untangling itself now. Also I did mean AOO, thanks :)
This happens:
The carrion crawler appears as if it's taking stock of the situation. Burned, bruised, and stabbed, it begins to slowly back way
Absalom and Mordal still need to do their AoO (sorry I wrote it as AoE) and their standard action)


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Mordai already got one attack in, but missed


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Muttering to himself, Absalom waves his hand once, then again. Two rays of fire arc through the cavern, headed towards the monstrosity that thought to harm them.

Attack: Fire Bolt: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Attack: Fire Bolt: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 9
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7

AoO and standard listed in singular post, if that works


Human GM

Both of Absaloms attacks hit, but he does very little damage. The monster simply shrinks away, the fungi now burning around him. Soon, it disappears into the shadows, awaiting its next prey.

Stool motions down your original route This way's shorter, but is more likely to have monsters Gesturing at the side tunnel, he says This ways longer, and it would take about a hour longer than the original route. However, there is a small chance it might lead to a submerged cave. Which way would you like to go?


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Only one hour longer? The possibly submerged cave is my vote. But either way is fine."


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson watches the creature slink away into the burning fungus. Turning, he follows his companions into the tunnel.

Carson nods at Stool and Lanzera. "I agree. We don't seem to be under any time constraints, so lets take the safer route. Lead on my fungaloid companion."


Human GM

Stool, who seems more confidant now that the giant centipede like creature is gone, crawls in through the small tunnel, and vanishes into the shadows.

The journey through the tunnel is quite slow, and for the first 30 minutes, you have to crawl on your bellies through what seems little more than a small hole. Soon, the tunnel expands, allowing you to stoop you head, and eventually stand up straight. The suffocating darkness presses on as you walk through the tunnel, which, several times, comes near enough to other tunnels that you can hear the faint sound of voices.

dc 15 perception check:

Straining your ears, you can hear what sounds like your drow captor, Mistress Illvara, shouting words in the drow language.

Soon, you come across a large cavern, which Stool quickly enters.

Pale cream and beige stalks grow thick and tall,
resembling a surface world forest. Fungi grow in
profusion everywhere. and it's hard to find anything
resembling a path between them. The giant caps of
zurkhwood mushrooms obscure your view of the
caverns ceiling, but luminescent fungi there give off a
shimmering aura. With each step taken on the soggy
ground, a rank scent of decay rises around you.

Stools excited voice sounds in your mind I'm home! Thank you, thank you so much!


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

"I have no place to be and have no desire how I get there." Mordal says darkly.


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Upon entering the cave, Absalom is completely entranced by the subterranean wonder around him. All else fades into the background as he leans in to examine a glowing mushroom.


Human GM

Absalom:
Leaning in closer to the mushroom, you recognize it as a barrelstalk. It is a large, cask shaped fungi, that, when tapped, can yield food or water


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Carson looks around the cave in awe. "Wow, Stool, this place is really something! I am glad we could get you home safe."

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Human GM

Carson:

You spot some mushrooms move slightly a few yards to the right of you

Suddenly, two of what look like walking, talking, mushrooms approach you. One of them is quite tall and lean, and begins speaking in your minds. Greetings, my name is Loobamub of the Circle of the Hunters. On behalf of our people, I welcome you to Neverlight Grove. Thank you for bringing this one home. He points towards Stool. Then, gesturing towards his other companion, he says We request your help. There is a threat to this colony that we need help eliminating, and we believe that you can help us deal with it

Everyone receives 113 xp from the encounter with the Carrion Crawler!


Human GM

What Loobamub and his companion look like


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"What is the nature of this threat and how do you assume we can help? I am Lanezra of the Surface, and we were hoping you would be willing to help us return to our home as we have helped others return to theirs. Nonetheless, we believe in helping where we may, especially in the struggle against Fiends. ....So, please continue regarding the threat."


Human GM

Thank you Lanezra of the Surface. There is a large wormlike creature terrorizing the grove.....we believe it is a gritch. We hope that you will be able to put it down, and bring it back to us


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Carson listens to the two new myconids offer. "If there is something we can do to help your community, I would be remiss if I did not assist." He ponders over the creature they call out, while he looks to his companions.

Nature: 1d20 ⇒ 20


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

A 'Gritch'? -- is it from Hell, ....or the Abyss? Does it serve Fiendish masters?

Lanezra looks skeptically at Carson and the others.

Just a random creature: They ought to handle that on their own.

"Master Loobamub, what is a Gritch? ....Carson, do you know of this creature?"


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

What do I know about this creature?


Human GM

Carson:

The gritch is a green wormlike creature that lives in caves and caverns. It hides in its lair till easy pray walks past, and when it catches sight of the prey, it lunges, drags it back to its lair, and eats. It preys on pretty much any creature, except for others gritchs. Over time, a gritch accumulates the possessions of its prey, which underdark explorers sometimes take for their own after killing the gritch

Loobamub's next sentence is tinged with nervousness ....It is a large, wormlike, predatory creature...Now that I think about it, we should not pressure guests with this. No, I shall send some of our hunters in. No guest, especially one that brought one of out kin back home, should have to face another monster. They are guests after all


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

"Perhaps we could travel along with the hunters?" Absalom suggests. "It would be fascinating to see your hunters at work, and I'm sure the beast's corpse would provide many insights into Underdark biology."


Male tiefling fighter 1 sorc 1

Mordal thinks over the words trying to remember if he has heard of the creature before.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

The priest nods. "I have heard of these things. They attack from their lair and drag their prey back to feed. I cannot speak for my companions, but I would be willing to hunt this beast with your hunters. I would not be true to Helm if I did not assist in protecting your community."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

Just pointing out that my comments in Italics were just thoughts (for roleplay). The Myconids weren't meant to 'hear' it; I was just having Lanezra think in-character. Of course, I have absolutely no problem taking out a Gritch -- and continuing in the Underdark. We just haven't been given motivation yet to stay.


Human GM
Lanezra wrote:
Just pointing out that my comments in Italics were just thoughts (for roleplay). The Myconids weren't meant to 'hear' it; I was just having Lanezra think in-character. Of course, I have absolutely no problem taking out a Gritch -- and continuing in the Underdark. We just haven't been given motivation yet to stay.

Yeah. I thought about it for a while and realized that the myconids would probably be sorta embarrassed that they asked their guest to kill a monster. But yeah, what I did was at least a bit affected by the italics. I'm sorry about that :)

The myconid nods excitedly. His voice appears in your mind again Thank you, thank you! We shall provide you with rest before we go out and remove the threat, of course! We have a bounty of food here! His "voice" falters a bit at the last sentence


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Insight to discern why the myconid's voice faltered: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Human GM

Carson:

You can detect a hint of annoyance when his voice faltered. It seems that this annoyance is not directed at you, but someone else.

The Myconid begins to lead you towards a small grove of mushrooms. He sits you down at the base of a large grey-stalked mushroom with a red top. As you sit down, any stress from your limbs is released, and you finally get a small bit of rest. Loobamub leaves and shortly returns with several bowls of flavorless, but nourishing, gruel. He quickly hands these to you, and says in your mind Now, you must rest and gather your energy before we hunt! Please, please, eat, and then we shall find the gritch and kill it!


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson accepts the food and, before eating, says a blessing over it. "Helm, we ask that you bless this food and nourish our bodies so that we may be strong and hardy when we face this beast."

Once alone, the priest suggests keeping their same watch schedule while others sleep. While they prepare to bed down, He comments, "When we hunt this thing, and when we find it, I will ask Helm to guide our strikes. I can also ward one of you, granting you sanctuary from the creature's attack, as well as shield another of you, making you more difficult to harm. Lanzera, in your unarmored state, I believe the shield blessing is most appropriate for you. Absalom, you have shown that you have some arcane power; you should stay back from the front line. Mordal, once combat begins, I'll need you at the front with me." He looks around at them. "Are there any other assets that I have missed?"

Casting purify food and drink. I know what mushrooms eat... and I'm sure we aren't getting mushroom soup! Will memorize bless, cure wounds, guiding bolt, sanctuary and shield of faith.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Ah, that will be a welcome boon, my friend. My polearm gives me the luxury of often being a step out of my enemy's reach but every bit of protection helps."

.

aside to Carson, quietly:
"I'm more concerned about that which we are hunting. You've studied beasts of Nature-- is this just some random creature that we're hunting with no malevolence or taint of evil at all?....
...."I mean, I guess I don't mind following you to help out these friendly Myconid, but doesn't it seem rather ruthless of us?
...."Maybe I just thought that part of being a Paladin was to limit our warfare to Fiends and Undead, to Evil Dragons and Evil Cultists, to the Things Beyond and the nefarious & vile.
"But you've had more experience with this kind of thing than I. I was a prankster in the Moonwood with the other Fey until I was taken to the Underdark. My Holy Vows are new.
"Yet this feels more like going to kill a black bear just because it might ransack some of your food stores. If you live in black bear country don't whine about defending your food from black bears!"

.

OoC:
Just trying to get in a bit of roleplay, here. Obviously I have no compunction against killing an Underdark monster. It just seems like something Lanezra could struggle with as he learns what it means to be a Paladin -- without disrupting anything.

Oh, and I decided that the plural of Myconid would be Myconid. What do ya think?


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Carson listens to Lanzera, and replies, "I have little training in natural beast lore, but I have heard many things around the campfires; tales told by other soldiers. You never know when that knowledge may come in handy. To my knowledge, these creatures are not fiends from the lower planes.

He pauses for a moment, and then, "A pair of rogue lions is using a small farming community as a hunting ground. At first, they pick off a sheep or a couple chickens. But then these lions start to go after the farmers' children, and after a couple more weeks, two farmers and a merchant turn up dead. The rest of the farmers come to the church, saying 'Help us! We are being attacked and our families are being killed by a pair of lions! We have tried to run them off, but they keep hunting our livestock, and killing our children! If this continues, we will not have enough food to feed our families, nor will we be able to harvest our crops if our oxen and horses are slain! If we cannot harvest our crops, the entire community will starve!' The church official, looks back at the farmers, and says "How is this a matter for the church? We fight spiritual evil, not hungry animals.'

He pauses for a moment, watching the young man's reaction. "Who is the more present evil? An unknown demon lord plotting and scheming in the depths of the abyss, or the church official who let his entire community perish, because the threat was not supernatural?"

OOC:
Absolutely no problem. Definitely enjoy this type of roleplaying, showing character evolution.


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Absalom listens to the conversation between Carson and Lanezra before offering his own opinion.

"It could be a matter of territory and survival of the fittest," he offers. "In the case of the lions, they were merely extending what they viewed to be rightfully theirs, and as may be demonstrated by the tale, they were right to do so when no challenger dared to defy them." Pausing for a moment, Absalom adjusts his spectacles and continues.

"That being said, were we to subscribe to such a notion that would place us at little better place than the animals themselves, and I for one would not like that to be said about me. On the contrary, we at least have a sense of obligation to repay the hospitality of our newfound associates."


Human GM

Will update when you guys are finished rp'ing :)


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

The priest listens to Absalom, "You have a point. The animal itself is not evil. It is just doing what it needs to survive. But we are a civilized people. Bringing Stool back to his tribe shows that. We could have left him to fend for himself and survive as he would, but we chose community. Something I mean to continue until we are all back where we belong."


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Well said, then. Let's go kill the marauding son-of-a-gritch!"


Human GM

You have the first peaceful rest in a long time Except for certain people. Look at the spoilers :). Sinking into the deep darkness of sleep, you feel more at peace with your surroundings: The hostile, unforgiving land of the underdark, now tainted by the touch of demons.

Lanezra:

As you sink deeper into sleep, the temptation of sleep overwhelms you. A blanket of darkness envelops you, but, suddenly, a ray of light pierces the blackness. You see a holy symbol appear out of no where. Golden armor suddenly envelops you, and for one moment, you feel as if you are the living embodiment of paladinhood. That moment quickly ends, and you are woken up

Mordal:

A vision of your father comes to you as you are to slip into the deep darkness of sleep. He is bathed in red, and comes to you as the living embodiment of evil. You feel as if you are suddenly falling, and looking around, you manage to twist and turn enough to see that you see that you are falling into the gaping maw of a red dragon. Just as you are about to fall inside, you are jolted awake

Around 9 hours later, you are shaken awake by Loobamub, who is now standing above you. He hands you more bowls of flavorless gruel, which yet again, is quite nourishing. After eating breakfast, Loobamub walks away and lets you prepare your spells and have a conversation.


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson stretches and goes through his morning exercises, making sure he is limber so as not to injure himself in combat. As he does, he comments "That was the most rest I've had since before I was captured. Stool, what is this fungus called that I used as a pillow? it is amazingly comfortable. After breaking his fast, he begins to strap on his armor.


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

"Indeed, I dreamt of my need for some worthwhile armor but am ready to move forward."


M Rock Gnome Wizard (Evocation) 3 / HP 20/20

Making a few notes in his journal, Absalom again looks around to examine the area they rested in. "Fascinating," he thinks aloud. Making a few calculations and minor adjustments, he returns to his companions.

"Today should be an exciting day," Absalom comments, with the optimism of a professor about to examine a new project. "I can't wait to see what a gritch looks like!"


Human GM

Loobamub soon returns, and he looks quite nervous. He motions for you to follow him, and begins heading towards a large mushroom of in the distance. As you get closer, you can see two myconids brandishing crude spears sitting under the giant cap of the mushroom. They quickly stand up. Greetings. Are you here to help us hunt the gritch?


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson steps under the giant mushroom cap. "Yes, we are here to assist in making sure this beast does not bother your tribe anymore. What can you tell us about this creature. I only have a rudimentary knowledge of them."


Human GM

The two myconids nod I am Mitho, and this is Hirt. Follow us, and we shall lead you to this monster! With that, the two myconids begins heading towards what looks to be a small stream. They soon cross it and begin heading north, and you some come across a large cave, just at the edge of the grove. They point inside The monster in in there! Gripping their spears, they slowly move forward towards a green figure barely visible inside the cave!

Everyone make init and stealth checks :)


LG Infernal-Tainted Fey, Paladin
Status:
HP currently 11 of 18 . . . . AC 16

whispers-- "I guess they're not much for dialog, Carson -- all business/ no knowledge."

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


Male Human Cleric (Helm) 3, AC 15, hp 21/21

Carson nods, "Hunters are a pragmatic people."

Stealth, with Disadvantage from Armor: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 81d20 - 1d6d1d20 ⇒ (8) - (12, 11, 15, 3, 13) = -46

OK lets try that again

Stealth, with Disadvantage from Armor: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 121d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17
Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 16

551 to 600 of 750 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Out of the Abyss 5e All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.